Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

So why did Linda Evans have the same hairstyle for nearly a decade of Dynasty?

Very unbecoming for an ex stenographer gold digger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184October 9, 2020 4:40 PM

They should market Halloween wigs in that style.

by Anonymousreply 1October 4, 2020 4:10 PM

I only heard of "The Big Valley" long after "Dynasty." I wouldn't have recognized her as the same person.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 4, 2020 4:23 PM

She was gorgeous and classy.

by Anonymousreply 3October 4, 2020 4:24 PM

Better than that little trollop Sammy Jean.

by Anonymousreply 4October 4, 2020 4:25 PM

Lee Majors couldn't look less interested. Does he not like girls or sumn'?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 4, 2020 4:28 PM

What a beauty. Wasn't she married to John Derek? In between Ursula and Bo?

by Anonymousreply 6October 4, 2020 4:29 PM

It could have been worse, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 4, 2020 4:29 PM

Similarly unflattering.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 4, 2020 4:30 PM

Procedures have turned her into a Zelig of perpetual starlets

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 4, 2020 4:31 PM

I don’t mind the hairstyle as much as that ashy gray color.

by Anonymousreply 10October 4, 2020 4:31 PM

I was a flight attendant and she got on in Seattle (she lived in Lakewood WA) I thought it was a petite look a like but she got into 1st class..the camera made her look taller and a bit bigger on Dynasty

by Anonymousreply 11October 4, 2020 4:32 PM

She was a little late to this style.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 4, 2020 4:33 PM

She never seemed natural. Not much of an actress either. Totally stiff and glammed up. Turned me off.

by Anonymousreply 13October 4, 2020 4:38 PM

Decades later, I still think of the Mad Magazine parody "Die-Nasty" when I think of Linda (and her hair). Mort Drucker was a genius.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 4, 2020 4:40 PM

It must be said that that hairstyle - whatever it's called - is so distinctive, that I can't imagine anyone but her in the character of Krystal wearing it. It's like Little Orphan Annie's mop-top, or Dick Tracy's profile.

Mort Drucker was indeed a genius.

by Anonymousreply 15October 4, 2020 4:55 PM

Farah?

by Anonymousreply 16October 4, 2020 4:57 PM

It reminds me of open curtains at a theater.

by Anonymousreply 17October 4, 2020 5:02 PM

[quote]Better than that little trollop Sammy Jean

Sammy Jo, you dried out British trollop.

by Anonymousreply 18October 4, 2020 5:05 PM

I have never understood this kind of "ashy" blonde that is too close to grey and ages the wearer. Connie Stevens, Linda Evans, Kim Novak, Doris Day....the list can go on and on. They all looked bad, and especially bad in technicolor movies.

by Anonymousreply 19October 4, 2020 6:37 PM

She was Dynasty. It was her story. Then Joan came in and owned Dynasty. I still prefered Linda and when she left it was certain the she was going to end.

by Anonymousreply 20October 4, 2020 6:46 PM

Anna Wintour has had the same hair style for the past 3 decades. And what does it say about Vogue magazine?

by Anonymousreply 21October 4, 2020 6:46 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 4, 2020 6:49 PM

Don’t shows make characters keep the same hairstyle, especially if it is iconic?

by Anonymousreply 23October 4, 2020 7:20 PM

Long running shows often shake up the visuals/styling.

by Anonymousreply 24October 4, 2020 7:23 PM

I hated it.

by Anonymousreply 25October 4, 2020 7:33 PM

All the money in the budget for wigs and hairstyling was diverted to shoulder pads.

by Anonymousreply 26October 4, 2020 7:34 PM

Ms. Linda Evans did vary her hairstyle during and after Dynasty, at least off screen.

She still was a damn fine looking woman in her 40's and into 50's until started messing with her face in a vain attempt to hang onto Yiannis Chryssomallis (aka Yanni).

He apparently wasn't bothered by the age difference between them, but Linda Evans as many older woman who managed to catch a young (and hot) man was insecure. So the procedures began; little here, bit more there..... In the end they broke up anyway, and now Linda Evans has lost the man, but that plastic surgery is forever.

P.S.

If anyone ever believed Linda Evans was coloring her own hair at home with Ultress I have a few bridges would love to sell...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 4, 2020 7:39 PM

Like many others Linda Evans was a jobbing television actress long before Dynasty. She was rocking a similar hairstyle even back when doing guest appearances on Mannix back in 1970's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 4, 2020 7:41 PM

What a stupid question. Because it was the 1980s and the style and color looked great on her.

by Anonymousreply 29October 4, 2020 7:42 PM

I wish I had that color. I can’t get the ash I want.

by Anonymousreply 30October 4, 2020 7:46 PM

Remember also 1980's was all about big hair. On Dynasty hairstylists took Linda Evans basic cut and pumped things up to give a fuller style.

That extra volume also pushed Ms. Evans hair away from her face, showing off and highlighting that wonderful bone structure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 4, 2020 7:48 PM

It looks like a bird was squatting to take a shit on her head

by Anonymousreply 32October 4, 2020 7:53 PM

[quote]I can’t get the ash I want.

And I can't get the ass I want.

by Anonymousreply 33October 4, 2020 7:56 PM

R6, yes, she was between Ursula and Bo and like them, John took nude photos of her for Playboy. John liked to show off his wives.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 4, 2020 8:00 PM

Are there any old nose pics of Linda?

by Anonymousreply 35October 4, 2020 8:14 PM

I waited on her once in a shop. Really nice woman. No pretense. No airs. Great looking. Funny.

by Anonymousreply 36October 4, 2020 8:18 PM

I’d rather characters keep hair continuity throughout their series run. A little deviation is ok, but some reruns of shows I immediately hate because I can place the season by the hair or style of the characters, even if it may have been an ok episode.

by Anonymousreply 37October 4, 2020 8:32 PM

Are you on the spectrum?

by Anonymousreply 38October 4, 2020 8:41 PM

Great tits back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 39October 4, 2020 8:46 PM

Why didn't Yawni marry her? They sure seemed crazy about each other.

by Anonymousreply 40October 4, 2020 8:56 PM

That was the choice - you could have big hair, short angry lesbian hair,Permed wreckage, or a bob.

Art Deco was still hip and many opted for a bob - the blonde coloring only worked for Graying blondes.

If I ever dye, I’m clairol #64. My mom held boxes against my head to compare color.

by Anonymousreply 41October 4, 2020 8:57 PM

[quote]I’d rather characters keep hair continuity throughout their series run.

How about their clothes?

by Anonymousreply 42October 4, 2020 9:03 PM

The blogger at Go Fug Yourself ridiculed the fancy peignoir sets she wore on [italic]Dynasty[/italic] as Frump-Ho nighties.

by Anonymousreply 43October 4, 2020 9:07 PM

John Derek was a fine looking young man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 4, 2020 9:09 PM

[quote] short angry lesbian hair

I resemble that remark!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 4, 2020 9:10 PM

Better picture:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 4, 2020 9:11 PM

Scroll down to see Linda Evans rocking some really big hair on Dynasty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 4, 2020 9:12 PM

John Derek looked like he would have made a fine young woman.

by Anonymousreply 48October 4, 2020 9:13 PM

Found a better picture!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 4, 2020 9:14 PM

As mentioned already in this thread, anyone who lived through 1970's or has followed that decade knows there was one main dominate hair style; that of Farah Fawcett Majors.

Girls from middle school age on through high school and college were all rocking some variation of Farah's hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 4, 2020 9:20 PM

Charlie's Angels was a huge hit in 1970's and Farah Fawcett (along with her hair) became a major star.

Linda Evans hair was close as she was going to get (given its length), to Farah's layered look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 4, 2020 9:24 PM

Was it a wig all nine years?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 4, 2020 9:25 PM

Correction for R51, meant "feathered", not layered per se.

Farrah Fawcett had been a Wella girl before Charlie's Angels and company got heaps of mail from women wanting to replicate FF's hairstyle. They eventually put out a pamphlet giving instructions....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 4, 2020 9:30 PM

Even in the '70s, Farrah switched it up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 4, 2020 9:31 PM

Amateur.

by Anonymousreply 55October 4, 2020 10:31 PM

[quote]Correction for [R51], meant "feathered", not layered per se.

Yet NOTHING for misspelling her name TWICE.

by Anonymousreply 56October 4, 2020 10:32 PM

She’s known to be a homebody even at the height of her fame, according to an eldergay I knew who worked as a costumer in LA during the 80s. Sure enough, I remembered this and went searching for evidence, apparently she wrote cookbooks first for her friends, and then actually got one published.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 4, 2020 11:19 PM

Was she John Derek’s first fembot?

by Anonymousreply 58October 4, 2020 11:29 PM

I’m suddenly seeing some Glenn Close in her face?

Is she still in the Ramtha cult?

Why did Yanni dump her? She did give off vibes of desperation back then.

She seems sensitive.

by Anonymousreply 59October 4, 2020 11:47 PM

Lots of blondes have really bad hair. Ever notice that? Angie Dickinson was another one. No matter the decade or style, never looked good. Ditto Lana Turner

by Anonymousreply 60October 5, 2020 1:41 AM

Well, Angie and Lana weren't really blondes...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 5, 2020 1:50 AM

I may be imagining this, but didn't she hawk some kind of beauty mask that had electrodes in it that was supposed to make you look younger? I'll try to find it.

by Anonymousreply 62October 5, 2020 2:00 AM

Miss Linda overtanned a tad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63October 5, 2020 2:05 AM

OMG IT IS REAL!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64October 5, 2020 2:15 AM

R50, Linda's hair was not like Farrah's. Farrah's hair tumbled about her face and suggested free-flowing good-times. Linda's hair was symmetrical, architectural.

by Anonymousreply 65October 5, 2020 4:26 AM

R64 reminds me of Georges Franju's 1959 horror classic "Les Yeux Sans Visage." Terrifying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 5, 2020 4:31 AM

Liza (R30), you’re too old to get the ash you want.

by Anonymousreply 67October 5, 2020 4:35 AM

Linda/Krystle became more and more robotic as the show went on. By season 9 when she left with a "brain tumor", the characters all started admitting things like, "You know she just hasn't been all there the past few years."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68October 5, 2020 4:38 AM

I thought Linda was Barbie doll cute in her '60s upswept 'do

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 5, 2020 4:40 AM

Did Linda get along with BOTH Fallons and BOTH Stevens and BOTH Amandas? Not forgetting BOTH Adams, but Adam #2 was only in that Dynasty mini-series wrap-up (now on YouTube).

by Anonymousreply 70October 5, 2020 4:53 AM

R70 she’s friends with Pamela Sue Martin. They were very close during the reunion on CBS in 05. The other actors were probably just work acquaintances.

by Anonymousreply 71October 5, 2020 2:32 PM

Only real reason one had for watching Dynasty was to gaze at Stephen Carrington played by first Al Corely, then Jack Coleman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72October 6, 2020 3:52 AM

Not one cast member got along with that 2nd "Amanda" Karen Cellini - She absolutely sucked, she looked older than Joan

by Anonymousreply 73October 6, 2020 4:30 AM

Al Corely was much hotter than his replacement. Why did he leave the show?

by Anonymousreply 74October 6, 2020 4:49 AM

Al was banging Carly Simon and wanted to be a recording artist. He released one album - He's no Cheryl Ladd...

by Anonymousreply 75October 6, 2020 4:51 AM

What did Forever Krystle and Carrington smell like?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76October 6, 2020 5:00 AM

Always found her extremely offputting when I watched the show as a child with my grandparents.

by Anonymousreply 77October 6, 2020 5:01 AM

Al Corley wanted the role of Steven Carrington due to the (then) hugely controversial role of the character being the first out gay man on a major network drama/television program. Mr. Corley felt he could "exploit" and grow the role which was in totally uncharted territory.

When the suits came up with an idea of storyline where Steven Carrington would be "cured" of his homosexuality, Al Corely would have none of it, and quit.

Few things about the 1980's must be kept in mind. Yes, it was the "go-go" decade of wealth and conspicuous consumption. But it also was the time of Ronald Reagan and rise of GOP "Moral Majority" party. This while HIV/AIDs epidemic was unfolding not just causing a health crisis, but one in American society as well.

Thus you can see why the idea of an attractive, wealthy, openly gay man who seemed happy enough just wasn't going to fly with certain segments of American society.

by Anonymousreply 78October 6, 2020 5:06 AM

R74 I thought both Stevens were very sexy men, but Al Corley to me was the better actor. His Steven was such a tortured, sensitive, intelligent, unique soul. Dynasty in general jumped the shark very early — season 3 — and losing Al Corley was a big reason. He was the most fascinating character on the show.

by Anonymousreply 79October 6, 2020 5:10 AM

R78 I’m glad he stuck to his principles. The writing for Steven got worse and worse as the show went on. Well, all of the writing on Dynasty got stupid by season 3, but particularly the writing for Steven.

by Anonymousreply 80October 6, 2020 5:12 AM

Few television shows have had same impact as Dynasty. Streets were almost literally empty when it was on each week. Bars (gay and straight) had "Dynasty nights", as did college campuses and other places.

Uncle Charlies south showed Dynasty on a large screen television each week, and it was always packed. Every queen from drag on down had all the lines Alexis and Krystal down pat.

Highest rated episodes (and most copied or parodied) were the famous cat fights between Alexis and Krystal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 6, 2020 5:12 AM

Should correct myself at R78; Billy Crystal's character (Jodie) on Soap was the first out gay on evening television. But SOAP was a comedy, so will stick to statements about prime time evening drama.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 6, 2020 5:19 AM

R80

Nothing much really changed since 1980's and 1998 with arrival of "Will and Grace".

Once you establish a male character is out and gay, fine; but then what happens?

Have lived in NYC all my life and never known an attractive, well off, successful young white gay lawyer so attached to a fag hag like Grace Adler in my life. Someone like Sanford from SATC yes, that can see, but not Will Truman.

Fine Steven Carrington is gay, but that largely was in theory only was we never got to see much if anything remotely proving that as fact.

by Anonymousreply 83October 6, 2020 5:25 AM

R81, Paul Keenan (Tony) was so handsome. Unfortunately, he died of AIDS in 1986, at 31.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84October 6, 2020 5:30 AM

R84

Paul Keenan/Tony Driscoll was one fine tall cool drink of water.

Sadly HIV/AIDS trained behind Dynasty everywhere you turned; things reached an apex when Rock Hudson was brought on board.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85October 6, 2020 5:51 AM

Something about Dynasty - it was a show where the core cast was all well into middle age. They were glamorous and attractive people, but the main characters were all past their mid-forties, and the younger generation were into their adulthood. No teeny-boppers and relatively few twentysomethings per se.

It seemed that people wanted to see stories about adults. Nowadays, I'm not so sure.

That's probably partially why the reboot flopped. The cast was too young to have amassed the wealth and social power the original characters could claim.

by Anonymousreply 86October 6, 2020 5:54 AM

Dynasty, Falcon's Crest, The Colbys, and rest were "adult" evening soap operas IMHO.

Main characters were older persons at the top of their game, and they had been at it for sometime! That is how all managed to amass all that wealth and power, although for the ladies it seemed fiction followed real life in that most of them were adjacent to power/wealth via marriage.

Even now with the 2000's supposedly all about wealth, things just aren't same like 1980's. I mean where is Robin Leach and his "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous"?

You don't see women running around dripping in diamonds and furs; but one character from that era (Donald Trump) is now POTUS, who knew?

by Anonymousreply 87October 6, 2020 6:01 AM

It really says something when even college age kids would tune into Dynasty each week. Now, what do the young collegians watch? Everything seems to have been CW-ified, made palatable to young audiences by focusing on hot guys and gals in their 20s, fighting crime, supervillains or supernatural spirits.

by Anonymousreply 88October 6, 2020 6:19 AM

"So why did Linda Evans have the same hairstyle for nearly a decade of Dynasty?"

I'll have my amanuensis check the appointment book archive.

by Anonymousreply 89October 6, 2020 8:55 AM

R79 Jack was a fine replacement for Al. I think the show jumped the shark right after Moldavia. Even before Pamela Sue left, season 4 was decent even though they made Alexis empress of Denver, but understandable because Joan was hot at the time. Cracks were beginning to show season 5, but they still had Pamela Sue in flashbacks and big name guest stars to deter from it. John Forsyth said the show wasn’t the same without Pamela Sue and he’s right. She brought a charisma to the role which Emma Samms was no match for. Dynasty purists believe season 1, 2 and 9 were the best. Which is about right. Linda left and Joan was cut down in episodes for season 9 which allowed the show to breathe with better writing and other characters shown.

by Anonymousreply 90October 6, 2020 6:35 PM

Forsythe ^^^

by Anonymousreply 91October 6, 2020 6:36 PM

Did they ever explain why New Fallon not only looked different but had an English accent?

by Anonymousreply 92October 6, 2020 7:03 PM

R92 It happens.

by Anonymousreply 93October 6, 2020 7:04 PM

Thing about Dynasty is just when you thought you were out (as in not bothering watching any longer), Mr. Spelling pulled you back with introducing a new character, end of season cliff hanger or something.

Late Diahann Carroll arrival on Dynasty as Dominique Deveraux was epic!

This elegant, classy and glamorous woman of color entered La Mirage like she was fucking Queen Mary!

Scene was set up so perfectly and shows what Dynasty could do when on top of its game.

First one sees a train of luggage (from knees down), then a woman in white (carrying lynx fur), grandly striding behind (again from knees down). It is only when camera pans out you see it is a woman of color walking into La Mirage as if she owned the fucking place.

Queens everywhere from college dorm or rec rooms to gay bars just weren't ready.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94October 6, 2020 9:30 PM

As if her arrival wasn't enough, then came the famous shade fest between Alexis and Dominique.

Alexis was out classed and ranked by Dominique; the latter had the former's number and by end of scene Alexis knew it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95October 6, 2020 9:38 PM

I saw her on, I think, Celebrity Masterchef UK. Or Celebrity Hell’s Kitchen. She was a finalist with Ade Edmondson. When friends/family came for the final she was accompanied by an older gay man from California.

by Anonymousreply 96October 6, 2020 9:38 PM

Diahann Carroll was a great beauty but she was no Stephanie Beacham in the line delivery department. Stephanie was the best of them, and that includes Joanie Santangelo.

by Anonymousreply 97October 6, 2020 9:54 PM

[Quote] she was accompanied by an older gay man from California

Was it Mickey from "The Comeback"?

by Anonymousreply 98October 6, 2020 9:54 PM

Dynasty is before my time, but I'm seen some reruns. She's very generic looking. Pretty in a christian, Mrs. America kind of way. A trophy type for sure, but no one that bland looking can be called beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 99October 6, 2020 9:59 PM

R92 No. Tori Spelling of all people suggested Samms for the role to her father. Samms got better in the last season of Dynasty, but she was still never Fallon to me. One of the things that undermined the show was the weird recasts of the Carrington daughters. The producers really thought if they had John, Joan and Linda no one would notice the dumb recasts and bad writing. Wrong.

by Anonymousreply 100October 6, 2020 10:08 PM

Who should have been the Fallon recast?

by Anonymousreply 101October 6, 2020 10:12 PM

R87 in the 90s, primetime soaps made a comeback but with teenage and 20something characters, shows like 90210 and Melrose Place, both also by Aaron Spelling

They were fun but it wasn't the same as the 80s supersoaps

by Anonymousreply 102October 6, 2020 10:22 PM

[quote]Who should have been the Fallon recast?

Mischa Barton

by Anonymousreply 103October 6, 2020 10:26 PM

R97

Sable Colby/Stephanie Beacham had one of the best lines in opening of first episode of "The Colbys".

Dynasty had ended the previous season with Mr. and Mrs. Colby in Denver at some event or whatever with the Carringtons.

Opening of the Colbys Sable and her husband arrive back at their grand estate greeted in front hall by servants. A maid greets Mrs. Colby on the stairs as she makes her way up towards her bedroom with "How was your trip to Denver Mrs. Colby?". Handing the maid her fur coat without looking at the maid nor missing a beat Sable responds "blissfully brief, thank you...".

by Anonymousreply 104October 7, 2020 12:24 AM

[quote] Who should have been the Fallon recast?

Janet Louise Johnson, if history were any indication.

by Anonymousreply 105October 7, 2020 12:48 AM

R105, haha! I had forgotten about her. I didn't like her and missed Pam.

by Anonymousreply 106October 7, 2020 12:59 AM

Kristen Vigard.

by Anonymousreply 107October 7, 2020 1:01 AM

R99, it was a different time, but I would argue that in the context of the show as well as real life she was a beautiful woman. She looked her class, which was ironic, as she was supposed to be new to Blake's level of social life.

by Anonymousreply 108October 7, 2020 3:01 AM

Krystal -- especially when spelled with a K -- is an incredibly white trash name.

by Anonymousreply 109October 7, 2020 10:25 AM

Damn you, Alexis!

by Anonymousreply 110October 7, 2020 10:28 AM

Oh, Blake

by Anonymousreply 111October 7, 2020 10:28 AM

What was with that 1980s blonde-but-actually-gray coloring, anyway?

My mom and I used to bitch about Judith Light’s hair on Who’s the Boss? every week. It was hard to focus on the show when the woman was playing a blonde but had gray hair with dark roots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112October 7, 2020 10:30 AM

Was it ‘80s TV cameras making blonde hair look gray?

by Anonymousreply 113October 7, 2020 10:34 AM

It was definitely an 80s thing. Julia Duffy from Newhart had it, too.

Wasn't it also called "champagne blonde?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114October 7, 2020 10:41 AM

R113 That may have contributed to it but I think it was more the trend of “frosting” hair that had been bleached and dyed ash blonde.

by Anonymousreply 115October 7, 2020 10:41 AM

R115 is correct. Frosted hair was huge back in the 80s, trend-wise and volume-wise. Couple that with the overtanning, and you have a quintessential 80s look.

Catherine Oxenberg's hair was also frosted when she was on 'Dynasty', but it had a bit of a more natural tint than Linda's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116October 7, 2020 10:54 AM

Different soap but same dated hair:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117October 7, 2020 11:07 AM

So why do people start sentences with "So?"

by Anonymousreply 118October 7, 2020 11:17 AM

R118 Do they?

Re the OP post I guess they do.

Me, I don’t mind it.

Fa r as I can see, it’s not a big deal.

So, I guess I’ll do it myself.

La la la lala la lala I’m a little bit Alexis.

Ti plants come from Hawaii

Do you get it yet?

by Anonymousreply 119October 7, 2020 11:21 AM

Somme of us did need big hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120October 7, 2020 11:59 AM

So why does some homosexual think he can get off telling Linda Evans how to wear her hair?

by Anonymousreply 121October 7, 2020 12:02 PM

Back in my day, this was trendy until the lezbos co-opted it for the eternal uniform. 30 years later, It's still in circulation. It's almost a requirement.

Your're welcome ladies and butch dykes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122October 7, 2020 12:05 PM

[quote]Krystal -- especially when spelled with a K -- is an incredibly white trash name.

Her name was actually spelled KRYSTLE, which is even trashier.

by Anonymousreply 123October 7, 2020 5:07 PM

She was ravishing and is incredibly sweet, but not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Catty and much less attractive Joan Collins must have had some choice things to say about Linda’s IQ in private.

by Anonymousreply 124October 7, 2020 5:25 PM

To a crazy degree, Bo Derek looked like a 20-years-younger version of Linda Evans (both married to John Derek). That must've been hard on Linda. However, live by the sword, die by the sword. Plus, she went on to live a happy life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125October 7, 2020 5:39 PM

Yeah, Derek def had a look. Time to discard one aging hottie for her younger clone. So tawdry, although they seem to have been completely hypnotized by him.

by Anonymousreply 126October 7, 2020 5:45 PM

One Life To Live was on Mama's daily soap rotation so know Judith Light from that show as well from 1970's television drama roles like on Kojak.

JL isn't a natural blonde which explains dark roots. The good lady was born in 1949 which by 1970's puts her in 30's, and 80's in her 40's; neither would have had resulted in full or much gray hair to be covered or whatever.

What some of you are complaining about "grey hair colored blonde" in most instances is result of how ash tones are picked up by lighting and cameras.

Dark roots are common to all blondes whose natural hair color requires double processing (hair is bleached then toned), this usually are those from levels 1 through much of 4 (black to dark/medium brown).

On scalp bleaching is hard on some people's scalp, this no matter what brand of product is used, and or various additives (many hairdressers swear by Sweet n Low". Alternative is to do off scalp bleaching which means even with the most careful application you're going to have one half to maybe an inch of natural dark hair untouched.

As people age and hair moves to white things actually become a bit easier. Since high levels of lift are no longer required (taking dark brown hair up several levels to blonde), a coloring product capable of one to three levels of lift usually will work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127October 7, 2020 11:57 PM

Another picture of younger Judith Light, and you can see clearly yes roots are dark, but hair hair is an ash blonde which under lights and in photograph looks "grey".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128October 7, 2020 11:59 PM

Judy actually looked good with short hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129October 8, 2020 12:05 AM

You can see from JL's Wiki page her hair is now quite golden blonde. That is the more common way grey hair is "colored blonde". Barbra Eden, Catherine Deneuve, Helen Mirren, Camillia, Duchess of Cornwall, Princess Michael of Kent, and scores of other older blondes (bottle or natural) rock the same look.

Blonde and lighter shades of brown camouflage white hair far better than darker shades. This is why after a certain age women of all ages and races often will move to various shades from that range as they age. Truthfully once past forty or definitely fifty it is time to kiss raven wing black through darker shades or brunette goodbye. It just doesn't work well and actually makes older persons look more aged...

by Anonymousreply 130October 8, 2020 12:07 AM

[Quote] it is time to kiss raven wing black through darker shades or brunette goodbye. It just doesn't work well and actually makes older persons look more aged...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131October 8, 2020 12:13 AM

R116

Frosting can be a more low maintenance way of being blonde than doing entire head. Sitting through all that foiling or having hair pulled through cap is time consuming; but since end result is more distributed there is less worry about roots.

Through her mother Princess Elizabeth of Yugoslavia , Catherine Oxenberg is related to many European royal houses and is 3936th in the line of succession to the throne of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth Realms.

Naturally light brown to darker blonde frosting worked to give Cahterine Oxenberg her various lighter shades of blonde on Dynasty and elsewhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132October 8, 2020 12:16 AM

I binge watched all of Dynasty a couple of years ago having never seen an episode prior (I was a kid in the 80s) and I was fully expecting to love Joan Collins as Alexis the most, but I actually came away liking Linda Evans even more. I think she was perfect as Krystle and she had sort of an ethereal elegance to her, but she was no shrinking violet and really held her own against Joan who was a true viper in the best sense. I watched a couple of interviews with her from the early 80s and she was just beautiful, charming and engaging.

by Anonymousreply 133October 8, 2020 12:29 AM

R131

If you look closely at the hair Ms. Rivera wore (and she had various styles of wigs) in day or bright light they were seldom strictly dark brown, and certainly not deep blue black. But tones of red and other shades were done to shades of brown to soften things up a bit.

For those attempting to cover white hair with darker shades of brunette coloring the hairline is a battle field. Because white hair is often resistant whatever product is applied often does not give complete coverage. Many of those that do lay down a heavy opaque coverage that leaves a hairline like Eddie Munster. Regardless depending upon how fast hair grows in little as two weeks those white roots start popping up.

Easiest way to handle the latter is by wearing hairstyles that push things forward so roots don't show (see pictures of Chita Rivera). but in her case am going with things being a wig due to the hairline.

To avoid obviously looking as if one is wearing a wig first best choice would be a lace front; but those are expensive. Next option is to place wig a bit further back on head so bit of hairline shows and or can even be woven in to conceal things. Finally you have the Raquel Welch and other option of wearing a wig with hairline that falls forward.

by Anonymousreply 134October 8, 2020 12:31 AM

Linda was great in the role. The problem with Krystle is they boxed her in as the series went along. I think after Moldavia, they just didn’t know what to do with the older characters. After Alexis got the mansion, which should’ve been a lot of fun, but it wasn’t, the writing was so lackluster. John and Linda never wanted the characters to cheat on one another, so it reduced the number of storylines they could do. Krystle just became a stepford wife after awhile, minus the fire and spirit with the outsider quality to this world of wealth and privilege she had in early seasons.

by Anonymousreply 135October 8, 2020 12:35 AM

John Derek traded in his wives for younger models. But they all seemed to have gotten along pretty well and would get together to celebrate his birthdays. Bo even tweeted last year, "Little did I know when I married my husband, that I would have these extraordinary women in my life."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136October 8, 2020 12:39 AM

Linda even showed up on Bo’s recent Reelz special about Bo’s life. I think it’s cool Linda, Bo and Ursula are friends.

by Anonymousreply 137October 8, 2020 12:53 AM

Always one to fall on her feet (or land on her back), Ursula Andress broke up John Derek's marriage to Pati Behrs (the couple had two children), when he walked out on his wife to shack up with Ms. Andress,

Derek and Andress wed in 1957, but separated in 1964 over Andress having an affair with actor Ron Ely, they were divorced in 1967.

While still separated but before final divorce decree was granted Andress never one to let grass grow between her feet was involved with John Richardson then Marcello Mastroianni.

Sort of a lumber camp toy for actors Ursula Andress lived with and or dated (in successive order) nabbed Jean-Paul Belmondo, Fabio Testi, Ryan O'Neal, John Delorean, Helmut Berger, Paolo Pazzaglia, Johnny Dorelli, and Franco Nero.

After a few off again and on again relationships with Ryan O'Neal (some claim there was violence), Andress was in a relationship with American actor Harry Hamlin after meeting on the set of Clash of the Titans in 1979. She gave birth to their son, Dimitri Hamlin, on 19 May 1980. Andress was 44 years old upon the birth of her only child. She moved into close friend Linda Evans' Coldwater Canyon home until hers was ready.

In keeping with propriety the young Harry Hamlin and middle aged Ms. Andress announced their engagement. Mr. Hamlin likely had second thoughts about tying himself to an older woman who had been rolled around much as Andress had in her day, and the marriage as announced did not take place.

Am surprised a mattress company hasn't signed Ms. Andress on as a sponsor or something...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138October 8, 2020 1:41 AM

R136, who is the woman standing between Ursula and Linda?

by Anonymousreply 139October 8, 2020 1:45 AM

Sean Catherine Derek, John's daughter from his first marriage.

by Anonymousreply 140October 8, 2020 1:47 AM

R138, She probably had just as many affairs as John Derek himself. Yet you insult her but Derek gets a pass?

by Anonymousreply 141October 8, 2020 1:49 AM

Thanks, R140. She's lovely. I take it the first wife was a looker too.

by Anonymousreply 142October 8, 2020 3:08 AM

Derek's first wife, Pati Behrs, was more of the girl next door type than the bombshell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143October 8, 2020 3:15 AM

Derek filed for his first divorce, citing cruelty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144October 8, 2020 3:16 AM

Who is wearing more makeup?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145October 8, 2020 3:17 AM

Everybody knows Katy Jurado.

by Anonymousreply 146October 8, 2020 3:22 AM

John Derek was nearly thirty years older than Bo when he met, courted, and bedded the then 17 year old. As it was the couple had to flee USA for safety of Greece lest otherwise John Derek could be charged with statutory rape.

JD's then wife Linda Evans was on the set in Greece when her husband was carrying on with his new young mistress (Bo), when she got back to California then still Mrs. Derek promptly filed for divorce.

John Derek basically resurrected or whatever you want to call what was left of his career (and life for that matter) exploiting his (by then) new young wife Bo. Film "Ten" of course was the peak of things, but there were Playboy spreads and much more.

It is interesting that Bo Derek was on cordial terms with her husband's many former wives, especially Linda Evans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147October 8, 2020 3:52 AM

The eyes have it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148October 8, 2020 4:09 AM

WHY? you ask. Because it made her rich and famous, THAT'S WHY.

by Anonymousreply 149October 8, 2020 4:24 AM

Wouldn't read too much into various grounds cited by John or Pati Derek for divorce. Until late 1960's reform laws (signed ironically by then governor Ronald Reagan) ushered in first no-fault divorce in USA, CA was like nearly everywhere else, you needed grounds to end a marriage, and law recognized divorce for impotence, adultery, extreme cruelty, desertion or neglect, habitual intemperance, fraud, and conviction for a felony. In practice CA judges often extended or looked outside that box in granting divorces.

When you consider John Derek was the one cheating on his wife with the Andress woman, it would seem adultery and or desertion might have been a slam dunk for Pati Derek. But instead judge granted Mrs. Derek a divorce on her cross grounds of mental cruelty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150October 8, 2020 4:33 AM

All his wives had matching nose jobs. He was obviously a benevolent Svengali. Burnt Sugar is that hair color - and I was born in 1983. My mom told me about it - because it made otherwise pretty women look so OLD. The more golden blonde hair tones would come and never leave, later.

Linda Evans was a healthy looking horse. I have a feeling that she's about as smart as one too. Back in my hometown we say about horses - 'they're way too dumb to be so big.'

Burnt Sugar IS a great name for a horse though.

by Anonymousreply 151October 8, 2020 5:55 AM

Wasn't Bo Derek a hardcore Repug? I know Bo now says she is an "indpendant" but I am not buying it. That's the cover a lot of people use when they want to be Republicans without the responsibility of the negative things they do to society.

by Anonymousreply 152October 8, 2020 6:03 AM

Talking about hair color makes all of you sound gay.

by Anonymousreply 153October 8, 2020 9:28 AM

Have to give credit where due; John Derek was one fine looking young man.

Those pretty big blue girly eyes, and that smile.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154October 8, 2020 9:32 AM

Linda Evans is remarkably close to her ex-husband's daughter Sean.

Suppose it's only natural; if step-mother and daughter got on before the divorce, no reason for that to change just because the father was a bastard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155October 8, 2020 9:38 AM

[quote]Everybody knows Katy Jurado.

The second-meanest Spic in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 156October 8, 2020 6:18 PM

[quote] Until late 1960's reform laws (signed ironically by then governor Ronald Reagan) ushered in first no-fault divorce in USA

"Ironically?" Reagan himself was divorced--remember? And he became the first divorced president.

by Anonymousreply 157October 8, 2020 6:19 PM

Linda talks about doing the pilot for "The Big Valley". And meeting John Derek after signing the contract but before she started to work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158October 9, 2020 1:18 AM

What was her relationship with Barbara Stanwyck like?

by Anonymousreply 159October 9, 2020 1:40 AM

Most importantly, she shares this hairstyle with JZ Knight and Ramtha.

by Anonymousreply 160October 9, 2020 1:49 AM

When I was in high school I wanted there to be a movie made about a love triangle starring Robert Redford, Stefanie Powers, and Linda Evans.

I was GAY.

by Anonymousreply 161October 9, 2020 1:51 AM

r161 If you'd been gay, the love triangle would've been Robert Redford, Rock Hudson, and James Garner.

by Anonymousreply 162October 9, 2020 1:53 AM

[Quote] When I was in high school I wanted there to be a movie made about a love triangle starring Robert Redford, Stefanie Powers, and Linda Evans.

[Quote] I was GAY.

If you were truly all caps GAY, you would have known to cast from the small screen OR the big screen, not mix both.

by Anonymousreply 163October 9, 2020 1:56 AM

R161, your movie will have Richard Chamberlain, AND YOU'LL LIKE IT!

by Anonymousreply 164October 9, 2020 2:04 AM

Because She Could.

by Anonymousreply 165October 9, 2020 2:07 AM

R163, Stefanie did feature films, thank you very much.

by Anonymousreply 166October 9, 2020 2:17 AM

The First Lady never ages!

by Anonymousreply 167October 9, 2020 2:20 AM

[Quote] Stefanie did feature films stars

Fixed.

by Anonymousreply 168October 9, 2020 2:20 AM

Krystle became pregnant which was quite disconcerting because she appeared to be 60.

by Anonymousreply 169October 9, 2020 2:25 AM

Adrian Leeds on a new episode right now, girls!

by Anonymousreply 170October 9, 2020 2:32 AM

Sorry, but Dominique Devereux/Diahann Carroll was awful. Dumb name, dumb character, boring storylines, boring actress. Why the HELL wasn't Dominique the mother of Kirby as originally planned??!

by Anonymousreply 171October 9, 2020 3:42 AM

She would have been far better as Cecil Colby’s long lost secret first wife. But, yes, the whole idea wad dumb and badly done.

by Anonymousreply 172October 9, 2020 3:54 AM

Linda Evans was gorgeous. Her hair always looked good and never looked dated even after the '80s.

by Anonymousreply 173October 9, 2020 5:19 AM

Ha. You're on the good '80s crack R173.

by Anonymousreply 174October 9, 2020 5:23 AM

How was Amanda #2 written off the show? No one talked about her again, she wasn't in the mini-series/finale, etc. So lame.

by Anonymousreply 175October 9, 2020 5:28 AM

R175 she left town. Cellini made Emma Samms look like Meryl Streep. I think she was working at a Hard Rock Cafe when cast. Along with Samms, probably the two worst recasts ever on prime time. None of Oxenbergs beauty and regal quality. Catherine only wanted a modest raise and Spelling let her go. The show try to foist some of the blame on Cellini for the shows low ratings. Cellini came out and spoke against the producers and writers basically saying they don’t know what the hell they want.

by Anonymousreply 176October 9, 2020 2:25 PM

R171 agreed about Diahann. Beautiful woman and good actress, but making her a Carrington relative probably wasn’t the best idea. She wanted to be the first black bitch on tv, but Collins had sewn that up as far as the bitch on the show. I think with Kirby leaving the show, they just thought hey let’s make her Blake’s sister. It was really a wasted opportunity for Carroll.

by Anonymousreply 177October 9, 2020 2:29 PM

Once you have found your best hair style you stick with it.

by Anonymousreply 178October 9, 2020 2:50 PM

Once you have found your best hair style you stick with it.

by Anonymousreply 179October 9, 2020 2:50 PM

[quote] This elegant, classy and glamorous woman of color entered La Mirage like she was fucking Queen Mary!

Well, but of course. Remember, it WAS the most glamorous resort in the entire Denver, Colorado metro area.

by Anonymousreply 180October 9, 2020 3:27 PM

I find it fascinating so many Dataloungers were talking to their moms about hair dye in the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 181October 9, 2020 3:30 PM

I find it fascinating that Denver was portrayed as such a glamorous, cosmopolitan city.

Because it's NOT.

by Anonymousreply 182October 9, 2020 4:07 PM

Isn’t this Camilla Parker Bowles’ haircut?

by Anonymousreply 183October 9, 2020 4:27 PM

Krystle always looked so horribly anguished by goodness

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184October 9, 2020 4:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!