Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Misogyny is rooted in homophobia

Or an offshoot of homophobia. Secondary anyway.

Discuss.

by Anonymousreply 55February 18, 2021 1:30 PM

My theory is that men evolved to emotionally distance themselves from women so they wouldn't become too attached to them in case they died in childbirth.

by Anonymousreply 1October 4, 2020 12:29 PM

Most Indian women are misogynist homophobes. They hate other women and they hate LGBTQs. In their lives, only the husbands and straight sons are to be worshipped.

by Anonymousreply 2October 4, 2020 12:32 PM

Wouldn't it make more sense if misogyny was rooted in homophilia?

by Anonymousreply 3October 4, 2020 12:34 PM

You have it backwards, OP, but whatever...close enough...

by Anonymousreply 4October 4, 2020 12:35 PM

Misogyny is the mother's milk of homophobia. Thinking the causation goes the other way is, comically, misogynistic in the sense that it assumes male preeminence. (Because we all know you weren't thinking of lesbians when you wrote that, OP.)

by Anonymousreply 5October 4, 2020 12:36 PM

Most of the most anti-gay and homophobic people I have ever encountered were female.

by Anonymousreply 6October 4, 2020 12:44 PM

Nope.

Misogyny is rooted in homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 7October 4, 2020 12:44 PM

R5, you are so comically homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 8October 4, 2020 12:46 PM

That SNOTTY , JUDGEMENTAL QUEEN- Dan Savage said once that any gay male who is NOT attracted to effeminate males is MISOGYNIST.

by Anonymousreply 9October 4, 2020 12:46 PM

You're trolling, right? Surely you know that misogyny is the nexus of homophobia. It is the supremacy of masculinity and the subjugation of all things effeminate (whether real or perceived) that oppresses both gay men and women.

by Anonymousreply 10October 4, 2020 12:58 PM

You're trolling, right? Surely you know that homophobia is the nexus of misogyny. It is the supremacy of masculinity and the subjugation of all things effeminate (whether real or perceived) that oppresses both gay men and women.

by Anonymousreply 11October 4, 2020 1:10 PM

I think it's the other way around, with an unhealthy dose of tribalism thrown in.

by Anonymousreply 12October 4, 2020 1:24 PM

No, it’s this way around.

by Anonymousreply 13October 4, 2020 1:33 PM

by Anonymousreply 14October 4, 2020 4:00 PM

R1 curious idea, and one that makes sense. How did you come up with that?

by Anonymousreply 15November 5, 2020 9:51 PM

That isn't how evolution works, R1. Men who didn't have issues with women would have to have died while those with issues with women would had to have survived so that it became an inborn trait.

Typically men tend to confide in women rather than men.

by Anonymousreply 16November 5, 2020 9:56 PM

R10, R11 You're trolling, right? Surely you know that a mild misogyny might be a corollary of homophilia.

It is the supremacy of masculinity and the subjugation of all things effeminate (whether real or perceived) that liberates gay men.

by Anonymousreply 17November 5, 2020 10:06 PM

Mine is rooted in vaginaphobia.

by Anonymousreply 18November 5, 2020 10:07 PM

Mine is rooted in gushy vacuousness.

by Anonymousreply 19November 5, 2020 10:11 PM

How do you account for the (relative) acceptance of gay sex in Greece but lack of womens rights?

by Anonymousreply 20November 5, 2020 10:14 PM

[quote]How do you account for the (relative) acceptance of gay sex in Greece but lack of womens rights?

Trans Greek women of color.

by Anonymousreply 21November 6, 2020 2:07 AM

[quote] How do you account for the (relative) acceptance of gay sex in Greece but lack of womens rights

There’s no marriage equality there. What rights do women lack there?

by Anonymousreply 22November 6, 2020 8:53 AM

It’s the opposite, OP. And you’re a moron.

by Anonymousreply 23November 6, 2020 8:54 AM

Nope. It’s this way.

by Anonymousreply 24November 6, 2020 9:00 AM

Misandry is routed in Lesbianism. So there's that.

Have you ever notice how men straight OR GAY are not welcome in lesbian bars? Prove me wrong. And before you respond with excuses, please do so without blaming the men as your reasoning as it just proves my point about man hating Lesbian behavior.

by Anonymousreply 25November 6, 2020 9:06 AM

Lesbians don’t have penises.

by Anonymousreply 26November 6, 2020 9:11 AM

I think it's the other way around. Men who treat women badly are afraid that a gay man might treat them the same way, subjugate them, overpower them and rape them, hence they are afraid. They also rate women in 3 categories: fuck, mother or sister - their brains don't know where to slot us.

by Anonymousreply 27November 6, 2020 9:12 AM

Gay men are usually murdered by straight men. The homophobia is rooted first in misogyny. They look down upon woman, and even worse at gay men since they have nothing to gain from them.

by Anonymousreply 28November 6, 2020 9:36 AM

Put all straight men (and the few whiny gay misogynists such as R25) in labour camps, and don’t let them out until they’re 40. Gay men living in a peaceful society harmoniously with women on the outside can venture in to make use of them as needs be.

It’s the only safe and fair solution to protect us from hetero male violence and abuse, after over a Millennia of oppression.

by Anonymousreply 29November 6, 2020 10:20 AM

These discussions get me exactly nowhere. And they give me a headache.

by Anonymousreply 30November 6, 2020 10:25 AM

So much mental masturbation. Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 31November 6, 2020 11:45 AM

The hatred is directed at gender-non-conformity. Calling a woman "mannish" is just as insulting as calling a man "effeminate."

by Anonymousreply 32November 6, 2020 2:10 PM
by Anonymousreply 33February 18, 2021 7:38 AM

Asking Datalounge to discuss the connections between systems of social inequality is like throwing a bag of Legos on the floor in front of a pack of rabid dogs and saying, "Here, build a castle."

They're not equipped for that level of activity and everything just ends up covered in drool and shit.

This is a online space in which bisexuals are still villainized and conspiracies about transgender people being sexual predators by nature who want to systematically sex reassign all gay children are taken seriously. Most posters here don't even like social scientific terminology; I mean, they actually consider it personally offensive.

You may as well ask a toddler about quantum physics.

by Anonymousreply 34February 18, 2021 8:02 AM

Literally the next thread I opened after posting R34 was titled "Lesbians and their contribution to art and culture" and the text of the OP was "It's practically non-existent"...

So. Yeah. Maybe try something less challenging like teaching swine how to ride unicycles...

by Anonymousreply 35February 18, 2021 8:12 AM

Can we get back to Whitney Houston singing like a cat in heat?

by Anonymousreply 36February 18, 2021 8:15 AM

R34 is 100% correct.

by Anonymousreply 37February 18, 2021 8:20 AM

It's the other way around. Homophobia is rooted in misogyny.

by Anonymousreply 38February 18, 2021 8:21 AM

Nonsense. It’s the other way around.

by Anonymousreply 39February 18, 2021 8:23 AM

It's this way!

No it's this way!

No it's this way!

No it's that way!

But it's this way!

No it's that way...

*eyeroll*

by Anonymousreply 40February 18, 2021 8:27 AM

Racism is rooted in misogyny.

by Anonymousreply 41February 18, 2021 8:43 AM

What are you guys drinking? Intolerant men hate women completely independently of their hating gays.

I assume they hate both because the only legitimate type of person to hold a place in the world is a straight male.

(Even white is optional by comparison - who didn't know they were going to pick Obama over Hillary that time, and who doesn't think the election proved them right?)

On the other hand, lots of women hate other women and love gay men, so if the two things are connected explain that.

by Anonymousreply 42February 18, 2021 8:50 AM

[quote]The hatred is directed at gender-non-conformity. Calling a woman "mannish" is just as insulting as calling a man "effeminate."

Is it though? Most men dont like to be call fem, straight or gay. Lesbians have a whole subset of Butch culture they actually elevate in status. Butch is by definition manish qualities.

by Anonymousreply 43February 18, 2021 9:09 AM

[quote] Lesbians have a whole subset of Butch culture they actually elevate in status. Butch is by definition manish qualities.

This is called ‘splitting’, and it’s a psychological way to taste the gayekeot masculine hegemony automatically assigned to heterosexual men. Lesbians do not actually extol and worship straight men and their butchness; it’s about envying the power they are assigned, and wanting to enjoy even a facsimile of it.

If women gay or straight actually assume the power positions of straight men, then straight men see to it that this transgression has very ugly (sometimes, even fatal) consequences. Females can and do hold leadership roles, but you’ll notice few feel free to swing their weight around and exert full strength like straight men do—Maggie Thatcher is the only famous Western example to the contrary I can think of off the bat.

Closet-cases and butch gay men perform masculinity because they are attracted to the same entitled power, but they feel more able to enjoy the power vicariously or from a second-hand position, because their own root masculinity is secure and assured (yes, even for the femme gay men). This is why many gay men do not understand where women are coming from in regards to their ambivalence about male power.

by Anonymousreply 44February 18, 2021 10:35 AM

I don't think there are any misogyny these days. The so-called misogyny is just what women said when she is being called a cunt for her cunt behavior. When I see an apple, I call it an apple.

Women love that shit. Being a cunt to people, when it backfires then she plays the victim. That's also the basic quality of today feminist.

by Anonymousreply 45February 18, 2021 10:47 AM

I will further give an example. Amy Schumer once made a distasteful joke to Steve-O about the death of his friend. The joke is as follows: "I truly am — no joke — sorry for the loss of your friend Ryan Dunn. I know you must have been thinking, 'It could've been me.' And I know we were all thinking, 'Why wasn't it?'"

That joke is distasteful and Steve-O called her a cunt on radio and she went full "how could you say that to a woman? You are behind disrespectful and insulting to a woman. MISOGYNY!" That's what the misogyny is today - a cunt refused to be called what she is.

by Anonymousreply 46February 18, 2021 11:00 AM

Dont you mean homophobia is rooted in misogony? Most people throughout the human history weren't even aware of homosexuality. Also, gay people make a tiny percentage of the population, unlike women.

by Anonymousreply 47February 18, 2021 11:00 AM

R46 let me get this straight—you are poisoned against all women and waging a j!h@d against them, because joke-stealing Big Amy (see, women can make critical jokes at the expense of other women without exploding into outrage, *gasp*) once said something insensitive?

Howard Stern has spent years and made billions saying the most vile offensive things about hundreds of women, and his female listeners and guests just roll with the punches, because that ugly creepy dullard clearly has no room to talk and is easy enough to disregard. Surely if every woman on Earth really were a stupid nasty entitled cunt talking shit, you’d just ignore whatever they said and not take it so personally, right?

Conclusion: you really need to leave the basement and grow a thicker skin, baby, otherwise life is going to chew you up and spit you out.

by Anonymousreply 48February 18, 2021 11:14 AM

If you believe the treatment of 50% of the human population is rooted in the treatment of 2% (or even 5%) of the population you are delusional. It's the other way around.

by Anonymousreply 49February 18, 2021 11:22 AM

R48 let me get this straight - you are poisoned against the entire social system and culture and waging a j!h@d against them, because womanizing Howard Stern had a radio show filled with adult jokes!

See, I can also use strawman too!

by Anonymousreply 50February 18, 2021 11:40 AM

Muriel, can you take please out the trash at R50? Bitch is a greasefire-hazard, and stinking up the place.

by Anonymousreply 51February 18, 2021 11:46 AM

If you want misogyny, please take a look at middle east, where women are forced to live under the full instruction of her father, husband and son. Women also need to cover her face in public. This is a real misogyny. Yet, do any of the proud feminists speak out against it. Nah, they are too busy with "How dare you told me to cover up my nipples because you have a 7 year old children next to you?" or " How dare you called me a cunt when I made a exaggerated sexual assault story with fake details that caused a man his job?"

My point is, you get what you put out with. Don't deflect on misogyny or something-phobia when you are called out. Do Audrey Hepburn or Kathy Bates being called a cunt very often? Not that I know of. Do you know why? Because they are decent person.

by Anonymousreply 52February 18, 2021 11:48 AM

Muriel, I am gay and also Asian. R51 is being completely homophobic and anti-chinese here. Please stop him from spreading hate here.

by Anonymousreply 53February 18, 2021 11:51 AM

Other way around, moron.

by Anonymousreply 54February 18, 2021 12:27 PM

Homophobia exists because men are supposed to be self-sacrificing and are supposed to be servants of women (aka being a sperm bank or a walking ATM). Homosexuals are free and aren't bound to societal norms(Depends on the country). R32 made a good point, because sometimes homosexual men are a little more respected if they are the masculine part of a relationship or a top. Women or lesbians who behave rather masculine or are in leading positions are hated on or made fun of too because they defy gender norms. But no one ever said that homophobia against lesbians is now rooted in misandry or something. I do agree though that female heroes in the media and tough women are more accepted than feminine men(regardless of being gay or straight) and this is mostly because of feminists who were responsible with women's liberation and it is also because actions that are deemed masculine are seen as useful. For instance a female firefighter would be more respected than a male "housewife". While female firefighters are also criticised because instinctively "women are supposed to be protected" and are not supposed to be protectors, they will have way more mainstream approval than a man who wants to stay at home, with a husband but no children. His existence is not seen as useful to society. A stay at home woman is accepted because she has the ability to birth children. See the youtube video "Women are false gods" by Diana D.. Straight men who just want to stay single and want to avoid women/relationships are also frowned upon. The United States and some other countries used to have a bachelor tax. Unshackled men are not approved of by society. A gay man is basically an unshackled man unless he is in the closet and bearding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 18, 2021 1:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!