Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

sparkling water is nasty

I had it at a restaurant and had to spit it out as soon as it entered my mouth. I was so traumatized

by Anonymousreply 76October 4, 2020 1:03 AM

Did you order a Mountain Dew afterwards?

by Anonymousreply 1September 30, 2020 3:58 PM

As a German I once wanted to make a thread on the opinion of Americans on sparkling water, which is ubiquitious here. If you order water in a restaurant, they will automatically give you sparkling water.

Do you think there are Americans out there who never had sparkling water? How is the sparkling/ non-sparkling water ration in grocery stores?What do Americans think about sparkling water? Is it something Americans drink to feel fancy and posh?

by Anonymousreply 2September 30, 2020 4:00 PM

I used to hate it, but after living in Germany for several years I got accustomed to it. Now that I stopped drinking sparkling water has been helpful in curbing my beer cravings.

by Anonymousreply 3September 30, 2020 4:01 PM

By the way, I’ve been staying with my parents during the pandemic and they make sure to keep a stock of Perrier or Pellegrino in the house since they know how much I enjoy sparkling water. My mom opened a bottle to try it, and she only drank half over the course of a week before pouring it down the drain. My dad won’t even touch it.

by Anonymousreply 4September 30, 2020 4:04 PM

I really don't approve of seven year old children being allowed to post on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 5September 30, 2020 4:07 PM

R4 Lol, you're parents are cute! Why didn't they like it. If you open a bottle of sparkling water, you have to finish it within two days, because otherwise it tastes stale.

by Anonymousreply 6September 30, 2020 4:08 PM

I love it and the flavored sparkling waters like La Croix and Bubly.

by Anonymousreply 7September 30, 2020 4:10 PM

I love sparkling water, but here in the USA I just buy the 2 liter of seltzer water, same thing but less fancy label.

by Anonymousreply 8September 30, 2020 4:11 PM

To me mineral water tastes "dead" and stale. I want a party in my mouth! Pellegrino and Perrier provide that.

by Anonymousreply 9September 30, 2020 4:16 PM

I had it in Germany as a teenager and hated it. Now I love it, although my favorite (Gerolsteiner) is hard to find around here. Generally, I don't think Americans are that into it.

by Anonymousreply 10September 30, 2020 4:36 PM

I stocked up on sparkling water in March, flavoured and regular.

by Anonymousreply 11September 30, 2020 4:38 PM

When Americans drink still water or non-carbonated water, do they mostly drink it already bottled or do they also drink it from the tap? Because I and many Germans just drink tap water.

by Anonymousreply 12September 30, 2020 4:54 PM

r12.

Tap water in the US is kind of dicey since Flint.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 30, 2020 4:58 PM

Also brain eating amoebas. Tap water doesn't look so great these days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 30, 2020 5:00 PM

I love it. But then, I’m a recovering alchy. I compulsively need to drink something bubbly and I don’t care for more than the occasional soda.

by Anonymousreply 15September 30, 2020 5:01 PM

There is tons of sparkling water available in the US and always has been under the names "club soda" or "seltzer." It was never popular because of the ubiquity of sweetened flavored soda. It is not generally served in US restaurants.

It's difficult to generalize, R12, about a country that is 26 times the size of Germany and has over 4 times the population.

by Anonymousreply 16September 30, 2020 5:04 PM

I'm with OP. Sparkling water is gross and disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 17September 30, 2020 5:07 PM

I fucking love San Pellegrino mineral water over ice. It makes me feel so physically healthy after I drink that, or Perrier sparkling mineral water.

I know it isn't most people's bag, but my body demands it every so often and I have to give in.

It is not a beverage made for plebes.

by Anonymousreply 18September 30, 2020 5:08 PM

[quote] had to spit it out as soon as it entered my mouth

I noticed.

by Anonymousreply 19September 30, 2020 5:10 PM

[quote]I want a party in my mouth!

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 20September 30, 2020 5:11 PM

Why does it taste so much different that still water?

by Anonymousreply 21September 30, 2020 5:12 PM

Did you manage to get a free meal out of it OP?

Watch and learn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 30, 2020 5:18 PM

OP drinks Mountain Dew instead of coffee.

by Anonymousreply 23September 30, 2020 5:22 PM

Gerolsteiner has electrolytes and can be used as a substitute for Gatorade (even better because it doesn't have sugar). But drinking too much bubbly can ruin the lining of your stomach. I knew someone who was constantly chugging seltzer and ended up in the ER with severe gastritis.

by Anonymousreply 24September 30, 2020 5:36 PM

I never much fancied it until I gave up smoking and then I became almost addicted. I don't why but sparkling water is the closest sensation I can find to that party in my mouth feeling (apart from the obvious) that smoking once gave me.

by Anonymousreply 25September 30, 2020 5:39 PM

OP and R17 are limited.

by Anonymousreply 26September 30, 2020 5:39 PM

OP is the smartest poster on here!

by Anonymousreply 27September 30, 2020 5:42 PM

San Pellegrino has some fantastic new still and sparkling flavors like cherry/pom, peach etc and organic ginger beer and lemon in bottles. They mix up well with booze, but also refreshing alone.

by Anonymousreply 28September 30, 2020 5:44 PM

Developed a taste for it when living overseas. Now I am addicted. --Team Sodastream

by Anonymousreply 29September 30, 2020 5:53 PM

My favorites are Gerolsteiner and Topo Chico.

(I’m an American)

by Anonymousreply 30September 30, 2020 5:57 PM

So many geriatric cunts in this threads. Buh....byeeeee!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 31September 30, 2020 6:08 PM

Target Good & Gather flavored seltzers are cheap, tasty zero-cal alternatives to sugared soda. They are less carbonated than La Croix, so I like them better. In general sparking water is more of an “adult” squired taste in the US because of all the sugary crap that kids have normally eaten here since the 50s.

by Anonymousreply 32September 30, 2020 6:10 PM

It’s so funny that everyone’s talking about Germany. That’s where I first had it when I was four years old. My relatives thought my reaction was hilarious. It wasn’t. That shit hurts a child’s tender tongue, especially when they’re not expecting it.

I love it now, though.

by Anonymousreply 33September 30, 2020 6:37 PM

R33 As a child you were a MARY !!

by Anonymousreply 34September 30, 2020 8:21 PM

You are an uncultured nothing OP.

by Anonymousreply 35September 30, 2020 8:28 PM

I love sparkling water. It has helped me give up sugary sodas.

by Anonymousreply 36September 30, 2020 8:29 PM

It's considered Jewish in NYC. Seltzer, that is.

by Anonymousreply 37September 30, 2020 8:33 PM

A healthier alternative to sugary and HFCS-laden sodas is some sparkling water with fruit juice. You can control the sweetness plus the added vitamin C.

by Anonymousreply 38September 30, 2020 8:57 PM

I love sparkling water. I filter water with my Berkey, carbonate it with my Soda Stream, add a packet of True Orange, or True Lime, and savor the refreshing bubbles.

by Anonymousreply 39September 30, 2020 10:49 PM

El Topo Chico sparkling water is actually great for removing stubborn stains and for cleaning in general.

by Anonymousreply 40October 1, 2020 12:28 AM

[quote]San Pellegrino has some fantastic new still and sparkling flavors like cherry/pom, peach etc and organic ginger beer and lemon in bottles. They mix up well with booze, but also refreshing alone.

Aren't the flavored ones also sweetened?

by Anonymousreply 41October 1, 2020 4:57 AM

R41, some of the new varieties are sweetened and some aren't.

Even the newer canned, sugared Pellegrino I've tried, is nowhere near as sweet as soda or fruit juice.

San Pellegrino Essenza do not contain any kind of sugar or carbohydrates, they're basically just fruit-infused carbonated water. Their Sparkling Fruit Beverage does contain juice pulp, cane sugar and natural color.

I still drink the original version. I've had it straight out of the stream in Italy and it was unbelievably superior to the bottled, carbonated version. I can't help but wonder if they have some sort of fence or security system up now just on account of my water-pilfering on their turf, back in 2013 when I spent a lot more time over in Italy. They told me to stop a couple of times until I paid them, then they let me take from their reserve.

(Then, I found an even better natural spring nearby.)

by Anonymousreply 42October 1, 2020 1:48 PM

^^What he said. The original sparkling waters are in a coke-like can 130 cal, the new little bottles of ginger beer 70 cal, and the Essenza line in tall skinny can is zero cal (the cherry is really refreshing).

The new flavors were a bright spot this summer

by Anonymousreply 43October 1, 2020 1:53 PM

[quote] Now I am addicted. --Team Sodastream

Me too. My partner and I drink 2-3 liters a day. I don't know if it's cheaper than buying it pre-fizzed, but it's great not to run out. And it's nice not to waste all those plastic bottles. A squeeze of lime and we're good.

EXCEPT...

There seems to be a shortage of the CO2 canisters. My local housewares store is out, even Bed Bath and Beyond is out. I've signed up for SodaSense but I'm not thrilled with having to send and receive the canisters by mail, which would seem to be worse for the planet than buying seltzer at the grocery store.

Anybody else having problems?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 1, 2020 2:28 PM

Miss OP: You've had worse things in your mouth.

by Anonymousreply 45October 1, 2020 3:10 PM

I mostly drink the cheap stuff, but Voss is my favorite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 1, 2020 3:25 PM

I didn't know Voss water was sparkling. I've never tried it, but now I'm curious.

by Anonymousreply 47October 1, 2020 3:30 PM

[quote] I want a party in my mouth!

That's my motto!

by Anonymousreply 48October 1, 2020 3:30 PM

La mia acqua preferita, frizzante o altra, e San Pellegrino semplice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 1, 2020 3:32 PM

Last night at the grocery I purchased a 12-can-pack of Shasta Club soda, in tribute to this thread.

by Anonymousreply 50October 1, 2020 6:31 PM

I just learned that nestle is the U.S. distributor for Pellegrino and Perrier.

Fuck.

Now I can't buy it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 51October 1, 2020 6:55 PM

If you ever want to drink some cult German beverages then mix sparkling water with some apple juice to get Apfelschorle or Coke and Fanta to get Spezi! Very popular in Bavaria.

by Anonymousreply 52October 1, 2020 7:01 PM

DopeFly, do you have a Whole Foods nearby? They sell six-packs of 33-oz. Italian Sparkling Water for $5.94. Same as San Pellegrino, to my taste buds, only cheaper. And easier to open.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 1, 2020 7:02 PM

I've been a huge fan for decades. Plain seltzer with a slice of lime is my favorite. I don't typically purchase the flavored versions.

My sister has always balked at this, because she says it "tastes like Alka-Seltzer".

by Anonymousreply 54October 1, 2020 7:19 PM

Seltzer.

by Anonymousreply 55October 1, 2020 7:24 PM

R53, not nearby enough. I'm staying away from home right now, in a hotel and the closest Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are a whopping hour and a half away! But thanks for the recommendation. I will have to look into buying generic if I still want my mineral water fix.

There's an Aldi nearby; maybe they'll shave something comparable in off-brand form.

by Anonymousreply 56October 1, 2020 8:02 PM

I drink two litres everyday still water doesn’t do it for me

by Anonymousreply 57October 1, 2020 8:04 PM

I'm addicted to it. I've got to have it several times a day, every day. I'm drinking it right now, actually (with a glass straw).

by Anonymousreply 58October 1, 2020 8:09 PM

R51 beat me to it! Love Pellegrino and Perrier but hate the idea of supporting evil conglomerate Nestle. I go through a 24 pack of Pellegrino like it's cocaine but have had to cut myself off. I don't like flavored soft drinks, except for Coca Cola and Diet Coke, and I am trying to avoid those as much as possible.

SodaStream was an option but the reviews are not great, especially around the carbonation tank.

Next up is Pure La Croix and Poland Spring sparkling. Oh wait, Nestle owns Poland Spring too. Those fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 59October 1, 2020 8:17 PM

you're an idiot, OP

by Anonymousreply 60October 1, 2020 8:27 PM

Miss r59 is going to break Nestle by withholding her $6 a week for San Pellegrino. Nestle you in danger gurl.

by Anonymousreply 61October 1, 2020 8:33 PM

OP I'll bet you were the nitwit who once sat at the table next to mine in a rather up market eatery years ago who, when asked for his drink order by the waiter, said "I'll have a Perrier & water".

Toots your just wrong hon, wrong. You've got no class. You bottled water drinking heathen!

by Anonymousreply 62October 1, 2020 8:36 PM

It's not about bankrupting a billion dollar company you halfwit, it's about aligning your money with your morals.

by Anonymousreply 63October 1, 2020 8:38 PM

[quote]It is not a beverage made for plebes.

Well smell milady at R18. Do you use it to wash down the beluga caviar or the white truffles?

by Anonymousreply 64October 1, 2020 8:40 PM

Check out Rosa Parks reincarnated in our midst at r63. Making the world a better place with every San Pellegrino not imbibed, and at such painful personal sacrifice.

by Anonymousreply 65October 1, 2020 9:19 PM

What a shitty, defeatist cuntrarian attitude @defacto

Fuck you and your smarmy anti-activism

by Anonymousreply 66October 1, 2020 10:21 PM

R65 only drinks piss from the tap, especially if they haven't bathed in a few days.

by Anonymousreply 67October 1, 2020 10:28 PM

I "discovered" sparkling water three years ago - Ozarka Simply Bubbles. I had been buying the local Walmart out of its supply, but it seemed to be seasonal - in the fall, they stopped carrying it. During the pandemic I started ordering it delivered - and found a less expensive analogue - cases of Ice Mountain Sparkling Lime Water, 34 oz. Its carbonation is slightly stronger than Ozarka, and I like it better. Drinking sparkling water makes it a lot easier for me to meet my daily water intake quota.

by Anonymousreply 68October 2, 2020 2:34 AM

Does it help you meet your daily belch quota too, R68?

by Anonymousreply 69October 2, 2020 9:09 PM

Has anybody noticed that many brands of tonic water don't taste the same as they used to? I got some Schweppes (US), and it is too sweet and more citrus than quinine. I want it dry and bitter. The grocery store brand tasted better. The twee brands like Fever Tree are too precious and expensive to exist.

by Anonymousreply 70October 2, 2020 9:12 PM

Drinking sparkling mineral water helps keep skin in top form. My skin is velvety soft, wrinkle-free and I do not have a skincare regimen other than cleansing my face and body with soap and water. It's definitely the Pellegrino and Perrier.

by Anonymousreply 71October 3, 2020 11:38 PM

My sister and I were talking about our teeth and how we both need work. She mentioned that she is going through some special treatments because she drinks a lot of seltzer and, per the dentist, the carbonation has eaten holes in her teeth. She was told is a common thing for seltzer drinkers. She also has to use a special toothpaste to try to build up the surface of the teeth. I have never heard of such a thing; you'd think that this would be pointed out to consumers, like the cigarette companies warnings. Anyone every heard of this phenomenon?

by Anonymousreply 72October 3, 2020 11:53 PM

Yes, the carbonation leaches calcium out of the teeth.

by Anonymousreply 73October 4, 2020 12:22 AM

I doubt it's the carbonation of sparkling water that's reigning your teeth. If anything, drinking alcohol dries up your mouth, wears down the enamel on teeth and stains them.

Sugarless, plain carbonated water beverages actually help kill harmful bacteria in your mouth.

by Anonymousreply 74October 4, 2020 12:45 AM

*ruining your teeth, not reigning

by Anonymousreply 75October 4, 2020 12:46 AM

San Pell. and Gerolsteiner are my guilty pleasures. They are not very expensive here (about $2.60/bottle). However, it is not very environmentally friendly drinking them, especially since cold New York city water filtered with a Brita to remove the chlorine taste is quite good & refreshing.

I especially enjoy drinking a large, cold glass of either one with some cheese and a chilled Anjou pear. Just drinking them on a hot summer day is heaven.

by Anonymousreply 76October 4, 2020 1:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!