Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

America - Expanding Territorially

Are there any geopolitical scholars around here? I have a question:

Why can't America expand territorially anymore? If America invaded, say, Cuba, couldn't it keep it? Could America buy the rest of California (Baja California) from Mexico?

I find it somewhat boring that our borders seem never to change. Why can't America expand again?

TIA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 1, 2020 2:13 AM

We have 800 military bases abroad. We expanded through alliances. I don't think we can expand territorially anymore: no other country is doing that really.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 30, 2020 1:50 PM

[quote]Ahem...

by Anonymousreply 2September 30, 2020 1:53 PM

Can't we give Texas back to Mexico and Florida back to Span?

by Anonymousreply 3September 30, 2020 1:56 PM

Yeah, Putin acquired Crimea. Maybe a second Trump term, particularly dictatorial, could acquire ... I'm not sure what. Cuba ... ? I can't imagine what someone like him would want, given we can't remove the people who are already there should we annex it (because of modern racial sensibilities and justice).

Cuba was the last territory would could have held onto long-term (cf. the Philippines).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 30, 2020 1:57 PM

Yes, because colonialism is SO popular these days.

by Anonymousreply 5September 30, 2020 1:58 PM

Oh, hi Teddy Roosevelt at OP!

Cuba libre, and all that!

by Anonymousreply 6September 30, 2020 2:00 PM

Well, OP, if the second American Civil War happens soon, your boredom will be gone, as one assumes our borders will change when the country breaks apart.

by Anonymousreply 7September 30, 2020 2:01 PM

Trump had his chance in the first half of his first term (I don't think there'll be a second, but I'm just being very specific). The House and Senate were there under his party to approve an acquisition. The problem is the millions of people any new territory would probably contain: what are you going to do with them?

by Anonymousreply 8September 30, 2020 2:02 PM

Greenland!

by Anonymousreply 9September 30, 2020 2:04 PM

Doesn't he want to unload the unprofitable Puerto Rico?

by Anonymousreply 10September 30, 2020 2:31 PM

A President Tom Cotton might return to the idea of buying Greenland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 30, 2020 2:36 PM

I hate maps that exclude Alaska and Hawaii. One of my pet peeves.

by Anonymousreply 12September 30, 2020 2:40 PM

We don't want those shit hole countries to be part of the US.

by Anonymousreply 13September 30, 2020 2:43 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if a Tom Cotton or Josh Hawley proposed acquiring something. Real estate and extraction potential, some kind of weird evangelical interest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 30, 2020 2:47 PM

I doubt Denmark or the people of Greenland want to sell it. Are we going to invade?

by Anonymousreply 15September 30, 2020 2:49 PM

We're available!

by Anonymousreply 16September 30, 2020 5:00 PM

The answer, OP, is that since 1945, international law has operated according to the principle of self-determination, rather than territorial right through conquest or purchase.

There are strict rules on what a country is allowed to do when occupying another: the United States could not simply have annexed Iraq after 2003 for example.

This does not necessarily preclude another country or territory voting to join the United States, in principle, but probably only somewhere like Puerto Rico is likely to do so (ie to become a full state).,

by Anonymousreply 17September 30, 2020 5:05 PM

Putin's justification, for Crimea, is that the Russian-speaking people there never agreed to be given to the Ukraine after the breakup of the USSR. He's not absolutely wrong there as it happens.

by Anonymousreply 18September 30, 2020 5:06 PM

R17 except if done gradually, like the UN/EU plan to invade Europe through “refugee resettlement.”

by Anonymousreply 19September 30, 2020 5:09 PM

The EU plan to invade Europe, do they?

Thanks for the warning. You sound like you have your finger on the pulse.

by Anonymousreply 20September 30, 2020 5:24 PM

Civilized countries don't do that anymore.

But then of course, there's Israel.

by Anonymousreply 21September 30, 2020 5:55 PM

It’s not done anymore, but things can change. No end of history anymore.

by Anonymousreply 22October 1, 2020 2:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!