Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"We Need to Talk About Kevin" on TCM now.

She should've drowned the fucking psycho when she had the chance. That is all.

by Anonymousreply 24October 1, 2020 8:56 AM

I'm just catching the end. What a disturbing movie to play in the middle of the night. Are they playing it because it's Ezra Miller's birthday? I had no idea he was 28 until I looked him up.

by Anonymousreply 1September 30, 2020 9:43 AM

Wait, what? They're playing recent films on TCM now? I cut the cord in '06.

by Anonymousreply 2September 30, 2020 9:48 AM

I could only watch that movie once it disturbed me so much.

by Anonymousreply 3September 30, 2020 10:18 AM

Happy Birthday Ezra. I hope you are getting the help that you need.

by Anonymousreply 4September 30, 2020 10:18 AM

Every woman I know who's seen this and is a mother says this is the most disturbing movie they've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 5September 30, 2020 10:42 AM

R3, R1 here and I wanted to turn it off, but it was like watching a trainwreck. I tuned in about 30 minutes after OP posted about it being on and the next thing I know (spoiler alert) he was shooting up the gym with the hunting bow. Hopefully I can go back to sleep now.

by Anonymousreply 6September 30, 2020 10:44 AM

I watched it tonight and while I didn't care for the fragmented format, the tension was unrelenting and I was never bored. Tilda Swindon is my favorite actress and as great as she was in this, the focus was always on her and it had a negative effect. Despite the film's title, she never talked about Kevin or was anything but passive. Had the focus been on Kevin or anything other than her passive observation inaction, I could have identified or sympathized with her. Instead she did nothing despite blatantly obvious signs something was very wrong with him throughout his childhood.

by Anonymousreply 7September 30, 2020 10:49 AM

She shouldn't have had children and Kevin picked up on this.

by Anonymousreply 8September 30, 2020 10:53 AM

What's the film about? Why so disturbing? Please don't tell me lots as I scare easy. One sentence, someone?

by Anonymousreply 9September 30, 2020 2:39 PM

SPOILER R9, a woman who should not have had kids has a nut job son who ends up killing a bunch of teenagers at a school as well as his father and sister.

Not too much of a stretch for Ezra.

by Anonymousreply 10September 30, 2020 3:59 PM

Same, r3. I hadn't planned on watching it again last night, but I was drawn in. It really is a great film, disturbing as it is. And Tilda can be added to the Great Performances Shockingly Not Oscar Nominated thread.

by Anonymousreply 11September 30, 2020 5:58 PM

R5 It was directed by a woman (the film is part of TCM's 2-month "Women Make Films" spotlight), which makes total sense, as only a woman who's given birth can truly tell this story through the eyes of Swinton's character.

by Anonymousreply 12September 30, 2020 6:04 PM

It's an excellent film, one of the best of the past decade, but I find it hard to watch. Not because it's disturbing, after being on the internet for more than half my life now I'm immune to disturbing shit, but because Tilda Swinton's character is insufferable.

She hates herself sooooo much. Soooooo much. She stays with that loser for years despite what a shitty husband, father, and man he is. He never seems to give a shit about her for the entirety of the film yet she never leaves him. It's ridiculous and infuriating.

The fact that she blames herself for Kevin's "incident" is also infuriating. Maybe I don't get it because I'm not a mother, but Kevin grew up the way that he did because of his father. The movie tried to present it as a "nature vs nurture" thing but failed at making the Kevin-Tilda dynamic seem double sided. She'd try to raise him normally, he'd act like a psycho in some way, and she'd tried to discipline him for it like a normal parent would only to be shot down by her idiot husband. Correct me if I'm wrong but aside from the arm breaking incident she never really did anything wrong.

by Anonymousreply 13September 30, 2020 6:21 PM

It is one of the few films that shows how ambivalent and awkward many women are about being mothers. One friend went through 36 hours of horrendous labor and admitted to me that she didn't really love her son. She associated him with the worst day(s) of her life. The dad had to take over the loving parent role.

by Anonymousreply 14September 30, 2020 6:55 PM

I know more than one woman who was all hyped up to be a mother then when reality hit regretted it bitterly . 2 in my family. Neither raised their children. They divorced the fathers and gave up custody and have very little real relationships with their kids.

by Anonymousreply 15September 30, 2020 7:01 PM

who did ezra have to fuck, to get this movie played on tcm?

by Anonymousreply 16September 30, 2020 7:46 PM

Thank you r10

by Anonymousreply 17September 30, 2020 8:56 PM

Lynne Ramsay's first 2 films were good, but this and her last one sucked.

This felt like the last time Tilda actually played a human being, though. I'm so bored of her gimmicky roles.

by Anonymousreply 18September 30, 2020 8:58 PM

I read the book. Apparently Kevin hated her even from the time he was an infant, perhaps sensing she didn't really want him. He grows into the most monstrous child imaginable. She hates him but she realizes she's his mother and therefore has to take care of him and provide for him no matter how she feels about him. At the end of the novel she's keeping his room ready for him when he gets out of prison, which won't be that long in coming because he gets a relatively short sentence for his horrific crimes, supposedly because of his young age. The novel's theme seems to be that motherhood can be an unescapable hell on earth. I'm sure for some women that's the case.

by Anonymousreply 19September 30, 2020 9:12 PM

We need a sequel.

by Anonymousreply 20September 30, 2020 9:14 PM

[quote] Despite the film's title, she never talked about Kevin or was anything but passive.

Kinda the point Bucko.

by Anonymousreply 21September 30, 2020 9:18 PM

R20, perhaps for the sequel Kevin can start choking women.

by Anonymousreply 22September 30, 2020 9:49 PM

It's a bad film. The book, however, is excellent. Not only far more nuanced as you'd expect, but also very funny in parts. More of a satire of contemporary America than a horror story.

by Anonymousreply 23October 1, 2020 6:26 AM

r19 Yeah, a really disturbing book. [SPOILER] My take on the ending was that she kept the room ready because it was her penance for not being able to or wanting to love her child. And that this inability on her part made her just as awful as him. The idea that parents, especially mothers, may not love their children is still considered outrageous and taboo. I liked that the book explored that.

I remember reading - I think it was in Clockers by Richard Price - a passage where one of the characters was ruminating on his sons and how he really disliked them and thought they were assholes. I was kinda shocked at the time. But, then again, I really didn't like my family much either.

by Anonymousreply 24October 1, 2020 8:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!