Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Americans, which word do you think Brits pronounce the strangest?

It is every bit as valid a pronunciation there as our pronunciations are valid here, yet it still sounds bizarre to American ears.

I left off "aluminum" because they spell it differently (with an extra 'i').

by Anonymousreply 257November 23, 2020 5:15 PM

Aluminium.

by Anonymousreply 1September 30, 2020 5:58 AM

Fruit and veg.

by Anonymousreply 2September 30, 2020 5:59 AM

They also say "Buddha" as "BUHD-uh"

by Anonymousreply 3September 30, 2020 5:59 AM

Aluminium was actually invented in England. It's the US that misspelled it and mispronounced it.

by Anonymousreply 4September 30, 2020 6:00 AM

Oregano. The American pronunciation comes from the Italian. The British way of pronouncing it sounds downright bizarre. Like it. Is one of those weird UK first names like Plum or a rare STD.

by Anonymousreply 5September 30, 2020 6:00 AM

I chose lieutenant because it’s pronounced the like it’s written.

by Anonymousreply 6September 30, 2020 6:02 AM

[quote] Aluminium was actually invented in England.

It's a naturally-occurring metal. Nobody "invented" it.

by Anonymousreply 7September 30, 2020 6:02 AM

[quote] Oregano. The American pronunciation comes from the Italian.

In a similar vein - "Nicaragua".

by Anonymousreply 8September 30, 2020 6:02 AM

*pronounced the least like it’s written

by Anonymousreply 9September 30, 2020 6:03 AM

Where is the "Z" option?

by Anonymousreply 10September 30, 2020 6:04 AM

None of them, OP. It's Americans who pronounce most of those words strangely.

by Anonymousreply 11September 30, 2020 6:04 AM

Aluminium is an element. Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 12September 30, 2020 6:08 AM

In addition to some of their bizarre pronunciations, I find it funny when they use French words to describe vegetables that have an English word for it. For example, "courgette" and "aubergine". Their use of "coriander" to describe cilantro leaves is confusing.

by Anonymousreply 13September 30, 2020 6:08 AM

Controversy.

by Anonymousreply 14September 30, 2020 6:09 AM

Pumas and Jaguars are native to the Americas, so I would think an American pronunciation would take precedence.

by Anonymousreply 15September 30, 2020 6:09 AM

I cringe whenever an English person says “pasta”

by Anonymousreply 16September 30, 2020 6:10 AM

Herb.

by Anonymousreply 17September 30, 2020 6:18 AM

And patronize.

by Anonymousreply 18September 30, 2020 6:18 AM

Ralph

by Anonymousreply 19September 30, 2020 6:22 AM

Brits make a big deal about saying "to-MAH-to, instead of "to-may-to," but say "pass-ta" and "tack-o." What the fuck is up with that?

by Anonymousreply 20September 30, 2020 6:24 AM

salsa and samba with short a's like in cat.

Weird. They don't say salt that way.

by Anonymousreply 21September 30, 2020 6:27 AM

"SHED-yool" is the inexplicable one since they don't pronounce any other word that starts with "S-C-H" like that. They don't say "SHOLLER-ship" or "SHITZ-o-freenia".

However, my choice for strangest Brit pronunciation is "yu-RYE-null" for urinal. I wonder if their doctors ask for a "yu-RYE-n" sample.

by Anonymousreply 22September 30, 2020 6:35 AM

I nominate "cun-TROV-ersee" for "controversy" as the weirdest one.

by Anonymousreply 23September 30, 2020 6:37 AM

How does Pry-vat become Priv-Acy not Pry-Vacy?

by Anonymousreply 24September 30, 2020 6:45 AM

Paaah-stah and yog-urt are my two pet peeves.

I'm sort of split on or-eg-gahno. It's either adorable or annoying. Maybe both.

by Anonymousreply 25September 30, 2020 6:49 AM

Tah-Fu for tofu. The long a...why?

by Anonymousreply 26September 30, 2020 6:51 AM

Water.

by Anonymousreply 27September 30, 2020 6:54 AM

The way "schedule" is pronounced makes no sense because no other "sch" word is pronounced that way.

School Schooner Scholar Scholastic

Is it the BRF's German side coming out?

by Anonymousreply 28September 30, 2020 6:55 AM

[quote] Is it the BRF's German side coming out?

The Queen once mildly chastised CNN’s Royal Correspondent Max Foster for using the American pronunciation of schedule.

by Anonymousreply 29September 30, 2020 7:03 AM

Med-suhn for "medicine."

by Anonymousreply 30September 30, 2020 7:05 AM

I hate when they pronounce 'direct' as DY-rect.

by Anonymousreply 31September 30, 2020 7:12 AM

Ibitha

by Anonymousreply 32September 30, 2020 7:18 AM

Also "Los Angelease" (Los Angeles)

by Anonymousreply 33September 30, 2020 7:23 AM

The way they butcher the Spanish language is downright insulting

by Anonymousreply 34September 30, 2020 8:01 AM

They think they’re cute.

Uh.

by Anonymousreply 35September 30, 2020 8:10 AM

Shed-jull for schedule

Seck-Tree. For secretary

by Anonymousreply 36September 30, 2020 8:14 AM

The vitamins pronunciation always got to me because it was so off

by Anonymousreply 37September 30, 2020 8:17 AM

Some of these are said both ways by the way - a lot of Brits will also say SKED-YOOL, PRY-VASSY, your spelling of the pronounciation of vitamin makes no sense to me, it's VIT-A-MIN, I don't know where you got the 'MUHN' ending. I would say more Brits pronounce migraine as MY-GRAIN than your version too.

What I find funny is that English people actually invented the English language, so you could argue that it's the Americans who are saying it wrong, couldn't you?

by Anonymousreply 38September 30, 2020 8:50 AM

waistcoat

by Anonymousreply 39September 30, 2020 10:57 AM

Worcester

by Anonymousreply 40September 30, 2020 11:14 AM

UFO—pronounced as a word and not an abbreviation—bothers me the most.

by Anonymousreply 41September 30, 2020 11:17 AM

They say MEE-grayn? I didn’t know that one. So I voted for it. Eh.

by Anonymousreply 42September 30, 2020 11:21 AM

Paella with anglo 'L's

by Anonymousreply 43September 30, 2020 11:22 AM

ingredientses.

Cummon..

by Anonymousreply 44September 30, 2020 11:36 AM

[QUOTE] R13 In addition to some of their bizarre pronunciations, I find it funny when they use French words to describe vegetables that have an English word for it. For example, "courgette" and "aubergine". Their use of "coriander" to describe cilantro leaves is confusing.

A sizeable chunk of France was under English control during the Angevin Empire. A lot of French words in the English language are equally English.

Why would you invent different words for items when you need to trade with your neighbours?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 30, 2020 11:42 AM

R13 I learned when I did a study abroad in England that British English is heavily influenced by French. I studied French in school and I realized in England that vocabulary, pronunciation and even some speech patterns, such as making declarative sentences questions by ending with doesn’t it?/don’t you think?/isn’t it?/n’est-ce pas?, is effectively the same in both languages and entirely different than American English. And it makes sense, given that England and France are next door neighbors divided by a relatively narrow channel, and the UK and US are divided by a vast ocean.

But speaking of Britishisms that irk us, I can’t get used to “different to.” It just doesn’t make any sense to me.

by Anonymousreply 46September 30, 2020 11:53 AM

American opinions on anything only matter after the November election.

Shame! Shame! Shame!

by Anonymousreply 47September 30, 2020 11:56 AM

[quote] Americans, which word do you think Brits pronounce the strangest?

[quote] It is every bit as valid a pronunciation there as our pronunciations are valid here, yet it still sounds bizarre to American ears.

You're not a Brit. You know it. I know it. And you know I know it.

Your reality is SSDI.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 30, 2020 12:04 PM

To me, when they say perfect it sounds like pear-fect, with heavy emphasis on pear.

It's charming.

by Anonymousreply 49September 30, 2020 12:04 PM

I read once on the Internet that aluminium was originally spelled aluminum. If that is the case, then wouldn't the American way of pronouncing it be correct?

by Anonymousreply 50September 30, 2020 12:54 PM

Niche: UK = neesh, US = nitch.

by Anonymousreply 51September 30, 2020 1:02 PM

It annoys me that they say he's in HOSPITAL instead of he's in THE hospital.

by Anonymousreply 52September 30, 2020 1:04 PM

the city in Spain.. Malaga . Muh LAG uh!

drives me crazy!

by Anonymousreply 53September 30, 2020 1:07 PM

R52 That’s also French.

R51 I am from DC and I have always said “neesh,” as does everyone I know.

by Anonymousreply 54September 30, 2020 1:07 PM

I've written this on DL before, but the "shedjool" pronunciation must have started with someone thinking the "sch" was pronounced the German way. The H is obviously in the word to signal that it's from Greek and has a hard K sound, as in "school" or "schizophrenia."

by Anonymousreply 55September 30, 2020 1:09 PM

[quote]Niche: UK = neesh, US = nitch.

As is necessary for the rhyme DL fave Dorothy Parker wrote in William Randolph Hearst's guest book after seeing a Della Robbia placed over Marion Davies's door:

Upon my honor / I saw a Madonna / standing in a niche / above the door / of the private whore / of the world's worst son of a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 56September 30, 2020 1:11 PM

I'm a Canadian. I use the LEFF version of lieutenant as do many other of the Canucks of my generation (senior). Also, I'm a Zed advocate although Zee seems to be taking over.

by Anonymousreply 57September 30, 2020 1:19 PM

One thing that really drives me nuts about Brits’ speech isn’t really so much their pronunciation but, really, the tendency to really overuse one particular word. It can get really maddening once you notice it, really.

by Anonymousreply 58September 30, 2020 1:24 PM

Mah-LAY-zia (Malaysia) and Indo-NEE-zia (Indonesia).

by Anonymousreply 59September 30, 2020 1:36 PM

R59 That's a regional RP quirk rather than a national British one. A bit like Keenya for Kenya.

by Anonymousreply 60September 30, 2020 1:41 PM

Lord Cholmondeley

Althorp -- until the morons simplified the pronunciation

by Anonymousreply 61September 30, 2020 2:11 PM

R50 I don't know if that's true or not, but what doesn't make sense to me is that there are plenty of other metallic elements that follow the 'ium' ending, so calling it 'aluminum' instead of 'aluminium' just seems wrong to me.

R59 how the hell else would you pronounce either of those places?

by Anonymousreply 62September 30, 2020 2:53 PM

Those pronunciations of schedule, privacy, vitamin and migraine are quite rare, OP.

by Anonymousreply 63September 30, 2020 3:16 PM

I’ve heard Brits say skuh-LEE-tuhl for skeletal, yet they don’t say skuh-LEE-tuhn for skeleton.

R38: That excuse only applies to the English language. It doesn’t explain the English habit of deliberately mispronouncing foreign words.

Lieutenant, a French word, is pronounced with an unnecessary ‘f’ as a way to “stick it to the Frenchies”, according to one Brit on another DL thread. Talk about holding a grudge.

Jaguar, a Portuguese word, is incorrectly pronounced as JAG-yoo-wer. Then there is the ridiculous way they say Spanish words. Los Angeleeze, really? Already mentioned is their butchery of Italian words like pasta and oregano.

Seems like the UK has an intentional disregard for foreign words. Is it part of the English national character to be dismissive (or even contemptuous) of foreigners? Is it xenophobia? Yes, plenty of Americans are guilty of this. But being a nation of immigrants, we are more diverse and less homogenized than England, so there are also plenty of Americans who do make an effort to pronounce non-English words correctly.

by Anonymousreply 64September 30, 2020 3:23 PM

[quote] What I find funny is that English people actually invented the English language, so you could argue that it's the Americans who are saying it wrong, couldn't you?

You could if you were just a child who did not know better, I suppose.

Historical linguists would counter that languages are not 'invented" at one moment, nor are they owned by anyone--that they are living, growing things, and the Americans and the Australians and the Nigerians and the Canadians, etc. have every bit as much right to it as the English do. Languages are not "owned."

by Anonymousreply 65September 30, 2020 3:24 PM

Boatswain

by Anonymousreply 66September 30, 2020 3:25 PM

Cholmondeley=Chumley

by Anonymousreply 67September 30, 2020 3:27 PM

Proper names (of people and places) is a completely different thing, r67.

by Anonymousreply 68September 30, 2020 3:48 PM

Except R65, you are not speaking English, you're speaking a derivative, pidgin English. Just have done with it and say that you are speaking American, a language with its roots in 17th century English. Saying that English is a closed language that looks down on foreign words is clearly ridiculous, English is a mongrel language that has borrowed words from all over the world, from bungalow and pyjamas (Indian) to Pork and Beef (French) as just a small selection, your angst (German) on this subject (French) is quite ironical (French) really.

PS. As to you R13, the reason you are confused as to why the English do not use Cilantro but Coriander, is because Cilantro is a Spanish borrow word that has made its way into American.

by Anonymousreply 69September 30, 2020 3:53 PM

I'm not sure you can criticize the pronunciation of loan words; when a word becomes part of another language, it's then subject to the conventions of that language, so how it was pronounced in the original language is pretty irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 70September 30, 2020 3:57 PM

^ Well, if you go by that line of reasoning, then no one can complain about the pronunciation of any word ever. "We've adopted your foreign word as our own, so we'll pronounce it any way we like. Our rules, our conventions. And we shouldn't get upset if you take one of our words and pronounce it however you damn well please."

by Anonymousreply 71September 30, 2020 4:41 PM

I think the only persons who find British pronunciation strange are those who have never taken a foreign language, or never visited GB. In fact, its Americans who pronounce strangely.

by Anonymousreply 72September 30, 2020 4:41 PM

[quote]Also "Los Angelease" (Los Angeles)

That was a very common pronunciation in the US up until at least the '50s. You hear it all the time on old radio shows.

by Anonymousreply 73September 30, 2020 5:11 PM

You also hear loss ANGLE-uss.

by Anonymousreply 74September 30, 2020 5:12 PM

In the US, cilantro refers to the plant/leaf/herb; coriander refers to the seed/spice.

by Anonymousreply 75September 30, 2020 5:13 PM

Taliaferro=Tolliver

by Anonymousreply 76September 30, 2020 5:14 PM

Do they say broo-SKETT-uh, or broo-SHETT-uh in the UK? I hear both in the US; the former is correct in Italian.

by Anonymousreply 77September 30, 2020 5:15 PM

Can someone find a video of them saying Lieutenant?

Never heard that.

by Anonymousreply 78September 30, 2020 5:17 PM

Angelica Huston’s character in The Grifters calls it Los Angeleeze too. I always thought it was charming, like a throwback to film noir LA.

Also, “Los Feliz”.Many older people still call it Los Feeelez, part of a 40’s and 50’s Americana that is fading away.

by Anonymousreply 79September 30, 2020 5:23 PM

In the 80s: DIN-uh-stee for "Dynasty" and MACK-o for macho. Tic tac toe is "O's and crosses".

by Anonymousreply 80September 30, 2020 5:30 PM

R33, that’s how Lucille Ball pronounced it

by Anonymousreply 81September 30, 2020 5:34 PM

[quote]Tic tac toe is "O's and crosses".

When did that change? I’ve heard it called naughts and crosses.

by Anonymousreply 82September 30, 2020 5:40 PM

That's correct, R71. No-one gets upset about words derived from Greek or Latin.

by Anonymousreply 83September 30, 2020 6:41 PM

Blah

by Anonymousreply 84September 30, 2020 6:47 PM

Garage

by Anonymousreply 85September 30, 2020 6:47 PM

Here, R7. Does this satisfy your anal retentivity.

[quote] The British physicist and chemist Sir Humphry Davy was the first to obtain a new chemical element using electrolysis: he was able to obtain boron from boric acid. He went on to use electrolysis to isolate six more previously unknown metals: potassium, sodium, barium, calcium, magnesium and strontium. It was Davy who proved the existence of aluminium, the metal found in alumina, and gave it its name.

So "discovered" and named.

by Anonymousreply 86September 30, 2020 6:48 PM

checkers=draughts

by Anonymousreply 87September 30, 2020 7:01 PM

braid(ed)=plait(ed)

by Anonymousreply 88September 30, 2020 7:01 PM

Fanny.

by Anonymousreply 89September 30, 2020 7:06 PM

[quote] " ...And we shouldn't get upset if you take one of our words and pronounce it however you damn well please."

No one sane WOULD get upset about this.

by Anonymousreply 90September 30, 2020 7:08 PM

Zip! - English people don't say "clerk," they say "clark;"

Zip! - Anybody who says "clark" is a "jark."

by Anonymousreply 91September 30, 2020 8:03 PM

Two additional items:

In meteorology, America has clouds in the sky. Apparently in the UK there is but one cloud that affects weather.

Similarly, listen to a sports cast. A UK football team (Arsenal, for example) is spoken as third person singular. In the US, a team is a plural subject.

by Anonymousreply 92September 30, 2020 8:23 PM

There are big differences between the regions of the UK, even between neighbouring Towns and Cities. TV and Radio have homogenised them a little but they still very much exist.

The accent that most people in The US regard as English is Received Pronunciation or Estuary English.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93September 30, 2020 8:34 PM

[quote]A UK football team (Arsenal, for example) is spoken as third person singular. In the US, a team is a plural subject.

I think this is backwards. British: "Arsenal are looking good." American: "New York doesn't have a chance this year."

by Anonymousreply 94September 30, 2020 8:35 PM

Derby as "Darby"

by Anonymousreply 95September 30, 2020 8:49 PM

[quote] There are big differences between the regions of the UK, even between neighbouring Towns and Cities. TV and Radio have homogenised them a little but they still very much exist.

The US is the same. People from NY, Boston, the South, the Upper Midwest, etc. all hav e their own ways of pronouncing things. (Duh.)

by Anonymousreply 96September 30, 2020 9:04 PM

r94 is right. Corporations and organizations are always plural in BritSpeak: "Apple have introduced a new gadget today."

by Anonymousreply 97September 30, 2020 9:04 PM

R95 The City of Derby originated as a Roman Camp called 'Derventio'. It is recorded in old English as Deoraby, (village of the deer).

On a map made in 1610 it is recorded as 'Darbye' which is pretty close to the current pronunciation. The usage of the word to mean race is from the 18th Century when The Earl of Derby organized a horse race.

Brits are correct in their pronunciation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98September 30, 2020 9:07 PM

Raymond Luxury-Yacht

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99September 30, 2020 9:16 PM

Garage

by Anonymousreply 100September 30, 2020 9:45 PM

I always think the American way of pronouncing Basil is funny and herb, is hilarious as well.

YUMAN is bizarre so is vaze and YUMID....ohmygad it's so yumid today!

And route sounds silly...ROWTE...it depends which ROWTE you take, Tony.

And the way some Americans say ruff for roof is a riot.

by Anonymousreply 101September 30, 2020 10:08 PM

Not a pronunciation, but they almost always refer to it as "the menopause" ... like it's the main event or something.

by Anonymousreply 102September 30, 2020 10:22 PM

Pall Mall Can't Spall

by Anonymousreply 103September 30, 2020 10:23 PM

[quote]Not a pronunciation, but they almost always refer to it as "the menopause"

How do Americans say it?

I lived in America YEARS ago and STILL say weekend, magazine and massage the American way.

by Anonymousreply 104September 30, 2020 10:26 PM

[quote]Not a pronunciation, but they almost always refer to it as "the menopause"

Sorry, I get it now.

we also refer to some "important" streets with the THE.

It's off THE Edgware Road.

Americans drop street and avenue etc...we only do that in reference to where we live or somewhere know very well.

by Anonymousreply 105September 30, 2020 10:29 PM

[quote]And route sounds silly...ROWTE...it depends which ROWTE you take, Tony.

Americans use both pronunciations: root/rowt. I think ROOT is more common when referring to a specific highway (Route 66), but ROWT is more common when you're talking about planning a way to get somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 106September 30, 2020 10:29 PM

[quote]but ROWT is more common when you're talking about planning a way to get somewhere.

Interesting. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 107September 30, 2020 10:31 PM

Brits can't even speak the language they invented. Very sad. They turn words into baby gibberish all the time. It's gross.

by Anonymousreply 108September 30, 2020 10:40 PM

[quote]How do Americans say it?

We say menopause, not THE menopause. Then again, we say "the flu", not "flu".

by Anonymousreply 109September 30, 2020 10:41 PM

Yet we don't say THE hospital. But we do say THE garage.

by Anonymousreply 110September 30, 2020 10:44 PM

Era

Buoy

by Anonymousreply 111September 30, 2020 10:45 PM

Yes, Americans say buoy very oddly, don't they?

And poem. They say pom.

by Anonymousreply 112September 30, 2020 10:47 PM

I love the way Americans talk about "snacks" - as in, I'll have a few snacks during the day.

And I love even more "treats" for dogs.

by Anonymousreply 113September 30, 2020 10:49 PM

Or Canadians "PAHHHH-sta" R16

by Anonymousreply 114September 30, 2020 10:49 PM

I also like 'visit with' as in "how was your visit with, Muriel?"

by Anonymousreply 115September 30, 2020 10:51 PM

Garage

by Anonymousreply 116September 30, 2020 10:57 PM

Aluminum really rankles my cankles.

by Anonymousreply 117September 30, 2020 11:01 PM

Forgot my link.

And remember, you can light either end!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118September 30, 2020 11:06 PM

Canadians and British say pa-sta. Americans sound weird saying pah-sta.

by Anonymousreply 119September 30, 2020 11:25 PM

McDonalds as "MAC-don-olls"

by Anonymousreply 120September 30, 2020 11:31 PM

r119 It's not weird-sounding if it's following the pronunciation in the original language.

by Anonymousreply 121September 30, 2020 11:42 PM

missaisle (missle)

by Anonymousreply 122September 30, 2020 11:42 PM

R67

Beauchamp = Beecham. I recall a San Francisco socialite in a Tales of the City book by Maupin named Beauchamp Day. I suspect that the British pronunciation is deemed classier. Also Schuyler ought to be pronounced Skyler ; Americans are not immune to snobbism. I'm sure that Edith Wharton could parse all these nuances.

by Anonymousreply 123September 30, 2020 11:51 PM

Cholmondeley = Chumlee

by Anonymousreply 124September 30, 2020 11:57 PM

PASS-tuh

and whenever I watch a Brit Com, I bristle when they take off to the res-TRANH. So French. So irritating.

I yearn for someone to pronounce the T.

But I am fond of the Brit contraction for Isn't it: innit

And I love when they pronounce world.

by Anonymousreply 125October 1, 2020 12:06 AM

Leveson-Gower = Loosen Gore

by Anonymousreply 126October 1, 2020 12:07 AM

Hyacinth Bucket

by Anonymousreply 127October 1, 2020 12:17 AM

Mainwaring = Mannering

by Anonymousreply 128October 1, 2020 12:34 AM

If there's an "r" on the end of a word, they take it off, but if there's a vowel at the end, they add an "r." Weird.

by Anonymousreply 129October 1, 2020 12:48 AM

R129, they only add an "r" at the end if the next word begins with a vowel sound.

However, they hypercorrect with "drawing" by pronouncing it drawring.

by Anonymousreply 130October 1, 2020 12:56 AM

PrinCESS

by Anonymousreply 131October 1, 2020 1:04 AM

The way this English guy says property as proper-E. Cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132October 1, 2020 1:08 AM

[quote] And poem. They say pom.

I'm American, but don't know anybody who pronounces it that way. Growing up in the Midwest, I did know people who pronounced it POME. Live on the East Coast now and everyone I know says PO-um.

by Anonymousreply 133October 1, 2020 1:13 AM

[quote] Americans use both pronunciations: root/rowt. I think ROOT is more common when referring to a specific highway (Route 66), but ROWT is more common when you're talking about planning a way to get somewhere.

Huh? ROOT vs. ROWT generally depends on the region you live in; never known anyone to use different pronunciations for "Route 66" and "let's take this route."

by Anonymousreply 134October 1, 2020 1:16 AM

How about words that don't even exist in American English--like NOWT.

by Anonymousreply 135October 1, 2020 1:16 AM

Americans don't even say "blimey" !

by Anonymousreply 136October 1, 2020 1:27 AM

Not a word, but the r-glide they use to avoid hiatus when two vowels come together between words: like "once the pass-ter is drained ..." or "how about a vaniller ice, then?"

I believe, however, that this is not a very posh usage.

by Anonymousreply 137October 1, 2020 1:39 AM

British and Canadians say "You're Welcome'. Americans grunt "uh-huhhhh"

by Anonymousreply 138October 1, 2020 1:43 AM

British people rarely say "you're welcome." They might, in fact, respond to "thank you" with another "thank you."

And Americans say, ""no problem!"; Canadians, "no worries!"

by Anonymousreply 139October 1, 2020 1:46 AM

R127 According to Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced Bouquet) it's a Hoo-gen-not name. Are the Huguenots the only refugees in history who were considered classier than the indigenous population ?

by Anonymousreply 140October 1, 2020 1:46 AM

It's very strange how they pronounce "Hi there" as "OI CUNT".

by Anonymousreply 141October 1, 2020 2:00 AM

Banahnarahma

by Anonymousreply 142October 1, 2020 2:10 AM

Gar-rage = garage

by Anonymousreply 143October 1, 2020 3:02 AM

literally as "litrally"

by Anonymousreply 144October 1, 2020 4:07 AM

Oy, grab me free (three) bags of crisps.

by Anonymousreply 145October 1, 2020 4:22 AM

R52 It used to irritate me when Brits say “in hospital” but as an American, we are guilty of saying “in/at school” or “in college.” As in “Johnny is in school” or “She’s doing well in college.”

by Anonymousreply 146October 1, 2020 4:23 AM

[quote] Canadians and British say pa-sta. Americans sound weird saying pah-sta.

Presumably you must think the Italians do too, then,

by Anonymousreply 147October 1, 2020 4:50 AM

[quote] Aluminium was actually invented in England.

This is the single stupidest claim I have ever seen on Datalounge. You cannot [italic]invent[/italic] an element. It would be like claiming they invented water or fire.

by Anonymousreply 148October 1, 2020 4:53 AM

Huguenots? My mother's family name is Norman French!

by Anonymousreply 149October 1, 2020 7:26 AM

R58, I say!

by Anonymousreply 150October 1, 2020 7:41 AM

R59 and r60? How do YOU pronounce those names?

by Anonymousreply 151October 1, 2020 7:47 AM

A lot of American expressions I'd never even heard until I came to DL. So I have no idea how they're pronounced. "gurl, puhlease" for example. A most useful expression.

by Anonymousreply 152October 1, 2020 7:54 AM

Fracas.

American = FRAY-kis.

British = FRAH-KAH.

by Anonymousreply 153October 1, 2020 7:55 AM

[quote]American = FRAY-kis.

REALLY?

How do Americans pronounce buoy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154October 1, 2020 8:00 AM

-The short a in pasta and Las Vegas still grates in my nerves after years here. -When a Brit wants to sound cultured, they over enunciate foreign words like rioja, chorizo and Van Gogh. but they get paella and fajita wrong every time. If there’s a throaty CH or explosive TH sound, they are going to turn the dial to 11. -They get really jingoistic about courgette instead of zucchini even though it’s a recent introduction from French (versus Italian). Same for aubergine instead of eggplant which actually has a English root word. Don’t get me started on mange-tout. -They will ignorantly complain about supposed ‘Americanisms’ like soccer and Fall even though they are firmly rooted in this island. Certain regional dialects here say schedule like the US and some use mom instead of mum. They say scone both ways as well as controversy and privacy. -To be fair, it’s a losing battle with Americanisms, and they seep in just through osmosis and the media onslaught. When I first moved here, the word awesome was being fiercely rejected for example, but now it’s firmly established. People complained about the hyperbole, but Brits do the same using words like lovely, gorgeous and brilliant. I had a coworker wax on about how gorgeous her egg sandwich was one day.

by Anonymousreply 155October 1, 2020 8:36 AM

Yes, r154. REALLY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156October 1, 2020 8:38 AM

Oh, and it's "boo-wee," r154.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157October 1, 2020 8:41 AM

R155, And Brits get their PIAT over calling forehead hair "bangs" instead of "fringe"!

by Anonymousreply 158October 1, 2020 8:44 AM

R158 "Bangs" is nonsensical to Brits. It's not a matter of pronunciation.

by Anonymousreply 159October 1, 2020 8:49 AM

The funniest reaction and quick learning experience I had was using the US pronunciation of ‘caulk’ in the UK. It had people on the floor laughing.

by Anonymousreply 160October 1, 2020 8:56 AM

R104 -

"I lived in America YEARS ago and STILL say weekend, magazine and massage the American way."

I'm puzzled by this - what on earth is the American way of saying these and how does it differ from the British way? The only one I think could have varied pronunciation (either of which is acceptable/used in the UK) is massage - being either MASS-ARGE or MUH-SARGE.

By the way, there is someone (or possibly more than one person) who clearly doesn't understand the point of this thread and keeps posting nouns that are pronounced very differently from how they are spelt. You don't seem to have grasped the concept.

by Anonymousreply 161October 1, 2020 9:07 AM

[quote]Oh, and it's "boo-wee," [R154].

That's REALLY peculiar, you must admit.

by Anonymousreply 162October 1, 2020 9:07 AM

[quote]"I lived in America YEARS ago and STILL say weekend, magazine and massage the American way." I'm puzzled by this - what on earth is the American way of saying these and how does it differ from the British way? The only one I think could have varied pronunciation (either of which is acceptable/used in the UK) is massage - being either MASS-ARGE or MUH-SARGE.

Be puzzled no longer.

Americans say Mass-ARGE with the emphasis on the arge. In England we say MASS-arge...emphasis on the MASS.

Americans say MAG-azine. We say Maga-ZEEN.

Americans say WEEK-end. We say week-END.

Got it?

by Anonymousreply 163October 1, 2020 9:13 AM

I hate how they pronounce massage.

by Anonymousreply 164October 1, 2020 9:18 AM

Who are THEY?

by Anonymousreply 165October 1, 2020 9:27 AM

r163 We don't put an "r" in massage. If anything, it's mah-SAHJ.

And I've heard "magazine" both ways in the US. Probably the first way is more common, but the second wouldn't sound odd. Same for things like EN-velope vs. ON-velope, or EN-dive vs. on-DEEV.

by Anonymousreply 166October 1, 2020 1:49 PM

R166, R163 is British. The "R" isn't pronounced but indicates that the preceding 'a' pronounced /ɑː/.

by Anonymousreply 167October 1, 2020 1:57 PM

*is pronounced...

by Anonymousreply 168October 1, 2020 1:58 PM

Shallot. Brits say shuh-LOT.

by Anonymousreply 169October 1, 2020 2:05 PM

Brew-shetta Ex-presso

Both do my bleeding head in.

by Anonymousreply 170October 1, 2020 2:37 PM

It's cute how they spell curb "kerb".

by Anonymousreply 171October 1, 2020 6:00 PM

Britons also say "at the weekend," like "at the end of the week."

Americans say "on the weekend," analogous with "on Saturday, on Sunday," etc.

by Anonymousreply 172October 1, 2020 6:18 PM

They also say "she fell pregnant" instead of just saying "she is pregnant"

by Anonymousreply 173October 1, 2020 6:22 PM

[quote]It's cute how they spell curb "kerb".

And gaol.

by Anonymousreply 174October 1, 2020 6:38 PM

Golliwog, I beg your pardon.

by Anonymousreply 175October 1, 2020 6:51 PM

[quote]They also say "she fell pregnant"

I've never heard that.

"What's wrong with that gurl?" "She fell pregnant!" ...NO!

by Anonymousreply 176October 1, 2020 7:00 PM

Well, at least in Britain you won't need to worry if you get knocked up.

by Anonymousreply 177October 1, 2020 7:06 PM

Or if you’re up the duff.

by Anonymousreply 178October 1, 2020 7:12 PM

straightaway vs. right away

by Anonymousreply 179October 1, 2020 7:16 PM

[quote]Also "Los Angelease" (Los Angeles)

If you are able to access old US radio recordings of news and interviews, airchecks, and station IDs from the late 1920s through the 1930s, you'll discover that most announcers and many newscasters, including those originating in California, pronounce the city as "Los Angelease".

"You are listening to station KNX, "Los Angelease". 1050 kHz on your dial."

by Anonymousreply 180October 1, 2020 7:17 PM

Who cares how a country of uncut smelly cocks pronounce words.

by Anonymousreply 181October 1, 2020 7:22 PM

The 1,800 people who've read this thread, R181 - for starters and the 84 different posters.

by Anonymousreply 182October 1, 2020 7:42 PM

Nation of fags.

by Anonymousreply 183October 1, 2020 8:02 PM

They say "whilst".

by Anonymousreply 184October 1, 2020 9:50 PM

^ Not about pronunciation

by Anonymousreply 185October 1, 2020 10:00 PM

R159, Did you read only my post? The thread had digressed by then.

by Anonymousreply 186October 1, 2020 10:02 PM

R162, I linked to the spoken pronunciation (several of the same, in fact), so no, I don't have to "admit it's peculiar" when "boo-wee" is correct.

by Anonymousreply 187October 1, 2020 10:06 PM

R64 is so up his American ass that he doesn’t realize that the American pronunciation of Los Angeles is just as ridiculous.

It’s Los Anhheles.

by Anonymousreply 188October 1, 2020 10:19 PM

r180: See R73 r74 and r79

by Anonymousreply 189October 1, 2020 11:08 PM

[R188]And you would be wrong, you ignorant twat. I live in California, so I'm familiar with Spanish words and have friends who are fluent in Spanish. Americans who say Los Angeles, without using the "h" sound, are still closer to the correct pronunciation than Brits who pronounce the ending like it's a Greek word.

Your mistake #2: It's pronounced Los Ahngheles. That's how bilingual Mexican-Americans around here say it. The g is still sounded before the h.

You actually thought you were going to school me? LMAO! The asshat on this thread is you. And only one comment in your history, too — I smell a stinky sock puppet account.

by Anonymousreply 190October 1, 2020 11:12 PM

Well looky looky. R188's comment history expanded to more than one comment. You're still an ignorant twat, though. You must be one of those Brits who has never set foot in Los Angeles, yet has the extra nerve to tell Americans to pronounce the word incorrectly.

by Anonymousreply 191October 1, 2020 11:19 PM

R191 and R190 your two laughs are worth about as much as two North Korean laughs after I tell them that their laughs are worth about as much as two American laughs when confronted about their highly delusional views of their own country.

Laugh all you want, by the end of the day, I’m not in your brainwashed shithole country, so all is good.

by Anonymousreply 192October 2, 2020 10:43 AM

[quote]your two laughs are worth about as much as two North Korean laughs after I tell them that their laughs are worth about as much as two American laughs when confronted about their highly delusional views of their own country.

That has got to be the stupidest thing I've read here in quite some time. What a mixture of word salad and verbal diarrhea. Is English even your native language? Thanks for the third laugh, twat.

Oh, and you have shit credibility. You're the same idiot on another thread who thinks the flu vaccine causes the flu (the talking points of the anti-science/anti-vaxxer/conspiracy loons). You must be the UK's version of a Trumper. Don't bother to stand in line when the coronavirus vaccine finally becomes available to the general public.

[quote]I’m not in your brainwashed shithole country, so all is good.

What happens in the U.S. affects the world, including your podunk island, clueless one. Your country very much needs U.S. aid. And what the fuck are you even doing on DL, an American website? Take your sorry xenophobic ass to England's version of DL.

Oh, that's right. [bold]You don't have one![/bold] Not only are you a foolish know-nothing regarding Spanish, you're a stupidly rude guest who got his fee-fees butthurt on a thread that specifically asked for American opinions. Such a pallid, thin-skinned boy you are.

by Anonymousreply 193October 2, 2020 11:23 AM

R193 Well, I hope you enjoyed your three laughs, but something tells me you didn't even laugh once.

by Anonymousreply 194October 2, 2020 2:28 PM

^ha-ha

by Anonymousreply 195October 2, 2020 4:02 PM

How dare people who live in different countries that share a language have the utter temerity to pronounce words differently. Anyone would think there weren’t more pressing problems currently that adults might discuss. Like adults.

What happened to the sophisticated witticisms and laser-like bitchery ? Or is it the thing now to impersonate illiterate breeders ? Just asking for a friend.

by Anonymousreply 196October 2, 2020 5:00 PM

Some of the pronunciation changes are relatively recent. For example, they make a HUGE deal about pronouncing the h in 'herbs'.

Well - they didn't either until around early 20th century when not pronouncing 'h's became a sign of lower social standing and poor grammar. The applied it to 'herbs' even though it didn't need to be as it was originally a french word. In its overzealousness, they inserted the haitch into it.

There are so many examples of Brits not knowing how their language has evolved in the past 150 years and calling out everyone else who used to speak it the original way. It's annoying as fuck. THEY changed it - not us.

by Anonymousreply 197October 2, 2020 5:08 PM

[quote] English people don't say "clerk," they say "clark;"

Yes, I noticed that. Very upsetting.

by Anonymousreply 198October 2, 2020 5:37 PM

Have any Brits explained just why-the-fuck they can’t pronounce lieutenant properly?

I think Brits can say “in lieu of” correctly.

I think they pronounce “tenant” properly.

But put the lieu and the tenant together and now there’s an F sound?

by Anonymousreply 199October 2, 2020 6:30 PM

R195 Yes because there is no point in discussing things with you / North Koreans.

;)

by Anonymousreply 200October 2, 2020 8:23 PM

[quote]Have any Brits explained just why-the-fuck they can’t pronounce lieutenant properly?

I remember reading some story out loud in class at my school in London and I pronounced it the American way (avid Kojak watcher) and the teacher laughing about it.

by Anonymousreply 201October 2, 2020 8:28 PM

We've adopted American words recently. We say forward-slash now, we used to say forward stroke.

We used to say "gate" for the # sign on the phone.

We used to call erasers "rubbers" - now we say erasers.

& I've noticed journalists now write purlease! when in fact it's PUHLEASE, but they're trying. They don't say "gurl, puhlease!" though.

by Anonymousreply 202October 2, 2020 8:37 PM

The eye-ther and n-eye-ther pronunciations, instead of eether and neether, go back a little over two centuries. I don't know why the changed, but the latter were the original.

by Anonymousreply 203October 2, 2020 8:58 PM

r203 Let's call the whole thing off.

by Anonymousreply 204October 2, 2020 9:15 PM

R200: Yet here you are, continuing to post pointless replies. *eyeroll*

by Anonymousreply 205October 3, 2020 1:53 AM

R205 Maybe I just like to partake in pointless bitchery, as per the welcoming message of this entire board.

by Anonymousreply 206October 3, 2020 5:23 AM

^Pffft! You're nothing but a troll, an amateurish one, devoid of wit and knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 207October 3, 2020 6:13 AM

Easy R199, as an old French word for position holder (essentially someone second in command) the U and V were pretty much the same at one point so in old French Lieu (position) would have been pronounced as a "v", creating the British Liev(f) tenant (holder) pronunciation. The French language has changed as much as any other, as well as many French borrow words that were deliberately anglicised during periods of war between Britain and France in the same way the the USA changed words and spellings to distance themselves from the British.

by Anonymousreply 208October 3, 2020 2:01 PM

I am a major Anglophile but I’ll never understand why they pronounce the letter “Z” as Zed.

The also pronounce the letter “H” with a H at the beginning. Instead of “aitch” the say “haitch”.

by Anonymousreply 209October 3, 2020 2:40 PM

"Zed" comes from French "zède," which came from the Greco-Roman "zeta."

"Haitch" is how the Aussies say it, too.

by Anonymousreply 210October 3, 2020 4:27 PM

I lived in London for 2 years, but prior when I was just exploring the words that are so off for me phonetically were:

-Leicester = Lester

-Aluminum = Alu-mini-um - I think for everyday conversation, if I had to pick one work, this is the most different pronunciation

-Cholmondeley = Is this just pronounced Chom-ley in the UK? This one really throws me off. This doesn't come up but I remember reading this in relationship to Wills and was totally lost reading that word

-Barnard = Barn-ard

-Yeah = Yaaaa - this is something I picked up that I can't seem shake

by Anonymousreply 211October 3, 2020 4:39 PM

R91, add to that

Berkeley Square - Barkley

Derby, Derbyshire - Darby

Hertford - Hartford

Kerr - Karr

by Anonymousreply 212October 3, 2020 5:21 PM

Berkeley for sure. I would pronounce it like the the University but Barkley. Good call.

Birmingham is like = Birming-am, no H really

by Anonymousreply 213October 3, 2020 5:36 PM

R212 The US also follows the 'er' as 'ar' pronunciation with Sergeant.

by Anonymousreply 214October 3, 2020 5:41 PM

[quote]-Aluminum = Alu-mini-um - I think for everyday conversation, if I had to pick one work, this is the most different pronunciation

There's an extensive discussion of aluminum/aluminium upthread. It's pronounced differently because it's SPELLED differently.

by Anonymousreply 215October 3, 2020 10:35 PM

R211 Cholmondley is a bit of a weird one. If you are using it as a family name or place name you'd stick to 'Chumley'. It changes though if it's a street name (we have a Cholmondley Rd and Avenue nearby), If you want taxi or to give directions you pretty much have to say it how you spell it. People just get confused otherwise.

Another one local to me is Chandos Rd which is pronounced 'Shandos', though that doesn't seem to cause a problem

Featherstonhaugh is of course always pronounced as 'Fanshaw' in England though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216October 4, 2020 1:34 PM

What's crack-a-lackin'? I love me some British slang and pronunciations. Though I sometimes do have to turn on closed captioning when I'm watching British TV shows.

by Anonymousreply 217October 4, 2020 5:34 PM

Apparently it's American slang, sounds Oirish to me...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218October 5, 2020 8:16 PM

We were just watching a report from BBC News, and one of the reporters pronounced "Nicaragua" as NICK QUEUE RAG GREW AH.

My boyfriend and I just looked at each to make sure that we both heard what we'd just heard and started to laugh.

by Anonymousreply 219November 18, 2020 12:51 AM

Versa-till.

by Anonymousreply 220November 18, 2020 12:53 AM

Antibiotics becomes Ante-be-otics

by Anonymousreply 221November 18, 2020 1:01 AM

@Bencjacobs

Trump's Nevada electors, including the chair of the Nevada Republican Party, are suing to either have Trump declared the winner of Nevada or to have the presidential election in the state annulled entirely.

4:50 PM · Nov 17, 2020

by Anonymousreply 222November 18, 2020 1:47 AM

oops - maybe the Brits say Nuh-vah-dah?

Probably not since they tend to ignore the Spanish 'a' in words like salsa, samba, etc.

But then, we do too, when it comes to Nevada.

Why? Just to stick it to the original residents?

by Anonymousreply 223November 18, 2020 1:51 AM

Not a pronunciation but a word -- what does "shtook" mean?

by Anonymousreply 224November 18, 2020 2:04 AM

shtup?

by Anonymousreply 225November 18, 2020 2:08 AM

in trouble or in a difficult situation : You'll be in shtook if you carry on like that. (Cambridge English Dictionary)

by Anonymousreply 226November 18, 2020 2:15 AM

I have a question about "Having a curry". Do you use this to include ANY Indian/Pakistani dish? If you have biryani and tandoori chicken is it still called having a curry? What about Thai? In US we would say we had Indian food or Thai food, though they both offer curries.

I've been watching a lot of Britbox. I assumed that I would figure out by example but it hasn't happened yet.

by Anonymousreply 227November 18, 2020 2:25 AM

Is Moscow Mitch and his KKK coven finally gettin' skeerd?

Sen. Mitch McConnell, joined by other GOP Senate leaders, continues to express opposition to President Donald Trump drawdown plans in Afghanistan and Iraq. (Nov. 17)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228November 18, 2020 2:51 AM

Dammit - can't keep my threads straight - time for bed grampa

by Anonymousreply 229November 18, 2020 2:53 AM

AL YOU MINI UM - it is ALOO MIN UM...

by Anonymousreply 230November 18, 2020 3:06 AM

I have been watching quite a bit of British as well as Australian tv since COVID and just find the different pronunciations and phrases interesting. We diverged and even in the US there is a big difference in accents/pronunciations (warsh instead of wash, for instance). Growing up in Southern California and living for over 10 years in Upstate NY, i'd have a hard time completely catching all of a, say, New Orleans (or as they say, N'Awlins) accent. Just appreciate diversity.

And understand that if they say in London they knocked you up, it probably doesn't mean what you may think it means.

by Anonymousreply 231November 18, 2020 3:41 AM

Not pronunciation but usage:

"Stiffy" is British slang for a formal, printed or hand-written invitation - one printed on stiff paper - to an event or party. Among other things...

So imagine my surprise when a British friend told me her three-year-old son got his first "stiffy."

To another kid's birthday party.

by Anonymousreply 232November 18, 2020 2:30 PM

I love the how the Brits pronounce mayor with one syllable, so that it sounds like mare.

by Anonymousreply 233November 19, 2020 11:51 AM

So would "in shtook" be considered standard English? I mean would a newscaster or the Queen use it?

by Anonymousreply 234November 19, 2020 5:20 PM

R233 Mayor is Latin in Origin - Pronounced 'Maior'

It then moved on to Old French in the form of 'Maire'

It hit Middle English and the spelling changed to Mayor, but the pronunciation as 'Mare' stayed pretty much the same.

It's the US that is incorrect in this case The English shouldn't have altered the spelling as it seems to make it confusing for Americans.

by Anonymousreply 235November 19, 2020 5:59 PM

'The Mayor of Casterbridge' by Thomas Hardy read aloud in a US classroom would probably sound eye wateringly funny to Brits.

by Anonymousreply 236November 19, 2020 6:14 PM

Glacier. Brits pronounce it GLASSIER.

by Anonymousreply 237November 19, 2020 6:19 PM

And "geyser" as GEEZER. Which means something completely different (although I don't know if that is in common usage in the UK.)

by Anonymousreply 238November 19, 2020 6:37 PM

R237 Possibly because it is a word borrowed from French 'Glace' (pron ɡlæseɪ)

by Anonymousreply 239November 19, 2020 6:42 PM

Regina

by Anonymousreply 240November 19, 2020 7:03 PM

R238 "Geezer" is used in Britain (especially Cockney), and it just means "guy" or "bloke." .. I think in America, it usually refers to some really old guy, but that's not specific to the British use where it can be applied to any adult male, much like "dude" or "bro."

by Anonymousreply 241November 19, 2020 7:09 PM

r32 Ibitha is the correct pronountiation of Ibiza in Spanish from Spain.

by Anonymousreply 242November 19, 2020 7:14 PM

None of those which were polled, OP, you diree SLAT! 😂

by Anonymousreply 243November 19, 2020 7:18 PM

r238 r241 Geyser, pronounced "geezer", is what Brits call erupting hot springs and hot water heaters.

by Anonymousreply 244November 19, 2020 8:09 PM

But Americans pronounce it GUY-zer.

by Anonymousreply 245November 19, 2020 8:12 PM

What I can't get over is the differences in "fanny."

by Anonymousreply 246November 20, 2020 3:28 AM

Vivian Vance

The "I" isn't long you fucking limey buggers.

by Anonymousreply 247November 20, 2020 4:09 AM

Brits are dumb. Fuck their accents!

by Anonymousreply 248November 20, 2020 4:10 AM

They use the word "jab" for an injection - where we use "shot"

I guess they're both pretty aggressive words, but 'jab' always makes me cringe more. Not used to it.

by Anonymousreply 249November 20, 2020 10:14 PM

R247 - are you saying that for the name Vivian, they use a long "i"? Like Vie-vee-yen? How have I missed that all these years?

And didn't Oscar Wilde name one of his sons Vyvyan?

by Anonymousreply 250November 20, 2020 10:15 PM

I mostly enjoy the differences in British pronunciation, but there’s one example that always weirds me out. Anytime there’s a mention on the BBC of Tony Blair, it always sounds to me like the news reader is vomiting (“...and former Prime Minister Tony Blaaaaaaa”).

by Anonymousreply 251November 20, 2020 11:42 PM

British English, as Spanish from Spain, sound more elegant and classy.

by Anonymousreply 252November 21, 2020 8:07 AM

R246 Michael J Fox said 'fanny' live on air on BBC Breakfast yesterday. Obviously he meant it to refer to his bum, but it caused a bit of laughter here. He must have been the only person in history to have used that word on British TV at that time of day.

by Anonymousreply 253November 21, 2020 8:21 AM

"British English, as Spanish from Spain, sound more elegant and classy."

Not when you put it that way, dear...

by Anonymousreply 254November 21, 2020 11:13 AM

I’m Australian and use both the American and British pronunciations of most of these words equally, at random I suppose. Which I think is best practice. Sorry losers. Also please don’t come here

by Anonymousreply 255November 23, 2020 2:37 PM

r255 But I'll bet you use the British spellings.

by Anonymousreply 256November 23, 2020 4:58 PM

Teck-wee-lah for tequila, empanyad-us for empanadas. Not English but still...

by Anonymousreply 257November 23, 2020 5:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!