Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

David Hogg backs down after tweeting against violence

David Hogg

Young people can stage a nonviolent political revolution over the coming decade but it will require all of us voting in consistently high # EVERY election, protesting, organizing and running for office and most importantly the persistence, love and community to overcome setbacks

-----------------

David Hogg

The use of violence to acquire political power is deeply rooted in imperialism, capitalism and white supremacy I personally refuse to believe that the use of this same violence will ever create nonviolent systems of government that represent and support everyone.

--------------------

I appreciate those that have called me out and let me know how this tweet was offensive and I am welcome to continuing to learn. Many are understandably upset and offended and I have have to do my part in admitting to mistakes when I make them and supporting my friends.

David Hogg

This is directed specifically at the young white people I see arming themselves or wanting to so they can go and loot and act in antagonistic ways against the state trying to use allyship as a cover.

---------------

David Hogg

Let me be clear what I am NOT trying to do is tell BIPOC people how they should react to violence directed at them by the state.

It’s not my place or any white persons to direct or criticize the way BIPOC people choose to defend themselves against this violence from the state.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 30, 2020 11:54 AM

You weren't ugly then..

by Anonymousreply 1September 30, 2020 12:52 AM

Isn't it 15 minutes over already?

Even that bald Mexican Dyke is more interesting

by Anonymousreply 2September 30, 2020 1:27 AM

All he has left is to show a dick shot. otherwise he's done. He was right in what he said ,apologizing shows his true character. He doesnt have the courage of his convictions.

by Anonymousreply 3September 30, 2020 1:43 AM

I don’t really understand what I just read

by Anonymousreply 4September 30, 2020 2:11 AM

[quote] The use of violence to acquire political power is deeply rooted in imperialism, capitalism and white supremacy

I would have simply declared it primitive.

by Anonymousreply 5September 30, 2020 2:15 AM

He's saying it's okay for POC to behave violently to achieve their political goals, but not white people.

by Anonymousreply 6September 30, 2020 2:20 AM

No, he is saying that telling POC how to feel about and how to respond to attacks on them is not his place. Not quite the same thing, R6.

In today's culture, even Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. would be called out for saying protest must be peaceful. I'm not saying Hogg=King, just that what may seem like a universal message of non-violence isn't as universally accepted as it once was, and Hogg is trying to show that he has been called out for that, and is trying to adapt. Basically, he's telling himself to shut up and not speak for others.

by Anonymousreply 7September 30, 2020 2:48 AM

R7 King declared his legacy of non-violence had been a failure and conceded that the majority of white Americans were indeed racist to a confidant a year before his assassination. The fictional image of black people politely asking for their freedom or having it benevolently granted to them by a white man during the civil war is a pervasive myth expressed with the aim of halting civil rights for black people or at white people's own pace and discretion.

Slavery ended because from the second slaves were hauled into ships there were widescale rebellions. Plantantions burned. Abolitionists recruited and documented the slave experience.

by Anonymousreply 8September 30, 2020 3:19 AM

Liberals support violence. We been knew

by Anonymousreply 9September 30, 2020 3:21 AM

R9 Go back to Breitbart for your daily dose of indoctrination and deceit. Meanwhile-- in this reality-- year after year, study after study, government agency after government agency reiterates that the far right commit exponentially more violence than the statistically negligible amount committed by left wing extremists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 30, 2020 3:26 AM

Does he have an OnlyFans account yet? I hope so.

by Anonymousreply 11September 30, 2020 3:54 AM

[quote]I don’t really understand what I just read

That's because OP doesn't know how to actually write a post.

David Hogg said he didn't think violent protests for civil rights et al. achieved anything positive. The people who feel only violence will get the kind of attention necessary to cause change called him out on it. He responded.

I know no one here knows jack shit about history but it's the same arguments being had during the civil rights movements of the 1960s and 1970s, nonviolence versus agitating.

by Anonymousreply 12September 30, 2020 3:58 AM

Who cares what David Hogg thinks?

by Anonymousreply 13September 30, 2020 3:59 AM

His activism got him into Harvard. Maybe it's time for him to pack it in until he grows up a little, forms a coherent worldview, and grows the spine necessary to defend that worldview.

Being anti-violence is not a bad position to take and is consistent with his activism up to this point. He should have told his detractors to pound sand.

by Anonymousreply 14September 30, 2020 4:15 AM

I'd still fuck him. I bet he's wild in bed.

by Anonymousreply 15September 30, 2020 6:05 AM

r14 At least he can attend Harvard while still keeping his dick intact.

by Anonymousreply 16September 30, 2020 6:57 AM

Oh Camera Hogg, your 15 minutes are over! It is all about the Quaranteens now, baby!

by Anonymousreply 17September 30, 2020 7:03 AM

[quote]Being anti-violence is not a bad position to take and is consistent with his activism up to this point.

That might be consistent with his activism but he can't make broad statements telling other people how to feel or behave when he isn't remotely in that same situation.

He can only really speak for himself.

If he had more life experience he would have known to be careful about how he expresses his opinions.

by Anonymousreply 18September 30, 2020 7:11 AM

Bet a lot of poc would beat him and say shut the fuck up batch You ain't talking for us

by Anonymousreply 19September 30, 2020 8:07 AM

[quote]Being anti-violence is not a bad position to take

You don't say.

by Anonymousreply 20September 30, 2020 8:50 AM

Oh, boy, is this thread going to be catnip for the DL racists and rightwing divisiveness trolls.

All it needs is an added story where a transgender kid tweets something about 'cultural appropriation'.

It would be like an orgasmic explosion of aging-white-gay-guy-complaining whipped into a nuclear frenzy by the foreign disinformation trolls.

The wailing and gnashing of teeth would be cacophonous. The woke! Millenials! Triggered! Safe spaces! Snowflakes! Something something some university professor taught somewhere! Transcult! Mary! Mary!

by Anonymousreply 21September 30, 2020 9:07 AM

Go back to bed R21.

by Anonymousreply 22September 30, 2020 9:11 AM

R22

Only if you tuck me in and read me a story, Daddy!

:D

by Anonymousreply 23September 30, 2020 9:13 AM

So tired of people immediately backing down, apologizing, and vowing to "do better" after one of their statements meets with blowback.

If your convictions are so incredibly shaky, just keep your thoughts to yourself rather than broadcasting them.

by Anonymousreply 24September 30, 2020 9:58 AM

David needs to start an OnlyFans.

by Anonymousreply 25September 30, 2020 10:12 AM

Oh no, the kid is being CANCELLED already!

by Anonymousreply 26September 30, 2020 10:21 AM

No mention of TRANS people?!

Cancel this transphobic POS!!

by Anonymousreply 27September 30, 2020 10:37 AM

Live by the woke; die by the woke.

by Anonymousreply 28September 30, 2020 10:56 AM

[quote] He can only really speak for himself.

Where does his Twitter account say that he speaks for, say, everybody else? He shared his opinion and some disagreed with his opinion.

by Anonymousreply 29September 30, 2020 11:41 AM

His message is confusing. If he really wants to make a name for himself, he should get engaged to Demi Lovato.

by Anonymousreply 30September 30, 2020 11:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!