Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Withnail and I?

I am still not sure how I feel about this one. Definitely full of quotable dialogue. Curious as to how others see it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 30, 2020 5:18 PM

I haven’t seen this since it was originally released and don’t remember it well...now I am curious!

by Anonymousreply 1September 30, 2020 12:13 AM

R1 - the new clueless cunt of the DL, leaving a snail trail behind her everywhere she drags that ass.

by Anonymousreply 2September 30, 2020 12:33 AM

R2 types off meds.

by Anonymousreply 3September 30, 2020 12:59 AM

That movie was on the level of a 1920s Keystone Cops slapstick movie with the repellently grotesque homosexual character lusting over the gorgeous young man.

by Anonymousreply 4September 30, 2020 1:26 AM

Not only lusting, he cornered him and disrobed and threatened rape....

by Anonymousreply 5September 30, 2020 1:33 AM

This is one of my favourite films.

Uncle Monty is a buffoon, but you know what? Some gays act like that. It's not homophobic to create a character that is gay and is a predator (although Withnail had told Monty that 'I' is gay in order to get the key to the country house).

by Anonymousreply 6September 30, 2020 1:36 AM

How dare you tell him I'm a toilet trader!?

by Anonymousreply 7September 30, 2020 1:39 AM

For years I’ve heard how hilarious and great this movie was. I finally watched it last week (thank you HBO Max) and I was surprised how meh I found it. It’s well acted and there are a few good scenes, but I don’t really understand the cult around it.

by Anonymousreply 8September 30, 2020 1:39 AM

The whole situation was SO contrived. Uncle Monty never showed an erect penis capable of 'rape'.

And I take offence that the buffoonish Uncle Monty was supposedly inspired by the aesthetic Franco Zeffirelli.

by Anonymousreply 9September 30, 2020 1:42 AM

It's been a million years since I saw it, but my impression was that this was about letting go of an alcoholic friend you've had forever and moving on to the next stage of your life.

by Anonymousreply 10September 30, 2020 1:45 AM

I guess the director Bruce Robinson (at left) was pretty back in the Zeffirelli days but now he looks as ragged as Charlotte Rampling—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 30, 2020 1:54 AM

Monty spread his robe, I's eyes went wide, did you want to see the weenie?

by Anonymousreply 12September 30, 2020 1:54 AM

Yes, R10, but I think there's not a little sexual tension between Withnail and I. That's the part that nobody talks much about.

by Anonymousreply 13September 30, 2020 1:56 AM

I suppose it's OK that it set Richard E Grant on to a career but he always seemed a bit too eye-poppingly Edward Everett Horton and effeminate to play heterosexuals for so long.

by Anonymousreply 14September 30, 2020 1:59 AM

Jeez R11, Charlotte is in her 70s (and has about as good of a figure as can be expected at that age).

by Anonymousreply 15September 30, 2020 2:16 AM

I love this movie. You either 'get' English humor or you don't.

by Anonymousreply 16September 30, 2020 2:39 AM

R16 What's English about it? Are you comparing it to the 'Carry Ons'? Tommy Trinder or Arthur Askey?

It seems almost identical to the American Screwball movies and 'Some Like It Hot' to me.

by Anonymousreply 17September 30, 2020 2:45 AM

Geeky film school boys think this movie is the second coming of Citizen Kane. Cf. Their thoughts on Quentin Tarantino.

by Anonymousreply 18September 30, 2020 3:41 AM

This is one of my favorite movies. It really captures the end of the idealistic 60s perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 19September 30, 2020 3:44 AM

You are a little out of touch, R18, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 20September 30, 2020 11:08 AM

The way I understand it, W and I is a cult movie for British undergrads. I don't think it's on the radar at film school, and I can't imagine that Tarantino has been taken seriously there either, not recently anyway. He's turned out nothing but twaddle since Jackie Brown.

by Anonymousreply 21September 30, 2020 11:31 AM

My exact point r21. And yes r20 I meant older film school grad types think this is the best movie ever made. It’s a tiny group, but they’re vocal.

by Anonymousreply 22September 30, 2020 5:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!