Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends, Pierce Brosnan seeks $100 million for dramatic Malibu compound

“James Bond” star Pierce Brosnan is shooting for nine figures in Malibu, where his Thai-inspired retreat on Broad Beach just hit the market for $100 million.

The mammoth price tag makes it the eighth-priciest home currently on the market in L.A. County. If it sells for anywhere close to $100 million, it’ll mark a massive return on investment for the Irish-American actor; records show he compiled the compound in 2000, buying one lot for $5.1 million and another for $2.25 million.

The oceanfront retreat spans more than an acre with two homes that combine for five bedrooms and 14 bathrooms. Past a pair of carved teak gates, the verdant grounds are filled with palm trees, tropical flowers, travertine courtyards and wraparound lanais.

Known as Orchid House, the main home boasts interiors lined with glass and teak that take in commanding ocean and mountain views. On the main level, there’s a great room and a kitchen with white crystal counters. Amenities on the lower level include a theater with tiered seating and a music room/recording studio. The spa adds two saunas, a steam room, Japanese soaking tub, cold plunge and shower.

The second story tacks on a library, a balcony overlooking the courtyard and an owner’s suite with a sitting area and expansive deck.

Sandy lounges and glass-enclosed dining areas dot the backyard, which centers on a saltwater pool and descends to 117 feet of beach. The two-story guesthouse also serves as a pool house with a bar.

Brosnan and his wife, activist and journalist Keely Brosnan, have put the property up for rent multiple times during their stay, once listing it for $120,000 per month back in 2004.

Brosnan, 67, starred in four James Bond films from 1995 to 2002: “GoldenEye,” “Tomorrow Never Dies,” “The World Is Not Enough” and “Die Another Day.” His other credits include “Dante’s Peak,” “The November Man,” “The Matador” and “Nancy Astor,” the latter two of which earned him Golden Globe nominations.

Last year, the couple paid $2.945 million for a humbler single-story home in Santa Monica, The Times previously reported.

Chris Cortazzo of Compass holds the listing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59September 30, 2020 10:06 PM

Nice, but not $100 million nice.

Why are celebs so greedy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 28, 2020 10:51 PM

There's not even a decent beach in front.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 28, 2020 10:52 PM

The lot looks quite cramped, too.

So many home squished together in such a small space.

One hundred million? Pfft.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 28, 2020 10:53 PM

OPs makes me wonder if the price is for the house or the actor? Why list the current owner's movie credentials? Is that really worth the price of the actual house?

by Anonymousreply 4September 28, 2020 10:54 PM

He was pretty but not $100 million pretty.

by Anonymousreply 5September 28, 2020 10:55 PM

Nouveau riche look big movie star house!

by Anonymousreply 6September 28, 2020 10:55 PM

For 100M, I'd need acres.

by Anonymousreply 7September 28, 2020 10:55 PM

The lot is basically a shoe box with your neighbors watching your every move and shag in the swimming pool.

by Anonymousreply 8September 28, 2020 10:59 PM

What is that weird addition to the left, in R1's photo?

There's this brown house in the middle, with a very specific style.

And then there's this white monstrosity connected to it, like some sort of growth.

Who in the hell designed this crap?

Or is that the neighbor's house, literally RIGHT UP NEXT to Pierce's house?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 28, 2020 11:00 PM

Let me just organise another loan through my Private Banker.

by Anonymousreply 10September 28, 2020 11:01 PM

Even for Malibu standards this is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 11September 28, 2020 11:03 PM

The pool is nice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 28, 2020 11:06 PM

It sort of looks like a Thai resort.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 28, 2020 11:07 PM

What an odd looking family.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 28, 2020 11:09 PM

$100 million and one big Malibu fire and whooosh.

by Anonymousreply 15September 28, 2020 11:10 PM

The view is quite nice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 28, 2020 11:10 PM

OMG I've always wanted to see this!!!! The first thing I notice is the elevation, it's perfect. With a lot of the houses on this street you can't really see the water on the first floor. I love the width of the lot and the fact that it has one of the few if only backyard pools on the street. The kitchen seems a little cramped, but that's just from what can be seen.

I think part of it was rebuilt after a fire a few years back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 28, 2020 11:10 PM

What exactly about this house, makes it worth $100 million?

So now everyone else on that stretch of beach is going to ask for $80-$120 million now?

The greed of these already wealthy people is just astounding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 28, 2020 11:12 PM

I don't deny anyone to live the life they want, but it's pretty tacky to sell something that's ridiculously overpriced given the lives of people who are trying to survive right now.

by Anonymousreply 19September 28, 2020 11:12 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 28, 2020 11:12 PM

Looks to me like he's expecting to make the sale from the money laundering segment of the real estate market.

by Anonymousreply 21September 28, 2020 11:15 PM

I agree, R19, and the fact that he’s described as an activist just makes it more galling. You cannot be an activist of anything if you’re living in or selling your multimillion dollar homes. All these fucking celebs and their performative environmentalist and humanitarian bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 22September 28, 2020 11:16 PM

[quote]I hope that the new buyer enjoys being THISCLOSE to their neighbor.

You could see their brown starfish winking at you.

by Anonymousreply 23September 28, 2020 11:16 PM

Forget fire. You can rebuild. There used to be a beach in front of that house. How long before the ocean is up to the highway? Oceanfront property is quite a gamble. No place for serious money.

by Anonymousreply 24September 28, 2020 11:20 PM

R14 what is that giant on the left!?

by Anonymousreply 25September 28, 2020 11:20 PM

Pierce is a bit of a brand ambassador whore. It was his Bond that introduced product placements in the movies.

[quote] Omega jumped at the opportunity with James Bond that Rolex apparently did not, and Pierce Bronsnan seemed to also get it. As you can see in the two photos below, Pierce also modeled watches for Omega that had nothing to do with James Bond like the Omega Constellation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 28, 2020 11:25 PM

R25 Didn't you know that Pierce is actually a 'little person' or what we'd call a leprechaun back in the old country. His movies are all CGI, editing, clever camera work and shoe lifts like they do with Tom Cruise.

by Anonymousreply 27September 28, 2020 11:28 PM

[quote]What exactly about this house, makes it worth $100 million?

It's worth $100 million if someone decides they're willing to pay that much for it. I doubt they'll get any takers.

by Anonymousreply 28September 28, 2020 11:29 PM

“James Bond” star Pierce Brosnan is shooting for nine figures...”

I’m looking for some double 0, double 0, double 0, double 0 heaven.

by Anonymousreply 29September 28, 2020 11:38 PM

R22 They are for sure going to be making an enormous profit, considering how long ago they bought the lot. I am curious to see what they do with the money. For all we know, the Brosnans will be donating a huge portion of the sale of the home to charities. We don't know.

by Anonymousreply 30September 28, 2020 11:42 PM

They'll also be "donating" a huge amount to the US Treasury.

by Anonymousreply 31September 28, 2020 11:52 PM

The value is in the land and the price is a pipe dream. This house is on the same amount of land, for $42 million. Carrol O'Connor's house is also on the same size lot, and its a teardown at $28 million.

You could bulldoze the $42 million house from 2004 and rebuild whatever you'd like and still come out at $60 million.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 29, 2020 12:00 AM

These are all on the same little street***

by Anonymousreply 33September 29, 2020 12:01 AM

Whenever I'm in LA and I'm zipping around Malibu, I'm always stunned by how unappealing and busy PCH seems like it would be to live on. Everything is all crammed together, and you are on a literal highway. I could never.

by Anonymousreply 34September 29, 2020 12:04 AM

The lot he has is pretty big for malibu. Also, you have a huge private beach. Most people have poured cement over the sand. It is a lot of money, but he knows his compound is better.

People are selling. I think the high end market is going to drop.

by Anonymousreply 35September 29, 2020 12:12 AM

The price is just vulgar when everybody knows for how much he bought it years ago. I think he'd have better chances with a more reasonable asking price that still allows the buyer to haggle a bit. But then I can imagine someone buying it for 75 million and thinking that he haggled with James Bond and got the price lowered for quite a bit and see it as some personal victory.

by Anonymousreply 36September 29, 2020 12:18 AM

The beach is set to be restored, in due time. It's been in the works over a decade. I love this saga. It's always about to happen.

[quote]It’s been a decade-long haul for the 123 property owners on Malibu’s Broad Beach Road, as they have struggled to save their houses from the ocean. When the once broad beach (giving the street its name) dwindled to almost nothing, an emergency rock revetment, or wall, was put up in front of 78 of the homes back in 2010 to save them from destructive wave action during storms. Shortly after, a neighborhood Geological Hazard Abatement District (GHAD) was formed with the power to assess properties and collect funds to fix the problem. The goal was to bring in tons of sand from somewhere else to restore the beach and serve as a protective barrier.

[quote]Unfortunately, no one realized that what sounded like a simple, straightforward project at the time would end up costing about $25 million (and counting) before any sand ever made it to the beach.

[quote]“It’s a stunning mess,” said one property owner who asked to remain anonymous. “The millions they’ve spent doing everything but putting sand on the beach ... If you own 50 feet of beachfront, you’re paying an assessment of about $70,000 per year. Some owners have 150 feet of beachfront. Some people have had to sell their homes because they couldn’t afford the assessments.

[quote]“The assessment went from $440/foot of beachfront to $1,600/foot of beachfront over five years,” Scapa said. “The GHAD has spent $11 million in legal fees and $8 million in engineering fees so far.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 29, 2020 12:25 AM

Not bad for a boy from Drogheda. $100M is clearly not going to happen, I would think this ask was a very successful tactic to get the property into the LA Times, WSJ, Mansion Global, and hence exposed internationally. Very smart marketing move.

by Anonymousreply 38September 29, 2020 12:31 AM

R35 - it is NOT a private beach. There are no private beaches in California - it's all public property DESPITE what owners try to do to scare people off.

There are a lot of unauthorized signs in Malibu re: parking and beach access to deter people from going there. All illegal.

by Anonymousreply 39September 29, 2020 12:33 AM

Holy shit. 100 Mill AND the beach front drama at r37? Hard pass (not that it was ever an option).

by Anonymousreply 40September 29, 2020 12:38 AM

That is some major mismanagement and fuck-upery at R37.

What kind of idiots are in charge of that project?

As for Pierce's house, I find it tacky. Any house with a "theme" is just tacky.

by Anonymousreply 41September 29, 2020 2:31 AM

he is delusional. the pacific is filled with radiation from Japan.

And he doesn't realize that future owners will not need 90M to feed whale-wife Keeley.

by Anonymousreply 42September 29, 2020 4:07 AM

The place looks like an upscale hotel, with a restaurant overlooking the ocean and the most expensive suites above it. A very nice, tasteful, comfortable, extremely expensive hotel, to be sure, but the generic decor sure as hell doesnt look like a home.

by Anonymousreply 43September 29, 2020 5:06 AM

Am very familiar with that area.

The beach is eroding as we speak. PCH is close by and FULL of traffic.

Not in a 100 million years would I ever consider that worth $100 mill.

He’s out of his mind.

by Anonymousreply 44September 29, 2020 5:17 AM

It sickens me. Overpaid and ostentatious . He and his fat wife can fuck off and die

by Anonymousreply 45September 29, 2020 5:26 AM

I need to see more pics of the interior. It does have a bit of an enchanted tiki room vibe.

by Anonymousreply 46September 29, 2020 6:06 AM

The interior and gardens at R32's post are . . . something else.

by Anonymousreply 47September 29, 2020 6:25 AM

r43 Nailed it.

It looks like a resort - one squeezed in among others. I have never understood why people with large homes decorate in the style of hotels, it is beyond tacky. Especially if it has a theme - like Italian villa or something equally hideous.

by Anonymousreply 48September 29, 2020 6:42 AM

The land is everything. To have an acre on land on the beach in prime Malibu is worth a lot. If someone is willing to pay it, then that's what the house is worth. Agree, for 100M, that would not be what I would spend it on. I'm guessing around 60-75M which will still be a record breaker.

by Anonymousreply 49September 29, 2020 6:53 AM

I'd like to see what you are living in, Marie @ R48

by Anonymousreply 50September 29, 2020 6:53 AM

Just a regular home, nothing special - not an Italian palazzo, a Spanish mission, a dacha nor a South Pacific hut.

by Anonymousreply 51September 29, 2020 7:25 AM

These tacky people are ruining LA.

by Anonymousreply 52September 29, 2020 10:28 AM

Disgusting greed.

by Anonymousreply 53September 29, 2020 2:06 PM

I guess the floors have been reinforced for that wife.

by Anonymousreply 54September 29, 2020 2:10 PM

[quote]Forget fire. You can rebuild.

Well smell you.

by Anonymousreply 55September 29, 2020 4:24 PM

Maybe some social climbing daughter of a billionaire will fork out something like the asking price. Isnt that how the Spelling monstrosity finally sold?

by Anonymousreply 56September 30, 2020 4:48 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57September 30, 2020 5:16 AM

How many good storms is it away from being worth $100,000?

by Anonymousreply 58September 30, 2020 5:51 AM

How can I book a room at this hotel?

by Anonymousreply 59September 30, 2020 10:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!