Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Can falling down the stairs really kill you?

I get it if you're old and have withered bones and such, but if you're young and supple, and the stairs are in your home (not some concrete office stairwell stairs), how bad can they hurt you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106September 30, 2020 7:36 PM

Well, you could easily break your neck, for starters.

by Anonymousreply 1September 27, 2020 5:24 PM

You’re not young and supple, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2September 27, 2020 5:25 PM

It doesn't work with toddlers.

I hear.

by Anonymousreply 3September 27, 2020 5:26 PM

They're great for dealing with unwanted pregnancies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 27, 2020 5:30 PM

What exactly are you planning, OP?

by Anonymousreply 5September 27, 2020 5:31 PM

No, but they can teach your gf a lesson.

by Anonymousreply 6September 27, 2020 5:34 PM

Well, that depends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 27, 2020 5:36 PM

A friend fell down his basement stairs and broke his neck. Took him 3 days to die in hospital. Not recommended, OP.

by Anonymousreply 8September 27, 2020 5:36 PM

My favorite cousin fell down the stairs, broke her neck and died. She was 62 and had just retired. I still think of her every day.

by Anonymousreply 9September 27, 2020 5:38 PM

It all depends upon what you hit on the way down, and how you land. Yes, you can die falling down the stairs.

I am convinced that stairs are the number one weapon that cats use to murder humans. Oops, cat trips you and the stairs, down you go, and one more down in the feline plot to take over the world.

I would like a study done to determine how what percentage of deaths/injury caused by tumbles down the stairs occur in home with cats.

by Anonymousreply 10September 27, 2020 5:40 PM

Aside from breaking your neck, it's more likely that you can rupture a major blood vessel and bleed out internally. It could happen in your brain, you'll slowly bleed out and lose consciousness, same as a hemorrhagic stroke.

by Anonymousreply 11September 27, 2020 5:42 PM

In a SCOTUS nominee’s home, yes it can.

by Anonymousreply 12September 27, 2020 5:48 PM

I think we need a carefully controlled study on this matter. May I suggest we use the people's White House as the laboratory and the so-called POTUS, spawn and purchased wives as the subject group?

by Anonymousreply 13September 27, 2020 6:01 PM

Maybe OP was sent for a tumble down the stairs as an infant. Impaired cognitive function is common after a traumatic brain injury.

by Anonymousreply 14September 27, 2020 6:02 PM

Not if you drink the potion 🧪

by Anonymousreply 15September 27, 2020 6:04 PM

The mother of a girl I knew in high school fell down the stairs in her home. She hit her head and was comatose for about a week, then died (or was possibly taken off life support - I didn't want to ask.) Yes it can happen.

by Anonymousreply 16September 27, 2020 6:06 PM

My grandfather at 82 got knocked down the steps by a 35-year-old woman he brought home from a bar when she opened his apartment door.

Fractured skull, dead in 15 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 17September 27, 2020 6:07 PM

R9 Oh, I’m so sorry. What a tragic end.

by Anonymousreply 18September 27, 2020 6:11 PM

no

by Anonymousreply 19September 27, 2020 6:11 PM

[quote] My grandfather at 82 got knocked down the steps by a 35-year-old woman he brought home from a bar when she opened his apartment door.

That’s not what really happened to Granpops. We just wanted to protect your delicate sensibilities.

by Anonymousreply 20September 27, 2020 6:14 PM

Don’t be daft OP, of course it can.

And you should probably stay away from stairs, in general.

by Anonymousreply 21September 27, 2020 6:14 PM

I was in my mid-50s when it happened, but I got up in the middle of the night to get a drink of water. Missed the first step on the way down,, fell on my back and then fell to the bottom of the stars. My sister, who was visiting at the time, thought it was hilarious.

If this had happened 20 years later, I'd probably be dead

by Anonymousreply 22September 27, 2020 6:21 PM

That was such a stunning performance from Gene, r4.

by Anonymousreply 23September 27, 2020 6:22 PM

The guy in the OP pic had a great ass, but he couldn't live forever.

by Anonymousreply 24September 27, 2020 6:23 PM

[quote=That was such a stunning performance from Gene

You should have seen what she did to me.

by Anonymousreply 25September 27, 2020 6:24 PM

Famous people who died from falling down stairs: Gary Coleman, Laura Ashley, Sandy Denny

by Anonymousreply 26September 27, 2020 6:27 PM

I've been pushed down stairs 28 times and I'm fine

by Anonymousreply 27September 27, 2020 6:29 PM

Are we talking fall or...push?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 27, 2020 6:33 PM

My mother fell down the stairs going to her basement while doing laundry in February- thankfully didn’t die but broke her hip so badly she’s needed two surgeries to fix it (possibly a third). The pain she feels is near constant without icing and pain meds.

by Anonymousreply 29September 27, 2020 6:36 PM

These things happen.

by Anonymousreply 30September 27, 2020 6:46 PM

Than you, R24! Started scrolling and was wondering why it took so long for someone to add that comment.

by Anonymousreply 31September 27, 2020 6:48 PM

Interesting idea. How doo I make the staircase attack the man?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 27, 2020 6:50 PM

David Niven's 28-year old wife, Primmie, fell down the stairs leading to the cellar in Tyrone Power and wife Annabella's home while playing a game of "Sardines." Cesar Romero and Oleg Cassini, who was there with his wife Gene Tierney, carried Primmie upstairs, but she died the following night after surgery, with a fractured skull and brain lacerations. Also there that night in 1946 were Rex Harrison and Lili Palmer, and Richard Greene and Pat Medina.

by Anonymousreply 33September 27, 2020 6:54 PM

You'll only lose your job OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 27, 2020 7:02 PM

It makes you ask, r33, was that game of Sardines really worth it?

by Anonymousreply 35September 27, 2020 7:04 PM

I was at a friends home looking for a drink a water in the middle of the night. I too fell down the stairs by missing a step in the dark.

Hit the wood floor at the bottom. Ouch.

At 78 yo, working out daily really helped in slowing my fall along with the wood floor. Other than bruises nothing happened.

by Anonymousreply 36September 27, 2020 7:09 PM

I’m sorry officer, I wish I could help, but I never saw the man. I just heard “Move it along, toots,” felt a shove and the next thing I knew I was in the ambulance. He had a lisp, if that helps. And I think I remember smelling lilacs.

by Anonymousreply 37September 27, 2020 7:17 PM

R35, the even sadder thing about Primmie is she had only arrived in America two months prior, ready to start life anew as Niven was anxious to resume his Hollywood movie career after his stint in British Army fighting the Nazis. She left a gilded life in England (she was the granddaughter of the 6th Marquess of Downshire) only to die playing a parlor game in LA.

by Anonymousreply 38September 27, 2020 7:22 PM

[quote] Famous people who died from falling down stairs: Gary Coleman,

He didn’t die by falling down stairs.

by Anonymousreply 39September 27, 2020 7:25 PM

Edna St Vincent Millay says yes.

by Anonymousreply 40September 27, 2020 7:28 PM

Yes, a friend fell downstairs while walking in his sleep. Died.

by Anonymousreply 41September 27, 2020 7:34 PM

What kind of moron would ask a stupid question like this? Bones break; breaking your spine leads to paralysis and/or death; also: breaking your skull is pretty bad too. This doesn't even address internal injuries, or breaking both legs in a remote/isolated location and starving to death before help finds you.

How dumb do you have to be to think falling down the stairs is like playing on the slide at the playground?

Also:

[quote]and the stairs are in your home (not some concrete office stairwell stairs),

Do you think everyone has the same stairs as you? Why do I picture wall to wall shag carpeting on your parents basement stairs when I type this?

by Anonymousreply 42September 27, 2020 7:38 PM

I love you, r42. I really do.

by Anonymousreply 43September 27, 2020 7:43 PM

Yes, but to have *two* wives die from a stair fall?

by Anonymousreply 44September 27, 2020 7:45 PM

It can stunt your growth.

by Anonymousreply 45September 27, 2020 7:53 PM

one story house!

by Anonymousreply 46September 27, 2020 7:57 PM

D. U. H.

by Anonymousreply 47September 27, 2020 8:02 PM

Well, r39. Gary Coleman was admitted to the hospital in critical condition after falling down the stairs possibly after having a seizure. He was conscious the next day but quickly deteriorated, was put on life support and died. Mind you this is from Wikipedia, I have no further information. It might not meet your criteria, but in my book that’s enough proximity from stair fall to death to add poor Gary to my list.

by Anonymousreply 48September 27, 2020 8:07 PM

R26, Edna St. Vincent Millay also died falling down the stairs

by Anonymousreply 49September 27, 2020 8:12 PM

Ralph Carney, the legendary saxophone player for Tom Waits, B-52's, Elvis Costello and many more, died falling down his stairs. I know someone in Portland, OR who was visiting with Ralph at his home just the evening before. Then we heard the news the next day.

Totally vital and alive one moment, and completely gone from this world the next.

by Anonymousreply 50September 27, 2020 8:17 PM

Miss Gene Tierney showed women how they could kill their unborn babies by purposely falling down stairs in LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN (45).

by Anonymousreply 51September 27, 2020 8:29 PM

Wow, feeling lucky. I heard my phone ring downstairs. Turns out it was the second job offer I was to receive that day, after extended dissatisfaction at my then-current position. I ran down the stairs, but fell midway and landed on my back. (Imagine your feet flipping upward in front of you.) I was about 32, and had a bruise on my back for about 4 weeks, then took the job of my dreams (at the time), and made a bunch of money. Never even considered I may have died until I read the posts above.

by Anonymousreply 52September 27, 2020 8:32 PM

You can die falling UP the stairs too.

by Anonymousreply 53September 27, 2020 8:37 PM

Irna Phillips hated the character of Liz Talbot on [italic]As the World Turns.[/italic] So in 1973, she memorably killed Liz by having Liz rupture her spleen falling [italic]up[/italic] the stairs. It has remained one of the more outlandish deaths in soap opera lore, even all these decades later.

by Anonymousreply 54September 27, 2020 8:40 PM

Whoa, R53, GMTA. Beat me to it by 4 minutes!

by Anonymousreply 55September 27, 2020 8:41 PM

On EastEnders, Ian Beale's third wife, Laura, died from a fall on stairs (she tripped over a child's toy).

by Anonymousreply 56September 27, 2020 8:42 PM

Has no one here ever heard of a hand rail?

by Anonymousreply 57September 27, 2020 8:44 PM

Or...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58September 27, 2020 8:46 PM

I have fainted couches strategically places at the end of stairs in case I become faint, like when I heard news Le Senatrice might be losing her election! I NEVER!

by Anonymousreply 59September 27, 2020 8:50 PM

I broke my shoulder falling down the stairs.

by Anonymousreply 60September 27, 2020 8:51 PM

I nearly died from a fall in my hallway, which didn't even involve stairs, so I've become especially wary around stairs since then. You might not have life-threatening injuries (I had a badly broken arm), but if you can't make it to a phone to call for help, and you're stuck without food, water, and your Rx drugs for several days, you really are facing a possibly fatal injury. If you're single, it's important that you have some kind of plan in place for injuries at home.

by Anonymousreply 61September 27, 2020 9:02 PM

Unfortunately, I'm the Fall King. I've lost track of how many falls I've taken on stairs since I was a kid. I should have been a stunt man. I've bruised my ribs and ended up with a herniated disc. My last bad fall was about a year ago when I got a huge lump on my forehead and the most decorative black eye I've ever seen. It looked like KISS makeup. I went skulking around wearing dark glasses for a long time when in public, but apparently it fooled nobody, because a bank clerk took one look at me and said "Wow! That's quite a bruise, isn't it?"

I was scolded severely by my partner, who thought I should have gone to emergency. He's probably right, but they might have thought that he was responsible for it

by Anonymousreply 62September 27, 2020 9:09 PM

"My name is Talky Tina and you better be nice to me"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 27, 2020 9:13 PM

If you fall make sure Carol Burnett is there to call a doctor for you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 27, 2020 9:16 PM

No, r48. Wikipedia is incorrect, at least according to all I've read about it. They even did an “Autopsy” episode on him.

He went down to the kitchen (not falling down the stairs) and fell in the kitchen for unknown reasons, striking his head on the kitchen floor. He was also on blood thinners which didn’t help in terms of bleeding. It’s suspected he had a stroke while standing in the kitchen. The whole stairs thing came into play when his ex-wife, with whom he was living (strange, huh?) refused to go downstairs and assist, claiming she couldn’t see blood or she would pass out. She told 911 he may have fallen down the stairs, but EMS found him in the kitchen, relatively far from the stairs.

by Anonymousreply 65September 27, 2020 9:16 PM

R62

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66September 27, 2020 9:19 PM

Actually, R42, you would die from dehydration after 3 or 4 days. A blessing, compared to the prolonged suffering from starvation.

That really was a thoughtless question, OP.

by Anonymousreply 67September 27, 2020 9:19 PM

Imagine 350 lbs of fatness rolling down the stairs, if it doesn't kill itself, it might just finish off someone else.

by Anonymousreply 68September 27, 2020 9:26 PM

I find myself tripping over the minor things or thinking I did things when I was young why can't I still do the same thing. I have caught myself from tripping. I once was coming up my cellar stairs carrying my laundry basket and missed a step and scraped the side of my arm on the cement wall.

by Anonymousreply 69September 27, 2020 9:31 PM

Now I have to find the full Talky Tina episode. That doll is the kind of bitch I like.

by Anonymousreply 70September 27, 2020 9:38 PM

My partner's cousin died from falling down the stairs, and he was young and fit. Maybe early 40's?

It was fast, but awful for those left behind.

by Anonymousreply 71September 27, 2020 9:38 PM

Are you planning an accident, OP? Want to see how believable it sounds?

by Anonymousreply 72September 27, 2020 9:39 PM

Did

she

fall,

or

was

she

pushed?

by Anonymousreply 73September 27, 2020 10:02 PM

Even the steps to the front porch can be deadly.

by Anonymousreply 74September 27, 2020 11:13 PM

Aghhhhhhhhh......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 27, 2020 11:18 PM

I found Al here at the bottom of these stairs. It was tragic, just tragic I tell you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76September 28, 2020 1:31 AM

Ask Jeffrey Hunter. Oh wait...

by Anonymousreply 77September 28, 2020 1:37 AM

Will it kill you,?

There's only one way to find out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78September 28, 2020 9:30 AM

Fritz Wunderlich, the greatest tenor of all times , died from falling down the stairs, a week before he was scheduled to debut at the Met. Pavarotti, the fat fuck, lived on to sing Nessun Dorms another 7000 times.

by Anonymousreply 79September 28, 2020 10:28 AM

Does anyone know what OP is plotting? OP, you aren't a scheming vixen from a soap opera are you?

by Anonymousreply 80September 28, 2020 1:17 PM

Justin survived.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81September 28, 2020 1:38 PM

Per R26, incomparable singer-songwriter / Fairport Convention member Sandy Denny. Back in the Seventies, age 36, I believe. "Tragic" doesn't begin to describe it.

by Anonymousreply 82September 28, 2020 1:56 PM

R79 Interesting to learn about Wunderlich. I heard this cause of death ascribed to the great Swedish tenor Jussi Bjorling (1911-1960) but Wikipedia states that Jussi died from an enlarged heart.

by Anonymousreply 83September 28, 2020 2:12 PM

Yes you can. Someone’s wife broke her neck and she only fell down three steps but landed very nasty and died two days later

by Anonymousreply 84September 28, 2020 2:35 PM

[quote] am convinced that stairs are the number one weapon that cats use to murder humans. Oops, cat trips you and the stairs, down you go, and one more down in the feline plot to take over the world.

R10 You are correct. As soon as I walk near the staircase, my old cat perches on the top step just waiting for me to start down. It's insane. I'm fortunate I both of my staircases have railings so I've learned to hold on to them when I'm walking down the stairs.

I had a favorite aunt who tripped over her golden retriever while going down the basement stairs. The coroner estimated she was dead for a couple days prior to being found at the bottom of the stairs. Ugh.

I guess our pets do 'love us to death.'

by Anonymousreply 85September 28, 2020 2:38 PM

How would anyone know your aunt tripped over her dog, r85?

by Anonymousreply 86September 28, 2020 3:16 PM

OP = Brad Pascale posting from the psyche ward

by Anonymousreply 87September 28, 2020 3:20 PM

Don’t worry, r80. I’m on to him.

by Anonymousreply 88September 28, 2020 3:34 PM

Don’t do it, OP.

I’ve seen enough Forensic Files to know they always catch you.

by Anonymousreply 89September 28, 2020 3:34 PM

You will probably do better if you are drunk because you will be all loose. I have done it twice. First time I was hammered and walked away with no problems. Second time I was not and kept trying to regain my footing. I think they call it careening. Ended up with a broken arm.

by Anonymousreply 90September 28, 2020 4:14 PM

Boy that’s a nice ass in OP’s picture. Who is he?

by Anonymousreply 91September 28, 2020 4:39 PM

[quote]Boy that’s a nice ass in OP’s picture. Who is he?

A model for stock photos, would be my guess.

by Anonymousreply 92September 28, 2020 4:43 PM

Well, wasn't Bette Davis' second husband killed from a fall downstairs?

Dysfunctional family story, my mother had gotten so crocked she fell, somersaulting down the stairs, naked, knocked over a painting and was totally fine. Well, as fine as someone who sleeps with Prinve Valium every night.

by Anonymousreply 93September 28, 2020 4:49 PM

Thank you all for your marvelous stories..... I promise to take them to heart should I ever find myself, or someone else, in such precarious situation....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94September 28, 2020 5:03 PM

Hmmm, I'd love to fall headfirst into OP pic dude's ass. 😋

by Anonymousreply 95September 28, 2020 10:48 PM

What goes up...must come down...

by Anonymousreply 96September 28, 2020 11:24 PM

They're taking their lives in their hands!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97September 29, 2020 1:59 AM

Bill O'Reilly knows how to throw you down the stairs without killing you. Especially if your daughter is watching.

by Anonymousreply 98September 29, 2020 1:59 AM

A few years ago, I met a stunt woman whose specialty is stair falls. It was fascinating to hear how she does it, plotting out which part of her body is going to hit each stair.

by Anonymousreply 99September 29, 2020 2:24 AM

That dude is to ass models what George Costanza was to hand models.

by Anonymousreply 100September 29, 2020 2:29 AM

Here's an interesting video about shooting the scene in the Exorcist where the priest jumps down out the window & falls down the steps.

The art of falling down steps is "zen", apparently...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101September 29, 2020 6:49 PM

[quote] That dude is to ass models what George Costanza was to hand models.

I used to be a hand model years ago. Work dried up though. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a hand job in this town?

by Anonymousreply 102September 30, 2020 12:36 PM

My friends dad died falling down the four steps from his front porch on to his driveway, hit his head on the concrete too hard.

by Anonymousreply 103September 30, 2020 7:22 PM

this shit drives her up the wall

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104September 30, 2020 7:22 PM

Oldie but goodie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105September 30, 2020 7:23 PM

We should ask Vairst Letty if she wants to try that experiment, as the pusher of course!

by Anonymousreply 106September 30, 2020 7:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!