Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What does Miss Marple get out of solving murders?

Hercule Poirot and Sherlock Holmes and Philip Marlowe all get paid to do it. as hired private investigators. But she gets no money at all.

Nosy old bat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 6, 2021 11:21 AM

Confirmation that she’s better than you.

by Anonymousreply 1September 26, 2020 4:46 AM

She did it for the fucks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 26, 2020 4:48 AM

Male pheromones to keep her poosy moist.

by Anonymousreply 3September 26, 2020 4:48 AM

whore

by Anonymousreply 4September 26, 2020 4:49 AM

"The Mystery of Miss Marple's Mussy"

by Anonymousreply 5September 26, 2020 5:10 AM

she gets to finger and blow the young lads of the show.....

angela lansbury was best marple ever!

by Anonymousreply 6September 26, 2020 5:28 AM

She gets to see all the naughty bits that her neighbors try to hide

by Anonymousreply 7September 26, 2020 5:38 AM

OP and R2 are both wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 26, 2020 5:55 AM

[quote] OP and R2 are both wrong.

This is what I think of you, R8:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 26, 2020 5:59 AM

Alibies - she framed them all to cover up her wicked shit.

by Anonymousreply 10September 26, 2020 6:02 AM

She fed the scenarios to her crime writer nephew and he got rich. He cut her a good slice of his money and kept her in a good house and all comforts. They had a good gig going on, these two.

by Anonymousreply 11September 26, 2020 6:08 AM

She had a structure moral code.

Sometimes it was personal.

Love her stories and wish there were more

by Anonymousreply 12February 27, 2021 7:38 PM

She was the first Karen.

by Anonymousreply 13February 27, 2021 7:59 PM

[quote] What does Miss Marple get out of solving murders?

She got pretty snappy theme music. I bet you don't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 27, 2021 8:01 PM

All the stories happened inside Jane Marple's head. She was an old, lonely woman who had built up an imaginary world where she got to be involved in other people's lives by solving their problems.

The sad, bitter truth was that she was alone and slowly going senile with no one to care for her or about her. Even her nephew was just a figment of her imagination.

by Anonymousreply 15February 27, 2021 8:05 PM

I don't think Poirot got paid did he? He just like Marple had a bunch of rich friends who kept getting murdered while he was staying with them. After which he would proceed to stay on as a guest for a week, eat their food, and snoop around a bit. Before gathering them all together and outing every relevant and irrelevant family secret before finally revealing it was cousin Rupert who did it. Then he'd catch a train to the next stately home.

by Anonymousreply 16February 27, 2021 8:11 PM

Purpose in her advanced years as a childless spinster.

by Anonymousreply 17February 27, 2021 9:24 PM

Trump’s ex wife solved murder mysteries?

by Anonymousreply 18February 27, 2021 9:41 PM

R18 = Dora Dumfucke, ingenue

by Anonymousreply 19February 27, 2021 10:51 PM

I think Poirot got a tingle in his pristine mussy - or "le bunghole", as he liked to say

Miss Marple did it for ration coupons - so she could have more sugar and butter than her neighbors

by Anonymousreply 20February 27, 2021 10:54 PM

Residuals

by Anonymousreply 21February 27, 2021 10:56 PM

Poirot definitely did get paid at least in some of the short stories. I remember it being mentioned a few times. How else was a penniless Belgian refugee going to afford to live in a plush flat in West London?

by Anonymousreply 22February 28, 2021 6:40 AM

R16 Poirot was a Private Detective and got paid (handsomely) for most of his work.

Certain cases where he was involved by accident instead of being hired, he likely received no payment (Murder On The Orient Express, Death On The Nile, Death In The Clouds, Cards On The Table, The Hollow etc).

Poirot could afford to refuse the huge money Ratchett offered him for his services in "Orient Express" as "I do not like your face". !

by Anonymousreply 23February 28, 2021 7:30 AM

In the earliest Marple stories, as well as having a powerful intellect and a mind like a mousetrap, she was - like all her neighbours - an interfering old bat with a nasty streak. The murders were happenstance, and she got involved because of her taste for gossip. It was only when the character proved popular, and the fans interpreted her as a Good Egg, that Christie relented and softened her more objectionable qualities. She still retained the nasty streak, but it was only put to use in skewering those who deserved it.

I think this is my favourite Marple scene, from Nemesis (the last Marple story), where she confronts the murderer: MARPLE: ...she wanted a normal woman's life. She wanted reality. You returned her to fairyland. And now... CLOTILDE: And now? MARPLE: She's safe now from any unsuitable princes. Sleeping Beauty lies in the ruins, and flowers grow 'round her. CLOTILDE: Yes. Yes. MARPLE: No, Miss Bradbury-Scott! She's a rotted corpse and there is no one to kiss her awake!

Ouch.

by Anonymousreply 24February 28, 2021 8:00 AM

Well put R24 she did start out as someone who loved gossip and talking about her neighbours but quickly changed to a benevolent, wise old sweetheart with a steely side

by Anonymousreply 25February 28, 2021 8:54 AM

In gratitude, Sir Henry Clithering would give her a good hard dicking after she solved a case.

by Anonymousreply 26February 28, 2021 9:37 AM

In the short stories the Bantrys barely knew her but by "The Body in The Library" Dolly is calling her up, calling her "Jane" and inviting her over to "enjoy the murder"!

by Anonymousreply 27February 28, 2021 10:38 AM

She does it for the Instagram likes and to get material for her podcast.

by Anonymousreply 28February 28, 2021 1:22 PM

Reparations for Miss Marple!

by Anonymousreply 29February 28, 2021 1:37 PM

Would Miss Marple be a Brexiteer who wants that "ghastly Belgian Poiret chap" to go back where he came from?

by Anonymousreply 30February 28, 2021 2:17 PM

No R30 she was very interested and respectful of others different from her. She had a great time in the Caribbean!

by Anonymousreply 31February 28, 2021 2:51 PM

[quote]She does it for the Instagram likes and to get material for her podcast.

The Poddy in the Library is sponsored by BetterHelp.com, helping you find well-trained parlormaids and non-temperamental gardeners. Use offer code Eyelesbarrow for a discount on your first fortnight.

by Anonymousreply 32March 1, 2021 1:27 PM

[quote]In the earliest Marple stories, as well as having a powerful intellect and a mind like a mousetrap, she was - like all her neighbours - an interfering old bat with a nasty streak.

Yep! Her introduction in her first novel The Murder at the Vicarage is with the vicar's wife Griselda referring to her as "that terrible Miss Marple... she's the worst cat in the village!"

I love those old women in the first novel (who turn up in cameos regularly throughout later stories and novels). They're all painted so well. Miss Hartnell is an especially amusing character: "weather-beaten and jolly and much dreaded by the poor", and later on "On my way home, I ran into Miss Hartnell and she detained me at least ten minutes, declaiming in her deep bass voice against the improvidence and ungratefulness of the lower classes. The crux of the matter seemed to be that The Poor did not want Miss Hartnell in their houses. My sympathies were entirely on their side."

by Anonymousreply 33March 3, 2021 8:40 AM

Lord Peter Wimsey would have been a better dancer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 3, 2021 8:58 AM

Obviously, she was a necrophiliac, Rose!

by Anonymousreply 35March 3, 2021 10:02 AM

^^ It doesn't matter what her religion was, Dorothy

by Anonymousreply 36March 3, 2021 10:03 AM

She was actually a serial killer, so she was covering her tracks as she framed someone else for her slayings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37March 3, 2021 10:08 AM

I'm lead to believe that the Miss Marple theme is actually quite difficult to play musically.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 3, 2021 10:10 AM

She gets shower-nozzle masturbation material for weeks out of it.

by Anonymousreply 39March 3, 2021 10:13 AM

She likes to take her false teeth out and give spectacular gum jobs

by Anonymousreply 40March 3, 2021 11:00 AM

Don't be so gross about Miss Marple!

by Anonymousreply 41March 3, 2021 5:07 PM

How did Miss Marple deal with her urges? Did she have discreet affairs with horny married men in the village? Did she find rough tradesmen to satisfy her prurient desires?

by Anonymousreply 42March 6, 2021 10:07 AM

"I'll 'ave you know Miss Marple took me in as a teen a trained me in all the ways of Service. She taught me everyfing from building a good fire in the parlour to 'ow to cook and serve an excellent dinner."

"Why 'er training 'as allowed me to get a good payin' job at the Manor."

"She also taught me 'ow much better it is to scissor wif your girlfriend on a cold night than to get knocked up by a bloody man and loose everyfing when 'e gets you preggers."

by Anonymousreply 43March 6, 2021 10:23 AM

You know, there’s nothing better than an observant old queen with the internet and his wits about him...

You could be a hero - with delightful hats.

by Anonymousreply 44March 6, 2021 10:31 AM

Inspector Datalounge turns up insults the victims décor, calls their grieving sister a rabid cunt, and tries to bang the twink prime suspect. No crime is ever solved but a litany of new sexual harassment and gross negligence ones do get committed.

by Anonymousreply 45March 6, 2021 10:57 AM

I’m nominating Nancy Travis for a reboot of Miss Marple. Fuck you for disagreeing in advance.

by Anonymousreply 46March 6, 2021 11:00 AM

Sure, I've here of her but have never actually read on of her books. Any suggestions to which I should start with?

by Anonymousreply 47March 6, 2021 11:07 AM

Miss Marple needs a reboot. Rewritten as a femme fatale who was a British spy during WW2.

by Anonymousreply 48March 6, 2021 11:10 AM

[quote]Sure, I've here of her but have never actually read on of her books. Any suggestions to which I should start with?

English as a second language perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 49March 6, 2021 11:16 AM

Firstly, Sherlock often took unpaid cases. As for Miss Marple. I suupose you figure there were myriad options for a really sharp woman to use her brains in a village like St. Mary Meade in the 1920s?

And lastly, it's an Agatha Christie mystery, not Anna Karenina.

I guess you think she should have left all that analysis to the menfolk.

If you'd really read Holmes, you'd know that the work's only real meaning for him was mental stimulation, without which he had to turn to cocaine.

But in the old lady's case, it was just "nosiness", eh?

Dear, dear, I do believe something nasty has reared its ugly head here.

by Anonymousreply 50March 6, 2021 11:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!