Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

So Mariah's Upcoming Memoir is Getting Rave Reviews

Apparently her crackheaded sister who has AIDS offered her coke and tried to pimp her out.

Will you be reading this future camp classic?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217October 14, 2020 8:46 PM

Pimped out at 12.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 25, 2020 5:46 AM

The singer revisited her alleged abusive childhood memories.

The release of her memoir has given the world an intimate look into Mariah Carey's life like never before. For years, there have been rumors and speculation about her relationships with her siblings, especially considering her sister has often made headlines for her outrageous accusations. For instance, Alison Carey claimed that their mother would let strangers sexually abuse her when she was young for Satanic rituals. Carey has called her sister "heartless" and referred to both her siblings as her "ex-sister" and "ex-brother," and when the singer sat down with Oprah Winfrey in a recent interview, she discussed what she allegedly endured as a child.

In her book The Meaning of Mariah Carey, the singer wrote, "When I was 12 years old, my sister drugged me with valium, offered me a pinky nail full of cocaine, inflicted me with third degree burns and tried to sell me out to a pimp." Oprah Winfrey asked Carey about that passage. "We don't even really know each other ... we didn't grow up together, but we did. Like, they were on their journeys, by the time I got into the world, they had already been damaged, in my opinion," she said. "But again, I wasn't there. I was dropped into this world and I literally felt like an outsider amongst my own family."

"They just grew up with the experience of living with a Black father and a white mother together as a family and I was for the most part living with my mother, which they saw as easier, but in reality, it was not," Mariah added. "They have always thought that my life was easy." The Meaning of Mariah Carey hits shelves on September 29.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 25, 2020 5:47 AM

Her brother claims that their mother is bipolar and a mess.

by Anonymousreply 3September 25, 2020 5:48 AM

Is she dragging JLo in the book?

by Anonymousreply 4September 25, 2020 5:55 AM

[quote] Is she dragging JLo in the book?

She has better things to talk about than someone who can't even sing.

by Anonymousreply 5September 25, 2020 6:02 AM

[quote] Is she dragging JLo in the book?

She doesn't know her.

by Anonymousreply 6September 25, 2020 6:03 AM

I bet she uses wire coat hangers.

by Anonymousreply 7September 25, 2020 6:03 AM

[quote] Apparently her crackheaded sister who has AIDS offered her coke and tried to pimp her out. Will you be reading this future camp classic?

Miss, with all due respect, I have my own problems. I have no time to accommodate her book.

by Anonymousreply 8September 25, 2020 6:03 AM

This book sounds interesting. I can relate to having a mean, jealous older sibling.

by Anonymousreply 9September 25, 2020 6:04 AM

R4, I just finished reading the LA Times review, and they claimed she briefly mentions JLo as, "another female entertainer on [Sony] (whom I don’t know)." Classic Mimi! My sister and I have always been Mariah fans, but have also always joked about her increasing inability to properly title an album. As soon as Mariah posted the bookcover several months ago, I texed it to my sister and she merely replied, "That's our Mimi...what a title."

by Anonymousreply 10September 25, 2020 6:05 AM

She’s hilarious on Twitter. She seems in on the joke these days. Must be the meds.

by Anonymousreply 11September 25, 2020 2:04 PM

She had a horrible childhood that led to a horrible adulthood literally unable to do anything of her own free will with Tommy M.

by Anonymousreply 12September 25, 2020 2:21 PM

She just admitted to her affair with Dereck Jeter. That broke up her marriage. I would love to sample Jeter’s big cock.

by Anonymousreply 13September 25, 2020 7:41 PM

Here's the article about Jeter, she was married to Mottola at the time, not Nick Cannon.

Does she say anything about Eminem? He is always acting like a baby about whatever relationship they had. I think he's mad because Mariah doesn't claim him as an ex.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 25, 2020 7:55 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 26, 2020 1:17 AM

R13 Nasty. Having an affair while married.

by Anonymousreply 16September 26, 2020 1:24 AM

This thread reminds me of another data lounge thread. Does she talk about datalounge in her memoir?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 26, 2020 1:25 AM

Not interested. I think she’s kind of gross- and not interested in knowing why. She strikes me as dumb.

by Anonymousreply 18September 26, 2020 1:35 AM

She neglects her history of eating disorders when she was younger and the significant impact of becoming manic and the effects of bipolar I disorder (true bipolar, not bipolar light like pill popper CZJ) on her life and career (including weight gain from bipolar meds).

I am a fan, and for a moment, many years ago, while working at UCLA Medical Center I had "some" female patient touch my hair and give me a scalp massage (briefly) before I could pull away. What a memory that is.

by Anonymousreply 19September 26, 2020 1:37 AM

R18 I agree, I find that behavior gross.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 26, 2020 1:38 AM

This whole story of Mariah being a prisoner of Tommy is very strange. In modern day America? You would think this is the story of that UAE princess who had to flee from the sheikh..I mean has she no agency? Oprah must have been sitting there thinking “what’s wrong witchu gurl?”

by Anonymousreply 21September 26, 2020 1:40 AM

I don't even like her music but I will still be reading this. Talk about great stories. Hopefully Legal didn't mute her.

by Anonymousreply 22September 26, 2020 1:42 AM

Andy Cohen Books is the publisher. Seriously. So weird.

by Anonymousreply 23September 26, 2020 1:45 AM

🤣 😝 😆

by Anonymousreply 24September 26, 2020 1:47 AM

[quote] This whole story of Mariah being a prisoner of Tommy is very strange. In modern day America? You would think this is the story of that UAE princess who had to flee from the sheikh..I mean has she no agency? Oprah must have been sitting there thinking “what’s wrong witchu gurl?”

I agree. But, Mottola did admit that his relationship with MC was 'Absolutely Wrong and Inappropriate' in this Billboard article. Not sure exactly what was going on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 26, 2020 2:09 AM

R25 Is this a case of benevolent sexism? He should respect her choice she made as an adult. She agreed to the marriage too.

by Anonymousreply 26September 26, 2020 2:11 AM

R19 she was too poor to afford food when she was struggling after high school. Plus, mist 20 year olds aren’t fat.

She had a horrible family life which was basically non-existent. She now refers to her mother by her first name and her siblings as ex brother and ex sister.

by Anonymousreply 27September 26, 2020 2:13 AM

R27 How childish of her.

by Anonymousreply 28September 26, 2020 2:19 AM

I can't believe she's 50 and still complaining about her childhood.

by Anonymousreply 29September 26, 2020 2:23 AM

Yes, yes, R18/Charlie, we know, you say this in EVERY Mariah Carey thread.

by Anonymousreply 30September 26, 2020 2:26 AM

[quote] She now refers to her mother by her first name and her siblings as ex brother and ex sister.

Wow, I thought she had an OK relationship with her mother.

by Anonymousreply 31September 26, 2020 2:28 AM

It sounds like the whole book is for poor Mariah. Is this why she became the narcissistic greedy self-centered person she is now.

by Anonymousreply 32September 26, 2020 2:31 AM

Her mother called the cops on her around the time of GLITTER.

by Anonymousreply 33September 26, 2020 2:33 AM

Mariah had some kind of Xmas special a few years back. I'm almost sure her mother was included in the promo. A grey haired woman, as I recall.

by Anonymousreply 34September 26, 2020 2:34 AM

I think Mariah pays for her mother's things out of a sense of duty and because Mariah seems like a decent person. At the same time, people who have been abused by their parent(s) or treated poorly by them, still feel a sense of devotion and protection towards them. At least Mariah has made her boundaries clear towards her siblings.

by Anonymousreply 35September 26, 2020 2:42 AM

So, is no one is going to talk about her claiming that people saw Tommy put a knife to her face?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 26, 2020 3:03 AM

Me too r13, Derek Jeter in his PRIME years? Yassss Mariah, get it hunty. She did seem deeply in love with him. But Mariah seems like she had/has too many issues to be anyone's wife, especially another person who is famous.

by Anonymousreply 37September 26, 2020 3:17 AM

[quote] This whole story of Mariah being a prisoner of Tommy is very strange. In modern day America?

I remember their marriage. He was very, very controlling. He told her what she could wear and he wouldn't let her go out without him

by Anonymousreply 38September 26, 2020 3:53 AM

Mariah married Tommy in 1993 and they have been divorced over 20 years. It was different time even then, you could hide marital issues when there was no social media and 24/7 celeb gossip

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 26, 2020 4:09 AM

I love her version if FAME’s “Out Here On My Own” that is included in The Rarities out Oct 2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 26, 2020 4:36 AM

Her Oprah interview on Apple TV was insightful. She seems sweet and is humble/insecure for someone with so many accomplishments and talent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 26, 2020 4:42 AM

I get SO sick of all her woe is me shit. Bitch, you became a multimillionaire and successful singer at 20. Some of us didn’t just have bad childhoods but terrible adulthood’s too and work jobs we hate just to get by. So she can miss me with that crybaby shit.

by Anonymousreply 42September 26, 2020 4:43 AM

She's possibly an alcoholic. People with drinking / substance addictions have arrested development dating back to when they started drinking / using. They are still sad / mad about something that happened long, long ago because of the arrested development.

by Anonymousreply 43September 26, 2020 4:56 AM

R36, the knife he held to her face was a butter knife. Granted, he shouldn't have done it, but what was he gonna do...feed her margarine?

by Anonymousreply 44September 26, 2020 5:46 AM

R44 Still that would be kinda scary, no? To be grabbed and held against your will?

Maybe it's nothing to you, but many would be frightened by that.

by Anonymousreply 45September 26, 2020 1:03 PM

There are some more salacious things that have happened over the years that I'm wondering if she will discuss. Such as...what really went down between her and Eminem. Her friend, DaBrat, recently shared some tea about him being so turned on from simply being around Mariah that he shot a load in his pants without even touching himself LMAO! I think he shared some other things with her about himself and his past with her that other people may not know. There was also some allegations of drug and alcohol abuse made by Mariah's own "ex-brother" in a tabloid not that long ago. I know she addresses some other things about him in the book, but will she discuss these rumors... I would like to hear about those weekly melt downs between her and Nicki Minaj during the American Idol years. Can she talk about her allegations that producers of the show purposefully set that situation up to create drama.... Did both she and Nick Cannon "cheat" on each other before their marriage officially ended? It was alleged, by Nick Cannon, that they had several miscarriages before finally being able to conceive (not in a a traditional way). JLo has been at the center of the "I Don't Know Her" meme. Is there actual proof that JLo contributed to Mariah's record label trying to actively sabotage her career? All these years later JLo still pleads ignorance to not knowing anything, but I get the feeling she's not innocent in "using" music/ideas/vocals from others (see Ashanti).

by Anonymousreply 46September 26, 2020 2:00 PM

I believe there is something "off" with her children.

by Anonymousreply 47September 26, 2020 2:17 PM

R19 has got to be one of the best unconfirmed rumors originated on this site and barely anybody even noticed it!

by Anonymousreply 48September 26, 2020 2:24 PM

^ violating HIPAA isn’t cool...or legal.

The Rarities will include the original version of Loverboy with the Firecracker sample that J Lo’s producer and Tommy M stole to sabotage Mariah.

by Anonymousreply 49September 26, 2020 3:25 PM

This book is definitely not something that I was expecting from her. Usually, she's been very diplomatic and elusive about her past, but I guess she figures her siblings have gone to the media enough times, so the gloves are off. Very surprised that she brought up stuff about Patricia, though.

She's didn't discuss Eminem in her book. I guess she figured she's written two songs about him, so that's enough. Nick she went carefully on, because of the kids. The more recent stuff she didn't talk about either because she's in litigation with that Stella person.

by Anonymousreply 50September 26, 2020 3:38 PM

Tommy Mottola bought most of her early #1 songs on the Hot 100 for her. She only earned a couple of them legitimately. So she should be thankful for that. He's your typical passionate Italian and I think she mistook that passion for controlling behavior. If it weren't for his Italian mafia style she wouldn't have had half of the career and success that she had.

by Anonymousreply 51September 26, 2020 4:04 PM

I hate her music but I love her.

by Anonymousreply 52September 26, 2020 4:35 PM

R51, if I remember right, Sony priced many of her singles at 50 cents at a time when the industry standard was $2. Nobody in the mainstream media points this out.

by Anonymousreply 53September 26, 2020 4:39 PM

Did she discuss that sneaky Russian bitch that tried to blackmail her?

by Anonymousreply 54September 26, 2020 4:46 PM

Re the story about her mom calling the cops on her, I didn't buy for a second Mariah's claim that if she had been given two more days' rest, she would have been refreshed enough to return to work (she mentioned a video shoot). I expect Patricia's recollection of the circumstances surrounding calling the cops is very different to Mariah's, especially with the manic state to which the "HIPAAwho?" above alluded.

by Anonymousreply 55September 26, 2020 4:50 PM

I cannot wait to read this.

by Anonymousreply 56September 26, 2020 5:22 PM

It's disappointing that Mariah hasn't been more open about her own internal struggle and how it fits into the external struggles she faced with family and society etc. But I get it, because sometimes when you grow up with trauma you have this hope afterward that your internal chaos is just a result of it and that you'll return to normal when you come to terms with it. You can be hospitalized or even given an official diagnosis but you can never know if your own mental state was inevitable from birth or a product of your circumstances.

Anyway, I wish she would talk about it...it would be so humanizing and would help destigmatize trauma responses.

by Anonymousreply 57September 26, 2020 5:51 PM

Watch out, Dahling Cunts! Andy Cohen is going to be the Sue Mengers of the Book World!

by Anonymousreply 58September 26, 2020 6:01 PM

Didn't Mariah have hips and a butt put in a few years back. She's not a well woman. She won't ever be. But as long can keep the car on the road, it's all good.

by Anonymousreply 59September 26, 2020 6:08 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 26, 2020 6:10 PM

I find it interesting that she is close to her nephew, her crack addict sister's son (I think). I also remember years ago, Mariah's crackhead sister complaining that Mariah wouldn't give her any money. Well, now we know why based on these details.

by Anonymousreply 61September 26, 2020 6:18 PM

This is totally going to overshadow whatever that docu-mess is that Madonna is trying to come up with and I for one am here for it.

by Anonymousreply 62September 26, 2020 6:23 PM

No it won't. No one thinks of Mariah in a sexual way. And that will affect her biopic.

by Anonymousreply 63September 26, 2020 6:28 PM

No it won't. No one thinks of Mariah in a sexual way. And that will affect her biopic.

by Anonymousreply 64September 26, 2020 6:28 PM

Why do we not think of Mariah in a sexual way?

by Anonymousreply 65September 26, 2020 7:33 PM

R38 sure but the fact that she continues to go on and on about that marriage (even without the book) and the fact that she allowed someone to control her to such an extent is odd. Was she just too young? I mean, the way she describes it you would think it was the story of Princess Diana being controlled by the Royals.

There’s something about her sometimes that seems like she’s very much a victim even though she’s triumphed and is one of the most successful human beings ever. Some people agree to be given something and then complain about how they were tortured by the people that gave it to them.

Madge was beaten by Sean wasn’t she? We don’t hear her moaning endlessly about it. But poor Mimi, the prisoner of Mottola.

by Anonymousreply 66September 26, 2020 7:38 PM

Because she's all about butterflies and charmbracelets. She's forever a tween. And the cartoon sexpot thing she embraced post Tommy Mottola has only further put her at a distance. It's campy, jokey, leaden, NOT sexy.

by Anonymousreply 67September 26, 2020 7:40 PM

Mariah's upped the stakes. All these celebrities that write memoirs and "tell-alls" that read like a fluff piece from People Magazine won't be able to sell books anymore. Give us the good, the bad and the ugly, or shut the fuck up forever.

by Anonymousreply 68September 26, 2020 7:59 PM

r66, Mariah was like 20 when she started dating Mottola. So yes, very young. I do find it weird that she denies she knew he was married at the time or something to that effect.

by Anonymousreply 69September 26, 2020 8:02 PM

Why do you find it odd? It allows her to sidestep mistress accusations.

by Anonymousreply 70September 26, 2020 8:03 PM

Her sister is a prostitute. Maybe that's why she always has to deny having sex outside of marriage, etc. She wants to differentiate herself from her sister.

by Anonymousreply 71September 26, 2020 8:04 PM

R70, because it's something that can be called out as BS by anyone. She was saying this as late as 2006 in an interview with Barbara Walters. Of course, Barbara didn't really ask her any deep questions since they are friends.

by Anonymousreply 72September 26, 2020 8:08 PM

[Quote] because it's something that can be called out as BS by anyone.

Have you seen Mariah's album covers?

by Anonymousreply 73September 26, 2020 8:10 PM

Judging by her eternally 12 nature (by her admission) that we’ve come to know post Mottola, can he really be blamed for the way he treated when he never abused and she seems like someone who can barely take care of herself.

If you’ve seen her reality show, her manager was someone who was accused of controlling and over-managing her. Yet, she seems to be the type to easily or even willingly give away her power and personal responsibility to others. And then, take on a victim narrative when things don’t go her way.

I don’t think she could maintain a relationship with someone more powerful or stronger willed than her without the accusation of that person being a controller.

by Anonymousreply 74September 26, 2020 8:12 PM

Se judges herself more harshly than anyone else ever would. I’ve never heard of her being awful to people like so many are.

by Anonymousreply 75September 26, 2020 8:13 PM

Her Bipolar diagnosis makes me wonder if she was kept from touring because she would be harder to keep on an even keel on the road.

by Anonymousreply 76September 26, 2020 8:15 PM

I'm already getting excited for the messy book tour. Will this be the official thread for all things related to this book?

by Anonymousreply 77September 26, 2020 8:19 PM

R75 I don’t think her going on and on about Mottola and how he controlled her is exactly nice. Millions of people would do anything and have for the opportunity he gave her. She seems to blame him for her lack of personal agency and just in time mind you, when she was already a big megastar thanks to him.

He basically did for her what Clive did for Whitney and more because he protected her from the pitfalls of fame that Whitney fell into. She needs get over it and be grateful. A lot of superstars have had Svengali types from MJ, Britney and Beyoncé with their fathers to Diana with Berry.

by Anonymousreply 78September 26, 2020 8:23 PM

I know Mariah’s type, they know how to use people to get what they want, when to be strong or pretend to be empowered, then turn around and say..”he controlled me..! Bitch, he gave you your career when you were nothing but a back up singer. She knows how hard it is to make it in the music business regardless of how talented you are! She could be kinder to Tommy it’s not like he Harvey Weinstein’d her.

by Anonymousreply 79September 26, 2020 8:33 PM

I used to live in a small tourist town and Mariah Carey came through and had lunch. I heard this story from a coworker who heard it from someone else. (That's the caveat.)

Mariah got the restaurant to remove all the women waitstaff from the floor while she was dining. Men only on the floor.

Also, if you look at the old SNL MC performances, her background singers are all men, no women.

My conclusion: very insecure / demanding. Doesn't want a woman on stage with her, doesn't want to be upstaged.

by Anonymousreply 80September 26, 2020 8:33 PM

She’s always been an ugly & insecure woman. A whale. Her life is boring as fuck and obviously nobody’s interested in hearing it. Thanks to YouTube we all know how overrated she really is. 🥱 Whitney Madonna are far far and far more interesting and authentic than she ever be

by Anonymousreply 81September 26, 2020 8:56 PM

Whitney, the pretend heterosexual?

by Anonymousreply 82September 26, 2020 8:58 PM

Lol Madonna is a fucking bore now who takes herself too seriously, proven by that disastrous IG live she did with Diablo Cody.

No pop star reeks of major insecurities and lack of authenticity more than Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 83September 26, 2020 9:03 PM

And that's why her biopic will be so bad it's good.

by Anonymousreply 84September 26, 2020 9:05 PM

I’d rather watch a flock of sparrows devour a pile of cow flop!

by Anonymousreply 85September 26, 2020 9:32 PM

R16, its very difficult to have an affair if you're UNmarried.

by Anonymousreply 86September 26, 2020 9:36 PM

Love affairs always involve marrieds?

by Anonymousreply 87September 26, 2020 9:43 PM

I'm not a fan of her singing at all and I've made plenty of fun of her over the years, but there's something very sweet about her. With that comes the tweeny mean girl aspects too at time. She looks great in the Oprah interview - healthier, prettier, more natural and connected than she has in years. She's surprisingly not so dumb. Who knew?

I am impressed that she's coming out with a real and substantive biography. She doesn't need the money or the attention. She's 50 years old and almost grown up!! I might have to like her a bit.

Her fans are insane though. Because Mariah hasn't been able to sing for over 20 years. They love her though, for real. And she's not fake about her love for them.

Mariah had a hard time. I get it. We never thought she had it easy. Your brother and sister can't be such human disasters while you claim your mother taught you how to sing and be a woman in this world. Now we KNOW. Not true. You have to be an adult sometimes before you can see your parents clearly or tell yourself the truth about them. Mariah ain't made only of charm bracelets and cotton candy after all?!?

She once said that she could count the men she slept with on one hand. I don't think she was lying either. Hopefully she needs to use both hands and some toes by now. Mariah looks cute again.

Love Takes Time. I wish she would have titled her book that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88September 26, 2020 9:53 PM

Has anyone else noticed that celebrity biracial women seem to love playing the victim, but never want to own up to the part they may have played in their drama? Halle is another one that comes to mind.

by Anonymousreply 89September 26, 2020 10:03 PM

[quote]I do find it weird that she denies she knew he was married at the time or something to that effect.

Exactly. She’s so full of shit. And she said that she was running down the beach crying on her wedding night because she didn’t want to sleep with him. Bitch, WTF do you think happens on your wedding night? WTF did you marry him if you weren’t attracted to him? And don’t give the lame ass “I was pressured into it” excuse.

by Anonymousreply 90September 26, 2020 10:06 PM

No, I haven't noticed that R89. Victimhood is not the property of celebrity biracial women. Have you met any ancient white fags? Oy. What they've endured!

by Anonymousreply 91September 26, 2020 10:09 PM

[quote[] So Mariah's Upcoming Memoir is Getting Rave Reviews

Wonder who wrote it?

by Anonymousreply 92September 26, 2020 10:13 PM

r89 Alicia Keys and Faith Evans both grew up in a very similar fashion as Mariah, toughing it out in New York with nothing but their talent to get them in the music industry. Absent fathers but they've never played the victim card.

by Anonymousreply 93September 26, 2020 10:42 PM

Please, Mariah knew Tommy was married. She would do anything for her career, including marrying him. I'm sure she looked the other way when he bought #1s for her.

I wonder if she will discuss her falling out with Walter Afanasieff, who was almost as responsible as Mottola and Mariah herself for her success in the early years.

by Anonymousreply 94September 27, 2020 1:17 AM

[quote] I wonder if she will discuss her falling out with Walter Afanasieff, who was almost as responsible as Mottola and Mariah herself for her success in the early years.

I'm curious about that, too.

She made her best music with Walter Afanasieff. It's a shame they never repaired their relationship. She was able to gain more hits without him, but other than We Belong Together, none of them are as memorable as the music she did with him.

by Anonymousreply 95September 27, 2020 1:20 AM

She can say what she wants about Tommy, but she made her best music while with him. Other few exceptions here and there, her post 1995 output has been disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 96September 27, 2020 2:00 AM

[quote]She made her best music with Walter Afanasieff

The only reason she is still somewhat relevant today is because of All I Want for Christmas is You, which Walter co-wrote and produced. That song has been paying Mariah's bills for decades.

by Anonymousreply 97September 27, 2020 2:05 AM

I had a friend who worked an internship at MTV back in the mid-90s, and she met Mariah and her entourage when Mariah was at the main studio in NYC doing some publicity. She said Mariah was literally the dumbest person she'd ever met. Like, can't-walk-and-chew-gum-at-the-same-time dumb. She was also obsessed with her 'good' side, always trying to angle her face so it was on display.

by Anonymousreply 98September 27, 2020 2:16 AM

Here’s the full interview. Jesus, I don’t blame Mariah turning to alcohol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99September 27, 2020 2:54 AM

The full interview was already posted upthread. It's interesting.

by Anonymousreply 100September 27, 2020 3:01 AM

Yeah. I just finished watching the interview and enjoyed it. Mariah's mother and siblings sound no different than Hillary Swank's family in Million Dollar Baby.

It's a shame that by the time she finally was developing a relationship with her father he was dying.

by Anonymousreply 101September 27, 2020 3:17 AM

Thanks for posting R99.

Just watched the Oprah interview. God, Oprah talks too much.

Sounds like she still financially supports her mother, even though she calls her mother "Pat" (for Patricia). I believe what she said about her family. I think there was more to the story with regard to the first husband, Mottola.

by Anonymousreply 102September 27, 2020 4:56 AM

[quote]Other few exceptions here and there, her post 1995 output has been disappointing.

Thats a matter of taste. I personally can do without Mariah's pre 1995 ballads. Like I would be ok if I never heard them again, they are so overrated to me. She had a better voice then but still. Her hits then were super generic pop ballads, much like Whitney. You can tell she had no love for those songs, she was just going through the motions.

by Anonymousreply 103September 27, 2020 5:03 AM

She has a total lack of accountability for her part in the negative events of her life. No real self-realizations occur. She blames everyone else, from her mother & sister to Tommy for any bad emotions or consequences. Totally glosses over and ignores any alleged substance abuse issue or mental illness.

I enjoyed the Oprah interview. It was like old school Oprah. Very Barbra Walters-type piece.

The book: I mean it’s published by startup ANDY COHEN BOOKS, did anyone expect anything other than a fluff piece.

The old saying: Everyone is the “hero” in their own story.

by Anonymousreply 104September 27, 2020 6:34 AM

Is this part of the book?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105September 27, 2020 11:34 AM

I loved Mariah’s first album the most! It was so innocent and refreshing. The rest seemed to show a real lack of evolution as an artist (except when she suddenly started being R&B). Plus the whole “ I’m a sex kitten” persona had gotten so stale.

That said, was her mom really an opera singer? As in, a professional opera singer? I’m an opera fan but have never heard of her. I know publicity departments like to play up when someone is supposedly “operatically trained.”

Ironically, Mariah’s high notes are just whistle notes, nothing that a true opera singer would ever use

by Anonymousreply 106September 27, 2020 11:53 AM

Her sister is a fucking mess. There’s a video of her showing off her lack of singing skills. Mariah is exactly right. If you watched her sisters interview, she literally just let in some random camera crew for money, probably to get drugs. She’ll do anything for money and has. It’s beyond embarrassing and tragic.

I don’t think Mariah lacks accountability when it comes to herself. I just think she’s just telling it like it is, at least for the most part. She’s obviously had tons of therapy. I liked the bit where talked about Derek Jetter’s family and seeing that it wasn’t being biracial that produced her messed up family. That was their own doing.

Mariah seems to be on good terms with Matolla. He tweeted her congratulations last year and she responded, “You funny, funny man.” He also wished her the best with her book.

by Anonymousreply 107September 27, 2020 12:18 PM

R105 Take your Fox news shit elsewhere.

Mariah's sister Alison has been a drug addict/thief/liar for most of her life. Mariah paid for expensive rehab treatments for her, but Alison is a sociopath with no interest in change. Remember when Alison was arrested for selling sex despite her HIV + status? She is trash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108September 27, 2020 2:01 PM

[quote]Other few exceptions here and there, her post 1995 output has been disappointing.

Her gay fans wanted her to keep singing those tired power ballads, but that sound died in the mid-90s. Celine Dion was the last singer to ride that wave and now it's completely dead. Mariah was smart to recognize that the era of the Power Diva was over and it was time to move into R&B. She was able to stay on top for several more years because of it.

by Anonymousreply 109September 27, 2020 3:57 PM

R109 spot on My Heart Will Go On was the end of that era.

by Anonymousreply 110September 27, 2020 4:02 PM

Just watched the Oprah interview and it’s like Oprah was really trying like the rest of us to understand that Motolla era and it was difficult.

Mariah kept on saying, ”you don’t understand...he was so powerful..and there were security guards...and Da Brat and JD saw it and they were shocked...and I never even saw my fans...and blah blah blah and Oprah is like “so you couldn’t leave to go the nail salon? Why? What would happen?” And then Mimi “you don’t understand, he was very powerful....and the guns...and security guards everywhere...but he had so much power nobody has such power anymore...”

by Anonymousreply 111September 27, 2020 5:22 PM

I like when Oprah was like “Sis we got it!” about how powerful Tommy was in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 112September 27, 2020 6:00 PM

I am not really a fan of her music, but I do have a soft spot for her.

When Whitney's funeral was held, her and Nick went in quietly. No talking to the press etc. and sat in the back. She was dressed down too-considering the stuff she is usually seen in.

I know in some interview shortly after that, the interviewer tried to bring up the funeral. Mariah shut them down and didn't exploit her passing.

I am a huge Nippy stan, so I appreciated that.

by Anonymousreply 113September 27, 2020 6:02 PM

I will indeed. I’m only undecided between the book-book and the ebook.

by Anonymousreply 114September 27, 2020 6:27 PM

R14, she doesn’t talk about Eminem, as he isn’t part of the “meaning” of Mariah.

She writes about the song “My All” and how it was about how she risked her life to sneak away to be with Jeter.

This book is going to be a dish.

by Anonymousreply 115September 27, 2020 6:32 PM

Eminem admitted in the song "The Warning" the reason why he dissed her so many times because she always denied their relationship. He was definitely in his feelings about that.

I liked the interview with Oprah. She pushed Mariah to be more open and honest about things she refused to answer. Some fans are complaining about how Oprah interrupted Mariah a lot, but I'm glad she did, as Mariah has the tendency to give PR canned responses and ramble to nowhere land. Oprah reminded people why she's Oprah Winfrey: she's in her element in this type of venue. I felt the best part of the interview was when Oprah read the letter Leontyne Price wrote Mariah after meeting her at The Legends Ball. To get such an endorsement from Price was, according to Mariah, the highlight of her career.

I was thinking about purchasing the book, but after discovering that the publisher is Andy Cohen's company, I'm having second thoughts. I loathed that cockeyed motherfucker.

by Anonymousreply 116September 27, 2020 8:41 PM

She's had a terrible childhood. The people who are supposed to love you (i.e. your family) betrayed her and used her. I don't blame her for being a major diva and cunt. I don't think she's capable of trusting someone...anyone.

Yes, she is rich and has achieved success in her career but she will never be happy.

by Anonymousreply 117September 27, 2020 8:47 PM

R115 as was “the roof” or as Oprah called it “the rof”

by Anonymousreply 118September 27, 2020 8:48 PM

One weird thing is that Mariah named her daughter "Monroe" after Marilyn Monroe. Not sure what kind of role model that is.

by Anonymousreply 119September 27, 2020 8:53 PM

Her earlier output isn't bad, but she became a much more interesting artist once she drifted to hip hop and R and B.

Her songwriting is underrated. She's very quirky with her lyrics in a way that most artists aren't.

by Anonymousreply 120September 27, 2020 9:07 PM

R120, I like Mariah, but a great lyricist, she is not.

I give her credit for writing her own songs & for making royalties and not going broke.

by Anonymousreply 121September 27, 2020 9:18 PM

The song Petals revealed that she can be a great lyricist when she wants to be.

I think the technical prowess of her voice overshadows her songwriting abilities. Even Walter Afanasieff, decades after the two fell out, always commended her of her songwriting skills. He said when the two wrote a song together the lyrics were all Mariah and creating the melody was 50/50 between the two.

by Anonymousreply 122September 27, 2020 9:28 PM

Is she da queen of samples? Or is it still Timba?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123September 28, 2020 4:55 AM

That Oprah interview, I knew it would be honest when she was introduced as “one of” the best selling females of all time. You remember all this interviews where she would be introduced as “the best” selling female of all time.

by Anonymousreply 124September 28, 2020 1:11 PM

[quote]She made her best music with Walter Afanasieff.

Her first album had ZERO Afanasieff and he 2nd (Emotions) has less than half.

by Anonymousreply 125September 28, 2020 5:05 PM

[quote] Her first album had ZERO Afanasieff and he 2nd (Emotions) has less than half.

I don't consider her first album her best. And you're wrong about there being ZERO Afanasieff on her first album: he produced "Love Takes Time" and played keyboard on many of the songs from the first. And on Emotions (my personal fav despite it being a critical and commercial disappointment) she co-produced all but four songs with him on the album. With Afanasieff she found her sound with him, IMO.

Two of her signature songs were co-written and co-produced with Afanasieff, "All I Want for Christmas Is You" and "Hero." The other two, "Always Be My Baby" and "We Belong Together" were with Jermaine Dupri.

by Anonymousreply 126September 28, 2020 8:06 PM

I hate her music except for one song, oddly enough the first single she ever released that did not go to #1 on Billboard charts. I still think it is gorgeous. Forgot what kept it out of the top spot but something was logged in there for weeks and weeks, I recall.

by Anonymousreply 127September 28, 2020 9:06 PM

I never liked her before but after that interview, I respect her. She comes across as intelligent and humble. Who would've guessed?

by Anonymousreply 128September 28, 2020 10:19 PM

[quote]I don't consider her first album her best. And you're wrong about there being ZERO Afanasieff on her first album: he produced "Love Takes Time" and played keyboard on many of the songs from the first.

I stand corrected about "Zero"; he produced one song and played keyboards.

But he didn't WRITE ANY of them.

And her 1st album is amazing. "Best" is subjective. Mariah herself has said Walter's style was getting too "schlocky".

by Anonymousreply 129September 28, 2020 10:46 PM

R129/R125, I don't know why you're trying to pick an argument with me; I never said her debut wasn't amazing. I actually love her first album ("Vanishing" alone ranks it as a classic). But *I* don't consider it her best, which clearly I was speaking for myself and personal taste.

And while Mariah felt Walter's style was getting too schlocky, it still remains that the songs most people remember are the ones that she created with him, with the exception of "Always Be My Baby" and "We Belong Together."

But chill out. I wasn't coming for her. I've been a fan since "Vision of Love." It's just my personal opinion that she made her best music with Walter.

by Anonymousreply 130September 29, 2020 12:04 AM

[quote]Her gay fans wanted her to keep singing those tired power ballads, but that sound died in the mid-90s.

Wrong. My favorite songs from her were the 90-95 uptempo pop songs. She needs to do more pop. The rent-a-rapper R&B shit is tired.

by Anonymousreply 131September 29, 2020 3:55 AM

Mariah is on with Colbert now.

by Anonymousreply 132September 29, 2020 4:07 AM

Walter Afanasieff needs to work with Ariana Grande.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133September 29, 2020 4:47 AM

Walter Afanasieff didn't produce the song "Emotions." That was all Mariah Carey, David Cole and Robert Clivillés (the last two formed the group C&C Music Factory). He did co-write and co-produced all of the ballads with her on that album. The up-tempos were all by Cole and Clivillés.

Walter did some songs for Kelly Clarkson and Christina Aguilera, two of Mariah's disciples. But other than his work with Celine Dion, he has never achieved the same success he had with others as he did with Mariah.

by Anonymousreply 134September 29, 2020 5:01 AM

I read the book and it’s very well-written and I recommend it even to the haters. If you hate her after reading it you’re a horrible person who has no rmpathy.. It’s not so gossipy, it’s more about how horrible her life was as a white-ish looking child mostly living in white towns with her mom, psycho brother, and demented sister. It’s truthful and revealing...the meaning of what has made her the person she is today. It then goes on to detail her early career, marriage, milestone moments. She worked very hard to learn about singing and songwriting as she grew up. People think she is a ditz, but she wrote an album every fucking year of the 90’s while promoting it as a global superstar, writing remixes, etc.

by Anonymousreply 135September 29, 2020 5:17 AM

We can hear so much of Mariah's style in Kelly Clarkson. Kelly made no secret of it either. Miss Clarkson has whistle notes, seldom used. But she also has the most beautiful head voice in the game. I always found Mariah's sound to be awkward and broken between her many registers. Kelly has a better voice and technique and she's a more versatile singer. She's amazing in fact.

There's only one Mariah. I get worshipping Whitney, but I don't feel many of Mariah's songs. Way too much melisma.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136September 29, 2020 5:29 AM

Young Kelly singing Whitney, like Mariah. Sweet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137September 29, 2020 5:32 AM

Why didn't this woman win everything? Kelly does okay. 20 years in and she knows what she's doing and does it better than ever. A pop soprano voice in full bloom. Gorgeous and very difficult singing. Kelly never cared to sound perfect which frees her to be soulful and great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138September 29, 2020 5:54 AM

The YouTube channel IloveArethaFranklin did the definitive analysis on Mariah Carey's voice. He didn't approach it as a stan or a hater, but as an objective and fair critic who highlights the pros and cons of her voice. He's well-versed in vocal pedagogy. And while Aretha Franklin is obviously his favorite singer, he is also a connoisseur of opera, gospel, jazz and R&B. He knows his shit!

He did one on Whitney Houston that was just as good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139September 29, 2020 6:07 AM

[quote] Emotions (my personal fav despite it being a critical and commercial disappointment)

I love Emotions--it's my favorite studio album by her (Merry Christmas is either as good or better). There are 0 bad songs on it and it has her best singing on it. I don't know why it got such mediocre reviews, it was a huge step up from her debut and much, much better than Music Box.

by Anonymousreply 140September 29, 2020 12:22 PM

In the book, Mariah alludes to being at home with Tommy and Walter. Tommy got pissed in the kitchen pressed a butter knife to Mariah’s cheek while yelling. Walter did nothing, said nothing. That is why they don’t collaborate.

by Anonymousreply 141September 29, 2020 4:29 PM

You bitches better serialize the book here.

by Anonymousreply 142September 29, 2020 4:38 PM

You bitches better serialize the book here.

by Anonymousreply 143September 29, 2020 4:38 PM

Mariah and Walter have been feuding for 20 years because Mariah has been telling people for years that she wrote All I Want for Christmas all by herself, which isn't true.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144September 29, 2020 4:44 PM

Thanks for the link R144. To summarize, Walter and Mariah wrote that Christmas song together, but for some reason Mariah is now saying she wrote the song when she was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 145September 29, 2020 5:21 PM

Mariah has been consistent in that she wrote all the lyrics to "All I Want for Christmas," which I believe because Walter isn't a lyricist, and has admitted even back when they worked together on Emotions" that Mariah writes all the lyrics to the songs. When it comes to the melody, chord progressions, .etc, it's 50/50 collaboration between the two. And it's due to her writing the lyrics to their songs as to why she makes more money from the royalties than Walter.

Honestly, I don't see them ever repairing their friendship and creative partnership because Walter probably reminds her too much of the Tommy Mottola era of her career.

by Anonymousreply 146September 29, 2020 5:22 PM

R146, I'm only going by what Walter has said, but he says they each own 50% of the song, in which case they would both make the same amount from it.

by Anonymousreply 147September 29, 2020 5:27 PM

[quote] I love Emotions--it's my favorite studio album by her (Merry Christmas is either as good or better). There are 0 bad songs on it and it has her best singing on it. I don't know why it got such mediocre reviews, it was a huge step up from her debut and much, much better than Music Box.

I love "Emotions" too. It's probably my favorite album from her after "Merry Christmas." She experimented with so many genres on that album from Disco, Soul, Gospel, and Jazz. I never cared for "Music Box," it's too Tommy Mottola influenced and her least personal album. I understood why it was her biggest selling because it was very Pop-driven and ballad-heavy. But "Emotions" had her best singing (along with "Merry Christmas") and her most experimental. "If It's Over" co-written by Carole King was the standout track for me. I think had the album not been such a critical and commercial disappointment she would have continued to evolved from that sound and not turn to adult contemporary Pop with "Music Box."

Even the up-tempos "You're So Cold" and "To Be Around You" still hold up today.

by Anonymousreply 148September 29, 2020 6:35 PM

Mariah really holds a grudge too, I guess its the childhood and broken relationships. Once she is done with you its over forever!

Wendy Williams talked about her book today and I feel the same way about it. Anyone remotely interested in her and 90s music already knows most of the stories in it because Mariah has been around so long. Its nice that she is talking about this stuff herself finally. I wish she would do Wendy's show with Wendy coherent enough to ask her some good questions about things we dont know.

by Anonymousreply 149September 29, 2020 6:42 PM

R148, wow, I though I typed that post for a second lol. Music Box sold the most because it was the most middle-of-the-road. It's pretty unremarkable except for Dreamlover and Without You. Emotions definitely qualifies as R&B to me. And Merry Christmas is such a classic too.

by Anonymousreply 150September 29, 2020 7:55 PM

Andy Cohen Books is a division of Henry Holt. The other books on the schedule sound dreadful.

[quote]Andy Cohen Books’ inaugural list will feature an as-yet untitled memoir by superstar pop singer Mariah Carey about her career and rise to pop prominence; Jackie Walter’s The Queen V, a book focused on vaginal health; and Bevy Smith’s Bodacious Dreams and Bevelations, a memoir about her transformation from business women into a national motivational personality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151September 29, 2020 8:09 PM

The more I see Cohen's face, the more I think he's a douche.

by Anonymousreply 152September 29, 2020 10:05 PM

Walter is hot. Russian Brazilian apparently. What's not to like?

by Anonymousreply 153September 30, 2020 4:02 AM

She talks about her friend who had a gay mother and her guncles (gay uncles) whom she adored.

by Anonymousreply 154October 1, 2020 5:07 AM

From her book:

"My mother was culturally open when I was young and had a diverse group of friends. I remember I had a friend—let’s call her Ashley—whose mother was gay (Ashley had no clue). My mother was very matter of fact: “Ashley’s mom is gay, and she lives with her partner.” No big deal. And it really wasn’t. Two of my favorite people were my guncles (gay uncles), Burt and Myron. They were wonderful, and so was their home. It wasn’t a grand spread, but theirs was a charming midsized brick house set back on a sweet piece of wooded land. Wild raspberries grew in the backyard, and they had a golden Labrador named Sparkle. When they traveled, my mother and I would house-sit for them. I reveled in the cleanliness and comfort.

Burt was a schoolteacher and photographer, and Myron was, as he put it, a “stay-at-home wife.” Myron was a vision. He wore a perfectly coiffed beard and his hair was always blown out in cascading layers, which he would finish off with a shimmering frosting spray. He was perpetually tanned and sashayed around the house in spectacular multicolored silk caftans. Burt would bring me out in their yard to take photos of me (I just adored showing off in front of a camera), and he totally encouraged my exaggerated poses. He fully supported and understood my propensity for extraness.

I distinctly remember one Christmas photo session we staged. I was dressed up in a green dress with flowers, and, as a special Christmas miracle, I had decent-looking bangs. I pretended to be placing an ornament on the tree as I coyly looked back over my shoulder and Burt snapped the picture: fashion-feature festive.

I enjoyed Burt and Myron’s lovely, cozy little home year-round, but especially at Christmastime. They put so much care and personality into preparing for the season. The house would be perfectly clean, and there would be pretty decorations, precisely placed, and a fire roaring in the fireplace. The house smelled like a new oven with something roasting inside; they always had little savory morsels to nibble and served fancy drinks like brandy Alexanders. I remember being stuck at their house one holiday during an ice storm, which I hoped would never end. Burt and Myron gave me my first taste of what a homey Christmas really felt like. They provided an example of a homey lifestyle in general.

My guncles supported the showgirl in me. Whenever I wanted to put on my own little production (which was frequently), they would pay full attention to me. They never tried to tame my over-the-top imagination. It was from my little girl’s spirit and those early fantasies of family, and friendship, that I wrote “All I Want for Christmas Is You.” Think of how it begins: ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding … the delicate chimes are reminiscent of those little wooden toy pianos, like the one Schroeder had on Peanuts."

by Anonymousreply 155October 1, 2020 5:10 AM

Gloria Estefan was on WWHL last night with Kathie Lee Gifford and you could tell that she doesn't like Mariah. Andy was talking about the Divas Live show and how Mariah didn't hold back in her book about what went on backstage. Gloria didn't really say anything, but she had a look on her face when Mariah's name was mentioned that looked like she was smelling poop. She said that Celine Dion was very nice and down-to-earth, but Mariah got the "I Smell Poop" face.

by Anonymousreply 156October 1, 2020 6:06 AM

r156, what went on backstage?

by Anonymousreply 157October 1, 2020 12:48 PM

Is this the one where Mariah tried to dominate everyone and ran out to do a duet with Aretha Franklin?

by Anonymousreply 158October 1, 2020 3:29 PM

Do we ever get any confirmation as to her actual birth year? It's either 1969 or 1970, but there's always speculation and she is famously evasive about age.

by Anonymousreply 159October 1, 2020 3:55 PM

Why start a sentence with "So," OP? Just wondering if perhaps English is not your first language.

by Anonymousreply 160October 1, 2020 3:56 PM

No dumbass r158.

Mariah was scheduled to do a duet with Aretha. Celine is the one who was going off on the final song and Mariah talks in her book that Celine overstepped her boundaries.

by Anonymousreply 161October 1, 2020 9:34 PM

Mariah has said for years that she thought Celine acted disrespectful towards Aretha at Divas Live. That when Aretha sings, everyone should step back and let Aretha go. Celine shouldn't have tried to top her. But Aretha was fine with it, and even called Celine up to sing gospel with her during the finale.

Trust if there was a problem, Aretha would have stopped the show and told Celine how it was going to be done. Aretha did not mince words. Mariah's just salty that her voice was not in good shape that night, and couldn't really get out there with them.

And Gloria's probably still pissed that Mariah didn't give her Hero as was originally intended.

by Anonymousreply 162October 1, 2020 9:45 PM

Celine did her thing. At her best - her voice was phenomenal and much better at riffing than anyone but Aretha and Whitney. Celine still sounds damn good. Mariah is opening up in her book, but she's still a petty mean girl full of delusion about her looks and voice. Very jealous of the other girls who can really SANG. Kelly Clarkson practically licked Mariah's feet when she met her and Mariah was like - smiling - who are you again? It really is her worst quality. Because Mariah's lambs are delusional too. Bitch hasn't been able to sing well in 25 years. And she's only 50. Celine is 51 and still sounds pretty glorious. And Aretha had some mighty fine vocal moments into her early 70s. Always LIVE. Mariah is lazy and seldom has the mic turned on. Famously lazy. Lounging on the divan while Trey test sings the songs for her. She's a lip syncher and poser. Her voice is in pieces. She repaired it a bit, along with her health. But her tone is not pleasant and her sound is strained. Nothing is pretty or rough or beautiful about her voice. It was a very temporary gift that she had. Mariah should be complimenting ALL the other great girls who can sing. Funny thing is that Mariah is most like Aretha - petty, jealous, imperious. She withholds praise and recognition - "nice gowns." At least Aretha was a true DIVA. Mariah is a silly slutty bitch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163October 1, 2020 10:32 PM

*THIS* is why Mariah was upset. Does Aretha look threatened? Hell no. Celine was great. She demonstrates power, agility and resonance. Spirit and confidence. Mariah is a candy ass singer. Coo. coo. Cachoo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164October 1, 2020 11:10 PM

[quote] Mariah was scheduled to do a duet with Aretha

Mariah sang Chain of fools with Aretha. Mariah's voice actually sounds good here. I thought it had deteriorated by this time but she genuinely sounds good.

R162, I'm actually genuinely surprised Mariah called out Celine like that. Celine is one of those people who really doesn't have any problems with anybody in the business. Now that I think about it, I don't remember Celine ever being asked what she thought about Mariah.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165October 1, 2020 11:52 PM

Aretha was singing Celine's part so Celine wasn't really upstaging her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166October 1, 2020 11:54 PM

Watching Celine at R166, I do feel like Whitney should have been there instead of her. She sounds so weird singing Natural woman, her phrasing is awful and all the soul from the song is gone.

by Anonymousreply 167October 1, 2020 11:57 PM

Awww R163, you were doing so well to contain your absolute hatred for Mariah earlier in this thread until you unleash your venom as you always do about Mariah. I don't know why you continue to attack her gay fans. Not all of us are crazy like the ones you encounter on social media and YouTube. Some of us are actual honest and fair about Mariah's vocal decline and laziness. But of course, you like to overlook that because you've always been a hater of her. I'm not going to go back-and-forth with you. I've done enough of that over the years at DL. I do respect your knowledge of vocal pedagogy, and we both revere Whitney Houston's voice. It's just that when you talk about Mariah you become unhinged. Sad.

Anyway, Celine did her damn thing at Divas Live. However, most of the news articles were all about how Aretha dominated the show and slayed every number she did that night. Honestly, that was the last time Aretha sounded so good live and she proved that night why she was the undisputed Queen. Mariah's duet with Aretha was also great. She didn't try to challenge Aretha and they complimented each other throughout the performance. Mariah's voice wasn't up to par, she sounded raspy on "Make It Happen" and "My All." Had this been 1995-1996 Mariah she would've sounded amazing that night.

by Anonymousreply 168October 2, 2020 12:13 AM

R168, not sure what you're talking about. I'm a fan of Mariah.

by Anonymousreply 169October 2, 2020 12:18 AM

You said earlier you're not a fan of her singing, don't care for her music, she uses too much melisma, and Kelly Clarkson is a better singer. Then you called her a "silly slutty bitch." It's well known that you hate her. You've been trashing her on Datalounge for years. I know because I often had arguments with you about her.

If you're a fan you sure have a funny way of expressing your appreciation of her despite her flaws.

by Anonymousreply 170October 2, 2020 12:29 AM

[quote] And Gloria's probably still pissed that Mariah didn't give her Hero as was originally intended.

That was Tommy Mottola's fault. Mariah didn't even like "Hero" and had every intentions in giving it to Gloria. It was Tommy who told her she should keep the song for herself and put it on "Music Box."

by Anonymousreply 171October 2, 2020 12:33 AM

I'm not sure what it is, but ... it's actually quite good. Or maybe I'm just starved for something to read?

by Anonymousreply 172October 2, 2020 12:36 AM

[quote] You said earlier you're not a fan of her singing, don't care for her music, she uses too much melisma, and Kelly Clarkson is a better singer. Then you called her a "silly slutty bitch." It's well known that you hate her. You've been trashing her on Datalounge for years. I know because I often had arguments with you about her.

You seem a little obsessive. I'm not the one who has posted those things.

by Anonymousreply 173October 2, 2020 12:49 AM

Then you weren't the one who posted the response at R163. Actually, you and I were agreeing with each other about "Emotions" and "Merry Christmas" being Mariah's best albums. You're not the poster I'm referring to.

I'm referring to R88 who has expressed his dislike for Mariah Carey over the years at DL, but posted his fairest assessment of her in that post. Yet it didn't last too long before he began posting videos of Kelly Clarkson and trashing Mariah as a "lip-singer" and a "slutty bitch." *Sighs*

Anyway, I'm not for sure why Mariah would say that about Celine Dion because Aretha didn't have much of a problem with Celine. Celine is much more competitive to do vocal battles than Mariah. In all the duets I've seen Mariah give back in her prime, she never tries to overpower the other person. She and Luther Vandross sounded amazing together singing "Endless Love."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174October 2, 2020 1:10 AM

R174, it's all good. Yes, I do love Emotions and Merry Christmas. LOL for anyone to say that Kelly Clarkson is a better singer than Mariah. I like her but come on...

I agree about Endless Love too. Celine is one of those people who I have never seen criticized by other artists, ever. For Mariah to drag her, of all people, is kind of stupid. Celine seems like a genuinely kind person. I personally think Celine has a good voice with horrible phrasing (phrasing that ruined almost every single song she sang). But that doesn't effect how I think she comes off as a person (at least in public).

by Anonymousreply 175October 2, 2020 1:16 AM

[quote]You said earlier you're not a fan of her singing, don't care for her music, she uses too much melisma, and Kelly Clarkson is a better singer. Then you called her a "silly slutty bitch."

Where's the lie?

by Anonymousreply 176October 2, 2020 2:05 AM

R175, are you listening to "The Rarities"? It just dropped moments ago. (I pre-ordered the album on iTunes and it's now available on Apple Music). It's so refreshing to hear a new Mariah album with her 90s voice! And to have her 1996 Tokyo Dome concert included makes it a real treat! This is definitely one of Mariah's best albums to date.

All the 90s songs on the album are phenomenal, but my personal favorites are "Do You Think of Me," "Everything Fades Away," "All I Live For" (can't believe this was with Walter, sounds so R&B), and the best of all "Slipping Away."

by Anonymousreply 177October 2, 2020 4:57 AM

Oh, "One Night" is classic Mariah! It's Pop/R&B/Doo-Wop all in one, something she did so effortlessly back in the day. Jermaine Dupri is really her best collaborator along with Afanasieff. I hope she releases it as a single.

by Anonymousreply 178October 2, 2020 6:44 AM

Oh, I see. So Mariah can sing with Aretha but Celine can't? Uh-huh.

Mariah sounded like shit that night and Celine showed her up and was able to hold her own with the Queen of Soul.

Not to mention, Celine was Mariah's direct competition in the '90s aside from Whitney and Madonna. But Celine was huge worldwide. I can see why Mariah was threatened by her.

by Anonymousreply 179October 2, 2020 7:12 AM

Carole King obviously disagrees with Mariah.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180October 2, 2020 7:19 AM

[quote] are you listening to "The Rarities"?

I had no idea about this, I'll check it out!

[quote] Not to mention, Celine was Mariah's direct competition in the '90s aside from Whitney and Madonna. But Celine was huge worldwide. I can see why Mariah was threatened by her.

Celine also sold more than Mariah during the 90s. It's especially impressive because she released less material than Mariah did.

by Anonymousreply 181October 2, 2020 12:39 PM

Competition between singers is so stupid. Mariah and Celine were both huge--why did they feel they had to compete with one another?

I loved Mariah when she was younger and found Celine to sing such sappy songs--but as vocalists, Celine has the better pipes.

Better than all of them was Whitney, who infused her songs with electricity and emotion that neither of the other two could match.

by Anonymousreply 182October 2, 2020 3:02 PM

How can you not love Mariah? She’s a camp classic. When Andy Cohen asked her to say something nice about Eminem she said, “They come in a package, they come in chocolate and peanut...”

by Anonymousreply 183October 2, 2020 3:26 PM

I always liked when Mariah would go into the studio and totally rewrite and rework her songs for remixes. People forget that Mariah directed a few music videos as well. I wish she’d try a new genre of music. I wonder what a dance album would sound like from her.

by Anonymousreply 184October 2, 2020 3:29 PM

I want a dance album from Mariah as well. It's too bad David Cole passed away in 1995. I felt she did her best dance tunes with David Cole and Robert Clivillés.

by Anonymousreply 185October 2, 2020 3:43 PM

Mariah has given us a generous amount of remixes over the years. I liked when she would release a maxi-single in the '90s - you would get the album version, then maybe an R&B version, then a house version (usually mixed by David Morales).

Morales did some great mixes - My All, I Still Believe,etc. But sometimes I wish Mariah would have mixed it up (pun intended) with other remixers.

by Anonymousreply 186October 2, 2020 3:45 PM

Who wrote her book? She didn't.

by Anonymousreply 187October 2, 2020 3:46 PM

Mariah lost a lot of her voice when she divorced Mottola. I don't know if she started doing drugs, or what, but she suffered from unexplained vocal decline after that.

Her voice always had a break in it when she tried to use her upper belt. It always sounded painful when she went for high notes, and she even looked pained in the face. She didn't have the effortless and smooth transition between registers that Whitney, Celine and Barbra had. That's probably why her voice gave out at such an early age.

by Anonymousreply 188October 2, 2020 4:31 PM

[quote]I want a dance album from Mariah as well.

Considering the majority of her fan base these days is gay men, you would think she would have done this years ago. But she keeps doing this dated 2000’s R&B shit. And she wonders why she hasn’t had a hit in years. She never tries anything new anymore.

by Anonymousreply 189October 2, 2020 7:21 PM

R188, when she was younger, she refused to smoke or drink. But that completely changed once she divorced Mottola. And she also would do hundreds of thousands of takes of her songs with bad technique. This is bound to catch up with you at some point. I've posted this before but I don't think we saw a vocal decline like that since Marianne Faithful. But in Marianne's case, she sounded better later.

by Anonymousreply 190October 2, 2020 11:27 PM

That weird guy who says we fought over the years? I'll never change my mind about Mariah's voice or singing ability. One was exceptional, the other was barely existent. She ruined her voice in a lot of ways, but her tonality was never pleasant. She never learned to sing. Sometime it was a thrill when she sang melody in whistle register, but she only did that a few times and the rest are failed screeches. Her broken registers, her insistence that she is an Alto to get credit for her very shaky low notes....(she wants credit to have 6 octaves, ha) that terrible breathy shit with her tween girl crying outbreaks of chest belts is not really very attractive. Not to my ears. But obviously some people loved it. She never got better as a singer and lots of people do. Diana Ross, Gladys Knight, Annie Lennox, Taylor Swift and Rihanna. Kelly Clarkson and Pink. CELINE. A healthy woman's voice should be at its peak from her mid thirties to late forties. Mariah was done at 26. A lot of people love Disneyland and Strip Clubs. Fantasy. Mariah marries them well. Lambs.

by Anonymousreply 191October 3, 2020 12:13 AM

R191, you're insane. Go to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 192October 3, 2020 1:07 AM

R191 is far from insane. Who goes to sleep at 8 pm? How drunk are you R192. The ancient white fags of Datalounge are always drunk early on Fridays. Put down the bottle gramps.

by Anonymousreply 193October 3, 2020 1:14 AM

Oh sweetie, I'm not white nor ancient. A fag? Well, sure, aren't we all here at Datalounge? *shrugs*

But you are insane. Stop trying to pick a fight with me and do something productive: get some dick, write a tune, teach a class -- do something! I'm not going to engage in this conversation with you.

In the immortal words of Sweet Brown, "Ain't nobody got time for that!"

by Anonymousreply 194October 3, 2020 1:23 AM

[quote]Apparently her crackheaded sister who has AIDS offered her coke

I hope it was Diet Coke.

by Anonymousreply 195October 3, 2020 1:26 AM

Don't forget, she gave a performance in "Precious" that I consider one of the biggest oversights in terms of Academy Awards overlooking it. So lived in and perfectly executed, not easy to do. I have much respect for her since then.

by Anonymousreply 196October 3, 2020 2:14 AM

Mariah has depth. She just can't sing.

by Anonymousreply 197October 3, 2020 2:31 AM

R196, her appearance in Precious amounted to about 6 words

by Anonymousreply 198October 3, 2020 3:48 AM

Her vocal decline was quite shocking. I mean she had about six years of solid singing. Even though Butterfly is my favourite album by her, by then her voice was starting to change.

She's never been a great live performer so I always suspected she had augmentation during a lot of her performances.

by Anonymousreply 199October 3, 2020 5:31 AM

Her voice didn't last long. She was something different. This is fun for Randy Jackson and her closeness with the boys in the back. Mariah loves her background singers. "Let's try the Lift"

Even on Mariah's best day she never sang with any real lyrical meaning or phrasing - just impressive sound and passion. Whitney, Celine, Barbra and Aretha had nothing to worry about. Let Mariah have her number 1's. She's a unique talent and person. But not one of the great singers OR voices. She hits a F5# in this number and that ain't nothing. But her voice always sounds so strained and pained to me. And these were her "glory days." I don't know her much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200October 3, 2020 5:56 AM

I’m the days when everyone compared Mariah and Whitney, I’d laugh whenever I’d see Mariah sing live on TV. She had a great voice but she had no stage presence at all. Her left hand who just go up and down.

Whitney’s voice conveyed so much more emotion—- the sound made you FEEL. Mariah had none of that

by Anonymousreply 201October 3, 2020 12:25 PM

Hardly, R198. Three big scenes including a final showdown with Mo'nique and a great sense of naturalism and improv. Exactly what a Supporting Actress performance should be. I think she should have been nominated as a sort of Joan Cusack smaller role to Mo's bigger second lead. Mo still could've won no problem.

by Anonymousreply 202October 3, 2020 12:49 PM

[quote]Mariah lost a lot of her voice when she divorced Mottola. I don't know if she started doing drugs, or what, but she suffered from unexplained vocal decline after that.

Her vocal decline coincided with her mental health issues, and it's surprising to me that more people haven't made that connection. It doesn't get mentioned a lot as one of the side effects, but some anti-depressants and other psychotropic medications can fuck up your voice. She's probably had to take them on and off for many years now, and in combination with her already taxing vocal style, it was inevitable that her voice would be affected.

I used to listen to a radio show back in the late 90s/early 2000s where one of the hosts did all kinds of vocal impressions, including ones that required a falsetto voice. He went on Paxil for depression and while on it he was no longer able to do the impressions that required his full range, especially a high voice. He just couldn't get his voice to go there. That was when I started realizing what must have happened to Mariah. It's very sad.

by Anonymousreply 203October 3, 2020 1:13 PM

R203 acid reflux destroys your voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204October 3, 2020 1:34 PM

Interesting, r203. Never made that connection.

by Anonymousreply 205October 3, 2020 1:53 PM

R80 I really hope that story is true. That's how I like my celebrities, batshit crazy and entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 206October 3, 2020 2:54 PM

Mariah's vocal decline was, for me, almost as drastic as Marianne Faithfull's. But in Marianne's case, she sounded better after the change.

by Anonymousreply 207October 3, 2020 4:04 PM

She seems a lot more grounded in her interviews promoting this book than she has in the past. She seems more happy and content, too. I wonder if embracing her legacy and not being a chart chaser anymore has freed her in some way.

by Anonymousreply 208October 3, 2020 4:15 PM

Mariah has her place and she looks good and sounds grounded and focused lately. She wants her Billboard record. Maybe she actually tried to look at her life. She's seems happy being a mom. Not a regular mom, darling.

But, Mariah never recorded anything as gorgeous or amazing as THIS song or vocal. Yeah, it was overplayed, but listen up again. Spectacular singing and emotion. So tonally rich and lyrically satisfying - a hell of a song from a beautiful woman and a once great singer.

Whitney is forever my girl - there will NEVER be a voice to match hers. She stands untouched, above all the others. Beyond her material - she is the greatest voice of my time. But there were plenty of women who sang like Mariah, but better. HERE is a contralto voice with gorgeous resonance, beautiful texture, rich power and impressive range Miss Carey. And Toni can sing - build and interpret the song - it's a vocal movie. 🌹🔌❤️

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209October 4, 2020 6:07 AM

Her new album has the original "Loverboy" with the sample JLO stole. Sounds sooo much better than what she had to release

by Anonymousreply 210October 4, 2020 12:29 PM

I love that she grew up with 2 surrogate gay uncles

she's always been down with the gays without pandering

by Anonymousreply 211October 13, 2020 4:23 AM

"Loverboy" isn't a good song. Neither sample can save it.

by Anonymousreply 212October 13, 2020 4:47 AM

[Quote] But in Marianne's case, she sounded better after the change.

No she didn't.

by Anonymousreply 213October 13, 2020 4:49 AM

I love the "Loverboy" video with her at the race track parading around in skimpy shorts lol

by Anonymousreply 214October 13, 2020 5:06 AM

David LaChappelle directed it

by Anonymousreply 215October 13, 2020 5:15 AM

I thought the new "old" Loverboy sounded pretty bad. It's just not a good song overall.

by Anonymousreply 216October 13, 2020 6:20 AM

"Loverboy" was awful, and the Firecracker version is even worse, and I say that as someone who is a fan of Mariah's.

She has some nice gems on the Rarities album. Had she released "One Night" or "All I Live For" as singles rather than the dreadful "Save The Day" maybe the album would've sold more.

"All I Live For" sounds like a straight up Babyface production, the type of song Toni Braxton would've recorded back in the day. However, it was co-written and co-produced by Walter Afanasieff. It makes me wonder what other R&B songs Walter and Mariah have produced in the past that never made it on her albums. Walter certainly has more range as a producer than what the lambs like to give him credit for.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217October 14, 2020 8:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!