Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hilary Duff says she got into music because of Britney Spears

She wanted to be Britney Spears.

Gotta love how all these artists and celebs have others who they idolize. Britney idolized Janet and Madonna and then she influenced Hilary.

It’s an ongoing cycle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38Last Wednesday at 4:33 PM

As if we didn't need another reason to hate Madonna...

by Anonymousreply 109/24/2020

Disney basically saw the opportunity to make Hilary into a Britney 2.0 for tweens. She was big for a time. They did try this before with Alexz Johnson (a cute blonde girl singer) from So Weird, they tried breaking the Latino pop market with Myra and they tried making their own boy band with Youngstown who sang the ending theme for The Famous Jett Jackson though none of them were succesful. Jesse McCartney was their attempt at creating a male counterpart to Hilary AKA their Justin Timberlake and he did well for a time. The Cheetah Girls was basically Destiny's Child/TLC lite and are memorable. The Jonas Brothers and Aly & AJ were somewhat successful and can still tour. Raven, Vanessa Hudgens, Emily Osment, Mitchel Musso and Corbin Bleu all flopped like bad. Then when they started pushing Miley, Selena and Demi they actually had some real stars.

by Anonymousreply 210/17/2020

Makes perfect sense.

by Anonymousreply 310/17/2020

Her songs didn’t do that well. The next big Disney generation (Miley, Selena, Demi) have done much better than her in pop music.

by Anonymousreply 410/17/2020

Yeah Hilary was basically Britney 2.0. She even followed the same strategy. Start out all upbeat and wholesome then turned dark and sexual with Dignity. She then tried to pull a folk pop sound with Breathe In. Breathe Out. Even though Hilary cannot sing, her music is very catchy and enjoyable for what it is. Beat of My Heart and Wake Up are pure pop candy. Jesse McCartney and Aly & AJ are also my guilty pleasures.

by Anonymousreply 510/17/2020

Ashley Tisdale and Lindsay Lohan weren't signed onto Disney/Hollywood Records but their music wasn't bad either. Rumors by Lindsay Lohan and He Said, She Said by Ashley are good pop songs and would have been more successful if someone like Gwen, Britney, Fergie or Ciara had recorded them instead.

by Anonymousreply 610/17/2020

For a long time it was impossible to find a single video of Duff singing live - I was beginning to think she has a ghost singer but then finally this clip of her actually performing live appeared. She does have a very limited range but she's not entirely untalented. And she's Tebaldi compared to some other tone-deaf Disney songbirds (like Selena Gomez).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 710/17/2020

Hilary has a very tiny voice. She's like Janet, Ashanti and Kylie Minogue. Tiny baby voice that can carry a tune and sound pretty and melodious but not going to win any singing contests. Her voice is much more pleasant than Selena, Camila, Katy and Miley who give me headaches. I do find it comical that in [italic]Raise Your Voice[/italic] they tried to write Hilary to be this amazing singer.

by Anonymousreply 810/17/2020

I wonder what would have happened to Zac Efron if he took that Disney music contract like his HSM cast members did. I imagine Zac would have gotten the Hilary, Jesse and Miley treatment and given the best songwriters, producers and marketing due to how solely popular and hot he was. Even if he couldn't sing to save his life, he may have given Bieber a run for his money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 910/17/2020

More talented than Aaron Carter and Justin Bieber.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1010/17/2020

Can’t stand this girl.

by Anonymousreply 1110/17/2020

She really had her moment between 2003 and 2007. MTV and Disney Channel really loved to push her music videos. "Come Clean" was even the theme song for Laguna Beach and she was always winning #1 video of the day on TRL. But still she was of the era when most teen stars still stayed in their lane so to speak. It was when Miley, Selena, Demi and Zendaya came around that we really saw Disney stars actually become mainstream names. The guys still struggle to break into mainstream except for Shia and Zac.

by Anonymousreply 1210/17/2020

[quote] Duff once again attracted media attention in May 2020 after a thread posted by a user on Twitter claimed Duff to be sex trafficking her son. The user caused Duff to be a trending topic on Twitter for the entire day. The rumour stemmed from a since-deleted Instagram story upload by Duff back in March 2020 of her celebrating her son's birthday which involved her preparing a photo collage. One of the photographs showed her son partially nude and covered in lotion. Responding to the allegations, Duff tweeted on her Twitter account saying, "Everyone bored af right now I know..but this is actually disgusting..... whoever dreamed this one up and put this garbage into the universe should take a break from their damn phone. Maybe get a hobby". Her statement has since been retweeted more than 23,000 times, and both the Twitter and Reddit threads falsely accusing her have been deleted

This and that dead Lizzie reboot is the most press she has gotten in years. She needs to take advantage of this and release music now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1310/17/2020

R11 = Faye Dunaway

by Anonymousreply 1410/17/2020

Imagine if they did make that Bonnie & Clyde movie with Hilary Duff in it. Would Hilary actually ended up being a Hollywood A-lister for a period of time? Imagine how angry Lindsay Lohan would have been.

by Anonymousreply 1510/17/2020

Her song ‘Stranger’ - and the video - was and still is my fucking jam.

Ilove the blend of Bollywood beats and the delirious techno swirls, and it’s cool to hear Hilary doing that low smoky sinister speak-singing thing. Apparently the song was composed with the divorce of Hilary’s parents in mind.

The revenge-plot concept of the video is killer, too. And Hills looks so gorgeous, especially in the belly-dancer outfit. She can dance, we never talk about that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1610/17/2020

Mandy Moore did the quasi-Bollywood thing better with "In My Pocket".

by Anonymousreply 1710/17/2020

R4 Hilary Duff left Disney too early. Lizzie McGuire was a huge hit, as big as Hannah Montana was for Miley. As usual, money negotiations got in the way and she left after only two seasons. If she would have worked something out with Disney I think she may have been much more successful.

by Anonymousreply 1810/17/2020

I always liked LaLaine. Disney screwed her over. She apparently left Lizzie McGuire (and absent from the movie too) to film You Wish and had a record deal with Disney but they didn't promote her music at all. Just like with Raven and Christy Carlson Romano but to make it worse Lalaine didn't even get music videos. Lalaine was also signed on to do a Lizzie McGuire spin-off focused on her young sister and herself with the younger sister character being played by Selena Gomez. It got scrapped and Selena instead got cast in Wizards of Waverly Place. I still can't believe Lalaine had a meth addiction. She seems to be doing well now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1910/17/2020

Who?

🙄🤔

by Anonymousreply 2010/17/2020

R20 Hilary Duff. She was my generation’s equivalent of Annette Funicello.

by Anonymousreply 2110/17/2020

Who’s Annette Funicello? Maybe sh was my generation’s Olivia Newton John?

Can Duff actually sing?

by Anonymousreply 2210/17/2020

They have been doing this for decades. Giving a teen actor a music career. Britney, Christina, JC and Justin were all on The Mickey Mouse Club as kids and became popular singers in the late 90s. Then in the days of ancient past, Annette Funicello, Ricky Nelson, Paul Peterson and Frankie Avalon. In the 1970s and 1980s, The Brady Bunch Kids and The Partridge Family, Shaun Cassidy, Leif Garret, Scott Baio, Janet Jackson, Alyssa Milano, Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan. The 90s had Jennifer Lopez, Joey Lawrence, Mila Jovavitch, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Tatyana Ali and Alanis Morisette.

by Anonymousreply 2310/17/2020

[Quote] She even followed the same strategy. Start out all upbeat and wholesome then turned dark and sexual with Dignity.

I like Reach Out but the video is awkward. Her attempts at being sexy just didn't work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2410/17/2020

R24 That video must have been filmed during her veneer disaster era, because her teeth look huge in it. Luckily she had those things fixed later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2510/17/2020

R19 LaLaine is so pretty, and seems like a cool woman now she’s grown. I had a crush on her as a babydyke watching LIZZIE.

by Anonymousreply 26Last Sunday at 2:58 AM

R16

Cultural appropriation! Thief!

by Anonymousreply 27Last Sunday at 4:27 AM

So much of the Early 2000s teen music scene is documented on GapKids In-Store Playlists, of which I have several from 2001-2005 on my blog.

On the April 2005 GapKids playlist, Hilary has "Sweet Sixteen" and "Working It Out." On January 2005, she has "I Am" and "Shine." For the December 2005 GapKids playlist, Hilary had THREE songs: "Wake Up," "Why Not," and "Santa Claus (NorthPole Mix)!"

So many of the artists mentioned in this thread were GapKids staples, even the ones who never caught on, like Myra.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28Last Sunday at 4:40 AM

Myra had songs on the August and September 2001 GapKids In-Store Playlists, like "Candy Boy," "25 Hours A Day," and "Where You At."

She was on many GapKids playlists but she never really made it to mainstream radio airplay in the USA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29Last Sunday at 4:43 AM

LaLaine at R19 also had a brief GapKids run around 2004-2005.

The May 2005 GapKids In-Store Playlist has LaLaine's "If You Wanna Rock" and "You Wish."

And Hilary is on there, too, with "The Math" and "Mr. James Dean!"

Plus Christy Carlson Romano, Jesse McCartney, Youngstown, Cheetah Girls, Angela Ammons, Gay Billy Gilman, and DL Legendary Fave, Aaron Carter!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30Last Sunday at 4:51 AM

I really should put more of the GapKids In-Store Playlists on my Spotify. Unfortunately, many of the artists are not represented well on Spotify.

Here's September 2001:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31Last Sunday at 4:55 AM

The March 2004 GapKids In-Store Playlist is a great sampling of the era, with songs by Mandy Moore, Raven-Symoné, Youngstown, Amanda, Nick Carter, Christina Milian, Angela Ammons, and DL Legendary Fave, Aaron Carter!

Listen to it on Spotify!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32Last Sunday at 4:59 AM

I've always felt Hilary's dance-pop music career could have continued on. She could have been the American Kylie Minogue or something. But I get that she took breaks to focus on raising her kids, she got knocked up pretty early. She's only 33.

by Anonymousreply 33Last Tuesday at 6:53 PM

Yes OP, it's a vicious unrelenting cycle...

by Anonymousreply 34Last Tuesday at 7:13 PM

Raven Symone released some music last year. It's not bad at all. It's alternative R&B/neo-soul if you're into that. We need more lesbian pop/R&B music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35Last Tuesday at 7:31 PM

I got into acting because of Suzanne Somers!

by Anonymousreply 36Last Tuesday at 11:42 PM

Hilary is more like a 21st century Maureen McCormick. Pretty, blonde, sweet, happy and wholesome with a sing-song voice. Her TV brother Christopher Knight was like the Shia LaBeouf of the 1970s. They even tried to make them into singers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37Last Wednesday at 4:23 PM

Acting and singing talent were not the two reasons we hired Annette.

by Anonymousreply 38Last Wednesday at 4:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!