Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

My theory about the under 25 is confirmed

I have long suspected that some sort of transition occurs when one ages to 25. That is the age where, in addition to car insurance rates dropping considerably, a young man realizes that they do not, in fact, know everything, and elders actually DO have some knowledge about the world that the under-25 youths ignore at their peril.

I'm not a biology graduate, so I was recently surprised to learn from one that the prefrontal cortex of the brain does not fully develop and mature until age 25, which seems to confirm my hypothesis.

[quote]The development and maturation of the prefrontal cortex occurs primarily during adolescence and is fully accomplished at the age of 25 years. The development of the prefrontal cortex is very important for complex behavioral performance, as this region of the brain helps accomplish executive brain functions.

In conclusion, why do we allow the under 25 to vote or drive cars, again? Universities should be expanded to require eight-year degrees for any subject, to encourage young people to remain cloistered and learning away from the rest of society, until their brains have fully matured.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 25, 2020 3:48 PM

It's called executive function. It's the ability to plan, attack problems in steps and perhaps most importantly, to imagine the future and anticipate the results of one's actions, exerting self-control when one understands the consequences are not going to be ideal.

This is why children should not be tried as adults. They do not fully comprehend the consequences of their actions and behave impulsively without thinking about the mess tgey are making.

Some people never develop executive function and remain impulsive.

by Anonymousreply 1September 24, 2020 2:05 PM

I thought this was another old thread being bumped. OP, that 25 years figure has been known for a while.

by Anonymousreply 2September 24, 2020 2:08 PM

Do some people never achieve executive functioning? Because I know plenty of old frogs that can barely tie their shoes.

by Anonymousreply 3September 24, 2020 2:16 PM

R2 yes, it's new to me, though. I had based my assumption originally based on my own personal experience and observations of others. It seemed that when I turned 25 I realized that others knew things too.

by Anonymousreply 4September 24, 2020 2:16 PM

OK gramps...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 24, 2020 2:17 PM

That's why every 18-year-old in the US should be drafted into the military or the Peace Corps.

by Anonymousreply 6September 24, 2020 2:19 PM

R6 I agree. They need discipline, like r5.

by Anonymousreply 7September 24, 2020 2:20 PM

I'm [bold]51[/bold] R7.

I'm just fed up to the back teeth (which I still have unlike you) with the continual old versus young horseshit flame wars.

You're both cunts. Just accept it and move on.

by Anonymousreply 8September 24, 2020 2:24 PM

stupid post by a bitter old man

by Anonymousreply 9September 24, 2020 2:37 PM

I'm 22 and more successful and rich than most old people I know, now what?

by Anonymousreply 10September 24, 2020 2:39 PM

Now what?

Post a pic of your cock R10.

by Anonymousreply 11September 24, 2020 3:54 PM

Let's look at r9's contributions to the DL:

I have a theory that people born at night are evil

I was born at in the afternoon and I'm a great person but my brother was born at midnight and he is terrible

WHY are people stills using iphone 6s?

The iphone 11 isn't even $700, come on now.

Is your ass fat?

Mine is so big and juicy that I have to have my underwear specially made, the rest of my body isn't fat tho! My theory about the under 25 is confirmed

stupid post by a bitter old man

My theory about the under 25 is confirmed

I'm 22 and more successful and rich than most old people I know, now what?

What happened to dalmatians?

I haven't seen one in a long time........

Afraid of hot water

Ever since I was a child I've been afraid of hot water........I refuse to get anywhere near it and if it touches me I have a panic attack. My lover tried to get my to take a hot shower with him last night and I just left his house and said nothing.

Stunning Supermodel Gigi Hadid gives birth

I love to see beautiful people breed

Which 2021 luxury vehicle should I buy?

Every year I buy a new luxury vehicle, which one should I get this year?

MY ASS IS BLEEDING

HELP

by Anonymousreply 12September 24, 2020 11:13 PM

^ clearly r9 should have voting rights, his brain seems super developed and mature!

by Anonymousreply 13September 24, 2020 11:14 PM

R8 I realize that you may think, in your apparent dotage, that any post pointing out differences in certain ages is somehow specifically designed to offend you, but I assure you, it's not.

by Anonymousreply 14September 24, 2020 11:15 PM

Gasp!

by Anonymousreply 15September 25, 2020 5:11 AM

Age doesn’t denote maturity. The fact that you didn’t feel like a mentally capable adult until your mid-20s is more so indicative of your upbringing and environment and not necessarily due tos a lack of your physical development. If the Under 25 are not yet ready to drive or vote on their own, then we shouldn’t be forcing them into 8-year university programs either. What about the ones that don’t go to university? A college education isn’t mandated by law. Since they’re so underdeveloped, they probably shouldn’t be applying for jobs or loans or houses/apartments. They can’t be held accountable for criminal activity if they didn’t know better. They also shouldn’t be allowed to marry or have children or pursue any serious relationships. So, in OP’s world, a child is a child until the age of 25. Until then, they should be under the care and support of an adult who can make the tough decisions that they can’t. *eyeroll*

by Anonymousreply 16September 25, 2020 5:58 AM

Yes, OP. This is why we use psychologists and neuropsychiatrists in sentencing especially in youth sentencing. One of my favorite experts was a neuropsychiatrist from Georgetown University who used to travel all over the US testifying in death penalty cases. Even though the Supreme Court finally ruled that juveniles (under 18) cannot receive the death penalty he would still testify for youth offenders in their early 20s. We have recently expanded our youth act sentencing statute from age 22 to cover those up to age 25.

They will do a full work up including an MRI. Some judges have at times been loathe to approve payment for the MRIs. Why do you need THAT?

Here is the SCOTUS decision:

By a vote of 5-4, the U.S. Supreme Court held in Roper v. Simmons (2005) that the Eighth Amendment forbids the execution of offenders who were under the age of 18 when their crimes were committed. In making its decision, the Court considered both the national consensus that existed against the practice and testimony of professional medical and psychological organizations citing new evidence of delayed brain maturation that impacts culpability determinations for juveniles.

The Court’s ruling in Roper v. Simmons affected 72 juvenile offenders in 12 states.

by Anonymousreply 17September 25, 2020 6:22 AM

R16 My evidence was personal and anecdotal, yes, but it is reinforced by the fact that the prefrontal cortex doesn't mature fully until age 25. Insurance companies drop rates for men at age 25 as well, which is another flag, meaning they have statistics that show men are more responsible and mature at 25+.

R17 that is good. I don't think they should be tried as adults, either, without the type of evaluation you described.

by Anonymousreply 18September 25, 2020 3:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!