Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Theatre Gossip #403 - "Catch Our Act at the Met... In 2021! (Hopefully)"

Ease up on the spamming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600October 14, 2020 10:33 PM

Was the spam lyric especially for London?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 23, 2020 7:50 PM

Cha Cha Julie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 23, 2020 7:53 PM

Did anyone see this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 23, 2020 8:30 PM

Bump for Usher Applause!

by Anonymousreply 4September 28, 2020 10:31 PM

2020 Tony Award nominations preview: A slew of critically acclaimed plays take aim at top Broadway honors:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 28, 2020 11:08 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 6September 29, 2020 12:19 PM

From the last thread: What is the best 11 o'clock number?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 29, 2020 12:39 PM

Not to dwell, but from the last thread: here's Ann absolutely stepping on Bebe's right foot in the 1997 Chicago Tony Awards performance. It throws Ann slightly off-balance, but she recovers quickly and shoots a glance at Bebe, who probably screamed at her as soon as they got offstage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 29, 2020 1:31 PM

Ann seemed to be having so much fun in the Encores b-roll. Why did she take such a different approach on Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 9September 29, 2020 1:35 PM

Not an 11 o'clock number but an 8 o'clock one: Thanks heaps to whoever posted the video of the National Theatre's Carousel Waltz in the last thread. I saw that production at Lincoln Center, and it completely changed my mind about the show, which I'd been largely indifferent to before (blame Bustin' June and the Real Nice Clambake). Never mind the blurriness, it was great to see that opening again. (I may have teared up a little when the carousel appeared, even though I knew it was coming.) I'd love to know how long it took to rehearse that opening as there were so many (literal) moving parts -- surely it alone took up a whole day of tech.

Also: It's nice to be able to post in the Theatre Gossip thread again -- #402 was paywalled for far too long.

by Anonymousreply 10September 29, 2020 8:38 PM

[Quote] #402 was paywalled for far too long.

Spamming the thread actually kills it, rather than giving it a bump.

by Anonymousreply 11September 29, 2020 8:47 PM

R11 What do you mean, spamming the thread?

by Anonymousreply 12September 29, 2020 8:51 PM

R8: she must’ve learned it from one of the orphans from [italic]Annie[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 13September 29, 2020 8:54 PM

[Quote] What do you mean, spamming the thread?

Well, there's a well intentioned poster who posts video after video (I don't mean the person sharing links to NT Live etc. broadcast) in a short time when the thread gets slow. Muriel paywalls threads when that happens. It happened quite early last thread, I think around the 400 mark.

by Anonymousreply 14September 29, 2020 8:56 PM

So glad to have a new, un-paywalled thread so I can ask Our Valens if he has a capture of the Renée Fleming/ Vanessa Williams Kennedy Center concert.

by Anonymousreply 15September 29, 2020 8:57 PM

R14 Thanks. R15 Fuck, am still trying to find the solo Renee concert, so shall post both when I find them x

by Anonymousreply 16September 29, 2020 9:07 PM

WE SEE YOU, WHITE PAYWALL

by Anonymousreply 17September 29, 2020 9:25 PM

[Quote] WE SEE YOU, WHITE PAYWALL

You liked your own goddamned post, didn't you?

by Anonymousreply 18September 29, 2020 9:26 PM

The greatest eleven o'clock number "Rose's Turn."

R9, Reinking was on a podcast recently and talked about replacing an unannounced star (Liza?) in the Encores concert shortly before rehearsals began. Perhaps adrenaline and relying on instincts created a different performance than one with an extended rehearsal period?

by Anonymousreply 19September 29, 2020 9:27 PM

R18 uh, no.

by Anonymousreply 20September 29, 2020 9:29 PM

Reinking was in complete control here. I don't think she was relying on adrenaline or quick decisions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 29, 2020 9:40 PM

In contrast, it feels like she imposes a characterization on Roxie here. And she's too damn butch. It's almost like she should be playing the monologue with a big cigar. (That's partly why Bebe and Chita were wrong for Roxie. Both have a touch of butch.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 29, 2020 9:42 PM

11:00 number. " Sit Down......"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 29, 2020 9:52 PM

Eleven o'clock number. Despite the terrible choreography, " Brotherhood of Man."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 29, 2020 9:55 PM

Reinking did an excellent Gwen Verdon impersonation when she took over opposite DL fave Lenora Nemetz -- with Jerry Orbach still in the show -- toward the end of the run of the original "Chicago". There seem to be a certain number of dancers and dance teachers who kind of affected the way Gwen talked; I don't know why. She was the original, and the biggest star female dancer.

by Anonymousreply 25September 29, 2020 9:56 PM

Is Merle Louise still around? Always loved her, she was wonderfully daffy and had/has an extremely full life away from the theatre

by Anonymousreply 26September 29, 2020 9:59 PM

Various "Rose's Turn". Who's your favorite?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 29, 2020 10:01 PM

So wild to see JK Simmons in that Guys & Dolls clip. I love that song, if not necessarily that production. It was classic Jerry Zaks; loud, funny, fast and one-note.

by Anonymousreply 28September 29, 2020 10:08 PM

R16 You always come through for us!

by Anonymousreply 29September 29, 2020 10:09 PM

And r23 and r24 are both from Frank Loesser shows.

by Anonymousreply 30September 29, 2020 10:30 PM

Loesser is boetter at 11 o'clock numbers than most.

by Anonymousreply 31September 29, 2020 10:34 PM

For the Rose's Turn video, I like Tyne.

by Anonymousreply 32September 29, 2020 10:35 PM

Sit Down You're Rockin The Boat is not in any way an Eleven O'Clock Number.

Marry the Man Today is not exactly one either but it is closer.

Usually an Eleven O'Clock number is a solo. Usually emotional---often a turning point.

Looking for info, I see Wikipedia is way off on this one. The link below is closer to a traditional interpretation of what this term means.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 29, 2020 10:53 PM

Foe those who missed it on the last thread due to the playwall. That threads' Follies...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 29, 2020 11:14 PM

Pipeline.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 29, 2020 11:15 PM

Do we like Opera?

Elektra.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 29, 2020 11:17 PM

WE SEE YOU WHITE ELEKTRA

by Anonymousreply 37September 30, 2020 12:18 AM

Does anyone have "The Day I Stood Still" by Kevin Elyot?

by Anonymousreply 38September 30, 2020 12:39 AM

How many two handers and solo shows will come to Broadway when this is over? A lot, I would guess.

by Anonymousreply 39September 30, 2020 12:41 AM

[quote]How many two handers and solo shows will come to Broadway when this is over? A lot, I would guess.

Hugh Jackman and Sutton Foster may have to give up on "The Music Man" and instead revive "I Do! I Do!"

by Anonymousreply 40September 30, 2020 12:48 AM

[quote]Usually an Eleven O'Clock number is a solo. Usually emotional---often a turning point.

I don't believe I've ever heard that definition before. My understanding of an 11 o'clock number is it's any number that happens very late in the show, almost towards the end, and is a huge audience-pleaser for whatever reason.

by Anonymousreply 41September 30, 2020 1:01 AM

R41, read the link above. It gives a more traditional definition. If you went to BMI or any of the musical development program you would hear Rose's Turn, Being Alive, Memory, Cabaret, What I Did for Love. The impact comes from the communion of singer and audience without depending on production elements or chorus.

I like the way Michael Musto described it: "An 11 o’clock number is a song that comes toward the very end of a Broadway musical, when a leading character has a fit of emotion and pours it out in music."

The idiots on ATC and Broadway World have eroded the meaning over the last twenty years.

by Anonymousreply 42September 30, 2020 1:53 AM

So "The Miller's Son" isn't an 11 0'Clock number to Musto.

by Anonymousreply 43September 30, 2020 1:58 AM

By that definition, Send in the Clowns is the eleven o'clock number from Night Music.

Ever notice that Charlotte, Anne, and Henrik don't sing a note in the second act? They should have kept Two Fairy Tales

by Anonymousreply 44September 30, 2020 2:00 AM

I go back more than 20 years ago and always thought of it in terms of R41. Either solo or production number to get that about to slumber audience roused so they can get themselves home to the suburbs. Remember musicals started at 8:30 and could often be 3 hours. The audience members needed to be kept awake to see the end of the show and not be thinking that they had to get up early for work the next day.

by Anonymousreply 45September 30, 2020 2:08 AM

The best Hot Honey Rag was Mariette Hartley and Gretchen Wyler. That was something to see. Fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 46September 30, 2020 2:17 AM

In the 30s and 40s and even into the 50s, the 11 oclock number was usually by a character who was not central. But R&H really shifted the genre to a tighter focus and the number started going to a central character.

Memory is kind of old fashioned. Grizabella has no solo lines until Memory. This would have been more common in the past, but in the 80s it was a throwback.

by Anonymousreply 47September 30, 2020 2:24 AM

R46 apparently they won some kind of shared award for it!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 30, 2020 2:50 AM

I heard Mariette would always step on Gretch's foot during the Rag. Naughty Mariette.

by Anonymousreply 49September 30, 2020 2:52 AM

And I Am Telling You... is the 11 o'clock number to end all 11 o'clock numbers but it doesn't really qualify because it is at the end of the first act instead of right before the end of the show. Other than its placement, it is the quintessential 11 o'clock number.

by Anonymousreply 50September 30, 2020 3:07 AM

I saw the original production of Dreamgirls the night after the Tonys. Holliday didn't stop screaming, the audience didn't stop screaming and I was thinking why are all these people screaming?

by Anonymousreply 51September 30, 2020 4:08 AM

A young (and rather chunky) Bernie in DAMES AT SEA in 1973.

Still adorable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52September 30, 2020 4:09 AM

[quote]And I Am Telling You... is the 11 o'clock number to end all 11 o'clock numbers but it doesn't really qualify because it is at the end of the first act instead of right before the end of the show. Other than its placement, it is the quintessential 11 o'clock number.

That's a very odd statement, since the term makes it clear that it's all about placement. An exciting number that comes anywhere else in the show but towards the very end is not an "11 o'clock number," it's just a really exciting number, sometimes called a show stopper depending on how big a hit it is with the audience.

And NEVER till till thread have I heard or read the definition that an 11 o'clock number can't be a production number and has to be a solo.

by Anonymousreply 53September 30, 2020 4:41 AM

R46, Gretchen Wyler was Lauren Bacall's understudy in Applause, but she never went on.

Carol Lawrence was Bacall's understudy in Waiting in the Wings, but she never went on either.

by Anonymousreply 54September 30, 2020 5:36 AM

R46 Bacall also never missed a performance of "Woman of the Year." I did, however, get to see DL favorite Louise Troy go on for Debbie Reynolds when Debbie collapsed. (Debbie was the third "Woman of the Year," following Bacall and Raquel.)

by Anonymousreply 55September 30, 2020 5:59 AM

Encoresh!

by Anonymousreply 56September 30, 2020 6:03 AM

Interesting that not a single 11 o'clock number I've seen proposed so far by anybody is by Rodgers & Hammerstein.

(And while we're here, "What I Did for Love".)

by Anonymousreply 57September 30, 2020 6:04 AM

[quote]Bacall also never missed a performance of "Woman of the Year." I did, however.

Sums it up quite well.

by Anonymousreply 58September 30, 2020 6:11 AM

A tepid, failed 11 o'clock number "All of My Life" in "Do Re Mi" tries to be a dramatic male version of "Rose's Turn" for Phil Silvers' character, but it's too dramatic in a musical comedy and doesn't really work. It didn't really work when Nathan Lane did it at Encores either. The rest of the score is pretty fine, though.

by Anonymousreply 59September 30, 2020 6:11 AM

[quote] Interesting that not a single 11 o'clock number I've seen proposed so far by anybody is by Rodgers & Hammerstein.

How would "You'll Never Walk Alone" sound when performed by a woman in a wheelchair?

by Anonymousreply 60September 30, 2020 6:23 AM

[quote]I’m also betting that Adam Rapp grabs a slot for “The Sound Inside.” He’s won acclaim for years Off-Broadway, and nominators will be eager to highlight his Broadway debut.

Doesn't this statement sorta rewrite history? The only thing I seem to recall about Adam Rapp's career off-Broadway was that his plays were often reviled by critics. (IIRC, Charles Isherwood even once declared that he never wanted to review any of Rapp's plays ever again.) But now, thanks to "The Sound Inside," they're making it sound as if he was this undiscovered gem who's finally garnering the recognition he deserves. So which is true?

by Anonymousreply 61September 30, 2020 6:39 AM

R53, this may be a pre-1980s definition.

I have heard it described as the bookend to the "I want" song. That tells you where the main character wants to go. The 11:00 number tells you how pursuing that want changed them.

It is a bit surprising to see production numbers described as 11 O'clock numbers. Back in the day, when I was involved in musicals that was just understood to be something different. It is like the time a housepainter told me that green was a warm color. It is just not anything I ever expected to hear.

by Anonymousreply 62September 30, 2020 12:13 PM

r60=Jerry Lewis

by Anonymousreply 63September 30, 2020 12:37 PM

I don't know how Jerry Lewis couldn't see the irony of ending a Muscular Distrophy telethon, in front of many children in crutches and wheelchairs, and continued to sing his heart out "You'll Never Walk Alone"! He did this for years and years. I'm surprised those kids weren't bawling at this on camera. One of them should have smacked him.

by Anonymousreply 64September 30, 2020 2:13 PM

That's because just singing the more appropriate "You'll never walk" doesn't fit in with the music.

by Anonymousreply 65September 30, 2020 2:56 PM

What about amending the lyric to "You'll never walk anon" or is that too old-timey?

by Anonymousreply 66September 30, 2020 3:01 PM

Maybe "You'll never walk again." It needs to be two syllables. "You'll never walk at all?"

by Anonymousreply 67September 30, 2020 3:05 PM

I wonder if two of Jerry’s Kids did the Hot Honey Rag that they would warrant mid-song applause?

by Anonymousreply 68September 30, 2020 3:08 PM

What about "Climb Ev'ry Mountain"? That would be even more of a feat under those circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 69September 30, 2020 3:11 PM

We can't walk but we can cartwheel!

by Anonymousreply 70September 30, 2020 3:12 PM

[quote]I don't know how Jerry Lewis couldn't see the irony of ending a Muscular Distrophy telethon, in front of many children in crutches and wheelchairs, and continued to sing his heart out "You'll Never Walk Alone"!

Over the years, I've heard some people make this childish, tasteless joke. Maybe the truth is that Lewis assumed or hoped that his audience was smart and mature enough to understand the lyrics of the song as a metaphor -- which they are even in the original context of CAROUSEL -- rather than being literally about "walking."

P.S. It's "dystrophy:"

by Anonymousreply 71September 30, 2020 3:12 PM

Yuck. Metaphors are so 1992. 2020 is all about mind-numbing literalism.

by Anonymousreply 72September 30, 2020 3:13 PM

You'll Never Wet This Ass Pussy!

by Anonymousreply 73September 30, 2020 3:17 PM

Cardi B should have taken Taylor Swift's place in the [italic]Cats[/italic] movie. It still wouldn't be a good movie, but at least it might have sucked in a more interesting way.

by Anonymousreply 74September 30, 2020 3:19 PM

"We Are The Children of Metropolis" -- Judy Kuhn

by Anonymousreply 75September 30, 2020 3:30 PM

You are correct R45. Shows used to let out at 11:30 or thereabouts. That's why the number was called 11 o'clock. It came just about 15 or 20 minutes before the end of the show, usually as noted above, to rouse the audience and show off most of the company once more before the principals and supporting actors took over and finished up the story. Think "Get Me To The Church on Time" coming just before Higgins takes over for his final solo; "Sit Down, You're Rocking the Boat"; "Join the Circus" (Barnum), etc. Many shows opt to showcase either the principals or secondary characters, but the point is still to give the audience a bit of a break from the dramatic tension before the resolution of the story. Examples: "Buddy Beware" (Anything Goes); "My Mother's Wedding Day" (Brigadoon); "You're Just in Love" (Call Me Madam); "What Do The Simple Folk Do?" (Camelot); "Beggars at the Feast" (Les Miz). It's a little calm before the storm. The defining factors are not whether the number is big and splashy or an intimate solo or duet. It is the purpose it serves and its placement in the show.

""You've Got To Have A Gimmick" is the eleven o'clock number in Gypsy, NOT Rose's Turn, which is the climax and final number in the show.

by Anonymousreply 76September 30, 2020 3:57 PM

The 11 o'clock number was always the big rousing number before the finale. "Oklahoma" is the quintessential 11 o'clock song.( In fact, ANKLES AWEIGH actually has an 11 o'clock number called "An 11 O'Clock Song.) It wasn't till Gypsy that it changed to be a dramatic song sung as a solo.

by Anonymousreply 77September 30, 2020 3:58 PM

"I'm Going Back" was written specifically as an 11 o'clock number for Judy Holliday in "Bells Are Ringing" either out of town or in previews, where it was needed since apparently without it Sydney Chaplin was stealing the show. He must have been pretty good and also very hot, despite his Gertrude Lawrence-vocal unsteadiness on the OCR (and "Subways are For Sleeping" and "Funny Girl"), since he won the Best Supporting Tony in 1956 (in the year of "My Fair Lady", considered probably the most Golden Year of the Musical); Judy also ended up winning Best Actress over Julie Andrews.

by Anonymousreply 78September 30, 2020 4:19 PM

[quote]You are correct [R45]. Shows used to let out at 11:30 or thereabouts. That's why the number was called 11 o'clock. It came just about 15 or 20 minutes before the end of the show, usually as noted above, to rouse the audience and show off most of the company once more before the principals and supporting actors took over and finished up the story. Think "Get Me To The Church on Time" coming just before Higgins takes over for his final solo; "Sit Down, You're Rocking the Boat"; "Join the Circus" (Barnum), etc. Many shows opt to showcase either the principals or secondary characters, but the point is still to give the audience a bit of a break from the dramatic tension before the resolution of the story. Examples: "Buddy Beware" (Anything Goes); "My Mother's Wedding Day" (Brigadoon); "You're Just in Love" (Call Me Madam); "What Do The Simple Folk Do?" (Camelot); "Beggars at the Feast" (Les Miz). It's a little calm before the storm. The defining factors are not whether the number is big and splashy or an intimate solo or duet. It is the purpose it serves and its placement in the show.

I basically agree with you, and thanks for explaining, but several of your examples come way too early in the second acts of those shows to qualify as 11'o'clock numbers. The term specifically and very clearly refers to placement of the number shortly before the end of the show -- often the penultimate number, or perhaps the one before that. "Get Me To The Church on Time" would be a perfect example of an 11 o'clock number if it occurred a little later in Act II, but as it is, there are three full songs -- and probably about 45 minutes total running time of the show -- after it, so I really don't think that's a good example.

[quote]""You've Got To Have A Gimmick" is the eleven o'clock number in Gypsy, NOT Rose's Turn, which is the climax and final number in the show.

I agree that "Rose's Turn" is not the 11'o'clock number in GYPSY, but I don't think "Gimmick" is either, because -- again -- it comes too soon in the act. If anything, the "Let Me Entertain You" strip sequence is that show's 11 o'clock number. For the umpteenth time, people: An exciting, rousing number that comes any earlier than in the final half-hour or so of a show cannot and should not be called an 11 o'clock number, no matter how rousing and exciting it is, because the original and actual meaning of "11 o'clock number" is quite specific in terms of placement.

[quote]"Oklahoma" is the quintessential 11 o'clock song.

Excellent example.

[quote]"I'm Going Back" was written specifically as an 11 o'clock number for Judy Holliday in "Bells Are Ringing" either out of town or in previews, where it was needed since apparently without it Sydney Chaplin was stealing the show

I have never read or heard that reason for "I'm Going Back" having been written. First of all, Judy was the star of the show, and I'm sure the writers felt from the beginning that she needed some sort of a big, rousing final number. If she didn't have that number in that slot, her final song would be "The Party's Over," which comes about half an hour or more before the end of the show. It's a beautiful song but not of the type you would want to be your star's final number. Also, though I'm sure Sydney Chaplin was charming and funny and great in BELLS ARE RINGING despite his deficiencies as a singer, his role was really not the sort in which anyone can "steal the show."

by Anonymousreply 79September 30, 2020 5:12 PM

Ghosts with Leslie Manville.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80September 30, 2020 6:06 PM

Oklahoma at the Proms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81September 30, 2020 6:07 PM

Jerome Robbins - Cock Sucker?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82September 30, 2020 6:08 PM

"Well darling, I really wouldn't know. He's never sucked my cock.”

by Anonymousreply 83September 30, 2020 6:24 PM

I've read that the writers (who were, of course, great friends of Judy's) felt they needed something socko for towards the end of the show. Sydney was supposed to have been really good in the show, and it was felt there was an inbalance in their impact by the middle to end of the 2nd act. That's why "I'm Going Back" was written to give the star 'last licks" impact, which it did.

by Anonymousreply 84September 30, 2020 6:27 PM

[quote]"I'm Going Back" was written specifically as an 11 o'clock number for Judy Holliday in "Bells Are Ringing" either out of town or in previews, where it was needed since apparently without it Sydney Chaplin was stealing the show.

I find it very hard to believe that Sydney Chaplin could have been "stealing the show" from the gifted and charming Judy Holliday in a musical that was specifically written for her and tailored to her talents.

by Anonymousreply 85September 30, 2020 6:28 PM

He was making a big impact, and apparently a bigger impact than they wanted, thus the creators fixed the show by giving Judy Holliday a big 11 o'clock number. Both won Tonys - she for Best Actress, he for Supporting, so it worked out- plus they were dating/lovers for a while. But strangely, Sydney's dad Charlie, didn't like Judy. Perhaps he felt she was too much like a female Charlie Chaplin for comfort.

by Anonymousreply 86September 30, 2020 6:38 PM

I'm on Charlie's side. I find Judy Holliday to be shrill, one note and overrated.

by Anonymousreply 87September 30, 2020 6:42 PM

Team Judy here. Wonderful actress -- funny with real sentiment and heart. Things that had been used to describe Charlie. While Charlie's impact was mostly in silents (and his films were wonderful), Judy did them with great scripts by the likes of Garson Kanin and Comden and Green, and directors like Jerome Robbins, George Cukor and Vincent Minnelli.

by Anonymousreply 88September 30, 2020 6:46 PM

Doesn't FOLLIES win because it has *4 count 'em 4* 11:00 numbers?

by Anonymousreply 89September 30, 2020 9:07 PM

The audience was so old that they had to wake them up four times.

by Anonymousreply 90September 30, 2020 9:30 PM

Surprised no one has mentioned “Superstar” from JCS. Certainly, the post-film addition of “You Must Love Me” to EVITA fits the bill as well. And while discussing ALW, “Unexpected Song” should be on the list, as well.

by Anonymousreply 91September 30, 2020 9:31 PM

Does "Back to Before" qualify as an 11 o'clock number, or if not -- "Make Them Hear You"? ("Ragtime," for you youngsters.)

by Anonymousreply 92September 30, 2020 9:34 PM

In A Chorus Line is "What I Did For Love" the 11 o'clock number or the spangled "One"?

by Anonymousreply 93September 30, 2020 9:35 PM

Whar I Did for Love is the 11 oclock Number.

by Anonymousreply 94September 30, 2020 10:28 PM

A most obvious (and effective) one...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95September 30, 2020 10:30 PM

Not quite the Hot Honey Rag. But... almost.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96September 30, 2020 10:40 PM

Is this an 11:00 number or a finale?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97September 30, 2020 10:43 PM

Only it’s not the 11 o’clock number. The 11 o’clock number in Mame is”That’s How Young I Feel.”

by Anonymousreply 98September 30, 2020 10:44 PM

"You Can't Stop the Beat" is really a finale.

by Anonymousreply 99September 30, 2020 10:46 PM

I disagree, r98. Walked is Mame's big solo number near the end.

by Anonymousreply 100September 30, 2020 10:51 PM

[quote]Certainly, the post-film addition of “You Must Love Me” to EVITA fits the bill as well.

In the original stage version, would the "Montage" (which didn't make it into the film) be considered the 11 o'clock number? It's quite rousing and features the entire company.

by Anonymousreply 101October 1, 2020 12:17 AM

For fuck's sake, the 11 o'clock number wasn't there to "wake people up". If your show needs a song to wake people up, then you have a shitty show. It's there to have a main character(s) express that they've finally figured out how to solve the problems in their life that have been holding them back (and thus creating the drama and plot of the show you've been watching for 2 and a half hours). It's there to start wrapping up the story and segue into the finale though sometimes the 11 o'clock song can BE the finale.

"Gotta Have a Gimmick" is not an 11 o'clock number. It's a fun comic number sung by minor characters in the show.

by Anonymousreply 102October 1, 2020 12:24 AM

I think people are getting carried away. There is no rule about 11 o'clock numbers. Many shows do not have them and as I said before, they have changed over the years. Oklahoma had one, but Carousel did not. Musicals no longer follow the same pattern that they did in the 30's and 40's, when it was presumed that you had a big next to cloing number. And before that, Vaudeville had the same thinking. ("Next to closing on the bill" was the dreamed of slot.)

by Anonymousreply 103October 1, 2020 12:24 AM

Who greyed out this thread?

by Anonymousreply 104October 1, 2020 12:31 AM

I think "Eva's Final Broadcast" is EVITA's 11 o'clock number.

by Anonymousreply 105October 1, 2020 1:03 AM

"For fuck's sake, the 11 o'clock number wasn't there to "wake people up". If your show needs a song to wake people up, then you have a shitty show."

Au contraire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106October 1, 2020 1:32 AM

R103, vaudeville was different. Second to the last would be more equivalent of a finale. The last act in vaudeville would be a haircut act. The point was to be to be so bad as to drive people out of the theater, to provide empty seats for the next show. (It was called a haircut act because it would play to the haircut rather than the face.)

Theater did not have continuous shows and did not encourage to audiences to walk out before the show was over.

by Anonymousreply 107October 1, 2020 1:41 AM

Dolores Gray was insistent that she get the third number in "Two on the Aisle."

by Anonymousreply 108October 1, 2020 1:45 AM

Why did this OP start the thread on the 23rd? To stop anyone else from doing it? The other #493 has a better title.

by Anonymousreply 109October 1, 2020 2:45 AM

[quote]There is no rule about 11 o'clock numbers.

There are two rules regarding an11 o'clock number: It HAS to come very close to the end of the show, and it has to be a big hit with the audience, whether it's a solo number, a duet, a trio, an ensemble number, a production number, whatever. For the last time, a number that comes more than a half hour or so before the end of a show cannot, by definition, be an 11 o'clock number, even it it's a show stopper.

[quote]He was making a big impact, and apparently a bigger impact than they wanted, thus the creators fixed the show by giving Judy Holliday a big 11 o'clock number.

What I'm saying is, regardless of whatever level of impact Chaplin was having with audiences, I'm sure the creators must have had it in mind from the beginning that they would write some sort of a big, 11 o'clock number for Holliday from the beginning. They would never have thought it would be fine to have "The Party's Over" be her last number in the show.

by Anonymousreply 110October 1, 2020 4:30 AM

What was the last musical with 2 intermissions? Anyone Can Whistle?

by Anonymousreply 111October 1, 2020 5:00 AM

I remember when I went to see the Chorus Line revival in late '96. It was my first time seeing the show. I had no idea there was no intermission and needed to pee so badly throughout the whole thing. To make matters worse, I had gotten myself front-row tickets and was seated in the center so had to wait for everyone else to clear out. Needless to say, I couldn't enjoy the second act.

by Anonymousreply 112October 1, 2020 6:37 AM

I meant '06.

by Anonymousreply 113October 1, 2020 6:37 AM

"The Apple Tree" had 2 intermissions during its initial run, I believe, but that was in the 1960s,

by Anonymousreply 114October 1, 2020 6:39 AM

For EVITA, isn't now "You Must Love Me" the 11 o"clock number?

by Anonymousreply 115October 1, 2020 7:15 AM

[quote]I had to be shaken awake four times during " Follies"

Pity they stopped shaking you.

by Anonymousreply 116October 1, 2020 7:20 AM

As an apology for me starting the Hot Honey Rag conversation in the last thread, have Isaac Cole Powell's dick

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117October 1, 2020 11:34 AM

Your bushy atonement is duly noted and appreciated r117.

by Anonymousreply 118October 1, 2020 11:54 AM

If all those classic musical revivals started at 8:30 as their original productions did would audiences today be able to get through them without fading? Or would they be thinking two thirds of the way through My Fair Lady and Fiddler will this thing ever end? I've got to be up at 6 tomorrow morning. I hope to god it's got an 11 o'clock number.

Of course in those two musicals their hopes would be in vain and they would have to suffer through to the end. Unless you think Without You and Anatevka are 11 o'clock numbers.

by Anonymousreply 119October 1, 2020 12:09 PM

[Quote] The other #493 has a better title.

That thread can still be used. It will be a while, though...

by Anonymousreply 120October 1, 2020 12:21 PM

Oh, epic fail, R117. That's not his dick, as promised.

It is a mere photograph of his dick. Not the same. Not at all the same.

by Anonymousreply 121October 1, 2020 12:52 PM

It's an unimpressive dick, so what's the diff?

by Anonymousreply 122October 1, 2020 12:54 PM

Is that pic why Powell had a social media breakdown a while back. Someone posted about it on one of these threads but they didn't elaborate.

by Anonymousreply 123October 1, 2020 12:55 PM

wow are we numb. r117 posted a seemingly authentic full-body nude of an extraordinarily well built and talented young Broadway leading man, and we went right back to the pedantry of debating 11 o'clock numbers.

by Anonymousreply 124October 1, 2020 1:00 PM

The reaction to young Michael Arden's pee pee was much the same.

by Anonymousreply 125October 1, 2020 1:01 PM

BAJOUR!

by Anonymousreply 126October 1, 2020 1:11 PM

Isaac exposing his dick on stage would make a great 11 o'clock number. It could sing," I'm Still Here," delighting Follies fanatics.

by Anonymousreply 127October 1, 2020 1:12 PM

Follies fanatics would be equally delighted if it just shut up and spit.

by Anonymousreply 128October 1, 2020 1:15 PM

Any pics of Isaac on all fours?

by Anonymousreply 129October 1, 2020 1:17 PM

R126 you’re a bit early.

by Anonymousreply 130October 1, 2020 1:25 PM

I think it’s a nice dick R122

by Anonymousreply 131October 1, 2020 1:27 PM

I'm fine with the dick. It just doesn't interest me. I enjoy the rest of him. Any wagging his tail to camera?

by Anonymousreply 132October 1, 2020 1:38 PM

When young Mr. Powell presents hole, please post the photo.

Maybe it has more allure than his pedestrian penis.

by Anonymousreply 133October 1, 2020 1:48 PM

Why does a somewhat successful Broadway actor live in such squalor? Dirty clothes and sneakers in a pile on the floor like a teenager, a bed and box spring on the floor with nacreous sheets barely even on it, an empty beer bottle... and what appears to be a visible bottle of lube sticking out of the basket on the nightstand with a stapler (?) on top. Nice body, though. Stupid tattoo. Oh, Mary, but c’mon.

by Anonymousreply 134October 1, 2020 2:13 PM

Count me among those who think the classic purpose of the 11:00 number was to give the audience a wake-up nudge: Get Me to the Church on Time. Farmer and the Cowman, Shipoopi. Big D. Together. Wrong Note Rag.

But as someone said, not all shows adhere to that formula, especially more recent ones. Company for example, or Sunday in the Park.

by Anonymousreply 135October 1, 2020 2:24 PM

I seem to recall that the recent London revival of Half a Sixpence was filmed for broadcast. Does anybody know about this?

by Anonymousreply 136October 1, 2020 2:25 PM

I'm still at it, r116!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137October 1, 2020 2:31 PM

Any links to the Encores! "Me and My Girl" or "Mack and Mabel" would be greatly appreciated by this gay who has exhausted his Netflix watchlist and can't bear another minute of debate coverage.

by Anonymousreply 138October 1, 2020 2:32 PM

But they got out before 10:30. (Company maybe not initially but still it got out before or by 11 in any case not needing one.

by Anonymousreply 139October 1, 2020 2:33 PM

The 11 O'Clock number was performed in Elaine's dressing room.

by Anonymousreply 140October 1, 2020 2:37 PM

R123 He goes on and off social media quite often. I think the big one was because he said something along the lines of 'white people need mental healthcare too' and so a bunch of people tried to cancel him as being racist.

by Anonymousreply 141October 1, 2020 2:40 PM

Sondheim attended a drive-in performance of Assassins.

[quote]No one, not even Houk, got to meet or speak with Sondheim after the show. Ray did look over to this car and he smiled at her, she said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142October 1, 2020 2:41 PM

I wonder if Sondheim has added electronic machinery to the dungeon. Twenty lashes at the press of a button etc.

by Anonymousreply 143October 1, 2020 2:44 PM

Well, r135, maybe there should be a wake-up number *and* an 11:00 number, because I'd consider Accustomed/Face the 11:00 number.

by Anonymousreply 144October 1, 2020 2:51 PM

If they did it at a drive in the stage had to be pretty high as the screens are so that people can look over the cars. And each car had one of those speakers that hang on the window that sound like AM transistor radios?

That Warner theater is a huge beautifully restored movie palace. What an odd place to plan to do a show like Assassins. Would it make any impact? Wicked or Aida maybe.

by Anonymousreply 145October 1, 2020 2:56 PM

R133 Do you think he has a butthole?

by Anonymousreply 146October 1, 2020 2:59 PM

I'm so glad Isaac Powell is cut! I loathe uncut dick

by Anonymousreply 147October 1, 2020 3:01 PM

Well, we know his old cunt.

by Anonymousreply 148October 1, 2020 3:01 PM

His name is Isaac. Of course he's cut.

by Anonymousreply 149October 1, 2020 3:01 PM

R145 From the looks of it they didn't use the stage but had the singers on backs of old trucks facing the audience. Not sure what they did for sound.

by Anonymousreply 150October 1, 2020 3:08 PM

I did not cut Isaac. I tried, but an angel stopped me.

by Anonymousreply 151October 1, 2020 3:14 PM

I guess some people can't grasp the concept that an Eleven O'Clock Number should be performed around eleven o'clock (back when curtains were at 8:30).

"The Farmer and the Cowman" is the first number in Act Two. "Shipoopi" is the second number in Act Two. "Together" (assuming you mean "Together, Wherever We Go" and not "Together" from the revival of GOOD NEWS or some other song) is the second number in Act Two. "Big D" is in the middle of Act Two (in a three-act show) with nineteen numbers to follow.

by Anonymousreply 152October 1, 2020 3:16 PM

oh yea, R152? What about matinee days? No 11 o clock number there!

by Anonymousreply 153October 1, 2020 3:18 PM

Most second acts struggle. The 11 o'clock number has to focus the proceedings, tie some things together, and prepare the show - and the audience - for landing. How it gets done is up to the authors and the director. But the song is the foundation for wrapping up the sucker and sending everyone home.

by Anonymousreply 154October 1, 2020 3:19 PM

OKLAHOMA! If your show sucks, put in " Oklahoma" as the 11 o'clock number and everyone will leave happy, except poor Jud. How can anyone not tap their toes to this classic?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155October 1, 2020 3:24 PM

Coming up at 11....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156October 1, 2020 3:25 PM

When my school did "Blood Brothers," they added "Tub Thumping" by Chumbawumba to perk up the prison scene. I don't recall how close to 11 O'Clock that was, though.

by Anonymousreply 157October 1, 2020 3:48 PM

[R114]: The original production of “The Apple Tree” had two intermissions, because it had three acts, three separate stories. And the star, I’m sure, needed time to get ready in between.

I saw it. With Barbara Harris, no less. She was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 158October 1, 2020 4:02 PM

Bless you, R117. He (and it) are as beautiful as I imagined. Lucky, lucky Mr. Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 159October 1, 2020 4:09 PM

[quote]Lucky, lucky Mr. Taylor.

You can add a few more 'lucky's in there too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160October 1, 2020 4:20 PM

R125, can you please perchance provide a link to the pic?

Also, where's pics of Max Von Essen's alleged tinymeat?

by Anonymousreply 161October 1, 2020 4:33 PM

Larry Kramer - Cock Sucker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162October 1, 2020 5:23 PM

New York Philharmonic Celebrates Sondheim.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163October 1, 2020 5:25 PM

Sweeney Todd with Bryn and Emma.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164October 1, 2020 5:27 PM

Best 11 o'clock number ever: Never Met A Man I Didn't Like from the Will Rogers Follies. Fabulous photo montage by Tony Walton when Keith sang this number. Powerful message too. Thank you Coleman, Comden and Green.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165October 1, 2020 5:37 PM

^Such a good show.

by Anonymousreply 166October 1, 2020 5:40 PM

Thank you, r164. I just forwarded it to Worst Pies to check out Emma. O.K., but I'm afraid the effort is showing.

by Anonymousreply 167October 1, 2020 5:42 PM

Did Emma do any musical theatre after Me & My Girl?

by Anonymousreply 168October 1, 2020 6:03 PM

That concert Sweeney Todd isn't all that, but I'm thinking Emma Thompson has a better Mrs. Lovett in her that a strong director could bring out.

by Anonymousreply 169October 1, 2020 6:30 PM

What I saw, r169, was her effort in traversing the vocals.

by Anonymousreply 170October 1, 2020 6:35 PM

WEHT to Our Miss Brooks? Carb loading in quarantine? Making more apologies for his past behavior and "who he was allowed to become"?

by Anonymousreply 171October 1, 2020 7:02 PM

[Quote] Making more apologies for his past behavior and "who he was allowed to become"?

?

by Anonymousreply 172October 1, 2020 7:03 PM

[quote]WEHT to Our Miss Brooks?

It was on TCM this morning!

(Oh--and it's WHET. We do have traditions here.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173October 1, 2020 7:05 PM

Brooks Amantokiss was a METOO perpretator?

by Anonymousreply 174October 1, 2020 7:10 PM

Wasn't it decided that Brooksie was the "fat jovial avuncular" actor who apologized for his past behavior in that long Medium post full of blind items earlier in the summer? I think it's since been deleted. It was published right around the time that someone on Facebook called out Brooks for being bitchy, two-faced, and a lil bit racist during THE CLOSET at Williamstown.

by Anonymousreply 175October 1, 2020 7:16 PM

He's fond of retelling the Maggie Smith "the blacks" story?

by Anonymousreply 176October 1, 2020 7:20 PM

Dick pics AND gossip? This thread is moving along nicely!

by Anonymousreply 177October 1, 2020 7:24 PM

r173 - Thank you, Walter.

by Anonymousreply 178October 1, 2020 7:26 PM

I never need to hear Emma Thompson "sing" again. In a stage musical or elsewhere, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 179October 1, 2020 7:55 PM

Did Isaac post these pics to his social media? or were they hacked?

by Anonymousreply 180October 1, 2020 10:05 PM

Isaac's pronoun is They?

by Anonymousreply 181October 1, 2020 10:06 PM

R180 More than likely sent to someone he was trying to hook up with - either real or catfished.

I hope I'm not shattering any innocence over the idea he and Wesley may not be totally monogamous.

by Anonymousreply 182October 1, 2020 10:09 PM

I miss the old DL anecdotes about Brooks getting his jollies during summer stock. Hell, I miss summer stock.

by Anonymousreply 183October 1, 2020 11:17 PM

I din't know Brooks was that old. Did he do summer stock with Ellen Travolta?

by Anonymousreply 184October 1, 2020 11:21 PM

I just noticed this on my Youtube line-up and it's probably already been posted...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185October 1, 2020 11:38 PM

The hair is very Merman here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186October 1, 2020 11:40 PM

[quote]I guess some people can't grasp the concept that an Eleven O'Clock Number should be performed around eleven o'clock (back when curtains were at 8:30). "The Farmer and the Cowman" is the first number in Act Two. "Shipoopi" is the second number in Act Two. "Together" (assuming you mean "Together, Wherever We Go" and not "Together" from the revival of GOOD NEWS or some other song) is the second number in Act Two. "Big D" is in the middle of Act Two (in a three-act show) with nineteen numbers to follow.

Thank you. I don't know if people are being purposely annoying or honestly stupid in naming songs that occur WAY before the end of their shows as "11 o'clock numbers," but either way, this is getting ridiculous. One might assume the fact that the timing of the number is included in the description might clue people in as to what songs fit the category, but I guess not.....

by Anonymousreply 187October 1, 2020 11:48 PM

P.S. to name "The Farmer and the Cowman" rather than the title song as the 11 o'clock number in OKLAHOMA! is not at all funny if it's intended as a joke, and incredibly ignorant if it's intended as a factual statement.

by Anonymousreply 188October 1, 2020 11:55 PM

And on another note, re Isaac Powell: That's a very nice endowment, but to me, his body and face are so beautiful that the dick would never be the primary focus of interest.

by Anonymousreply 189October 1, 2020 11:56 PM

I still don't understand why someone as beautiful and talented as Isaac Cole Powell is with such a sniveling toad like Wesley.

by Anonymousreply 190October 1, 2020 11:59 PM

^ Love. He's doing it for love.

by Anonymousreply 191October 2, 2020 12:05 AM

Impossible. Tay Tay is unlovable.

by Anonymousreply 192October 2, 2020 12:19 AM

Loads...of love

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193October 2, 2020 12:25 AM

Michael Arden’s penis was nothing to write home about.

by Anonymousreply 194October 2, 2020 1:14 AM

Fräulein Desmond...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195October 2, 2020 1:39 AM

[quote]Love. He's doing it for love.

And we all know how well that worked out for Elle Woods.

by Anonymousreply 196October 2, 2020 1:44 AM

Someone above mentioned they'd like to read DL tales of summer stock. Here's an old DL classic:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197October 2, 2020 4:14 AM

ALWAYS on DL if you post a nude photo of a man there's always at least a couple old cunty queens sniffing, "That's not much of a penis" despite the fact it's likely that said cunty old queen probably hasn't actually seen a live dick in many years. And, in 9 out of 10 cases, the penis in question is handsome and of considerable girth.

Mr. Powell is a very good looking, sexy young man with a deliciously well toned body and a pair of gorgeously long and supple legs. Oh, and a beautiful plump cock crowned with a magnificent halo of manly lush pubes. If he's not to your taste, then you have terrible taste and you should go die in a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 198October 2, 2020 5:27 AM

[quote] Michael Arden’s penis was nothing to write home about.

I like when people use their penis to write in the snow.

by Anonymousreply 199October 2, 2020 5:51 AM

I guess this can't hurt his Broadway career, since there isn't a career to be had on Broadway right now anyway.

by Anonymousreply 200October 2, 2020 6:23 AM

re: Isaac

by Anonymousreply 201October 2, 2020 6:23 AM

In honor of tonight's full Harvest Moon, here's one of the greatest hits of the last century, Shine On, Harvest Moon. The song became a sensation when introduced by vaudevillians Nora Baye and Jack Norworth in the 1908 Ziegfeld Follies. (The song's also credited to them but that's highly disputed and unlikely.)

I know Bayes and Norworth recorded the song but surprisingly, I couldn't find their version on youtube. Instead, here's a nice lounge version with Der Bingle and Rosemary Clooney.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202October 2, 2020 6:24 AM

And here's a high kicking version with Gene Kelly and Miss Joey Heatherton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203October 2, 2020 6:26 AM

Finally, here's Liza.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204October 2, 2020 6:27 AM

Spam

by Anonymousreply 205October 2, 2020 7:03 AM

Does anyone else on here think You Can't Take it With You is one of the most overrated bores of a play ever written? I've seen the film version, the tv-movie version and I was just trying to make it through the 1983 Broadway revival that was filmed for Showtime w/ Jason Robards and I just fucking hate this play. It's filled with characters that are quirky for quirky's sake and who grate on the nerves almost immediately. Talk about a play that ought to be buried alongside Tobacco Road and Life With Father.

by Anonymousreply 206October 2, 2020 7:58 AM

It wouldn't have been boring, had it had a better 11 o'clock number.

by Anonymousreply 207October 2, 2020 9:54 AM

Honestly surprised that Wes has such a nice dick

by Anonymousreply 208October 2, 2020 10:56 AM

R208 It's slightly annoying, even. Especially given his personality.

by Anonymousreply 209October 2, 2020 11:13 AM

[quote]Honestly surprised that Wes has such a nice dick

I didn't realize Wes's dick pic had been posted. Anyone here have it to share?

by Anonymousreply 210October 2, 2020 1:21 PM

Miss Ruth Etting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211October 2, 2020 1:23 PM

HAMILTON fans!

[quote]The cast got together to perform some new lyrics in partnership with When We All Vote. If you haven't registered to vote yet, time is running out. Need a little something to inspire you? Check out this video that Lin-Manuel Miranda and the cast of Hamilton put together in partnership with When We All Vote.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212October 2, 2020 2:29 PM

[quote]HAMILTON fans!

Almost no one on DL will admit to being a Hamilton fan.

I happen to think it's great, though.

by Anonymousreply 213October 2, 2020 2:35 PM

R206, this may not make any difference to you, but I wonder if you realize that maybe the reason you hate YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU so much is that the basic situation and those types of characters have been copied SO many times, one of the most famous of many examples being THE MUNSTERS. I'm sure the whole thing seemed a lot fresher to audiences when the play premiered on Broadway almost 85 years ago. It's fine if you hate it regardless, but it's not the fault of the play if it has been imitated time and time again.

R200, what do you think there is about that photo of IP that would hurt his career in this day and age? Yes, he's completely nude in the photo, but he's not masturbating or having sex with anyone in it, and he doesn't even have an erection. If any of that other stuff were true, and especially if a photo or video leaked of him having sex with another guy, THAT might damage his career. But in 2020, I think a hot, nude photo with no sex and no erection can't hurt at all and, on the contrary, might only gain him some new fans.

by Anonymousreply 214October 2, 2020 3:05 PM

R210 see R160

by Anonymousreply 215October 2, 2020 3:16 PM

R204- Is the shadow on Liza's chest in that number really Isaac's erect penis?

by Anonymousreply 216October 2, 2020 3:42 PM

In the selfie of Isaac, I think Wes is passed out under the pile of dirty clothes.

by Anonymousreply 217October 2, 2020 3:43 PM

[quote]Does anyone else on here think You Can't Take it With You is one of the most overrated bores of a play ever written?

I've always disliked what Frank Capra did to the 1938 movie version. Great cast, but Capra turns it into his typical "triumph of the little guy" Capra-corn. I also dislike Capra's frantic movie version of "Arsenic and Old Lace." He sucked at adapting Broadway comedies.

by Anonymousreply 218October 2, 2020 4:08 PM

Thanks R215. Didn't realize that guy with cum splattered on his chest was Wes.

by Anonymousreply 219October 2, 2020 4:37 PM

[quote]Capra's frantic movie version of "Arsenic and Old Lace"

It's godawful. Cary Grant was directed to be a spastic ninny. He reminds me of Michael Crawford in Hello, Dolly!

by Anonymousreply 220October 2, 2020 4:39 PM

The only Capra film I ever loved was IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (and yes, it's corny as hell). Nothing else he ever did comes close, despite working with some incredible talent of that era. (I particularly dislike the hamminess of MISTER SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON and MEET JOHN DOE.)

by Anonymousreply 221October 2, 2020 4:40 PM

Isaac has heard R134's criticism

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222October 2, 2020 4:48 PM

I am so sick of everyone involved with HAMILTON feeling that they must teach the world how to live. It was just a show.

by Anonymousreply 223October 2, 2020 5:09 PM

[quote] [R206], this may not make any difference to you, but I wonder if you realize that maybe the reason you hate YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU so much is that the basic situation and those types of characters have been copied SO many times, one of the most famous of many examples being THE MUNSTERS. I'm sure the whole thing seemed a lot fresher to audiences when the play premiered on Broadway almost 85 years ago. It's fine if you hate it regardless, but it's not the fault of the play if it has been imitated time and time again.

Yes, I understand the age of the play, but I can point at several other plays of that time that still hold up, even ones by Kaufman & Hart. So I wouldn't be so quick to blame age.

by Anonymousreply 224October 2, 2020 5:39 PM

You Can't Take It With You - Jason Robards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225October 2, 2020 6:17 PM

The Beaux Stratagem - with corrected sound.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226October 2, 2020 6:27 PM

Broadway and Jews - A Love Story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227October 2, 2020 6:31 PM

I turned down the offer to see Sam Barnett's cock.

by Anonymousreply 228October 2, 2020 6:38 PM

Eddie Albert replaced Jason Robards in the Ellis Raab "You Can't Take It With You." And he was better than Jason was in this role. It's much more suited to Eddie Albert. You could easily believe he went one morning to his Wall Street office, thought better of it and returned home. Jason is a wonderful actor and it was fun to see him give this a go. But it's not his natural territory. Eddie Albert walked in and smiled and owned it from then to the final curtain.

by Anonymousreply 229October 2, 2020 7:22 PM

We've come this far without discussing that Lin Miranda got HBO to make an entire documentary ABOUT HIS FATHER

by Anonymousreply 230October 2, 2020 7:46 PM

I believe he promised them house seats to HAMILTON.

by Anonymousreply 231October 2, 2020 7:53 PM

There's no escaping the Mirandas, is there?

by Anonymousreply 232October 2, 2020 8:05 PM

R230 ...the father who worked for Ed fucking Koch.

by Anonymousreply 233October 2, 2020 8:11 PM

Is there a better opening number than this one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234October 2, 2020 9:52 PM

Maybe this one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235October 2, 2020 9:53 PM

Or this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236October 2, 2020 9:56 PM

"A Funny Thing," "Ragtime,"" and "Kiss Me Kate" have great opening numbers.

by Anonymousreply 237October 2, 2020 10:08 PM

Who has been enjoying Jason Danieley's mouthwatering cock since Marin left us?

by Anonymousreply 238October 2, 2020 10:14 PM

The Jean Stapleton You Can't Take It With You was much better than the Jason Robards

by Anonymousreply 239October 3, 2020 2:34 AM

For whatever reasons, YCTIWY has never really worked on film/video. But with a cast of really good character actors and a director who will move things along, it can still be very effective onstage. Even high school productions show this.

And I love that somebody else has pointed out that The Munsters is a ripoff of the basic plot.

by Anonymousreply 240October 3, 2020 3:05 AM

more isaac!

by Anonymousreply 241October 3, 2020 3:46 AM

I thought the Munsters were a rip-off of The Adams Family?

by Anonymousreply 242October 3, 2020 4:02 AM

And The Addams Family musical ripped off the plot too

by Anonymousreply 243October 3, 2020 4:06 AM

[quote]I thought the Munsters were a rip-off of The Adams Family?

The overall concept yes. The initial plot set up is ripped from YCTIWY.

by Anonymousreply 244October 3, 2020 4:18 AM

^ The pretty, sweet, all American girl has concerns about introducing her boyfriend/fiance to her extremely weird family.

by Anonymousreply 245October 3, 2020 4:34 AM

[quote]Yes, I understand the age of the play, but I can point at several other plays of that time that still hold up, even ones by Kaufman & Hart. So I wouldn't be so quick to blame age.

My main point was not specifically about the age of YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU, but about the fact that the basic situation of the play -- an extremely weird and eccentric family interacd with normal people from the outside world -- has been copied to one extent or another by SO many subsequent plays, movies, and sitcoms, most notably THE MUNSTERS.

by Anonymousreply 246October 3, 2020 5:06 AM

I am r240, r244 and r245. I am not r246, who I assume originally posted about how often the main plot device of YCTIWY has been copied over the years and brought up The Munsters. Just to note there is more than one of us who has noticed this.

by Anonymousreply 247October 3, 2020 5:39 AM

Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 248October 3, 2020 6:07 AM

Incidentally, Carolyn Jones was a much prettier/sexier Morticia than Anjelica Huston.

by Anonymousreply 249October 3, 2020 6:12 AM

I can't see how you write off a PLAY because you hated the filmed adaptations you've seen.

Plays need to be seen live before you start judging them.

by Anonymousreply 250October 3, 2020 6:47 AM

Back to opening numbers. Food, Glorious Food is a good number and great as Oliver!'s opening number. Sets the scene, tone and atmosphere of both the period and the show perfectly for the audience.

I couldn't find a good video of the stage version with the original orchestrations and staging but the film's version scored by Johnny Green and staged by Onna White is excellent in its own right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251October 3, 2020 6:54 AM

[quote] I can't see how you write off a PLAY because you hated the filmed adaptations you've seen.

What difference does it MAKE if I watch the PRODUCTION live in the theater or a filmed TAPE of the production? Except for the CLOse ups, it's same thing.

by Anonymousreply 252October 3, 2020 7:39 AM

[quote]I can capitalize words, TOO

Even INCOmplete ones r252.

by Anonymousreply 253October 3, 2020 7:46 AM

[quote] What difference does it MAKE if I watch the PRODUCTION live in the theater or a filmed TAPE of the production? Except for the CLOse ups, it's same thing.

No it's not and you're an idiot or unseasoned if you think so.

by Anonymousreply 254October 3, 2020 7:46 AM

I've been going to theater in NYC for 33 years. Whether or not I watch a production live or on (professional) tape is not going to alter what I think of the play's text. Sorry if you need to sit with a souvenir sippy cup and a playbill in order to figure out what you think.

by Anonymousreply 255October 3, 2020 7:58 AM

[quote]I've been going to theater in NYC for 33 years.

I've been going to theater in NYC for 46 years. Does that mean I trump you for understanding the difference between a live performance and a filmed or videoed one? Or simply reading the text on the page? Or even a different live performance?

Those experiences can be minor or extremely major.

by Anonymousreply 256October 3, 2020 8:41 AM

R223 They're so sanctimonious.

by Anonymousreply 257October 3, 2020 9:32 AM

If anybody hasn't been going to theater for at least 50 years it means they never saw the original Follies and has no right to have an opinion on anything concerning the theater at all.

by Anonymousreply 258October 3, 2020 10:05 AM

I saw Robards onstage in YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU. I thought he was perfect. I don't know why he wouldn't be believable as a guy who impulsively ditched his Wall Street career. I didn't see Eddie Albert, but that might have been fine, too.

by Anonymousreply 259October 3, 2020 1:18 PM

Robards was famous for playing the lead in A THOUSAND CLOWNS, stage and film both. A character with many of the same qualities as Grandpa Vanderhof in YCTIWY. He rocked the house.

by Anonymousreply 260October 3, 2020 1:25 PM

Isaac Powell has a really gorgeous body and a full frontal nude selfie on the internet, and we're talking about Kaufman & Hart.

by Anonymousreply 261October 3, 2020 1:35 PM

It just hit me that Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf is kind of a minimalist redo of You Can't Take It with You.

by Anonymousreply 262October 3, 2020 1:51 PM

R252, I worked on the Ellis Raab "You Can't Take it With You" and saw many performances with all the original cast and replacements. It was utterly charming and the audiences always loved it.

I also saw the video production.

The stage production was better by leaps and bounds. It just didn't translate well. You can't fault the cast. You can't fault the producers for trying. But that video is but a suggestion of what was up on stage for everyone to enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 263October 3, 2020 2:19 PM

In light of earlier discussion, I must point this thread towards another DL thread headed BREAKING!!! WALTER REED DOCTOR TO MAKE 11:00 ANNOUNCEMENT!

Is this Trump's 11 o'clock number?

by Anonymousreply 264October 3, 2020 2:27 PM

[quote] I've been going to theater in NYC for 46 years. Does that mean I trump you for understanding the difference between a live performance and a filmed or videoed one? Or simply reading the text on the page? Or even a different live performance?

No, it just makes you a prissy blowhard who always thinks he's right.

by Anonymousreply 265October 3, 2020 4:15 PM

I just figured that dramedy posted here.

by Anonymousreply 266October 3, 2020 4:50 PM

Please god no r266.

by Anonymousreply 267October 3, 2020 5:42 PM

[quote]I worked on the Ellis Raab "You Can't Take it With You" and saw many performances with all the original cast and replacements. It was utterly charming and the audiences always loved it. I also saw the video production. The stage production was better by leaps and bounds. It just didn't translate well. You can't fault the cast. You can't fault the producers for trying. But that video is but a suggestion of what was up on stage for everyone to enjoy.

I agree, and I think that's partly because comedies in general tend to come across worse on video than dramas. Any good play is best experienced live in a theater, but comedies especially, because there's nothing equivalent to the community experience of sitting in the midst of a live audience that's laughing heartily and frequently at a comedy. Here's hoping we will all someday be able to do that again.

by Anonymousreply 268October 3, 2020 5:52 PM

Isn't that second picture - where the dick looks so huge and his arm is obscuring his face - that's actually Wes Taylor, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 269October 3, 2020 5:56 PM

R269 Yes, me saying add another lucky was meant to be about him being lucky to have a dick that size. I obviously wasn't clear enough, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 270October 3, 2020 5:59 PM

The Lion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271October 3, 2020 6:51 PM

As You Like It with Rosalie Craig.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272October 3, 2020 7:39 PM

Waiting For Godik.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273October 3, 2020 7:43 PM

I'm not a fan of You Can't Take It With You or any of the K and H plays except for Once in a Lifetime. The movie is surprising faithful. Thank goodness it was made precode because it keeps the joke that got the biggest laugh when it ran on stage. My only regret is that the divine Jean Dixon who is incandescent in Holiday and My Man Godfrey didn't get to recreate the role she starred in when it opened on Broadway. She's probably the only person in the history of the world who could bring the house down on the last line. I wasn't there but I assume she did.

by Anonymousreply 274October 3, 2020 9:19 PM

Wrong on two counts, R274. Frank Capra's "You Can't Take It With You" was released in 1938, so it is definitely not pre-Code. And it is also not very faithful to the play, turning Edward Arnold's character of Anthony Kirby into a typical Capra rapacious villain.

by Anonymousreply 275October 4, 2020 12:52 AM

r274 is talking about the film version of Once in a Lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 276October 4, 2020 2:34 AM

You Can’t Take It With You is loads of fun to perform, especially for high school and community theatres and audiences continue to enjoy. The recent Broadway revival with JE Jones, Kris Nielsen, and Annaleigh Ashgord was well-gone. I went back to my HS to see a production 50 years after we did. It’s a good choice for young actors—they can learn comic timing and stage business without characters too complex for them. What to with Donald and Rheba is a challenge. Ashen we did it in 1972, white actors were cast (we had an almost exclusively white student body) and they played them as country hicks (with s few changes in dialogue), when Ibsaw my high school’s production in 2012, a black student played Donalf, a Latina played Athena, and a Black student played Grandpa (this was before JEJ did it) and no one batted an eye—he was a talented and powerful actor and the production was immensely the better for his presence.

by Anonymousreply 277October 4, 2020 2:48 AM

[quote][R274] is talking about the film version of Once in a Lifetime.

Yes, and if he was a better writer, that would have been clear.

by Anonymousreply 278October 4, 2020 3:54 AM

One day the world will realize that Lynne Trans-Smell Esmeralda is an insufferably middle-brow blowhard.

by Anonymousreply 279October 4, 2020 5:36 AM

Christ, R279, I loathe the guy too but you're literally trying to make "fetch" happen.

by Anonymousreply 280October 4, 2020 6:23 AM

Always such fun when the unhinged LMM haters stink up the theater threads. "Trans Smell" is such a knee slapper, all 500 times it's been used in these threads.

by Anonymousreply 281October 4, 2020 6:29 AM

When was that "In The Heights" movie supposed to come out? I saw a trailer of it around maybe the beginning of this year or was it like last holiday season? Miranda is all right, very over-rated as a writer, pretty bad as a performer, very effective as a self-promoter, but he tries to insert himself into all kinds of political things, and he adapted the Chernow book on "Hamilton", but he's not a historian like he is.

by Anonymousreply 282October 4, 2020 6:46 AM

^ Heights has been pushed to next summer.

When his father worked for piece of shit Ed Koch, he did accomplish much for the Latino community?

by Anonymousreply 283October 4, 2020 6:57 AM

R283 is that question mark an uncertainty?

by Anonymousreply 284October 4, 2020 7:15 AM

R276 got it immediately. Perhaps if you had better reading skills R278 you would have understood it immediately as well. Also the references to the script and cast made it apparent. You should have known Josephine Hull and not Jean Dixon starred in the original cast of YCTIWY.

by Anonymousreply 285October 4, 2020 10:07 AM

agree that r274 was perfectly clear and that r275 was out of line

by Anonymousreply 286October 4, 2020 12:57 PM

[quote] Thank goodness it was made precode because it keeps the joke that got the biggest laugh when it ran on stage.

Spoiler Request: Can I ask what that line is?

by Anonymousreply 287October 4, 2020 1:11 PM

"Nobody's Perfect!"

by Anonymousreply 288October 4, 2020 1:15 PM

what's your favorite part of Isaac's bod at r117? For me, it's either the delts or the thighs. Or maybe the abs, very defined without being overdone, and perfect semi-treasure-trail under his navel.

by Anonymousreply 289October 4, 2020 1:22 PM

PS nipples ever so slightly disappointing

by Anonymousreply 290October 4, 2020 2:10 PM

Does the play of "You Can't Take It With You" have the rival of the Edward Arnold's character committing suicide after meeting in the office? I don't remember that from when I saw the play years ago.

by Anonymousreply 291October 4, 2020 3:11 PM

Let's have James Lapine do another fucked up ANNIE revival! He can make it even darker and less fun than before!

by Anonymousreply 292October 4, 2020 4:00 PM

Annie as a Trannie? Very woke.

by Anonymousreply 293October 4, 2020 4:01 PM

[Quote] Annie as a T

It's been done.

by Anonymousreply 294October 4, 2020 4:06 PM

WE SEE YOU WHITE TRANNY ANNIE!

by Anonymousreply 295October 4, 2020 4:08 PM

No, R291. All that opening stuff in the YCTIWY film was Capra's addition.

In the play, Mr. Kirby is really just a straw man, a comic invention that works well in the big "dinner" scene without truly emerging as a human being.

by Anonymousreply 296October 4, 2020 4:32 PM

I’m sure there’s still some fun left from [italic]Oliver![/italic] that James Lapine can drain from it.

by Anonymousreply 297October 4, 2020 4:43 PM

[quote] Annie as a T [quote]It's been done.

And now Martin Charnin is dead. Coincidence, I think not!

by Anonymousreply 298October 4, 2020 4:47 PM

[Quote] And now Martin Charnin is dead. Coincidence, I think not!

It was a parody so no autorization needed, I guess. They had to change the title though, as there was uproar.

by Anonymousreply 299October 4, 2020 4:55 PM

*authorization

by Anonymousreply 300October 4, 2020 4:55 PM

The Decades marathon this weekend is Cheers. I hadn't remembered that Lilith's mother was played by Marilyn Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 301October 4, 2020 5:11 PM

A-Mezzo A-Malia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302October 4, 2020 5:12 PM

Armelia McQueen has died. So sad. Just the sweetest lady.

by Anonymousreply 303October 4, 2020 5:22 PM

Thanks for that, R302. Interesting... it's a very "cabaret" version of those lovely songs, not necessarily a bad choice.

Foley was/is an unusual talent, but I've always liked her voice. (And she can rock out, too.) She really should have had a bigger career. I recall her being a decent actress. (I know Lapine replaced her with Bernie in ITW, but that's understandable.)

What happened?

by Anonymousreply 304October 4, 2020 5:23 PM

Was it coronavirus?

Very sad. 68 is too young.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305October 4, 2020 5:25 PM

[Quote] What happened?

She married a TV writer, I think.

She sort of fell between two stools. She looked like a prettier Liza Minnelli. But she had scrappy, character-ish energy. She was mostly cast in small parts and often not styled flatteringly. I can see how her career petered out.

Plus, Meatloaf aside, she seems mostly to have been bridesmaid or second choice in a lot of projects. She was credited with vocal arrangement on Bonnie Tyler's "Holding Out for a Hero" but why wasn't she given the track to record? I guess her stock was too low. She sang on a Steinman album around 1990 (a version of Burt Bacharach's "Little Red Book") but she had to share the spotlight with a few other female singers. It looks like she never had a starmaker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306October 4, 2020 5:44 PM

I actually think singing rock did a number on Foley's voice. She had vocal trouble when touring, I read. Here's an early, more legit version of "Heaven Can Wait."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307October 4, 2020 5:47 PM

When Pigs Fly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308October 4, 2020 5:54 PM

Thanks to Valens (as always!) at R271 for linking THE LION. Highly recommended.

I saw it a year or two ago, having heard great things about the live show off-BWAY. I was dubious about a solo, autobio musical (having suffered through a few before), but Scheuer is the real deal. A genuinely talent as a songwriter and performer.

by Anonymousreply 309October 4, 2020 6:00 PM

Samuel Beckett documentary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310October 4, 2020 6:01 PM

Oh, it' actually titled "The Lion." I assumed that was a disguised title. I didn't click on the video.

by Anonymousreply 311October 4, 2020 6:02 PM

Foley/Eagles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312October 4, 2020 6:02 PM

The Life of Reilly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313October 4, 2020 6:04 PM

Loving the Ellen Foley love!

by Anonymousreply 314October 4, 2020 6:07 PM

More Ellen Foley

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315October 4, 2020 6:12 PM

OMG....Rebecca thinks Harvey F. is the man she's going to marry???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316October 4, 2020 6:15 PM

No I won't give you the line because out of context it would be dead in the water. And the build up is long. Also it had a shock but recognition factor which it wouldn't have today which is why I said it could only be in a pre code movie. Watch the movie. It's delightful and pretty timely.

by Anonymousreply 317October 4, 2020 6:30 PM

There's Helen Schneider as well, r304. She seemed to prefer being a big fish in a smaller German pond. Her only Broadway credit is Ghetto for a one month run in 1989. And like Ellen, she attempted a rock career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318October 4, 2020 6:49 PM

Helen...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319October 4, 2020 6:51 PM

There's an interesting website called americanradiohistory.com. It houses pdf scans of old music magazines (Billboard etc.). I remember reading a brutal review of a Foley concert from 1980ish. She was supporting a male (of course) rock band.

by Anonymousreply 320October 4, 2020 6:52 PM

R317, if you are talking about Once in a Lifetime, May does not have the last line in the play or the film....and it is not that funny in either.

by Anonymousreply 321October 4, 2020 6:53 PM

[quote]All that opening stuff in the YCTIWY film was Capra's addition.

Capra didn't write the screenplay.

by Anonymousreply 322October 4, 2020 7:01 PM

A German TV performance from the days when Helen played Sally Bowles in Berlin', at Theater Des Westens

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323October 4, 2020 7:05 PM

"Maybe This Time" shouldn't be in CABARET. Helen is a talent. Glad she has had a good career.

by Anonymousreply 324October 4, 2020 7:19 PM

r324 = Kaye Ballard. That was 1987 and a TV performance. I wonder if she actually sang it in the production. If she did, was it a performance song or a book song? Somebody get Helen on the phone.

by Anonymousreply 325October 4, 2020 7:24 PM

Was "Maybe This Time" not in the London revival from 1986-ish? I presumed Not My Cassie sang it in the Broadway revival.

by Anonymousreply 326October 4, 2020 7:27 PM

Schneider along with Kelly Garrett was a contender for the American Evita. She with Garrett and Jane Olivor were kind of the great white hopes of Cabaret singing when the form was just about dead. Maybe you could add Donna Theodore in there as well. Schneider was the one who got the mainstream publicity, while Olivor was darling of the gay set, although Schneider played multiple sold out appearances at WH's Studio One. Garrett had been around for at least a decade before landing on Carson numerous times but going no further. Olivor was in the gay soft core "Saturday Night At the Baths" singing "Pretty Girl" and she's fairly unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 327October 4, 2020 7:35 PM

Garrett seemed like a mini Merman. Did she bring it down for a cabaret setting?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328October 4, 2020 7:38 PM

I had a Kelly Garrett. solo album once. Waste of money.

by Anonymousreply 329October 4, 2020 7:39 PM

R328, Stephen Holden's review of her act answers the question succinctly.

"Ms. Garrett, along with Shirley Bassey and Vikki Carr, belongs to the louder-is-better school of pop singing. And during her 50-minute show at the club, a spacious old-fashioned theater-turned-restaurant on the ground floor of the Edison Hotel, she never let up. She has a big, chesty contralto with a buzzing vibrato that she applies with equal force -- and an equal lack of interpretive discrimination -- to country, pop and Broadway material."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330October 4, 2020 7:42 PM

How dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 331October 4, 2020 7:43 PM

Kelly Garrett was no Karen Wyman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332October 4, 2020 7:45 PM

Ugh. Enough of those untalented singers. Feh!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333October 4, 2020 7:54 PM

They're all just Lisa Minelli wannabees!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334October 4, 2020 7:54 PM

Jackass at R322: Capra's thirties movies were written by others at his direction. Robert Riskin was the author of the YCIWY screenplay, but first Capra told him how he wanted the story to go. The opening episode was his idea, not Riskin's.

by Anonymousreply 335October 4, 2020 7:55 PM

R334, It's M-i- Double N-then E-Double L-I.

by Anonymousreply 336October 4, 2020 8:01 PM

Tell them not me, r336. Back to Miss Foley...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337October 4, 2020 8:03 PM

Foley had a nice introduction with 3 Girls 3 but couldn't make any headway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338October 4, 2020 8:07 PM

I don't think Foley has a very strong sense of herself as a performer. She had chops but... she went from Barry Manilow to the Springsteen/Post-Phil Spector of her debut album, to a Clash album with elements of cabaret, to an MOR, kinda sorta dance pop album.

I wonder how she and Patti would have worked together if the TV musical show (a different musical every week) had actually gone to series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339October 4, 2020 8:11 PM

*Foley had

by Anonymousreply 340October 4, 2020 8:11 PM

She should have cut a studio version of "Lightnin' Strikes" (7:35).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341October 4, 2020 8:26 PM

Question about that video of The Life of Reilly at R313. That's not the documentary, is it? (I've never seen it.) The doc was called The Life of Reilly, but the stage show (which I saw in LA) was called Save it for the Stage. I've always wanted to see the doc, but it's hard to find. Did they at some point start calling the show The Life of Reilly?

by Anonymousreply 342October 4, 2020 9:26 PM

R342 Oh, no, that may be my fault. When I downloaded Reilly, it was three different pieces, the show, more of the show, and then more of the show. So, I could easily have mislabeled it.

by Anonymousreply 343October 4, 2020 9:29 PM

That's cool, Valens, thanks. It didn't look professionally shot, so I didn't think it was the doc, but not having seen it, I wasn't sure.

Yes, he shouted a LOT. I'm trying to remember which theater we saw him at in LA. I think it was the El Portal, but maybe in one of their smaller rooms, because we were in the front row and he spit all over us.

by Anonymousreply 344October 4, 2020 9:36 PM

R344 Here you go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345October 4, 2020 10:02 PM

r344 I saw it at the El Portal, too ... I think it was at the Debbie Reynolds main stage.

by Anonymousreply 346October 4, 2020 10:30 PM

Sally Ann...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347October 4, 2020 10:47 PM

Does anyone have any idea if the sequel to Golden Age was finished? Any chance of a release from the McKay estate?

by Anonymousreply 348October 4, 2020 10:51 PM

thanks, R345!

by Anonymousreply 349October 4, 2020 11:01 PM

Hey, R285 -- I knew what movie you were referring to, but what you wrote was not completely clear: "I'm not a fan of You Can't Take It With You or any of the K and H plays except for Once in a Lifetime. The movie is surprising faithful." Also, you screwed up "surprisingly."

by Anonymousreply 350October 4, 2020 11:46 PM

I'd forgotten that Annie Golden was Cliff's girlfriend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351October 4, 2020 11:56 PM

Annie Golden was in the first episode of Filthy Rich, but seemingly Juliette Lewis has replaced her.

by Anonymousreply 352October 5, 2020 12:03 AM

Annie Golden: Somewhere That's Green and Suddenly Seymour

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353October 5, 2020 12:04 AM

Faith's...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354October 5, 2020 12:09 AM

What is the origin of that clip at R339?

"This One's For You" is a perfectly charming little pop song, but not very complex. I love how Ellen Foley approaches it (along with the film crew) like it was some Edith Piaf or Jacques Brel ballad.

by Anonymousreply 355October 5, 2020 1:36 AM

And no ill will toward Faith Prince. I've enjoyed her onstage....

But the idea of sitting around listening to that voice for the length of an entire album?

Shoot me.

by Anonymousreply 356October 5, 2020 1:39 AM

[Quote] What is the origin of that clip at [R339]?

It's from 3 Girls 3, which was part variety show and part narrative about three young women trying to make it in show business. Foley's co-stars were Debbie Allen and Mimi Kennedy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357October 5, 2020 1:39 AM

I remember watching it. They had "the singer", "the dancer" and "the comedienne".

by Anonymousreply 358October 5, 2020 2:16 AM

R350 you should give it up. Everyone but you knew what I was saying. But if you insist on being an asshole the size of Brazil go for it.

by Anonymousreply 359October 5, 2020 2:41 AM

Ladies, can't we settle this with pistols?

by Anonymousreply 360October 5, 2020 2:43 AM

Maybe This Time preceded both the stage and screen versions of Cabaret. It was written as a one off for Kaye Ballard's cabaret act in the early 60s. When Fosse went looking for additional material for Liza in the screen version of Cabaret, someone remembered it and suggested it and there you go.

by Anonymousreply 361October 5, 2020 3:19 AM

R361, Liza had even recorded Maybe This Time in the mid-60s.

by Anonymousreply 362October 5, 2020 3:22 AM

Maybe This Time had become a cabaret staple by the time of the show.

by Anonymousreply 363October 5, 2020 3:25 AM

I think Liza had recorded "Maybe This Time" at least a couple of times already, maybe one version was on a live album.

by Anonymousreply 364October 5, 2020 3:25 AM

R361 Everyone stole from Kaye.

by Anonymousreply 365October 5, 2020 3:34 AM

I stole "If You Hadn't But You Did."

by Anonymousreply 366October 5, 2020 3:35 AM

I stole "My Coloring Book."

by Anonymousreply 367October 5, 2020 3:35 AM

That makes sense. I had often wondered why "Maybe This Time" wasn't nominated for Best Song.

by Anonymousreply 368October 5, 2020 3:55 AM

I stole her double headed black dildo.

by Anonymousreply 369October 5, 2020 3:57 AM

I hit her follow spot.

by Anonymousreply 370October 5, 2020 1:14 PM

Were Kander and Ebb ever a couple? Fred Ebb is a bit of a footnote in the real Looking for Mr Goodbar case, which I found interesting

by Anonymousreply 371October 5, 2020 1:32 PM

I was astonished to read recently that the wonderful lyricist Fred Ebb was never out. Never open about being gay, not ever, through a lifetime of making musical theatre, hanging with LIza, Bacall, Chita, etc.

Can someone confirm? I realize he was part of another generation, but I was shocked nonetheless.

What about John Kander?

by Anonymousreply 372October 5, 2020 1:49 PM

I remember reading an interview with them where Kander and Ebb said they were never a couple. Same with Comden and Green.

by Anonymousreply 373October 5, 2020 1:51 PM

Due to Miss Armelia's passing, decided to rewatch the filmed-for-tv Ain't Misbehavin' last night. What a dynamite group of performers.

What struck me was how much material McQueen has compared to the other ladies. Sure, they all get a chance to strut and hog the limelight, but of the three McQueen seems to do the most - by herself and with the rest of the ensemble. She has so much stagetime that I think if the show were to be revived today, her track might have a good shot at a Lead nomination.

I did notice that McQueen's first big solo "Squeeze Me" was cut from the broadcast. Anyone know why? I'm assuming some combination of running time or Standards & Practices purposes. Having never seen the original production, I have no idea how the number was staged but can imagine it being a little too suggestive or "adult." The broadcast also notes "Nell Carter starring in" so perhaps someone at NBC pulled a Helen Lawson and cut the song as to not overshadow their new TV star?

by Anonymousreply 374October 5, 2020 4:06 PM

I never saw the show other than the TV Broadcast and "Squeeze Me" was the number that made me fall in love with McQueen. Her giggling is just adorable.

by Anonymousreply 375October 5, 2020 4:14 PM

"Squeeze Me" was performed very simply. She sang it pretty straight, as I recall, downstage, standing in front of the back of the piano. The little giggle she gives was for a moment when the spotlight closes in on her and appears to "squeeze" her. Just unfussy, smart staging and she just delivered the song, with no pyrotechnics. A lost art.

by Anonymousreply 376October 5, 2020 4:17 PM

I went to check the televised Ain't Misbehavin' on YouTube. There's a good quality version that doesn't have "Squeeze Me," which is probably what you saw, R374, but it's in this version, around the five minute mark. The copy is not as good, unfortunately.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377October 5, 2020 4:22 PM

Brava, Armelia!

What a privilege it was to see the original company in the original production. During the finale was only time I've actually seen people get up out of their seat and dance in the aisles during a Broadway show. I wish I had been smart enough to join them.

by Anonymousreply 378October 5, 2020 4:36 PM

Who replaced Irene Cara?

by Anonymousreply 379October 5, 2020 4:37 PM

That whole original company of AIN'T MISBEHAVIN was truly magic.

by Anonymousreply 380October 5, 2020 4:39 PM

Thank you for this R377! I did indeed watch the version with better picture quality and not chopped into segments. It cuts from "Honeysuckle Rose" to a shot of audience applause and then back to the Henderson's back at the piano for "Handful of Keys."

So glad to see this performance of "Squeeze Me." Armelia is in a word - adorable. Such wonderful phrasing and technique too.

by Anonymousreply 381October 5, 2020 4:41 PM

R378, Charlayne Woodard took Irene Cara's role when the show moved to Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 382October 5, 2020 4:46 PM

I can't quite imagine Cara playing what Woodard described as the stereotypical dumb/childlike black girl. Did anyone see Cara in the show?

by Anonymousreply 383October 5, 2020 4:49 PM

Why did Irene Cara think going topless in "Fame" was a good career move?

by Anonymousreply 384October 5, 2020 4:50 PM

Nudity was very common in the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 385October 5, 2020 4:52 PM

R383, I think Cara was a better actress than she was given credit for. She could have pulled it off.

Also, remember the role was built on Cara. I think Woodard was uncomfortable because as a replacement, she has less impact on shaping the material. But as the original, Cara would have had the part tailored to her. (There was no script---just a bunch of songs and performers.)

by Anonymousreply 386October 5, 2020 4:53 PM

R384 I think there was a thread about her tits. Ain't Misbehaving, along with Piaf were the only Broadway shows released in my country. Watched them both so many times, was amazed at the talent. Would kill for a copy of Piaf now.

Anyhoo, Kiri Te Kanawa - 'I am not a car wash cunt'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 387October 5, 2020 4:54 PM

[Quote] I think Woodard was uncomfortable because as a replacement, she has less impact on shaping the material.

And probably because Woodard was an unambiguous, dark skin black woman. Those old stereotypes tended to be pushed with people who looked like Woodard, not Cara.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388October 5, 2020 5:00 PM

Yerma.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 389October 5, 2020 5:00 PM

Woodard did a tv musical called "Cindy" which was a black Cinderella tale with Clifton Davis as the Prince, possibly Nell Carter was in too, not long before "Ain't Misbehavin' ". I remember it was cute, but no one ever brings it up.

by Anonymousreply 390October 5, 2020 5:01 PM

Was that the same piece Cleo Laine did in the UK with... Elisabeth... Somebody.

by Anonymousreply 391October 5, 2020 5:09 PM

Thanks R389, you continue to be the best thing of 2020.

by Anonymousreply 392October 5, 2020 5:11 PM

Cameron Mackintosh - Cocksucker - Act One.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393October 5, 2020 5:22 PM

R393 A very literal LOL

by Anonymousreply 394October 5, 2020 5:39 PM

r391, no. Cindy was an off-Broadway musical that produced an album I have somewhere gathering dust; it had an original score. Cleo's was CindyElla, whose score was made up of folk songs. Kind of a jukebox musical. And the Elizabeth was Elisabeth Welch. Something of a legend whose career began in the 1920s. That too produced an album.

by Anonymousreply 395October 5, 2020 6:55 PM

Thanks, r395.

by Anonymousreply 396October 5, 2020 7:00 PM

Are you sure it wasn't this version?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397October 5, 2020 8:04 PM

I saw the original cast in Ain't Misbehavin 11 times. I am so happy that it was filmed for people to enjoy. I didn't know it was done. 11 of the best theatrical experiences of my life. Very sorry Woodard feels the way she does. She was wonderful. And hilarious in a knowing way.

by Anonymousreply 398October 5, 2020 8:55 PM

I saw the show several times as well and by the time they did the NBC taping, the cast had gotten too comfortable in the roles and didn't give us that unexpected flash. Too much had been hashed out already. Even the Tony Awards number is considerably better than what they did for the taping.

by Anonymousreply 399October 5, 2020 9:11 PM

Not that I'm trying to horn in on Valens' turf, but here is Cindy w/ Charlaine Woodard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400October 5, 2020 9:16 PM

Charlaine's one woman show had a bit where she talked about doing the revival of AM. She said that in the middle of "Keepin out of Mischief Now", she heard Nell say to one of the crew "who wants a chicken wing?"

by Anonymousreply 401October 5, 2020 9:19 PM

I read an interview with the producer of the original cast album of Ain’t Misbehavin, and he made some comment that the more takes the cast did of a song the less energy each new take had.

by Anonymousreply 402October 5, 2020 9:23 PM

Well I guess I'll keep clear of the tape. Who wants wonderful memories smudged? What year was it done? I saw performances that were better than the obc. The recording doesn't capture it at its best.

by Anonymousreply 403October 5, 2020 9:33 PM

Weren't most cast albums recorded on the Sunday after opening back then? I wouldn't be surprised if the cast didn't have many takes in them.

by Anonymousreply 404October 5, 2020 9:35 PM

I saw the last Broadway preview of Ain't Misbehavin'. It was electrifying fun, and the audience roared at the end. One of the best shows I've seen, and the OBCR brings it all back. (I, too, found the NBC taping to be less electric. Of course, it always helps to be in the actual audience.)

by Anonymousreply 405October 5, 2020 9:57 PM

R400 Ha, go for it, darl. Good share.

Blithe Spirit with Noel, Betty, Claudette and Mildred.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406October 5, 2020 11:17 PM

Holy shit! Thank, r406.

by Anonymousreply 407October 5, 2020 11:35 PM

Yes, thank you! Elisabeth Welch...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408October 5, 2020 11:43 PM

R408, Welch was in "Jerome Kern Goes to Hollywood" and it was heralded as one of the great Broadway performances but she lost the Tony to Bebe for Sweet Charity.

by Anonymousreply 409October 5, 2020 11:58 PM

R406 I KNOW! Took awhile, but got the fucker.

by Anonymousreply 410October 5, 2020 11:58 PM

r406 - I imagine Marion felt herself in very starry company!

by Anonymousreply 411October 5, 2020 11:59 PM

Please find the 1987 London FOLLIES !

by Anonymousreply 412October 5, 2020 11:59 PM

I saw the 1987 London FOLLIES. Somebody please wipe it from my memory.

by Anonymousreply 413October 6, 2020 12:03 AM

R412 Not out there, and I don't do handbags. One must have some standards.

by Anonymousreply 414October 6, 2020 12:11 AM

The Follies bootleg must be out there if Aurora Borealis posted multiple numbers from it. Or is he that guy - Ethan Mordred - y'all sometimes talk about?

by Anonymousreply 415October 6, 2020 12:13 AM

R415 I meant a real filming...am sure a handbag is out there.

by Anonymousreply 416October 6, 2020 12:30 AM

Aurora Borealis, r415?

by Anonymousreply 417October 6, 2020 1:28 PM

It's a thing of beauty, r417....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418October 6, 2020 1:31 PM

At this time of year?

by Anonymousreply 419October 6, 2020 2:41 PM

Why not?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 420October 6, 2020 2:44 PM

Broadway soon to announce its staying closed until Fall 2021...

by Anonymousreply 421October 6, 2020 4:02 PM

Aurora has uploaded audio of Betty as the Witch in the workshop of ItW

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 422October 6, 2020 6:01 PM

Leslie Caron - Cock Sucker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423October 6, 2020 6:10 PM

How about some really old gossip? I’m reading an interesting book about Fred and Adele Astaire, and in it Adele gave an interview where she thought George Gershwin was impotent. “George loved all the girls but absolutely I know he was impotent,” said Adele. “He never got terribly involved with anybody. He was a neuter. I would’ve had George except he wasn’t given to women. And he wasn’t given to men either. I think that’s what caused his brain tumor—something wasn’t getting stimulated.“

by Anonymousreply 424October 6, 2020 6:11 PM

Sweeny Todd - starring Neil Patrick Harris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425October 6, 2020 6:12 PM

Cameron Mackintosh - Still Sucking - Act 2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 426October 6, 2020 6:15 PM

R406 And this is Blithe Spirit with Betty and Noel.

by Anonymousreply 427October 6, 2020 6:16 PM

Well, r424, if something wasn't getting stimulated, I don't think the tumor would have been on his brain.

by Anonymousreply 428October 6, 2020 6:31 PM

I have heard some people suggest that George Gershwin was gay but deeply closeted, for obvious reasons. It would be nice to claim one of the greatest composers in all of history as gay, but of course, it doesn't really matter, and anyway, we have so many others :-)

by Anonymousreply 429October 6, 2020 6:39 PM

If he was gay, then it does matter. We shouldn't have gay history?

by Anonymousreply 430October 6, 2020 6:46 PM

They aren't having live concerts until 2022, so sadly, Fall of 2021 sounds optimistic for Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 431October 6, 2020 6:49 PM

R425 you mean "Sweeny Todd starring George Hearn and Patti LuPone" -with Neil Patrick Harris

by Anonymousreply 432October 6, 2020 7:05 PM

R432 I wanted to throw the little shit a bone. I am still in therapy after his Sondheim birthday performance.

by Anonymousreply 433October 6, 2020 7:17 PM

Betty is really good in that Blithe Spirit. Was Mildred's wandering accent a character choice?

by Anonymousreply 434October 6, 2020 7:30 PM

HI Valens, thanks for making the confinement bearable for so many of us. Do you happen to have Imelda´s version of Gypsy among your treasures? I really enjoyed Virginia Woolf, BTW. Thanks again!

by Anonymousreply 435October 6, 2020 7:44 PM

[quote][R425] you mean "Sweeny Todd starring George Hearn and Patti LuPone" -with Neil Patrick Harris

No, you mean SWEENEY Todd.

by Anonymousreply 436October 6, 2020 7:50 PM

She really was quite comfortable on the stage, r434. She was smart to go that route, like Angie. And they both had the discipline and stamina to do it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 437October 6, 2020 7:52 PM

R435 Sure, shall throw it up tomorrow. Is......interesting.

by Anonymousreply 438October 6, 2020 8:02 PM

Someone should throw up an audio boot as well. It's instructive to compare.

by Anonymousreply 439October 6, 2020 8:03 PM

R33- Sit Down You’re Rocking The Boat is the definition of an 11 oClock number. And I think it’s the best one. You don’t know what you’re talking about.

by Anonymousreply 440October 6, 2020 8:03 PM

R439 You mean of Gypsy? As many here have said she was actually good in Gypsy, and the broadcast version was bizarrely not what they saw on stage, it would be cool to compare. To feel out what the truth is. Cause from what I saw, her mama Rose stunk.

by Anonymousreply 441October 6, 2020 8:07 PM

[quote]Sure, shall throw it up tomorrow

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 442October 6, 2020 8:07 PM

Someone should throw up on Imelda.

by Anonymousreply 443October 6, 2020 8:07 PM

r441 yes.

by Anonymousreply 444October 6, 2020 8:09 PM

R441 I saw Imelda live. She was not good. But Lara Pulver's Louise was much much worse.

by Anonymousreply 445October 6, 2020 8:33 PM

I saw Imelda on a two show day. She was way more than good. The rest of the cast I could take or leave.

by Anonymousreply 446October 6, 2020 8:36 PM

Sorry, I've seen Imelda now in Gypsy, Virginia Woolf and Follies and she has stunk out loud in all of them. She is a terrible stage actress.

by Anonymousreply 447October 6, 2020 8:47 PM

You saw her in recordings of stage performances. Not an ideal situation.

by Anonymousreply 448October 6, 2020 8:52 PM

Broadway will re-open next summer.

by Anonymousreply 449October 6, 2020 9:23 PM

Come Summer...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 450October 6, 2020 9:30 PM

R448 face it, she sucks on stage!

by Anonymousreply 451October 6, 2020 9:55 PM

[Quote] face it, she sucks on stage!

Your opinion doesn't weigh as much as you do.

by Anonymousreply 452October 6, 2020 9:56 PM

Does anyone have a complete version of Bette in Hello Dolly?

by Anonymousreply 453October 6, 2020 9:58 PM

Regarding the TV version of [italic]Ain't Misbehavin'[/italic], with all the money lavished by Columbia on [italic]Annie[/italic] (which Nell Carter would, of course, later end up in), you'd think their TV division would have enough money to clear the music rights in perpetuity, not just for one broadcast, so they could at least put it out on video. I have never seen a legal release in any medium.

by Anonymousreply 454October 6, 2020 9:58 PM

Imelda was an excellent Baker's Wife in INTO THE WOODS. And she was a very fine Rose (saw it live) but missed the mark for me because the character she created lacked a certain charm.

by Anonymousreply 455October 6, 2020 10:08 PM

The audience ate her up.

by Anonymousreply 456October 6, 2020 10:13 PM

Imelda must have one of the most varied careers in musical theatre. She played Dorothy Fucking Gale on stage.

by Anonymousreply 457October 6, 2020 10:14 PM

[quote] The audience ate her up.

Pics please.

No, wait. On second thought, no thanks

by Anonymousreply 458October 6, 2020 10:19 PM

R457 in what?

by Anonymousreply 459October 6, 2020 10:39 PM

Somewhere in the regions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 460October 6, 2020 10:51 PM

Gershwin died at the age of 38. He was popular, handsome and rich and came from a conservative Jewish background. And everyone knows Jewish men are the horniest. No girlfriends. No wife. And in that era not to be married at the age of 38? Yes I know Kitty Carlisle claimed to be a girlfriend but look who she ended up marrying. Who else? No one.

Adele Astaire said he was not a heterosexual. 'If he had been I would have known.' You can imagine all the women in showbiz of the era gossiping and trading stories about the men they were seeing and sleeping with. And there was no talk about THE most available bachelor of the day? She said as has been noted he was a 'neuter.' Which I assume she meant what we would today call a person who was asexual. In show biz? Not in a million years. This man was so closeted he was suffocating to death.

by Anonymousreply 461October 6, 2020 11:08 PM

R460 Was Imelda the oldest Dorothy ever? Or does the title still belong to Diana Ross?

by Anonymousreply 462October 6, 2020 11:58 PM

[quote]Was Imelda the oldest Dorothy ever? Or does the title still belong to Diana Ross?

Ahem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 463October 7, 2020 12:05 AM

[quote] You saw her in recordings of stage performances. Not an ideal situation.

One production, you may have an argument. Two, your cause is weakening, but go on. Three, the problem is obviously Imelda and not the recordings, otherwise there would be several other recordings where good people come off badly.

It's Imelda, hon.

by Anonymousreply 464October 7, 2020 3:45 AM

Ben Gazarra and Barbara Bel Geddes are not so hot in that TV excerpt from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." I'm not going to deem them failures in their roles. I didn't see the production.

by Anonymousreply 465October 7, 2020 3:49 AM

Didn't Ethel Merman allow Gershwin to finger her and that's how she was cast in Girl Crazy?

by Anonymousreply 466October 7, 2020 4:35 AM

[quote] Didn't Ethel Merman allow Gershwin to finger her and that's how she was cast in Girl Crazy?

Sort of. She carried a piano in there. I wrote Rhapsody in Blue on it.

by Anonymousreply 467October 7, 2020 4:37 AM

R467 Carried a piano, in her where?

by Anonymousreply 468October 7, 2020 6:07 AM

Judging performances from a few minutes of video is foolish. I would have killed to have seen Bel Geddes and Gazzara live.

by Anonymousreply 469October 7, 2020 12:07 PM

Would you like to see them dead?

by Anonymousreply 470October 7, 2020 1:17 PM

Covita

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 471October 7, 2020 1:56 PM

I have seen Imelda many times on stage, Follies (2), Gypsy, VW, Sweeney Todd (3), Entertaining Mr. Sloane and, I think, maybe a couple other times. I did not care about her VWat the beginning but she was great in the third act. Her Lovett was the best I have ever seen. And she is always great. Yes, I am a fan. I also agree that I cannot watch 20 minutes of the Gypsy on video. But that happens with a lot of opera voices, on stage/live they are great, on tape/record, yowza.

by Anonymousreply 472October 7, 2020 2:03 PM

RR/PL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 473October 7, 2020 2:11 PM

The Lincoln Project is freakin' brilliant. Any thoughts as to who the singer is? (they haven't said, yet).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 474October 7, 2020 2:22 PM

They are thugs, just like the thing they oppose. Don’t trust them; they are snakes in the grass.

by Anonymousreply 475October 7, 2020 2:23 PM

sounds like Carolee Carmello to me doing Covida. Any other thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 476October 7, 2020 2:28 PM

Imelda's Rose is brilliant. That stated, it needed to be dialed back a bit for the camera. But she is the first Rose I've ever seen who gives us a Trumpian-scaled child abuser and master manipulator. That's what it takes to go the distance with the story arc of GYPSY.

A characterization like we usually see in which Rose charm's folks to get things done doesn't really explain anything that happens in the show. Why the husbands all left. Why June leaves. Why Herbie leaves. Why even Mr. Grantzinger won't meet her. A seasoned producer, he knows an ego when he sees it. She's a raging narcissist who charms folks for a while. But only for a while. And once she is comfortable enough and provoked enough, out comes the real Rose.

She's cruel to those kids in the first scene. That's a big risk. But then she and the director built on it. The performance she delivers is full of wonderful detail. Beating her hand into June's letter while snarling, "I'm her mother and I made her" is breathtaking. She is equally strong in the dressing room scene with Louise late in Act 2. And she is consistently narcissistic to the end. Staunton gave Louise a mother to hate and to fear and to manage and to finally have to accept.

But, yes. I would have liked there to be more time to adjust things for the camera. Perhaps record it without an audience to get things better calibrated. But hands down, she is the best Rose. Only Patti Lu can compare favorably.

by Anonymousreply 477October 7, 2020 3:01 PM

I don't think it even registered in the broadcast, that performance was done at such a clip, but I thought it was a brilliant choice for Imelda to seize up when Louise hugs her in the kitchen, before "Some People." The character to whom Rose shows the least love is the one who will never abandon her.

by Anonymousreply 478October 7, 2020 3:21 PM

Imelda's "Everything's Coming Up Roses" was also the first time where it occured to me that her family are not scared of her so much as they are scared FOR her.

by Anonymousreply 479October 7, 2020 3:24 PM

[quote]The Lincoln Project is freakin' brilliant

Just never forget that as soon as Trump is done they're going to turn those same tactics on Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 480October 7, 2020 4:14 PM

A Rose without surface charm is not Rose. Songs like "Small World" and "You'll Never Get. Away From Me" are there to show how she manipulates people by flattering and flirting. If you think that Patti and Imelda were the best Rose, I'm guessing you didn't see Lansbury. And Merman. by all accounts, was full of charm.

by Anonymousreply 481October 7, 2020 4:16 PM

Tommy Rall has died at age 90. No obit I can link to at the moment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482October 7, 2020 4:21 PM

Dems have to learn how to be as aggressive politically as Repubs -- that's why those ads from Lincoln Project done the Repubs are so good.

by Anonymousreply 483October 7, 2020 4:30 PM

The singer in that Lincoln Project “Evita” vid sounds like Laura Benanti to me.

by Anonymousreply 484October 7, 2020 5:02 PM

R482 NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

by Anonymousreply 485October 7, 2020 5:51 PM

Gypsy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486October 7, 2020 5:55 PM

Agree about Lansbury, r481. She was sexy, scrappy, and she benefited from the addition of the continued bowing after the applause ended.

by Anonymousreply 487October 7, 2020 5:59 PM

The Crucible with Richard Armitage - Act One.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 488October 7, 2020 6:05 PM

The Crucible - Act Two.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 489October 7, 2020 6:06 PM

And as I am sure nobody has seen it, for comparisons sake, Imelda in Follies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 490October 7, 2020 6:08 PM

Is R484 that horrible AndPeggy, who just posted the same thing to ATC?

by Anonymousreply 491October 7, 2020 6:17 PM

Oooooo. We're comin' to get you AndPeggy!

by Anonymousreply 492October 7, 2020 6:23 PM

Which reminds me, I can't remember the last time I went to ATC.

by Anonymousreply 493October 7, 2020 6:24 PM

WE SEE YOU ANDPEGGY!

by Anonymousreply 494October 7, 2020 6:25 PM

WE SEE YOU WHITE ANDPEGGY!

by Anonymousreply 495October 7, 2020 6:25 PM

Getting my own back after being attacked by andPeggy on ATC!

by Anonymousreply 496October 7, 2020 6:32 PM

We have ATCers in our midst?!

by Anonymousreply 497October 7, 2020 6:40 PM

I doubt they are in our "midst" r497.

More like the dark and dusty corners.

by Anonymousreply 498October 7, 2020 6:42 PM

I *was* an ATCer but they kicked me out of the club some years back. I joined soon after the turn of the century...

by Anonymousreply 499October 7, 2020 6:45 PM

Da butt

by Anonymousreply 500October 7, 2020 6:47 PM

OK, I'll bite, what is ATC?

by Anonymousreply 501October 7, 2020 6:47 PM

Did you criticize the food?

by Anonymousreply 502October 7, 2020 6:47 PM

All that Chat

by Anonymousreply 503October 7, 2020 6:47 PM

If that's for me, r502, I had posted Youtube links that I thought were o.k. but they deemed bootleggy. They emailed me that if I did it again, they'd boot me. I rarely went to that email so I didn't read it. The next time I posted a link that I thought was safely within their perimeters...they decided it wasn't and booted me. I thought it all rather arbitrary and to them I said "What..ev...uh.

by Anonymousreply 504October 7, 2020 7:01 PM

The Covita singer has been revealed to be Lisa Howard.

by Anonymousreply 505October 7, 2020 7:05 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 506October 7, 2020 7:10 PM

Ooooohhhh, that one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 507October 7, 2020 7:13 PM

R477, I agree with a lot of what you wrote, but my problem with Imelda in the GYPSY video is not that that there's too much anger or bitterness or narcissism in the performance, but that, on a purely technical level, she overacts ALL of her emotions, and/or one might say that she always seems to be indicating rather than honestly communicating the emotions. I'm guessing the performance would come across at least a little better if you were watching it live from the farther reaches of a large theater, but I have never seen her live, so I can't say.

by Anonymousreply 508October 7, 2020 7:20 PM

I was just at the passarelle. I could have knocked Imelda over for some of the denizens of DL if I had wanted to do so.

by Anonymousreply 509October 7, 2020 7:31 PM

The problem of the recording wasn't just the size, it was the speed.

by Anonymousreply 510October 7, 2020 7:31 PM

Prom photos!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 511October 7, 2020 7:33 PM

Oh FFS, how the hell does Plateface Rannells work so much?

by Anonymousreply 512October 7, 2020 8:17 PM

r512 Have you not noticed that just about everything he does is for Miss Murphy?

by Anonymousreply 513October 7, 2020 8:18 PM

Corden's in it? Hard pass. Saw it on Broadway and left at intermission.

by Anonymousreply 514October 7, 2020 8:44 PM

[quote] A characterization like we usually see in which Rose charms folks to get things done doesn't really explain anything that happens in the show

And yet it’s extremely accurate to the real Rose Hovick.

by Anonymousreply 515October 8, 2020 3:13 AM

[quote] A characterization like we usually see in which Rose charms folks to get things done doesn't really explain anything that happens in the show

And yet it’s extremely accurate to the real Rose Hovick.

by Anonymousreply 516October 8, 2020 3:13 AM

Broadway announcement coming tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 517October 8, 2020 4:43 PM

Tony nominations being announced on October 15.

by Anonymousreply 518October 8, 2020 5:17 PM

Lungs - socially distanced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 519October 8, 2020 5:53 PM

Next to Normal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 520October 8, 2020 5:56 PM

Nunsence with Rue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 521October 8, 2020 6:04 PM

What was Bernstein's relationship with Sondheim like? I recently watched the documentary about the making of the operatic recording of WSS with Kiri Te Kanawa, José Carreras, etc. In it, Bernstein credits Arthur Laurents with giving the Sharks and Jets their words, and doesn't mention Sondheim at all.

by Anonymousreply 522October 8, 2020 7:34 PM

Betty in her full belting glory doing “And Eve Was Weak” from Carrie at Carnegie Hall.

Unfortunately, this scary/crazy portrayal is also how she played Rose in Gypsy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 523October 8, 2020 9:07 PM

Does anyone even give a fuck about the Tony nominations? Who even remembers the shows at this point?

In any case, if Jeremy O. Harris HAS to get a Tony, I'm glad it will be where no one is paying attention to him.

by Anonymousreply 524October 8, 2020 9:35 PM

Pure, white hot steel r523.

Never heard another voice like that before or since.

by Anonymousreply 525October 8, 2020 9:39 PM

R517 Broadway World and NBC News New York already reporting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 526October 9, 2020 3:18 AM

BroadwayWorld doesn't "report" anything. So pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 527October 9, 2020 3:45 AM

So when they say May 30, 2021, I assume that means the performers will go back in March or April so they can be ready in time for May? After over a year off, everyone is going to need time to get back up to snuff.

by Anonymousreply 528October 9, 2020 3:54 AM

I don't think so R528. I think the date is just another date because nobody knows what might happen by then. If there is no vaccine or the numbers have dramatically plummeted, I doubt that we will go to the theatre in April. Remember when, back in March, we thought it might take a couple of weeks or a month, tops? And here we still are, entering fall and not looking good at all. I wish I could be more optimistic but I think we are so fucked. More than I could ever imagined at my most pessimistic. Shit.

by Anonymousreply 529October 9, 2020 8:56 AM

[quote]What was Bernstein's relationship with Sondheim like?

From various books I've read, their relationship was good during WSS. Bernstein was originally going to be credited as co-lyricist, but most of Bernstein's lyrics didn't make it into the final show, so Bernstein generously (IMO) gave up his lyricist credit. He also offered to increase Sondheim's royalty, but Sondheim turned him down, a decision he later regretted very much. Years later, when Sondheim agreed to write new lyrics for the 1970s production of Candide, he said he would only do it if Bernstein was hands-off and didn't try to lecture Sondheim on how to do his job. The two of them later tried to collaborate with Jerome Robbins on a Brecht-based musical, but it didn't get very far.

by Anonymousreply 530October 9, 2020 1:18 PM

I know for a fact that Sondheim was amused/irritated by Bernstein's inflated ego and preening in the latter part of the latter's career.

by Anonymousreply 531October 9, 2020 1:28 PM

So I have it on good authority that the actual date of announcement WAS going to be Sept 2021, but when it got leaked, they rolled it back to May 30th, but that's just a placeholder. It will definitely be Sept of 2021 unless some miracle happens.

by Anonymousreply 532October 9, 2020 7:38 PM

After COVID-19 Shutdown, 7 Broadway Actors Return to Their Theaters:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 533October 9, 2020 8:41 PM

Glenn Close, Patti LuPone, and more stars teamed up for "The Great Work Begins: Scenes from Angels in America":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 534October 9, 2020 8:43 PM

R533

[quote]Right after the pandemic started, I walked from my apartment in Hell’s Kitchen to the theater and put my hands on the stage door to bless it

Well, no-one ever said actors were smart.

by Anonymousreply 535October 9, 2020 8:46 PM

That’s totally something he’d say. A meaningless platitude.

by Anonymousreply 536October 9, 2020 8:52 PM

Is this worth watching? I can't imagine it wasn't discussed....but I don't remember. So many things...I don't...remember.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 537October 9, 2020 9:28 PM

Viva Latino.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 538October 9, 2020 10:02 PM

The Emperor Jones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539October 9, 2020 10:03 PM

Gray Gardens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 540October 9, 2020 10:06 PM

This was such an oddball film...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 541October 9, 2020 11:42 PM

Oddball it was....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 542October 9, 2020 11:55 PM

Another AFT offering...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 543October 9, 2020 11:56 PM

The Music Man not opening till early 2022 now.

by Anonymousreply 544October 10, 2020 12:36 AM

[quote] What was Bernstein's relationship with Sondheim like?

Lenny was the bottom.

by Anonymousreply 545October 10, 2020 12:57 AM

Which Betty, Bacall or Comden?

by Anonymousreply 546October 10, 2020 4:47 PM

Betty Davis, Rose.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 547October 10, 2020 6:00 PM

A Night Out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 548October 10, 2020 6:10 PM

Mood Music - Old Vic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 549October 10, 2020 6:14 PM

The Last Five Years - socially distanced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 550October 10, 2020 6:17 PM

Melba

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 551October 10, 2020 9:04 PM

My stars. That Stella Deems was really something back in the day...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 552October 10, 2020 9:33 PM

Ha. I clicked on that link expecting to see someone black, that's how ingrained the insistence on casting Stella as a POC has become.

by Anonymousreply 553October 10, 2020 9:42 PM

But apparently she is very lovely.

by Anonymousreply 554October 10, 2020 10:12 PM

Dick & Elaine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 555October 10, 2020 10:26 PM

Where are you, Phyllissss???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 556October 11, 2020 6:51 PM

R552. Dyke, ya know.

by Anonymousreply 557October 11, 2020 7:43 PM

The Importance of Being Earnest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 558October 11, 2020 7:49 PM

Hyde - The Ballet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 559October 11, 2020 7:51 PM

Song and Dance Man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 560October 11, 2020 7:54 PM

Translations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 561October 11, 2020 7:58 PM

Broadway Salute--Patti LuPone, Nell Carter, Sammy Davis, Jim Dale--1981 TV

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 562October 11, 2020 11:41 PM

^

Rainbow High at 28:20. She absolutely rips through it and at the end turns humbly demure with her thank yous.

by Anonymousreply 563October 11, 2020 11:47 PM

Apparently before Glocca Morra, she touted 52nd Street....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 564October 12, 2020 12:15 AM

More Ella...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 565October 12, 2020 12:20 AM

Angie & Danny

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 566October 12, 2020 1:37 AM

Thanks for that socially distanced Last Five Years, R550. For me, nothing will ever top the original Off-Broadway pairing of Norbert and Sherie, but I always love seeing other actors in those roles. The ending always makes me cry. I know...MARY!

by Anonymousreply 567October 12, 2020 5:55 PM

The Night before The Morning After.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 568October 12, 2020 5:57 PM

The Boy Who Danced On Air.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 569October 12, 2020 5:59 PM

June Moon with Steve Sondheim.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 570October 12, 2020 6:02 PM

R570 Did you notice that Steve was wearing .... a HAT?

by Anonymousreply 571October 12, 2020 9:07 PM

Stratas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 572October 12, 2020 9:24 PM

Thanks, R572. That's one of the performances I wish I had caught in person. Love the score and the CD that was recorded with Julia Migenes-Johnson taking the place of Stratas, but every bootleg recording I've heard of Stratas in the role has been phenomenal.

by Anonymousreply 573October 13, 2020 4:33 PM

New thread up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 574October 13, 2020 5:17 PM

Why are you putting a new thread up this early?

by Anonymousreply 575October 13, 2020 5:48 PM

It was started as the new old thread, but some cheap cunt started a new one half way through the other one, as it was paywalled. So that one became a spare, which is now the new thread, incorrectly numbered, and people are using it already as this thread has now been patwalled and some people are really really fucking cheap and will not pay the 2 bucks.

by Anonymousreply 576October 13, 2020 5:58 PM

I'll patwall you motherfucker!

by Anonymousreply 577October 13, 2020 6:12 PM

Phyllis on Lost Horizon...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 578October 13, 2020 6:18 PM

I would love to see Lost Horizon on stage.

by Anonymousreply 579October 13, 2020 6:26 PM

R579, One of my better scores.

by Anonymousreply 580October 13, 2020 6:44 PM

Oh dear...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 581October 13, 2020 7:01 PM

Jonelle...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 582October 13, 2020 8:04 PM

Agree R581. There are all these people in some of the online Broadway groups who love her but from everything (and HEARD) of it, Geraldine Fitzgerald's cabaret act was actually an act of terrorism.

by Anonymousreply 583October 13, 2020 11:59 PM

I do find it interesting that the actress who played Bette Davis's best friend in "Dark Victory" (1939) was performing "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina" more than 40 years later.

by Anonymousreply 584October 14, 2020 12:47 AM

Performing is such a polite verb, r584.

by Anonymousreply 585October 14, 2020 12:52 AM

Which is why I chose it, R585.

by Anonymousreply 586October 14, 2020 12:53 AM

At least she is having a go.

by Anonymousreply 587October 14, 2020 2:01 AM

Mary dubbing Maggie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 588October 14, 2020 2:15 AM

[quote] Mary dubbing Maggie

Is that what they called rubbing the clam between the tongue and the top of your teeth back then?

by Anonymousreply 589October 14, 2020 3:22 AM

^Ask Mary Martin.

by Anonymousreply 590October 14, 2020 3:26 AM

R583, Fitzgerald was an OK actress when she was young but ended up a tiresome old hag who insisted on imposing her mediocrity for years before she finally croaked.

by Anonymousreply 591October 14, 2020 3:44 AM

Stella is cockhungry. Always has been.

by Anonymousreply 592October 14, 2020 10:24 AM

Bajour!

by Anonymousreply 593October 14, 2020 6:15 PM

Aw hell, may as well pull out the Miss Nichols card...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 594October 14, 2020 6:18 PM

Spill those Les Miz hate stories, Patricia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 595October 14, 2020 10:25 PM

Great show!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 596October 14, 2020 10:28 PM

PATRICIA????

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 597October 14, 2020 10:29 PM

I want it all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 598October 14, 2020 10:32 PM

Bajour?

by Anonymousreply 599October 14, 2020 10:33 PM

Bajour!

by Anonymousreply 600October 14, 2020 10:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!