Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's the deal with the Imperial House of Japan?

You don't hear much about them, but I've always been curious about how tightly-controlled the Japanese Royal Family seems to be compared to other Royals. You won't see one of them wandering around wearing a crop top like the King of Thailand. HOW did they end up so controlled by the the Imperial Household Agency? Any gossip? Can someone explain?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 24, 2020 5:50 PM

Oh they just basically suck out your soul and make you a walking husk.

by Anonymousreply 1September 23, 2020 4:08 AM

I'm glad you asked, OP.

One thing i am especially curious about is what happened to thecourtiers in the Imperial Household Agency now that Naruhito has assumed the throne. My understanding was that when she was Crown princess, Masako was pitlessly bullied by the Imperial Household Agency for not being able to conceive a male heir, and that the former empress (Michiko, Masako's mother-in-law) pretty much approved of this. the Crown prince was really upset about this, but since he had no authority over the IHA, he could do nothing (although he did complain about their treatment of her to the press).

Now that Naruhito is emperor and Masako is empress, and Akihito and Michiko have been retired to the imperial glue factory, I would think that the IHA would be answerable to Masako now, and that she and Naruhito would have immeediately forced some of the worst bullies out of the Agency. (Michiko and her husband Akihito, i would think, have no authority there any more since they officially retired.) But I've heard nothing about this. Does anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 2September 23, 2020 5:11 AM

The little old man is so cute! I just want to take him home and facefuck him

by Anonymousreply 3September 23, 2020 8:00 AM

I've wondered the same, R2. But discretion is the name of the game for the Japanese Imperial family, so we won't hear about any of it. I hope the new Emperor and Empress make some changes to fashion protocol for the entire family. The way the women dress is strange, to say the least. It's a weird mish-mash of British style from the 1940's/50's, but with what seems to be a great deal of upholstery fabric.

by Anonymousreply 4September 23, 2020 12:21 PM

You're right, r4. But I will say that soft ivory silk jacket the current Empress is wearing is the most flattering thing she's worn in years.

by Anonymousreply 5September 23, 2020 4:16 PM

Masako used to have to wear these frump boxy outfits with padded shoulders, and horrible teen-tiny hats. I would guess these were her mother-in-law's choice, rather than her own, back when she had to do what her mother-in-law insised.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 23, 2020 5:41 PM

with six you get eggroll

by Anonymousreply 7September 23, 2020 5:42 PM

How much do Japanese people actually care about their royal family? Do they hold a big place in the culture?

by Anonymousreply 8September 23, 2020 11:21 PM

Wrong fucking country R7.

by Anonymousreply 9September 23, 2020 11:25 PM

You'd think they could afford better hairstyling.

by Anonymousreply 10September 23, 2020 11:26 PM

[quote] How much do Japanese people actually care about their royal family? Do they hold a big place in the culture?

They used to revere the emperor as semi-divine just a few generations ago and is still considered of immense importance to Japanese conservatives.

by Anonymousreply 11September 23, 2020 11:37 PM

After WWII, the Americans wanted to hang the emperor for being a fucking war criminal, but a few of the Japanese people who were not war-mongers convinced them not to.

"OK", said General MacArthur, "but if those fucks set one toe out of line, so help me God I will kill every last fucking one of them."

And they have been well behaved ever since.

by Anonymousreply 12September 23, 2020 11:51 PM

Don't knock constitutional monarchies. We haven't had such a great track record with our system of government this century.

by Anonymousreply 13September 24, 2020 12:06 AM

I always find Masako to be a rather sad situation.

Smart, Harvard educated (graduated magna cum laude), speaks English and French. She had a promising career, but was pressured into marrying.

The worst part is that Empress Michiko was merciless AFTER having been tortured by her former MIL, the then empress, for being a commoner (the first to marry into the royal family) and catholic. The stories suggest Michiko was even more brutal than her own MIL ever was - which is saying a LOT - that bitch was Hirohito's wife.

by Anonymousreply 14September 24, 2020 12:23 AM

The only Imperial House that any true DLer cares about is on East 69th Street.

by Anonymousreply 15September 24, 2020 12:25 AM

You should have nuked the shit out of that entire despicable country when you had the chance.

by Anonymousreply 16September 24, 2020 12:29 AM

[quote]You should have nuked the shit out of that entire despicable country when you had the chance.

Yes, but what would your fellow neckbeards do all day without the Playstation consoles?

by Anonymousreply 17September 24, 2020 12:32 AM

The imperial family has limited power due to the 1947 Constitution (authored by Americans). The Imperial Household Agency is very powerful and controls the family's public image. I imagine that the bureaucrats who work in it come from a small number of families are are groomed by one or two university departments. The press in Japan defers to the government and especially the Imperial Household Agency. It is kept in check by the alliance between ultranationalists and the yakuza. The ultranationalists are actually very closely tied to the ruling party and probably also the CIA going back several decades. They were seen as important partners in the fight against communism in East Asia. Since they all revered the imperial family, they were able to keep a lid on gossip. The Japanese royals are kept far out of public view. No one really cares about them and any attempt to bring them forward is thwarted either by the forces above or people on the left who oppose the royal family for its role in WWII. So the left and the right prefer to keep the imperial family hidden but for different reasons.

Honestly not even that much gossip gets out about Japanese celebrities because of the alliance between the entertainment industry and yakuza and deference of the press to both. Organized crime in Japan wields huge power and makes it hard to get to the bottom of a lot of things. No one thinks of the mafia because everyone assumes Japan and so safe and the Japanese are so docile. But it's the key to understanding Japan. I think that guy Jake Edelstein's writings about contemporary Japan are very good. I think he writes for the Daily Beast.

by Anonymousreply 18September 24, 2020 12:41 AM

Do they have tiaras? Asking for a friend.

by Anonymousreply 19September 24, 2020 1:27 AM

R13, name one constitutional monarchy besides Japan that isn't a total fucking joke as a country.

by Anonymousreply 20September 24, 2020 1:30 AM

Like what’s their deal?

by Anonymousreply 21September 24, 2020 1:30 AM

R20 Well...

by Anonymousreply 22September 24, 2020 1:38 AM

[quote] You should have nuked the shit out of that entire despicable country when you had the chance.

As a victim of Unit 731 you will be pleased to know that the US exonerated the doctors in charge of Unit 731 in exchange for the medical research they obtained from their experiments on you and the other victims. So maybe the US should also nuke itself for benefiting from the torture and gruesome deaths of US prisoners of war.

by Anonymousreply 23September 24, 2020 2:28 AM

R19, I'm not the Tiara Troll, but yes, the royal ladies of Japan wear tiaras, and a few have been featured on DL from time to time. They're always very tasteful concoctions of white diamonds and pearls.

by Anonymousreply 24September 24, 2020 3:04 AM

There's a very specific reason why archeological tombs from the Kofun period have been sealed-- studying them would probably totally annihilate the national myth that the dynasty has an order of succession that has been unbroken since 600 BC, whereas in reality there were probably a rise and falls of various kingdoms until one solidified into the Yamato dynasty.

by Anonymousreply 25September 24, 2020 7:28 AM

IHA seem terrible, especially for women

by Anonymousreply 26September 24, 2020 7:46 AM

Do...not...underestimate the power of the emperor.

by Anonymousreply 27September 24, 2020 8:03 AM

R19, YAAAS, Queen!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 24, 2020 8:17 AM

The Chrysanthemum is my personal favorite:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 24, 2020 8:18 AM

R20 - DENMARK

by Anonymousreply 30September 24, 2020 4:25 PM

[Quote]The press in Japan defers to the government and especially the Imperial Household Agency.

👆The reason why we don't hear much about then. I wonder if the Imperial family has corrupt, degenerate or dissolute members like the BRF or if they're truly circumspect and go about living quietly.

by Anonymousreply 31September 24, 2020 5:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!