Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Proposing to Your Man

If you're gay and proposing to your boyfriend, do you need an engagement ring like women expect in hetero proposals or can you just present a wedding ring?

by Anonymousreply 21September 19, 2020 1:46 AM

You present bleached and waxed hole.

by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2020 3:24 AM

That's a damn good question OP.

Also - what do gay engagement rings look like?

R1 has offered one type of ring but I'd like to hear about other suggestions which could be more... widely shown off.

by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2020 3:29 AM

Ew no - why? Can’t gay marriage be a teensy bit more intelligent based on an outside perspective? Are you gonna take his name too while you’re at it? And get a joint savings account? Come on now.

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2020 3:35 AM

I know there are married gay DL'ers on here so hopefully they can tell their story R2.

by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2020 3:36 AM

R3, right, I've never seen gay men wear rings with giant diamonds on them along with a wedding ring the way some women like to show off the giant "rock" their man gave them.

But just wondering.

by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2020 3:40 AM

No, you don't need, not should you do anything the straights do. Period.

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2020 3:48 AM

Be sure to make the proposal the most over-the-top and indulgent production ever, and whatever you do OP, make sure to have it all captured on video so you can post it on Youtube, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Upstaging a public event to ensure a live audience is paramount, so be sure to interrupt your partner's entire exercise class, or some other crowded affair to ensure that you will receive a round of applause and hugs for the camera to capture, otherwise there is just no point in getting married at all. And for the love of God OP, make sure you snivel and weep and be choking with overwrought emotions to demonstrate to the on-lookers that you simply cannot take another breath in this life until you secure his commitment to marry you, The foregoing is of vital importance to grow your 'likes' and the vastly exaggeratedly encouraging replies on social media. The sincerity and depth of your impending marriage will hinge on all of the foregoing; its simply how its done now, and you will be cheating your partner and more importantly yourself if you do not comply with the norms of our current times.

by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2020 6:56 AM

R7=sour grapes

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2020 7:52 AM

My bf would ditch me in a heartbeat if I tried the kneeling with a ring proposal bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2020 8:21 AM

OP, here’s my advice:

Marriage is a merging of assets. So the decision to marry should be as dry eyed as possible. Not pumped up with romanticism. There should be a good reason to marry - are you buying a property together? Have you been living together and merging assets for a while? Marriage is a civil act to protect the interests of both parties. It needn’t be confused with love or a declaration of love. There should be several mutual conversations that precede this decision. It should never be a surprise.

That said, once the decision has been made and you’ve decided to continue to build a life together, the whole world opens up for all sorts of romantic and loving expression. But signing contracts? No. Just no. Always go into a marriage with your eyes wide open because that is most certainly how you will leave one.

by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2020 8:58 AM

If my partner ever did that after 24 years, I would be pissed. Agree with R10. Marriage is a legal contract - not a fairy tale. So many peoples loves would be improved if they understood that - especially 20-somethings who believe that marrying and having kids is the purpose of life.

by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2020 3:07 PM

R11 exactly, it should have a function more tangible than “we love each other and want to have a party”. I am married (to a romantic partner) prompted by an impending visa situation that would have otherwise separated us. Straight people occasionally make very innuendoed comments about it not being “real married” which is so dumb (also who asked?). As if it’s less valid or honest. I like to think that such a major legal contract involved some actual functionality for me rather than just having a party.

I’ve wryly noticed that all three straight weddings I had been invited to have all been postponed because of Covid even thought you can still actually get married, these people want a wedding party, not a marriage.

by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2020 3:55 PM

The narcissism of weddings is nauseating.

by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2020 7:06 PM

Gold-plated, fake-diamond encrusted cock ring, of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2020 7:39 PM

I know a gay couple in which the proposer gave the other one a ring along these lines (more like an eternity ring than a traditional engagement one):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 17, 2020 7:52 PM

In Paris near the Eiffel Tower, Gio got down on one knee with a ring for Tommy.

by Anonymousreply 16September 17, 2020 8:56 PM

I’m a total bottom so I will never need to do this.

by Anonymousreply 17September 17, 2020 9:07 PM

I strongly recommend against hiding a ring in a baked potato.

by Anonymousreply 18September 17, 2020 9:37 PM

I'm a romantic. I think I would like wedding bands presented, with the explanation that we could pick out a different set if we wanted to. Maybe he could put on his, and the proposal is that he wants to know if I want to put on mine.

The ritual of having an object that represents the plan would be neat. It's not binding, and it's just a personal touch not everyone cares about, but for me it would make it more special (and fun) than just, "Remember what we talked about last Tuesday?"

by Anonymousreply 19September 17, 2020 9:46 PM

Although I understand the pragmatism others have mentioned, I like yours the best so far R19! 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

by Anonymousreply 20September 17, 2020 10:36 PM

[quote]In Paris near the Eiffel Tower, Gio got down on one knee with a ring for Tommy.

Gawd. then he had to post pictures of the grisly event every six months, or more describing his overwhelmed fourteen year-old girl's feelings about it in his puerile "writing" style!

Gag.

by Anonymousreply 21September 19, 2020 1:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!