Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Charlotte Rampling - So Lovely and So Repellant

Did she deliberately choose these weird roles or did she make them darker with her presence?

Georgy Girl The Damned The Night Porter The Swimming Pool 45 Years

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149September 28, 2020 10:56 PM

Well the roles were quite dark to begin with. So I suppose they had to cast an actress with a bit of an edge. I mean, they couldn't exactly cast Goldie Hawn in The Night Porter.

by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2020 3:22 AM

Most actors radiate one specific persona. Hers just happens to be a cold decadence.

Whether that’s anything like her true personality is a different story... but apparently producers got something from her vibe that they sensed would serve certain roles. So that’s what she was hired for.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2020 3:33 AM

I love her. She's done some cool movies.

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2020 3:48 AM

I can see The Swimming Pool being a much warmer and humorous film without her creepy, crepy and cold presence. In 45 Years she was so stringy and pathetic it unbalanced the film, the point of which was that Tom Courtney had used her all those years.

by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2020 3:50 AM

Getting a whiff of Lauren Bacall in R2's photo, although I can't see Miss Bacall ever appearing in so revealing an outfit.

by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2020 4:23 AM

R5, now that you mention it I can see Bacall bringing warmth to every one of Rampling's roles.

But in 45 Years, Julie Christie would have been great and the viewer would have wanted to strangle Tom Courtney's character, stringing her along all those years.

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2020 5:08 AM

Mr. Interlocutor: "Do you like Charlotte Rampling?"

Mr. Bones: "I don't know, I've never seen her rample."

by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2020 5:12 AM

[quote]r5 Getting a whiff of Lauren Bacall in [R2]'s photo, although I can't see Miss Bacall ever appearing in so revealing an outfit.

"Farewell, My Lovely" (1975)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 18, 2020 3:03 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 18, 2020 3:05 AM

I love the fact that she takes risks. She does a lot of dark movies. And she's not super famous. So she can walk down the street and have a normal life. She's an actor not a celebrity. I just think she's brilliant. And she is strikingly beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 10September 18, 2020 3:49 AM

OP thinks Meryl and Tom hanks are interesting actors.

by Anonymousreply 11September 18, 2020 4:39 AM

R11, where are you getting that? I just don't think Charlotte Rampling is very watchable. You do, that's cool.

by Anonymousreply 12September 18, 2020 4:57 AM

At the [bold]32:00 mark[/bold] here, she talks about having no interest in plastic surgery. She wants to watch her own aging process, and stay authentic.

I imagine she'll have to have her upper lids reduced at some point, so she can still see...but if for nothing else, I love her for that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 18, 2020 5:18 AM

The themes of The Night Porter repel me, so I won't watch that, but otherwise I'll watch anything she's in. When she was young, she had an otherwordly beauty, and she's allowed that magnificent face to age gracefully. My favorite actress.

by Anonymousreply 14September 18, 2020 5:23 AM

"The Night Porter" really isn't a very good movie, so you're not missing much.

It's amazing they could take such a salacious subject and render it quite dull.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 18, 2020 5:38 AM

I loved The Night Porter. Truly an excellent albeit misunderstood masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 16September 18, 2020 6:10 AM

These sisters have had the same heavy upper eyelid all along—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 18, 2020 7:10 AM

Angel Heart, Swimming Pool, and Orca!

All pretty much dark roles, but it works for her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 18, 2020 8:08 AM

She had an affair with an ape in one of her films.

by Anonymousreply 19September 18, 2020 8:50 AM

She also said that maybe those black actors didn't deserve a nomination or weren't good enough to be nominated when 'Oscars So White' first came up. I lover her!

by Anonymousreply 20September 18, 2020 9:04 AM

Don't mention Spike Lee to her.

by Anonymousreply 21September 18, 2020 9:08 AM

^ why? What happened between them?

by Anonymousreply 22September 18, 2020 9:10 AM

Rampling was the least interesting element in a VERY sexy Italian movie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 18, 2020 9:25 AM

Rampling is a lot more watchable than Lois Chiles.

by Anonymousreply 24September 18, 2020 11:18 AM

She's a goddess. I won't permit nasty snark about her!!!

Seriously, she's divine. Even in a dumb movie like SPY GAME she brings such sophistication and slyness to her 5 minutes on screen.

by Anonymousreply 25September 18, 2020 11:27 AM

I love those crazy pics Juergen Teller took of her. Here she is playing the piano, with a man presenting his hole on top of it...That must have been a fun photoshoot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 18, 2020 11:35 AM

And even when she's made up to look like an aging whore waiting for her next customer, there's something classy and aristocratic about her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 18, 2020 11:37 AM

I'm watching The Night Porter today and so excited about it- at the very least, it will challenge me and get me out of my self involved funk. I love datalounge. You always introduce something interesting into my world.

And I do find Rampling aristocratic, haunting and lovely. Cheekbones.

by Anonymousreply 28September 18, 2020 12:18 PM

[quote]Seriously, she's divine. Even in a dumb movie like SPY GAME she brings such sophistication and slyness to her 5 minutes on screen.

Funnily enough I was looking at her list of credits and saw Spy Game and even though her part was small I remembered her role.

But as others have said, she isn't the warmest of actors. Haughty to be polite, cunty to be less polite.

by Anonymousreply 29September 18, 2020 12:25 PM

Don't neglect "Max, Mon Amour" (1986). She fucks a chimpanzee in that one.

by Anonymousreply 30September 18, 2020 12:39 PM

I love her in LONDON SPY. (I get the sense that the role was not exactly a stretch for her. She's like that character in real life).

by Anonymousreply 31September 18, 2020 12:43 PM

I saw her enter a Parisian boutique, 15+ years ago. She is beautiful (radiant, even!) in real life. More beautiful than on film or photograph, and actually warmer. Very beautiful woman. Not very tall.

by Anonymousreply 32September 18, 2020 12:51 PM

R26 That's probably Juergen Teller himself presenting hole...

by Anonymousreply 33September 18, 2020 12:52 PM

The first movie I saw her in was "The Verdict," with Paul Newman. She was mesmerizing in it, and I've been a big fan of hers ever since.

by Anonymousreply 34September 18, 2020 1:01 PM

R34. One of my all-time favorite scenes. Paul Newman finds out how she has betrayed him. He walks into a bar and decks her. She got exactly what she deserved. BTW I am a frau.

by Anonymousreply 35September 18, 2020 1:21 PM

R35, I, too, really like that scene. I love the way she waves off a guy who is going to help her because she knows she deserved what she just got. I also love the scene where she's receiving her bribe from James Mason's attorney. You can tell that she just hates herself for what she's doing.

by Anonymousreply 36September 18, 2020 1:27 PM

I love her in the "Dune" trailer. Cold. Aristocratic. Frightening.

by Anonymousreply 37September 18, 2020 1:35 PM

Rampling has complete mastery of her voice in that Dune trailer. Timothee - well, it's pretty bad vocal affectation.

by Anonymousreply 38September 18, 2020 1:43 PM

[quote]And she's not super famous. So she can walk down the street and have a normal life. She's an actor not a celebrity

She's a huge star in her adopted homeland, France. Has modelled for big labels and been on countless magazine covers for decades.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 18, 2020 2:29 PM

That was a good movie. My favourite scene is still the nurse's deposition.

Are we going to mention Bruce Willis as an extra in one of the court scenes?

by Anonymousreply 40September 18, 2020 3:30 PM

R40, "Who were these people?! I wanted to be a nurse!"

Wow, I've seen the movie a couple times and didn't know that Willis was an extra!

by Anonymousreply 41September 18, 2020 4:13 PM

Her face is now repugnant A little cosmetic surgery would be appreciated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42September 18, 2020 5:15 PM

Your BUTT is repugnant!

by Anonymousreply 43September 18, 2020 5:16 PM

Okay, good comments. I actually liked her in The Night Porter and loved The Verdict.

But she's a cold piece of goods and if she's a racist besides, I'm not surprised. She has the face for it and could easily star in films made from Flannery O'Conner's stories about southern racist dames.

by Anonymousreply 44September 18, 2020 5:24 PM

I think she’s tremendous

by Anonymousreply 45September 18, 2020 7:58 PM

She was perfectly cast in RED SPARROW as the hardened head of the facility, teaching the Sparrows on how to use their sexuality on targets. I half expected her to get down to her knickers still at her age.

by Anonymousreply 46September 18, 2020 8:03 PM

Ravishing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 18, 2020 8:08 PM

I adore these European actresses who have no fucks to give. They've made lots of movies--good , bad, and indifferent--so just SHUT UP. She's busy working on her next film, which may be with Adam Sandler or with Jean-Luc Godard.

by Anonymousreply 48September 18, 2020 8:29 PM

R48 I agree. Who else do you love? There are a lot of actresses, who are distinctly European and whose aura is not emulated by most Hollywood actresses.

by Anonymousreply 49September 18, 2020 8:38 PM

R49: Isabella Adjani, Sophie Marceau, Maruschka Detmers, the late Sylvia Kristel, Liv Ullmann, Fanny Ardant... the list goes on.

by Anonymousreply 50September 18, 2020 8:42 PM

Julie Christie has literally devoted her life to causes: animals, politics, international justice orgs, and lives in a little cottage in England somewhere. She was smoking hot, a good actress (one Oscar and several nominations), knew enough to kick Beaty to the curb, and still looks pretty good. Never said a bad word about her co-stars and ran from Hollywood like it was Hades. She is someone I admire.

Rampling seems to be a self-absorbed, self-satisfied pain in the ass; watch the documentary about her and see if after two painful hours you don't agree.

by Anonymousreply 51September 18, 2020 8:47 PM

Love her

by Anonymousreply 52September 18, 2020 9:10 PM

"Her face is now repugnant A little cosmetic surgery would be appreciated. "

Your face is repellent, Rampling's is interesting! She's still photogenic, still elegant and charismatic, still awesome.d

She's been a sterling character actress for the last few decades, it'd be nice if someone gave her a goo leading role, but well. They don't make whole films about chilly elegant bitches do they. One of her better supporting roles was in "Wings of the Dove", as the heroine's aunt and guardian who tells the heroine she has no options but to marry for money. as Auntie can't afford to support her forever. You can tell she's wishing she could just sell the girl to the highest bidder.

by Anonymousreply 53September 18, 2020 9:10 PM

[quote]r44 she's a cold piece of goods

She is good in roles like that. She has a few scenes in my favorite movie, "The Wings of the Dove", as Helena Bonham Carter's rigid aunt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 18, 2020 9:13 PM

That house in the English countryside her "London Spy" character lived in! What a find. And her scenes with Ben Whishaw, who played her vanished son's lover, were fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 55September 18, 2020 9:13 PM

R41 Ah I wanted to write those lines and that harrowing moment but then felt I might be thrown out of this forum! But, yes! I was about 16 when I saw this, and it dawned on me that there were people who could ruin other people's lives, just to cover up for themselves. I was terrified there and then and decided work life was not for me.

by Anonymousreply 56September 18, 2020 9:21 PM

R51 agree with your post on most counts - probably all, even, except I don't know Christie's career that well. What a face!

by Anonymousreply 57September 18, 2020 9:24 PM

There's also a youtube of it - Bruce W is sitting on the right of the picture, second row facing the camera (pretty close to the background, you can't see him all that well).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58September 18, 2020 9:28 PM

Emergency plastic surgery!

by Anonymousreply 59September 18, 2020 9:35 PM

[quote]r56 I was terrified there and then and decided work life was not for me.

So, did you marry someone rich ... or move under a bridge?

by Anonymousreply 60September 18, 2020 9:38 PM

I lived under a bridge for about 10 years, then married someone rich. Thank you for asking.

by Anonymousreply 61September 18, 2020 9:44 PM

She did nudies.

Nudies!

by Anonymousreply 62September 18, 2020 9:48 PM

Well I watched it.

Wow. Who wants to talk about The Night Porter? Think that being raised a millennial with modern third wave feminism, the relationship is more palatable out of the ... concentration camp context. So it's not as jarring as it would have been in 74/75. But I guess my takeaway (and I'm always wrong) is that he's insane and drove her insane and they just belong together; and somehow it's oddly ... sweet? But again, only in the "whack job - no rules- tradition is dead" milieu of modern sexual relationships.

by Anonymousreply 63September 18, 2020 10:09 PM

Charlotte & Helen Mirren were very receptive to nude scenes on stage & in films, so they got a lot of work in the 60s & early 70s, before it was very common.

by Anonymousreply 64September 18, 2020 10:19 PM

R63, your interpretation seems as good as any. He was evil but had a passion for her, she was traumatized and trauma-bonded to him? The scene where he gave her the head of the guy she hated made my skin crawl--I have to admit her expression was perfect.

It's a horror film, but no worse than Son of Saul or even Sophie's Choice. Some people thought it should never have been made.

by Anonymousreply 65September 18, 2020 10:32 PM

retroactive spoiler alert / /

by Anonymousreply 66September 18, 2020 10:33 PM

Helen Mirren is a Goddess and a bright and lovely individual unlike ...you know...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67September 18, 2020 10:38 PM

Imagine a time when Charlotte Rampling would appear on the cover of Vanity Fair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68September 18, 2020 10:43 PM

"But I guess my takeaway (and I'm always wrong) is that he's insane and drove her insane and they just belong together"

R63, I saw the film many years ago, and wouldn't watch it again. Real life is bad enough, why would I watch more awfulness as entertainment now?

Anyway, my takeaway from the film was... the effects of long-term traumatic abuse. Like a person being raised by a parent who is physically, mentally, and sexually abusive, and who tries to get away and make a life for themselves… and who ends up being dragged back to the abusive home and completely broken. There's no love there, just abuse and insanity, and the abuser breaking the abused the point where they accept the abusers belief that surrendering to abuse means love.

I think you're very naïve, R63. Expressions of love doesn't mean that the relationship is monstrously abusive, in fact, many abusive relationships include expressions of love or actual feelings of love. That doesn't make them okay in any respect.

by Anonymousreply 69September 18, 2020 11:41 PM

I wonder if she and that other Parisian ex-pat, Jane Birkin, get together and compare notes as well as their public reputation and Marianne Faithfull.

by Anonymousreply 70September 19, 2020 3:27 AM

Let's be frank.

She's OK at the centre of attention looking like a Sphinx in artfully-posed model shots.

But her sad anemic face and anorexic body compares poorly when seen in a ensemble cast. We first saw her in 'Georgy Girl' with three likeable well-rounded characters and there she was, a foul-mouthed sliver of angry camel spit walking away off at the side.

by Anonymousreply 71September 19, 2020 3:52 AM

Another good film of hers was Heading South, about female sex tourists in Haiti.

And she was heartbreaking in The Damned.

by Anonymousreply 72September 19, 2020 5:43 AM

There are some tremendous anglo ones too r49 r50 like Rampling, Glenda Jackson. Vanessa Redgrave, Judy Davis, Julie Christie,

by Anonymousreply 73September 19, 2020 1:12 PM

R73, love all those, too.

What's your favorite Vanessa film? I read her "memoir" and it was hardly about HER, it was about all her causes. Not a bad word about anyone she worked with. Not one.

by Anonymousreply 74September 19, 2020 11:42 PM

Dear R74, we are answering your question in the correct place—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 20, 2020 12:24 AM

"One of her better supporting roles was in 'Wings of the Dove'"

Just watched it last night, and I'd forgotten what an absolute FEAST for the eyes it is (Mary!). Maybe more so than any other other film I've ever seen (with the possible exception of The Age of Innocence).

by Anonymousreply 76September 20, 2020 12:33 AM

Thank you R75, I'm there now.

by Anonymousreply 77September 20, 2020 12:41 AM

[quote]r58 One of her better supporting roles was in 'Wings of the Dove'"

[quote]r76 Just watched it last night, and I'd forgotten what an absolute FEAST for the eyes it is (Mary!). Maybe more so than any other film I've ever seen (with the possible exception of The Age of Innocence).

An amazing thing about that film is I started our really liking Helena Bonham Carter's character, and felt bad about her thwarted romance, her impending poverty, etc. But then about a third of the way through, as the machinations go into motion, I was like, "Um, I don't think I really like this person very much!"

When we watch movies, we're always so primed to like the hero/heroine, and it was quite a brilliant move for the story to subvert that. How well do we really know people? And aren't we all a complex mixture of things?

I should read the book - but to tell the truth I've never enjoyed Henry James' prose. I barely made it through "The Bostonians". He's just a tad too pleased with himself, assuming the reader is hanging on his every word... even if it means going on for page after page to make one point. The way he wrote was to lie on a couch and rattle off the words to his secretary/scribe (called an "amanuensis"). Well, that's what the words sound like - rambling.

Religious fantaticism ran in his family, so I guess he thought being lectured/sermonized for hours was fine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78September 20, 2020 2:58 AM

Now that I think about it... her chilly, decadent, twisted persona rather reminds me of... Patsy Stone!

Only that sort of person done very seriously, not for laughs.

by Anonymousreply 79September 20, 2020 3:42 AM

CR is a captivating, incandescent, intelligent, rebellious goddess. She has an absolutely hypnotic presence in every film. That voice, that accent. Exquisite. What she has, all the others couldn't spell.

by Anonymousreply 80September 20, 2020 4:32 AM

When I first saw her years ago in The Verdict and other films, I found her to be so striking. Absolutely riveting in looks. Didn't see her for years and then I saw her in the Spy Game and didn't recognize her at first with her wrinkly face and crepey skin.

I almost never think women look better with facial treatment either fillers or surgery, but her smoking has turned her eyes into slits. She really needs to get rid of some excess skin there or something. She's kept her shape and doesn't have fish lips or any of that nonsense. So a very judicial amount of something and maybe a peel and moisturizing could make a difference. If Sharon Stone really has had some facial work, Rampling could certainly benefit from a consultation with her dermatologist.

by Anonymousreply 81September 20, 2020 5:21 AM

Sharon Stone has definitely had some work done. Her jawline is too tight and her forehead too smooth for a normal woman of sixty-two, not to mention the unnatural lack of eye bags and sags. However, what work she's had is subtle and natural-looking, and she's allowed a reasonable number of wrinkles to come in and the figure to soften a little, and she looks like a beautiful and glamorous mature woman. She's done it right, aged rather better than nature intended, one who takes good care of herself rather than making the mistake of clinging to her youth.

Charlotte Rampling looks like a woman in her mid-seventies who's lived a very interesting life, and who doesn't give a rat's ass what anyone thinks. It works for her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82September 20, 2020 6:00 AM

I'm glad I didn't see Robert Mitchum and Charlotte Rampling in 'Farewell, My Lovely'.

They both look like they're suffering with Narcolepsy and I would have fallen asleep before the 95 minute movie was over.

by Anonymousreply 83September 20, 2020 6:08 AM

Charlotte Rampling has appeared in movies but she's not a real actress.

Her only visible emotion is narcolepsy. And she can't do theatre; she attempted it once at a small theatre in Paris and half the audience complained they couldn't hear a word.

by Anonymousreply 84September 20, 2020 7:44 AM

"I'm glad I didn't see Robert Mitchum and Charlotte Rampling in 'Farewell, My Lovely'."

Then you missed the butch lesbian beating the crap out of Mitchum. OK, I may be remembering that wrong, it's been 45 years, but I'm pretty sure that happened.

Unfortunately, like all other evil homos in 70s movies, she is violently killed.

But I was on Team Butch.

Oh, Charlotte Rampling. You disappoint me. I don't why I still get disappointed to find out some old white actor is racist. But I do.

She was on an episode of The Avengers (60s UK show).

Completely baby faced. Such a surprise to see her so young.

by Anonymousreply 85September 20, 2020 8:08 AM

Charlotte Rampling on the proposed boycott for the 2016 Academy Awards—

"It is racist to whites," she said. "One can never really know, but perhaps the black actors did not deserve to make the final list," she added.

The interviewer then asked if the Academy should introduce quotas, to which she responded: "Why classify people?

These days everyone is more or less accepted ... People will always say: 'Him, he's less handsome'; 'Him, he's too black'; 'He is too white' ... someone will always be saying 'You are too' (this or that) ... But do we have to take from this that there should be lots of minorities everywhere?"

by Anonymousreply 86September 20, 2020 8:55 AM

R86 What she says is not wrong though. I think it was also lost in translation. She did that interview in French after all. And newsflash for y'all Americans, most Europeans do not have an interest in American racial politics.

by Anonymousreply 87September 20, 2020 9:24 AM

I agree wth you, GGG.

by Anonymousreply 88September 20, 2020 9:56 AM

R22 Refer to R86 - This did not go do with Spike as you can imagine. I remember in the press at one point Charlotte Rampling responded to Spike Lee's outrage with something like 'bloody Spike Lee'.

by Anonymousreply 89September 20, 2020 10:03 AM

She's especially cuntalicious in THE SENSE OF AN ENDING (2017).

I love her.

by Anonymousreply 90September 20, 2020 1:02 PM

She was very Maggie Thatcher in Paris By Night (1989). Well worth tracking down. She didn't play Thatcher was a character no doubt inspired by her.

by Anonymousreply 91September 20, 2020 1:10 PM

I met her son at a dinner party in the Hollywood Hills many years ago. He was55555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555ffffffffffffff44444who shared my interest the in the poet Arthur Rimbaud

by Anonymousreply 92September 20, 2020 5:04 PM

Sorry, but you don't get THAT FACE from being a nice person for 60 years. Audrey Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Gregory Peck aged but he didn't have that kind of mug. If I met her I'd be a bit scared and very certain she was thinking crap about me no matter how "gracious" she pretended to be.

What she said showed that she is angered by blacks finally getting some attention and respect. Why not show a little "class" and just say nothing about it?

by Anonymousreply 93September 20, 2020 5:06 PM

R92, are you having a stroke?

by Anonymousreply 94September 20, 2020 5:14 PM

Is there any question that all the awards are under pressure to nominate and choose minorities overriding questions of quality? For the record, I don't disagree because "quality" is a very subjective concept anyway, but I'm just sayin'.

by Anonymousreply 95September 20, 2020 6:46 PM

Exactly R95, quality is objective and for millenia the white and the (straight, btw) patriarchy have decided that anything that's not about them is just not quality. Anything that pushes back against that is good, I think. Ms. Rampling disagrees and that's her prerogative.

by Anonymousreply 96September 20, 2020 7:06 PM

[quote]R93 Sorry, but you don't get THAT FACE from being a nice person for 60 years.

It’s interesting you think someone’s physical appearance is who they are.

by Anonymousreply 97September 20, 2020 7:07 PM

Sorry, R97, that may have sounded like trolling.

No, I know people age differently. I have resting-bitch face myself lately and it may get worse due to hatred of those running the country. Please watch the documentary Rampling cooperated with--that's what made me feel my admiration of her might be misplaced.

I judge people by how they treat me and others, I hope. I am a bit obsessed with beauty, but this is DL, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 98September 20, 2020 8:07 PM

Come on, it's never been like she pretended to be a socialist or an advocate for civil rights. She's always shown exactly who she was - that people choose to see that as "edgy", that's their problem. And then they'll complain about Tilda Swinton.

by Anonymousreply 99September 20, 2020 8:58 PM

Anybody that complains that any system here on Earth is "racist against whites" is quite plainly showing their true colours. Come on. Show me any social system that is "racist toward whites". I'd love to see it.

by Anonymousreply 100September 20, 2020 9:00 PM

Actors should act and nothing more. I am so annoyed by actors who see themselves as activists such as Patricia Arquette. She is a good actress, but having causes does not make a compelling actor. Just shut up and act, nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 101September 20, 2020 9:01 PM

[quote]Actors should act and nothing more. I am so annoyed by actors who see themselves as activists such as Patricia Arquette. She is a good actress, but having causes does not make a compelling actor. Just shut up and act, nothing more.

But they are people who live in this world and as such, have opinions and their own worldview and are free to voice their views. You are free to ignore them.

by Anonymousreply 102September 20, 2020 9:03 PM

R102 That is absolutely alright, but a glaring example are acceptance speeches. To me it feels they just broadcast popular beliefs anyway, so it some nice blabbering about 'equality' and 'justice', but nothing gets done about it anyway. It's virtue signalling.

Joaquin Phoenix' speech was very out of place in that regard. What does veganism have to do with his role as the Joker??

by Anonymousreply 103September 20, 2020 9:05 PM

Actors are desperate for intellectual respect.

by Anonymousreply 104September 20, 2020 9:47 PM

Being smart isn't a requisite for an actor.

by Anonymousreply 105September 20, 2020 9:57 PM

R105 Rampling isn't an actor. She is a photographic model.

by Anonymousreply 106September 20, 2020 10:04 PM

R13’s photo makes her look like Golda Meir.

by Anonymousreply 107September 20, 2020 10:24 PM

"She [who cares] is a good actress, but having causes does not make a compelling actor. Just shut up and act, nothing more. "

Worse, actors don't make compelling spokespeople for causes or candidate. What the fucking fuck kind of idiot votes for somebody or supports some cause because of a fucking actor? They're all self-absorbed idiots or monsters who are desperate for publicity and the chance to be taken seriously for once!

Of course they're citizens and free to support whatever causes they like and say whatever they want to the public... but it doesn't help them vanish into a character, I don't think it does the causes a lot of good, and it sure as hell doesn't get sensible people to take them seriously.

by Anonymousreply 108September 21, 2020 4:11 AM

Capote said intelligent people make bad actors.

by Anonymousreply 109September 21, 2020 4:24 AM

That’s just because he himself was awful in MURDER BY DEATH

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110September 21, 2020 5:50 AM

R109 We need to know if Capote meant real actors with real skills who appear in stage. Or whether he meant models like Rampling or Monroe who merely stand in front of a camera lens.

by Anonymousreply 111September 21, 2020 6:13 AM

She supported Nicolas Sarkozy, so is quite right wing by French standards.

Who are the people who keep referring to her, even after a 50-year career in cinema, as a 'model'?

Rampling has worked with great European directors from Luchino Visconti, Liliana Cavani and Patrice Chéreau to François Ozon, Laurent Cantet, Claude Lelouch, Gianni Amelio, Bille August and Lars von Trier and American directors from Sidney Lumet to Woody Allen to Todd Solondz.

[quote]She was awarded the O.B.E. (Officer of the Order of the British Empire) in the 2000 Queen's Millennium Honours List for her services to acting and United Kingdom-French cultural relations.

[quote]Winner of a Honorary Cesar from the French Academy of Cinema in recognition of her work (2001).

[quote]Member of 'Official Competition' jury at the 29th Cannes International Film Festival in 1976.

[quote]President of the 'Official Competition' jury at the 56th Berlin International Film Festival in 2006.

[quote]Invited to join AMPAS in 2005.

She gave one of the best performances of that year in '45 Years.'

by Anonymousreply 112September 21, 2020 6:31 AM

I was like 12 when I saw The Damned on cable - my first exposure to weird foreign films. Weirdest fucking movie I've ever seen. Been obsessed with Helmut Berger ever since

by Anonymousreply 113September 21, 2020 6:50 AM

"Who are the people who keep referring to her, even after a 50-year career in cinema, as a 'model'? "

I think you meant "person", because there's always some jealous bitch who can't stand to see anyone else praised.

by Anonymousreply 114September 21, 2020 7:27 AM

The trouble with actors, is that if they team up with good enough writers and directors, they become the face for ideas that they never came up with, and it's the actors that are interviewed, etc, spewing their own thoughts - which aren't always brilliant.

As someone else said, the piano didn't write the concerto.

There are exceptions, of course.

by Anonymousreply 115September 21, 2020 10:48 AM

R40 The Verdict is one of my favorite movies but we always laugh at that “I wanted to be a nurse” delivery; its so OTT and out of place in a movie that (thankfully, unlike most courtroom dramas) is so good precisely because it avoids those traps.

That was the first movie I ever saw her in and I think “attractive yet repellant” is actually the perfect description of her. And I’m not for slapping women but damn that bitch deserved it!

by Anonymousreply 116September 21, 2020 10:56 AM

Are all things/people unequivocally worthy of praise? Do I have to like C.R. because you do? That's a weird way to run the universe.

by Anonymousreply 117September 21, 2020 10:10 PM

This thread makes me want to watch her performance in Never Let Me Go.

The scene at the end with Carey Mulligan and Andrew Garfield is beautifully repellant.

by Anonymousreply 118September 22, 2020 8:23 PM

R118 The fact that she was perfectly cast as that soulless monster should tell you something.

by Anonymousreply 119September 22, 2020 8:31 PM

She was in Angel Heart with Mickey Rourke.

Fun to have been a fly on THAT wall.

by Anonymousreply 120September 22, 2020 9:53 PM

R118 Both you and the OP use the adjective 'repellant'.

I wonder if Rampling is especially tantalising to lesbians and heterosexual men who want an "easy lay". She does look passive to me.

by Anonymousreply 121September 22, 2020 9:57 PM

[quote]Both you and the OP use the adjective 'repellant'.

Why do they both misspell it?

by Anonymousreply 122September 23, 2020 7:11 AM

Lol. Trust DL to follow suit in *mispelling*. Illiterates.

by Anonymousreply 123September 23, 2020 10:28 AM

I disliked her immensely when she was on Dexter. Ruined the season.

by Anonymousreply 124September 23, 2020 10:41 AM

Never watched that show.

by Anonymousreply 125September 23, 2020 3:24 PM

Misspelling words is no sign of illiteracy. FYI, I'm an English professor. Minor technical errors never keep me from giving an essay with superior content an 'A.' But you're entitled to your opinion.

by Anonymousreply 126September 23, 2020 3:43 PM

R126 I love English professors!!

by Anonymousreply 127September 23, 2020 4:01 PM

Her brand is "decadent chic". Those types, although they may seem "progressive" to the untrained eye (because they're oh so shocking!) are usually deeply reactionary. She's never pretended to be anything else.

by Anonymousreply 128September 23, 2020 4:36 PM

What makes you say she's "deeply reactionary", R128?

Is it merely because she felt she was being nobbled in that Oscar race (mentioned by R20)?

by Anonymousreply 129September 23, 2020 9:45 PM

Watched "The Damned" on YouTube. She was just exquisitely thin and elegant. We don't have that anymore. Even a Goop is overly studied and worked on.

Also, I love Italian post war movies and they're making me realize how terrible our cinema is. America movies - even prestige pics- are offal.

by Anonymousreply 130September 24, 2020 12:10 PM

I agree with you R130. What American filmmakers have tried to deal with the current situation? Instead we get endless comic book remakes. Pathetic.

Maybe now that women and minorities are getting their chance, maybe SOMEONE will make a serious film.

by Anonymousreply 131September 24, 2020 5:00 PM

Even European brands like CR have their own PR shills.

by Anonymousreply 132September 24, 2020 5:05 PM

Interestingly, her father Godfrey Rampling was in the British relay team that took gold for the 4x400m at the 1936 Berlin Olympics.

by Anonymousreply 133September 27, 2020 5:17 PM

What I found most admirable about her is what great care she's taken of her health, so it's of no surprise that she should come from a family of athletes.

by Anonymousreply 134September 27, 2020 5:19 PM

Doesn't her decades-long smoking habit negate that, R134?

[quote]Rejecting the intimacy of a sofa-chat for an across-the-desk interrogation, she shakingly tears the filter from a Marlboro. As if all that remains of her once famous rebellious streak is cardiovascular irresponsibility, she says her dream is to open illicit smoking dens in the health fad capitals of the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135September 28, 2020 4:41 AM

R135 that is the craziest most obsessively hilarious site ever. Haven’t looked at it in a while.

by Anonymousreply 136September 28, 2020 4:55 AM

Yes. It's wrong (and outdated) to say this, but I do sense a touch of the Asp.

by Anonymousreply 137September 28, 2020 5:02 AM

I hadn't thought about the smoking, but that can account for the wrinkles, continued svelteness, and perhaps for the grumpy reactionary attitudes. Smoking affects the thought processes eventually by making it harder for oxygen to be processed.

by Anonymousreply 138September 28, 2020 5:08 AM

No mention of "Under the Sand"? One of her best lead roles.

by Anonymousreply 139September 28, 2020 5:14 AM

Not to be an argumentative cunt, but R139, what were some of the scenes in that film where she was so powerful? I just remember a lot of blank looks and scarves.

by Anonymousreply 140September 28, 2020 5:26 AM

Rampling is the epitome of 'blankness'. She is the most passive female in movies.

She doesn't 'perform', she doesn't 'act' or even 'emote' in any way. She was hopeless in that one inaudible fiasco on stage in Paris without a microphone.

She 'acts' as much as Enrique Iglesias 'sings'.

by Anonymousreply 141September 28, 2020 5:31 AM

And yet she’s incredibly compelling.

I think Isabelle Huppert is a little like her but is obviously a more animated performer.

And why don’t I have Swimming Pool on blu ray yet? Thanks for the reminder OP.

by Anonymousreply 142September 28, 2020 5:37 AM

She owes us a facelift. We have to look at that mug which screams booze and cigs. !

by Anonymousreply 143September 28, 2020 6:33 AM

R142 You don't have Swimming Pool on Blu Ray because it hasn't been released on Blu Ray (yet). It is long overdue.

by Anonymousreply 144September 28, 2020 9:10 AM

I remember enjoying Swimming Pool a lot when it came out. Sadly, I tried to watch it again a few years ago and just couldn't. Not a big fan of Ozon's I guess.

by Anonymousreply 145September 28, 2020 8:58 PM

Charlotte Rampling having sex with a dwarf was not something I signed up for!

by Anonymousreply 146September 28, 2020 9:27 PM

She didn't have sex with a dwarf. A female dwarf shuts the door in her face. She has sex with the pool-ancient mariner-handyman.

Gross enough.

by Anonymousreply 147September 28, 2020 10:52 PM

I mean, as opposed to the pool BOY, like tasteful Madame Falwell.

by Anonymousreply 148September 28, 2020 10:52 PM

[quote] [R142] You don't have Swimming Pool on Blu Ray because it hasn't been released on Blu Ray (yet). It is long overdue.

There are two blu rays: one is a German release, which is no good for me because the subtitles are all in German, not English, and much of film includes French dialogue. There’s a Japanese blu ray that does include English subtitles, but it looks to be out of print and expensive now.

There is also an HD stream on Amazon that I can purchase for $15. I’m thinking I might just do that if I can’t find the Japanese release for a reasonable amount of money. You’re right, a US disc is long overdue. I wonder who the distributor is.

by Anonymousreply 149September 28, 2020 10:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!