Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jim Carrey will play Joe Biden on Season 46 of 'Saturday Night Live'

Looks like Jason Sudeikis has been voted out of Saturday Night Live’s Oval Office. SNL producers have announced that Jim Carrey will now be playing vice president-turned-presidential candidate, Joe Biden, when NBC’s late-night comedy institution returns for Season 46 on October 3.

The former In Living Color star has hosted SNL four times, most recently in 2014 — the year after Sudeikis departed the Not Ready for Primetime Players, although he reprised his Biden impression on multiple occasions, including back in February before the coronavirus pandemic forced the cast to finish the season remotely. Rest assured that the new season will be bringing it all back home to Studio 8H, albeit with new safety protocols in place.

SNL guru Lorne Michaels revealed the backstory behind the Sudeikis/Carrey switcheroo in a new interview with Vulture, suggesting it was, in part, the actor’s idea. Carrey certainly hasn’t been shy about expressing his political opinions — in fact, he’s turned them into literal art. “There was some interest on his part,” Michaels said. “And then we responded, obviously, positively. But it came down to discussions about what the take was. He and Colin Jost had a bunch of talks. He and I as well. He will give the part energy and strength, and … hopefully it’s funny.”

Twitter seems split on Biden’s makeover, with several Sudeikis stans sticking up for the former SNL mainstay, who is currently headlining the Apple TV+ series Ted Lasso.

While Sudeikis may be out, Maya Rudolph and Alec Baldwin are continuing their terms as Senator — and Biden’s running mate — Kamala Harris and President Donald Trump respectively. Michaels confirmed their returns to Vulture, ending speculation that Baldwin may have announced his retirement on the Season 45 finale. One of those pieces of news was received more positively than the other.

Michaels shared some other key details about the upcoming season in his Vulture interview, noting that the production was working closely with New York Governor Andrew Cuomo to determine the specific number of cast, crew and audience members that can be in Studio 8H during the live telecast. (That so-called “magic number” is something that all productions are trying to calculate as TV shows and movies return to work.) In order to be part of the election cycle, SNL will also produce five back-to-back shows for the first time in its history, with new episodes every week from October 3 to October 31. “There are four debates and then it’s Halloween, and that’s the weekend before the election,” Michaels said. “And sadly, if the election gets extended, then we’ll be doing six or seven shows in a row.”

Because of last year’s COVID-shortened season, SNL won’t be saying goodbye to any of the current cast. But a few new faces will be showing up in Studio 8H, including Punkie Johnson, Lauren Holt and Andrew Dismukes. And Michaels is doing his part to encourage the next generation of comedy stars with the launch of the SNL Scholarship Program, intended to help advance the career opportunities for comics of color. That move comes after a summer where protests over the death of George Floyd brought renewed attention to the lack of diversity on shows like Saturday Night Live. “From Minnesota on, watching that, living through that — the beginnings of the Black Lives Matter — all of it had always been under the surface, and there it sort of took center-stage, and obviously for all the best reasons,” Michaels told Vulture. “So it was officially understood as important, and time had run out on the various excuses.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 18, 2020 1:39 AM

I'm really excited about the show returning this season. We all need a good laugh during this tense run-up to the election.

by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2020 12:06 AM

Meh, not in the mood for their "both sides"ism.

by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2020 12:09 AM

Fuck this idiot pretending to be a genius

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2020 12:11 AM

Hope he drops dead from a stroke

by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2020 12:13 AM

Die you useless cunt

by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2020 12:14 AM

In other words, Carrey wants one of those Emmys which the Television Academy so freely hands out to SNL

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2020 12:16 AM

They're also adding 3 new cast members for a total of 20. And STILL outsourcing all the main roles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2020 12:37 AM

I liked Woody Harrelson as Biden best.

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2020 12:51 AM

^^^ Disagree. Sudeikis has Biden's speaking style and all of his mannerisms down cold.

And since Baldwin has whined and whined about how tired he is of playing Trump, bring back Daryl Hammond, who does an infinitely better Orange-utan, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2020 1:19 AM

I'm happy that Jim Carrey will be playing Biden.

He LOATHES Trump, so only Jim can eviscerate Trump, in a way that the real Biden could not.

by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2020 1:27 AM

[quote]Jim Carrey will play Joe Biden on Season 46 of 'Saturday Night Live'

I hope Biden become PRESIDENT 46 during Season 46.

by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2020 1:46 AM

Sudeikis has his own series, Ted Lasso, on Apple Tv. Jason is so handsome.

by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2020 3:26 AM

Why do they have such a huge cast? A huge unfunny cast. Saturday night live has not been funny for years. How in the hell did they keep getting all these awards?

by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2020 3:37 AM

This is all over the media.

Why does SNL consider Jim Carrey to be such a major "get?"

He hasn't really been working in the last 10 years, so he's kind of .... over.

by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2020 1:05 PM

I predict that SNL will get their best ratings in years this season.

by Anonymousreply 15September 17, 2020 4:35 PM

Will his anti-vaxxer girlfriend, Miss Jenny McCarthy, play Melania?

by Anonymousreply 16September 17, 2020 7:15 PM

IF Biden loses (he won't but still), they better not have Jim Carrey doing a sappy rendition of "Hallelujah". That was pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 17September 17, 2020 7:16 PM

I thought the same r14. Jim Carrey hasn't been relevant for YEARS. He's barely even been in the public eye.

by Anonymousreply 18September 17, 2020 7:51 PM

Waah Waah Waah SNL hasn't been funny in decades Waah Waah Waah - hoariest gripe in the book.

by Anonymousreply 19September 17, 2020 8:11 PM

R16 that couple broke up over a decade ago, gramps!

by Anonymousreply 20September 17, 2020 8:15 PM

[quote]Why does SNL consider Jim Carrey to be such a major "get?"

You answered your own question before you even asked it

[quote]This is all over the media.

by Anonymousreply 21September 17, 2020 8:20 PM

I'll be very surprised if Carrey isn't awful as Biden. His comedic, um, "acting" is always over the top, and his having a political motivation to play Biden adds to the likelihood that the performance will be excruciating.

by Anonymousreply 22September 17, 2020 8:43 PM

If they were smart they would hold off on making fun of Biden at all. The last thing we need right now is to make our one hope at preventing a nuclear holocaust seem like a joke. I'm already worried about the percentage of left-leaning people that will be abstaining from voting just because they don't like Biden (just like they did with Hillary).

by Anonymousreply 23September 17, 2020 8:48 PM

R23, completely agreed. They better not make any dementia jokes, those are already tired and complete BS at this point.

by Anonymousreply 24September 17, 2020 8:51 PM

Biden is not all there, cognitively. Neither is Trump. Hopefully in the next election we won't have to choose between two geriatrics who should've been retired years ago.

by Anonymousreply 25September 17, 2020 9:23 PM

Biden is not as quick as he was 20 years ago, no, but that's due to older age, not dementia. I'm gladly voting for him as I did in the primary.

by Anonymousreply 26September 17, 2020 9:27 PM

Great that you're voting for a man who's not as quick as he was. Christ. Like that's what we need in a president. And Trump is the same. They both are ridiculous candidates.

by Anonymousreply 27September 17, 2020 9:37 PM

Vote Dump out. If Biden dies, Harris is fine and she can pick a young VP. Stop this nonsense that both are the same. Far from it.

by Anonymousreply 28September 17, 2020 9:43 PM

keep choking that chicken R27 concern trolling is such fun

by Anonymousreply 29September 17, 2020 9:43 PM

They're both ridiculous candidates r29. Yes, Biden is ridiculous. Whoever thought putting an 80 year-old man in the office of the president is a great idea is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2020 9:54 PM

R30, you are really, really, really concerned.

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2020 10:00 PM

[quote] They both are ridiculous candidates.

More of that BS "both sides do it" type of argument. Go away Boris.

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2020 10:01 PM

Nobody "put Biden in". Biden decided to run. He won fair and square as far as I saw it go down. Bernie is a crack pot with very little legislative success. Biden had the most experience and the majority of dems went with him, despite knowing his age. I'm not concerned because Biden is OK and Kamela is there anyway.

by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2020 10:09 PM

You can also be sure if a democratic president did 1/20 of the crazy of Trump, a democratic cabinet would 86 him.

by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2020 10:11 PM

Nope, Jason Sudeikis should.

by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2020 10:56 PM

I love that pointing out Biden is old AF and unfit to run makes me a Boris! Guess what, not all of us are in lock-step with shitty choices made by Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2020 11:41 PM

We had the choice to elect young candidates this year. In fact, during the primaries, with the exception of Biden, Bloomberg, Bernie, and that crazy guy from Wisconsin pretty much all of the candidates were young. Yet we chose the dude who's a thousand years old. Republicans did the same thing in 2016.

For some reason America only seems comfortable with electing elderly men. It's odd.

by Anonymousreply 37September 18, 2020 12:24 AM

We'll just have to wait for the Boomers to die off r37. That's the only way we're finally going to get younger leadership and truly progressive policies.

by Anonymousreply 38September 18, 2020 12:30 AM

R37, that’s not always true. Before Trump the last three Presidents weren’t elderly.

by Anonymousreply 39September 18, 2020 12:31 AM

I'm actually surprised Jim Carrey hasn't blown his head off by now. Dude has some serious mental issues and demons.

by Anonymousreply 40September 18, 2020 12:32 AM

Carrey might do a good job, you never know. Both him and Biden are fairly high energy personalities. The only thing I couldn't sit through is another one of Cecily Strongs nauseatingly sympathetic "poor trapped Melania" impersonations. Though to be fair,that might be more the writers doing than Strongs.

by Anonymousreply 41September 18, 2020 12:44 AM

Twenty cast members is too many. After commercials and musical guests, the actual skit portion of the show is barely an hour.

by Anonymousreply 42September 18, 2020 12:46 AM

R9 I totally respect your opinion and enjoyed Jason too. There was just something about Woody that I liked a little bit better. I'm eager to see how Jim handles the role.

by Anonymousreply 43September 18, 2020 1:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!