Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Queen dumped

Barbados to remove Queen as head of state next year and become a republic to ‘leave our colonial past behind’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112September 21, 2020 7:26 AM

"Barbados to remove Queen's head and become a republic to ‘leave our colonial past behind'" -- now we're talkin'!

by Anonymousreply 1September 16, 2020 10:28 PM

Queen Liz has been cancelled!!

by Anonymousreply 2September 16, 2020 10:30 PM

I went to Barbados several years ago and it was full of British people.

by Anonymousreply 3September 16, 2020 10:31 PM

Queen Elisabeth is DEAD to me.

by Anonymousreply 4September 16, 2020 10:32 PM

When the Queen dies, there will many more countries dumping the monarchy.

by Anonymousreply 5September 16, 2020 10:33 PM

Pretty much every Caribbean island under the monarchy is going to do this within the next ten years. Bermuda has been itching for it for a while. The others will join suit.

This also applies to every other colonial Caribbean island. Curacao, Aruba, Martinique, Guadeloupe. They're all going to go independent soon.

by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2020 10:33 PM

Pretty much every Caribbean island under the monarchy is going to do this within the next ten years. Bermuda has been itching for it for a while. The others will join suit.

This also applies to every other colonial Caribbean island. Curacao, Aruba, Martinique, Guadeloupe. They're all going to go independent soon.

by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2020 10:33 PM

Sounds good.

by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2020 10:36 PM

Would that we could too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 16, 2020 10:37 PM

To be replaced by Rihanna.

by Anonymousreply 10September 16, 2020 10:37 PM

Too bad for all the Barbadians who grew up thinking they they up and could move to the UK whenever they felt like it - that's all over now, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 11September 16, 2020 10:38 PM

R10 for the win

by Anonymousreply 12September 16, 2020 10:39 PM

What about white countries like NZ, Australia and Canada who still have the Queen as head of state?

by Anonymousreply 13September 16, 2020 10:48 PM

It shows a lot of restraint for her not to use the navy to keep Barbados in the fold.

by Anonymousreply 14September 16, 2020 10:50 PM

[quote] It shows a lot of restraint for her not to use the navy to keep Barbados in the fold.

She'd be hated if she brought in the military. I don't think she's restraining herself out of the goodness of her heart.

by Anonymousreply 15September 16, 2020 10:53 PM

She could probably just send in her personal guard and defeat the natives.

by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2020 10:57 PM

On a positive note, they are now no longer the white woman's burden.

by Anonymousreply 17September 16, 2020 10:59 PM

This old hag is still alive?

by Anonymousreply 18September 16, 2020 10:59 PM

Will Queen Kate happen or she won’t get the title ?

by Anonymousreply 19September 16, 2020 10:59 PM

I wondered the same thing R11. There are definite advantages to being the Commonwealth.

by Anonymousreply 20September 16, 2020 11:05 PM

Watch. It will set a domino effect. I predict no independent Caribbean nation will have Elizabeth II as head of state within the next five years.

by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2020 11:06 PM

Will potential visitors feel less safe visiting Caribbean nations that are independent "republics"? Being part of the Commonwealth bestows a certain sense of stability and civility.

by Anonymousreply 22September 16, 2020 11:11 PM

[quote] Being part of the Commonwealth bestows a certain sense of stability and civility.

It does? The British Caribbean are/were probably the most virulently homophobic islands of them all. I'd rather go to Puerto Rico or Aruba.

by Anonymousreply 23September 16, 2020 11:17 PM

r23, I agree - I was going to include islands that are controlled by America or European countries as also being preferable over independent island nations.

by Anonymousreply 24September 16, 2020 11:20 PM

Agreed, r23. This could hurt their tourism for that reason.

by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2020 11:23 PM

Barbados is staying in the Commonwealth. Trinidad and Tobago and Sri Lanka (among others) all became republics and stayed in the Commonwealth.

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2020 11:29 PM

The psychotic Megstans made the news - again - for their lunatic delusions

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2020 11:32 PM

We'll see. Jamaica was going to do this a while back (about 10 years ago; was the stated priority of PM Portia Simpson-Miller) but haven't gotten around to it yet.

by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2020 11:35 PM

Why did this take them so long? They established independence in 1966.

by Anonymousreply 29September 16, 2020 11:47 PM

You'll Be Back - Hamilton - Jonathan Groff

Don't do it Barbados.

"And when push come to shove...I will kill your friends and family to remind you of my love."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2020 12:29 AM

Hey Barbados:

First, step back. Then escape. Buy a house in Santa Barbara. Get a deal with Netflix. Sue everyone who crosses your path. Be a self-righteous, sanctimonious, pain in the ass.

You'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2020 12:33 AM

I'll bet they will still ask Britain for aid money, though.

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2020 12:34 AM

The only reason the Queen is still head of state in some of those countries is that those countries don't trust any of their own locals to do the job. Anyway, it's good to have a permanent head of state - it fosters stability; no need for the vagaries of the Electoral College, guys.

by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2020 12:40 AM

I think most of the Commonwealth will bail when the old girl climbs the six foot ladder. It will be the perfect time to dump the British and diminish Charles’ ability to do damage

by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2020 12:43 AM

R34 they don't have to "bail" because they're not held on a charge, unlike you probably.

by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2020 12:49 AM

Good for them.

by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2020 1:11 AM

r33 So then why do places like Canada and New Zealand keep her as head of state?

by Anonymousreply 37September 17, 2020 1:18 AM

Let them fire QEII. No one has ever stood in their way and no one ever will. When she started she was Queen of Pakistan etc. It's up to those countries to decide if and when they wish to have another head of state.

by Anonymousreply 38September 17, 2020 1:19 AM

[quote] So then why do places like Canada and New Zealand keep her as head of state?

Same reason.

by Anonymousreply 39September 17, 2020 1:20 AM

[quote] What about white countries like NZ, Australia and Canada who still have the Queen as head of state?

Nothing will happen in Canada. Trying to amend the constitution is a third rail of politics here and no federal government is going to dare touch it. Not worth it.

by Anonymousreply 40September 17, 2020 1:22 AM

[quote]Why did this take them so long? They established independence in 1966.

There are a lot of countries that established independence way before that that still have her as head of state. Australia, Canada, NZ.

by Anonymousreply 41September 17, 2020 1:23 AM

She's fine! She sends her love!

by Anonymousreply 42September 17, 2020 1:23 AM

R20 if you think that being a citizen of a Commonwealth country gives you automatic entree to the UK then you know nothing about the UK or the Commonwealth. Those days are long gone.

by Anonymousreply 43September 17, 2020 1:25 AM

I worked with a lady who was a native of Guyana. One day we got talking and she told me about Queen Elizabeth's visit to Georgetown in 1966. My friend's eyes lit up and her whole countenance changed. For just a moment she became that small girl again. It was clearly a huge deal to have been a young girl waiting with thousands of others along the route the motorcade took, just to get a glance of the Queen.

by Anonymousreply 44September 17, 2020 1:25 AM

[quote]R15 She'd be hated if she brought in the military.

If they’re kicking her out, it’s not like her colostomy bagged ass is beloved now.

by Anonymousreply 45September 17, 2020 1:26 AM

There has been rumblings in NZ for the last few years by politicians and the public to remove NZ from the commonwealth. Maoris have become a powerhouse after Treaty of Waitangi settlements. Making The maori language Te Reo compulsory in schools and the educational and economic grants given to Maori within their tribes. They also have invested in big business. They want NZ to be independent.

by Anonymousreply 46September 17, 2020 1:27 AM

What is the practical effect of this? Does it actually change anything or is it just symbolic?

by Anonymousreply 47September 17, 2020 1:27 AM

I had the interesting experience of working as assistant to one of the editors (yes, there are more than one) of the recent HQ release "Finding Freedom". I thought you guys - especially the Crown sympathizers, like r27 - might like to know that while the British Royal Family does occasionally come across rather poorly in the book, there were also definitely bits that, while verified to be true by numerous sources, were in the end kept from the finished draft. This was done mostly at the behest of one of our senior editors, who in addition to being quite old is also conservative.

For instance, it was left out that one of the main reasons Prince Harry and Meghan Markle left the U.K. is the noxious stench that fires from QEII's practically decomposing cunt. There is absolutely no way to remove it (the smell) from any room she's entered. This is one reason Miss Markle wanted to use air fresheners in St. George's Chapel at Windsor the day of her wedding. The Prince had warned Markle what it was like to live with this fetid, all-pervading stink but she had no idea it could be so bad. Ultimately, she felt it was best to raise her child away from the toxic reek, which court doctors still do not understand.

Anyway, ask me any questions if you like. My contract with the publisher's up.

by Anonymousreply 48September 17, 2020 1:30 AM

R15 The Queen in Barbados and any other place except the UK is represented by the Governor-General. The Gs-G do as they are told by the Prime Minister of Barbados, NZ, Oz etc No troops hun.

by Anonymousreply 49September 17, 2020 1:32 AM

Block number 45

by Anonymousreply 50September 17, 2020 1:37 AM

Dump the Queen before they have to endure Camilla

by Anonymousreply 51September 17, 2020 1:37 AM

[quote] What is the practical effect of this? Does it actually change anything or is it just symbolic?

Barbados will have presidential elections for the first time ever, timed to ensure the current prime minister is elected president [for life].

by Anonymousreply 52September 17, 2020 1:38 AM

R46 is an ignoramus. NZ is an independent sovereign state. The Queen happens to be their head of state. She's also head of state in Barbados and other countries. All countries can fire her anytime they like.

by Anonymousreply 53September 17, 2020 1:43 AM

R6/R7: What are you on about? Aruba is a part of the Netherlands in free association. they're not going anywhere. Martinique and Guadeloupe are Overseas Regions of the French Republic, with full representation in the French Parliament and full voting rights for the French Presidency.

The Commonwealth Realms are all independent already, they just use the Queen as Head of State.

Bermuda is an Overseas Territory of the UK and is not an independent nation. It's also not in the Caribbean.

by Anonymousreply 54September 17, 2020 1:58 AM

R53 I know that numbnuts. But unlike the Us and UK the NZ government actually works with its populus they don't just say hey no more Queen guys we have decided. The decision will be made with the NZ voters. Before it would never have happened. Now it's more and more likely it will.

by Anonymousreply 55September 17, 2020 2:07 AM

No it’s not just symbolic, R47. It means that, for example, anyone born in Barbados can aspire to be the head of state of their country. Rather than having to accept that their head of state is a foreign woman who lives thousands of kilometres away and qualified for the role purely based on who here father was.

As it stands, if the first and second in line to the throne died followed by the Queen (who I hugely admire, btw) the next head of state and head of the commonwealth would be a seven year old boy.

Not the most logical system, really.

by Anonymousreply 56September 17, 2020 2:09 AM

Australia's next.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57September 17, 2020 2:11 AM

[quote] If they’re kicking her out, it’s not like her colostomy bagged ass is beloved now.

I meant that she'd be hated in general, not just in Barbados. She would look like a bully to bring in the military.

by Anonymousreply 58September 17, 2020 2:15 AM

Of course. It would be indefensible.

by Anonymousreply 59September 17, 2020 2:23 AM

Elizabeth Windsor has no power to mobilize the UK military under any circumstances.

You must be thinking of a truly great Queen of England, Elizabeth I.

by Anonymousreply 60September 17, 2020 2:23 AM

Rude to do it now. Why not just wait till after she’s dead? Poor Her Majesty.

by Anonymousreply 61September 17, 2020 2:29 AM

The Queen of Barbados is the commander in chief of the Barbados military which will be called out, if ever, only the the advice of the Governor-General of Barbados on the advice of the Prime Minister of Barbados. The Saxe-Coburg lot in London need not be disturbed, as a rule (but compare and contrast Grenada).

by Anonymousreply 62September 17, 2020 2:29 AM

[quote] I know that numbnuts. But unlike the Us and UK the NZ government actually works with its populus they don't just say hey no more Queen guys we have decided. The decision will be made with the NZ voters. Before it would never have happened. Now it's more and more likely it will.

Outside of NZ, nobody really cares about your little sheep-fucking kingdom down-under. If you want the Queen, ask her if she'll come and live in NZ: the answer will be 'no'. If you don't want the Queen, she won't even comment.

by Anonymousreply 63September 17, 2020 2:36 AM

Mountbatten, R62.

by Anonymousreply 64September 17, 2020 2:37 AM

[quote] Outside of NZ, nobody really cares about your little sheep-fucking kingdom down-under. If you want the Queen, ask her if she'll come and live in NZ: the answer will be 'no'. If you don't want the Queen, she won't even comment.

The same goes for plucky little Barbados, soon to have presidential politics, good luck with that.

by Anonymousreply 65September 17, 2020 2:47 AM

Barbados, meet Mia your president for life. Because the constitution of Barbados does not limit the number of times you can be president because their constitution does not provide for a president.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66September 17, 2020 2:52 AM

Mia, I am yours. Marry me, I am a gay. I will be your First Spouse. I promise not to try to have sex with Your Worship, President for Life. I agree to be a fellow-trustee of the Mugabe Foundation, at your orders.

by Anonymousreply 67September 17, 2020 3:15 AM

Mia, I am from St Kitts [Panama] if you wish to invest. Many people wouldn't understand but we do [Virgin Is].

by Anonymousreply 68September 17, 2020 3:22 AM

Do posters like r14/r15 actually think the Royal family has any control over the British military? They are symbols whose job is to smile and wave, they have no real power.

by Anonymousreply 69September 17, 2020 3:23 AM

[quote] the next head of state and head of the commonwealth would be a seven year old boy.

It would be an improvement over what we have in the White House right now.

by Anonymousreply 70September 17, 2020 3:25 AM

[quote]R61 Rude to do it now. Why not just wait till after she’s dead? Poor Her Majesty.

The “poor girl” will have more time to work her prolapsed pussy with her diamond studded dildo.

These are supposed to be her Golden Years, after all.

by Anonymousreply 71September 17, 2020 3:37 AM

[quote] Do posters like [R14]/[R15] actually think the Royal family has any control over the British military? They are symbols whose job is to smile and wave, they have no real power.

The BRF has no control over the military except for the Queen on the advice of the PM, British PM or Barbados PM, for their respective countries which are independent from one another.

by Anonymousreply 72September 17, 2020 3:37 AM

[quote] The Queen dumped

One isn't displeased. One was here when they stared in 1966. They are very kindly people indeed and loved one. Good luck, God speed.

by Anonymousreply 73September 17, 2020 3:47 AM

[quote][R20] if you think that being a citizen of a Commonwealth country gives you automatic entree to the UK then you know nothing about the UK or the Commonwealth. Those days are long gone.

Thanks, r43, I was just about to address this, being a citizen of a Commonwealth country in no way grants a person the automatic rights to reside and work in the UK.

r66, I have no doubt term limits will be put in place for the President, similar to the set up in Dominica. There's no way we will agree to a 'President for life' situation. Even with the removal of the Queen as Head of State (merely a symbolic designation) I am sure that Barbados will remain in the Commonwealth, similar to the other Caribbean countries that have elected for republic status.

by Anonymousreply 74September 17, 2020 4:46 AM

I know I'm going to get shit for saying this but Lizzy should have abdicated once she wasn't able to tour the commonwealth countries. Too much time has gone by since she's been on tour and when that happens people lose their sense of loyalty and tradition.

by Anonymousreply 75September 17, 2020 4:56 AM

Yeah because having your head of state scheduling a visit every ten years from her palace 20,000km away makes perfect sense, R75.

I’m not having a go at you, by BTW - just pointing out the essential absurdity of the current system.

by Anonymousreply 76September 17, 2020 5:01 AM

Well that's what I'm saying. She shouldn't be making infrequent visits like she's some aunt from another country.

by Anonymousreply 77September 17, 2020 5:04 AM

My point was more about having a head of state “visiting” the country of which they are head, rather than the frequency.

One very simple example gets the points across well in this sports-mad country - if the Australian rugby team tours England and HM heads out to Twickenham for the final, which team does she support?

by Anonymousreply 78September 17, 2020 5:10 AM

[quote] Sue everyone who crosses your path.

Oh dear, please do us a favor—if the British gutter press shit all over you half as bad as they did Meghan, you’d be lawyered up to the moon and back.

by Anonymousreply 79September 17, 2020 5:18 AM

She stays neutral. Or she should.

by Anonymousreply 80September 17, 2020 5:18 AM

[quote]The Gs-G do as they are told by the Prime Minister of Barbados, NZ, Oz etc No troops hun.

Uh, no, they don't. It's the other way around. At least in Australia's case. Where the PM Gough Whitlam was dismissed by the GG Sir John Kerr due to political scandal in 1975 aka The Dismissal. Aussies are still pissed off about it.

by Anonymousreply 81September 17, 2020 5:26 AM

Yet Canada still clings to the Queen. I predict anti-colonialism will become the next woke trend and see all these countries she’d this anachronistic practice of having the British Monarch as head of state.

by Anonymousreply 82September 17, 2020 5:44 AM

This isn’t a big deal. If the good former dominions did it, it still wouldn’t be a big deal.

by Anonymousreply 83September 17, 2020 5:44 AM

New Zealand voted against redesigning their flag to remove the Union Jack from it. The proposed designs were beautiful. These countries don’t have a real sense of self or pride. They think being ruled by a foreign monarch is privilege.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84September 17, 2020 6:24 AM

The Canucks got rid of the Union Jack in 1965.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85September 17, 2020 3:44 PM

Rhianna (?) is going to be the next Queen of Barbados.

by Anonymousreply 86September 17, 2020 5:35 PM

People, i.e., OP, have the flimsiest understanding of the BRF.

by Anonymousreply 87September 17, 2020 5:59 PM

Here you go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88September 17, 2020 6:19 PM

So will this encourage USVI, PR, etc. to gain independence from the US?

by Anonymousreply 89September 17, 2020 6:22 PM

Barbados is already independent. Since 1966.

by Anonymousreply 90September 17, 2020 6:25 PM

[quote]The Canucks got rid of the Union Jack in 1965.

But Hawaii still uses it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91September 17, 2020 6:30 PM

The Sandwich Islands, always so loyal.

by Anonymousreply 92September 17, 2020 6:36 PM

Great for Barbados!

by Anonymousreply 93September 17, 2020 6:48 PM

Her majesty is heartbroken

by Anonymousreply 94September 17, 2020 9:35 PM

Well, hopefully they'll stay in the Commonwealth. Barbados is such a friendly country.

by Anonymousreply 95September 17, 2020 9:37 PM

They hate the Queen, but they hate gays even more.

by Anonymousreply 96September 17, 2020 9:46 PM

If Scotland would just do the same thing . . .

by Anonymousreply 97September 17, 2020 10:08 PM

Only Americans love the royalties

by Anonymousreply 98September 17, 2020 10:45 PM

R89. It sounds like you know little of the economic situation in Puerto Rico.

There is a growing movement to become a STATE, not to get independence.

Half of Puerto Ricans live and work in the states. This provides an economic lifeline for those left on the island.

Independence = no US passport and no jobs.

by Anonymousreply 99September 17, 2020 11:17 PM

R99 And no Trump

by Anonymousreply 100September 17, 2020 11:47 PM

Puerto Rico has Cuomo, that is all that matters. Cuomo got them aid after the hurricane.

Again, you know nothing of PR if you think borinqueños want to split with US. PR would collapse economically - it is almost there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101September 17, 2020 11:54 PM

I'm glad the old girl can still manage a dump. At her age she probably has to rely on Metamucil for regularity.

by Anonymousreply 102September 18, 2020 12:25 AM

R100 if it weren't for Trump Puerto Rico would have no paper towels.

by Anonymousreply 103September 18, 2020 7:04 AM

R11, r20 - Barbados will still be in the Commonwealth, having the Queen as the head of state has nothing to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 104September 18, 2020 8:02 AM

Do you really think New Zealand is "ruled" by a foreign monarch? Even England isn't ruled by the Queen.

by Anonymousreply 105September 18, 2020 8:04 AM

R65, why on earth would Barbados convert to a presidential system just because they're changing the ceremonial head of state? Barbados has a parliamentary system and the head of government is the prime minister.

by Anonymousreply 106September 18, 2020 8:07 AM

Several countries have quit the Commonwealth, only to subsequently be readmitted: South Africa, Pakistan, The Gambia, The Maldives.

by Anonymousreply 107September 18, 2020 8:18 AM

New Zealand is interesting because it provides a hierarchical realm for the Queen. NZ has its own realm with Cook Islands and Niue which are associated to NZ and Tokelau which is dependent to NZ (aka Aotearoa).

by Anonymousreply 108September 18, 2020 8:25 AM

The Queen and her family are just tourist attractions for the UK. No point in other countries having her as head of state.

by Anonymousreply 109September 20, 2020 9:55 PM

Barbados can go fuck itself for all I care.

by Anonymousreply 110September 21, 2020 12:07 AM

r84 most o us voted against the flag change because we knew it was nothing more than a vanity project for the outgoing prime minister who wanted to cement a legacy.

by Anonymousreply 111September 21, 2020 12:22 AM

R84, the Queen doesn't actually rule New Zealand or Barbardos or any of the countries she is queen of or even the UK. Do you even know what a ceremonial head of state is?

by Anonymousreply 112September 21, 2020 7:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!