Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

CDC chief says masks better at stopping coronavirus than a vaccine

“This face mask is more guaranteed to protect me against COVID than when I take a COVID vaccine,” Redfield said, referring to COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus. That disease has now killed about 200,000 people in the United States.

Redfield went on to say that a vaccine could have an immunogenicity of 70 percent, meaning that it may not work in close to one-third of people to whom it was administered.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 16, 2020 10:01 PM

People think a vaccine means masks and social distancing finally goes away. They’re in for a rude awakening.

by Anonymousreply 1September 16, 2020 8:51 PM

Like Asia has done for years now, much of the world will start wearing masks alot

by Anonymousreply 2September 16, 2020 8:59 PM

I'll take my chances with the vaccine. Not everyone is going to wear a mask, or if they do, wear it properly. And of course, wearing a mask doesn't protect you from other forms of transmission. Idiotic headline.

by Anonymousreply 3September 16, 2020 9:00 PM

yikes!

by Anonymousreply 4September 16, 2020 9:01 PM

How about both a vaccine and a mask?

by Anonymousreply 5September 16, 2020 9:07 PM

WTH is he talking about anyway. How does he know how effective a hypothetical vaccine is? And, yeah, I'm not going to stop wearing masks anyway. There's a lot of other stuff going around during the winter besides COVID.

by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2020 9:09 PM

Masks only work if you social distance. Are people content just to go into lockdown forever? The detrimental effects of a lockdown lasting more than a year would be far worse than any excess deaths due to Covid, even now without a vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2020 9:12 PM

[QUOTE] How about both a vaccine and a mask?

That will be the choice for most of us. I think what Redfield is trying to say is that they’re not mutually exclusive. He’s attempting to prepare us for the reality that a vaccine won’t mean the miraculous end of the Coronavirus. We’ll still need to take the same damn precautions we’re taking right now.

by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2020 9:35 PM

R8 Good luck with that. People would rather accept it as the new normal and accept the risks that come with it.

by Anonymousreply 9September 16, 2020 9:40 PM

I made the decision a few weeks ago that I will not ditch the mask for the foreseeable future, vaccine or not. I'm 67 years old, so I have resigned myself to the idea that I will probably be wearing a mask when I go out in public for the rest of my life.

by Anonymousreply 10September 16, 2020 9:40 PM

"The detrimental effects of a lockdown lasting more than a year would be far worse than any excess deaths due to Covid, even now without a vaccine."

It's going to be much longer than a year. This shit isn't going away. Two years from now, we will all be wearing masks and still living like we are all infected. I mean, AIDS never went away and condoms are still recommended to prevent it. This world is forever changed.

by Anonymousreply 11September 16, 2020 9:55 PM

R11 I don't doubt that some people would like to see this go on indefinitely. Those hoping for a housing crash and all the tech monopolies for one.

by Anonymousreply 12September 16, 2020 10:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!