Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Singapore experiences - please share

I just read a book set in Singapore and it sounds like an interesting place. I'd like to visit in the future when we are past COVID. If anyone has been, please share your thoughts.

by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2020 10:56 PM

Singapore is a little like living in the Disney version of South East Asia. It is lush, beautiful, modern, comfortable but boring, rigid, and expensive. Everything works though unlike the more lively and chaotic nearby countries.

by Anonymousreply 1September 16, 2020 1:37 PM

It's not very gay friendly, there are other places I'd suggest.

by Anonymousreply 2September 16, 2020 1:37 PM

R2 such as?

by Anonymousreply 3September 16, 2020 1:40 PM

It's the Switzerland of East Asia, and that is not a compliment.

Very rich, very anal-retentive. Fine for a visit if you've got a lot of cash (they've built up all sorts of tourist attractions), but basically a police state full of people who like living in a police state. A nation of Asian Karens, if you will.

by Anonymousreply 4September 16, 2020 1:45 PM

I've been there several times OP. Singapore is fucking hot. Very rich, very nicely organised, very westernized and some incredibly interesting and quirky architecture.

I'd rather go to Thailand. There's so much more to do, much more concentrated culture, stunning places to visit, very gay friendly and lovely people. Best and most delicious food in the whole world too!

You can do both and if you fly with Singapore Airlines you should be able to get a stopover in Thailand easily for free or get a very cheap flight from Singapore to Thailand. I would do no more than 5 days in Singapore and then spend the rest of your vacation time in Thailand.

by Anonymousreply 5September 16, 2020 1:54 PM

Singapore is what happens when a place is completely capitalistic.

No heart or soul at all--only lots of money

by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2020 2:06 PM

Really good street food and Singapore Airlines (and Changi Airport) are the world’s best. The street food is actually available at the airport in the employee food court, so you can skip the humidity if you want. Also worth leaving the airport for brunch at the Raffles Hotel for a taste of fine colonial living.

by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2020 2:08 PM

Humid climate, harsh penal system.

by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2020 2:17 PM

Beautiful city and airport. Police everywhere and I found the locals watching us for any transgressions they could report and when we tried to hail a cab NY style we got scolded. You have to go to the cab stands.

by Anonymousreply 9September 16, 2020 2:20 PM

SIN is the most sterile and soulless country I've been to, having visited most of SEA. On other hand, didn't mind it, when on expense account for work, given its compactness and efficiency, just wouldn't want to live or vacation there.

by Anonymousreply 10September 16, 2020 2:28 PM

All I remember about Singapore is the two-storey waterfall at the airport and that the streets were so clean you could eat off them.

by Anonymousreply 11September 16, 2020 2:33 PM

R5 - where do you recommend in Thailand? And thanks for the advice!

by Anonymousreply 12September 16, 2020 9:08 PM

In Thailand you’ve got your sleazy sex-tourist bar and beach areas. Then you’ve got your backpacker druggie rave bar and beach areas. The middle the country has national parks, historic old capitals, but otherwise not very interesting to foreigners. The north has the mountains for trekking, hill tribes and is generally cooler. Bangkok is 24-hour non-stop chaos and pollution. It really depends what your interests are.

by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2020 6:57 PM

Singapore looked really cool in "Crazy Rich Asians."

by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2020 7:05 PM

Good place for a caning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 17, 2020 7:08 PM

While aside from the trauma of getting there, I found it fascinating. This was my first "big overseas" trip, so I wasn't very adventurous. I loved the zoo tour at night, and the 4 Chopsticks monument is interesting. It is spectacularly clean, and the people are kind but quite reserved. Now that I've grown older and know how to do proper research before leaving home, I'd love to go back. A great experience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 17, 2020 7:15 PM

^^R38 in the related thread^^

by Anonymousreply 17September 17, 2020 7:16 PM

Everything I've heard about its climate makes it sound like one of the most oppressively hot and humid major cities in the world.

by Anonymousreply 18September 17, 2020 7:18 PM

"but basically a police state full of people who like living in a police state."

Sounds wonderful to us. Just what we've been looking for and just what America needs to be great again.

by Anonymousreply 19September 17, 2020 7:19 PM

I met some people from there on a trip to Sri Lanka. They were all nice, funny and smart. It does sound very hot and somewhat rigid culturally, but their attitude toward things like mask wearing is much more rational, and they seem to appreciate that they need to work together instead of arguing about their right to get sick/make others sick. Also, privately they have plenty of jokes about their own culture and government, not unlike us or any other country. It does sound hot, modern and clean, as mentioned above.

by Anonymousreply 20September 17, 2020 7:36 PM

You GOTTA try this astounding, even orgasmic thing they have called the "Singapore Sling!"

Oh, and I guess there's ALSO an alcoholic beverage by that name . . .

by Anonymousreply 21September 17, 2020 7:37 PM

I was there for work, setting up an office and hiring staff. While same sex activity is technically still illegal in Singapore, there are bars and "massage parlors" that openly cater towards gay men (I've tried both.) I lived in a modern condo tower in Novena, north of the CBD, that had a gym and pool. Public transportation was well run and very clean. Uber was available so I used that a lot to get around. Shopping can be fun as they have whole malls dedicated to specific categories of goods like a whole complex devoted to sporting goods or one just for filipino foods/groceries. Orchard Road is their main shopping hub, lots of luxury shops.

I remember one of the first things someone told me about Singapore was obey all the rules, even the small ones like don't litter or don't eat/drink on the trains. A co-worker once told me a story of how she was walking in a park with friends one day and while getting something out of her bag, she dropped a tissue. Even before she was able to pick it up, someone stepped up her, said she was littering and gave her a ticket.

Another nice thing about Singapore is that it's a great jumping off point for other parts of the Oceania region so you can take trips to Hong Kong, Tokyo or even Sydney.

by Anonymousreply 22September 17, 2020 7:38 PM

Go there at least once to experience a city-state that’s clean and virtually crime-free, a rarity in today’s world. For pretty much the same but with greater degree of WTF and super-advanced, world class city, go to Tokyo. The Japanese leave you alone if you’re gay. If you want super gay-friendly in Asia you go to Taipei, Taiwan. Not as clean as Singapore but people there know how to have fun and the food is just as good if not better due to the Japanese and traditional Chinese (pre-communist) influences.

by Anonymousreply 23September 17, 2020 7:40 PM

I have been there four times and I would not recommend it for more than 3 nights. As it has been said, it is boring. Beautiful but soulless. Stay one night at the hotel with the pool on the roof and it is very impressive, beautiful at night. However, avoid summers (May to October, approximately) because it is humid and hot as you cannot imagine.

by Anonymousreply 24September 17, 2020 7:45 PM

I lived and worked there for two years. The best part of Singapore is its location and the (at the time) availability of budget airlines. I got away from Singapore at every opportunity.

The Singaporeans hate the large expat community. The expats on the whole are awful.

You know that there’s something wrong with a place when the chief weekend recreation is shopping.

by Anonymousreply 25September 17, 2020 8:01 PM

Ugh - sounds horrible. NYC is sterile enough - absolutely no need to ever see Singapore.

by Anonymousreply 26September 17, 2020 8:40 PM

I lived in SE Asia for years and would drop down to Singapore when i was desperate for organization. After a few days there i was ready to get back to Bangkok's chaos.

by Anonymousreply 27September 17, 2020 8:48 PM

Leave your spray paint at home.

by Anonymousreply 28September 17, 2020 9:04 PM

r19 The Deplorables wouldn't last five minutes in Singapore. They want to defy rules, not follow them.

by Anonymousreply 29September 17, 2020 9:40 PM

LOL, I showed up one year and the crosswalks had arrows painted on them in an attempt to get pedestrians to stay in their lane while crossing the street. Totally ignored of course.

Still you have to admire that after WWII, they were in bad shape, then there was the split with Malaysia but an authoritarian leader was able to marshal the country and it became one of the most modern countries in the world.

by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2020 10:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!