Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Birds are dropping dead in New Mexico, potentially in the 'hundreds of thousands'

Wildlife experts in New Mexico say birds in the region are dropping dead in alarming numbers, potentially in the "hundreds of thousands."

“It appears to be an unprecedented and a very large number,” Martha Desmond, a professor at New Mexico State University’s department of fish, wildlife, and conservation ecology, told NBC’s Albuquerque affiliate KOB.

New Mexico residents have reported coming upon dead birds on hiking trails, missile ranges, and other locations.

In a video posted by Las Cruces Sun News, journalist Austin Fisher shows a cluster of dead birds he discovered while on a hike on September 13 in the state’s northern Rio Arriba County.

“I have no idea,” Fisher says in the video, as he pans the camera to reveal what appears to be dozens of birds laying dead on the ground.

Desmond said it is difficult to say how many birds are dying, but that there have been reports across the state. “I can say it would easily be in the hundreds of thousands of birds."

Multiple agencies are investigating the occurrences, including the Bureau of Land Management and the White Sands Missile Range, a military testing area.

“On the missile range we might in a week find, get a report of, less than half a dozen birds,” Trish Butler, a biologist at the range, told KOB. “This last week we've had a couple hundred, so that really got our attention.”

It’s unclear to scientists why the die-off is occurring, and Desmond said it’s possible it was caused by a cold front that hit New Mexico last week or by recent droughts.

Desmond also told KOB the deaths could be related to the wildfires in the West. “There may have been some damage to these birds in their lungs. It may have pushed them out early when they weren't ready to migrate.”

The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife said on Twitter that “not much is known about the impacts of smoke and wildfires on birds.”

Scientists are asking the public to report sightings of dead birds to an online database, and that people safely collect the dead birds so that researchers can study them closer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 20, 2020 9:45 PM

Well, that's sad, but I was hoping they were going to be pigeons. Can't stand those flying rats.

by Anonymousreply 1September 16, 2020 8:28 AM

Apocalyse is here. Bye bye world!!!

by Anonymousreply 2September 16, 2020 8:38 AM

Could be 5G

by Anonymousreply 3September 16, 2020 8:39 AM

Could be 5G

by Anonymousreply 4September 16, 2020 8:39 AM

Could be invisible raptors from the seventh dimension.

Could be reverse vampires that work at 7-11.

Because why not make shit up like a moron.

by Anonymousreply 5September 16, 2020 8:46 AM

I got enough shit to worry about. Sorry birdies.

by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2020 9:12 AM

Is Monsanto doing big business out there in NM? Because my first suspicion when something like this shows up is always Roundup and the rest of the toxins they peddle.

by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2020 9:16 AM

I'm in AZ, and I've noticed over the summer that hardly any birds have come to my feeders. Usually they decimate them., although I will say there are still an occasional few to entertain my cats at the window. Still, it's strange.

by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2020 9:48 AM

Birds are facing mass extinction. Quite sad.

by Anonymousreply 9September 16, 2020 9:53 AM

I've been coming upon more dead birds than seems normal here in PA also. Still have a ton at my feeders, though.

by Anonymousreply 10September 16, 2020 11:49 AM

"Buyds! Dirty, disgusting, filthy lice-ridden buyds! Ya' used to be able to sit out on the stoop like a person, not anymore. Buyds!"

Could this be some hantavirus event?

by Anonymousreply 11September 16, 2020 12:24 PM

Well a lot of people don't know the first atomic bomb was developed secretly in Los Alamos NM. Sort of their area 51. God only knows what they are working on now. Birds are very susceptible to toxic things like gases so......

by Anonymousreply 12September 16, 2020 12:34 PM

who's casting in the reboot: Bye Bye Birdie?

by Anonymousreply 13September 16, 2020 12:36 PM

Definitely the 'rona!

by Anonymousreply 14September 16, 2020 12:45 PM

Just like a canary in the coal mine.

Don't look like there will ever be a remake of the movie The Birds.

by Anonymousreply 15September 16, 2020 12:47 PM

I think a lot of people assume the end of the world will be this long, drawn out process, and humans will adjust as we go along until we can't anymore. But, maybe it will be quick and catastrophic and we'll be done before Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2020 12:51 PM

[quote] Scientists are asking the public to report sightings of dead birds to an online database, and that people safely collect the dead birds so that researchers can study them closer.

With all due respect, ma’am, I’ve got problems of my own.

by Anonymousreply 17September 16, 2020 1:02 PM

Which birds? They're not all the same. Turkey vultures? Finches? This is more like gossip than a "report".

by Anonymousreply 18September 16, 2020 1:08 PM

This really does seem like the end of the world.

by Anonymousreply 19September 16, 2020 9:26 PM

Birds are dying off in huge numbers all over the world, as are butterflies and bees; the orcas are now organizing themselves to attack boats; bears are eating campers, and worldwide destruction of natural habitats is exposing humans to novel viruses...

Yes it does seem grim out there.

by Anonymousreply 20September 16, 2020 9:44 PM

Um today I was walking down the street and this lady in front of me kicked something. So I looked down and it was a severed pigeon's head...

by Anonymousreply 21September 17, 2020 1:33 AM

[quote] Well a lot of people don't know the first atomic bomb was developed secretly in Los Alamos NM

By “a lot of people” I think you’re referring to yourself. The rest of us are aware of the key events of the 20th century.

by Anonymousreply 22September 17, 2020 1:34 AM

You were told I am hardcore.

by Anonymousreply 23September 17, 2020 1:35 AM

[quote] Well a lot of people don't know the first atomic bomb was developed secretly in Los Alamos NM.

And I forgot to add that I hear the first atomic bombs were used at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Not many people know.

by Anonymousreply 24September 17, 2020 1:37 AM

Too hot? Smoke from the wildfires?

... bird flu?

by Anonymousreply 25September 17, 2020 1:38 AM

Too many cow farts.

by Anonymousreply 26September 17, 2020 3:59 AM

R20 Shit. It's The Apocalypse. Looks like I gotta scramble to get my act together.

by Anonymousreply 27September 17, 2020 4:16 AM

Whales are dropping dead, birds are dropping dead... who's next?

by Anonymousreply 28September 17, 2020 1:06 PM

Just saying that humans could have prevented all of this. But we are too greedy and selfish.

No change is going to come, no one wants to change their ways so we are fucked. It’s going to get worse.

by Anonymousreply 29September 17, 2020 1:12 PM

"Whales are dropping dead, birds are dropping dead... who's next? "

MAGAts?

by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2020 1:33 PM

This is what happens just before the Gates of Hell are opened.

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2020 1:37 PM

Sad. On our property, we get dozens of monarchs from July-Sept that breed, therefore we leave the feilds of weeds alone. There's just too much development going on, and the animals have no where to go.

I wonder if the fires have anything to do with it? Is the smoke blowing downward?

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2020 1:45 PM

[quote]By “a lot of people” I think you’re referring to yourself. The rest of us are aware of the key events of the 20th century.

Gramps, I am from New Mexico. It was top secret at the time and then still low key for many people in the US. Half the US population can't even name the Speak of the House. Your pretentiousness to look knowledgeable is showing.

by Anonymousreply 33September 19, 2020 10:43 AM

bird virus

by Anonymousreply 34September 19, 2020 11:19 AM

Not to get all Linda Moulton Howe on everyone but it is interesting as hell.

by Anonymousreply 35September 19, 2020 2:23 PM

I read that it is high-level smoke from the California wildfires that is responsible

by Anonymousreply 36September 19, 2020 2:36 PM

I envy them.

by Anonymousreply 37September 19, 2020 7:31 PM

Bird droppings.

by Anonymousreply 38September 19, 2020 7:32 PM

From Audubon's website:

"We do know that exposure to particulate matter, which of course is of great concern for human health, can affect birds as well,” says Olivia Sanderfoot, a National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellow at the University of Washington Seattle who studies how air pollution affects birds. For example, veterinarians and poultry scientists who study captive birds have found that smoke can damage lung tissue and leave the animals susceptible to potentially lethal respiratory infections.

by Anonymousreply 39September 19, 2020 8:11 PM

Antifa!!

by Anonymousreply 40September 19, 2020 8:19 PM

I only like living birds.

by Anonymousreply 41September 20, 2020 9:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!