Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hagrid actor Robbie Coltrane says people accusing JK Rowling of transphobia 'hang around waiting to be offended'

Robbie Coltrane, who played Hagrid in the "Harry Potter" film series, has defended JK Rowling against accusations of transphobia, arguing that her critics are "waiting to be offended."

"I don't think what she said was offensive really," Coltrane said during an interview with the Radio Times that was seen by Pink News. "I don't know why, but there's a whole Twitter generation of people who hang around waiting to be offended. They wouldn't have won the war, would they?"

He added: "That's me talking like a grumpy old man, but you just think: 'Oh, get over yourself. Wise up, stand up straight, and carry on.'"

Coltrane then continued to say he did not want to speak on the issue any further "because of all the hate mail and all that s--- which I don't need at my time of life."

Rowling has been on the receiving end of allegations of transphobia since June after she took issue with an article that used the phrase "people who menstruate," resulting in a thread of tweets in which she argued, "If sex isn't real, the lived reality of women globally is erased."

Rowling followed these tweets up with a lengthy post blog post in which she elaborated on her "gender critical" views. The blog post, however, was promptly criticized by LGBTQ advocacy groups and medical professionals for containing scientific inaccuracies and perpetuating harmful beliefs about transgender people.

Earlier this week, it was reported that Rowling's new novel, "Troubled Blood," centers on a cisgender male serial killer who fetishizes women's clothing — a decades-old transphobic trope — and that in one instance in Rowling's book, the killer disguises himself as a woman to trick a female victim.

In the first review of the new mystery novel, the Telegraph critic Jake Kerridge says the moral of the book, which is the latest release in the detective series that Rowling writes under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith, "seems to be: never trust a man in a dress."

Defending Rowling's comments sets Coltrane, 70, apart among "Harry Potter" stars, with the leading actors Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Rupert Grint, as well as the "Fantastic Beasts" star Eddie Redmayne, all condemning her views.

Rowling has repeatedly insisted she is not transphobic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 19, 2020 4:48 PM

DL will pat Coltrane on the back but the response would be different if he said gay men who bristle at "queer" or "faggot" are waiting to be offended.

by Anonymousreply 1September 16, 2020 8:24 AM

This is a huge ok boomer

by Anonymousreply 2September 16, 2020 8:26 AM

I’ve never seen Robbie Coltrane and Rosie O’Donnell in the same place at the same time. Does Robbie dress up in women’s clothes? I’m just saying...

by Anonymousreply 3September 16, 2020 8:26 AM

[quote] there's a whole Twitter generation of people who hang around waiting to be offended

[quote] They wouldn't have won the war, would they?"

[quote] He added: "That's me talking like a grumpy old man, but you just think: 'Oh, get over yourself. Wise up, stand up straight, and carry on.'"

I knew there was a reason I always loved Hagrid.

by Anonymousreply 4September 16, 2020 8:31 AM

He's 100% right.

by Anonymousreply 5September 16, 2020 8:36 AM

Gay men aren't hanging around on Twitter waiting to be offended r1 and thanks to the tranification of the LGB, we're all queer now!

Could you actually point to anything that Rowling said that's the equivalent of "faggot"? Women menstruate? Biological sex is real? Same-sex attraction exists?

by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2020 8:39 AM

Good for him. Sad that the other Potter stars are so brainwashed they're condemning her.

by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2020 8:45 AM

How about the murderer of her new novel is a cross dresser?

Just going to ignore the elephant that just took a dump on her "I'm not transphobic" claim?

Hey look over there!

It's Frank Sinatra sitting in a chair.

And he's blowing perfect smoke rings up into the air..

Smoke makes a staircase for you to descend.

So rare.

by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2020 8:54 AM

Rowling clearly stated her serial killer character is a “cis male” who cross-dresses, not a trans person. Considering the deluge of cross-dressing pedophiles pretending to be drag queens who groom baby drag queens, she’s just surfing the zeitgeist, although it sounds like a complete rip-off of DePalma’s “Dressed To Kill.”

by Anonymousreply 9September 16, 2020 8:56 AM

And everytime I see those smoke rings, I think you're there, R8.

I think I love you for quoting that. 😘

by Anonymousreply 10September 16, 2020 9:05 AM

R8 Read it, have you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 16, 2020 9:09 AM

So you've read the book, have you? I mean, I know the right-wing Daily Telegraph hates Rowling and is always looking to shit on her, but do you think that even they would make the mistake of releasing such a spoiler as actually giving the killer away in a review?

by Anonymousreply 12September 16, 2020 9:15 AM

One of the notorious DL Prancing Ponies was a crazy Tolkien internet cult leader FTM, who went on to write an epically terrible Harry Potter FanFic, and tried to turn that into a cult. Color me surprised that Andy Blake hasn't resurfaced to claim Harry Potter for himself.

It was Dumbledore's Army: Year Of Darkness, or DAYD.

by Anonymousreply 13September 16, 2020 9:16 AM

R12 is for r8.

It's typical of the trans cult not to actually read or listen to anything Rowling has said, but to immediately jump on her and try to destroy her at the slightest excuse.

by Anonymousreply 14September 16, 2020 9:19 AM

He's pretty much right with a lot of the offended. Not all, but a great many.

by Anonymousreply 15September 16, 2020 9:20 AM

[quote] Gay men aren't hanging around on Twitter waiting to be offended

Sure they are and they’re on here too.

by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2020 9:29 AM

Gays demanded Kevin Hart he fired from hosting an award ceremony.

by Anonymousreply 17September 16, 2020 9:29 AM

He's still upset from his spider Aragog dying

by Anonymousreply 18September 16, 2020 10:05 AM

Tranny alert at r16/r17.

by Anonymousreply 19September 16, 2020 10:55 AM

She was wrong for what she said but he was right when he said people are waiting to be offended.

Ironically I was watching Forensic Files at 2 this morning and one of the episodes I watched was about a woman who was murdered in her home by a man who was a cross dresser who only got caught because he used her hairbrush to brush the wig he wore when he left the house dressed as her in order to make people think she went missing in town.

by Anonymousreply 20September 16, 2020 12:06 PM

[quote]but the response would be different if he said gay men who bristle at "queer" or "faggot" are waiting to be offended.

Perhaps, but that's not even close to what he said, R1, and it's not in any sense comparable.

Russian and alt-right trolls are hard at work trying to make the culture war between trans and cis happen, by posing as both on Twitter, making inflammatory statements, and affecting rage. Don't feed it, folks.

by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2020 12:17 PM

[quote]Russian and alt-right trolls are hard at work trying to make the culture war between trans and cis happen,

R21 Yep, gotta be them Russkies and Trolls rilin' up the masses. Because by themselves, the masses are just too fuckin' dumb to realize that "trans" are men replicating the worst of socially-dictated female stereotypes and that "cis" is a pejorative and meaningless jargon.

by Anonymousreply 22September 16, 2020 12:28 PM

I have heard many people call Rowling transphobic or a TERF, but have yet to hear how a single thing she said was transphobic. Still waiting...

by Anonymousreply 23September 16, 2020 12:33 PM

[Quote] She was wrong for what she said

But she wasn't though.

by Anonymousreply 24September 16, 2020 12:41 PM

[quote]She was wrong for what she said

What was wrong with what she said?

by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2020 12:42 PM

[quote] Because by themselves, the masses are just too fuckin' dumb to realize that "trans" are men replicating the worst of socially-dictated female stereotypes

A better question would be: why would ostensibly gay men on a gay board care?

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2020 12:47 PM

[quote] Perhaps, but that's not even close to what he said, [R1], and it's not in any sense comparable.

Of course it is.

by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2020 12:57 PM

Rowling is way too obsessed with this topic and now she’s using us to defend it talking about her gay friend and how she’s also worried for the gay children. She inadvertently made a comment that could be interpreted that homosexuality could be cured. She’s a sick woman who needs mental help. It’s one thing to make your opinion known, it’s another when you’re obsessed with said opinion. Her crying with a bunch of other losers about their free speech being trampled upon when she sues anyone who says something against her is laughable. Look at that letter she signed, the one with the woman obsessed with Israel who demanded the firing of the professor who wasn’t pro-Zionism. These people don’t see the hypocrisy.

by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2020 1:00 PM

The problem is that JK has dug her heels in and deliberately fans the flames. She pretty much gives those who wait to be offended a dazzling show performance to be offended about with the release of her latest book. She's basically trolling them.

I love the Harry Potter books and movies, but I'm so over JK Rowling.

by Anonymousreply 29September 16, 2020 2:00 PM

[quote] She’s a sick woman who needs mental help.

How is she sick?

by Anonymousreply 30September 16, 2020 2:08 PM

Him sticking his fat ass in that debate is unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 31September 16, 2020 2:10 PM

"She inadvertently made a comment that could be interpreted that homosexuality could be cured."

No she didn't, you dirty liar.

by Anonymousreply 32September 16, 2020 2:10 PM

Serial killer pulls flowered dress and makeup kit out of the trailer closet? Well I just never.

by Anonymousreply 33September 16, 2020 2:18 PM

[quote]A better question would be: why would ostensibly gay men on a gay board care?

A far better question would be: why are gay men on a gay board supporting Iran-style attempts to annihilate gay men?

by Anonymousreply 34September 16, 2020 2:29 PM

[quote] A far better question would be: why are gay men on a gay board supporting Iran-style attempts to annihilate gay men?

We don’t. We oppose forced transition in Iran and support the brave women who chose to become their real selves in the thinking world.

by Anonymousreply 35September 16, 2020 2:37 PM

R35 what does that even mean? "Their real selves" -- the medical methods used are farthest thing from being ones "true self". Is insulting to call this charade "brave" and further insulting to call many of these aggressive, nasty, narcissistic, hetero men, "women" because they say it's so.

There's nothing brave for slinging insults, death threats, and rape threats, all because some people don't agree with a movement that has been hijacked by nutters.

Are there sane trans people? Yes, and I even feel sorry for them for what this movement has become. It's unfortunate they aren't louder than the nasty ones, pushing harmful medical treatments on minors, manipulating media, and insane legal changes.

by Anonymousreply 36September 16, 2020 3:00 PM

He can say what he likes r31, just as Radcliffe, etc. said what they liked, although in their case they just repeated what the commands they were given to learn off by heart. I doubt they've thought through the issues to any depth. E.g. when Radcliffe said "transwomen are women", I doubt he meant that he, as a straight man, would ever want to date a transwoman.

by Anonymousreply 37September 16, 2020 3:18 PM

As was mentioned on the other thread about this, he's doing that pathetic Boomer thing where he was born in 1950 but acts like he lived through WWII. He says people these days couldn't have survived the war but his cushioned ass couldn't have, either, and didn't, and he needs to stop pretending like he did just because he thinks it gives him some moral authority.

by Anonymousreply 38September 16, 2020 3:20 PM

Bravo! Time to stop bowing down to unhinged trannies who want the world to revolve around them!

by Anonymousreply 39September 16, 2020 3:22 PM

No one knew if Thanfiction really was a Prancing Pony R13, just that he was huge in the fandom around that time.

If you'd read Fandom Wank or other Journalfen groups you would have seen people claiming to have pretended to be people they weren't over here, just for the lulz.

by Anonymousreply 40September 16, 2020 3:25 PM

[quote] . Is insulting to call this charade "brave" and further insulting to call many of these aggressive, nasty, narcissistic, hetero men, "women" because they say it's s

It doesn’t insult me.

It does insult people who don’t like me — or other gay men — though; so I support it.

by Anonymousreply 41September 16, 2020 3:30 PM

[quote] ...professionals for containing scientific inaccuracies and perpetuating harmful beliefs about transgender people.

Bizarrely, stating that humans are sexually dimorphic and can't change sex is being spun as a "scientific inaccuracy" by this political movement so of course the author deliberately chooses not to elaborate exactly on what Rowling said that was unscientific.

[quote] Earlier this week, it was reported that Rowling's new novel, "Troubled Blood," centers on a cisgender male serial killer who fetishizes women's clothing — a decades-old transphobic trope — and that in one instance in Rowling's book, the killer disguises himself as a woman to trick a female victim.

Except men HAVE been dressing as women as a fetish to prey on women and children for centuries-- which I don't connect with being trans at all. It's a pathological criminal problem. Exploiting these types of crimes though IS harmful to the trans community in the same way as if you only saw documentaries and movies about Jeffrey Dahmer or gay date rapists

Still, I support Rowling if only for the fact that her only true crime to start with was DARING to say that males and females are not biologically or socially the same. It's all about male chauvinism. A man, particularly a white man, has an unquestionable right to choose his own adventure and destiny. As a gay man I know exactly 0% of gay men recognize women on testerone as being male/men, but they're humored so the men can get their way even if it's total nonsense that impacts women in sports and political representation.

by Anonymousreply 42September 16, 2020 3:44 PM

Bwahahaha

Good one r35

by Anonymousreply 43September 16, 2020 4:00 PM

As was mentioned on the other thread r38, a trans cultist was predictably trying to twist Coltrane's words to try to claim that Coltrane had said he had lived through the war, when Coltrane had said no such thing. That's typical of trans cultists, though, to lie about what someone actually said.

by Anonymousreply 44September 16, 2020 4:00 PM

R42, before making assumptions about what's in Rowling's book, at least read it. It's been made quite clear that the Torygraphy (which hates Rowling for being a lefty) was deliberately posting clickbait.

I mean, I know the Torygraph is a shit paper, but do you think that even they would publish a review with a huge spoiler revealing who the killer is?

by Anonymousreply 45September 16, 2020 4:03 PM

R45 I'm not reading the book. Rowling is a shit author when she writes for adults. Her debut novel wasn't worth the kindle fee. I'm comfortable making the informed assumption that what she has written is neither hate speech nor worthwhile literature.

by Anonymousreply 46September 16, 2020 4:09 PM

[quote] This is a huge ok boomer

Which is pretty much proof positive that ok boomer is 125% a troll move.

by Anonymousreply 47September 16, 2020 4:11 PM

So I recently saw on another one of those twitter shitfests that “boomer” isn’t just a reference to a generation, it’s a mindset that can be “passed down.”

So even if you’re gen z but don’t buy into the trans focus of all human events that has apparently become mandatory, guess what? You’re a boomer. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 48September 16, 2020 5:22 PM

[quote] So I recently saw on another one of those twitter shitfests that “boomer” isn’t just a reference to a generation, it’s a mindset that can be “passed down.”

I think what they are saying - that is, what their "true selves" are saying - is that common sense and wisdom can be passed down. Phew! I really thought some of these young 'uns were immune from catching it.

by Anonymousreply 49September 16, 2020 5:36 PM

R42, nothing in your post negates the fact that your assumptions about contents of the book appear to be completely wrong.

Which great literature do you read, then?

by Anonymousreply 50September 16, 2020 5:55 PM

R8 - so wait, a cross dresser is the same as a transexual? I didn't think that was true.

by Anonymousreply 51September 16, 2020 6:07 PM

People have blown this so much out of proportion. "She said something I didn't like. SHE MUST BE CANCELLED."

by Anonymousreply 52September 16, 2020 6:10 PM

[quote]So even if you’re gen z but don’t buy into the trans focus of all human events that has apparently become mandatory, guess what? You’re a boomer. Lol.

Coltrane was born in 1950 and is very literally a Boomer.

Anyone who lives in the UK knows that there has been a swarm of Boomer politicians and celebs using "we lived through the war and you kids these days need to toughen up" rhetoric, which is hilarious because they were born after the war. It started with Brexit propaganda and has now become part of the rightwing lexicon, plus you see it in Covid get-back-to-work propaganda as well.

by Anonymousreply 53September 16, 2020 6:18 PM

[quote] for containing scientific inaccuracies and perpetuating harmful beliefs about transgender people.

Like the superstitious belief in X and Y chromosomes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 16, 2020 7:55 PM

Even if she did write a book where a transgender woman commits murder, so fucking what? Transgenders commit murders, men commit murders, women commit murders.

by Anonymousreply 55September 16, 2020 9:02 PM

Chromosomes must be cancelled r54 !

by Anonymousreply 56September 16, 2020 9:24 PM

You... must... love... meeeeeeee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57September 16, 2020 9:25 PM

We need to gently cure people of gender dysphoria. Sorry but just cause you think you’re a unicorn doesn’t make you one. And stop bullying people who won’t play along with your delusion.

by Anonymousreply 58September 16, 2020 9:33 PM

What do you call the FTM surgery?

An add-a-dictomy.

by Anonymousreply 59September 16, 2020 9:36 PM

I should not have said that!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 16, 2020 9:48 PM

Has anyone actually read the book yet? I saw an excerpt on Twitter and and it left me a bit.... underwhelmed.

by Anonymousreply 61September 16, 2020 9:55 PM

She's right about transgenders but she's a lackluster writer. Potter was her best work

by Anonymousreply 62September 16, 2020 11:08 PM

It makes me sad seeing how angry this conversation is. I don't know why I'm getting involved, but maybe others might agree with how I feel, because I don't identify with most other responses here.

I consider myself a trans ally, and really believe people should be able to live how they want, provided they aren't hurting anyone.

I find it fascinating - disheartening, yet fascinating, how these weird conspiracy theories about a "trans agenda" are being promoted by the very people who have had accusations of a nonsensical "gay agenda" similarly thrown at them. It seems very: "I'm alright Jack, pull up the ladder" to me.

I also think Coltrane is right; that there are many people nowadays who do hang around waiting to be offended. Too many people don't read any more than a headline before going off on one, or even, in fact, read the headline. They just hear something that fits into the victim narrative and start reveling in their own righteousness. I think this whole thing would've gone so much better if some people had reached out to Rowling in the beginning for a discussion, where they could state their feelings on what she was saying, and also LISTEN to what she is saying too. This worked very well when those girls approached Emma Thompson about her signing the Free Roman Polanski petition, and Thompson ended up removing her name from the petition. It's no good refuting a person's position on something they may not have said or meant, that just angers people.

Everyone seems to know everything these days without doing any research, and feel like they don't have to understand others because they just "know" and "feel". And all these attacks are putting everyone's defenses up, rather than facilitating any sort of conversation.

Anyway, I'm an idealist, I know, I know. These are my thoughts, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 63September 16, 2020 11:24 PM

Isn’t it amazing that arguably the most famous author in the last 100 years can get “canceled” for expressing views that most people share with her? Hagrid has always been the most loyal friend, none so more than now. What a hero for standing up for JK in a most trying time. I stand with JK Rowling. The tranny mob will not win. Twitter is NOT real life. I bought her book.

by Anonymousreply 64September 17, 2020 3:07 AM

R64 Would you mind sharing a snippet from her book that is especially good? I’m curious what it is about her writing that connects with you as an adult reader.

by Anonymousreply 65September 17, 2020 3:50 AM

The trolls here defend her even though she retweets stuff from people who support ex-gay therapy

You'll do anything to trash tans people, even siding with people who hate gays

by Anonymousreply 66September 17, 2020 3:53 AM

I'm not bothered by the MTF transsexuals. It's the FTM ones that weird me out a little. I'm still trying to learn to be accepting of both and to stop using the word "tranny."

by Anonymousreply 67September 17, 2020 4:13 AM

Women have vaginas. If you don’t have one you are NOT a woman. An open surgical wound doesn’t count

by Anonymousreply 68September 17, 2020 4:39 AM

[quote]One of the notorious DL Prancing Ponies was a crazy Tolkien internet cult leader FTM

Please tell me more about this! I always avoided the Ponies threads but if there’s a cult involved I’m sorry I missed it.

by Anonymousreply 69September 17, 2020 1:03 PM

The thing to remember is that there is a difference between people with a genuine dysphoria and theories such as "gender identity" and "queer theory/studies".

Some people just do not feel right in their own bodies and believe that living as the opposite sex will help to alleviate some of their issues. Those people should be supported. Gender identity and queer theories, however, try to deny the validity/existence of biological sex and claim that gender (not sex, which they ignore) is nothing to do with the body but is simply an identity. So, there is no difference between a "cis" woman and a transwoman and any allusions to the very real differences that do exist drive the trans ideologists crazy. Hence, diktats such as "transwomen are women" and even in instances where the physical body very much matters - such as sport - transwomen must be considered the same as bio women. Biological men must be allowed to compete in women's sports and banning this is transphobic.

According to gender identity ideology, it is not permissible to say basic and indisputable facts such as "women menstruate" because for gender identity ideology not only is being a woman completely unrelated to the physiology of the body and things like having a uterus and a vagina, but even if you have those body parts you are not a women - some men also have vaginas apparently. Hence, saying "women who menstruate" is transphobic and only the phrase "people who menstruate" is permissible - because men also menstruate!

Consider the phrase "gender assigned at birth". If we were to take trans demands to their full extent, it would not be permissible to consider babies and children as boys or girls according to their physical sex - they would all have to be brought up gender-neutral until they reached the age where they can decide for themselves whether they want to be boys or girls (except for all those trans toddlers of course, who from the age of 2 have apparently being indicating that they just know that they are a girl even if they have a willy).

Similarly for us gays, since the concept of biological sex is now forbidden, we are not allowed to say we are attracted to our own sex, because that is transphobic. Instead, we are only permitted to say we are attracted to our own gender - and our own gender could include people who are not the same biological sex as us. So, if you are a lesbian, you have to be willing to have sex with people with penises who identify as lesbian otherwise you are transphobic.

Those of us who have problems with trans ideology are not against people who genuinely feel wrong in their bodies. What we have a problem with is these theories of gender that deny the reality of biological sex.

by Anonymousreply 70September 18, 2020 1:01 PM

Stop lying, r66. Rowling has been attacked by people like you for speaking out in favour of same-sex attraction. In the 2000s the right attacked Rowling for supporting same-sex love; today the left is attacking her for supporting same-sex love!

by Anonymousreply 71September 18, 2020 1:02 PM

^^There are few LGB characters in her books, but JK certainly supports Rowling-on-Rowling love. So in that regard, she IS a staunch defender of same-sex attraction.

by Anonymousreply 72September 18, 2020 6:14 PM

You can identify as Napoleon but that doesn't mean you are entitled to coerce others into letting you command the armies of France

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 18, 2020 6:32 PM

[quote]today the left is attacking her for supporting same-sex love!

R71, that bullshit is conducted purely online, and it begins and ends with the paid trolls, not with the actual 'left', save for the few lost souls they've persuaded to go along with it. There's always a few.

by Anonymousreply 74September 19, 2020 4:17 PM

Don't be such a buffoon, r8. Cross-dressing serial killers *do* exist you know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 19, 2020 4:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!