Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Italian granny makes fresh pasta

Doesn't this look good?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 20, 2020 12:56 AM

Yes. I’ll take a socially distanced plate, please.

by Anonymousreply 1September 16, 2020 12:56 AM

Fat whores rejoice!

by Anonymousreply 2September 16, 2020 12:57 AM

Too much work.

by Anonymousreply 3September 16, 2020 1:12 AM

Sparkling water was an interesting choice.

by Anonymousreply 4September 16, 2020 1:19 AM

OP, I enjoyed that. Those old nonne sure have patience.

by Anonymousreply 5September 16, 2020 1:58 AM

The egg yolks in Italy are so yellow -- gives the pasta that nice color. It's hard to find store-bought eggs with that bright yellow color here in the States.

by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2020 2:04 AM

Beautiful clip. That dish looks delicious and simple. I would eat that with pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2020 2:06 AM

There is a foundation in italy to pay some of these grannies to preserve the cultural heritage of the various pasta types from dying out

by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2020 2:10 AM

I watched an episode of Giada where she had her Italian aunt on zoom from Italy making pasta. The aunt’s looked much better and she would make snarky comments about Giadas methods

by Anonymousreply 9September 16, 2020 2:11 AM

R9, that reminds me of the clip of Marcella Hazan being bossy to Martha Stewart on Martha's own show during a cooking segment, lol.

by Anonymousreply 10September 16, 2020 2:24 AM

That looks damn good.

by Anonymousreply 11September 16, 2020 2:57 AM

I really enjoyed that. Other than that comb she used to help form the pasta, everything seemed so logical and accessible. She used an electric chopper for the onions and tomatoes, and the whole pasta draining issue was made obvious.

by Anonymousreply 12September 16, 2020 3:40 AM

And that's the serving size that one person would receive in a restaurant in Italy, as one of the multiple entrees comprising the dinner. European Italians would fall over if they saw the Osmond Family-sized single servings on buffet plates served to individual customers in Italian restaurants here in the States.

by Anonymousreply 13September 16, 2020 3:56 AM

[quote] There is a foundation in italy to pay some of these grannies to preserve the cultural heritage of the various pasta types from dying out

That's good news. After some of the older ladies of this generation pass on, I just don't know how many people are going to carry on some of the time-consuming traditions like rolling each individual single bit of pasta by hand.

by Anonymousreply 14September 16, 2020 5:10 AM

What's the purpose of the sparkling water?

by Anonymousreply 15September 16, 2020 5:25 AM

r15, to sparkle, Rose

by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2020 6:04 AM

That youtube channel has a bunch of different pasta grannies. Here's a 93 year old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 16, 2020 6:46 AM

r6 It'll cost you about double the price of a standard dozen, but Trader Joe's brown, cage-free and increased Omega-3 large eggs have the yellowest yolks I've ever used.

I've enjoyed the "Pasta Grannies" series since I first saw it It seems the further you get away from Rome, the more unusual the pasta types become. Case in point: the "God's Handkerchiefs" from Sardinia, IIRC? Those old babes are really committed to carrying on family and regional traditions, my hat is off to them.

I'm aware of the distinct absence or minimal use of garlic in most of the sauces that are made, my own grandmother would have wholeheartedly approved. I, OTOH, am a fan of the 'stinking rose.'

Did anyone see that clever granny who had slots below her kitchen tabletop to store her board and rolling pin? Or the one who stands on a little raised platform for better leverage and pressure when making pasta? Brava Nonne!

r8 Analogous to the organization that gives stipends to "The Living Treasures of Japan," I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 18September 16, 2020 7:20 AM

Simplified.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 16, 2020 8:49 AM

Been there, done that

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 16, 2020 1:37 PM

R18, thanks for the tip about the Trader Joes eggs! I will have to buy some next time I'm there.

by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2020 5:27 PM

She's no great shakes!

by Anonymousreply 22September 16, 2020 6:18 PM

Making lasagna.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 16, 2020 9:28 PM

That was torture watching that lasagna video r23. I made a very similar dish using eggplant *moussaka" a few years ago. It was basically lasagna but with eggplant. It seemed like it took forever, and was so much work. It looked great and tasted great but I knew there and then NEVER AGAIN. That was back in 1994 and I haven't tried it since.

by Anonymousreply 24September 16, 2020 9:49 PM

[quote] Trader Joe's brown, cage-free and increased Omega-3 large eggs

Who do I contact to get paid for making statements like this?

by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2020 11:36 PM

*references

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2020 11:36 PM

[quote] that reminds me of the clip of Marcella Hazan being bossy to Martha Stewart on Martha's own show during a cooking segment, lol.

Yeah, turn-about is fair play. That reminds me of the time that Martha was a guest of Julia Child. She was there to demonstrate how to make a holiday croquembouche. They each assembled the cream puffs Into towers, and when Julia was done Martha looked at the finished product and condescendingly commented, “Well, we’ll just say that yours is the [italic] [bold] country [/italic] [/bold] version.”

Such a little bitch. (And I love Martha.).

by Anonymousreply 27September 17, 2020 12:05 AM

R27, that's funny about the croquembouche. I like Martha, too -- it was just funny seeing her defer to a guest on her show, which is not something I'd ever seen before and probably not something she's used to. The clip used to be on Youtube, but I couldn't find it.

by Anonymousreply 28September 17, 2020 12:19 AM

That lasagna looks delicious. I thought it was interesting that she pulled out the garlic in the end. I don’t eat garlic but I would eat that lasagna. These clips are so much fun to watch. I love the concept. It’s like a form of oral history.

by Anonymousreply 29September 17, 2020 1:04 AM

I want some of that pasta.

by Anonymousreply 30September 20, 2020 12:48 AM

That Martha and Marcella episode was the best. It was as if Hazan had no idea of who Martha Stewart was nor did she care. She acted as if Martha was just in the way. It was the only time I have ever seen Martha humbled by someone.

by Anonymousreply 31September 20, 2020 12:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!