Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Everybody Loves revisited

I sometimes keep my tv on in the background for noise. I had it on TVLand and this came on. When I first saw it during its original run I thought the wife was a shrill cunt, but now I see Raymond as an infantile, helpless Debbie Downer. In one episode, she's on the phone and he comes in interrupting her about his newspaper "where's my newspaper"? over and over again like a kid. Uh, go look for it asshole. In another episode, they get a free trip to Italy and he moans about how he hates being out of his comfort zone and foreign countries and spends almost the entire time bitching and moaning.

I sympathize with her character more now even though I know she's a deplorable cunt in real life.

by Anonymousreply 59September 17, 2020 3:33 AM

LOL...forgot Raymond in the title.

by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2020 8:20 PM

I used to work in a hospital in 2005.One of the tv channels used to air Ray's show at 7 pm and 7:30 pm. Just about every room watched the show and the entire floor of patients would be laughing for the entire hour

by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2020 9:35 PM

For some reason old people really liked that show. One episode that really was funny was when Robert brings a girl to dinner and somehow it comes up that she likes frogs and Raymond sees her eat a fly. No one else sees it though and thinks he's lying because he can't stand seeing Robert happy with a girl. Robert ends up running from her apartment.

by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2020 9:44 PM

For some reason old people really liked that show. One episode that really was funny was when Robert brings a girl to dinner and somehow it comes up that she likes frogs and Raymond sees her eat a fly. No one else sees it though and thinks he's lying because he can't stand seeing Robert happy with a girl. Robert ends up running from her apartment.

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2020 9:44 PM

I always imagined that Raymond was hung like a horse.

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2020 9:47 PM

r5: No, you're thinking of Doris Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2020 10:17 PM

I think its a successful show because it shows that everybody is human and is guilty of doing stupid shit. Even the women made mistakes.

Too many other sitcoms run out of steam because they push the feminist agenda that the husband is completely stupid while the wife is perfect.

by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2020 10:19 PM

The weird thing about that show was most of the time it was super annoying and repetitive, and yet somehow every once in a while they would do something unexpected and just hit it out of the ballpark.

The episode where one of the little twins writes a story for school called "The Angry Family," and then the priest in charge of his Catholic school has him read it out loud to his family is still one of the best episodes of any sitcom I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 8September 15, 2020 10:24 PM

I couldn’t watch this show, or The King of Queens, because of all the yelling. That’s not entertaining to me.

by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2020 10:33 PM

Agreed, R9. Reminds me of all those screaming preachers my Dad and sister love listening to, like TD James and RW Shambach.

Screamers of any kind send me into turtle mode.

by Anonymousreply 10September 15, 2020 10:37 PM

I know it was never hip, but I loved this show. I also loved Mad About You.

by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2020 10:39 PM

One of my favorite Raymond episodes is where Ray and Debra come home from a long weekend together and leave a suit case at the bottom of the stairs. it stays there for like a month. Both of their passive aggressive behaviors are typical of so many couples, gay or straight.

by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2020 10:48 PM

Remember the vagina sculpture?

by Anonymousreply 13September 15, 2020 10:54 PM

Marie Barone was everything.

by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2020 11:10 PM

One of the funniest scenes was when Ray and Debra imitated Marie and Frank during some party, but did so in a funny, inoffensive way to honor them.

And then this happened:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2020 11:15 PM

The Halloween episode where Peter Boyle enters in a Frankenstein costume was fucking hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2020 11:37 PM

Why didn't Debra just insist they had to move to a different suburb? I could never figure that out.

by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2020 11:44 PM

I really preferred Debra’s parents and especially the parents of Robert’s wife, who were supposed to be very goody-goody, but were actually total weirdos...

by Anonymousreply 18September 15, 2020 11:48 PM

I really liked the episode "Lucky Suit", where Marie "accidentally" ruins Robert's chances for a job at the FBI. Doris Roberts showed great dramatic chops for a few minutes there.

I guess my favorite moment was when Robert's first wife called Marie a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 19September 15, 2020 11:55 PM

I didn’t like the way everyone yelled and was so mean to each other. They all hated each other!

And the stupid kids.

by Anonymousreply 20September 16, 2020 12:08 AM

When it comes to those lowbrow family dynamics sitcoms, I always vastly preferred "King of Queens". Leah Remini was great as the bossy, shrill wife and Kevin James was much more likeable as a doofus constantly trying to avoid her domineering ways than Ray Romano. And a big plus: they didn't have children.

by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2020 12:15 AM

[quote]Why didn't Debra just insist they had to move to a different suburb? I could never figure that out.

What an absolutely absurd question. If Raymond's annoying parents didn't live across the street from Debra and Raymond, WTF would have been the point of the series?!

That was the main premise of the show, the super annoying parents always busy-bodying and trying to micro-manage their lives.

by Anonymousreply 22September 16, 2020 12:19 AM

The storyline, when Raymond's cop brother got gored by the bull, was based on a real story about a Mexican rodeo's bull getting loose in Long Island City Queens!

Unfortunately, the bull was shot. Because that's what cops do, shoot first. I'm sure the rodeo's owner was upset that animal control wasn't called and that his bull couldn't be saved.

One of my friends actually saw the bull run down his street!

by Anonymousreply 23September 16, 2020 12:27 AM

"And the stupid kids."

This is one family sitcom where the children played very minor roles. A couple of episodes might have had the kids as central to a plot, but most of the time they were more like talking props.

There's no more tired a sitcom than 8 year old kids making wise cracks like they're Shecky Greene or Pat Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 24September 16, 2020 12:28 AM

The point is they needed to explain WHY Ray and Debra never moved. In real life you'd think someone was an idiot for putting up with all that.

by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2020 12:31 AM

[quote] This is one family sitcom where the children played very minor roles.

The original opening to the show showed Ray Romano stepping out of character and explaining that though you'd occasionally see the kids, the show wasn't really about them.

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2020 12:33 AM

Awful late '90s / early '00s TV.

by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2020 12:38 AM

I remember being confused because they had Kevin James playing a different character on Everybody before King Of Queens. And then they had a couple of crossovers.

I think Ray also shows up on The Nanny in one of the earlier seasons.

by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2020 3:53 AM

Yes R28, he and Fran went to highschool together, in real life and in TV land.

by Anonymousreply 29September 16, 2020 3:58 AM

Ray and Frank also showed up on 'Cosby' once. Frank and Cosby's character were old HS classmates.

by Anonymousreply 30September 16, 2020 3:59 AM

This was a funny show. A lot of people in NY and NJ live close to their parents (not across the street though).

I've been working from home since April. I started watching The King of Queens (it's on ALL the time). It's not a bad show either. It's something to listen to while I"m working

by Anonymousreply 31September 16, 2020 4:09 AM

Much better than any of today's comedies. Very relatable. King of Queens, too. Arthur Spooner lol. The Arthur screwdriver. "You put the screwdriver in the corresponding A hole" Funny as ....

by Anonymousreply 32September 16, 2020 4:18 AM

by Anonymousreply 33September 16, 2020 4:21 AM

This show is a perfect show for background noise. I don't find it that funny most of the time but once in a while there is a great line or joke that hits it out of the ballpark. This was a pretty dark if you think about it, everyone argued and were miserable but that is what makes it relatable for better or worse. I do like that the kids were never made the focus of the show. Brad Garrett was in some other sitcom after called Til' Death.

by Anonymousreply 34September 16, 2020 12:39 PM

Robert could be such a bastardo

by Anonymousreply 35September 16, 2020 12:48 PM

It’s a deceptively subversive show and a lot of episodes were surprisingly dark (although you kind of have to make an effort/be a regular watcher to see why). And sometimes they really did hit it out of the ballpark as many have said above.

Marie and Frank were everything. And Ray as it turns out wasn’t a bad actor (certainly compared to Jerry Seinfeld). Also, THAT’s how you do a retrospective/clip show.

by Anonymousreply 36September 16, 2020 12:55 PM

One of the show's inconsistencies involved Robert, an NYC cop. The Barone clan lived in Lynbrook, Nassau County, Long Island. A couple of times Robert was patrolling the neighborhood. Why is an NYC cop patrolling in Nassau County?

by Anonymousreply 37September 16, 2020 1:04 PM

I find it interesting how Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens, Rules of Engagement, Reba, Spin City, Yes Dear and Still Standing were pretty popular when aired but now are kinda forgotten or at least not talked about as much. You see a lot of nostalgia for Friends, Seinfeld, Full House, The Nanny and The Office. Everbody Loves Raymond was in syndication for a long time and I remember it being on TBS all the time along with Seinfeld and Friends.

by Anonymousreply 38September 16, 2020 1:07 PM

R38, Raymond is currently still on TBS, weekday mornings 6:30-8:00, and weekday evenings on TVLand from 8:00 to 11:00. And King of Queens follows Raymond on TVLand from 11:00 to 1:00AM.

by Anonymousreply 39September 16, 2020 1:14 PM

ELR is on ALL the time in syndication. You literally cannot get away from it. What mystifies me is how Frasier (which used to be on constantly) has disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 40September 16, 2020 1:18 PM

Frasier and Friends are in constant reruns here, in Canada. More so than any other sitcoms. The other ones seem to come and go, including Seinfeld, but these two are permanent fixtures.

by Anonymousreply 41September 16, 2020 1:59 PM

I don't think Becker gets much love these days either.

by Anonymousreply 42September 16, 2020 2:50 PM

Frasier airs on Hallmark as far as I know. Hallmark tends to get rid of all its syndicated shows to air Christmas, Valentine's Day, Thanksgiving, Halloween and Christmas in July movies all day. Also Hallmark has a reputation for censoring it's syndicated repeats or cutting out parts of episodes for commercial time.

by Anonymousreply 43September 16, 2020 3:38 PM

I loved Frasier and Seinfeld and I grew to appreciate Everybody Loves Raymond as I have aged. I never liked Friends and it blows my mind how it seems to have gotten even more popular this last decade due to streaming. Two and a Half Men was only decent in the early seasons but it started going downhill way before Ashton Kutcher even joined. I don't get the love for Big Bang Theory at all and it blew my mind also that it was on for 12 years.

by Anonymousreply 44September 16, 2020 3:46 PM

by Anonymousreply 45September 16, 2020 5:46 PM

Ray Romano is funny and talented but I hated this show so much. It offended me that such a good cast worked on such a godawful show.

Deborah was as bitchy on the show as she is in real life.

by Anonymousreply 46September 16, 2020 11:46 PM

R46 That's how I feel. The cast was talented but the writing was so repetitive on par with Home Improvement. Couple has a misunderstanding, meddling in-laws, whiny jealous older brother, problem with the kids, rinse and repeat. Great as a show for background and once in a while, it gets one great line here and there.

by Anonymousreply 47September 16, 2020 11:52 PM

Why do people watch "Friends"? It's sad if people think that garbage reflects their own lives. Snore.

by Anonymousreply 48September 16, 2020 11:56 PM

"Also Hallmark has a reputation for censoring it's syndicated repeats or cutting out parts of episodes for commercial time."

Logo is notorious for butchering episodes of Married With Children. They either cut out punch lines entirely or break for a commercial just as a punch line is going to be delivered.

by Anonymousreply 49September 17, 2020 12:01 AM

It's funny, I'm black and I really don't know any other black people who like Friends except one of my friends who is an African immigrant. A lot of foreigners like Indians and Chinese really love Friends because it helped them learn English and is one of the most widely distributed American sitcoms. A lot of countries didn't get television and especially US TV until the 1980s and 1990s, so Friends had that nostalgic factor for them.

As for young Westerners, I guess because it's a wish fulfillment show like a soap opera. Most of the people I know who are fans of women, both young and old. The female cast members are pretty with nice hair and fashion and the guys are pretty handsome too. Romantic misunderstandings and antics. It's like some 1950s romanticized version of NYC. Younger people from Middle America who have a superficial view of NYC and want to also see the "90s" will watch Friends.

by Anonymousreply 50September 17, 2020 12:04 AM

R47, couldn't disagree more. Thought the show was great, and the actors had a real feel for the characters. Loved the use of the recurring characters (Deborah's parents, later Amy's parents, Andy, Gianni, Stefania), but the core group had the dynamics of a dysfunctional family down to a science , especially guilt!

by Anonymousreply 51September 17, 2020 12:05 AM

The show feels timeless to me, like it could have been made or watched in any decade. That’s the sign of a classic.

by Anonymousreply 52September 17, 2020 12:09 AM

by Anonymousreply 53September 17, 2020 2:33 AM

R53 Sabrina was definitely one of the better TGIF shows which is why it moved to The WB. Though the aunts and Salem carried it the most.

by Anonymousreply 54September 17, 2020 2:36 AM

It's a perfect rendition of Long Island. For a brief moment Ray Romano is also the Long Island Italian American DILF.

by Anonymousreply 55September 17, 2020 3:09 AM

[Quote] Though the aunts and Salem carried it the most.

I underestimated the Salem fans when the Sabrina reboot was announced. Sucks that the actress is allergic to cats.

by Anonymousreply 56September 17, 2020 3:21 AM

Sabrina is now on Antenna TV. I also just watched a 10-year-old Melissa Joan Hart on a 1985 episode of The Equalizer. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 57September 17, 2020 3:24 AM

Marie reminds me of my Italian grandma in so many ways... mostly the manipulation and guilt tripping.

by Anonymousreply 58September 17, 2020 3:32 AM

I like this show but it does get it annoying at times and repetitive. Like all long-running sitcoms do. The characters are funny and miserable. They annoy at times but they remind you of people you know. It is very NY/NJ.

by Anonymousreply 59September 17, 2020 3:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!