Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Dishwasher Thread Version 2020

Let's talk dishwashers. Are they better than ever? Have you ever used the Pots and Pans setting (I haven't). Do you pre-rinse before loading? Why are they so much slower than they used to be?

by Anonymousreply 13September 16, 2020 2:23 PM

Dishwashers are great for cooking perfect salmon.

by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2020 6:50 PM

Don't buy a Samsung. The house we bought in December came with a one year old Samsung, which developed a leak which needed to be fix. A couple places I called said they just don't work on Samsungs, and they guy who finally came said they are horrible to work on and it would cost $400 to fix. I decided to just replace it as that is more than half what it is worth. Ordered a Bosch and then they called and pushed the delivery back by a month, so cancelled that and went with a KitchenAid. So far so good, but we've only had it 3 days. Seems to work well and is quiet enough.

by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2020 6:56 PM

A setting for single people...a cup, a saucer, plate and a couple of glasses....1 hour?

by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2020 7:00 PM

I was cleaning mine, and I think I might have broken it beyond fixing, anyway, I’d like to get a new one that matches the rest of the kitchen. When I bought my old one, I gave no thought to it matching things, so I just bought “black”. My kitchen was white-ish. Now it’s that beige color and I know that’s outdated, but I’d like to stick with it.

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2020 7:34 PM

[quote]Why are they so much slower than they used to be?

Just like with front-loading, more efficient washers, they use a lot less water, and keep recirculating it until the dishes are clean. They have sensors to determine how dirty the dishes are.

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2020 7:55 PM

I used to practically hand wash my dishes before putting them in the dishwasher but then I read about how the dishwasher does a better job if you don't preclean but when I do that I almost always find at least a couple of utensils with crud on them.

by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2020 12:46 AM

If you hand wash your dishes in the sink and don't need rubber gloves the water isn't hot enough to sanitize.

by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2020 12:48 AM

Liked my Bosch and reliable for 5 years now.

by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2020 2:06 AM

r6 You either need a better dishwasher or better detergent (or you're not loading things correctly.)

by Anonymousreply 9September 16, 2020 2:09 AM

I have a Kitchen Aid from 2012 that runs exceptionally well and is reliable. Only once in a while do I have to scrape some food off after it’s been through the dishwasher. The ProScrub option works wonders.

by Anonymousreply 10September 16, 2020 2:11 AM

I have a new, but bottom of the line apartment special dishwasher that barely cleans the dishes. Top rack - forget it. And yes, crud left on everything. I'm in a lower tier Gables cash cow complex and they regulate water pressure among other devious things.

by Anonymousreply 11September 16, 2020 2:15 AM

One cycle on mine is 7 hours. I sometimes run it overnight and the dishes are still warm in the morning.

It’s a GE Profile unit and does a good job, but the cutler rack on the door is a pain because you have to move the bottom rack in and out to load knives, forks and spoons on the rack that slides onto the inner service of the door. So I bought a commercial grade silverware basket on amazon and just set it into the bottom rack, instead of moving the lower rack out of the way to load knives and spoons on the inside of the door. I use the cascade platinum detergent, sometimes two pods if it’s a big load of dishes. All my kitchen things are really well made and come out like new (high chrome stainless, German porcelain, English creamware, things like that)

by Anonymousreply 12September 16, 2020 2:31 AM

Does anyone else find the differences among the different pellets and pods to be confusing?

by Anonymousreply 13September 16, 2020 2:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!