Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What harm has being in the closet inflicted upon society.

Like, if Koch had been out, would the response to the HIV crisis in NYC have been different?

Other instances?

by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2020 7:01 PM

I think it just spreads the awareness that we (gays) are not some rare, oddity. We are walking around, working, paying taxes, etc. When I saw good people who were out and gay, it gave me a sense of 'normalcy' that maybe I hadn't felt as a young teen.

by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2020 6:45 PM

Koch's self-hatred emerged well before he was Mayor. When he was a member of the City Council in the 60s, he advocated in favor of police entrapment of homosexuals. When Mayor John Lindsay put a stop to that (this is before the Stonewall riots), Koch was apoplectic.

Had Koch been out, he would never have been elected Mayor. As it is, he insisted he was heterosexual as he got older, so he died deep in the closet.

by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2020 6:56 PM

It really harmed Richard Simmons. He was always so butch and desperate to be seen with all the hot ladies.

by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2020 7:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!