Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why Are We So Fat?

I think it’s mostly corn syrup, maybe 60%. Then inectivity from TV/computers.

I read, but can not verify, that we started with the corn syrup when we embargoed Cuban sugar. Now, because Iowa is a big corn state and important politically, we’ll never quit it . It’s in gas, too.

Maybe They should experiment by putting half the country back on real sugar, and see if they lose weight relative to the corn syrup folks.

by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2020 12:26 PM

what do you mean 'we,' white man?

by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2020 6:20 AM

Vance-sized portions 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2020 6:21 AM

I think soft drinks, excessive use of cars instead of walking, and, in the South, the weather which makes outdoor physical activities near impossible for much of the year. There's a reason the fat Southerner stereotype existed decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2020 6:25 AM

U.S. food policy. We only got so fat once the USDA got dominated by agribusiness.

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2020 6:31 AM

Genius meet Genius

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2020 6:33 AM

Too much sugar and fat.

Portions that would feed a family of four in most of the world.

Too little exercise.

by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2020 6:42 AM

When Americans come to Switzerland for a job they lose 15 pounds the first year without trying.

by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2020 7:36 AM

Biggest culprit by far portion size, then sedentary lifestyle. It also coincides with when we stopped smoking as a society, but we can’t go back to that.

by Anonymousreply 8September 15, 2020 8:04 AM

The USA pumps hormones and antibiotics into animals for slaughter plus most foods are GMO. Europe does none of these things.

by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2020 8:27 AM

Genetics, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 10September 15, 2020 8:31 AM

You are what you eat. And American fattards mostly don't drink lotsa water. But when they drink water, it almost always comes out of tap without filtering.

by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2020 8:41 AM

Here's your answer OP.

The 3-part BBC documentary series; "The Men Who Made Us Fat" presented by Jacques Peretti. The 3 hour series was made about both the British and US populations.

It contains a plethora of eye opening information and is definitely worth a watch.

You can watch it for free on Daily Motion. Part 1 at the link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2020 8:41 AM

"The Men Who Made Us Fat" Part 2:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 15, 2020 8:43 AM

"The Men Who Made Us Fat" Part 3:

Enjoy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2020 8:44 AM

OP is fat!

Mosquitoes see him and scream, "Buffet!"

He drinks "Pepsi Heavy!"

He's the only one who'll stand in front of a microwave oven and yell, "Hurry!"

by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2020 10:02 AM

In addition to the portion size, I'm pretty sure all the hidden sugar and crap in our processed food has something to do with it.

But what do I know? I managed to move overseas and STILL gain weight.

by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2020 10:13 AM

OP is a Fat Whore and he's not rejoicing.

by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2020 10:17 AM

It's the pandemic, silly.

by Anonymousreply 18September 15, 2020 10:37 AM

The US is the most capitalistic society in the world. Everything comes down to money. Health problems occur often with ongoing obesity. Every program watched on television has more than one commercial break showcasing FOOD, fast or otherwise. There is a great deal of money to be made via disease in this country. The entire system - and not just having to do with obesity - is rigged, one aspect feeding into the next. This is a money nation.

by Anonymousreply 19September 15, 2020 12:53 PM

I also miss the Vivian Vance option.

by Anonymousreply 20September 15, 2020 1:00 PM

Eating too much and not moving enough. Portion sizes suitable for a labourer when they are sitting in front of a screen all day

Not from the US but there's plenty of fat fucks here too

I eat plenty of stuff with corn sugars in it but I exercise a hour or two every day. Thats what makes the difference., that and not eating for four as R6 says

by Anonymousreply 21September 15, 2020 2:45 PM

Glandular issues

by Anonymousreply 22September 15, 2020 3:12 PM

US food contains a lot of artificial additives banned in Europe and even in the 2nd and 3rd Worlds. Wonder why?

In many cities those who walk everywhere rather than drive are looked down upon as poor. Outside of those areas where there's an emphasis on the highly visual entertainment industry regular exercise isn't the norm. Many brag about going to the gym for just one hour, 3 times a week.

People prefer going to bars rather than to the tennis court. Or they consider golf to be strenuous exercise. Swimming pools are for soaking rather than any form of actual exercise.

by Anonymousreply 23September 15, 2020 4:02 PM

R23

[quote]In many cities those who walk everywhere rather than drive are looked down upon as poor

That would explain why a lot of people looked at me funny like I was some sort of albino Mexican when I decided to walk from my hotel into town when I went to the US a few years ago, it was only a few km, no big deal

by Anonymousreply 24September 16, 2020 9:13 AM

Disassociation from nature, animals, the Earth and each other - i.e. from the source of our food.

Economic inequality and insecurity - needing to run ever faster on the treadmill to keep from sliding back. Working longer and longer hours, needing to drive everywhere, stress, lack of time for exercise, preparing and even for eating healthy meals. Over-reliance on over-processed crap. Sedentary escapist pursuits. Hormones in almost all animal-based food products. Depression, anxiety and alienation. Etc.

by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2020 12:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!