Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Best horror short stories.

With October just around the corner. And not very many horror movies coming out. Can you suggest your favorite horror short stories. I've read quite a bit but I'm always on a lookout for new ones. Ones, I've missed. I read all kinds of Horror. So I'll take any suggestions you have. Thank you, DL family.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 19, 2020 1:52 PM

you probably already know this but most of Stephen King's best writing is his short stories. almost all of them are fantastic

by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2020 2:53 AM

He wrote all of them while on an insane amount of cocaine. Just a fun fact.

by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2020 2:54 AM

All the best ones I've read are by Robert Aickman. His stories are almost always inexplicable--you always feel unsettled, and you know something horrible and supernatural has happened, but often you're not exactly sure what.

My favorites:

"Ringing the Changes" (his most famous story)

"The Inner Room"

"The Trains"

"The Hospice"

"In the Woods"

"The Stains"

by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2020 3:26 AM

Ron Hansen has some good ones in his collection of short stories, Nebraska and She Loves Me Not. Really underrated writer. Here is one about a soldier in Vietnam -- Boogeyman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2020 3:34 AM

[quote] [italic]The Lottery[/italic] by Shirley Jackson

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2020 3:57 AM

I'm not a big Stephen King fan, but I agree with R1. "Survivor Type" and "The Jaunt" are unforgettable.

by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2020 4:03 AM

Coup de Grace by Ambrose Bierce and The Pit and the Pendulum by Edgar Allan Poe.

by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2020 4:16 AM

I second Shirley Jackson—any short stories. She has a knack for writing about evil hidden behind banal situations.

by Anonymousreply 8September 15, 2020 4:22 AM

Speaking of October, "October Country" is a short story collection by Ray Bradbury, which includes "Something Wicked This Way Comes."

Very well written and entertainingly spooky.

by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2020 4:30 AM

I thought "Something Wicked this Way Comes" was a novel.

by Anonymousreply 10September 15, 2020 4:32 AM

Any within Books of Blood, by Clive Barker -“In the Hills, the Cities“ helped me understand a little bit of the Sturgis covid rally.

I’m fighting the urge to jump into novels. Damnation Game also by CB was fun and relatively short

by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2020 4:42 AM

I'm a fan of the Victorian writers. I've enjoyed Sheridan Le Fanu's stories.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2020 4:45 AM

Watch the old tv show The Night Gallery. "Sins of the Father" will chill your bones.

by Anonymousreply 13September 15, 2020 6:33 AM

Got a long list here, collected over the years:

The Devil and Daniel Webster - Stephen Vincent Benet

The Emissary - Ray Bradbury

The Mine - L.T.C. Holt

Three Miles Up - Elizabeth Jane Howard

The Next in Line - Ray Bradbury

The Thing in the Cellar - David H. Keller

Count Szolnok"s Robots - D. Scott-Moncrieff

Among the Wolves - David Case

The Gates Were Locked - Morag Greer

The Labyrinth - R. Chetwynd-Hayes

The Children of Noah - Richard Matheson

No One Ever Comes Here in Winter - James Turner

Marmalade Wine - Joan Aiken

The Interlopers - Saki

The Roll-Call of the Reef - Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch

The Wolves of Cernogratz - Saki

The Wendigo - Algernon Blackwood

Man-Size, in Marble - Edith Nesbit

Celui-La - Eleanor Scott

Blindman's Bluff - Cannot remember the author

by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2020 11:06 AM

A Good Man Is Hard to Find - Flannery O'Connor

by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2020 1:10 PM

R15 Flannery O’Connor wrote crazy short stories—just utterly bizarre. I read some early in college and I’m sure any symbolism probably went over my head at the time, but I recall that they were just f’ed up.

by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2020 3:45 PM

"Miss Mack" by Michael McDowell. One of my all time favorite horror stories.

by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2020 3:53 PM

I love The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins

by Anonymousreply 18September 15, 2020 5:14 PM

The Landlady by Roald Dahl. Dahl was a pervert in real life though.

by Anonymousreply 19September 15, 2020 5:18 PM

His Beautiful Hands by Oscar Cook

Feet Foremost by L.P Hartley

Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad by M. R. James

The Whole Town's Sleeping by Ray Brabury

Don't Look Now by Daphne DuMaurier

Afterward by Edith Wharton

by Anonymousreply 20September 15, 2020 5:22 PM

R3, the only one of that group I've read is 'The Hospice.' Very odd, and deeply unsettling. The way the story went, I was quite surprised to see our protagonist permitted to leave; the situation seemed very 'Hotel California' to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 15, 2020 5:24 PM

𝐒𝐫𝐞𝐝𝐧𝐢 𝐕𝐚𝐬𝐡𝐭𝐚𝐫 by Saki (H.H. Munroe):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 15, 2020 5:27 PM

𝐖𝐨𝐥𝐟'𝐬 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐞 𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐨𝐟 𝐓𝐞𝐫𝐫𝐨𝐫 by Leonard Wolf (hardback, 1979, used; there is also a paperback version that is still in print, but it's grievously abridged) has a terrific selection of short horror stories, many of the them off the beaten track. I recommend it highly. Here's its Table of Contents:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 15, 2020 5:43 PM

R22, I loved that one! Forgot about it, haven't read it for a few years. And for that matter, another of Saki's stories, "The Open Window," is also one of my favorites. (Sredni Vashtar used to be my "name" on another message board a very long time ago.)

by Anonymousreply 24September 15, 2020 6:29 PM

It wasn't IMDb, was it, R24? ;)

by Anonymousreply 25September 15, 2020 6:32 PM

R25 No, it was an RPG gaming board, long dead. Just found a hardcover copy of "Wolf's Complete Book of Terror" online, first edition "near fine" condition. Am buying it, as we speak.

by Anonymousreply 26September 15, 2020 6:43 PM

The Room in the Tower by E.F. Benson

by Anonymousreply 27September 15, 2020 6:52 PM

[quote]A Good Man Is Hard to Find - Flannery O'Connor

A Hard Man Is Good To Find

by Anonymousreply 28September 15, 2020 6:53 PM

DISQUIET by Julia Leigh is more of a novel, but only about 100 pages. It lives up to the name. Over a decade since I read it, I still remember some of the disturbing sequences.

by Anonymousreply 29September 15, 2020 7:02 PM

I’m a Stephen King fan, and I like Night Shift a lot, but I liked Different Seasons and. Just After Sunset more.

I’m going to buy that Wolf’s Book as well.

by Anonymousreply 30September 15, 2020 7:02 PM

Just about anything by Richard Matheson. His work was amazing. His short story "Prey" was the basis for the "Trilogy of Terror" tv movie segment where Karen Black is getting chased around her apartment by a bloodthirsty Zuni fetish doll with a knife. The wrote the screenplay for "The Night Stalker" tv movie with Darren McGavin, which was the highest rated tv movie up to that time. Stephen King ripped off his story "The Distributor" for his novel "Needful Things." Matheson was truly a master of horror.

by Anonymousreply 31September 15, 2020 7:45 PM

Penthouse Forum

by Anonymousreply 32September 15, 2020 8:01 PM

The Art of the Deal by Donald Trump

by Anonymousreply 33September 15, 2020 8:17 PM

[quote]His short story "Prey" was the basis for the "Trilogy of Terror" tv movie segment where Karen Black is getting chased around her apartment by a bloodthirsty Zuni fetish doll with a knife.

R31, here's a gay parody of that 'Trilogy of Terror' segment, called 𝐊𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐧 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐋𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐌𝐞 (1997):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 15, 2020 9:08 PM

Aww, OP. I bought the Night Shift paperback when I was 9 and read it over one rainy weekend. I remember thunder making me jump!

The details were incredible, like the man walking the around his building’s ledge while birds peck at his ankles.

I can buy King speeding his tits off with stories like The Lawnmower Man.

by Anonymousreply 35September 15, 2020 9:38 PM

No one has mentioned Edgar Allan Poe yet? The Mask of Red Death is divine, if I recall the name correctly. Any of his stuff fits the genre.

by Anonymousreply 36September 16, 2020 2:10 AM

All of M. R. James' stories are terrifying.

I recommend Thomas Ligotti, whose short works are profoundly disturbing.

Robert W. Chambers' "King in Yellow" series is wonderful.

H.P. Lovecraft's "Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath, while a novella, is fascinating.

Henry James' "The Ghostly Rental" is a great psychological study.

Ramsey Campbell's short works are almost as terrifying as M. R. James.

Angela Carter's "Company of Wolves" cycle is excellent.

John Dickson Carr's short stories are mysteries, but often contain a horrific element. A few of them have frightened me more than any ghost story.

R14, "Blindman's Buff", which is terrifying, was by the British author H. Russell Wakefield, also responsible for "The Red Lodge" which reduced the 10-year-old me to a whimpering heap of sobby blubber.

by Anonymousreply 37September 16, 2020 2:32 AM

"A Sad Last Love at the Diner of the Damned" by Edward Bryant is really something. Splatterpunk at its best.

by Anonymousreply 38September 16, 2020 3:23 AM

"I have no mouth and i must scream" by Harlan Ellison is one of the most famous horror short stories ever written, deservingly so.

And i loved "The Emperor's old bones" by Gemma Files. You can find it online. Horrific, unsettling, really hard to forget.

by Anonymousreply 39September 16, 2020 4:12 AM

"The Doll" by Algernon Blackwood

by Anonymousreply 40September 16, 2020 4:37 AM

Kafka's In the Penal Colony was pretty disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 41September 16, 2020 6:22 AM

Thomas Ligotti! It's been a few years, but I used to love reading his stories around Halloween.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42September 16, 2020 6:51 AM

This one was from a book in my youth called “𝗜𝗻 𝗔 𝗗𝗮𝗿𝗸 𝗗𝗮𝗿𝗸 𝗥𝗼𝗼𝗺 & 𝗖𝗼𝗹𝗹𝗲𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗼𝗳 𝗢𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝗚𝗵𝗼𝘀𝘁 𝗦𝘁𝗼𝗿𝗶𝗲𝘀” This particular story was called “𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝒢𝓇𝑒𝑒𝓃 𝑅𝒾𝒷𝒷𝑜𝓃”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 16, 2020 7:37 AM

R43, that story first cropped up in a very unfunny version, as "The Adventure of the German Student" by Washington Irving (1824). The implications of Irving's tale are incredibly ugly. It appears to have been inspired by an urban legend dating to the Reign of Terror.

by Anonymousreply 44September 16, 2020 7:43 AM

If you want to read The Adventure of the German Student, here's a link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 16, 2020 4:31 PM

Miriam, by Truman Capote.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 16, 2020 11:55 PM

Thank you so much my DL family. Writing down all the authors that you have suggested. I'll have some good reading for October. 🎃🎃🎃

by Anonymousreply 47September 17, 2020 12:03 AM

R46, Miriam is a wonderful story and I also loved "The Headless Hawk," "Mr. Misery" and "The Tree of Night".

by Anonymousreply 48September 17, 2020 1:16 AM

A lot of Flannery O'Connor stories, while not exactly "horror stories", are pretty horrible. "The Lame Shall Enter First", "A View of the Woods" and "Everything That Rises Must Converge" come to mind.

by Anonymousreply 49September 17, 2020 3:26 AM

R26 and R30, tell me what you think of that book once you've gotten it and have looked it over. ;)

by Anonymousreply 50September 19, 2020 3:53 PM

I can't get through a Clive Barker novel. I've tried but I think he's boring. Stephen King has knack of being creepy and funny at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 51September 19, 2020 4:02 PM

There's one King story that's haunted me for awhile and it's from his collection called Everything's Eventual and I think it's called The Man in Black which is about a creepy man who visits a little boy as he's playing in his yard after his mother has died. The way he describes the man is really haunted and how he reeks of sulfur.

by Anonymousreply 52September 19, 2020 6:34 PM

Jerusalem's Lot - with the barefoot boy with ringworm... in a nightgown......

by Anonymousreply 53September 19, 2020 8:32 PM

The Boogeyman.

by Anonymousreply 54September 19, 2020 10:42 PM

R5 - Another vote for Shirley Jackson's, "The Lottery", utterly chilling in its seamless transformation of the banal into the horrifying.

"Casting the Runes by M.R. James", which became the basis for the film "Curse of the Demon", which became a cult classic on its own later.

And let us not leave out The Great Detective, some of whose cases were genuinely creepy - e.g., "The Speckled Band" and his most famous longer one, "The Hound of the Baskervilles" - the scenes out on the moors are enough to raise the hair on the neck . . .

by Anonymousreply 55September 19, 2020 11:30 PM

R26 and R30, what did you think of the book?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 19, 2020 12:19 PM

There's a collection of short stories called American Noir. They get more horrifying as the book progresses. I sent a copy to my cousin. Neither of us has been able to complete the book.

by Anonymousreply 57November 19, 2020 1:10 PM

Is it this one, R57?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 19, 2020 1:13 PM

The Quiet Boy by Nick Antosca. One of the few short stories I've read in recent years that genuinely scared me. It's being made into a film - Antlers, but the story is terrific.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 19, 2020 1:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!