Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you speak intelligently? Or use the word "like" inappropriately?

Our company just hired a new guy - several degrees and certifications, interviewed really well. Today was his first day on the job, and I swear he uses the word "like" in every sentence. "I was like..." "I'm like..." "We were like..." "Like..."

Do you find yourself doing this? Or are you smart?

by Anonymousreply 121September 18, 2020 6:31 AM

Like, for real

by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2020 1:03 AM

I am, like, SO smart.

by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2020 1:12 AM

OP get a life

by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2020 1:13 AM

Is he, like, cute? Will you have an opportunity to see him, like, naked?

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2020 1:13 AM

The worst is when they begin a sentence with "And like...." i.e. And like, I have to go the store. And like, they were sold out of toilet paper last week. And like, I'm out of toilet paper now."

It's strange. I would have expected the millennials to rebel against the valley girl speech style of the previous generations. I'd rather they just pause every few words. Even, "uh" is better than "like". "Like" sounds so fucking stupid.

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2020 1:20 AM

This. Never. Happened.

by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2020 1:23 AM

I like literally died when I saw this topic. Sounds like a you problem. Hate to see it.

by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2020 2:20 AM

Don't be problematic, R7.

by Anonymousreply 8September 15, 2020 2:21 AM

"Then I go" instead of "I said," and "then he goes," instead of "he said." Or beginning every sentence with, "So."

by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2020 2:27 AM

R9, I hate that, too. "Then I go" is very similar to: And I'm like ".....", and then he's like ".....", and I'm like "....".

A couple of weeks ago, there was an article on the Daily Mail that transcribed Goop and Cameron Diaz' podcast conversation. And 90 percent of the comments were mocking their speaking style: And then I'm like ".....", and so you go "....", and then I went "....", and you were like "....".

by Anonymousreply 10September 15, 2020 2:32 AM

What about starting every sentence with "I mean..." . As in "I mean, I find that so dorky."

by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2020 2:37 AM

When I was young, yeah, like all the time, literally.

Weened myself away for it, though I'll use it now to make a point.

by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2020 2:39 AM

I too, hear such communicators at work. Very annoying. I start counting "You know" OR "Like" OR "I Mean".

OP and OP11, it's good to know that I'm not the only person who find people who speak like that to be uneducated. Maybe these people just aren't used to speaking in professional settings? Maybe they can only communicate in jargon and slang.

by Anonymousreply 13September 15, 2020 2:40 AM

R11, I think that 20 percent of sentences on Reddit start with "I mean". Its the most unnecessary clause ever. I'm not sure exactly when or why it started, but it's everywhere now.

by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2020 2:40 AM

Also, "So..."

So, I have a question. So, are we still meeting?

by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2020 2:51 AM

When I interview people for roles reporting to me, excessive use of like as a verbal prop is a deal breaker as I know that it would irritate the hell out of me having to listen to it all day every day. I like, totally only give the like idiotic candidates the minimum interview time like possible. Like.

With the job market the way it is, people don’t want to ruin their chances at the outset.

Of course I can never provide this as feedback to failed candidates due to the risk of lawsuits.

by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2020 3:09 AM

Ditto “So,...”.

by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2020 3:10 AM

I'm guilty of over using the word really. This is currently a gripe discussion amongst British English speakers. I certainly use slang, and impolite expletives at times, yet I am effective at code switching. The funny thing about language is that it often is not indicative of intelligence. (I want to type "really" here, but I shall refrain.)

We're all programmed from birth to mimic those around us: parents, schoolteachers, peers. One can have the advantages of well spoken parents, good schools, and well spoken friends, and still end up daft, superficial, and flakey. Many sound intelligent, yet they're actually average or below.

Some who pepper their language with these fillers are actually highly intelligent, yet they're completely unaware of how they are perceived by others. It can be highly annoying (as well as confusing at times) listening to them speak however. One must judge fairly, and not place much emphasis on it. If a candidate for a position which involves writing, and they're incapable, that's a different matter altogether.

by Anonymousreply 18September 15, 2020 4:44 AM

If it’s a candidate for a position that involves them working within earshot of me, they have no chance, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 19September 15, 2020 5:21 AM

Oh no, colloquial speech patterns. The horror!

by Anonymousreply 20September 15, 2020 5:36 AM

well, you know, sometimes...

by Anonymousreply 21September 15, 2020 5:44 AM

R8, how about when the entirety of the sentence is:

"I mean..."

That's it. I mean...

Does speech imitate Reddit or does Reddit imitate speech?

by Anonymousreply 22September 15, 2020 5:48 AM

Sorry, R22 was intended for R11.

by Anonymousreply 23September 15, 2020 5:49 AM

I mean.... Yeah.

by Anonymousreply 24September 15, 2020 5:50 AM

Judge Judy viciously reprimands litigants who use "like" in every sentence.

NOT LIKE!

by Anonymousreply 25September 15, 2020 5:55 AM

You will notice it more because speakers no longer have the use of facial expressions to help “fill out” their messages.

by Anonymousreply 26September 15, 2020 5:59 AM

If I'm speaking publicly or in a formal setting, I speak the speech of a well-read, intelligent, thoughtful person.

My speech in informal conversation with friends and acquaintances is peppered with some variation of "fuck" about every 3rd or 4th word. I don't think I've ever used "so", "like", "you know" or "I mean".

by Anonymousreply 27September 15, 2020 6:03 AM

That’s why I love judge Judy . She like calls out the imbeciles, I mean really.

A century ago a camp counselor who I found very annoying began every sentence with, “well, I don’t mean to say anything .... but...” Even to a very young dorky gayling, I knew it was so wrong

by Anonymousreply 28September 15, 2020 6:05 AM

I totally talk good. What do you even mean? Like are you saying I sound dumb or something? You sound like some kinda word snob. Ya know?

by Anonymousreply 29September 15, 2020 6:07 AM

I use like occasionally depending on who I'm talking to. Is it talking down, patronizing?

by Anonymousreply 30September 15, 2020 6:17 AM

N’Oh, Dear R30 bless your heart

by Anonymousreply 31September 15, 2020 6:45 AM

I hate statements started with 'Actually...........' Indians tend to this.

I also hate the trailed off non-option giver, ending a sentence with 'or' - s'o what we can do is option X or.............'

by Anonymousreply 32September 15, 2020 6:49 AM

So yeah.

by Anonymousreply 33September 15, 2020 6:51 AM

The thing is that it mimics a casual, social conversation you have with friends. It signifies closeness and familiarity and being amongst your like-minded peers or inner social circle, if you will.

Of course, it would be completely inappropriate for serious and professional conversations with your boss or total strangers. But on social media everybody is your friend.

by Anonymousreply 34September 15, 2020 8:09 AM

He's a Valley Girl.

by Anonymousreply 35September 15, 2020 8:24 AM

Some of these word habits are unconscious and can be very difficult to break.

My dad is autistic and has a processing disorder and I wouldn't be shocked if I have a touch of a processing disorder as well. Dad used poor english, so I didn't learn proper language usage. I tried to learn a lot of words and phrases throughout my early adult years because I was self-conscious about it.

Those of you who had academically inclined parents and are good with language don't know how lucky you are.

by Anonymousreply 36September 15, 2020 8:25 AM

I have heard like many people with IQ 150 like flooding their sentences with so many likes that I'd like to relief myself in the loo to like get them out of system.

Like it proves anything, OP

by Anonymousreply 37September 15, 2020 8:31 AM

Because of body language it can be determined who struggles with talking in public. Even so-called sophisticated people can be socially awkward.

What really bugs me are the ones who just can't shut up and talk rapidly so nobody else can chime in. Sometimes, it's to mask their nervousness, but it's still annoying.

by Anonymousreply 38September 15, 2020 8:32 AM

I conversate real good.

by Anonymousreply 39September 15, 2020 8:41 AM

Is OP under the impression that his writing style suggests intelligence?

by Anonymousreply 40September 15, 2020 9:13 AM

My current pet peeve is people who make a statement and following it with "so, yeah". I noticed it is creeping into England also. I don't know why but I find these little quirks maddening. I'm old, so have lived through them all.

by Anonymousreply 41September 15, 2020 9:16 AM

Like, um, my family is, um, like known for its class and intelligence

by Anonymousreply 42September 15, 2020 9:21 AM

DL Fave AOC speaks this way all the time, all the time, all the gee-dee time.

And I'm like, you'll never be president with THAT much air in your head.

by Anonymousreply 43September 15, 2020 9:52 AM

I never used "like" in, like, this way. Who wanted, like, to sound like Maynard G. Krebs?

And I refused to say "I was, like..." instead of "I said" or "I thought" until I heard Meryl Streep say it in an interview, and then I was, like, "I give up." This would have been in the early '00s. I don't say it often, but occasionally it slips out, kind of like "no problem."

by Anonymousreply 44September 15, 2020 10:16 AM

OP your guy went to the Kim Kardashian's School of Speech.

Like for real.

by Anonymousreply 45September 15, 2020 1:58 PM

I'll add "to be perfectly honest" to the list. I can't help but roll my eyes when I hear someone say that.

by Anonymousreply 46September 15, 2020 3:28 PM

Your first question, yes; the second, no; the third, no; the fourth, yes.

by Anonymousreply 47September 15, 2020 3:58 PM

Fluent ebonics if that is a real language.

by Anonymousreply 48September 15, 2020 3:58 PM

One of the few benefits of being an older gay is that 'like' is a word that I seldom use.

by Anonymousreply 49September 15, 2020 4:07 PM

OMG, OP! I like literally exploded into laughter when I perused your post. You are so totally mentioning a subject that is important to, like, everyone of us! The english language is being like so totally misused by all kinds of people irregardless of who they are and what they like do for livings. Each of us have to understand the language or it will, like, totally be something no one understands sooner or later! I mean, thanks for posting!

by Anonymousreply 50September 15, 2020 4:13 PM

Have you noticed lately how many people respond to a question by beginning a sentence with "So?"

by Anonymousreply 51September 15, 2020 4:46 PM

When I was a kid, got into the habit of saying "you know." It got cut short when my father would say "No I don.t" each time.

by Anonymousreply 52September 15, 2020 4:48 PM

LOL R52. If I ever asked my mother a question like "Where is my book at?", she would reply "behind the 'at'". It was her simple way of telling me not to end sentences (questions) with a preposition.

by Anonymousreply 53September 15, 2020 4:53 PM

Yeahyeahyeah all in one word. It sounds moronic.

by Anonymousreply 54September 15, 2020 4:59 PM

I just...can’t. There’s a lot of stupid filler these days. One of my least faves is “ya know what I mean” after every sentence. I think everyone should be required to take speech class in high school and be videotaped talking. That may help the young ones get perspective on how terrible they sound before these habits get ingrained. I find myself overusing “like “ if I’m tired and can’t focus very well.

by Anonymousreply 55September 15, 2020 4:59 PM

[quote] Weened myself away for it,

Wouldn’t that make you a weenee?

I’ll see myself out.

by Anonymousreply 56September 15, 2020 5:06 PM

I agree with r27.

My speech is dictated by where I am and who I’m with. Professional setting is one thing; out with friends a completely different thing.

by Anonymousreply 57September 15, 2020 5:07 PM

I hope r50 is not married cause I’m proposing.

by Anonymousreply 58September 15, 2020 5:07 PM

Judge Milan of The People's Court usually interjects "Yes, that's what we expect of you when you come here" when a litigant says "To be honest, Your Honor...."

by Anonymousreply 59September 15, 2020 6:55 PM

“Because”, R58, not “cause”.

by Anonymousreply 60September 15, 2020 6:59 PM

[quote] I just...can’t.

And there's another one I can't stand.

by Anonymousreply 61September 15, 2020 7:15 PM

I fight against using "anyway" as a transitional word.

by Anonymousreply 62September 15, 2020 8:05 PM

Annoys the hell out of me!

It seems youngsters and pretentious people do it ALL the time.

by Anonymousreply 63September 15, 2020 8:13 PM

I hate "sort of". Chris Hayes is a regular offender. The modifier dilutes certainty, and unintended consequence.

by Anonymousreply 64September 15, 2020 8:14 PM

"an" not "and"

by Anonymousreply 65September 15, 2020 8:14 PM

Judge Judy goes nuts when litigants say "basically," but tells us she feels "badly" about situations.

by Anonymousreply 66September 15, 2020 8:52 PM

So, anyway....

by Anonymousreply 67September 15, 2020 10:04 PM

Not on the same level, but "let me be clear" is usually followed by an outrageous falsehood.

by Anonymousreply 68September 15, 2020 10:23 PM

Like maybe he dresses in drag and is a valley girl on weekends.

by Anonymousreply 69September 15, 2020 10:25 PM

I say “uhhhh....” WAY too much.

by Anonymousreply 70September 15, 2020 10:36 PM

My friends and I say "okay" too much and one day tried to ban it and change it, but it was so fucking horribly hard to stop. I am sensitive to the way people speak, internally criticize, but I'm also aware that for many people, verbal communication is fraught for many reasons. I think it is easy to talk like the the people you're around, get lazy, or be awkward and nervous speaking.

I hate catch-phrases, but then find myself using them. "Can't touch that" was a horrible 80s one. (MC Hammer for youths here)

by Anonymousreply 71September 15, 2020 10:46 PM

[quote] One of my least faves is “ya know what I mean” after every sentence.

This is a very common filler phrase in the UK. It took me a while to realize people there weren’t actually asking me if I understood what they were saying. I thought they were asking me as a courtesy to see if I understood their way of speaking or a cultural reference, so I’d respond with an earnest yes almost every time . I must have come off “thick as pig shit.”

by Anonymousreply 72September 15, 2020 11:04 PM

Doesn't annoy me as half as much as someone ending all of their sentences with "right".

Not "I know, right".

I mean:

"You take this and do that with it, right? And the something else happens, right? After that happens something else is going to follow that, right? That's the procedure that everyone has learned at this point, right? Etc., right? Fifty thousand more sentences ending with right to follow, right?"

Almost as annoying as sentences that both begin and end with "bro".

by Anonymousreply 73September 15, 2020 11:19 PM

I speak intelligent.

by Anonymousreply 74September 15, 2020 11:57 PM

Miss OP would take her shoe off and hit her new coworker with it to cure him of this bad habit.

If only her gunt wouldn't get in the way of reaching those Payless shoes......

by Anonymousreply 75September 15, 2020 11:58 PM

I speak appropriately for the situation. I don’t address a warehouse employee in the same manner I do the CFO; I don’t address a young, uneducated person the way I address the elder gay in HR. And the prisspots who think there isn’t a difference are delusional and out-of-touch.

by Anonymousreply 76September 16, 2020 12:07 AM

The fist sign of a person who provides a service not speaking intelligently, is saying "No Problem" when a customer says "Thank you."

by Anonymousreply 77September 16, 2020 12:07 AM

R76, people who know English do not hyphenate "out of touch" when it is not a adjectival phrase.

Are were you addressing us a ESL fifth graders, Miss "I Speak to My Audience of the Moment with Exquisite Acuteness"?

And crapping on gay people the way you do is an unneeded revelation of your issues.

by Anonymousreply 78September 16, 2020 12:12 AM

I once worked at a company that had an active Toastmasters group, and I joined. I think this was probably a Toastmasters thing, but we had an "um" jar, where, when you were speaking, people would count up the number of times you said "um" or "uh" and you'd have to contribute 5 cents for each offense. I know it's not much, (though several people probably had to sacrifice meals to satisfy their debt) but we went on to expand it to cover things like "like," "you know," "I mean," and "literally."

It was really good training. Now, when I hear people using these phrases (seems like too good a word), I just can't take them seriously. Like, you know, I mean literally.

by Anonymousreply 79September 16, 2020 12:16 AM

OP, the discrimination between "like" and "such as" has been lost, although hearing someone maintain the correct distinction is refreshing.

Or were you referring to something else?

By the way, you do realize that there is no rational connection between your two questions? They represent two case descriptions that do not intersect. One may speak intelligently without speaking correctly, and using vocal tics and habituated pause-words is not an indication of unintelligent speech, even if it is irritating to some.

by Anonymousreply 80September 16, 2020 12:17 AM

R78 you've got a lot of grammar and punctuation issues with which to deal.

by Anonymousreply 81September 16, 2020 12:18 AM

R76 I speak to everybody who I encounter in the same way. Same level of respect. I speak neither down nor up, it’s a lot easier that way, and much more respectful of the other person.

You’ve probably been raised and educated differently.

by Anonymousreply 82September 16, 2020 12:24 AM

I also use “see” quite often. More like an early Peanuts strip character than an old time movie gangster, though.

by Anonymousreply 83September 16, 2020 12:25 AM

"Are were you addressing us a ESL fifth graders,"

Lol, in a thread about talking intelligently.

by Anonymousreply 84September 16, 2020 12:26 AM

I speak good.

by Anonymousreply 85September 16, 2020 1:08 AM

I speak worst than R85.

by Anonymousreply 86September 16, 2020 1:12 AM

Is he like, straight? Or is he like, str8 straight?

by Anonymousreply 87September 16, 2020 1:13 AM

I have, like, the best words.

by Anonymousreply 88September 16, 2020 1:42 AM

NPR on the air---

NPR employee: Soooo, that's like, sorta the crux of the issue, right?

Other NPR Employee: Well yeah, I mean....

NPR Employee: Riiigght? So yeah.

by Anonymousreply 89September 16, 2020 1:49 AM

NPR acknowledges their hosts use this kind of crap language and seems to think it’s acceptable. BBC 4 is not so permissive.

by Anonymousreply 90September 16, 2020 2:21 AM

R81 is in a thread about language and complains about language when the OP is called out.

R81 is a stupid cunt, self-evidently.

by Anonymousreply 91September 16, 2020 2:34 AM

Oh, I see. R81, indeed, is an interloping woman. Smells like someone not working and upset with her life.

I'll just say "typical cunt," then.

by Anonymousreply 92September 16, 2020 2:37 AM

My partner is one of the brightest people I know. He's smart as a whip, yet doesn't feel the need to go around using six syllable words that most people have never heard of in order to get his point across. If he thinks something is idiotic or fatuous, he's not afraid to say, "that's dumb." Why? Because saying "that's dumb", gets right to the point and the masses understand what it means. Not everyone wants to hear an arrogant bastard pontificate.

by Anonymousreply 93September 16, 2020 3:39 AM

I’m excellent at conversating.

by Anonymousreply 94September 16, 2020 3:42 AM

When my nieces and nephew start rambling on about something, my sister always warns them, "you're losing your audience", so they'll be mindful that they need to get to the point. Even if you're rambling on whilst using six syllable words, you're still rambling and people will stop listening.

by Anonymousreply 95September 16, 2020 3:43 AM

The original post had nothing to do with six syllable words and everything to do with people who cannot get through the average sentence without leaning upon the verbal crutch of “like” every three or four words.

by Anonymousreply 96September 16, 2020 4:14 AM

I'm surprised how many of you hang out with your sisters,nieces and nephews.

Are you sure you're not mothers talking about your own kids in guise of sisters, nieces, and nephews.

by Anonymousreply 97September 16, 2020 4:18 AM

^Missing space after comma, missing question mark.

So yeah.

by Anonymousreply 98September 16, 2020 4:21 AM

Perfect, r89.

by Anonymousreply 99September 16, 2020 3:18 PM

Some speak well, I speak weller.

by Anonymousreply 100September 16, 2020 3:22 PM

I remember "Never use a big word when a smaller word has the same meaning." Think of this when I see "Preventative" when they should use "Preventive."

by Anonymousreply 101September 16, 2020 3:24 PM

[quote] I'm surprised how many of you hang out with your sisters,nieces and nephews.

I see you’re new here. Welcome.

by Anonymousreply 102September 16, 2020 3:59 PM

[quote] I say “uhhhh....” WAY too much.

Hi Governor Cuomo! Welcome to Datalounge!

Big fan here.

by Anonymousreply 103September 17, 2020 4:54 PM

[quote] Some speak well, I speak weller.

I got ya beat. I speak well done.

:-P

by Anonymousreply 104September 17, 2020 4:55 PM

Like?

Do I use “like”?

I’m like, lost. Doomed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105September 17, 2020 5:53 PM

‘We are never getting back together. LIKE. EVER.’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106September 17, 2020 6:17 PM

R16 and r19 sound like petty, horrible people

by Anonymousreply 107September 17, 2020 6:19 PM

Pure "oh dear" bait for the boys

by Anonymousreply 108September 17, 2020 6:59 PM

My everyday speech is perfect. You wouldn't believe how perfect it is.

by Anonymousreply 109September 17, 2020 7:08 PM

I'm eleventy years old!

by Anonymousreply 110September 17, 2020 7:30 PM

^^^ Only the best words! Which, in my vocabulary, total 25, 30 tops!

by Anonymousreply 111September 17, 2020 7:47 PM

I have an uncle who was a professor at MIT & he was a super genius. He taught me all about nuclear. So I understand that kind of stuff. Every doctor is amazed and says “How do you know so much?” I really like this stuff. I get it. Maybe I have a natural ability.

by Anonymousreply 112September 17, 2020 10:08 PM

I went to the best colleges for college. I had a situation where I was a very excellent student, came out, made billions and billions of dollars, became one of the top business people, went to television and for 10 years was a tremendous success, as you probably have heard.....my critics are taking out the old Ronald Reagan playbook and screaming mental stability and intelligence.......actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart.”

by Anonymousreply 113September 17, 2020 10:23 PM

They come to me with tears in their eyes. Big beautiful tears. Grovelling like little bitches. The biggest tears, okay? They say to me. They say, 'Please, sir. Please, Mr. President, sir. Sir, please teach us to talk as good as you, sir. You talk so good, sir. Please, Mr. President, sir'.

by Anonymousreply 114September 17, 2020 10:35 PM

[quote] OP get a life

Never!

by Anonymousreply 115September 17, 2020 10:41 PM

The misogyny of some posters (born from mothers, one presumes) is something up with which I will not put.

by Anonymousreply 116September 17, 2020 10:49 PM

"He taught me all about nuclear. So I understand that kind of stuff"

It is not that complicated. Unless you were a business major.

by Anonymousreply 117September 18, 2020 5:29 AM

In my early 20s, I admired people who could throw big words into a conversation. I would try to use big words when speaking and when writing. Now, I have a job that involves helping people get through something that's kind of complicated. Now, I speak in order to communicate (simpler words, shorter sentences, etc.). It's not always "intelligent" sounding.

by Anonymousreply 118September 18, 2020 5:51 AM

Yes r118. I often have to retreat from my fifty cent words. I just wish it didn’t have to be such a conscious act.

by Anonymousreply 119September 18, 2020 6:23 AM

Person

Woman

Man

Camera

Like, TV

by Anonymousreply 120September 18, 2020 6:25 AM

Lol r120

by Anonymousreply 121September 18, 2020 6:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!