Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Coronavirus cases are growing in 11 U.S. states as Fauci warns of ‘disturbing’ data

What happened to all the testing?

What about all the supplies that were supposed to be rushed to production?

What happened to the federal response. Did they give up? Lazy? Stupid? Why are they letting so many die?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65September 16, 2020 1:15 AM

We can have all of the testing in the world. But, the world is full of stupid people who don't wear masks and congregate. Tests won't help that.

by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2020 8:56 PM

The testing is to help identify the unmasked who have the virus so they can be told to self-isolate and not infect others.

Of course, they won't self-isolate any more than they'll wear a mask, so I get your point.

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2020 8:57 PM

Fake News. The coronavirus problem is over, thanks to the heroic efforts of President Trump.

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2020 9:00 PM

If you don’t test, isolate and contract trace, then you got nothing. Half the people won’t take the vaccine, and that’s even it works.

The only way out of this is get serious now or it will keep going on forever. They need to shut down common spaces and just get the numbers down to manageable numbers so they can trace, isolate and get us out of this.

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2020 9:01 PM

This whole federal response is something out of the third world.

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2020 9:02 PM

[quote]What happened to all the testing?

Testing is only a control measure if followed with isolation of infected individuals and and contact tracing.

Testing only identifies. It doesn't in itself control infection. .

by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2020 9:06 PM

Texas has around 70k fewer cases than California, but just edged out California for the number of deaths.

No one catches New York in the number of deaths though...NYC better go into lock down once the temperatures drop.

by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2020 9:06 PM

This is getting really scary with the flu season coming up and now corona is out of control and spreading all across the country again

This is only the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2020 9:10 PM

The current pandemic is new to all of us (the last one was over 100 years ago). It's very difficult to get a grasp on something this serious when you have no experience with it - it's comparable to being thrown in the deep end of the pool all at once and not even knowing how to swim. It's a struggle for the government and the average everyday man and woman to deal with it. Needless to say it's quite a learning curve for all of us. Do what you can in your own little corner of the world and try to be patient with everyone else, including the government. This WILL end sooner or later but in the meantime tie a big knot and hang on. Taking it one day at a time and seeing even little improvements makes one feel better, or least more hopeful.

by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2020 9:11 PM

Try not to be frightened or discouraged by what the news or medical people tell you - they see it as their job to broadcast the worst aspects of Co vid19. It's never quite as dark as they paint it to be so therefore it is imperative not to be disturbed by their 'disturbing' data.

by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2020 9:16 PM

Pandemics are not new to the CDC. They have ALWAYS ISOLATED, CONTACT TRACED their way out of epidemics but THIS TIME they were stopped by the republicans who were scared to lose and election.

Let’s just cut to the chase.

by Anonymousreply 11September 14, 2020 9:17 PM

Say that to all the dead people and their loved ones r10.

Of this was 5 years ago we would be seeing all the dead bodies in the media but private equity has put a stop to that so their delicate house of cards doesn’t come tumbling down.

by Anonymousreply 12September 14, 2020 9:19 PM

You right wing trolls are still beating that dead horse, R10?

by Anonymousreply 13September 14, 2020 9:20 PM

Not surprised at all. I saw some pictures of of sports bars in Wisconsin and they were packed and nobody was wearing a mask as if there is no pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 14September 14, 2020 9:22 PM

“Wisconsin hit a record high in its average of daily new cases, reporting 1,353 new infections, a roughly 32% increase from a week ago”

This is going to get so much worse under these deadbeat leaders at the federal level. Just worthless.

by Anonymousreply 15September 14, 2020 9:22 PM

R13 I'm not a right wing American troll. I'm a moderate from Canada simply trying to help people with some common sense and encouragement. We all have to do our part somehow.

by Anonymousreply 16September 14, 2020 9:23 PM

1000 a day. From now until Nov 3 is about Trumps margin of victory last time.

by Anonymousreply 17September 14, 2020 9:27 PM

Our part? The federal officials are manslaughtering people but yes let’s blame ourselves.

by Anonymousreply 18September 14, 2020 9:28 PM

Fauci downplayed the pandemic and it ever spreading to America. No one knows anything.

by Anonymousreply 19September 14, 2020 9:32 PM

It’s a novel disease. They’re playing catch up. They’re changing their position every five seconds.

by Anonymousreply 20September 14, 2020 9:34 PM

The rightwing UK tabloids are currently rocking a massive hate boner for Australia. Every second article is about the naziesque government that is making the cure worse than the cause. Police are nazis who are infringing on human rights by making people quarantine, socially distance or wear masks. Go take a look at the Daily mail Australia section. It's blatant. Media is agitating the defiance. After taking a quick look at US media it's the same talking points. Rightwing media is stirring the pot.

by Anonymousreply 21September 14, 2020 9:34 PM

[quote] The coronavirus problem is over, thanks to the heroic efforts of President Trump.

The only "hero" Trump has ever been involved with is a foot long he has sent in from Subway Sandwiches on a daily basis.

by Anonymousreply 22September 14, 2020 9:35 PM

Are they trying to kill everybody off?

by Anonymousreply 23September 14, 2020 9:36 PM

This sucks. It would have ended in June if we had democrats in charge.

I miss Obama so much.

by Anonymousreply 24September 14, 2020 9:41 PM

R24 that’s just not true, there are way too many people who test positive and still won’t quarantine or do anything to protect others. Obama couldn’t cure selfishness

by Anonymousreply 25September 14, 2020 9:52 PM

I just got back from Costco and there were so many either not wearing a mask or only covering their mouth.

by Anonymousreply 26September 14, 2020 9:52 PM

Garmisch-Partenkirchen Germany. An US American civilian employee of the US army, who is staff at the USARC Edelweiß Lodge comes back from her holidays in Southern Europe. Shows heavy symptoms and gets tested and the strict order to stay in Quarantäne until her test is verified. Spends one or more nights in bars partying. Now hotel closed 70 in Quarantäne, 27 infected, probably all from her.

by Anonymousreply 27September 14, 2020 9:56 PM

Obama actually proved he can keep an epidemic from turning into a pandemic.

If only we had democratic leadership from the beginning it would have been stopped like Obama stopped swine flu.

Pick up a history book every now and then people.

by Anonymousreply 28September 14, 2020 9:56 PM

The president already admitted that he let it spread. What more do you want.

They didn’t lift a finger.

Remember all the fake props and false promises?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 14, 2020 9:58 PM

The federal response was a scam while all went off and boarded supplies and sold stocks.

Anybody still trying to stick up for these thugs needs to answer to all the death and lost jobs and incalculable destruction.

by Anonymousreply 30September 14, 2020 9:59 PM

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that NY's numbers might stay low. A teacher's strike would help.

NYC's numbers matched Madrid closely until July, when cases in Madrid took off again while NY's remained flat. The difference? Madrid immediately went back to bars and dining, NY did not.

by Anonymousreply 31September 14, 2020 10:05 PM

I live in LA and half the cunts walking around either don't have masks or they are wearing them as a necklace. Cyclist and joggers NEVER wear masks. They shot be shot on the spot.

by Anonymousreply 32September 14, 2020 10:17 PM

This crap is just going to keep going round and round and round until we get some grown-ups in charge at the federal level.

by Anonymousreply 33September 14, 2020 10:20 PM

[quote]now corona is out of control and spreading all across the country again

No. The number of cases is rising in 11 states, according to OP's article. The overall number of cases nationwide is currently dropping. The virus is not "out of control" except maybe in isolated areas (like Wisconsin, where the Republican-controlled legislature vetoed the governor's mask order, and now they're paying for it).

by Anonymousreply 34September 14, 2020 10:30 PM

It's spreading to more rural communities through the usual route - universities/frats, prisons, nursing homes, factories/food plants.

by Anonymousreply 35September 14, 2020 10:34 PM

[quote] It's a struggle for the government and the average everyday man and woman to deal with it. Needless to say it's quite a learning curve for all of us. Do what you can in your own little corner of the world and try to be patient with everyone else, including the government.

I see what you did there, Boris. Not so stealth.

by Anonymousreply 36September 14, 2020 10:38 PM

R34 it’s not like these germs are going to know to stop at the state lines.

by Anonymousreply 37September 14, 2020 10:39 PM

This sucks. I want democrats back in the White House so we can have a life again.

by Anonymousreply 38September 14, 2020 10:44 PM

All you can do is protect yourself. Just like some gay men during the AIDS crisis refused to get tested or change their behavior until they started seeing walking skeletons and their friends dying right and left did they take it seriously. Even then, years later, some men gave into “condom fatigue” and went back to unsafe sex or turned into bug chasers. There are even men who are positive that say it’s a hoax and don’t get treatment until they are gravely ill.

Don’t let the behavior of others determine your own personal safety or compromise what you know is right. Stupid people are all around us always.

by Anonymousreply 39September 14, 2020 10:50 PM

Trump’s not killing off his MAGAits in those states fast enough.

by Anonymousreply 40September 14, 2020 10:54 PM

Projected >400,000 deaths by Jan. 1.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 14, 2020 11:06 PM

All this death and carnage is never had to happen.

Thank god Woodward has the tapes for posterity. Republicans can’t deny responsibility any longer.

by Anonymousreply 42September 14, 2020 11:09 PM

Covid is sooo last month.

by Anonymousreply 43September 14, 2020 11:12 PM

R39 is boring and pollyanna but 100% true and that was my lesson from the AIDS years. Take care of yourself and encourage and support those closest to you. You can't cure stupid. Also people are self-sabotaging and dysfunctional so you could try to find away to have some empathy for that. The Trump government - no excuse. They operate and profit from the existence of flawed stupid humans.

by Anonymousreply 44September 14, 2020 11:17 PM

Remember Trump and everyone in his administration were not stupid they knew exactly what they were doing - destroying lives to save their own asses. Yes they are stupid for not being able to respond professionally but they knew the damage and death they caused with their lies. They also don't think COVID is a disease that affects them personally.

Sound familiar?

AIDS and gays - 80s. They were happy to see faggots die. We deserved it. That's what the GOP thinks. Kill the olds and poors. Just a bunch of useless takers.

by Anonymousreply 45September 14, 2020 11:24 PM

They love this crap. Especially people like Plump and Cruz

by Anonymousreply 46September 14, 2020 11:38 PM

If r39’s description is being a Pollyanna, I’d hate to see his nihilism.

by Anonymousreply 47September 14, 2020 11:51 PM

[quote]The overall number of cases nationwide is currently dropping.

That won’t be the case 2-3 weeks from now.

by Anonymousreply 48September 14, 2020 11:58 PM

[quote]Eight people in Gresik regency, East Java, were ordered by local authorities to dig graves for those who have died of COVID-19 as punishment for not wearing face masks in public.

That’s one Indonesian punishment I’d like to see imported to America.

by Anonymousreply 49September 15, 2020 12:14 AM

In Ohio, the counties with the largest percentage of outbreaks are occurring in rural Trump country, except for Columbus, which is blue, with solid red suburbs. Cuyahoga County ( Cleveland), which is solidly blue, has seen a large drop.

Ohio added 61.2 cases per 100,000 people in the last week, though 11 counties had rates of at least 100 per 100,000: Putnam (183.1), Mercer (172.4), Athens (150), Shelby (142), Pickaway (138.6), Butler (134.7), Henry (133.3), Harrison (119.7), Franklin (116.7), Miami (108.4) and Darke (103.7).

Cuyahoga County, which has been working its way toward a possible status change from orange to yellow in the state’s alert system, is well below the statewide average, with just 34.8 new cases per 100,000 people in the last week.

by Anonymousreply 50September 15, 2020 1:13 PM

I bet it'll peak around Election Day. He's doing this to himself.

by Anonymousreply 51September 15, 2020 1:52 PM

CNBC: The United Arab Emirates has approved a Chinese coronavirus vaccine for emergency use for its frontline health workers, its top crisis authority announced Monday.

by Anonymousreply 52September 15, 2020 1:54 PM

[quote] No one catches New York in the number of deaths though.

Yet.

New York is currently around 2-8 deaths per day, down from the 700s at its peak. Those states I fear will catch up.

by Anonymousreply 53September 15, 2020 2:01 PM

As of today, total number of deaths per county:

Los Angeles: 6,231

Queens: 6,004

Kings: 5,676

Cook: 5,134

The wingnut obsessions with New York City's COVD death toll is truly nauseating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 15, 2020 2:39 PM

Los Angeles is the most populous county in the US, so naturally it could be expected to have the most deaths.

by Anonymousreply 55September 15, 2020 4:37 PM

Look at the map for Deaths By Population and you can see that many of the hardest-hit areas (the ones in darker blue) are in rural parts of the country. (You have to click on the Deaths By Population tab.)

by Anonymousreply 56September 15, 2020 4:40 PM

I do wonder what will happen to the cities where it hit early, like Seattle and NYC (where I live). Yesterday I went for a free rapid test by appointment in Harlem and it was incredibly quick and efficient and I didn’t encounter another testee there. They were like a well-oiled machine at DMHMH. Quite unusual for a city agency! And got the results in a few hours.

I’d guesstimate that 90% of the people I encounter out and about are wearing masks and social distancing as much as possible. Everyone has gotten the message here.

The rest of the country? I’ve heard the compliance is dismal.

by Anonymousreply 57September 15, 2020 5:01 PM

R57 that’s good to hear. I’m in Brooklyn but will be coming into the city for a medical procedure soon. People out here aren’t wearing masks as much as I like or are pulling them down too often.

by Anonymousreply 58September 15, 2020 5:04 PM

The states with the largest share of deaths:

1) New York 32,639

2) New Jersey 16,034

3) Texas 14,508

4) California 14,458

5) Florida 12,800

lol at Vermont with only 58 deaths. Yeah that's not happening. It's clearly more.

by Anonymousreply 59September 15, 2020 5:18 PM

I live in a college town and the dumbass students are packing the bars every night and the administration is complacent. Our number were starting to go down but they've gone back up. The biggest demographic is now the 11-30 year old age bracket. They even closed a dorm and moved the "well" kids to other dorms. It's a complete shitshow.

by Anonymousreply 60September 15, 2020 5:22 PM

[quote]I live in a college town and the dumbass students are packing the bars every night and the administration is complacent.

Michigan State University has had 300+ positive cases since the fall semester began late last month. MSU basketball coach Tom Izzo, who is revered there, is disgusted:

“I’m going to be honest, students in general, I’ve been very disappointed by what I see on TV at all of our colleges,” Izzo said. “Kids not respecting anything, including themselves. I’ll probably get punished for saying that, but the parties you see on TV, the things you see going on, it kind of proves the point of why other countries have kind of got through it faster.”

“I’m putting the shout out to our students, to our 17 to 25-year-olds to wake up and respect the people next to you if you don’t respect yourself,” Izzo said. “When I see things going on at some of these places, I just kind of shut my eyes and say ‘Why? Why are we doing this?’”

by Anonymousreply 61September 15, 2020 5:25 PM

It’s almost like we need a federal intervention so it won’t spread from state to state.

What happens when all the kids go back home and bring their germs with them.

by Anonymousreply 62September 15, 2020 5:27 PM

R61, Wow. Way to go Tom Izzo.

The school in my hometown is an SEC school, so they're more worried about getting their football season started than they are the health and safety of the student body, staff and everyday workers on and off campus.

by Anonymousreply 63September 15, 2020 5:33 PM

It's good the coach calls out the young adult behavior but he is wrong to imply it's different in other countries. Young adults don't give a fuck all over Europe and will be the vector for the 2nd wave. Why are the bars open? Greed and lack of spine to figure out how to spend a year or two without the habitual social culture.

by Anonymousreply 64September 16, 2020 12:53 AM

Here in N. Fl they allowed a high school football game to be played. The stands and field were packed,and you saw about 3 masks. I vowed right then and there to go out in public even less than I do now. Wich is already a fraction of what Im used to .

by Anonymousreply 65September 16, 2020 1:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!