Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The latest cancelled people

I DAVID HUME

The University of Edinburgh in Scotland announced that it would rename a university building after George Floyd on Thursday. The Hume Tower was previously named after Scottish Enlightenment philosopher David Hume, who is thought of as a notable classical liberal political philosopher. The Hume Tower will now be known as 40 George Floyd.

The prestigious university, located in Scotland’s capital city, explained in a statement that the renaming was taking place because “of the sensitivities around asking students to use a building named after the 18th century philosopher whose comments on matters of race, though not uncommon at the time, rightly cause distress today.”

Many of Hume’s ideas and publications had influenced the American Revolution and later European movements against absolute monarchy.

The University of Edinburgh claims that the strange renaming is only temporary, but give no timeframe as to when the tower will be reverted to its original name, or changed back at all.

II GEORGE BERNARD SHAW

RADA Students Call for George Bernard Shaw's Name to be Dropped From Drama School's Theatre

The Daily Mail has reported that Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts students are calling for George Bernard Shaw's name to be removed from the drama school's theatre due to the playwrights support for fascism and eugenics.

The students have also asked the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art to stop performing Restoration comedies due to their association with the Empire.

The students' anti-racism plan states:

"RADA celebrates historical figures who embraced racist ideologies."

In an anti-racism document submitted to the school, the students ask for the school to remove "all paintings, sculptures, pictures and room names that celebrate racist figures."

They stated:

"It is deeply distressing that the basis of our education today continues to be lacking in variety or diversity."

A RADA spokesperson shared: "RADA's work with students and staff to establish an anti-racist institution and culture at RADA is ongoing, with the student action plan and its recommendations at the centre of that work."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 17, 2020 2:00 PM

I post about race 24-7! My life is race, race, race!

by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2020 5:35 PM

Control and revision of history is a crucial step in authoritarian regimes.

It's sad that the regressive left cannot see they are aiding and abetting the eventual loss of all person liberties and freedoms.

smh.

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2020 5:42 PM

It's a sad statement when the most accomplished, heroic black man they can come up with to honor is a violent, drug-addicted felon who died high as a kite while resisting arrest.

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2020 5:51 PM

It's interesting that they didn't think, say, Barack Obama or Thurgood Marshall or someone similar would be a representative person to honor.

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2020 5:52 PM

Mewnwhile, Trump is saying people who burn the flag should get a year in jail

But merely saying someone's name should be removed from something is bad!

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2020 5:52 PM

Yes, R5, it's just a symbol.

Like it would be just a symbol if they took down the MLK memorial in DC and replaced it with a similar statue of Donald Trump smirking.

Just a symbol, so no one should be bothered in the least.

by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2020 5:55 PM

More woke Madness.

by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2020 5:55 PM

Insanity.

by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2020 6:12 PM

Scotland and Canada seem to be competing for the gold in the woke Olympics. WTF does George Floyd have to do with Scotland? Utter lunacy.

by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2020 10:53 PM

Doesn’t Scotland have any black men from their own country they can laud? This is so bizarre

by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2020 11:27 PM

The George Floyd thing is a joke, c'mon people

by Anonymousreply 11September 14, 2020 11:31 PM

If George Bernard Shaw gets canceled, does that mean Julie Andrews goes with him?

by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2020 12:02 AM

It’s all fake everyone.

by Anonymousreply 13September 15, 2020 12:08 AM

More woke Madness.....

"For the 2020-2021 graduate admissions cycle, the University of Chicago English Department is accepting only applicants interested in working in and with Black Studies...."

Animal Farm come to life. I bet within a month of the start of the semester, white professors and white students will be banished by Black professors and Black students. Welcome to woke America.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2020 12:48 AM

I agree with the other posters. While there's NO reason to cancel Hume, if they did want to rename "his" building to reflect racial equity (or whatever), why not honor WEB DuBois, Sojourner Truth, or Stuart Hall?

by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2020 1:01 AM

I'm getting the feeling that rampant book burnings are not too far ahead.

by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2020 4:20 PM

There must be a Scottish person worthy of having a building named after him or her. Perhaps John Murdoch who was the architect of crofters rights?

by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2020 4:26 PM

It’ll be interesting in twenty years when students in George Floyd Hall start having a problem with the fact that a building on their campus is named after a violent predator who pointed a gun at a pregnant woman and whose only achievement is getting killed during a counterfeit arrest.

What an inspiring figure for generations to come!

by Anonymousreply 18September 15, 2020 4:30 PM

Sounds like a load of Internet bullshit to me.

by Anonymousreply 19September 15, 2020 4:39 PM

[quote] I'm getting the feeling that rampant book burnings are not too far ahead.

Yeah, and [italic]Das Kapital[/italic] will be one of the most prominent volumes aflame in the pyre.

by Anonymousreply 20September 15, 2020 6:53 PM

But, R20, it is the woke, neo-marxists who are in the vanguard of cancel culture. Das Kapital is their gospel. Expect the books written by dead white males to be thrown gleefully onto pyres in university quads and commons across the western world. Fahrenheit 451 is about to arrive.

by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2020 12:37 AM

And after they have had their fill of burning books without hearing even a whimper of protest, they will soon begin burning people.

by Anonymousreply 22September 16, 2020 12:39 AM

Marx is a dead white male.

by Anonymousreply 23September 17, 2020 3:10 AM

I won’t allow it! A few confused souls won’t drown my legacy!

by Anonymousreply 24September 17, 2020 3:12 AM

Racey!

by Anonymousreply 25September 17, 2020 3:13 AM

R23, Marx was Jewish, not White.

by Anonymousreply 26September 17, 2020 2:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!