Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Most insane celebrity interviews?

In print, television or radio. I'll start with Jlo's 1998 interview with Moveline. She said Gwenyth is insufferable (true), Cameron Diaz was "a lucky model" (true), Salma Hayek only does bombshell roles (false), said Winona Ryder has never made a memorable film (false), Madonna is a bad actress (true), said Clare Danes plays the same character in every movie (true) and exposed Wesley Snipes and Woody Harrelson for hitting on her. PR be damned!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44September 16, 2020 10:02 AM

Thread closed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2020 4:37 PM

Where did she say Gwyneth was insufferable?

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2020 4:38 PM

She didn't, but she did say she was only still famous bc of Brad Pitt. My bad.

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2020 5:04 PM

R1, that's not crazy at all. Crazy would be this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2020 5:09 PM

OP, didn’t that interview come out when she had the film with Penn coming out, or was it the one with Clooney? Either way, that interview was PR Genius and whoever strategized that one, “Hats off, Dear Sir or Madam”.

The title of the most “questionable” of celebrity interviews obviously goes to Depp’s Rolling Stone interview. I don’t know that I could have sent that whole thing to print or even start or finish the interview after arriving to Depp’s rented spot. I would have probably looked around and exited shortly thereafter. And had I not, and finished the job, I’m not sure that I’d be able to add that to my CV. It was like ransacking the home of a person on life support and it was just not the right thing to do, period- end of story.

The most “cringe-worthy” was Bad Brad Pitt’s interview in GQ, after “Zthe Plane, Zthe Plane!” incident. Just the photography accompanying that piece literally induced an audible gasp from yours truly, as soon as I saw them. Hopefully, Pitt has learned his lesson when it comes to Hollywood’s demands for appeasement when a celebrity is stuck on an unhappy marriage and wants out, while personally having experienced the valid reasons as to why he wants out in the first place.

Celebrities should not be held in higher accountability than the rest of us schmucks who fuck up and make mistakes, or develop a bad habit just to cope with life, just like the rest of us do. Rolling out these BS narratives is a useless practice, because these are real people, and like Depp and many others, the general public included, end up with real problems and challenges that while amusing to us as fodder to fill up our hours of ennui, are personal to them and require privacy if they choose to require it - especially when children are involved, along with dozens of other variables that we aren’t supposed to be privy to, because we don’t own them or their fucking careers.

I understand that unlike Depp, Pitt had no choice but to kick into “collateral damage” gear, but just the fact that he had to, allows a perceptive person to theorize that he was dealing with shit that got way out of hand & was never going to end well, despite his best efforts or his frustration behind having to play by rules that in theory, look fair, yet in real life, are anything but and can cause real harm to others who are completely innocent and undeserving of such high scrutiny from millions of strangers, when those strangers have no fucking clue how that scrutiny can damage the psyche of adults and children involved in dysfunctional systems and households.

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2020 5:09 PM

In 1998, Claire Danes was only 21 and most of her career then had been as a teenager; it was pretty bitchy to say nasty things about her then.

J-Lo had so many great career opportunities in the late 90s, and she pretty much squandered them. She's a talented actor, but she didn't really want to take her career in that direction--what she wanted to do was be incredibly famous, and that;'s what she got. So she got together with a series of men who were just as narcissistic and insecure as she was, and each one blew up their relationships in the press more and more.

The bitchiness and jealousy towards other actors was pretty unseemly, and she paid a price for it. I don't think anyone minded her saying nasty things about Madonna's acting talent (that was no secret), but the digs at the other women were ridiculous. If Camerron Diaz is a former model who got lucky, one could easily say J-Lo was a former Fly Girl who got lucky. And Winona Ryder, whatever her talent, has made a number of memorable films: "The Age of Innocence" is a classic, and "Heathers" and "Beetlejuice" and (to a much lesser extent) "Mermaids" are all cult classics.

by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2020 5:20 PM

One recently disgusted me. Was Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon promoting the morning show. Can't remember what magazine it was for. During the whole interview they just looked at their 2 publicists sitting beside them for every question. For some of interview the publicist would say "they can't answer that question." All the while having this creepy phony niceness. I thought to myself aren't these two of most biggest actresses in Hollywood right now. And they can't even speak for themselves. It was disgusting and comical at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2020 5:23 PM

The funniest part of the J Lo interview was her saying acting was her craft or something along those lines...I guess it's better than her saying that about singing. Nobody would believe that one.

by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2020 5:23 PM

Most interviews with Robert Downey Jr are cringy now. You can definitely tell the drugs have caused brain damage. The kiss assy one with Howard Stern makes me want to throw up.

by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2020 5:25 PM

R6, so you think that interview wasn’t vetted and she just said that shit willy nilly? I think Benny Medina set that whole thing up for it do as intended: blow the fuck up into the Hollywood stratosphere. And it did just that. Everyone remembers that interview, more so than they remember the host of shitty films Lopez decided to pursue in lieu of a decent film career.

I don’t believe a decent film career was ever something Lopez wanted, particularly because she is a good actress, yet too arrogant to understand that the late 90s was the time for her to strike in that direction, believing that she could take shortcuts and focus on fame and unmitigated exposure by dating Affleck and running around with a tacky and obscene pink bauble on her ring finger. That’s what she wanted. If she was smart enough to go from Fly Girl to Selena, co-starring with Penn & Clooney, then she was smart enough to know that Hollywood has no mercy for actresses over 30, and if you’re going to be a respected actor, you had better do it right then and there rather than pursuing that triple threat bullshit Medina advised her to pursue.

Many actresses fall victim to this as do the men. Affleck was caught up on that whole Bennifer crap, & though he wisely exited he still managed to squander his talent as a writer & director, by choosing to play the HW PR game and become a family man, when it’s patently obvious to us all that Affleck was never meant to pursue that endeavor-at meant not then.

Look at what happened to Jolie. She had a tiny window of opportunity to develop her career and craft as a single mom to her adopted son. That image was more than enough, frankly, and she may have won herself a second Academy Award had she stayed the course, rather than get caught up in an inarguably highly profitable partnership with Pitt, yet here she is: in the middle of a highly publicized and epically nasty divorce, and over the age of 40. Why did she do that to herself, when she was just about to get everything most successful actresses could ever want, had she just forged onwards and stayed off the dope and tabloids for being 1/2 of Brangelina, instead of just being Angelina Jolie? Now her ex and sparring partner is about to launch into his second wind and probably keep producing, perhaps pick up a few more Oscars because of his production efforts, and make himself “Just Brad Pitt”, while she gets to be the martyred and single mother of six kids, getting roasted for a divorce, where surely both parties have legitimate complaints, gripes, axes to grind? And she’s the biggest “just a shame” on this list, because while J-Lo is the better actress of the 2, Angelina had that “it” factor that wasn’t the Julia Roberts “it” factor, however, may have catapulted her to an equally successful career trajectory, had she had a decent team maneuvering her through the hoops and keep her as busy and as accountable as possible, so that she too, like Julia, could have favored better when it came to the addiction management department.

Just my thoughts. I’m not in the biz, so maybe I’ve got it all wrong and I admit, that the chances that I do, are pretty high.

by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2020 5:52 PM

I remember Madonna held onto J Lo's comments for a long time. She and Gwyneth snubbed J Lo at some event (I think it was a Versace fashion show) and when J Lo and Ben ended their engagement, they blamed the media. Madonna publicly said that they had a responsibility to make their own relationship work and they were just blaming the media as an excuse. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 11September 14, 2020 5:55 PM

That’s rich, being that a few years prior, Madonna had just had her marriage-media disaster end with her tied up in a chair with her insane husband pouring a bottle of Wesson oil over her head, followed by ripping open a goose down pillow, dumping it over her head , as a “Thanksgiving weekend with the family” ending. And that shit spread like wildfire all over town, so try as Madonna might, to deny it, those version of events were allegedly spilled by the Malibu Sheriff’s Station, rather than by her PR, or any of her close friends, who would curiously, eventually become former friends, GOOP included. And she avoided the whole Warren Beatty was Sean’s friend first thing, too.

by Anonymousreply 12September 14, 2020 6:12 PM

The funniest thing about JLOs interview was that she exposes herself as being delusional because she actually believes she's talented.

Oh and then claiming she never said those things and the Interviewer telling her to say it again and he'll release the audio tapes.

by Anonymousreply 13September 14, 2020 6:35 PM

[quote] That’s rich, being that a few years prior, Madonna had just had her marriage-media disaster end with her tied up in a chair with her insane husband pouring a bottle of Wesson oil over her head, followed by ripping open a goose down pillow, dumping it over her head , as a “Thanksgiving weekend with the family” ending. And that shit spread like wildfire all over town, so try as Madonna might, to deny it, those version of events were allegedly spilled by the Malibu Sheriff’s Station, rather than by her PR, or any of her close friends, who would curiously, eventually become former friends, GOOP included. And she avoided the whole Warren Beatty was Sean’s friend first thing, too.

And I still didn't blame the media.

by Anonymousreply 14September 14, 2020 6:43 PM

JLO sent everyone she pissed off a letter of apology - and some took it to heart

Until they discovered it was a form letter - everyone got the same letter,

by Anonymousreply 15September 14, 2020 6:45 PM

LOL R15, she's clearly not a good business woman. Somehow, I feel like that's something someone in business would know NOT to do.

by Anonymousreply 16September 14, 2020 6:50 PM

Tacos, tacos, tacos...

by Anonymousreply 17September 14, 2020 6:52 PM

Alright, Madge. True enough.

But why would you have to blame the media, when Sean was already busy punching them in the face?

All of the above said, he was still then and remains now, the better of the two, if having to choose between marrying Penn, or Affleck.

Madge, unlike JLo, had standards, even if Sean himself, punched and beat to death, the standards he once had.

Poor Jennifer can’t even marry a man who will actually consummate their marriage, so, at this point, Madge’s ahead, even if she likes it a lil’ rough.

Lol!

Did she really, R15??? What an insincere and cunty thing to do. Funny AF, too. I woulda framed it over the toilet on the pool house.

by Anonymousreply 18September 14, 2020 6:58 PM

This one's pretty nutty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 14, 2020 6:59 PM

It was Clooney r5! She also advocated (pretty balls-ily if I say so myself) for a 5m payout because she said she'd be the only one doing PR, since Clooney was still on ER.

by Anonymousreply 20September 14, 2020 7:34 PM

R2”, bit she was the spark of that whole film. Clooney has done some terrific work on other films, but that one wasn’t it.

JLo did carry that one in particular, and made the entire thing really fun to watch. And surprisingly enough, Clooney, I’m my opinion, as low key as he was, was actually the only co-star she had palpable chemistry with on the big screen.

It’s a shame she wasn’t able to sustain that, because I think she could have eventually landed another big hit and gotten herself some nominations and maybe even an award. But as I said upthread, Lopez was too arrogant, and believed she could make some sort of comeback in film, while she chased tabloid covers. She also allowed herself to be managed by Medina, whom I don’t believe was a well suited consultant when it came to having a successful film career as opposed to having a few number one hits and over-exposure.

I am actually dumbfounded that she even seriously advocated for an AA consideration in Hustlers. That was a horrible film, and total trash, which she was way above doing when her career was first taking off.

II don’t see all of this as Jennifer’s fault. She had shitty management and wasn’t looked after properly, as a top notch manager would look after his client. Had she dumped him and switched up right after Selena, she may have had a shot at something different.

by Anonymousreply 21September 14, 2020 8:01 PM

I love Liza at r19. She's less out of it than her infamous appearances on HSN and Larry King, but she's still not quite altogether there.

by Anonymousreply 22September 14, 2020 8:22 PM

A few more:

Farrah on David Letterman and being either on drugs or really spacey and out of it

Madonna on David Letterman (smoking his cigar and being bitchy for no reason, unless you knew she had heard his jokes about her on the show for years and hated them)

Warren Beatty being interviewed by Barbara Walters right before "Dick Tracy" opened in 1990 and being almost unable to answer any of her questions directly (supposedly infuriating his bosses at Disney, who watched in horror, knowing it would decrease the box office take)

by Anonymousreply 23September 14, 2020 8:27 PM

I like this one with Nancy Grace. They bring up all her bullshit from over the years and she can't handle it so she argues with them a little then gets up and leaves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 14, 2020 8:39 PM

Whitney’s Diane Sawyer interview was supposed to be about rehabbing her image.

Had the opposite effect.

by Anonymousreply 25September 14, 2020 9:01 PM

I miss Movieline magazine.

by Anonymousreply 26September 14, 2020 9:05 PM

Matt Lauer interview of Britney Spears was disturbing on so many levels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 14, 2020 9:07 PM

Tom Cruise and Charlie Sheen should exchange notes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 14, 2020 9:18 PM

Michael Jackson's interview with Rolling Stone magazine. His sister Janet was sitting beside him. When he was asked questions, he would whisper answers in Janet's ear. And then Janet talk for him.

by Anonymousreply 29September 15, 2020 12:40 AM

Who can post the James Brown one? When he got out of jail looking like wild eyed??

by Anonymousreply 30September 15, 2020 1:36 AM

[quote] Michael Jackson's interview with Rolling Stone magazine.

Michael: " Lil sis, do you know when I molested McCaulay???"

Janet: "Probably a Tuesday....I don't know...it was the day you took him to the ice cream truck. Or was that Kenneth?"

Michael: " I don't know, I get all these kids confused and stuff"

Janet: "Michael, just answer the question"

Michael: "OK my love"

by Anonymousreply 31September 15, 2020 3:35 AM

R28 i wouldn't mind seeing Charlie interview Tom 😄

by Anonymousreply 32September 15, 2020 5:15 AM

Got a link r29?

by Anonymousreply 33September 15, 2020 8:45 AM

Short but whatever. Rosanne Barr.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 15, 2020 9:30 AM

Overrated chola.

by Anonymousreply 35September 15, 2020 9:58 AM

Jennifer Lopez is an attractive mediocrity.

by Anonymousreply 36September 15, 2020 10:09 AM

I once saw a video where a French talk show where they are interviewing Milla Jovovich and repeatedly chide her for the fact that her father did time in prison. She looks near tears at one point. Finally she pushes her drink over and walks out.

by Anonymousreply 37September 15, 2020 12:30 PM

R37 she's pissed off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 15, 2020 12:47 PM

R32, it would be the most insane interview--scientology meets crack. Plus, anti anti-depressant rantings.

by Anonymousreply 39September 15, 2020 1:26 PM

R39 half of the interview would be Charlie convincing Tom to try tiger blood 😄

by Anonymousreply 40September 16, 2020 1:50 AM

R40, oh yeah!!! Tiger blood, I almost forgot about that one. God, I wonder why Denise Richards divorced him 😁

by Anonymousreply 41September 16, 2020 1:57 AM

The interview with John Mayer in either rolling Stone or Playboy (can't remember which) where he discussed his "David duke cock" and whether he had a " n__ pass" among other things. I think he was desperately trying to come across as edgy or IDGAF but he just seemed pathetic and try hard. It kinda sunk him because he was seen as the "nice" suburbanite approved type of musician not the eccentric oddball on the fringes.

by Anonymousreply 42September 16, 2020 2:13 AM

R42 I still like John's music. But i will never understand his appeal as a person. Maybe the pairing with Swift was supposed to help rehab his image.

by Anonymousreply 43September 16, 2020 10:01 AM

To think Nancy Cohen is his best friend. r44

by Anonymousreply 44September 16, 2020 10:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!