Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Patti LuPone “Diction” - George Michael Edition

Okay, I absolutely love the album FAITH. But I can never follow this song logically, even though it sounds good.

What the hell is he saying?? Maybe the sound system in my car is crappy, but I feel like if this were given automated subtitles the lyrics would come out WACKY!

Am I imagining it, or is this song kind of muffled, both in what he’s specifically saying and the message/story of the song?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 14, 2020 4:17 AM

You are far When I could have been your star You listened to people Who scared you to death and from my heart Strange that you were strong enough To even make a start But you'll never find Peace of mind Til you listen to your heart People You can never change the way they feel Better let them do just what they will For they will If you let them Steal your heart from you People Will always make a lover feel a fool But you knew I loved you We could have shown them all We should have seen love through Fooled me with the tears in your eyes Covered me with kisses and lies So goodbye But please don't take my heart You are far I'm never gonna be your star I'll pick up the pieces And mend my heart Maybe I'll be strong enough I don't know where to stars But I'll never find Peace of mind, While I listen to my heart People, You can never change the way they feel Better let them do just what they will For they will If you let them Steal your heart And people Will always make a lover feel a fool But you knew I loved you We could have shown them all But remember this Every other kiss That you ever give Long as we both live When you need the hand of another man One you really can surrender with I will wait for you Like I always do There's something there That can't compare with any other You are far When I could have been your star You listened to people Who scared you to death and from my heart Strange that I was wrong enough To think you'd love me too I guess you were kissing a fool You must have been kissing a fool

by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2020 3:29 AM

Fucking formatting.

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2020 3:29 AM

How did Patti Lupone ever get through Julliard? I've heard it described (at least in her day) as a speech school more than an acting school. (Some guy from Buffy the Vampire Slayer said that in an interview)

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2020 3:30 AM

Someone please post the "Monkey" lyrics. TIA!

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2020 3:33 AM

The "Kissing a Fool" lyrics are at the link. There's quite a bit of tense switching, which makes it an unnatural monlogue/half a conversation. The message of the song seems pretty obvious: Outside forces got in our heads and we let them. Relationship over.

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2020 3:35 AM

Link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2020 3:35 AM

[quote]How did Patti Lupone ever get through Julliard?

She was in the first drama class that they started offering. They probably weren't that strict back then.

by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2020 3:37 AM

GM never looked better than he did on Faith video. Those jeans butt jacket boots. Hot

by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2020 3:40 AM

Is she known for slurred diction?

by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2020 3:40 AM

yes r9.

Check out Evita album: At one point she sings lets be friends Civilvised to the mistress. I actually looked civilivised up in the dictionary as a kid when we were studying Evita in Spanish class. She meant civilized but I thought she was saying a different word.

by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2020 3:42 AM

[quote]R9 Is she known for slurred diction?

You tell us

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 14, 2020 3:42 AM

[quote]Is she known for slurred diction?

She's a regular mush-mouth. Forbidden Broadway even spoofed it when she was in Anything Goes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 14, 2020 3:43 AM

"IbegtadiffyaBilly!"

by Anonymousreply 13September 14, 2020 3:48 AM

"Flashing some guy with my 'Stubby Kaye' thigh" is a great lyric.

by Anonymousreply 14September 14, 2020 3:52 AM

Considering she was condensing a five minute number in half on LIVE television.

Could you do better R11?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 14, 2020 3:53 AM

I hope they didn't pay r15's Magaldi for that performance. He speaks more than he sings.

by Anonymousreply 16September 14, 2020 3:56 AM

George sings it with his characteristic aspirated attacks and legato phrasing (in that exquisite, creamy mix-voice), but for all his stylistic touches, it never compromises the clarity of the words. Joanna Newsom/Halsey/Bebe Rexha I'm looking at you.

by Anonymousreply 17September 14, 2020 3:56 AM

Patti LuPoo!

by Anonymousreply 18September 14, 2020 3:57 AM

*aspirated onsets

by Anonymousreply 19September 14, 2020 3:57 AM

[quote]R17 but for all his stylistic touches, it never compromises the clarity of the words.

Okay - I guess it’s just me. Maybe I was molested while this song was playing once long ago and my brain just blocks it out (??)

But I swear that without looking at the lyrics, I can’t make out a bunch of them. It seems I’m the only one experiencing this, tho [bold]: o[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 20September 14, 2020 4:03 AM

Who is singing at r12? She really got Patti down pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 21September 14, 2020 4:11 AM

[quote]Considering she was condensing a five minute number in half on LIVE television.

She wasn't though. She sang it at the same pace as in the video you linked to. All they had to do to get it to 2m30s was cut out the intro bit with Magaldi and the dance break in the middle.

by Anonymousreply 22September 14, 2020 4:14 AM

R21 Toni DiBuono

by Anonymousreply 23September 14, 2020 4:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!