Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Patti LaBelle - "If You Asked Me To" Was A Hit Because Celine Dion Is White

Patti LaBelle recorded "If You Asked Me To" in 1989 and it went NOWHERE on the charts (see below)

Fast forward 3 years later and Celine Dion records the song and hits number one

Now LaBelle is saying Celine version was a hit because she is white

Do you agree? Vote below and discuss

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 15, 2020 7:36 PM

Celine Dion version of "If You Asked Me To"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2020 1:49 AM

No. Eet is bee-cause I am dee greatust singah in da worl.

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2020 1:52 AM

I didn't know Patti's version existed until after I heard Celine's version. It's a great song and I like both versions.

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2020 1:54 AM

Patti’s more soulful

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2020 1:57 AM

Patti LaBelle can go fuck herself. As if white people don't buy the records of black artists. Oh please.

LaBelle has more innate talent than Celine Dion will ever have, but Celine's recording of that crappy song is more listenable than LaBelle's. LaBelle's version is ruined by the cheap dinky sounding orchestration.

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2020 2:00 AM

On PattiVSGladys

when Patti was asked why it was a bigger hit when Celine did it, she said “Because she’s a white girl”

by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2020 2:04 AM

I've always preferred Patti's version of this song. It moves me more. That said, Celine's cover is lovely too.

by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2020 2:05 AM

Patti’s version was the closing song for the 1989 James Bond film ‘License to Kill’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2020 2:13 AM

I prefer Celine’s version. And, I’m not a Celine fan. Just my honest opinion.

by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2020 2:14 AM

Not a big fan of Patti’s phrasing, particularly in the chorus.

Celine’s longer notes give the melody more fluidity.

by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2020 2:17 AM

I love Patti's version so much that I've never even bothered to listen to the redo.

by Anonymousreply 11September 14, 2020 2:17 AM

[quote] Not a big fan of Patti’s phrasing

yeah I notices that to, and Celine's diction is more crisp

Irony is that English is not Celine's first language!

by Anonymousreply 12September 14, 2020 2:19 AM

I love them both

by Anonymousreply 13September 14, 2020 2:19 AM

Patti sounds like a little girl in her version.

Celine projects her voice. Belt it out, chere!

by Anonymousreply 14September 14, 2020 2:19 AM

It probably didn't go anywhere because the film it was attached to didn't do very well.

by Anonymousreply 15September 14, 2020 2:21 AM

I perfer Patti's version but Patti was much older and past her prime commercially by that time. Celine was new and fresh and was at the start of her english language career.

by Anonymousreply 16September 14, 2020 2:22 AM

Patti’s was more emotional while Celine’s was more delicate. It was more palatable for a larger audience.

However, I still always think of it as Patti’s song.

by Anonymousreply 17September 14, 2020 2:23 AM

Patti is one of my favorite singers but I did not like her version of this song as much

by Anonymousreply 18September 14, 2020 2:35 AM

Patti sounds like a munchin in the beginning of the song but it's a beautiful song and I forgot about it. I like both versions maybe Patti's a little more. But George Michael ruled the airwaves in 1989 so SOL Patti. It got lost.

by Anonymousreply 19September 14, 2020 2:54 AM

There is so much more that goes into a song becoming a hot than just race, though there might be some truth to Patti’s belief. But Celine was rising, and Patti was known, plus the timing, the record company promotion, who was running on MTV then, what was in zeitgeist. If race played a part, and it probably always does to some exte, it’s not the whole story.

by Anonymousreply 20September 14, 2020 2:58 AM

Patti, GFY. You sang "On My Own" with a white dude.

by Anonymousreply 21September 14, 2020 3:04 AM

R10 YES. That's the difference. Musically, Céline's version really sings. I like both too, but also prefer Céline version.

by Anonymousreply 22September 14, 2020 3:16 AM

R21 MM wasn’t just any white dude

by Anonymousreply 23September 14, 2020 3:20 AM

I love Gladys but this was bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 14, 2020 3:21 AM

Very close decision. IMO, their renditions are not that different. However, I will give Celine the edge because of how she sings this line:

[quote] Ask me to, I will give my world ... to you baby. I need you now ...

Possibly, Celine is singing in a lower key than Patti and, therefore, it's easier to sing along with Celine's version.

People are fascinated when a Caucasian woman sings soulfully: Celine (in this song), Amy Winehouse, Adele, etc.

If Britney Spears were black, I don't think she would have been as successful.

by Anonymousreply 25September 14, 2020 3:36 AM

I love Patti's Stir It Up. Did that even chart in the U.S.? It's from the Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack!

by Anonymousreply 26September 14, 2020 3:55 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 14, 2020 4:02 AM

Patti, Aretha and Mariah all disliked Celine. Celine has a reputation in the industry for being a privileged white woman who never recognized that privilege.

by Anonymousreply 28September 14, 2020 4:02 AM

R28, privilege? GFY. Celine grew up as poor white trash in a grungy suburb north of Montreal (yes, I've been there and there's a boulevard named after her).

by Anonymousreply 29September 14, 2020 4:09 AM

R28, Mariah was pretty much white herself for the first 10 years or so of her career.

by Anonymousreply 30September 14, 2020 4:10 AM

Lets be honest Mariah was just pissed Celine was outselling her ass in the 90s. I doubt Celine even thought of Mariah much.

by Anonymousreply 31September 14, 2020 4:12 AM

Celine is French Canadian, which isn't white-white, Patti.

by Anonymousreply 32September 14, 2020 4:17 AM

Patti herself stole this song from Martika

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 14, 2020 4:22 AM

Martika’s version

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 14, 2020 4:22 AM

The Bond Producers really missed an opportunity to have Patti do a big Goldfinger-esque theme song. The Timothy Dalton Bonds were more low-key though and Gladys fit that vibe for the opener. She would have been great during the Roger Moore years.

by Anonymousreply 35September 14, 2020 4:25 AM

Diane Warren wrote it and said Pattis label didn’t do anything with the song so Celine did it.

by Anonymousreply 36September 14, 2020 4:38 AM

Patti need to stick to bakin' pies!

by Anonymousreply 37September 14, 2020 4:57 AM

Hmmmmmm

by Anonymousreply 38September 14, 2020 5:01 AM

[quote] Patti, Aretha and Mariah all disliked Celine. Celine has a reputation in the industry for being a privileged white woman who never recognized that privilege.

Now you're really making shit up. Mariah wasn't concerned about Celine when she was pretty much the queen of Columbia Records at that time with THREE diamond albums. I don't think Aretha was all that concerned about Celine either. Patti didn't dislike Celine and even said that Celine told her personally that it wasn't fair how her version of "If You Asked Me To" was more of a hit than Patti's. Patti is cool with Celine and respects her.

Anyway, I like Patti's version better because she's far more soulful and slays the bridge and the ending. But I agree with others who said Celine's version had the better production (it was produced by David Foster).

by Anonymousreply 39September 14, 2020 5:05 AM

You mean Celine version was more commercial

by Anonymousreply 40September 14, 2020 5:10 AM

[quote] The Bond Producers really missed an opportunity to have Patti do a big Goldfinger-esque theme song.

I can hear that in my mind. As long as Patti stays out of the Minnie Mouse / helium singing, it would sound great.

by Anonymousreply 41September 14, 2020 5:13 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42September 14, 2020 5:22 AM

I only know Patti's version--didn't even know Celine had recorded it until this thread.

by Anonymousreply 43September 14, 2020 5:29 AM

That’s EXACTLY why The Power of Love wasn’t a hit for us but a smash for Celine! She’s white!!!

by Anonymousreply 44September 14, 2020 7:02 AM

Honestly, I think Patti's version is fine. She had crossover appeal as Adult Contemporary/Pop

But Celine made it a Power Ballad.

by Anonymousreply 45September 14, 2020 8:09 AM

Patti says in concert to intro the song how much she loves Céline and her version, “but... don’t get it twisted I did it first.”

by Anonymousreply 46September 14, 2020 3:04 PM

So her logic is that people decided not to buy her single, hoping that one day a white person would record it ?

by Anonymousreply 47September 14, 2020 3:17 PM

Patti has one of the best voices in music, still to this day. However, I don’t really know her music, aside from “lady marmalade” and “new attitude”. What are her great hits?

by Anonymousreply 48September 14, 2020 3:17 PM

R48

Other than the subject song of this thread, “Lady Marmalade” and “New Attitude”, her fans are mostly familiar with “If Only You Knew”. That’s probably her biggest classic soul hit. Then there’s “Somebody Loves You”. “Love, Need, and Want You” is another one, but sorta sounds just like “Somebody...”.

My favorite is her duet with Michael McDonald “On My Own”: gorgeous singing, gorgeous 80’s power, and a pointless, but epic 80’s music video with her giant hair.

Some people like her renditions of “Over the Rainbow”, but I’m not a fan.

by Anonymousreply 49September 14, 2020 3:42 PM

I like Patti's version better. But it's just stupid to suggest that race had anything to do with how well each was received.

by Anonymousreply 50September 14, 2020 3:50 PM

I hate Patti Labelle's voice she shrieks

by Anonymousreply 51September 14, 2020 3:55 PM

I agree R51

by Anonymousreply 52September 14, 2020 6:06 PM

Certain music genres are sequestered off from mainstream popular music because it's "R&B" or "soulful" or what have you, and isn't considered popular to a wide audience. That's not true, obviously, but the people controlling the music industry think it is, so a single by Patti that hasn't been specifically mixed and edited for a blander audience is going to get a whole different release than a single by Celine, and yeah, there is some racism involved.

by Anonymousreply 53September 14, 2020 6:11 PM

R53 the Patti song was mixed for a mainstream pop audience, it was specifically cut for a James Bond movie. I love Patti, but she chose to trill all over that song and made it less marketable.

by Anonymousreply 54September 14, 2020 7:03 PM

Was Patti drunk she she said this?

John Michael Montgomery released I Swear. It wasn't a hit. All 4 One released the same song and it was a huge hit. Clearly All 4 One had the hit because they were white like Celine.

Bonnie Tyler released The Best. It wasn't a hit. Tina Turner released the same song and it was a huge hit, just because she was a white lady.

Tina Turner originally recorded Diane Warren's Don't Turn Around but didn't put it on an album. Aswad has a British number 1 with it, Ace Of Base later covered it and a had a huge hit with it.

Bonnie Tyler, Robin Beck and Cher all released Diane Warren's Save Up All Your Tears, and none of them had a big hit.

Bette Midler and Cliff Richard both released From A Distance in the UK the same week in 1990. Cliff had a moderate hit, Bette sunk without trace, but the song was re-released a year later and was a huge hit. No one remember's Cliff's version, thank god.,

by Anonymousreply 55September 14, 2020 8:19 PM

And didn't famous African American singer Dolly Parton sing I Will Always Love You first?

by Anonymousreply 56September 14, 2020 8:23 PM

John Michael Montgomery’s version of I swear was a huge hit r55 and was the the number one country single of 1994.

by Anonymousreply 57September 15, 2020 5:11 AM

[quote]My favorite is her duet with Michael McDonald “On My Own”: gorgeous singing, gorgeous 80’s power, and a pointless, but epic 80’s music video with her giant hair.

r49 that's my favorite Patti song too, I find myself singing it all the time! It is encapsulates everything I love about Patti and the 1980s. Perfect song!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58September 15, 2020 6:43 PM

[quote]John Michael Montgomery’s version of I swear was a huge hit [R55] and was the the number one country single of 1994.

Having a #1 country single is like getting a #1 on the Dance chart.

Montgomery's version made #42 on the Billboard 100. All 4 One spent 11 weeks at #1 on the Billboard 100, the song was #2 in the UK for 7 weeks, was number 1 in Australia, Germany, Canada, Sweden and Zimbabwe and a huge hit in every other country it was released in.

by Anonymousreply 59September 15, 2020 6:50 PM

Exactly R56, Whitney Houston, a white woman, had a more successful rendition of “I Will Always Love You” than black singer Dolly Parton, the singer-songwriter, did.

by Anonymousreply 60September 15, 2020 7:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!