Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A pod of 'crazy' killer whales is launching coordinated attacks on boats, terrifying the sailors and baffling scientists

Killer whales are ramming and harassing sailboats traveling along the Spanish and Portuguese coasts in a series of attacks that have left scientists baffled.

Sailors traveling along the Strait of Gibraltar to Galicia have sent numerous distress calls in the last two months, with reports of boats losing part of their rudders, crew members sustaining bruises, and ships having to be towed away because of serious damage.

In one instance, a 46-foot delivery boat was surrounded by nine orcas off Cape Trafalgar in Spain. The whales, that can weight up to six tons, rammed the boat continuously for one hour, causing it to spin 180 degrees and the engine to shut down, according to crew member Victoria Morris.

Morris told the Observer that the attack, which happened on July 28, felt "totally orchestrated."

"The noise was really scary. They were ramming the keel, there was this horrible echo, I thought they could capsize the boat," Morris said. "And this deafening noise as they communicated, whistling to each other. It was so loud that we had to shout."

The orca pod had left by the time help arrived, but the boat still had to be towed to a nearby town called Barbate. Crew members later found the rudder missing its bottom layers and teeth marks along the underside of the ship.

Several days prior, a man was motor sailing alone off Barbate when he heard a sound "like a sledgehammer" and saw his wheel "turning with incredible force." Nick Giles told the Guardian that his 34-foot Moody yacht spun 180 degrees as he felt it lift up.

Giles said he was pushed around without steering for approximately 15 minutes.

"The boat lifted up half a foot and I was pushed by a second whale from behind," he said, according to the Observer. While the sailor was resetting the cables, the orca hit again, "nearly chopping off my fingers in the mechanism."

In a similar instance, a crew member from another delivery boat near Barbate told the port authority said the force of the orcas hitting the ship "nearly dislocated the helmsman's shoulder and spun the whole yacht through 120 degrees," according to the Observer.

Researchers say that it is not unusual for orcas, who are highly social and curious animals by nature, to follow boats or even interact with the rudder as a form of play. However, it is unnatural for them to become aggressive.

"For killer whales to take out a piece of a fiberglass rudder is crazy," Rocío Espada, who works with the marine biology laboratory at the University of Seville and has observed this population of orcas in the Gibraltar Straits for years, told the Observer. "I've seen these orcas grow from babies, I know their life stories, I've never seen or heard of attacks."

It is not known if all the encounters involve the same pod, but it is probable, said Dr. Ruth Esteban, who has also studied the Gibraltar orcas extensively. Esteban thinks it unlikely two groups would display such unusual behavior.

Espada believes that the ramming could indicate stress, which could be associated with the nets and long lines found along the Straits and the fact that the area is a major shipping route.

Gibraltar orcas are also endangered and are suffering in the food-scarce, noisy and polluted waters in the area, researchers say.

The Gibraltar Straits is one "the worst place for orcas to live," according to Ezequiel Andréu Cazalla, a cetacean researcher who also spoke to the Observer.

The only reason the orcas return to the area is that they hunt bluefin tuna, which used to be abundant in the area.

However, human fishing has caused the near-collapse of bluefin tuna, in turn leading the orca population "to the very edge, with only about 30 adults left", according to Cazalla.

Orcas are the largest of the dolphin family and can grow up 32 feet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69Last Thursday at 5:07 AM

What part of "killer" don't you understand?

by Anonymousreply 109/13/2020

Revenge of the BEAST!

by Anonymousreply 209/13/2020

they are sick of our shit. I am also.

by Anonymousreply 309/13/2020

Those aren't whales.

by Anonymousreply 409/13/2020

[quote] Espada believes that the ramming could indicate stress, which could be associated with the nets and long lines found along the Straits and the fact that the area is a major shipping route.

Derp... ya think?

by Anonymousreply 509/13/2020

Good. Maybe we should stop fucking with their oceans

by Anonymousreply 609/13/2020

Whales getting together to attack humans? Impossible! Why if they did that, mankind would be doomed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 709/13/2020

Enough is ENOUGH! Stop throwing your garbage 🗑 in my water!

by Anonymousreply 809/13/2020

A pod of 'crazy' killer whales is coming this way!

Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 909/13/2020

Get off my lawn!

by Anonymousreply 1009/13/2020

Wow, i live in Spain and i didn't heard anything about this

by Anonymousreply 1109/13/2020

Killer whales are notoriously cunty.

by Anonymousreply 1209/13/2020

But they generally don't attack humans. They are usually very curious but only dangerous to humans because they are very big so it's quite easy for them to kill a human even without intention

by Anonymousreply 1309/13/2020

[quote] Those aren't whales.

That's no moon.

by Anonymousreply 1409/13/2020

"I'm telling you now, so I don't have to tell you then."

by Anonymousreply 1509/13/2020

Told you I was hardcore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1609/13/2020

Good. Thin the heard.

by Anonymousreply 1709/13/2020

Would these whales be interested in participating in a Trump boat parade?

by Anonymousreply 1809/13/2020

What's next? Land sharks?

It's all fun and games until someone gets an eye poked out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1909/13/2020

Don't blame me.

by Anonymousreply 2009/13/2020

GET THE FUCK OUT!

by Anonymousreply 2109/13/2020

This is the only way you can get British tourists to leave. With the Germans, you can just take their sunloungers away.

by Anonymousreply 2209/13/2020

2020 is the year mother nature is saying 'ENOUGH CUNTS - PAYBACK TIME' and punishing us slowly.

Covid. Wildfires. Orca attacks. A Madonna biopic.

She's not letting us off easy. It's going to be a slow, torturous death.

by Anonymousreply 2309/13/2020

Told you I was hard core.

by Anonymousreply 2409/13/2020

R24, are you also R16?

by Anonymousreply 2509/13/2020

This is similar to cows who turn on hikers in the Alps. Sometimes they have had enough. Animals are not stupid.

by Anonymousreply 2609/13/2020

Bo Derek better watch out.

by Anonymousreply 2709/13/2020

[quote] This is similar to cows who turn on hikers in the Alps. Sometimes they have had enough. Animals are not stupid.

Is that true? Either way, I'm laughing. I just hadn't heard that.

by Anonymousreply 2809/13/2020

They're such intelligent animals! But it's an intelligence that truly cannot be tamed by man. If they want to kill you, they'll figure out a clever way to do it. You will be terrified and dying and impressed by how clever it was at the same time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2909/13/2020

R26, you weren't kidding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3009/13/2020

Why do you think they are called KILLER WHALES? Duh.

by Anonymousreply 3109/13/2020

People get stressed they lash out. Animals same.

by Anonymousreply 3209/13/2020

Stop stealing our fish and polluting our ocean

by Anonymousreply 3309/13/2020

Are you sure those are whales and not a pod of Chrissy Mertzes?

by Anonymousreply 3409/13/2020

I was going to say the same thing, r29.

[quote] But they generally don't attack humans.

They're cute, but don't mess with them.

I'm glad that times have changed, and it's no longer acceptable to hold them in captivity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3509/13/2020

Thanks for sharing, this was really interesting! I just hope no humans decide this pod is too dangerous to live and tries to do something about it. If they do try to, I'll be on the orcas' side.

by Anonymousreply 3609/13/2020

Killer Whales' Lives Matter

by Anonymousreply 37Last Tuesday at 6:02 PM

good for them, the whales are possibly smarter than us, just without opposable thumbs and a way to control fire. good that they attack us

by Anonymousreply 38Last Tuesday at 6:05 PM

Team killer whale!

by Anonymousreply 39Last Tuesday at 6:07 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40Last Tuesday at 6:08 PM

Herman Melville tried to warn us, but did we listen? No. (There is, in fact, a long history of sea mammals deliberately attacking ships).

by Anonymousreply 41Last Tuesday at 6:08 PM

I want to give them a big hug!

by Anonymousreply 42Last Tuesday at 6:13 PM

Good! I’m on the whales’ side! They’ve had quite enough of our bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 43Last Tuesday at 6:16 PM

They've heard their pod has been stranded on land, and they are desperate to get her back to the open seas!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44Last Tuesday at 6:19 PM

[quote] A pod of 'crazy' killer whales

Crazy like a fox.

They knew what they were doing.

by Anonymousreply 45Last Tuesday at 6:21 PM

Whale Team!

by Anonymousreply 46Last Tuesday at 6:23 PM

There is actually a book (and an upcoming mini series by a GoT producer) that predicts just that. The book starts with whales attacking boats and soon all kinds of sea dwellers attack humans all around the globe trying to stop them from destroying their habitat. The book and mini series is called "The Swarm" and is very good.

by Anonymousreply 47Last Tuesday at 6:23 PM

Stupid whales. The pickings are SO much better off the island of Lesbos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48Last Tuesday at 6:25 PM

Team Orca. And they are saying:

STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM US.

GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE OCEAN.

by Anonymousreply 49Last Tuesday at 6:27 PM

R17 "Thin the heard"

Oh dear...

by Anonymousreply 50Last Tuesday at 6:29 PM

I prefer R46 to R39.

by Anonymousreply 51Last Tuesday at 6:35 PM

R42 =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52Last Tuesday at 6:35 PM

ORCAS need to head to japan next.

Get 'em, orcas!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53Last Tuesday at 6:38 PM

The Simpsons warned us about the dolphins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54Last Tuesday at 6:39 PM

Dolphins are not orcas, R54.

by Anonymousreply 55Last Tuesday at 6:40 PM

[quote] Dolphins are not orcas, [R54].

Dolphins are the new orcas, R55

by Anonymousreply 56Last Tuesday at 6:42 PM

Somebody's Navy is fucking around with Sonar again. They know for example this is why many whales have " "beached" themselves in the past:

by Anonymousreply 57Last Tuesday at 6:43 PM

Land or sea, they are coming for us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58Last Tuesday at 6:47 PM

I think that the orcas were trying to do this to the humans, but were unsuccessful.

They truly are amazing creatures.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59Last Tuesday at 6:47 PM

"The sneaky way orcas hunt seals."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60Last Tuesday at 6:48 PM

Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?

by Anonymousreply 61Last Tuesday at 6:49 PM

[quote] "The sneaky way orcas hunt seals."

This tactic been on every nature show for years. Its not new or undiscovered through your YouTube wet dreams.

by Anonymousreply 62Last Tuesday at 6:52 PM

How do the orcas share the seal meat?

There's only one seal, but about six or seven orcas.

by Anonymousreply 63Last Tuesday at 6:53 PM

"Dolphins are not orcas, [R54]."

R55 But orcas are dolphins.

by Anonymousreply 64Last Tuesday at 7:02 PM

I asked my shark expert friend, who has been featured on shows and articles, of her opinion:

Orcas are no joke neither is overfishing. I'd hypothesize stress as a factor for sure. They're quite intelligent so I don't believe it to be a big stretch that they'd show aggressive behavior to food competitors.

by Anonymousreply 65Last Wednesday at 5:47 AM

When you turn a shark upside down, they freeze. Tonic Immobility

There have been instances of killer whales taking advantage of this. And they only want the livers.

by Anonymousreply 66Last Wednesday at 5:57 AM

[quote] And they only want the livers

With a nice chianti?

by Anonymousreply 67Last Wednesday at 1:30 PM

Maybe it's not an attack.

Maybe they're just trying to sail with the boats, like dolphins do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68Last Thursday at 5:03 AM

They were never going to survive unless they got a little crazy

by Anonymousreply 69Last Thursday at 5:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!