Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Medical Professionals of DL... please help..

My neighbor has a circular crusty patch on his upper leg, about 6 inches up from the knee. It’s the size of quarter, but not perfectly round.

It’s not a boil. It’s more like a shallow, pinkish crater that has some light crusting and darker red around the edges. It’s scaly, the normal skin around it is stiff and he says it feels warm sometimes and sometimes itches but not really. It’s painless.

It’s really strange looking but he is scared to death to go into a doctors office right now. Any ideas?

by Anonymousreply 57October 3, 2020 2:08 AM

The nurses on here helped me before and they perfectly diagnosed it.

So I thought I would try for him. He’s the nicest guy in the world and has done so much for others.

by Anonymousreply 1September 13, 2020 6:01 PM

Hate to say this, but that sounds like it may be a melanoma/ skin cancer. He needs to get to a doctor FAST and get it sorted before it is too late. I have no medical knowledge/training though

He needs to go to a doctor NOW

by Anonymousreply 2September 13, 2020 6:04 PM

You should... er, I mean, "your neighbor" should go to the doctor's, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3September 13, 2020 6:04 PM

I asked him if had been a bump before it turned into what it is. He said no that it was a smaller version of the same thing, started out about a dime size and now size of the quarter.

He says it seemed to appear out of nowhere.

It doesn’t look like ringworm to me. He agreed. And it’s not a perfect ring.

by Anonymousreply 4September 13, 2020 6:05 PM

Tell him to go to a pharmacy and show it and see if the pharmacist can recommend something first. Doubt it's anything serious.

by Anonymousreply 5September 13, 2020 6:05 PM

It’s impetigo.

by Anonymousreply 6September 13, 2020 6:06 PM

He is too scared to go to the pharmacy or really leave his house at all. But I will suggest it.

by Anonymousreply 7September 13, 2020 6:07 PM

Didn’t think about skin cancer. Yeah I agree I think he’s going to have to see a doc. Thanks for the suggestions.

by Anonymousreply 8September 13, 2020 6:12 PM

You’re going to have to amputate, OP.

by Anonymousreply 9September 13, 2020 6:14 PM

Um, OP, your neighbor really needs to stop being scared and go to the doctor. Every single symptom is screaming melanoma skin cancer. Irregular borders and larger than a dime sizes are hallmarks of melanoma. Tell him that he doesn't have to worry if he gets removed ASAP. The longer that it's on his skin, the longer the cancer (IF it's cancer) can spread. If he gets to it early, all he would need to do is get a biopsy where the doctor uses a device to remove the patch. That's it. Tell him how simple and fast it is, but please tell him how badly he needs to go. His life may be at stake.

by Anonymousreply 10September 13, 2020 6:21 PM

It’s likely basal cell skin cancer - not really dangerous just disfiguring. The dangerous skin cancer - melanoma - is brownish, less circular and probably would have killed him already. I have had a ton of them as I am super light skinned and burn easily.

He should have it taken out sooner rather than later. It’s not deadly. Only problem is they will have to cut it all out - so the larger it grows, the more disfiguring it will be. Very common - any very light skinned person has these removed on a regular basis as we age.

by Anonymousreply 11September 13, 2020 6:28 PM

Not ringworm?

by Anonymousreply 12September 13, 2020 6:29 PM

Over the phone appointment with his doctor, or a dermatologist?

by Anonymousreply 13September 13, 2020 6:31 PM

Try sucking on it. And around it.

by Anonymousreply 14September 13, 2020 6:32 PM

It could be something simple like impetigo OP, (though more common in kids) or something serious like basal cell carcinoma, so he'd best get it at least looked at by a professional.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 13, 2020 6:36 PM

Doctors are now interacting online, so he should schedule a Zoom meeting with his doctor and upload a photograph of the lesion.

by Anonymousreply 16September 13, 2020 6:40 PM

Seconding ringworm. Can he take a photo and upload it to one of the photo sharing sites so we can see the thing? He'll need to photograph it for the zoom doctor anyway. Google ringworm under Google images. Does it look anything like that?

by Anonymousreply 17September 13, 2020 6:43 PM

Ok well he is going to be seeing a doctor now so thank you once again DL! This place can be a life saver.

he is going to urgent care today.

by Anonymousreply 18September 13, 2020 6:45 PM

It does not look like ringworm. It’s more craterish, but very shallow. Ringworm is more convex than concave, no?

by Anonymousreply 19September 13, 2020 6:47 PM

Generally speaking non uniform lesions are likely cancerous.

by Anonymousreply 20September 13, 2020 6:49 PM

A third for ringworm. Go to pharmacy. If unidentifiable, pharmacist will suggest whether doctor is needed.

by Anonymousreply 21September 13, 2020 6:50 PM

He's going to turn into a grup, just like Louise on "Starv Trek"! The sore is the first sign!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 13, 2020 6:50 PM

My mom got these little convex things, some several millimeters and the dermatologist said they were from aging and harmless (like skin tags)

Ringworm can become inflamed and then convex.

by Anonymousreply 23September 13, 2020 6:53 PM

[quote]he is scared to death to go into a doctors office right now.

Why doesn't he make an online appointment and just use video to show it to the nurse or doc and find out whether it's something that needs urgent attention? Does he not have internet access?

by Anonymousreply 24September 13, 2020 6:58 PM

It’s concave, like craters. But very shallow.

by Anonymousreply 25September 13, 2020 7:00 PM

OP, do you promise you will come back and let us know what the doctor says?

by Anonymousreply 26September 13, 2020 7:16 PM

R16 - I second this comment. I had swelling and redness that developed suddenly on my face after a medical treatment the doc was able to diagnose it from pictures I sent. Supplied me a scrip for 7 days of antibiotics. Issue was resolved thoroughly. Have him make an Zoom appt, or have him arrange to send photos of the skin marking to the doctor.

by Anonymousreply 27September 13, 2020 7:50 PM

It’s a tumor.

by Anonymousreply 28September 13, 2020 7:59 PM

I have something similar on my leg. But it's convex so probably a hypertrophic scar. Which can form after a pimple. If it's pitted it can sometimes be cancerous.

by Anonymousreply 29September 13, 2020 8:01 PM

R28 it's naht a tumah!!

by Anonymousreply 30September 13, 2020 8:01 PM

Does it look like this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 13, 2020 8:05 PM

Can you please report back to update us?

Where do you live that he's so afraid to go out? Is the virus still bad there?

by Anonymousreply 32September 13, 2020 8:09 PM

Ok we got him to the urgent care. Only a PA on duty. She shays she is pretty sure it is fungal because it has a clear center and crusty edges.

She gave him Rx and instructed him to follow up with derm. Will update but it might be a week or so. Does the fungal thing sound right to the DL med crew?

by Anonymousreply 33September 13, 2020 9:23 PM

Is telemedicine an option?

by Anonymousreply 34September 13, 2020 9:31 PM

I think he assumed they needed to scrape something off and test it. Considering that did not happen, in hindsight, he could have used the online service afterall.

But as for the derm they will probably need to be in person to get a sample, I assume. He is taking it from here but I’m sure he will tell be the final outcome.

by Anonymousreply 35September 13, 2020 9:35 PM

Is ring worm fungal? That's what we all thought it was.

by Anonymousreply 36September 13, 2020 9:35 PM

No, it did not look like r31. I didn’t want to ask to take a pic but the cancer word was enough of a scare to get him motivated so thank you for that suggestion because that got him moving, if nothing else.

I will update after the derm not sure when that will be.

by Anonymousreply 37September 13, 2020 9:42 PM

Want to add one last thing that I really don’t think it was ringworm. It didn’t really have a ring shape to it. If I were to bet right now, I think was something else.

by Anonymousreply 38September 13, 2020 9:55 PM

OP, you are a wonderful friend. You are also a dependable DLer, and your efforts to update us are appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 39September 13, 2020 11:12 PM

Another vote for ringworm.

by Anonymousreply 40September 13, 2020 11:20 PM

Granuloma annulare

by Anonymousreply 41September 13, 2020 11:38 PM

The good news is that if it fungal OP, the med will likely clear it up very quickly. If not then he should go back and get it checked again. I'm so glad he went and had it looked at, you're a good friend.

by Anonymousreply 42September 14, 2020 12:52 AM

My learned diagnosis is that the man has erysipelas.

by Anonymousreply 43September 14, 2020 12:12 PM

As my grandmother famously said: "If that's not gone by Wednesday, I'm going to call the doctor."

by Anonymousreply 44September 14, 2020 12:15 PM

Any updates OP? Can we have his stuff?

by Anonymousreply 45September 14, 2020 11:40 PM

yes, ringworm is fungal.

by Anonymousreply 46September 15, 2020 4:20 PM

Op, can I have your neighbor's stuff?? Sounds like he won't need it much longer.

by Anonymousreply 47September 15, 2020 5:27 PM

And Team Ringworm wins again! Suck it, OP and OPs neighbor for not listening to us, and getting freaked out over fucking RINGWORM. So, what are our fabulous prizes?

I believe Team Ringworm (aka Team Fungus), are now only second behind Team Hemorrhoid for correct guesses about what ails ye.

by Anonymousreply 48September 16, 2020 12:19 AM

It's Leprosy.

by Anonymousreply 49September 16, 2020 12:53 AM

R41 for the win!!!

by Anonymousreply 50September 16, 2020 1:04 AM

OK, here is a sort of update... neighbor could not get into derm until the end of the month. Soonest available (He Is on a cancelation list, though, so fingers crossed.)

In the meantime, the fungal rx is not making it go away after 5 days of treatment. Maybe it is fungal, and the rx needs longer to work. Or maybe it’s not fungal, and the PA was wrong.

Will update after the derm and final diagnosis.

Hopefully he will get in sooner but, if not, I will update at the end of the month when he is scheduled.

by Anonymousreply 51September 18, 2020 9:44 PM

He should take a photo of it now, because the symptom might go away, but the disease might get worse,

My doctor thought this is a spider bite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52September 18, 2020 10:02 PM

Ok so it turns out it was a fungal rash after all. I would have never guessed that without the wise owls here at datalounge.

He appears to be on the mend.

by Anonymousreply 53October 2, 2020 7:51 PM

Thanks for the status update, OP

by Anonymousreply 54October 2, 2020 7:57 PM

R53 isn’t the OP, I am. I still have the rash. It appears to be a birthmark, or maybe and old scar that I only just noticed? I can’t tell.. but it’s unchanged.

by Anonymousreply 55October 3, 2020 1:18 AM

Cool story R55, except it was the OP's neighbor who had the rash.

by Anonymousreply 56October 3, 2020 1:32 AM

Oh, sorry, R55 and everybody, I messed up. I was referring to my photo in R52.

by Anonymousreply 57October 3, 2020 2:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!