Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did Cate Blanchett lie?

This isn't new and I apologize, but it's new to me and I'm surprised and very disappointed. Asked how she could reconcile being a MeToo supporter with staying silent about working with Woody Allen - the interview was done after the resurfacing of the Dylan allegations by the MeToo movement she said this:

“I don’t think I’ve stayed silent at all. At the time that I worked with Woody Allen, I knew nothing of the allegations. At the time, I said it’s a very painful and complicated situation for the family, which I hope they have the ability to resolve.”

Excuse me?! She knew nothing, a Hollywood actress since 1997? Information about the Dylan allegations has been widely published around the globe for decades. Even I know about it, and I don't even follow celebrity scandals.

At least she knew he seduced and married his partner's young daughter!

It's clear to me that she lied. Badly! I'm so disappointed. I really like her. Please console me and convince me she's a good person.

Please, no misogynistic remarks, paedo apologists and victim blamers, thanks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 14, 2020 11:25 AM

We blondes have a knack for not keeping up with the scandals of others.

by Anonymousreply 1September 13, 2020 4:10 PM

You don't badmouth your current or upcoming project.

Same with Tituss Burgess Andy Cohen tried to trick into taking a stand against his co-star Eddie Murphy in an upcoming movie on AC's show.

Hollywood doesn't forgive actors who potentially sabotage a recent project by dissing it or someone involved to the press.

by Anonymousreply 2September 13, 2020 4:13 PM

OP/Ronan, if there were ever a dead horse, it's the case you and your family keeps making against Woody Allen .

It's over--let it go.

by Anonymousreply 3September 13, 2020 4:13 PM

Blue Jasmine wasn't upcoming in 2018, R2, it's from 2013.

by Anonymousreply 4September 13, 2020 4:14 PM

I would say she had a vague idea but cared more about the role, prestige and her career. It became more of an issue later which is not her fault.

by Anonymousreply 5September 13, 2020 4:17 PM

Cate - and all the other actors who worked with Allen - knew what he’d been accused of and that it came during an acrimonious divorce battle and that he’d never been charged.

They knew he’d married his former partner’s daughter, who he met when she was a kid, and it was unpleasant but not illegal.

They knew Mia Farrow was batshit crazy and very bitter and was also a friend and supporter of convicted child rapist Roman Polanski.

And they knew he’d give them a great part which could probably get them some awards.

by Anonymousreply 6September 13, 2020 4:17 PM

She received her second Oscar from Daniel Day-Lewis, to which she replied that he giving her the award 'exacerbates this honour', which doesn't make sense at all, because it would mean that Day-Lewis' attendance decreased her Oscar glory. Even I immediately picked up on that at the time. Well, Australia was never known to be an intellectual hotbed.

by Anonymousreply 7September 13, 2020 4:17 PM

Why do people want to blame actors for the misdeeds of directors or producers? They usually have a very distant relationship and are not involved in their families or affairs.

by Anonymousreply 8September 13, 2020 4:20 PM

R7, I think she meant that it made the honour even greater.

by Anonymousreply 9September 13, 2020 4:20 PM

The police didn't arrest Woody Allen and the district attorney didn't charge him, so why should Cate Blanchett be a prosecutor and prosecute the old lecher?

OP/Ronan should let it go and concentrate on his homo relationship though as Dylan is old enough to take care of herself now.

by Anonymousreply 10September 13, 2020 4:21 PM

Well, R8, it's like Trump - he associates with a type of people. Kim Jong Un, Putin, Epstein. It reveals an unscrupolous and indifferent character at best, a similar personality at worst. Similarly, knowingly working with an almost certainly abusive pedophile is saying that she is willing to close her eyes and support him. She even named her son after Roman Polanski! And you all go after Meryl for applauding him.

by Anonymousreply 11September 13, 2020 4:24 PM

But working with someone is not endorsing their private behavior. If that were the case, movies would never be made.

by Anonymousreply 12September 13, 2020 4:26 PM

Would you accept a joint project in your line of work with someone of Woody's reputation? I wouldn't.

Besides, Cate is/was huge on the MeToo support so it comes off as more than a little hypocritical.

by Anonymousreply 13September 13, 2020 4:30 PM

A very random thread, clearly the OP is obsessed Cate Blanchett. Some have been trying to cancel her for 5 years now and none of it is sticking. Better come up with a new campaign.

She may be a hypocrite but she does have some integrity and thats why she is respected within industry by all sides, METOO or not.

by Anonymousreply 14September 13, 2020 4:37 PM

I'm not trying to cancel her, I like her and I just saw this so I'm upset. Don't take it so seriously. I just want to talk about it. If you don't - don't.

by Anonymousreply 15September 13, 2020 4:40 PM

Actually, R7, it’s you who doesn’t understand the meaning of “exacerbate”.

by Anonymousreply 16September 13, 2020 4:44 PM

[quote] a Hollywood actress since 1997?

She is from Australia and spent most of her time working in that country and the UK

The first film she made in American was in 1999 "Pushing Tin" - so maybe she only heard about it in passing

Not everybody reads the National Enquirer or watches Hard Copy everyday

by Anonymousreply 17September 13, 2020 4:45 PM

R16 But English is not my first language, so I am exempt from any criticism! And an American - so I presume - commented on exactly that choice of words back in the day on datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 18September 13, 2020 4:47 PM

What do you want her to do? Return her Oscar and spend five years in solitary confinement?

by Anonymousreply 19September 13, 2020 4:50 PM

R17 and I am Bulgarian and I'd heard about it over a decade ago, so...

by Anonymousreply 20September 13, 2020 4:50 PM

[quote] I am Bulgarian and I'd heard about it over a decade ago, so...

yes but you watch Entertainment Tonight every night, while someone like Cate is learning her lines for a play instead of watching Entertainment Tonight

by Anonymousreply 21September 13, 2020 4:52 PM

I don't even know what Entertainment Tonight is, lol! Wow, Cate learning lines day and night, no time for anything else in the world - that's a charming image, actually.

by Anonymousreply 22September 13, 2020 4:54 PM

No, r18, you were right. 'Exacerbate' was used incorrectly by Cate.

by Anonymousreply 23September 13, 2020 8:52 PM

She was greedy and wanted that second Oscar. Who cares about rape allegations when you've got a golden statue in your grasp?

by Anonymousreply 24September 13, 2020 8:56 PM

I'm another famous director and I had never heard of Woody Allen's allegation until I set foot on DL!!!

Woody Allen hasn't been on the tip of everyone' tongue since the 1980s, unlike someone famous!!!

by Anonymousreply 25September 13, 2020 8:58 PM

This article is from 2018 and Blue Jasmine came out 5 years before that. Zzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 26September 13, 2020 9:12 PM

When you work for a boss, do you have to love them? We've all had bosses or people above us who were pieces of shit, but we muddled through it because maybe it was a good pay day or the hours were good. You don't have to love everyone you work with.

by Anonymousreply 27September 13, 2020 9:33 PM

[quote]Please, no misogynistic remarks, paedo apologists and victim blamers, thanks.

"Please, I'm so emotionally fragile and unable to cope with anyone saying anything that I don't like or disagrees with me that I cannot handle comments that are not in complete agreement with me. At the same time, I felt I MUST post on DL."

There, fixed it for you.

by Anonymousreply 28September 13, 2020 9:46 PM

This pedo sure has a lot of fangurls on here.

by Anonymousreply 29September 13, 2020 9:51 PM

I'm so sick of this conceited cunt. I never watch anything with her in it anymore.

Forgot to list her on Most Insufferable Celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 30September 13, 2020 9:58 PM

A lot of posters are exactly mirroring how abused kids are treated by their families when they spill the beans.

"Oh, no, not Uncle Bert! Honey, what is wrong with YOU?"

by Anonymousreply 31September 13, 2020 9:59 PM

OP, get over yourself. Instead of going after people who have had nothing to do with rape/assault, especially of children, maybe you should track down Mia and Ronan to ask them the same question about lying. And then ask them why they consistently fail to disclose the real sexual abuse, which is on the Farrow side of the family.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 13, 2020 10:15 PM

What does an actress in a film have to do with Woody Allen’s personal life? What about Alec Baldwin who was also in the movie? Is he also to blame? You sexist QAnon types are the worst.

by Anonymousreply 33September 13, 2020 10:39 PM

Who cares about Alec Baldwin?! Nobody is under any illusion that he's an okay person or even sane.

by Anonymousreply 34September 13, 2020 10:44 PM

You completely missed the point.

by Anonymousreply 35September 13, 2020 10:47 PM

OP, just let the whole fucking Woody Allen thing go already. It’s so FUCKING BORING!

10x worse things happened to the cast of Cuties than was ever even alleged to have happen to fucking Dylan Farrow! Tom Brady commits more abusive acts to his children on his Instagram than ever allegedly happened to that fucking little lying brainwashed bitch Dylan Farrow. I’M SO FUCKING SICK OF HEARING ABOUT THIS BITCH!

SHE DIDN’T EVEN GET FINGERED FFS! YOU KNOW WHAT’S ABUSIVE AND HARD TO GET OVER, DYLAN?!! VAGINAL CIRCUMCISION - AND IT DIDN’T HAPPEN TO YOU, YA FUCKING PROFESSIONAL VICTIM!! FUCK OFF!!

by Anonymousreply 36September 13, 2020 10:48 PM

R2 is right -- talking about or badmouthing your current costars or the project itself while in production or while promoting it will see you suddenly become "difficult to cast." Remember Katherine Heigl? Thora Birch? I've seen others, too. Do your part, be part of the team, and when the time comes, go on Graham Norton and express sadness that a particular film didn't work.

by Anonymousreply 37September 13, 2020 11:17 PM

R36, apart from being a vile human being, you're a prime example of someone relying on the fallacy of relative privation.

Besides, why are you (and others here) so hell-bent on denying Allen's guilt? This isn't even the topic of conversation here. Do the accusations strike too close to home? Don't bother to respond, I'm blocking you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 13, 2020 11:17 PM

It's time to Cancel Cate.

by Anonymousreply 39September 13, 2020 11:25 PM

OK, so "exacerbate" means to make a problem or bad situation worse. Maybe she was thinking that the situation would be difficult because she'd have to address the then-swirling controversy around Allen. Many were expecting a strong statement from her. But the context of the remark certainly makes it sound as if receiving it from Day-Lewis expands the honor because he is revered -- or at least greatly admired -- by actors. She does greet him warmly, though I would too to anyone handing me an Oscar. The odd thing to me is that she thanks him while looking to her right, yet he is clearly standing to her left. I'm trying to make this work for Cate, but it appears that she did mean to say that his presentation was the icing on the cake. I'll give it to her as I can't even imagine how nerve-racking it must be to get up there.

by Anonymousreply 40September 13, 2020 11:27 PM

she lied. dumb question to her. le snore.

by Anonymousreply 41September 13, 2020 11:35 PM

I didn’t realize it only applied to the negative...what would be the correct word? Amplify? Compounds?

by Anonymousreply 42September 14, 2020 12:08 AM

What did you expect her to say? “I’d heard about Dylan but a court of law ruled there was no evidence. So it was no concern of mine andI happily took the part. I have absolutely no regrets because I won an Oscar. Now please, fuck off with these stupid questions about Woody Allen.”

by Anonymousreply 43September 14, 2020 12:19 AM

R14 She's actually quite disliked by other actors. Sure they'll respect her acting chops but she's ruffled a lot of feathers with her award speech gaffs, her pap whoring during Hoffman's death, and that time she tried to pretend Variety was full of shit when they accurately reported what she said.

by Anonymousreply 44September 14, 2020 12:28 AM

R44, can you elaborate a bit about other actors' sentiments towards her? This is actually interesting. Any particular examples?

by Anonymousreply 45September 14, 2020 12:57 AM

I met someone who was a neighbour of hers in Australia, and says she's amazing. And besides I like her movies.

by Anonymousreply 46September 14, 2020 1:03 AM

More details please, R46! What stories does your acquaintance tell about her?

by Anonymousreply 47September 14, 2020 1:12 AM

Who are these actors that allegedly dislike two-time Oscar winner Cate Blanchett? I call BS

by Anonymousreply 48September 14, 2020 3:44 AM

The story around "Cuties":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 14, 2020 4:56 AM

Please ff pedo troll @ R49 because I can't.

by Anonymousreply 50September 14, 2020 7:54 AM

Yeah, Cate Blanchett keeps getting nominated for every industry award everytime she merely shows up on a screen because her colleagues dislike her.

by Anonymousreply 51September 14, 2020 8:00 AM

R50: I'm only posting the New York Times link because R36 (you?) mentioned this French movie in their messy, convoluted post. I (and, I'm sure, other DLers) had never heard of it, so I'm posting a link for reference.

How that makes me a "pedo troll" is something only a disturbed mind like you would know. Enough with the baseless kneejerk reactions.

by Anonymousreply 52September 14, 2020 8:14 AM

Sorry then, R52. I wish people didn't give any more publicity to this truly VILE movie though. Its thread had me despairing for humanity and the DL. Sadly, DL doesn't allow me to write swearwords anymore.

by Anonymousreply 53September 14, 2020 8:50 AM

Cate Blanchett is a goddess. She can do no wrong!! Leave her alone.

by Anonymousreply 54September 14, 2020 8:56 AM

I had no idea there'd been a thread here already, R53 (I didn't bother doing a search). Anyway, apology accepted, of course. I suppose everyone on DL gets called a "pedo troll" at least once, and for me this was the first time in my 15 years here, so not too bad.

by Anonymousreply 55September 14, 2020 9:02 AM

Cate Blanchett is so self-absorbed that I can completely believe that she didn't know about the Woody Allen allegations. She is a hideous person and look at her recently spreading COVID around in Venice. The husband is even worse.

They were running the Sydney Theatre Company when Geoffrey Rush was sexually assaulting young actresses. When that scandal came to light Blanchett and hubby pissed off out of Australia. Very typical.

by Anonymousreply 56September 14, 2020 9:10 AM

I'm not aware of any proof supporting the allegations against Rush, R56. Of all the MeToo stories, this one seemed the most inflated. I support MeToo very much but this one didn't ring true.

by Anonymousreply 57September 14, 2020 10:23 AM

Rush's case isn't the best example to use against Blanchett. Try again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58September 14, 2020 10:26 AM

R57 & R58 Talk to Yael Stone. She did a lengthy interview on Australian television making allegations about Geoffrey Rush's behaviour. He never tried to sue her......I wonder why.

And he didn't sue the young actress in the article in The Guardian because she never spoke publicly about it. He sued News Corp for publishing the 'story'. I believe the story, however I don't believe that News Corp should have published it, more so for the victim that sleazy Rush.

If Rush is so saintly and innocent why doesn't he sue Yael Stone?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59September 14, 2020 10:34 AM

Oh no! I've been blocked by R38! It's like there's been a shift in the force!

People who announced that they're blocking somebody and then flounce off are insufferable.

To think R38 - I NEVER would've known if you hadn't TOLD ME!!! I'm absolutely CRUSHED by this development!

by Anonymousreply 60September 14, 2020 11:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!