Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

More than a dozen Georgia families buy land to create safe city for people of color

A group of 19 Black families in Georgia has purchased nearly 97 acres of land to create a “safe haven for people of color,” CNN reported Saturday.

The land, which was purchased by the families in August, is located just east of Macon in rural Wilkinson County, Ga. The purchase was organized by the Freedom Georgia Initiative, a group that co-founder and Vice President Ashley Scott said is necessary to promote a strong community among Blacks following the civil unrest prompted by the killings of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery and Breonna Taylor.

“Watching our people protesting in the streets, while it is important, and I want people to stay out in the streets, bringing attention to the injustices of Black people. We needed to create a space and a place where we could be a village, again, a tribe, again," Scott told CNN.

The group intends to create a new city on the land and name it “Freedom Georgia.” Scott said that while the city is not meant to be for Blacks exclusively, it will be “pro-Black in every way.”

"Being able to create a community that is thriving, that is safe, that has agriculture and commercial businesses that are supporting one another and that dollars circulating in our community, that is our vision,” Scott said.

The land is located just 130 miles south of Atlanta, where a police officer fatally shot 27-year-old Black man Rayshard Brooks in June after Brooks grabbed the officer’s stun gun and attempted to flee. Officer Garrett Rolfe was charged on 11 counts, including felony murder and aggravated assault.

Rolfe was fired from the police department the next day, prompting him to later file a lawsuit against the mayor and city’s police department, arguing that his dismissal was carried out "without an investigation, without proper notice, without a pre-disciplinary hearing, and in direct violation of the municipal code of the City of Atlanta."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164September 17, 2020 3:18 AM

So segregation is going to happen again?

by Anonymousreply 1September 13, 2020 3:21 PM

Hopefully white people won't burn it down.

by Anonymousreply 2September 13, 2020 3:22 PM

There is already a Baltimore.

by Anonymousreply 3September 13, 2020 3:25 PM

Will they stop killing each other?

by Anonymousreply 4September 13, 2020 3:27 PM

Ten years from now, it won't be any different to Compton, Indianapolis, Chicago, or Atlanta.

by Anonymousreply 5September 13, 2020 3:27 PM

THEY need to be safe from whites???? Blacks commit the majority of violent crimes against other blacks and non-blacks, but okay. Yeah. Sure.

by Anonymousreply 6September 13, 2020 3:27 PM

It's not that much different than a gayborhood. The idea is startling, this AA neighborhood, and the thought that maybe this is the direction we're all going in. Or the direction we'll need to go in to be safe in the future.

I know that sounds dystopian, but we're on a very slippery slope with these lunatic Republicans and where they're taking the U.S.

Yes, I'm having a bad day. I'll go get under the covers, now.

by Anonymousreply 7September 13, 2020 3:30 PM

will they pay taxes to fund their own city?

by Anonymousreply 8September 13, 2020 3:35 PM

"I know that sounds dystopian, but we're on a very slippery slope with these lunatic Republicans and where they're taking the U.S."

Oh. I didn't realize it was people on the Right burning down buildings, vandalizing property belonging to other people, assaulting people in restaurants, and just plain terrorizing communities. The Left needs to look at itself in the mirror and start realizing what it's become.

by Anonymousreply 9September 13, 2020 3:36 PM

And I have pointed this out before, but white males are shot by police 2 times more than black males.

by Anonymousreply 10September 13, 2020 3:40 PM

Self segregation. This is so poorly thought out.

by Anonymousreply 11September 13, 2020 3:43 PM

Certain people of color are drunk with power at the moment. What they don’t realize is that they are a tiny minority group. If gay people pulled this shit, we would still have no rights. But keep on BLM, you only have yourself to blame when the other shoe drops.

by Anonymousreply 12September 13, 2020 3:43 PM

Street names to include Martin Luther King Jr Drive, Oprah Winfrey Road, Aretha Franklin Avenue, Barack Obama Boulevard and John Lewis Terrace.

by Anonymousreply 13September 13, 2020 4:04 PM

If Biden doesn't win, Nov. 4th is going to be a very sad day for African-Americans. And cold.

by Anonymousreply 14September 13, 2020 4:16 PM

This is not different from West Hollywood or Chelsea or Boystown in the 1970s-1980s. Grt over your racist selves as you flock together for drinks in Hells Kitchen or spend the weekend on Fire Island

by Anonymousreply 15September 13, 2020 4:22 PM

R14 It doesn't matter who wins, America is fucked. Even for faggots like yourself.

by Anonymousreply 16September 13, 2020 4:51 PM

R15 knows what's up! I really can't believe how many self-absorbed racist gays are commenting here.

Black people & other minority groups used to have many communities like this & they were important places. Hilarious that we ignore how we've done the same thing & created our own safe & empowering spaces. This is why we'll never get to a better place in this country: minority groups shitting on each other.

by Anonymousreply 17September 13, 2020 4:57 PM

this sounds like the handmaid's tale with a dark tan

by Anonymousreply 18September 13, 2020 5:03 PM

This is exactly why people look at gay white men they way they do, because they always expose themselves. You may be "gay" but your definitely not a minority. You are still a white man and still think and act like a white man.

Your just "gay." Your still the same as deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 19September 13, 2020 5:04 PM

We have China town, immigrants have their own communities, so does Italians and Mexicans.

But people are upset about this?

The story of America.

by Anonymousreply 20September 13, 2020 5:06 PM

R19 at least I know the difference between your and you’re hunty. You won’t brand me a white devil in this country. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 21September 13, 2020 5:06 PM

R21 It still applies to you.

by Anonymousreply 22September 13, 2020 5:10 PM

R6/10, do provide legitimate stats to prove your point. And by "legitimate", I don't mean OAN, Fox News, Reddit, some Q-Anon site, or the like. Your simply stating it means nothing.

We're waiting....

by Anonymousreply 23September 13, 2020 5:12 PM

R16 R19 R20 R22, your low IQ and low impulse control is showing.

by Anonymousreply 24September 13, 2020 5:14 PM

Good for them. They need to do what they need to do. Ultimately it's going to have to be black peopl who solve the problems within their own communities that have been plaguing them. Of course, there are outside factors that need to change that can get in the way of their growth, but there are a lot of internal systemic problems that they as a community need to figure out. I like that these people are doing something.

by Anonymousreply 25September 13, 2020 5:27 PM

R16 is a vile piece of shit and should be F&F’d the fuck out of here.

I’ll never understand why we tolerate scumbags like this who come on a gay board and call us faggots and people don’t smash that F&F button.

by Anonymousreply 26September 13, 2020 5:32 PM

Just block the R16s of the world

by Anonymousreply 27September 13, 2020 5:42 PM

But when white people want to create a white state or county they are vilified as "supremacists".

by Anonymousreply 28September 13, 2020 5:48 PM

It's a good idea but they are doing it on ethnically-cleansed Native American land, and probably with white tax money. Will they stop accepting federal welfare benefits there? If they were serious about being self-sufficient and being far away from whites, they would buy land in a good part of Africa, like Ghana.

by Anonymousreply 29September 13, 2020 5:54 PM

R23 here's some crime stats for you, if you can manage it. pro tip: the stats are relative to population. For example, when they say that murder is committed by 53.0 percent were Black or African American, 44.4 percent were White, and 2.6 percent were of other races, their population is relative to the stats. If Black people are 13 percent of the population, their stats relative to their population should be 13 percent or less, and yet, they are committing 53 percent of the murder in the country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 13, 2020 6:01 PM

Apparently they're unaware of laws that prevent discrimination in housing. Are they planning to deny any non-black people from living there?

by Anonymousreply 31September 13, 2020 6:07 PM

R26 Yeah, and you turn a blind eye to all of the nasty racism on this thread too. But your upset because people retaliate against the nasty vicious comments on this thread.

You better call both sides out, otherwise you are a hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 32September 13, 2020 6:09 PM

R31 Please tell that to all if those co-OP broads up and down fifth and park Avenue etc.

They discriminate legally all the time. But that doesn't fit the narrative, does it?

by Anonymousreply 33September 13, 2020 6:11 PM

Many gays leave their home towns to move to places where they know they can safely live their lives as they are and excel in life. If I were black, I would move to Atlanta. I feel like ATL is the most black friendly, cosmopolitan area with actual gorgeous neighborhoods filled with McMansions and golf courses that are predominately black. I'd build my own Chateau Share and live the good life.

by Anonymousreply 34September 13, 2020 6:16 PM

[quote] But your upset because people retaliate against the nasty vicious comments on this thread.

Show me one post—just one—where anyone threw out a slur against anybody and I’ll be glad to F&F them too.

I’ll wait.

by Anonymousreply 35September 13, 2020 6:17 PM

R35 I'm talking about the racist nastiness on thus thread. The racial insinuations of a group of people that are trying to create something for them.

Why the fuck, are posting FBI statistics on this thread? Gay white men love to talk about "community" but are quick to throw "others" under the bus as soon as they feel they have the chance to do so.

Gay white men are no different than straight white men. Everything is conditional you people. That exactly why this country is about to fall.

by Anonymousreply 36September 13, 2020 6:25 PM

If their idea is well intended then I say good for them. I hope this doesn't end up another fiasco like the Nuwaubian Nation Of Moors, a 100% black Egyptian style village set up by people on land they bought near Eatonton, Ga. many years ago. Their "leader" Dwight York was eventually arrested and convicted of child sexual abuse and will never get out of prison. And that was the beginning of the end of that "town".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 13, 2020 6:27 PM

[quote]Yeah, and you turn a blind eye to all of the nasty racism on this thread too. But your upset because people retaliate against the nasty vicious comments on this thread.

What nasty vicious comments on this thread? You mean the comments that black people commit more violent crime than any other race? Or that black on black crime is an epidemic in black communities? Those are facts, R32. Just because these facts make you uncomfortable, it doesn't mean that it's racist. Are we really getting to a point where black people believe that any constructive criticism is just racism?

by Anonymousreply 38September 13, 2020 6:30 PM

Geez, people. At the most basic level, it's about feeling safe. I'm not sure it's the smartest idea long term, but as a gay man, I sure understand it.

by Anonymousreply 39September 13, 2020 6:32 PM

R38 do you think the state of black America is organic or intentional at the hands of the state?

Because when you systematically starve a group of people of resources they need to better themselves and it's on purpose, you end up with a big shit show shitfest, and that's exactly what's happened. People turn to violence and crime, because it's all they know. Some people any.

This is not an accident, this is intentional at the hands of the state. Black people have never had a fair shake in America, and most white people know this, even if they won't admit it.

by Anonymousreply 40September 13, 2020 6:37 PM

R36 is the black version of a Boogaloo Boy. He earnestly believes that black people are about to rise up and overthrow white people, who are weak-willed and crippled by their evil nature.

Oh, honey. White people have been waging wars for thousands of years. We're awfully good at it. I wouldn't start anything you can't finish.

by Anonymousreply 41September 13, 2020 6:42 PM

Wow, this thread has the most unapologetically racist responses that I've seen in a while (about two weeks) on DL.

I say good for them, and it's true that there is a lot of historical precedent for intentional communities, whether "race"-based or not. Anyone who has a problem with these families doing what they believe they need to must be extremely bitter. Is it a free country or not? If you have so much against black people, why do you care where they go?

by Anonymousreply 42September 13, 2020 6:49 PM

R41 Who said anything about war? I will say this though. White people believe themselves to be invincible and almighty.

Everyone can fall, and not every white person will be on your side either. But your right about one thing, whites are definitely animalistic and because of that, they will never truly have internal peace. I guess that explains the constant paranoia hou people suffer from. Always scared your about to lose something so you go reaching for the guns. Without those guns you'd be lost.

And you've basically

by Anonymousreply 43September 13, 2020 6:51 PM

When you demonize all white people as racist, yes you will face a backlash. Many of us have fought for the rights of LGBT people of ALL colors for years and now we are the problem? Smh

by Anonymousreply 44September 13, 2020 6:55 PM

[quote] Just lynch the R16s of the world

Fixed.

by Anonymousreply 45September 13, 2020 6:59 PM

One more thing, white society could fall in less then 24 hours. It would be so easy to bring the western world to its knees. Please do not underestimate how much destruction and damage could be done in the snap of a finger.

Thinking white people are invincible because they have guns and "run" the show is how a lot of people throughout history have ended up fucked,without a way back.

You see what's going on in half the country with these wild fires. Please do not ever underestimate a group of vulnerable people. History has been filled with upsets and surprises. And it's not just black people with an axe to grind.

White people are truly hated more then you realize. This ain't the 50s anymore. And people don't give a fuck about dying to prove a point. This country is really about to unravel and everyone's grievances are rising to the top.

This is a lot deeper than race.

by Anonymousreply 46September 13, 2020 7:00 PM

R46, go HANG around somewhere else, you homophobic freak show.

by Anonymousreply 47September 13, 2020 7:02 PM

Black heterosexual Gentiles will gladly pull the race card to justify their anti-Semitism and homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 48September 13, 2020 7:03 PM

R44 Tell that to white society who have demonized black people in America from day one. You act like black people have done something to you?

But history says otherwise.

R45 is a great example of why gay white men are exactly like straight white men. You all have the exact same animalistic mindset. Everything is about lynching.

You really are the same.

by Anonymousreply 49September 13, 2020 7:03 PM

The only way I will support this idea is if you put a big sign on the city limits that says “no Italians.“

by Anonymousreply 50September 13, 2020 7:05 PM

R48 Black people don't pull the race card, it's been a reality for centuries at the hands of white people.

White people have been playing the race card for the last 400 years plus if you wanna talk about the race card my friend.

White people invented the race card and have trafficked in it for centuries.

by Anonymousreply 51September 13, 2020 7:06 PM

R49 is why gays can’t be racist no matter what we say and do. Racism equals power plus privilege, and frankly, my dear, black heterosexual gentiles have that power and have had it for quite some time.

by Anonymousreply 52September 13, 2020 7:07 PM

Gosh, I guess the real tragedy of this situation is that the GOOD white people aren't getting the thanks and recognition they deserve!

by Anonymousreply 53September 13, 2020 7:09 PM

R48 Yeah, because jew and gays are perfect. Right?

Just look at all of the scandals Hollywood jews are caught up in at the moment. And this site is filled daily with racism and misogyny coming from gay men, specifically gay white men.

You better come up with something better.

by Anonymousreply 54September 13, 2020 7:09 PM

Anti-gay bigotry is incitement to retaliatory lynching.

Oh, and Jews are not white, motherfucker, so you’re extremely racist for saying so.

by Anonymousreply 55September 13, 2020 7:09 PM

Gay white male lives matter more than that of every heterosexual of every race put together.

by Anonymousreply 56September 13, 2020 7:10 PM

This town better have at least two gay bars and three synagogues otherwise it is an illegitimate shit hole whose existence constitutes white supremacy in blackface.

by Anonymousreply 57September 13, 2020 7:11 PM

Post nonsense when you can't defend the argument at hand.

Looking at you R52 R55 and R56.

by Anonymousreply 58September 13, 2020 7:12 PM

Speaking of safe places for people of color, why don't you run along back to LSA, Mr. "Startin' a Race War With Whitey"?

by Anonymousreply 59September 13, 2020 7:12 PM

R57 Tell that to Chinatown as well as the little Italy's that exist as well.

This town has really hit a nerve I see, and it hasn't even been developed yet. I completely understand how white burned down black wallstreet now. They really do hate the idea of black people being independent of them.

by Anonymousreply 60September 13, 2020 7:15 PM

R58/R60 is more proof of why it is homophobic to call gays racist. It is also a means of projecting the psychotic behavior of heterosexuals onto gay people in order to blame us for our own ongoing oppression at their hands.

by Anonymousreply 61September 13, 2020 7:18 PM

Jews.

Are.

People.

Of.

Color.

Anyone.

Who.

Denies.

This.

Is.

A.

Racist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62September 13, 2020 7:19 PM

White people show their fear at every turn. So much for calling yourselves the master race.

by Anonymousreply 63September 13, 2020 7:20 PM

Good thing black people don't consider themselves people of color.

Just black.

by Anonymousreply 64September 13, 2020 7:22 PM

People of color typically mean immigrants or brown people. But not blacks.

Black is a solid entity on to its self.

by Anonymousreply 65September 13, 2020 7:23 PM

R63/R64/R65 is going to deserve what he gets if he does not stop projecting his own racism onto gay white men, who are by far the least racist and most enlightened whites.

by Anonymousreply 66September 13, 2020 7:24 PM

R63, "we" don't call ourselves the master race. That was Hitler. He's been dead and discredited for a long time.

But, crazy as he was, he was a good example of Europeans' aptitude for savage, scorched-earth wars. Again, please be careful what you wish for.

by Anonymousreply 67September 13, 2020 7:26 PM

So, the message here is that segregation is a GOOD thing. I wish them luck and hope they can build more of these.

by Anonymousreply 68September 13, 2020 7:27 PM

R67 FDR said it too. And you keep proving my point with your last statement.

White people will never repent. They leave ruin everywhere and never bother to clean up what they destroyed.

But keep it up.

by Anonymousreply 69September 13, 2020 7:29 PM

Everything white Americans learned about racism they learned by watching their European ancestors. That’s why I laugh with contempt at any claim that Europeans are more sophisticated than Americans. Xenophobic anti-American word salads do not constitute wit, insight, or superiority. In fact, it’s just another way of making racism look hip.

by Anonymousreply 70September 13, 2020 7:29 PM

Here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 13, 2020 7:30 PM

R69, a lot of white racists will not be sorry to see you go because you will be giving them everything you ever wanted.

by Anonymousreply 72September 13, 2020 7:30 PM

R68 America was never desegregated in the first fucking place.

Have you ever heard of country clubs etc?

Jim crow is stronger than ever.

by Anonymousreply 73September 13, 2020 7:31 PM

Everything THEY ever wanted, I mean.

by Anonymousreply 74September 13, 2020 7:31 PM

The degree of white supremacist racism expressed on here is beyond unsettling. Some gays Here might as well be Boogaloo Boys with what they feel and express here.

by Anonymousreply 75September 13, 2020 7:33 PM

R73 We know. Well, it is nice to know it's a good thing after all. May they have much success.

by Anonymousreply 76September 13, 2020 7:33 PM

R74 I'm not going anywhere, this community isn't for me. I'm successful and white people kiss my ass every day in the field I work in.

If only you knew,LOL.

by Anonymousreply 77September 13, 2020 7:34 PM

R69, when did FDR say that? Googling only turns up this quote from him:

[quote]At a White House Correspondent's Dinner in March of 1941, Roosevelt said, "We believe that the rallying cry of the dictators, their boasting about a master-race, will prove to be pure stuff and nonsense. There never has been, there isn't now, and there never will be, any race of people on the earth fit to serve as masters over their fellow men."

Making up quotes doesn't help your cause at all, my friend. Besides, as Malcolm X said, "I am a proud and ravenous bottom, who loves to gorge myself on my white master's juices."

by Anonymousreply 78September 13, 2020 7:34 PM

You can be sister cities with that all-white town Oprah went to when she was still fat.

by Anonymousreply 79September 13, 2020 7:36 PM

R78 FDR made a comment about the master race at a Mount Rushmore event during his presidency. It was in the Ken burns documentary.

Go look it up, it's on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 80September 13, 2020 7:37 PM

Glad to see people building something peacefully for once. They don't seem to be aware of what ends up happening with most hippie communes, but it'll still be worth it for them to try.

by Anonymousreply 81September 13, 2020 7:38 PM

Blacks exclusive = racism

by Anonymousreply 82September 13, 2020 7:38 PM

Christ. Some of these comments. It must be so demoralizing to read all of the racist garbage online. I'm white and it feels terrible to me. I can't imagine being black.

by Anonymousreply 83September 13, 2020 7:39 PM

R23 Black people have been committing crimes for a very long time.

W.E.B Du Bois had this to say:

“In the city of Philadelphia the increasing number of bold and daring crimes committed by Negroes [since 1890] has focused the city on this subject. There is a widespread feeling that something is wrong with a race that is responsible for so much crime, and that strong remedies are called for. One has but to visit the corridors of the public buildings, when the courts are in session, to realize the part played in law-breaking by the Negro.”

The Philadelphia Negro – 1898 (pg. 241)

by Anonymousreply 84September 13, 2020 7:39 PM

R82 White invented exclusivity.

by Anonymousreply 85September 13, 2020 7:40 PM

R84 And yet, that bigger turned a blind eye to white violence.

Fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 86September 13, 2020 7:41 PM

I meant nigger.

by Anonymousreply 87September 13, 2020 7:42 PM

Here come the Jussie Smollets of Datalounge at R86 and R87.

by Anonymousreply 88September 13, 2020 7:44 PM

[quote] I can't imagine being black.

It’s easy if you try.

by Anonymousreply 89September 13, 2020 7:47 PM

As a social experiment - why not try it - things could turn out just fine if not great. Maybe it will lead to insights on how we can live with acceptance.

by Anonymousreply 90September 13, 2020 7:59 PM

Gay males, whose first instinct is to scream racism, are not concerned with black people. Maybe they know someone black, but it’s not the ones responsible for the disproportionate percentage of crime committed by blacks. Fellow gays who’ve had the good fortune of living their adult years from the 90s to now are aware of the propensity among the gay male population of putting on airs amongst ourselves. It sucks. It can vary to some degree from one gay male to the next, but it happens nonetheless. These families with this much money to be able to buy 97 acres aren’t the dangerous blacks who make local and national news for their crimes. They may have realized though that self segregation is the best answer to the problems that plague the black population in general. First, raise the kids where they’re not influenced by pop culture, which glorifies the black criminal. Also, keep them away from whites (remove the sense of being a minority constantly being compared to the majority). I could go deeper, but really this is just Datalounge, No point in going any deeper. I hope people get the point.

P.S: I have the misfortune of living among poor-working class blacks. It’s depressing. Just report to management (apartment complexes) or call the police as soon as soon as is feasible. My experience is they won’t be talked to. They want to live among whites but don’t want to lift themselves up to help maintain the places they live. They’ll bring the people around them down and soon ghetto-ize the are. I’ve experienced multiple times over the last ten years 😞

by Anonymousreply 91September 13, 2020 8:04 PM

I really hope it works out as well. In fact, I feel safer already.

by Anonymousreply 92September 13, 2020 8:05 PM

I hope they don't put a McDonald's in this "safe city".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93September 13, 2020 8:13 PM

Will Rachel Dolezal be the president?

by Anonymousreply 94September 13, 2020 8:20 PM

I wonder what the first fight will be about? How are they paying for the infrastructure...roads, sewers, sidewalks? What's their capitalization? Is it a collective, or does everyone get their own deeded parcel of land? Who determines the laws, and how to enforce them?

I give it five years or less, and it won't end well.

by Anonymousreply 95September 13, 2020 8:29 PM

I hope they don’t criminalize being gay!

by Anonymousreply 96September 13, 2020 10:03 PM

The KKK prefers certain groups to be contained in specific areas. It requires less travel time to burn crosses and perform lynchings.

by Anonymousreply 97September 14, 2020 12:58 AM

[quote]The KKK prefers certain groups to be contained in specific areas. It requires less travel time to burn crosses and perform lynchings.

The KKK are still burning crosses and performing lynchings?

by Anonymousreply 98September 14, 2020 1:47 AM

I hope this works out for them truly but with 19 different families there's bound to be a few nut cases or someone with a power trip or a personality disorder. But not much different than digging out a culdisac and a bunch of white people move in. It's the buying it together that's the kicker

by Anonymousreply 99September 14, 2020 2:00 AM

"Being able to create a community that is thriving, that is safe, that has agriculture and commercial businesses that are supporting one another and that dollars circulating in our community, that is our vision,” Scott said.

If this....lab experiment...is ever created and that's a BIG 'IF" what's going to be the "over/under" on days until the:

1. first "shots fired" call comes into 9-1-1

2. first shooting

3. first murder

by Anonymousreply 100September 14, 2020 2:07 AM

I’m not gonna shit on this. I’d love for someone to document it and see how it turns out. It sounds fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 101September 14, 2020 2:23 AM

This planned town is not like West Hollywood. Anyone can live in West Hollywood; they don't get a purity test to see if they like gay people. And if you've ever actually been to West Hollywood you know its not 100% gay white males. Don't equate buying up.land to build a town for just one community--and others if they pass a test--with a city where certain people flock to but still have to put up with gay bashers and the like. Not the same thing. Not even close.

by Anonymousreply 102September 14, 2020 2:37 AM

I like the idea really,but the logistics are just not realistic. Unless they plan on living on candlelight and lanterns, it can cost 1000s to get your house hooked to the power grid. As well as water lines. Multiply that by 12 -15-20 depending on the number of homes built . Couple of million easily. Thats not counting roads,sewer ,trash collection,etc,etc,etc. Lets say the are going to use solar panels and composting toilets,thats still a significant initial outlay .

by Anonymousreply 103September 14, 2020 3:48 AM

Jonestown

by Anonymousreply 104September 14, 2020 3:53 AM

What's the difference between 'a ghetto' and a 'safe & empowering space'? R17

by Anonymousreply 105September 14, 2020 3:59 AM

R105 Liquor stores, lottery tickets, lead paint, cops.

by Anonymousreply 106September 14, 2020 4:02 AM

I wonder if there's a good relationship with that other attempt founded by free people of color from the United States?

See in the link—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107September 14, 2020 4:23 AM

R14, black people have endured slavery, the rise of the KKK during reconstruction, Jim Crow, Nixon, Regan, and Karen. We will survive Trump.

by Anonymousreply 108September 14, 2020 7:12 AM

Honestly my first thought when I read the story was this is a scam like in Cotton Comes to Harlem. Except this time the target are not the nickels and dimes of poor blacks, but the millions from guilt ridden corporations and foundations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109September 14, 2020 7:20 AM

It won't be an official city. It will have no services other than the services provided by the county to any other neighborhood. To become an official city requires all sorts of legal/governmental approvals. They will have no power to do anything any other group of citizens have. If county roads run through the property they will have no authority to restrict traffic flow or enforce traffic laws on those roads. If they build this "city" off of a county road and want to make it a gated community they'll have to go through the same county requirements/approvals any other builder would.

by Anonymousreply 110September 14, 2020 9:57 AM

In Georgia to form a new city they must have a charter of municipal incorporation approved by the Georgia General Assembly. Because municipalities are controlled by the state legislature, their boundaries, structure, and even the existence of the city can be altered or abolished by the state.

by Anonymousreply 111September 14, 2020 10:05 AM

R111, you are correct. Over yeh past 20 - 25 years several cities have been formed to escape black controlled government in Georgia. Also at least one city was created by primarily black citizens. If they follow the proper procedures they will get their city.

by Anonymousreply 112September 14, 2020 10:54 AM

If you want to see what a mostly black community looks like, take a trip to St. Thomas and venture outside of the resorts into the real towns.

by Anonymousreply 113September 14, 2020 12:19 PM

A Biden campaign stop must.

by Anonymousreply 114September 14, 2020 12:29 PM

Liberia, take two! *clack*

by Anonymousreply 115September 14, 2020 12:39 PM

[quote] But not much different than digging out a culdisac

Digging a what now?

by Anonymousreply 116September 14, 2020 3:37 PM

For all you "blacks are criminals and this town is going to be a Wild West of murder, rape and drugs!" Marys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117September 14, 2020 3:41 PM

Did a judge ask Harvard to find out why Detroit, which is only 10% white, is not a literal paradise of justice, peace, and prosperity? Whitey graciously ceded the city to the POC who lived there. How long exactly is it going to take to create heaven on earth in this nearly all-black city?

by Anonymousreply 118September 14, 2020 5:36 PM

At least history shows we can expect some really pretty uniforms on the town officials.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119September 14, 2020 5:41 PM

That reminds me, Haiti is another black-run country (for hundreds of years now), with almost 100% black population.

Q.E.D.

by Anonymousreply 120September 14, 2020 5:46 PM

Will this eventually be a walled city like the Citadel they tried to make happen out West?

by Anonymousreply 121September 14, 2020 5:51 PM

Internment camps

by Anonymousreply 122September 14, 2020 6:28 PM

It stands to reason that if 12 families can afford to purchase almost 100 acres of land, even in a rural county like that, they're solidly middle class. Not the sort of people who would set up a crime riddled "hood".

by Anonymousreply 123September 14, 2020 7:29 PM

[quote] Did a judge ask Harvard to find out why Detroit, which is only 10% white

The city of Detroit, as of 2019, is 78.6% black. Not 90%.

Metro Detroit is only 22.8% black.

by Anonymousreply 124September 14, 2020 7:33 PM

[quote] THEY need to be safe from whites???? Blacks commit the majority of violent crimes against other blacks and non-blacks, but okay. Yeah. Sure.

Um, poor people commit the majority of violent crimes

by Anonymousreply 125September 14, 2020 8:21 PM

Of course, whites will riot and tear it all down, just like whites have always done to black wealth and property ownership

by Anonymousreply 126September 14, 2020 8:22 PM

What century are you posting from R126?

by Anonymousreply 127September 14, 2020 8:32 PM

R117, the study was run by Harvard Law School’s Criminal Justice Policy Program. I went to HLS, and they're all SJW's. That's like asking your cat if you have a rodent problem.

by Anonymousreply 128September 14, 2020 8:33 PM

Land in Wilkinson County sells for a little over $1,000/acre, so not like it took any financial largesse. I bet it becomes a community garden until its totally overgrown and the Treasurer embezzles what's left of the loot.

by Anonymousreply 129September 14, 2020 10:47 PM

I, for one, am looking forward to an amazing selection of 40oz Malt Liquor beverages in my brand new liquor store.

by Anonymousreply 130September 14, 2020 10:52 PM

A lot of white people get mad when black people want to have anything for themselves. White people get pissed off if they aren't included in everything

by Anonymousreply 131September 14, 2020 11:33 PM

Can Meghan & Harry live there?

by Anonymousreply 132September 15, 2020 1:32 AM

R120, I can’t tell what kind of point you’re making. Haiti is a poor and corrupt third world banana republic with a terrible crime/violence problem. (Which makes it no worse than the US, really.)

It’s hardly an example of a peaceful and prosperous nation. Was that your point?

by Anonymousreply 133September 15, 2020 5:19 AM

However, I wish these people well. Perhaps if it works out, they can help other nice families to set up nice communities where they can be peaceful and prosperous together. I am NOT rooting for them to fail.

by Anonymousreply 134September 15, 2020 5:22 AM

[quote]White people get pissed off if they aren't included in everything

Say what??

by Anonymousreply 135September 15, 2020 5:39 AM

[quote] Land in Wilkinson County sells for a little over $1,000/acre,

Is that cheap? That sounds pretty cheap to me for an acre of land. I guess location is a big factor.

by Anonymousreply 136September 15, 2020 12:28 PM

It is very rural.

by Anonymousreply 137September 15, 2020 12:29 PM

[quote] A lot of white people get mad when black people want to have anything for themselves.

Huh? I'd love to know who these people are. A large percentage of white people are all too happy for people of a different color or ethnicity to live away from them in their own communities. It's when they start moving into the white neighborhoods that the whites start moving out. Hell, even many so-called liberals get nervous when too many people who they perceive to be unlike them move into their neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 138September 15, 2020 12:35 PM

Land for $1000.00/acre would be uncleared land not near any sort of services. As you can see from this site the prices of land in that county are generally far more than $1000.00/acre. There is one listing for a plot of 1.38 acres for $7800.00.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139September 15, 2020 12:41 PM

I've been saying for years that society actually wants self-governed racial segregation, and that it's evident in the way black people and white people have lived their lives since 1965. Segregation, as long as separate but equal is actually enacted with legitimacy (black authorities and positions of power over the black community, white authorities and positions of power over the white community), works and is necessary to prevent conflict.

by Anonymousreply 140September 15, 2020 12:53 PM

Society already self-segregates, more than half a century after integration was made a national law. Maybe it's time to re-examine whether or not segregation is actually necessary.

by Anonymousreply 141September 15, 2020 12:55 PM

"Um, poor people commit the majority of violent crimes"

Oh, shut the fuck up, r125. These criminals aren't dressed in rags, and have food in their stomachs and plenty of Newports. I didn't realize poor people need to viciously rape women just to keep their head above water either. People like you love to make excuses for them. Maybe that's because you're too lazy and/or afraid to actually address the problem.

Now, why don't you go on YT and search the many, many examples of blacks assaulting whites? Explain why a black student in junior high receiving a free public education dressed in fashionable clothes, is beating up a weaker white student and is doing it because he's oppressed. This, btw, why other blacks look on and laugh. After that, you can educate us all on how being poor resulted in the need of the "Knockout Game".

by Anonymousreply 142September 15, 2020 1:29 PM

r71 was for r23.

by Anonymousreply 143September 15, 2020 1:35 PM

White society doesn't mind if blacks live together, apart from them.

Whites mind if blacks get too successful at it.

by Anonymousreply 144September 15, 2020 3:05 PM

White society (that arent ignorant trumpers) dont give a rats ass what anyone else has . Why do black people assume the large majority of the population sit around thinking about their asses ? I know tons of people,and I promise you in the millions of conversations Ive had in my life,Ive never once heard anyone talking about what blacks have or do. And I was born and raised in the fucking south. Even my most ignorant relatives dont sit around dwelling on what blacks have or dont have. It must be hell walking around 24-7 thinking whitey is out to get you.

by Anonymousreply 145September 15, 2020 5:27 PM

Believe you me, white people everywhere would like nothing more than for segregation to resume by any means necessary. It's black people that have a problem with the idea of living separately from white people. That's why they bitch about "white flight" so much.

by Anonymousreply 146September 15, 2020 5:29 PM

R145, I too live in the South and I often hear white folks make disparaging comments about black people. Currently I live in a fairly liberal college town and I have had several students relay their disappointment that folks they once respected have made racist comments to them. But key YMMV.

by Anonymousreply 147September 15, 2020 6:08 PM

Oh, here is the most ironic instance. I am a LMSW who works for a ASO. I was doing HIV testing on World AIDS Day in 2008. This one white man who was 20 or 21 kept insisting that I was happy Obama was elected so that I could get free health insurance. I told him tepestedly that I got heal5h insurance paid by my employer 100% already so I do not need free insurance from the government. Most of the 20 minutes was spent on this conversation. After I gave him his results. The unemployed idiot had the audacity to ask if I knew of a place where he could get warts lasered off his ass for free.

by Anonymousreply 148September 15, 2020 6:19 PM

[quote] After I gave him his results. The unemployed idiot had the audacity to ask if I knew of a place where he could get warts lasered off his ass for free.

You should have replied "call Obama".

by Anonymousreply 149September 15, 2020 6:41 PM

R147 let me rephrase that ...I do hear white people make disparaging remarks about blacks when its yet another story on the news about black on black violence . Or black crime statistics in general,wich lets be real,are through the roof. Wich is why most people I know arent sympathetic to the BLM cause . How can it matter to whites,when it damn sure doesnt seem to matter to them. A simplistic outlook,granted,but thats what most people I know feel. Also Id like to point out that hispanics make up a greater percentage than blacks in this country,yet they dont seem to have near the problems in their communities that blacks do. Their poverty rates are pretty much equal,they certainly suffer from systemic racism,yet ... Reality is as long as there are different types of people,someone is going to look down on the other .Thats human nature,always has been,always will be.

by Anonymousreply 150September 15, 2020 7:39 PM

[quote] ,Ive never once heard anyone talking about what blacks have or do.

That's because you've considered blacks beneath you. The second they start getting successful, making lots of money, or gaining some societal advantage, whites get pissed off.

The election of Trump is a perfect example of what happens.

by Anonymousreply 151September 15, 2020 8:26 PM

I think people are less concerned about race than they are about class, but it's just that too many white people pre-judge blacks and Latinos as being lower class (or less-educated).

by Anonymousreply 152September 15, 2020 8:29 PM

R151, over 40% of whites voted for Obama in 2008 and again at a slightly higher percentage in 2012. I suggest respectfully that you're a race-baiting asshole with a big big chip on your race-baiting asshole shoulder.

by Anonymousreply 153September 15, 2020 8:33 PM

Whites in general don't give a rat's ass how much blacks acquire, as long as they don't acquire it too close to them.

by Anonymousreply 154September 15, 2020 8:54 PM

[quote] White society (that arent ignorant trumpers) dont give a rats ass what anyone else has . Why do black people assume the large majority of the population sit around thinking about their asses ? I know tons of people,and I promise you in the millions of conversations Ive had in my life,Ive never once heard anyone talking about what blacks have or do.

You are a liar. For someone who never thinks about black people, you sure are arguing a lot about them

You've just proved my point. So many white people can't stand it when black people want something for themselves. The whites get mad when they get left out of anything. They think everything is about THEM

by Anonymousreply 155September 15, 2020 9:24 PM

There’s a whites only town in South Africa and it’s a total shitshow. People like to be surrounded by their own economic class. Educated people that is.

by Anonymousreply 156September 15, 2020 9:35 PM

R151 it must be lovely to have a built in excuse for why every failure in your life,or poor decision made really isnt your fault because "Racism" !.

by Anonymousreply 157September 16, 2020 12:39 AM

Here’s their website...they just want a campground/tiny home recreation center. Look at their Instagram though...already showing guns are welcome. Not gonna end well

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158September 16, 2020 1:47 AM

R133 probably rode the short bus to school as a kid

by Anonymousreply 159September 16, 2020 2:28 AM

That's right, R159, I was the little girl on that short bus.

by Anonymousreply 160September 16, 2020 6:18 AM

R13 What about me?

by Anonymousreply 161September 16, 2020 6:48 AM

This will end up in tears, and shootings, and stabbings...

by Anonymousreply 162September 16, 2020 3:31 PM

Kools and Kool Aid will be very popular.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163September 17, 2020 1:32 AM

We really just need to reinstate segregation, but make it a self-governing kind of thing (blacks rule over blacks, whites rule over whites) in order to solve all of the problems with the original version of segregation. Blacks and whites already self-segregate and have been doing so since integration first became a thing. It's just natural. The two races would get along much better if we just didn't have to share everything with each other, including space. The crazy thing is that both races actually want this and yet nobody wants to actually implement any actions to make it so.

by Anonymousreply 164September 17, 2020 3:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!