Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

*Actor Rex Harrison*

I found Rex Harrison's memoir - "A Damned Serious Business: My Life In Comedy" in a special bookstore. It was published in 1991 shortly after his death in 1990 at age 82.

I was surprised to see how many well known movies he made including Dr. Dolittle and My Fair Lady with Audrey Hepburn. His first love was the stage where he performed many plays including the famous Broadway play My Fair Lady costarring a newcomer named Julie Andrews.

He gave Elizabeth Taylor a run for her money and married 6 times! (But only producing 2 children out of all the unions).

What is your take on Rex Harrison and his career?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277November 9, 2020 10:34 PM

Born in England in 1908 and died in New York City in 1990.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 12, 2020 2:36 AM

After a 6 year absence from Hollywood he made Midnight Lace with Doris Day which turned out to be one of his biggest box office hits in years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 12, 2020 2:41 AM

He was a nasty selfish rude man

by Anonymousreply 3September 12, 2020 2:45 AM

Ask Carole Landis .

by Anonymousreply 4September 12, 2020 2:49 AM

I can't fucking stand Rex Harrison. I have hated him in everything I have ever seen him in

by Anonymousreply 5September 12, 2020 2:51 AM

In My Fair Lady when he mistreats Eliza, all I can think of is that is how he treats all people. He was acting in a role about his life.

by Anonymousreply 6September 12, 2020 2:55 AM

If you were surprised that Rex Harrison was in Dr. Doolittle and My Fair Lady then you are one dumb motherfucker. Seriously.

Why are you even allowed to start threads?

by Anonymousreply 7September 12, 2020 2:57 AM

Good actor with a real star presence. See "Unfaithfully Yours". He was at his most handsome in the 30s. Aged poorly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 12, 2020 2:57 AM

I'll Throw a Custard in Her Face

by Anonymousreply 9September 12, 2020 3:04 AM

His 4th (ex)wife (Rachel Roberts) died in an especially gruesome suicide.

[quote]Actual suicide was a result of swallowing lye, alkali, or another unidentified caustic substance on top of the barbiturates which were ingested as detailed in her posthumously published journals. The acidic effect of the poisonous agent was an immediate cause of death which propelled her body through a decorative glass screen. She was found by her gardener cut to ribbons in a negligee on her kitchen floor amongst the shards of glass on November 26, 1980.

by Anonymousreply 10September 12, 2020 3:12 AM

[quote] I was surprised to see how many well known movies he made including Dr. Dolittle and My Fair Lady with Audrey Hepburn.

SO surprising!

And here I thought all this time they starred Rex Smith!

by Anonymousreply 11September 12, 2020 3:31 AM

He had a huge ego and he liked to fart on stage

by Anonymousreply 12September 12, 2020 3:47 AM

Rex Harrison with his 2 sons - Carey (now deceased) on the left, and the hunky one on the right is Noel, still alive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 12, 2020 3:50 AM

Rex Harrison as Julius Caesar with La Liz in Cleopatra.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 12, 2020 3:54 AM

[quote] Carey (now deceased) on the left, and the hunky one on the right is Noel, still alive.

The one on the left is much better looking.

by Anonymousreply 15September 12, 2020 3:56 AM

Rex Harrison replaced Peter Finch as Julius Caesar in the costly, trouble-laden Cleopatra.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 12, 2020 4:02 AM

Despite his controversial private life Rex Harrison did have genuine acting skills and was nominated for Best Actor Oscar twice - first for Cleopatra and then winning Golden Boy for his second attempt in My Fair Lady.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 12, 2020 4:12 AM

considering he drove two women to suicide, maybe not a mensch

by Anonymousreply 18September 12, 2020 4:14 AM

As Prof. Henry Higgins with you-know-who in My Fair Lady.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 12, 2020 4:16 AM

Reportedly quite the prick in real life, but I enjoyed him as an actor nevertheless. I think this is one of the best Oscar moments as he holds Audrey right next to him. It looks like he adored her, but who wouldn’t. I don’t think an Oscar winner has ever held the presenter right next to him her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 12, 2020 4:17 AM

Sexy Rexy

by Anonymousreply 21September 12, 2020 4:18 AM

[quote]If you were surprised that Rex Harrison was in Dr. Doolittle

DOLITTLE, as in do-little -- get it?

by Anonymousreply 22September 12, 2020 4:40 AM

His son Noel was also an actor. He was a regular on "The Girl from U.N.C.L.E." (opposite DL fave Stefanie Powers.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 12, 2020 4:42 AM

He was horrible to Julie Andrews during the rehearsals of My fair lady, and referred to her as 'tyhat stupid cunt" loudly so she could hear.

To be a little fair that's not as bad a word in the UK as it is in the US, and also everyone wasz extremely frustrated becausze 9in a bizarre reversal of the plot of the musical), Andrews simply could not learn how to speak with a Cockney accent, so drilled had she been in her youth in proper prounciation. Finally Moss Hart made her stay in the theater for him for two days on a weekend and told her he would either teach her how to do a proper Cockney accent, or she would have to be replaced--and she did it. So Harrison was really frustrated by her.

Even so, he treated her so badly she was probably glad when she didn't get the movie role not to have to work with him again.

by Anonymousreply 24September 12, 2020 4:45 AM

Well if so R24 she never mentioned it. All I ever heard her say is that she was of course disappointed not to get the role but it was alleviated greatly by getting Mary Poppins.

Also, she and Audrey became good friends.

by Anonymousreply 25September 12, 2020 4:49 AM

Why wasn't Rex ever in an '80s prime-time soap like Dynasty or Falcon Crest? What a twat.

by Anonymousreply 26September 12, 2020 4:50 AM

R13 has it backwards. Carey is still alive. Noel died in 2013.

by Anonymousreply 27September 12, 2020 4:52 AM

Was Dr. Dolittle related to Eliza Dolittle ?

by Anonymousreply 28September 12, 2020 4:57 AM

R8 - Joe Mankiewicz zooms in on an extreme closeup of Rex' eye in Unfaithfully Yours. Not flattering.

by Anonymousreply 29September 12, 2020 5:16 AM

He was the stepfather to Richard Harris' three sons.

Seth MacFarlane used his voice for Stewie Griffin.

by Anonymousreply 30September 12, 2020 5:27 AM

His actor/singer son Noel Harrison. Some resemblance to his famous father but possibly more handsome. Love his big eyes and luscious lips.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 12, 2020 5:30 AM

So which son is dead and how/when did he die?

by Anonymousreply 32September 12, 2020 5:34 AM

With wife #3, actress Kay Kendall. She had never married before and had no children. After being with Rex for only 2 years she died. He seemed to have a devastating and sometimes fatal way with women.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 12, 2020 5:43 AM

And she seemed to have leukemia.

by Anonymousreply 34September 12, 2020 5:48 AM

One of this wives (actress Rachel Roberts) was obsessed with Rex Harrison. I get the impression that may have something to do with her suicide - on-going depression.

Anyway, Rex certainly did sound like a real prick but it can't be denied that he was a great actor.

by Anonymousreply 35September 12, 2020 5:58 AM

[quote] With wife #3, actress Kay Kendall. She had never married before and had no children. After being with Rex for only 2 years she died. He seemed to have a devastating and sometimes fatal way with women.

She died of cancer. That's hardly his fault.

by Anonymousreply 36September 12, 2020 5:59 AM

Carole Landis committed suicide after Harrison refused to lave his wife for her; he has long been suspected of hiding details from the police about her death (including destroying a suicide note she left him).

Rachel Roberts also killed herself after her attempts to win back Harrison proved fruitless. She died in the same bizarre way that her character in the film "Picnic at Hanging Rock" dies (a suicide attempt that succeeds because she's sliced to ribbons by falling through greenhouse glass).

Clearly Harrison had a predilection for troubled women, and his abusive behavior to other women (like Andrews) shows he probably had seriously damaged both women's self-esteem. But the death of Kay Kendall two years after they married was just bad luck--it had nothing to do with any sort of "fatal way he had with women."

by Anonymousreply 37September 12, 2020 6:07 AM

R32 His second son, Carey Harrison is still alive at 76 years of age. He is a playwright and has written 40 stage plays and 16 novels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 12, 2020 6:12 AM

R32 His first son, Noel Harrison, was an actor. He died at 79 years of age from a heart attack shortly after performing onstage at a local theater.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 12, 2020 6:19 AM

[Quote] He was a nasty selfish rude man

Perfectly cast as Higgins then.

by Anonymousreply 40September 12, 2020 6:23 AM

The year he won Best Actor, his competition was Richard Burton and Peter O’Toole in Beckett, Anthony Quinn in Zorba, and Peter Sellers in Dr Strangelove. Tough competition, all classics.

by Anonymousreply 41September 12, 2020 10:46 AM

This is DL and nobody mentioned he starred in STAIRCASE ?

by Anonymousreply 42September 12, 2020 2:12 PM

R42 The name of a film that nobody dare mention because it is so bad and not in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 43September 12, 2020 2:14 PM

I’ve never was accustomed to his face.

by Anonymousreply 44September 12, 2020 2:20 PM

I thought I heard or read that Rex Harrison was a very kind and gracious man or am I confusing him with David Niven?

by Anonymousreply 45September 12, 2020 2:36 PM

He always seemed queeny to me. But I guess that's just British. I always called him Regina Harris.

by Anonymousreply 46September 12, 2020 2:38 PM

[quote]I thought I heard or read that Rex Harrison was a very kind and gracious man

Not according to anyone who worked with him.

by Anonymousreply 47September 12, 2020 3:08 PM

[quote] suicide attempt that succeeds because she's sliced to ribbons by falling through greenhouse glass

Actually, Roberts died because of the highly corrosive nature of what she swallowed, not because of the glass.

by Anonymousreply 48September 13, 2020 12:31 AM

He was a dead end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 13, 2020 1:32 AM

By all accounts, a great talent but a truly despicable human being :-(

by Anonymousreply 50September 13, 2020 1:34 AM

Rex Harrison's last wife Elizabeth had also been married to Richard Harris. I can't find the quote but I recall reading years ago after Rex Harrison died, she said something like if she had searched the world she couldn't have found too bigger pricks to marry.

by Anonymousreply 51September 13, 2020 1:48 AM

Rex Harrison always breezed thru a scene as if he were on his way to a better film.

by Anonymousreply 52September 13, 2020 1:56 AM

He was a loud, overbearing, PIMPLE of a man!

by Anonymousreply 53September 13, 2020 2:32 AM

Depending on your viewpoint Rex Harrison, along with Richard Burton, made a groundbreaking film in 1969 about an aging gay male couple called "Staircase." It got mixed reviews with some being able to see through the seeming campy stereotypes to see 2 real gay men living their lives together in that particular era. It wasn't meant to be homophobic but rather a comedy/drama that sometimes got derailed by the seeming camp content. Not really a bad movie if you remember that this was done in1969, years before a more enlightened time, and it's a miracle that the gay themed movie got made in the first place with 2 big stars. Worth watching for a gay blast from the past.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 13, 2020 5:03 AM

R45 You are indeed confusing him with David Niven. Never a bad word spoken or written about David Niven - a true gentleman.

by Anonymousreply 55September 13, 2020 10:08 AM

I once saw a video on Youtube of the first orchestra rehearsal for MFL on Bway. When he first heard the xylophone/glock in ""...Let a Woman in Your Life" he exploded. He asked the conductor what the hell it was, he replied "it's called orchestrations Mr. Harrison". Rex then screamed, demanding that they be removed immediately. It was a telling glimpse of his personality. It must have been scrubbed as I haven't been able to find it since.

by Anonymousreply 56September 13, 2020 1:00 PM

Late in life, Rex and fellow legend Claudette Colbert returned to Broadway in a drawing room comedy called "Aren't We All?" On the first day of rehearsals, Colbert overheard Harrison refer to her as "that French dwarf", so she never spoke directly to him again, and spoke only in French to the director when they all were together. Rex didn't know French.

A win for Team Claudette.

by Anonymousreply 57September 13, 2020 1:13 PM

[quote]I once saw a video on Youtube of the first orchestra rehearsal for MFL on Bway. When he first heard the xylophone/glock in ""...Let a Woman in Your Life" he exploded. He asked the conductor what the hell it was, he replied "it's called orchestrations Mr. Harrison".

Harrison had already done MFL in London, so would be familiar with the orchestration.

I do remember a video of Julie Andrews being rather diplomatic about how often Harrison would blow a gasket. I think he tried to get her fired.

by Anonymousreply 58September 13, 2020 10:03 PM

WHAT!! A CUNTAH!!

by Anonymousreply 59September 13, 2020 10:12 PM

R58, MY FAIR LADY played on Broadway before it played in London.

by Anonymousreply 60September 13, 2020 10:44 PM

Embarrassed for r58's huge mistake.

by Anonymousreply 61September 13, 2020 11:30 PM

David Niven was much beloved, but some people called him a mediocre actor and a big snob.

by Anonymousreply 62September 14, 2020 2:55 AM

I was wrong. I apologize.

by Anonymousreply 63September 14, 2020 3:17 AM

^ Niven was a ninny.

He wasn't an 'actor'. He was an effete, epicene, brainless lounge lizard who made money with memoirs celebrating other people's drunkenness and misbehaviour.

by Anonymousreply 64September 14, 2020 3:25 AM

How did Rex feel about Dr. Dolittle? That was an Oscar best picture nominee. LMAO.

by Anonymousreply 65September 14, 2020 3:26 AM

R65 Rex wanted the money and he was on a Fox contract. He was hopelessly miscast as the affable nincompoop veterinarian.

It was inane to spend so much money on a kids movie. It was made in the crazy times when Fox (and everyone else) was trying to duplicate the AMAZING amount of money brought in by 'Sound of Music' when there were about 30 musical movies made. 26 of them failed.

by Anonymousreply 66September 14, 2020 3:31 AM

[quote]I once saw a video on Youtube of the first orchestra rehearsal for MFL on Bway. When he first heard the xylophone/glock in ""...Let a Woman in Your Life" he exploded. He asked the conductor what the hell it was, he replied "it's called orchestrations Mr. Harrison". Rex then screamed, demanding that they be removed immediately. It was a telling glimpse of his personality. It must have been scrubbed as I haven't been able to find it since.

Oh fer pity's sake, that film is a TOTAL set-up , and it has not been "scrubbed" from YouTube. Here it is. One would think the fact that word "rehearsal" is in quotes in the title might have cued you in that it isn't real documentary footage, plus the fact that the video is from 1960, and is also clearly labeled as a "recreation" of the first rehearsal of MFL. Amazing that you and some others (as per the comments on YouTube) actually don't get it.

That said, from all accounts, Harrison was very badly behaved during MFL rehearsals, apparently referring to Julie Andrews as a "bitch" and to Moss Hart as "that Jewish cunt." Horrible man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67September 15, 2020 3:16 PM

He couldn't sing.

by Anonymousreply 68September 15, 2020 3:31 PM

When young, I mixed him up all the time with Noel Coward. They did both had that posh old queen way of speaking a little too loudly and and enunciating a little too obviously, and seemed always to be speaking to an audience, to the last row in the theatre, sharing their amusing anecdotes (which might have been more amusing if they hadn't warned us they would be so.)

Coward was the more interesting man, even if he turned out mediocre work, and Harrison made everything mediocre sound like it might be more important than it is. Harrison seemed like a dickhead and usually made whatever character he was playing into a dickhead, the same dickhead as the last one he played—and the next, too.

by Anonymousreply 69September 15, 2020 3:33 PM

Rex Harrison was a BIG ham who truly believed he was the only attraction in any play or film he appeared in.....

Rachel Roberts timed her LA suicide to coincide with the opening of the MFL revival with Rex that was in LA.......unfortunately for her - her body wasn't discovered until the Monday after the opening.....

Timing is everything, Rachel.

I do like the story of the out of town tryout of MFL in Connecticut, I think. It was snowing and the audience was small in number but got there at risk of life and limb. Rex refused to go on - the theatre manager told him if he didn't go on that he would announce to the audience exactly WHO was causing the trouble.

Rex went on.....and when the chandeliers for the ballroom scene were lowered in place - they were dropped a bit too low. When they were adjusted - they took Rex's toupee with them......

Wooden tit be loverly, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 70September 15, 2020 3:34 PM

Too bad Rachel didn't use her judo on sexy Rexy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 15, 2020 3:46 PM

He was nice to me and I was rude to him. If I had known how miserable he could be I would never have done what I did. Excuse: I was very young. Waited at the stage door after The Kingfisher on Broadway(also with Colbert.) I had brought the film souvenir book of My Fair Lady for him to sign. He quickly came out of the stage door and went into his limousine without acknowledging me at all. So I did what I needed to do. His window was open and I shoved the program in front of his face in a here sign this motion. Instead of calling me a cunt(which I certainly was being) a broad smile came over his face as if he hadn't seen it in quite a while(didn't he have stacks of these all over his house?) and he started looking through it. He then signed it and handed it back to me.

I strongly recommend the 50th anniversary edition of the bluray(not the first one) done by film restorer Robert Harris. It is spectacular. Watch it on as large a screen as possible and revel in the textures of the fabrics of Beaton's beautiful costumes.

by Anonymousreply 72September 15, 2020 4:06 PM

Sexy Rexy shared a role with Yul who made me drool.

Imagine if he did the musical!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 15, 2020 4:08 PM

I never thought he was sexy or attractive but he could nail any part he played. Amazing in The Ghost and Mrs Muir and, of course, MFL.

by Anonymousreply 74September 15, 2020 4:38 PM

I guess Rex Harrison is the male Helen Lawson. On screen or on stage we love him, but off stage or screen, absolutely loathed.

by Anonymousreply 75September 15, 2020 4:42 PM

Burgess Meredith’s stunt double at r71 had a fantastic ass.

by Anonymousreply 76September 15, 2020 5:09 PM

R76 Tell me about it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77September 15, 2020 5:48 PM

Yes R67 after I typed that reply I searched and found the "rehearsal" you refer to. It definitely was staged for the camera. I must have seen just the clip where he yells out of context. I'm surprised he would approve of it showing him to be an ass - and the diction coach being a dick to Julie. Wouldn't have made me want to buy a ticket.

by Anonymousreply 78September 15, 2020 5:56 PM

Not to excuse Harrison, but Rachel Roberts was a bipolar mess who degraded herself trying to hang on to him which, of course, only made him more anxious to be rid of her. I read a bio of her some years ago and director Lindsay Anderson said Harrison was the worst possible person she could have married.

Speaking of Anderson, he could be quite the nasty prick too.

by Anonymousreply 79September 15, 2020 6:36 PM

I tried to watch Staircase a few years ago on TCM and couldn't make it past 25 minutes. The whole thing was so patronizing. Harrison's performance was very campy and superficial - he was gliding through the part on style as if the role deserved nothing more.

Burton, however, was trying to give a genuine performance and his character at least came off like a human being.

by Anonymousreply 80September 15, 2020 6:43 PM

Rex Harrison starred in the 1967 musical Doctor Dolittle and it turned out to be a disaster. Harrison's bad behavior became legendary on this movie, there was a lot of infighting going on, and the production went way over cost. Even at sneak previews the audience complained that the movie was way too long. When released it flopped badly and put another nail in the coffin of musical movies. If Rex and Company thought that they were going to have another Harrison musical hit on their hands like My Fair Lady they could not have been more mistaken.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81September 16, 2020 3:24 AM

I saw him in his last Broadway play.

by Anonymousreply 82September 16, 2020 3:38 AM

After "Staircase" his feature film career was a parade of D-list stinkers. He did some decent made-for-TV movies, including "The Kingfisher" with his "Major Barbara" co-star Wendy Hiller.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83September 16, 2020 3:40 AM

'The Kingfisher' with Wendy Hiller is a much more realistic pairing than with poor No-neck Claudette Colbert.

Wendy Hiller was the STAR of 'Major Barbara' 43 years earlier while young Rex was the gormless, fresh-faced ingenue hoping for her attention.

I watched 'Kingfisher' again last night and it's quite racy. Though I felt the homosexual aspect of the character played by Rex needed to be fleshed out. He described his desire for his friend's buttocks as being similar to the statue of Achilles at the Wellington Monument at Hyde Park in London.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84September 16, 2020 4:11 AM

Dear OP, I can't help but notice you give 2 stars for *Actor Rex Harrison* but four for **Actress Diana Rigg**.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85September 16, 2020 4:20 AM

Now let's talk about John Gielgud.

by Anonymousreply 86September 16, 2020 4:29 AM

John Gielgud deserves his own thread.

He was a serious actor who could be camp.

His arrest for opportuning was shocking at the rime.

by Anonymousreply 87September 16, 2020 4:36 AM

R85 Op here. Hello - you're very observant. I often put stars around my caption of a thread, especially an actor's name, to make it stand out more and get more attention. I guess the reason I gave Diana Rigg more stars than Rex Harrison is because I'm more familiar with her and like her better. And lo and behold, here is a photo of them together in an acting engagement. I also did a recent thread on Michael York - I guess I love those English actors for some reason. Hope you enjoyed the threads!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88September 16, 2020 5:37 AM

Rex looks like an old sea hag in that photo!

by Anonymousreply 89September 16, 2020 6:20 AM

Yes, R88, I have enjoyed those threads. I also love English actors even though I'm not English.

I feel I can generalise and say English actors are more likely to be trained professional theatre actors whereas as most Americans are just performers on screen with not much more ability than photographic models.

by Anonymousreply 90September 16, 2020 6:26 AM

The photo of Harrison with Rigg is from the London production of Heartbreak House, which I saw and was marvelous.

Harrison later did the play on Broadway with a different director (Anthony Page; John Dexter had done the London production) and a different cast, with one exception: Rosemary Harris. However Harris played the older sister, Lady Utterword, in London but played the younger sister Hesione (Rigg's role in London) on Broadway.

I didn't see the Broadway production, but I doubt it was better. Dexter was a nasty piece of work sometimes but he was a fine director most of the time. Page was very uneven.

by Anonymousreply 91September 16, 2020 7:15 PM

Charming; an old pro; an utter prick.

by Anonymousreply 92September 16, 2020 9:06 PM

Just learned that actor Simon Harrison, who played the policeman Ronnie Box on "Endeavour," is Rex's grandson (and Joel's son).

Rex made a great villain in "Midnight Lace" (Doris Day, John Gavin).

by Anonymousreply 93September 16, 2020 9:13 PM

Noel's son.

by Anonymousreply 94September 16, 2020 9:17 PM

He was an excellent performer within a limited range.

James Mason was pushed into stardom with the slogan that he was 'The Man You Love To Hate' and Rex Harrison was the best performer playing the rogue-ish philanderer, the upper-class cad who skated on the thin ice of amorality, multiple sex-partners and adultery.

His quintessential roles are 1. The Rake's Progress (1945, retitled 'Notorious Gentleman' for the American market) 2. The Constant Husband (1955, not particularly successful at avoiding distastefulness) 3. The Man Who Loved Redheads (1955, Terence Rattigan wrote this for Rex Harrison but he demurred at its blatant amorality and allowed a feeble actor to take his role).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95September 16, 2020 11:27 PM

[quote]When young, I mixed him up all the time with Noel Coward. They did both had that posh old queen way of speaking a little too loudly and and enunciating a little too obviously, and seemed always to be speaking to an audience, to the last row in the theatre, sharing their amusing anecdotes (which might have been more amusing if they hadn't warned us they would be so.)

Noel Coward's way of speaking was very, very different from Rex Harrison's. The only thing their speech had in common was that both had what could be broadly classified as upper-class British accents.

[quote]He couldn't sing.

Harrison actually had a lovely, light tenor singing voice, and he had sung full-out in one or two movies long before MY FAIR LADY. You don't know what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 96September 16, 2020 11:52 PM

I long for the days of Harrison and Coward ENUNCIATING English words and lyrics.

I abhor the mindless, mumbling gibberish we have to endure today!

by Anonymousreply 97September 16, 2020 11:59 PM

R5 You have stated your boundaries!

I know others who don’t like Rex Harrison’s face; they say his mouth and jaw —such as in the picture in R8— is somehow simian and 'dog-like' when seen in profile, rather like that porn performer named Jesse Santana—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98September 17, 2020 7:12 AM

Harrison originally pulled out of Dr. D and so they signed Mr. Plummer. Harrison wanted back into the movie and they dumped Plummer but had to give him his full salary. I assume Plummer made a lot of money avoiding a bomb.

M Blakemore claimed Plummer had a percentage on SOM and made a fortune off of it but I'm surprised he got that. I thought that even Andrews got a flat fee of something of 200K. Anybody know what their original salaries were and if they got a percentage?

by Anonymousreply 99September 17, 2020 9:16 PM

Doctor Dolittle was such a nightmare.

Jonh Dunne's book "The Studio" chronicles was a disaster it was.

Someone posted a clip on here last year and I couldn't make it past Anthony Newley's mugging.

by Anonymousreply 100September 17, 2020 10:01 PM

R99 Is that 'M Blakemore' Michael Blakemore OBE, AO who directed Plummer at the National in the 60s (and Angela Lansbury in "Blithe Spirit" in 2014)?

by Anonymousreply 101September 17, 2020 10:11 PM

I just watched Doctor Dolittle a few nights ago on a sparkling Blu-ray transfer. I had seen it as a child and barely remembered what it was about and now I know why. It's slow and Harrison has a hard time hiding the prick he was but some of the songs hold some charm for me, especially When I Look in Her Eyes. Samantha Eggar looks gorgeous even if she didn't have that "it" thing and Newley is at least better than he was playing Heironymus Merkin.

by Anonymousreply 102September 18, 2020 12:53 AM

Didn’t Lilli Palmer divorce Rex at his request so he could marry and care for Kay?

by Anonymousreply 103September 18, 2020 1:39 AM

Lilli Palmer (neé Peiser) was a tough cookie. She used Harrison as a stepping stone to Hollywood.

She got experience handling men when she worked as a professional taxi-dancer.

I always think her steely German off-screen persona seem to dominate over any empathic ability she tried to use when playing a fictional character on screen. Noel Coward, the director of her last stage production was exasperated that she spent more time polishing her appearance than learning the script.

Though you make me think I must re-view two of her more interesting films. 'Oedipus' (1966) where she’s obliged to fornicate with her son (Christopher Plummer) and that quite confusingly frigid film called ‘Beware of Pity’ (1946).

by Anonymousreply 104September 18, 2020 2:03 AM

'Beware of Pity' was by the morbid Stefan Zweig.

He said 'there are two kinds of pity. One, the weak-minded, sentimental sort is really just the heart’s impatience to rid itself as quickly as possible of the painful experience of being moved by another person’s suffering. It is not a case of real sympathy, of feeling with the sufferer, but a way of defending yourself against the sufferer’s pain.

The other kind, the only one that counts, is unsentimental but creative. It knows its own mind, and is determined to stand by the sufferer, patiently suffering too to the last of its strength and even beyond. Only when you go all the way to the end, the bitter end, only when you have that patience, can you really help people.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105September 18, 2020 2:48 AM

Stefan sounds like a pill.

by Anonymousreply 106September 18, 2020 4:13 AM

I'm more fond of early Rex...Blithe Spirit, The Citadel, Unfaithfully Yours, The Long Dark Hall. He grew increasingly mannered and hammy after that.

Who next, OP? Charlotte Rampling? Terence Stamp? Julie Christie? Ian McKellen? Dirk Bogarde?

by Anonymousreply 107September 18, 2020 4:52 AM

There's already a Charlotte Ramplilng thread.

by Anonymousreply 108September 18, 2020 12:55 PM

[quote]M Blakemore claimed Plummer had a percentage on SOM and made a fortune off of it but I'm surprised he got that. I thought that even Andrews got a flat fee of something of 200K. Anybody know what their original salaries were and if they got a percentage?

I don't remember the details or numbers, but I know Andrews has said she made far more money off of the phenomenal sales of the soundtrack recording of THE SOUND OF MUSIC than she did from her salary for the film itself, because she had royalties for one but not points for the other. I wonder if Plummer got any royalties from the album, since his voice is not actually heard on it.

by Anonymousreply 109September 18, 2020 8:16 PM

Thank you. I figured she got a flat fee for SOM. Also for Mary Poppins. Maybe she got royalties on that soundtrack album as well. I wonder how it works for video. God knows the films have sold a gazillion copies in all sorts of formats. Does home video change the game? Peggy Lee thought so, fought Disney and won when Lady and the Tramp became a bestseller on vhs.

by Anonymousreply 110September 18, 2020 8:29 PM

The only film I ever liked Lilli Palmer in was BUT NOT FOR ME as Clark Gable's bitchy ex-wife. She played that very well......type casting, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 111September 18, 2020 9:27 PM

Lilli Palmer was Rex Harrison's second wife and bore him his second and last son during World War II. She was of Jewish descent and left Germany when Hitler began to rise to power with his anti-Jewish political movement. She was a very ambitious person and more than happy to accompany Rex Harrison to Hollywood and stake her claim there. When Rex fell in love with Kay Kendall and wanted to marry and take care of her because she was ill he asked Lilli for a divorce - and she said yes. She had already fallen in love with someone else and taken a lover on the side. When Kay Kendall died Rex had planned to marry Lilli again but she had remarried and stayed with her second husband until her death, whereas Rex married 3 more times. It was like a Hollywood soap opera.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112September 19, 2020 3:44 AM

Lilli Palmer (neé Peiser) treated her life and her marriage as a business operation. They appeared together because it was good box-office even though they were sleeping apart.

by Anonymousreply 113September 19, 2020 4:00 AM

They did, they did...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114September 19, 2020 9:43 PM

He was a tooter.

by Anonymousreply 115September 19, 2020 9:58 PM

Lea, who are you?

Are you a servant talking about your betters?

by Anonymousreply 116September 19, 2020 10:31 PM

You lot know he was called Sexy Rexy early in his career, yes?

I thought that he could be atrocious and then surprisingly good. I thought he walked off with "Cleopatra" from under the noses of no less than Taylor and Burton at the height of their scandalous romance.

Weren't he and Lili Palmer the original cast of "Bell Book and Candle" on stage, or am I misremembering? I'd have given a good deal for a ticket to that.

by Anonymousreply 117September 19, 2020 11:34 PM

[quote]You lot know he was called Sexy Rexy early in his career, yes?

Not before we read it at R21, R71 and R73.

by Anonymousreply 118September 20, 2020 2:03 AM

This thread should have read "Actor" Rex Harrison.

by Anonymousreply 119September 20, 2020 2:12 AM

R72:(please insert spaces where they belong)(Thanks.)

by Anonymousreply 120September 20, 2020 2:14 AM

Fun fact: After a bout of childhood measles, Harrison lost most of the sight in his left eye, which on one occasion caused some on-stage difficulty.

by Anonymousreply 121September 20, 2020 2:21 AM

He was living in the same building as Greta Garbo when she died in 1990.

I remember him being approached for a comment by a CNN reporter as he was leaving the building for a walk.

He was unaware that she had died earlier that day.

by Anonymousreply 122September 20, 2020 2:26 AM

R117, you are correct that Harrison and Palmer appeared in Bell, Book and Candle on Broadway. It was in the early 50s.

It's inexplicable how we wound up with James Stewart and Kim Novak in the movie version.

by Anonymousreply 123September 24, 2020 7:08 PM

Why is Rachel Roberts costumed as if she were playing an attractive woman at r71?

by Anonymousreply 124September 24, 2020 7:31 PM

R123 When Bell, Book And Candle was filmed as a movie, James Stewart, Kim Novak, and Jack Lemmon were considered better box office than the actors who had been doing the play. It's the way of Hollywood!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125September 25, 2020 2:21 AM

^ I didn't realise Stewart was billed after Novak. Age after beauty.

by Anonymousreply 126September 25, 2020 2:35 AM

R126 This was James Stewart's last film as a romantic lead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127September 25, 2020 2:46 AM

Rex appeared in Noël Coward's gay-ish play 'Design for Living' alongside the lovely Diana and gay-ish Anton Walbrook.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128September 25, 2020 3:00 AM

Rex is down on Table 5 (looking rather canine) sitting opposite Larry and close to Miriam Hopkins who's down on Table 6

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129September 25, 2020 3:50 AM

Rex is down on Table 5 (looking rather canine) sitting opposite Larry and close to Miriam Hopkins who's down on Table 6

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130September 25, 2020 3:51 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131September 25, 2020 3:51 AM

Rex and Oscar for My Fair Lady.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132September 25, 2020 4:53 AM

Where is Rex? How far from Miriam Hopkins?

by Anonymousreply 133September 25, 2020 10:47 AM

R133 The image increases in size if you click on it.

Rex is on table 5 down at the bottom left. Miriam is right behind him. (These caricatures are rather cruel.)

Hopkins was over in England to star in "Men are not gods". I haven't seen it but it had a very interesting cast but it got poor reviews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134September 25, 2020 11:10 AM

No. Wait a minute, R129, R130, and R131. I think I might understand. Are you trying to say that Rex is down on Table 5 (looking rather canine) sitting opposite Larry and close to Miriam Hopkins who's down on Table 6?????

by Anonymousreply 135September 25, 2020 6:40 PM

Of the ones I've seen, my favorite Rex Harrison performance is in "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir." It's such a wonderful film...very intimate.

I never enjoyed his singing, mostly because he's just taking between bits of song.

by Anonymousreply 136September 25, 2020 7:14 PM

I haven't seen it in a while but I remember The Reluctant Debutante as very entertaining and just worth seeing for Kay. Mrs. Muir is wonderful and I was shocked to see Joe considered it journeyman work. It's a beloved film. I still want to know how they did that ending when there is no cut that I remember. One of the most beautiful endings in a movie.

by Anonymousreply 137September 25, 2020 9:44 PM

"Unfaithfully Yours" with Rex is a very good comedy.

The remake with Dudley Moore is not.

by Anonymousreply 138September 25, 2020 10:14 PM

Unfaithfully Yours is brilliant but the murder scene is too brutal for today's audience's coming in the middle of a comedy.

by Anonymousreply 139September 25, 2020 10:17 PM

Rex was in The Honey Pot with Maggie Smith. LOVE!

by Anonymousreply 140September 25, 2020 10:49 PM

R140, So was DL icon Susan Hayward.

by Anonymousreply 141September 25, 2020 11:43 PM

Not 'audience's'.

by Anonymousreply 142September 25, 2020 11:55 PM

Listen for the subtleties of intonation he gets in this small speech.

Burton's speech is bit too Kenneth Williams

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143September 26, 2020 1:30 AM

The facial expressions more than the speech.

by Anonymousreply 144September 26, 2020 1:33 AM

This place seems to be full of aficionados of 'Gone With The Wind'. So I'm surprised there aren't any here praising or condemning this 20th Century Fox version of It done in black an white.

It has so many common elements— marital rape, frosty wife and selfish husband, pampered child and it was written by a POC!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145September 26, 2020 3:00 AM

I prefer Burton @ r143. But they act well together.

by Anonymousreply 146September 26, 2020 3:30 AM

That scene isn't bad. People say the movie is terrible. I also read that Donen, Harrison and Burton lost their nerve though I'm not sure what that means.

by Anonymousreply 147September 26, 2020 3:43 AM

I thought the dialogue in 'Staircase' was tremendously witty when I saw it years ago as a gayling. Now the whole thing seems pathetic.

Pathetic in that the 2 characters were pathetic. Pathetic in that Gladys Cooper and Cathleen Nesbitt were shown in a horrible state of geriatric helplessness. Pathetic in that Burton's wig looks so fake when in fact it was Rex who had been wearing excellent wigs for the last decade. And pathetic that the Anglophile/Francophile Stanley Donen who showed so much promise in Hollywood musicals had abandoned the US for England during the Swinging Sixties but his career was grinding back downwards into a string of second-rate failures.

by Anonymousreply 148September 26, 2020 4:01 AM

'Pathetic in that Gladys Cooper and Cathleen Nesbitt were shown in a horrible state of geriatric helplessness.'

Wow what a stupid mistake on everybody's part. Now I will definitely not see it.

by Anonymousreply 149September 26, 2020 4:11 AM

R145 The Foxes Of Harrow was no Gone With The Wind at the box office but it managed to scrape through with some profit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150September 26, 2020 4:29 AM

So why wasn't Rex on Dynasty? I heard he was offered the role of Blake's father.

by Anonymousreply 151September 26, 2020 4:35 AM

Rex tries hard to be as butch as possible against the tediously frigid yet feisty Maureen O'Hara and her ridiculous pompadour.

The scenes from 3.00 to 4.50 must annoy feminists with Rex praising Maureen's father for his superior breeding genes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152September 26, 2020 4:41 AM

R150 Maureen doesn't have her best assets poking through that window.

by Anonymousreply 153September 26, 2020 2:09 PM

R95 Harrison used his reputation and 'a rake' and 'a cad' for decades but he chickened out from playing the one that Terence Rattigan wrote for him.

But he did appear in the one-act Terence Rattigan playlet where the role are reversed and he is the cuckold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154October 13, 2020 12:15 AM

Great presence, but "mannered".

by Anonymousreply 155October 13, 2020 12:24 AM

said to be a big shit ass and pain to work with....mean to wives

by Anonymousreply 156October 13, 2020 12:28 AM

So eloquent.

by Anonymousreply 157October 13, 2020 12:43 AM

The Honey Pot is mediocre and too long.

by Anonymousreply 158October 14, 2020 6:55 PM

dint his wife rachel roberts kill herself with bleach and glass???

by Anonymousreply 159October 15, 2020 1:23 AM

He was sexy in Blithe Spirit.

by Anonymousreply 160October 15, 2020 3:31 AM

R158 I agree with you that 'The Honey Pot' was much too long. And I couldn't understand why Susan Hayward was dragged in to give some box office appeal.

But I see that it's now on Youtube so I must re-view to check if my opinions have changed now that I'm closer to Mr Harrison's age.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161October 15, 2020 5:08 AM

R151 He refused Dynasty because

1. he was conscious of his status as an Academy-Award Winner and TV was trash in those days 2. he insisted on top billing 3. he was vain and refused to play the father to a nobody who was merely ten years younger than him 4. filming in hot Atlanta would have been uncomfortable in his well-tailored clothes and wig 5. he would have had to endure all that time waiting around insufferable Americans.

by Anonymousreply 162October 18, 2020 1:54 AM

R162, Numerous Academy Award winners had been doing television long before 1981.

by Anonymousreply 163October 18, 2020 2:48 AM

Yes, R163, old movie stars like Loretta Young, Jane Wyman, Janet Gaynor and Rhonda Fleming might appear on TV.

But A-List movie Stars like Gregory Peck, the Hepburns, Paul Newman and Rex Harrison would not lower themselves to go on TV.

by Anonymousreply 164October 18, 2020 6:15 AM

R164, Katharine Hepburn starred in made for television productions of The Glass Menagerie in 1973 and Love Among the Ruins in 1975.

by Anonymousreply 165October 18, 2020 7:43 AM

Harrison made good money in the late 50s and in the the 60s. If he had invested it well there would have been no need to work again. He had a villa in Italy for many years.

by Anonymousreply 166October 18, 2020 1:56 PM

He was living in the same NYC building as Greta Garbo when she died in 1990.

by Anonymousreply 167October 18, 2020 2:54 PM

I read that he had gotten a divorce in order to marry Kay Kendall and this was after her cancer diagnosis. If you’ve seen any of her film performances, you’d understand why he wanted to be with her. He’s also the only good part of that Cleopatra nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 168October 19, 2020 12:22 AM

R166

It seems Portofino was inhabited by fishermen when Harrison bought there.

This misspelled web page has an unflattering photo but informative text

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169October 19, 2020 1:17 AM

R168, He got a Best Actor Oscar nomination for it.

by Anonymousreply 170October 19, 2020 5:13 AM

r168, Yes, he divorced Lilli Palmer to marry Kay Kendall when he knew Kay was dying. He expected Lilli to take him back, what a wanker.

by Anonymousreply 171October 19, 2020 10:42 AM

His ashes were scatterd in part in Portofino and the rest on Lilli's grave. It would seem that the years they were together were his happiest.

by Anonymousreply 172October 19, 2020 10:52 AM

"and the rest on Lilli's grave."

I sold them on eBay.

by Anonymousreply 173October 19, 2020 12:54 PM

r162 What makes you think "Dynasty" was filmed in Atlanta of all places?

by Anonymousreply 174October 19, 2020 1:32 PM

[R104]: Say what you will about Ms. Palmer’s personality, but she’s magnificent in “The Counterfeit Traitor” (1962), playing a worldly, but conscience-stricken, German spy.

She even has a speech to cynical William Holden about empathy: “You see all this in terms of troop movements, but not people in a single truck, and where it’s taking them. Someday you might. You’ll see a stranger, an absolute stranger, beaten and bloodied, and all in an instant, he’ll become your brother.”

“Counterfeit Traitor” is a much underrated film, about a man finding a conscience within him to fight against evil. There are many lessons parallel to our times.

by Anonymousreply 175October 19, 2020 2:51 PM

And, BTW, Harrison and Palmer are wonderful in the now barely seen film version of the Jan de Hartog’s play, “The Four Poster” (1952). Charming film.

by Anonymousreply 176October 19, 2020 3:20 PM

There were six others, r165. Seven if you include voice-over narration.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177October 19, 2020 3:28 PM

Hepburn wasn't necessarily buying the hanging trick explanation. She said in one interview about her brother something to the effect of he had no reason to kill himself but who knows what goes on in anyone's mind.

by Anonymousreply 178October 19, 2020 7:43 PM

R175, I first saw it as a 10-year-old one Saturday afternoon in 1962 at our local cinema and I was riveted.

by Anonymousreply 179October 19, 2020 8:46 PM

R177 Are you saying Kate did 7 TV shows?

by Anonymousreply 180October 19, 2020 9:39 PM

R180, Her 1973 interview with Dick Cavett was a television event.

by Anonymousreply 181October 19, 2020 11:09 PM

Kate did a high class TV movie in London with George Cukor and Larry Olivier. And she did the Tennessee Williams TV movie as her continuing contribution to American culture.

But she didn't do a continuing series of 26 episodes of night-time soap which is what Rex Harrison turned down (R151).

by Anonymousreply 182October 19, 2020 11:19 PM

R182, Thank you, Captain Obvious.

by Anonymousreply 183October 19, 2020 11:58 PM

R158 Well, I have re-watched The Honey Pot to find out why it was such a mess.

First Problem. The producer Charles K Feldman was making big money with frothy, star-filled sex comedies such as ‘What's New Pussycat. He also owned that woman named Capucine; he pushed her into 12 projects wanting her to be Another-Audrey-Hepburn.

Second Problem. The script doesn’t know if it’s a frothy comedy or a murder drama. One of the four writers was an Englishman who wrote ‘Dial M for Murder’.

Third Problem. The director Joseph L. Mankiewicz couldn't stop himself from rewriting it so we have four different writers messing up the thing. Mankiewicz had already done one movie with Susan Hayward and three with Rex Harrison

Fourth Problem. Mankiewicz loves to talk and it's tedious listening to all this chatter claustrophobic studio set in a fake terraced garden.

Fifth Problem. The cast was supposed to include Anne Bancroft to play the third woman but for some reason she doesn't appear and she was replaced by a non-entity who I won't bother to mention.

Biggest Problem. Maggie Smith and Rex Harrison have some chance to shine with some accomplished, nuanced light comedy banter. But the biggest problem arises when Rex Harrison is killed off and the movie switches from comedy to drama. It’s dominated by the hopeless person called Cliff Robertson who speaks like a robot. Completely without expression or charm.

It is a mess!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184October 22, 2020 2:31 AM

He could almost pass for Ben Affleck in this picture—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185October 22, 2020 11:29 PM

[quote] Rex went on.....and when the chandeliers for the ballroom scene were lowered in place - they were dropped a bit too low. When they were adjusted - they took Rex's toupee with them......

This story was told by Alan Jay Lerner in his autobiography ON THE STREET WHERE I LIVE. I'm not sure it's true.

If a heavy piece of scenery landed on an actor's head it would probably send him crashing to the ground. Didn't that happen to Ann Miller, who later claimed her lacquered hairdo saved her life?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186October 23, 2020 12:26 AM

R186, It was her bouffant wig that saved her life.

by Anonymousreply 187October 23, 2020 12:39 AM

Barbara Cook claimed she was nearly beheaded during a Carrie performance when a piece of the set came crashing down.

by Anonymousreply 188October 23, 2020 12:41 AM

"But A-List movie Stars like Gregory Peck, the Hepburns, Paul Newman and Rex Harrison would not lower themselves to go on TV."

That's only because in those days actors were not making the fortunes actors make on TV these days. None of those died being worth hundreds of millions like Jen Aniston or Kelsey Grammer or Jerry Seinfeld.

by Anonymousreply 189October 28, 2020 9:03 PM

What actors might have played Higgins on Broadway if Harrison declined the job?

by Anonymousreply 190October 28, 2020 9:29 PM

R190, Alfred Drake

by Anonymousreply 191October 28, 2020 10:19 PM

[quote]What actors might have played Higgins on Broadway if Harrison declined the job?

Lucille Ball.

by Anonymousreply 192October 28, 2020 10:32 PM

Michael Redgrave was considered.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193October 28, 2020 11:04 PM

Hart threatened Harrison before the Drury Lane London MFL opening with being fired because Rex wouldn't come to all the rehearsals. I assume Hart would have too because Harrison fell in line and came to all required of him. I believe there was talk of Gielgud, Coward or Olivier replacing him. Pretty daring of Moss to risk losing him but I guess at that point MFL was practically a legend and he felt he didn't have to have him.

Harrison was 3rd choice for the movie. If Hepburn had refused the movie I wonder who would have gotten it. Warner was definitely not going to give it to Andrews.

by Anonymousreply 194October 28, 2020 11:09 PM

R194, Jack Warner wanted Cary Grant or James Cagney for the movie.

by Anonymousreply 195October 29, 2020 12:08 AM

No, Jack Warner's first choice was Peter O'Toole as Higgins (and you can see a resemblance between him and Leslie Howard in 'Pygmalion').

Second choice was Cary Grant who famously refused in favour of Harrison.

Third choice was Harrison.

James Cagney was proposed for Alfred P Doolittle.

I don't know if there were any alternatives for Hepburn. (Every producer wanted Hepburn for EVERY big role between the years 1954 until 1964. Her career dried up after Fair Lady)

by Anonymousreply 196October 29, 2020 12:19 AM

Not exactly, she had a few good movies left in her and Wait Until Dark was a big hit. She should have come back in Forty Carats instead of Robin and Mariam.

by Anonymousreply 197October 29, 2020 1:05 AM

I believe Cukor wanted O'Toole as well. He was incredibly hot after Lawrence and Harrison on screen was comparatively old and tired. They wanted Harrison to do a screen test and he told them to go fuck themselves.

by Anonymousreply 198October 29, 2020 1:14 AM

I don't like O'Toole (for his ranting on screen and abusive behaviour off-screen) but he would have made a creditable Henry Higgins.

I like Harrison but unfortunately his age meant he had to have septuagenarian Gladys Cooper playing mother which gave the film an altogether antique air.

by Anonymousreply 199October 29, 2020 1:23 AM

R196, In interviews, Audrey said that she initially turned down the role of Eliza, believing Julie should be cast.

Audrey added that it wasn't until another actress was offered the role that she felt comfortable enough to accept it.

She never named the other actress, but some have guessed it was Shirley MacLaine.

by Anonymousreply 200October 29, 2020 2:57 AM

As long as we're telling MY FAIR LADY stories, Mary Martin was originally considered for Eliza Doolittle. Aside from her Texas twang, she was too old at 43, but she was a big name (and her being too old didn't seem to matter in THE SOUND OF MUSIC three years later).

Lerner and Loewe played some of their songs for Martin and her (gay) husband Richard Halliday in their home. The Hallidays politely thanked them and they left. As the story goes, Martin turned to her husband and said 'Those poor boys have lost their talent’ .

As for who could've played Higgins on Broadway, how about Alfred Lunt? He was certainly well known at the time, and had done a radio broadcast of PYGMALION with his wife Lynn Fontanne earlier in the decade. But maybe like Roz Russell, he wasn't interested in yesterday's stew.

by Anonymousreply 201October 29, 2020 12:44 PM

Like so many British actors trained in Shakespearean technique, he though slow and ponderous meant great acting

by Anonymousreply 202October 29, 2020 3:24 PM

Why don't I believe MacLaine was being considered for Lady? Especially that Walters was at the very same time trying to get her for Molly Brown which makes some sense. Sophia Loren would have been better casting.

by Anonymousreply 203October 29, 2020 5:01 PM

My father went to see Peter O'Toole in 'Pygmalion' in NYC, in the 1980s. Amanda Plummer played Eliza. Dad said that O'Toole was so drunk that he could smell the alcohol wafting from the stage.

by Anonymousreply 204October 29, 2020 5:59 PM

O'Toole was a hopeless drunk.

His stuff on film could be controlled by editing and re-shooting but almost all of O'Toole's theatre work was disastrous.

Larry Olivier foolishly allowed him to do Hamlet soon after the opening of The National Theatre. It was a mess and hastened Michael Redgrave's disintegration. (Redgrave played Claudius)

by Anonymousreply 205October 29, 2020 10:04 PM

MacLaine would have been dreadful--probably would have been over the top. Hepburn was probably too old but she brought subtlety. MacLaine was entering her clunker period with films like "John Goldfarb, Please Come Home.

by Anonymousreply 206October 30, 2020 3:26 PM

While Audrey was filming "My Fair Lady", Shirley was filming "What a Way to Go!".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207October 30, 2020 5:39 PM

R206 I agree MacLaine would have been dreadful. But I can't think of a big name star for Eliza.

Perhaps Sally Ann Howes or Petula Clark? Perhaps young Maggie Smith (with dubbing) but I doubt Jack L Warner would understand-- as I assume he was a vulgarian who cared only for money.

by Anonymousreply 208October 31, 2020 4:05 AM

Interesting that Jack Warner gave us one of the last big old fashioned lavish successful movie musicals in My Fair Lady and then went immediately on to start the American new wave with films like Whose Afraid of Virginia Woolf and Bonnie and Clyde.

by Anonymousreply 209October 31, 2020 5:20 AM

Well, the way I heard it was that crusty old Jacob L Warner was sick of being chauffeured into the studio every day to do gangster movies and B movies. He said he wanted to go out with a prestige movie at age 72. And My Fair Lady was that.

He supervised the subsequent movies via telephone as he sat smoking cigars by the pool and lusting over the latest Warner Bros nymphet auditioning for him.

by Anonymousreply 210October 31, 2020 5:28 AM

youtube has video of the London premiere of MFL. Warner looks very proud but also a bit silly with all his medals. Audrey resists laughing in his face and responds to him warmly.

by Anonymousreply 211October 31, 2020 5:42 AM

Besides Audrey Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor (!) was considered for Eliza; also Deanna Durbin was possibly approached for a comeback (she was asked to be in the original on Broadway as well), plus musical ladies like Shirley Jones and Jane Powell could have done it. Warner didn't want Julie Andrews. Maybe that's why she didn't do "Camelot" (also a Warner picture) after she was a big movie star?

Rex did a lot of theater in the 1970s and 1980s in NY. I saw him in the "My Fair Lady" revival, "Aren't We All" with Claudette Colbert, but really the leads were the wonderful Lynn Redgrave and Jeremy Brett, plus saw Rex in "The Circle" with Glynis Johns and Stewart Granger, and in "Heartbreak House" with an excellent Amy Irving and Philip Bosco. Rex was a wonderful actor, but apparently not a nice man off-stage.

He indeed was displeased with Julie Andrews during rehearsals of "My Fair Lady", but then again, she was having a hard time, not just with the Cockney dialect, but with the acting in general. She hadn't done much beside music hall and "The Boy Friend", and though she was doing great with the songs in "My Fair Lady", she was on the verge of being fired. So Moss Hart shut down cast rehearsals for a weekend and basically deconstructed and reconstructed Andrews and drummed into her the role of Eliza. Apparently when she returned, she became "the Julie Andrews" much improved and even Harrison immediately saw the difference. Harrison was not nice to Tony Newley when they made "Dr. Dolittle"; he was jealous that Newley had a great singing voice and made some anti-Semitic comments about Newley apparently. That film did have a terrible time getting filmed, with really bad weather, lots of animals, Rachel Roberts acting crazy around the set, and other problems, and Harrison wasn't the nicest guy to begin with....

by Anonymousreply 212October 31, 2020 6:04 AM

After Jack Warner left Warner Bros., he went on to produce "1776," which was released by Columbia.

by Anonymousreply 213October 31, 2020 1:12 PM

Find the Deanna Durbin rumor hard to swallow. She would have been in her mid-40s at the time. And she wasn't much of an actress, even when young.

by Anonymousreply 214October 31, 2020 2:00 PM

"Deanna Durbin was possibly approached for a comeback."

Eliza Doolittle with a unibrow?

by Anonymousreply 215October 31, 2020 2:45 PM

Deanna Durbin was sufficiently matronly at that time to play the serving wench at Alfred P Doolittle's pub.

by Anonymousreply 216October 31, 2020 2:54 PM

Rex Harrison is his last Broadway play, The Circle, with Stewart Granger and Glynis Johns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217October 31, 2020 3:08 PM

People complain MFL is too stage bound and at moments it is but with such glorious performances, music and production design I can live with it. 1776 however with a novice movie director and a screen full of dozens of Broadway hams trapped for two and a half hours in the congressional chambers is an ordeal. I've tried watching it again on TCM after seeing it first as the coal in the Christmas stocking at Radio City but I just can't hold on.

by Anonymousreply 218October 31, 2020 4:49 PM

Durbin was about 42 around the time of MFL film; she still looked good when she released a photo of her in 1981 or so to counter rumors that she had gotten fat. Judy, of course, made fun of Deanna when she was on Jack Paar's show, which was evidence that Frances Gumm was still jealous that Edna Mae had become a star first, who was more important to her studio (Universal) than Frances was to MGM.

by Anonymousreply 219October 31, 2020 5:42 PM

Also Deanna was able to retain her good looks and was able to dump the shit business, saved her money and went to live happily in France. None of which Judy was capable of doing. Considering her animosity I wonder if she really made that phone call to Deanna. And if she did I doubt Deanna asked her to visit.

by Anonymousreply 220October 31, 2020 7:09 PM

DD would still have been a shit Eliza.

by Anonymousreply 221October 31, 2020 9:35 PM

I do think she would have been better than Mary Martin.

by Anonymousreply 222October 31, 2020 9:47 PM

Interesting Debbie Reynolds got Audreys slot for best actress. There must’ve been some serious backlash against Audrey in the actors branch, since MFL cleaned up otherwise at the Oscars in wins and nominations.

by Anonymousreply 223October 31, 2020 9:50 PM

R221, R222 Those suggestions are just silly.

Eliza had to have certain charm and physical allure to let the audiences hope that Higgins might just abandon his Pygmalion experiment and actually like the creature he transformed from a squashed cabbage leaf into a 'duchess'.

by Anonymousreply 224October 31, 2020 9:53 PM

Dear R218, I don't understand your use of the words "the coal in the Christmas stocking".

Is that an idiom? Was this movie part of a double bill?

by Anonymousreply 225October 31, 2020 10:06 PM

TV movies, r180, they're listed at r177. r176, see r114.

by Anonymousreply 226October 31, 2020 10:08 PM

R212 I envy you seeing Rex Harrison and Stewart Granger on stage.

I would have loved to have seen them in their prime back in the '40s.

by Anonymousreply 227October 31, 2020 10:16 PM

1776 was the Christmas movie at Radio City the year it came out. On the bill was the usual Christmas show on stage including the Nativity and the Rockettes.

by Anonymousreply 228October 31, 2020 10:27 PM

Mary Martin was the FIRST choice to play Eliza. As has been noted she didn't like the score thinking Lerner and Loewe had lost their talent and turned it down. She was the first choice for everything but A Chorus Line.

by Anonymousreply 229October 31, 2020 10:35 PM

[quote] Mary Martin was the FIRST choice to play Eliza. As has been noted she didn't like the score thinking Lerner and Loewe had lost their talent and turned it down. She was the first choice for everything but A Chorus Line.

Aw, go fuck yourself

by Anonymousreply 230October 31, 2020 10:52 PM

"The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" starring Rex Harrison, lovely Gene Tierney and DL fave Natalie Wood as a child, is a great (not very scary) ghost story for Halloween. Rex is really very hot in the film.

by Anonymousreply 231October 31, 2020 10:58 PM

And Gene is very beautiful. And unlike today's beauties she could act.

by Anonymousreply 232October 31, 2020 11:02 PM

[quote]She was the first choice for everything but A Chorus Line.

She would've killed in "Oh! Calcutta!"

by Anonymousreply 233October 31, 2020 11:06 PM

I'm all in for front row seats.

by Anonymousreply 234October 31, 2020 11:12 PM

You're wrong, r229, she was offered Morales.

by Anonymousreply 235October 31, 2020 11:41 PM

Pretty sure when Lerner and Loewe played MFL songs for Martin, none of them were the first tier, perhaps because those hadn't yet been written. Might be understandable why she said no. Nonetheless, I think was a positive turn of events. With her dominating the marquee, they might not have secured the talents of a first-rate actor for Higgins.

by Anonymousreply 236November 1, 2020 2:21 PM

Could Mary Martin have sung "I Could Have Danced All Night" effectively?

by Anonymousreply 237November 1, 2020 3:21 PM

What songs would you consider second tier and shouldn't they have played for her two or three of of Eliza's songs? Especially when making such an important presentation for Broadway's biggest star.

by Anonymousreply 238November 1, 2020 5:32 PM

R29 Preston Sturges wrote and directed Unfaithfully Yours, not Joseph L. Mankiewicz. A hilarious movie, Rex is great in it. As a kid I was taken to see The Kingfisher and thought he was great, then I wore out my parents' copy of the original cast album of MFL. I loved it so much. He's still a favorite actor.

I don't know who said he didn't do TV, but look at IMDB, he did a lot of TV.

by Anonymousreply 239November 1, 2020 5:45 PM

[quote]Could Mary Martin have sung "I Could Have Danced All Night" effectively?

Wasn't she a coloratura soprano?

by Anonymousreply 240November 1, 2020 5:49 PM

Initially yes but by the late 50s she was being considered for Boris Godunov.

by Anonymousreply 241November 1, 2020 6:05 PM

[quote]She would've killed in "Oh! Calcutta!"

Appetites, yes.

by Anonymousreply 242November 1, 2020 8:41 PM

Ever notice Rex (unlike other English male stars of his time) didn't do Shakespeare? I saw him on a Dick Cavett rerun where Cavett asked him why he didn't. He said "I don't like Shakespeare" He was great in Shaw's Major Barbara (film), btw.

by Anonymousreply 243November 2, 2020 2:21 AM

There's a lot of things he didn't do (see R95).

He couldn't do serious drama. The closest he came to drama was a Chekov play called 'Ivanov' (which is on Youtube).

by Anonymousreply 244November 2, 2020 2:28 AM

"He said Shakespeare's plays required a degree of enunciation that made it difficult to play the relaxed, lounging sort of drawing-room scene that was his forte. "

He and Rachel Roberts did do an audio recording of "Much Ado about Nothing", released on LP in 1963.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245November 2, 2020 2:29 AM

^. That's an interesting quote. Someone back at R69 was complaining about his enunciation.

I think good enunciation is vital to communication (though of course it's utterly ignored now).

by Anonymousreply 246November 2, 2020 2:35 AM

I thought he was called Sexy Rexy particularly because of his philandering and the scandal involving Carole Landis.

by Anonymousreply 247November 2, 2020 3:11 AM

This illustrates the use of the phrase 'Sexy Rexy" though it probably more refers to the Sexy Rexy Rose.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248November 2, 2020 3:27 AM

R244, "Midnight Lace" was not serious drama?

by Anonymousreply 249November 2, 2020 3:59 AM

R244 Anne Of The Thousand Days was serious drama, he won the first Best Actor Tony for it (beat Lee J. Cobb in Death Of A Salesman).

by Anonymousreply 250November 2, 2020 4:19 AM

No, R249, I don’t consider "Midnight Lace" as a serious drama.

I’d call it a melodrama. A melodrama designed for women—with Doris getting the chance to display a different expensive gown in every scene and Rex and all the other characters reduced to one-dimensional cyphers.

The ‘Time’ critic said Doris is the “all-American missus…wearing a lot of expensive clothes, and … behaves like such a silly, spoiled, hysterical, middle-aged Lolita that many customers may find themselves less in sympathy with her plight than with the villain's murderous intentions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251November 5, 2020 1:01 AM

[quote]with Doris getting the chance to display a different expensive gown in every scene

And that's exactly what the 1950s Frauen (like my mother) expected when they went to see a Doris Day movie.

by Anonymousreply 252November 5, 2020 3:04 AM

It's melodrama that decompensated into camp. It's what happens when Ross Hunter produces a "thriller".

by Anonymousreply 253November 5, 2020 3:07 AM

I never think of Doris Day as a fashionable clothes-horse but I guess she was when she was in Ross Hunter movies.

by Anonymousreply 254November 5, 2020 3:08 AM

I find him a very entertaining, " actor, and believably emotional. Not a bore like many leading men today. He gave you a show, I think he was fascinating to watch and had an actual sense of humor, not the stupid irony they have now but actual, sophisticated humor.

Maybe Cleopatra wasn't "serious" drama, I don't know - but he wasn't just a comedian.

by Anonymousreply 255November 5, 2020 3:14 AM

(R254 I think of Doris Day as a fashionable clothes-horse, and I think of her as a horsey woman. She loved animals just like Tab Hunter loved animals. I think of both him and her as Germanics Aryan, extremely healthy and 'Kraft durch Freude'. He was a Kelm and she was a Kappelhoff.)

by Anonymousreply 256November 5, 2020 3:18 AM

R256 I thought Midnight Lace was supposed to be all about her wearing sophisticated fashions for a change. and being dressed by Irene. This wasn't her usual style. In movies like It Happened To Jane, or Please Don't Eat The Daisies, she wore fairly plain, functional clothes, or slacks, jeans, blouses around the house. I don't like to think of people as Aryan it's a little too Nazi for me.

by Anonymousreply 257November 5, 2020 3:28 AM

R252, Lana Turner movies, as well.

by Anonymousreply 258November 5, 2020 3:48 AM

Fashionable Lana . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259November 5, 2020 3:52 AM

^ Wow, Lana had about 20 costume changes.

(That's almost as extreme as the silly English film 'The Passionate Stranger' from 1957 where Margaret Leighton wears about 25 Norman Hartnell creations)

by Anonymousreply 260November 5, 2020 4:05 AM

Doris had her fun wearing beautiful furs and then wanted to ruin it for everyone else. Selfish.

by Anonymousreply 261November 5, 2020 10:20 PM

Midnight Lace was made by Marty Melcher, a tame director and the appalling Ross Hunter

by Anonymousreply 262November 5, 2020 10:21 PM

The worst thing about ‘Midnight Lace’ is that it’s a lame rehash of ‘The Man Who Knew Too Much’ made four years prior. They both feature hysterical Doris going quite demented in London.

The first film has strong direction from Hitchcock while she wears a plain grey suit by Edith Head. The second film has her wearing a series of impractical lounge dresses under the brainless direction of Ross Hunter’s minion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263November 7, 2020 7:53 AM

Hitchcock knew that one histrionic scream was enough.

by Anonymousreply 264November 7, 2020 12:02 PM

Midnight Lace (unlike some of The Man Who Knew Too Much) wasn't shot on location. It has lots of well known English actors, but they seem fake-English. It's supposed to be London in 1959-60 but seems more like it's trying to recreate MGM England from the 40s. Very Ross Hunter. Most of the great Ross Hunter dramatic pictures always had something in common - directed by Douglas Sirk. This one isn't, and Sirk retired in 1959.

Harrison was mainly a great comedian, but he could do drama effectively. Cleopatra, and The Agony And The Ecstacy come to mind.

by Anonymousreply 265November 7, 2020 4:45 PM

And he did both beautifully in Mrs. Muir.

by Anonymousreply 266November 7, 2020 5:22 PM

Anna And The King Of Siam was also drama. I know today some object to the casting but he was really good (better than Yul Brynner, I think. Who was white, too).

by Anonymousreply 267November 8, 2020 3:30 AM

Harrison's being such a monstrously selfish and loathsomely unethical person leaves him mostly unwatchable for me. One can see the stink rising off of him in the studio lights.

And Yul Brynner had enough Mongol ancestry to be visible in his face and to color his sensibilities, Miss Know Nothin at R267.

by Anonymousreply 268November 8, 2020 3:52 AM

^ Was he Mongol? I wouldn't believe anything he said.

He called Ingrid Bergman a horse because she was more regal and statuesque than he.

by Anonymousreply 269November 8, 2020 3:58 AM

Thank god he was nice to me or I couldn't watch him either knowing what I now know.

by Anonymousreply 270November 8, 2020 4:19 AM

R270 Are you R72?

by Anonymousreply 271November 8, 2020 4:37 AM

[quote]And Yul Brynner had enough Mongol ancestry to be visible in his face and to color his sensibilities, Miss Know Nothin at [R267].

"Color his sensibilities" lol What the fuck is that? He was a Russian with a fraction of vague Mongol ancestry, but I'm not sure why that qualifies him to play a Thai person. I'm talking about acting ability, jackass. Harrison gave a better performance. His personal life is (or should be) irrelevant to a discussion of his acting. There are a lot of film and music stars today whose antics would make Rex look like Shirley Temple, but go off.

by Anonymousreply 272November 8, 2020 4:42 AM

"The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" was shown on TCM recently. They periodically show it. It's one of his best films. He and Gene Tierney were both wonderful in it. It's not really a ghost story; it's more of a love story with a ghost in it.

by Anonymousreply 273November 8, 2020 4:43 AM

R271 Probably. Too lazy to go back.

I've got kind of the same story but the opposite with Mr. Sondheim. Fortunately he released his fury on the annoying Sondheimite in front of me and I got out of there fast. That was a close call. I would have never been able to listen to Opening Doors or Chrysanthemum Tea again.

by Anonymousreply 274November 8, 2020 5:06 AM

At least "Midnight Lace" and "It Happened to Jane" had some good stuff, but did you ever watch "Tunnel of Love"? That must be the worst film Doris ever made. I mean "Julie" at least is a campfest.

by Anonymousreply 275November 8, 2020 5:14 AM

Midnight Lace had nothing good in it. That's why it's camp.

by Anonymousreply 276November 8, 2020 5:36 PM

[quote] Anna And The King Of Siam

I forced myself to watch this movie last night and I'm reminded of the statement at R95 that 'he was an excellent performer within a limited range'.

Playing Siamese is beyond his range. He had voice coaching but —as he said in his memoir— he’s two foot too tall for the role. I happen to have met a few people from that country and their overriding characteristic is their smallness.

It seems James Mason was the first choice for the role and I think he might have been able to get away with it. James Mason had a kind of feline beauty and he had that odd Oxford/Yorkshire odd speaking voice. He was also four inches shorter than Rex Harrison.

I can understand why 20th century Fox was embarrassed by this when they made their third version of this story in 1999.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277November 9, 2020 10:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!