Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

*Actor Rex Harrison*

I found Rex Harrison's memoir - "A Damned Serious Business: My Life In Comedy" in a special bookstore. It was published in 1991 shortly after his death in 1990 at age 82.

I was surprised to see how many well known movies he made including Dr. Dolittle and My Fair Lady with Audrey Hepburn. His first love was the stage where he performed many plays including the famous Broadway play My Fair Lady costarring a newcomer named Julie Andrews.

He gave Elizabeth Taylor a run for her money and married 6 times! (But only producing 2 children out of all the unions).

What is your take on Rex Harrison and his career?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122Last Saturday at 6:26 PM

Born in England in 1908 and died in New York City in 1990.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109/11/2020

After a 6 year absence from Hollywood he made Midnight Lace with Doris Day which turned out to be one of his biggest box office hits in years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209/11/2020

He was a nasty selfish rude man

by Anonymousreply 309/11/2020

Ask Carole Landis .

by Anonymousreply 409/11/2020

I can't fucking stand Rex Harrison. I have hated him in everything I have ever seen him in

by Anonymousreply 509/11/2020

In My Fair Lady when he mistreats Eliza, all I can think of is that is how he treats all people. He was acting in a role about his life.

by Anonymousreply 609/11/2020

If you were surprised that Rex Harrison was in Dr. Doolittle and My Fair Lady then you are one dumb motherfucker. Seriously.

Why are you even allowed to start threads?

by Anonymousreply 709/11/2020

Good actor with a real star presence. See "Unfaithfully Yours". He was at his most handsome in the 30s. Aged poorly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 809/11/2020

I'll Throw a Custard in Her Face

by Anonymousreply 909/11/2020

His 4th (ex)wife (Rachel Roberts) died in an especially gruesome suicide.

[quote]Actual suicide was a result of swallowing lye, alkali, or another unidentified caustic substance on top of the barbiturates which were ingested as detailed in her posthumously published journals. The acidic effect of the poisonous agent was an immediate cause of death which propelled her body through a decorative glass screen. She was found by her gardener cut to ribbons in a negligee on her kitchen floor amongst the shards of glass on November 26, 1980.

by Anonymousreply 1009/11/2020

[quote] I was surprised to see how many well known movies he made including Dr. Dolittle and My Fair Lady with Audrey Hepburn.

SO surprising!

And here I thought all this time they starred Rex Smith!

by Anonymousreply 1109/11/2020

He had a huge ego and he liked to fart on stage

by Anonymousreply 1209/11/2020

Rex Harrison with his 2 sons - Carey (now deceased) on the left, and the hunky one on the right is Noel, still alive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1309/11/2020

Rex Harrison as Julius Caesar with La Liz in Cleopatra.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1409/11/2020

[quote] Carey (now deceased) on the left, and the hunky one on the right is Noel, still alive.

The one on the left is much better looking.

by Anonymousreply 1509/11/2020

Rex Harrison replaced Peter Finch as Julius Caesar in the costly, trouble-laden Cleopatra.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1609/11/2020

Despite his controversial private life Rex Harrison did have genuine acting skills and was nominated for Best Actor Oscar twice - first for Cleopatra and then winning Golden Boy for his second attempt in My Fair Lady.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1709/11/2020

considering he drove two women to suicide, maybe not a mensch

by Anonymousreply 1809/11/2020

As Prof. Henry Higgins with you-know-who in My Fair Lady.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1909/11/2020

Reportedly quite the prick in real life, but I enjoyed him as an actor nevertheless. I think this is one of the best Oscar moments as he holds Audrey right next to him. It looks like he adored her, but who wouldn’t. I don’t think an Oscar winner has ever held the presenter right next to him her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2009/11/2020

Sexy Rexy

by Anonymousreply 2109/11/2020

[quote]If you were surprised that Rex Harrison was in Dr. Doolittle

DOLITTLE, as in do-little -- get it?

by Anonymousreply 2209/11/2020

His son Noel was also an actor. He was a regular on "The Girl from U.N.C.L.E." (opposite DL fave Stefanie Powers.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2309/11/2020

He was horrible to Julie Andrews during the rehearsals of My fair lady, and referred to her as 'tyhat stupid cunt" loudly so she could hear.

To be a little fair that's not as bad a word in the UK as it is in the US, and also everyone wasz extremely frustrated becausze 9in a bizarre reversal of the plot of the musical), Andrews simply could not learn how to speak with a Cockney accent, so drilled had she been in her youth in proper prounciation. Finally Moss Hart made her stay in the theater for him for two days on a weekend and told her he would either teach her how to do a proper Cockney accent, or she would have to be replaced--and she did it. So Harrison was really frustrated by her.

Even so, he treated her so badly she was probably glad when she didn't get the movie role not to have to work with him again.

by Anonymousreply 2409/11/2020

Well if so R24 she never mentioned it. All I ever heard her say is that she was of course disappointed not to get the role but it was alleviated greatly by getting Mary Poppins.

Also, she and Audrey became good friends.

by Anonymousreply 2509/11/2020

Why wasn't Rex ever in an '80s prime-time soap like Dynasty or Falcon Crest? What a twat.

by Anonymousreply 2609/11/2020

R13 has it backwards. Carey is still alive. Noel died in 2013.

by Anonymousreply 2709/11/2020

Was Dr. Dolittle related to Eliza Dolittle ?

by Anonymousreply 2809/11/2020

R8 - Joe Mankiewicz zooms in on an extreme closeup of Rex' eye in Unfaithfully Yours. Not flattering.

by Anonymousreply 2909/11/2020

He was the stepfather to Richard Harris' three sons.

Seth MacFarlane used his voice for Stewie Griffin.

by Anonymousreply 3009/11/2020

His actor/singer son Noel Harrison. Some resemblance to his famous father but possibly more handsome. Love his big eyes and luscious lips.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3109/11/2020

So which son is dead and how/when did he die?

by Anonymousreply 3209/11/2020

With wife #3, actress Kay Kendall. She had never married before and had no children. After being with Rex for only 2 years she died. He seemed to have a devastating and sometimes fatal way with women.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3309/11/2020

And she seemed to have leukemia.

by Anonymousreply 3409/11/2020

One of this wives (actress Rachel Roberts) was obsessed with Rex Harrison. I get the impression that may have something to do with her suicide - on-going depression.

Anyway, Rex certainly did sound like a real prick but it can't be denied that he was a great actor.

by Anonymousreply 3509/11/2020

[quote] With wife #3, actress Kay Kendall. She had never married before and had no children. After being with Rex for only 2 years she died. He seemed to have a devastating and sometimes fatal way with women.

She died of cancer. That's hardly his fault.

by Anonymousreply 3609/11/2020

Carole Landis committed suicide after Harrison refused to lave his wife for her; he has long been suspected of hiding details from the police about her death (including destroying a suicide note she left him).

Rachel Roberts also killed herself after her attempts to win back Harrison proved fruitless. She died in the same bizarre way that her character in the film "Picnic at Hanging Rock" dies (a suicide attempt that succeeds because she's sliced to ribbons by falling through greenhouse glass).

Clearly Harrison had a predilection for troubled women, and his abusive behavior to other women (like Andrews) shows he probably had seriously damaged both women's self-esteem. But the death of Kay Kendall two years after they married was just bad luck--it had nothing to do with any sort of "fatal way he had with women."

by Anonymousreply 3709/11/2020

R32 His second son, Carey Harrison is still alive at 76 years of age. He is a playwright and has written 40 stage plays and 16 novels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3809/11/2020

R32 His first son, Noel Harrison, was an actor. He died at 79 years of age from a heart attack shortly after performing onstage at a local theater.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3909/11/2020

[Quote] He was a nasty selfish rude man

Perfectly cast as Higgins then.

by Anonymousreply 4009/11/2020

The year he won Best Actor, his competition was Richard Burton and Peter O’Toole in Beckett, Anthony Quinn in Zorba, and Peter Sellers in Dr Strangelove. Tough competition, all classics.

by Anonymousreply 4109/12/2020

This is DL and nobody mentioned he starred in STAIRCASE ?

by Anonymousreply 4209/12/2020

R42 The name of a film that nobody dare mention because it is so bad and not in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 4309/12/2020

I’ve never was accustomed to his face.

by Anonymousreply 4409/12/2020

I thought I heard or read that Rex Harrison was a very kind and gracious man or am I confusing him with David Niven?

by Anonymousreply 4509/12/2020

He always seemed queeny to me. But I guess that's just British. I always called him Regina Harris.

by Anonymousreply 4609/12/2020

[quote]I thought I heard or read that Rex Harrison was a very kind and gracious man

Not according to anyone who worked with him.

by Anonymousreply 4709/12/2020

[quote] suicide attempt that succeeds because she's sliced to ribbons by falling through greenhouse glass

Actually, Roberts died because of the highly corrosive nature of what she swallowed, not because of the glass.

by Anonymousreply 4809/12/2020

He was a dead end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4909/12/2020

By all accounts, a great talent but a truly despicable human being :-(

by Anonymousreply 5009/12/2020

Rex Harrison's last wife Elizabeth had also been married to Richard Harris. I can't find the quote but I recall reading years ago after Rex Harrison died, she said something like if she had searched the world she couldn't have found too bigger pricks to marry.

by Anonymousreply 5109/12/2020

Rex Harrison always breezed thru a scene as if he were on his way to a better film.

by Anonymousreply 5209/12/2020

He was a loud, overbearing, PIMPLE of a man!

by Anonymousreply 5309/12/2020

Depending on your viewpoint Rex Harrison, along with Richard Burton, made a groundbreaking film in 1969 about an aging gay male couple called "Staircase." It got mixed reviews with some being able to see through the seeming campy stereotypes to see 2 real gay men living their lives together in that particular era. It wasn't meant to be homophobic but rather a comedy/drama that sometimes got derailed by the seeming camp content. Not really a bad movie if you remember that this was done in1969, years before a more enlightened time, and it's a miracle that the gay themed movie got made in the first place with 2 big stars. Worth watching for a gay blast from the past.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5409/12/2020

R45 You are indeed confusing him with David Niven. Never a bad word spoken or written about David Niven - a true gentleman.

by Anonymousreply 5509/13/2020

I once saw a video on Youtube of the first orchestra rehearsal for MFL on Bway. When he first heard the xylophone/glock in ""...Let a Woman in Your Life" he exploded. He asked the conductor what the hell it was, he replied "it's called orchestrations Mr. Harrison". Rex then screamed, demanding that they be removed immediately. It was a telling glimpse of his personality. It must have been scrubbed as I haven't been able to find it since.

by Anonymousreply 5609/13/2020

Late in life, Rex and fellow legend Claudette Colbert returned to Broadway in a drawing room comedy called "Aren't We All?" On the first day of rehearsals, Colbert overheard Harrison refer to her as "that French dwarf", so she never spoke directly to him again, and spoke only in French to the director when they all were together. Rex didn't know French.

A win for Team Claudette.

by Anonymousreply 5709/13/2020

[quote]I once saw a video on Youtube of the first orchestra rehearsal for MFL on Bway. When he first heard the xylophone/glock in ""...Let a Woman in Your Life" he exploded. He asked the conductor what the hell it was, he replied "it's called orchestrations Mr. Harrison".

Harrison had already done MFL in London, so would be familiar with the orchestration.

I do remember a video of Julie Andrews being rather diplomatic about how often Harrison would blow a gasket. I think he tried to get her fired.

by Anonymousreply 5809/13/2020

WHAT!! A CUNTAH!!

by Anonymousreply 5909/13/2020

R58, MY FAIR LADY played on Broadway before it played in London.

by Anonymousreply 6009/13/2020

Embarrassed for r58's huge mistake.

by Anonymousreply 6109/13/2020

David Niven was much beloved, but some people called him a mediocre actor and a big snob.

by Anonymousreply 6209/13/2020

I was wrong. I apologize.

by Anonymousreply 6309/13/2020

^ Niven was a ninny.

He wasn't an 'actor'. He was an effete, epicene, brainless lounge lizard who made money with memoirs celebrating other people's drunkenness and misbehaviour.

by Anonymousreply 6409/13/2020

How did Rex feel about Dr. Dolittle? That was an Oscar best picture nominee. LMAO.

by Anonymousreply 6509/13/2020

R65 Rex wanted the money and he was on a Fox contract. He was hopelessly miscast as the affable nincompoop veterinarian.

It was inane to spend so much money on a kids movie. It was made in the crazy times when Fox (and everyone else) was trying to duplicate the AMAZING amount of money brought in by 'Sound of Music' when there were about 30 musical movies made. 26 of them failed.

by Anonymousreply 6609/13/2020

[quote]I once saw a video on Youtube of the first orchestra rehearsal for MFL on Bway. When he first heard the xylophone/glock in ""...Let a Woman in Your Life" he exploded. He asked the conductor what the hell it was, he replied "it's called orchestrations Mr. Harrison". Rex then screamed, demanding that they be removed immediately. It was a telling glimpse of his personality. It must have been scrubbed as I haven't been able to find it since.

Oh fer pity's sake, that film is a TOTAL set-up , and it has not been "scrubbed" from YouTube. Here it is. One would think the fact that word "rehearsal" is in quotes in the title might have cued you in that it isn't real documentary footage, plus the fact that the video is from 1960, and is also clearly labeled as a "recreation" of the first rehearsal of MFL. Amazing that you and some others (as per the comments on YouTube) actually don't get it.

That said, from all accounts, Harrison was very badly behaved during MFL rehearsals, apparently referring to Julie Andrews as a "bitch" and to Moss Hart as "that Jewish cunt." Horrible man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6709/15/2020

He couldn't sing.

by Anonymousreply 6809/15/2020

When young, I mixed him up all the time with Noel Coward. They did both had that posh old queen way of speaking a little too loudly and and enunciating a little too obviously, and seemed always to be speaking to an audience, to the last row in the theatre, sharing their amusing anecdotes (which might have been more amusing if they hadn't warned us they would be so.)

Coward was the more interesting man, even if he turned out mediocre work, and Harrison made everything mediocre sound like it might be more important than it is. Harrison seemed like a dickhead and usually made whatever character he was playing into a dickhead, the same dickhead as the last one he played—and the next, too.

by Anonymousreply 6909/15/2020

Rex Harrison was a BIG ham who truly believed he was the only attraction in any play or film he appeared in.....

Rachel Roberts timed her LA suicide to coincide with the opening of the MFL revival with Rex that was in LA.......unfortunately for her - her body wasn't discovered until the Monday after the opening.....

Timing is everything, Rachel.

I do like the story of the out of town tryout of MFL in Connecticut, I think. It was snowing and the audience was small in number but got there at risk of life and limb. Rex refused to go on - the theatre manager told him if he didn't go on that he would announce to the audience exactly WHO was causing the trouble.

Rex went on.....and when the chandeliers for the ballroom scene were lowered in place - they were dropped a bit too low. When they were adjusted - they took Rex's toupee with them......

Wooden tit be loverly, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 7009/15/2020

Too bad Rachel didn't use her judo on sexy Rexy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7109/15/2020

He was nice to me and I was rude to him. If I had known how miserable he could be I would never have done what I did. Excuse: I was very young. Waited at the stage door after The Kingfisher on Broadway(also with Colbert.) I had brought the film souvenir book of My Fair Lady for him to sign. He quickly came out of the stage door and went into his limousine without acknowledging me at all. So I did what I needed to do. His window was open and I shoved the program in front of his face in a here sign this motion. Instead of calling me a cunt(which I certainly was being) a broad smile came over his face as if he hadn't seen it in quite a while(didn't he have stacks of these all over his house?) and he started looking through it. He then signed it and handed it back to me.

I strongly recommend the 50th anniversary edition of the bluray(not the first one) done by film restorer Robert Harris. It is spectacular. Watch it on as large a screen as possible and revel in the textures of the fabrics of Beaton's beautiful costumes.

by Anonymousreply 7209/15/2020

Sexy Rexy shared a role with Yul who made me drool.

Imagine if he did the musical!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7309/15/2020

I never thought he was sexy or attractive but he could nail any part he played. Amazing in The Ghost and Mrs Muir and, of course, MFL.

by Anonymousreply 7409/15/2020

I guess Rex Harrison is the male Helen Lawson. On screen or on stage we love him, but off stage or screen, absolutely loathed.

by Anonymousreply 7509/15/2020

Burgess Meredith’s stunt double at r71 had a fantastic ass.

by Anonymousreply 7609/15/2020

R76 Tell me about it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7709/15/2020

Yes R67 after I typed that reply I searched and found the "rehearsal" you refer to. It definitely was staged for the camera. I must have seen just the clip where he yells out of context. I'm surprised he would approve of it showing him to be an ass - and the diction coach being a dick to Julie. Wouldn't have made me want to buy a ticket.

by Anonymousreply 7809/15/2020

Not to excuse Harrison, but Rachel Roberts was a bipolar mess who degraded herself trying to hang on to him which, of course, only made him more anxious to be rid of her. I read a bio of her some years ago and director Lindsay Anderson said Harrison was the worst possible person she could have married.

Speaking of Anderson, he could be quite the nasty prick too.

by Anonymousreply 7909/15/2020

I tried to watch Staircase a few years ago on TCM and couldn't make it past 25 minutes. The whole thing was so patronizing. Harrison's performance was very campy and superficial - he was gliding through the part on style as if the role deserved nothing more.

Burton, however, was trying to give a genuine performance and his character at least came off like a human being.

by Anonymousreply 8009/15/2020

Rex Harrison starred in the 1967 musical Doctor Dolittle and it turned out to be a disaster. Harrison's bad behavior became legendary on this movie, there was a lot of infighting going on, and the production went way over cost. Even at sneak previews the audience complained that the movie was way too long. When released it flopped badly and put another nail in the coffin of musical movies. If Rex and Company thought that they were going to have another Harrison musical hit on their hands like My Fair Lady they could not have been more mistaken.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8109/15/2020

I saw him in his last Broadway play.

by Anonymousreply 8209/15/2020

After "Staircase" his feature film career was a parade of D-list stinkers. He did some decent made-for-TV movies, including "The Kingfisher" with his "Major Barbara" co-star Wendy Hiller.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8309/15/2020

'The Kingfisher' with Wendy Hiller is a much more realistic pairing than with poor No-neck Claudette Colbert.

Wendy Hiller was the STAR of 'Major Barbara' 43 years earlier while young Rex was the gormless, fresh-faced ingenue hoping for her attention.

I watched 'Kingfisher' again last night and it's quite racy. Though I felt the homosexual aspect of the character played by Rex needed to be fleshed out. He described his desire for his friend's buttocks as being similar to the statue of Achilles at the Wellington Monument at Hyde Park in London.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8409/15/2020

Dear OP, I can't help but notice you give 2 stars for *Actor Rex Harrison* but four for **Actress Diana Rigg**.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8509/15/2020

Now let's talk about John Gielgud.

by Anonymousreply 8609/15/2020

John Gielgud deserves his own thread.

He was a serious actor who could be camp.

His arrest for opportuning was shocking at the rime.

by Anonymousreply 8709/15/2020

R85 Op here. Hello - you're very observant. I often put stars around my caption of a thread, especially an actor's name, to make it stand out more and get more attention. I guess the reason I gave Diana Rigg more stars than Rex Harrison is because I'm more familiar with her and like her better. And lo and behold, here is a photo of them together in an acting engagement. I also did a recent thread on Michael York - I guess I love those English actors for some reason. Hope you enjoyed the threads!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8809/15/2020

Rex looks like an old sea hag in that photo!

by Anonymousreply 8909/15/2020

Yes, R88, I have enjoyed those threads. I also love English actors even though I'm not English.

I feel I can generalise and say English actors are more likely to be trained professional theatre actors whereas as most Americans are just performers on screen with not much more ability than photographic models.

by Anonymousreply 9009/15/2020

The photo of Harrison with Rigg is from the London production of Heartbreak House, which I saw and was marvelous.

Harrison later did the play on Broadway with a different director (Anthony Page; John Dexter had done the London production) and a different cast, with one exception: Rosemary Harris. However Harris played the older sister, Lady Utterword, in London but played the younger sister Hesione (Rigg's role in London) on Broadway.

I didn't see the Broadway production, but I doubt it was better. Dexter was a nasty piece of work sometimes but he was a fine director most of the time. Page was very uneven.

by Anonymousreply 9109/16/2020

Charming; an old pro; an utter prick.

by Anonymousreply 9209/16/2020

Just learned that actor Simon Harrison, who played the policeman Ronnie Box on "Endeavour," is Rex's grandson (and Joel's son).

Rex made a great villain in "Midnight Lace" (Doris Day, John Gavin).

by Anonymousreply 9309/16/2020

Noel's son.

by Anonymousreply 9409/16/2020

He was an excellent performer within a limited range.

James Mason was pushed into stardom with the slogan that he was 'The Man You Love To Hate' and Rex Harrison was the best performer playing the rogue-ish philanderer, the upper-class cad who skated on the thin ice of amorality, multiple sex-partners and adultery.

His quintessential roles are 1. The Rake's Progress (1945, retitled 'Notorious Gentleman' for the American market) 2. The Constant Husband (1955, not particularly successful at avoiding distastefulness) 3. The Man Who Loved Redheads (1955, Terence Rattigan wrote this for Rex Harrison but he demurred at its blatant amorality and allowed a feeble actor to take his role).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9509/16/2020

[quote]When young, I mixed him up all the time with Noel Coward. They did both had that posh old queen way of speaking a little too loudly and and enunciating a little too obviously, and seemed always to be speaking to an audience, to the last row in the theatre, sharing their amusing anecdotes (which might have been more amusing if they hadn't warned us they would be so.)

Noel Coward's way of speaking was very, very different from Rex Harrison's. The only thing their speech had in common was that both had what could be broadly classified as upper-class British accents.

[quote]He couldn't sing.

Harrison actually had a lovely, light tenor singing voice, and he had sung full-out in one or two movies long before MY FAIR LADY. You don't know what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 9609/16/2020

I long for the days of Harrison and Coward ENUNCIATING English words and lyrics.

I abhor the mindless, mumbling gibberish we have to endure today!

by Anonymousreply 9709/16/2020

R5 You have stated your boundaries!

I know others who don’t like Rex Harrison’s face; they say his mouth and jaw —such as in the picture in R8— is somehow simian and 'dog-like' when seen in profile, rather like that porn performer named Jesse Santana—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9809/16/2020

Harrison originally pulled out of Dr. D and so they signed Mr. Plummer. Harrison wanted back into the movie and they dumped Plummer but had to give him his full salary. I assume Plummer made a lot of money avoiding a bomb.

M Blakemore claimed Plummer had a percentage on SOM and made a fortune off of it but I'm surprised he got that. I thought that even Andrews got a flat fee of something of 200K. Anybody know what their original salaries were and if they got a percentage?

by Anonymousreply 99Last Thursday at 1:16 PM

Doctor Dolittle was such a nightmare.

Jonh Dunne's book "The Studio" chronicles was a disaster it was.

Someone posted a clip on here last year and I couldn't make it past Anthony Newley's mugging.

by Anonymousreply 100Last Thursday at 2:01 PM

R99 Is that 'M Blakemore' Michael Blakemore OBE, AO who directed Plummer at the National in the 60s (and Angela Lansbury in "Blithe Spirit" in 2014)?

by Anonymousreply 101Last Thursday at 2:11 PM

I just watched Doctor Dolittle a few nights ago on a sparkling Blu-ray transfer. I had seen it as a child and barely remembered what it was about and now I know why. It's slow and Harrison has a hard time hiding the prick he was but some of the songs hold some charm for me, especially When I Look in Her Eyes. Samantha Eggar looks gorgeous even if she didn't have that "it" thing and Newley is at least better than he was playing Heironymus Merkin.

by Anonymousreply 102Last Thursday at 4:53 PM

Didn’t Lilli Palmer divorce Rex at his request so he could marry and care for Kay?

by Anonymousreply 103Last Thursday at 5:39 PM

Lilli Palmer (neé Peiser) was a tough cookie. She used Harrison as a stepping stone to Hollywood.

She got experience handling men when she worked as a professional taxi-dancer.

I always think her steely German off-screen persona seem to dominate over any empathic ability she tried to use when playing a fictional character on screen. Noel Coward, the director of her last stage production was exasperated that she spent more time polishing her appearance than learning the script.

Though you make me think I must re-view two of her more interesting films. 'Oedipus' (1966) where she’s obliged to fornicate with her son (Christopher Plummer) and that quite confusingly frigid film called ‘Beware of Pity’ (1946).

by Anonymousreply 104Last Thursday at 6:03 PM

'Beware of Pity' was by the morbid Stefan Zweig.

He said 'there are two kinds of pity. One, the weak-minded, sentimental sort is really just the heart’s impatience to rid itself as quickly as possible of the painful experience of being moved by another person’s suffering. It is not a case of real sympathy, of feeling with the sufferer, but a way of defending yourself against the sufferer’s pain.

The other kind, the only one that counts, is unsentimental but creative. It knows its own mind, and is determined to stand by the sufferer, patiently suffering too to the last of its strength and even beyond. Only when you go all the way to the end, the bitter end, only when you have that patience, can you really help people.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105Last Thursday at 6:48 PM

Stefan sounds like a pill.

by Anonymousreply 106Last Thursday at 8:13 PM

I'm more fond of early Rex...Blithe Spirit, The Citadel, Unfaithfully Yours, The Long Dark Hall. He grew increasingly mannered and hammy after that.

Who next, OP? Charlotte Rampling? Terence Stamp? Julie Christie? Ian McKellen? Dirk Bogarde?

by Anonymousreply 107Last Thursday at 8:52 PM

There's already a Charlotte Ramplilng thread.

by Anonymousreply 108Last Friday at 4:55 AM

[quote]M Blakemore claimed Plummer had a percentage on SOM and made a fortune off of it but I'm surprised he got that. I thought that even Andrews got a flat fee of something of 200K. Anybody know what their original salaries were and if they got a percentage?

I don't remember the details or numbers, but I know Andrews has said she made far more money off of the phenomenal sales of the soundtrack recording of THE SOUND OF MUSIC than she did from her salary for the film itself, because she had royalties for one but not points for the other. I wonder if Plummer got any royalties from the album, since his voice is not actually heard on it.

by Anonymousreply 109Last Friday at 12:16 PM

Thank you. I figured she got a flat fee for SOM. Also for Mary Poppins. Maybe she got royalties on that soundtrack album as well. I wonder how it works for video. God knows the films have sold a gazillion copies in all sorts of formats. Does home video change the game? Peggy Lee thought so, fought Disney and won when Lady and the Tramp became a bestseller on vhs.

by Anonymousreply 110Last Friday at 12:29 PM

The only film I ever liked Lilli Palmer in was BUT NOT FOR ME as Clark Gable's bitchy ex-wife. She played that very well......type casting, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 111Last Friday at 1:27 PM

Lilli Palmer was Rex Harrison's second wife and bore him his second and last son during World War II. She was of Jewish descent and left Germany when Hitler began to rise to power with his anti-Jewish political movement. She was a very ambitious person and more than happy to accompany Rex Harrison to Hollywood and stake her claim there. When Rex fell in love with Kay Kendall and wanted to marry and take care of her because she was ill he asked Lilli for a divorce - and she said yes. She had already fallen in love with someone else and taken a lover on the side. When Kay Kendall died Rex had planned to marry Lilli again but she had remarried and stayed with her second husband until her death, whereas Rex married 3 more times. It was like a Hollywood soap opera.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112Last Friday at 7:44 PM

Lilli Palmer (neé Peiser) treated her life and her marriage as a business operation. They appeared together because it was good box-office even though they were sleeping apart.

by Anonymousreply 113Last Friday at 8:00 PM

They did, they did...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114Last Saturday at 1:43 PM

He was a tooter.

by Anonymousreply 115Last Saturday at 1:58 PM

Lea, who are you?

Are you a servant talking about your betters?

by Anonymousreply 116Last Saturday at 2:31 PM

You lot know he was called Sexy Rexy early in his career, yes?

I thought that he could be atrocious and then surprisingly good. I thought he walked off with "Cleopatra" from under the noses of no less than Taylor and Burton at the height of their scandalous romance.

Weren't he and Lili Palmer the original cast of "Bell Book and Candle" on stage, or am I misremembering? I'd have given a good deal for a ticket to that.

by Anonymousreply 117Last Saturday at 3:34 PM

[quote]You lot know he was called Sexy Rexy early in his career, yes?

Not before we read it at R21, R71 and R73.

by Anonymousreply 118Last Saturday at 6:03 PM

This thread should have read "Actor" Rex Harrison.

by Anonymousreply 119Last Saturday at 6:12 PM

R72:(please insert spaces where they belong)(Thanks.)

by Anonymousreply 120Last Saturday at 6:14 PM

Fun fact: After a bout of childhood measles, Harrison lost most of the sight in his left eye, which on one occasion caused some on-stage difficulty.

by Anonymousreply 121Last Saturday at 6:21 PM

He was living in the same building as Greta Garbo when she died in 1990.

I remember him being approached for a comment by a CNN reporter as he was leaving the building for a walk.

He was unaware that she had died earlier that day.

by Anonymousreply 122Last Saturday at 6:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!