Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How after Trump, will the Republican party reinvent itself?

Whether in four months or four more years, Trump will be history. But how will Republicans frame their party?

All of it has been abandoned. Family values, fiscal responsibility, military support, the whole Muffy and Milton at the links aesthetic - all of it has been smashed to pieces and shat off a cliff.

So what's left? Do they do a 180 Jeb Bush mea culpa routine? Or forge ahead as the new Confederate Party, openly seeking the destruction of the Republic and aimed strictly at violent, racist, gibbering shit-stinking white trash?

The Mercers and Zuckerberg may be okay with this, but not sure the Rockefellers and their ilk are along for the ride.

by Anonymousreply 90September 11, 2020 11:57 AM

Paul Ryan and John Kasich will return to prominence.

by Anonymousreply 1September 10, 2020 5:41 AM

Trump made a major turn to make the party the party of the working class. I think there will still be clashes with the old guard who favor free trade over workers, but since the party’s base is now working class people, I don’t see that changing. It will be interesting to see if the warmongering neocons try to come back to the party, but I don’t think they will be successful. They have shifted over to the Democrats and will not be welcomed back.

by Anonymousreply 2September 10, 2020 5:53 AM

Hopefully, they will lose big this November and be forced into the political wilderness to do some serious, deep-dive soul searching. If they are wise, they will finally wake the fuck up and realize they can't go on being the new Nazi party and push out all of the racist trash that has taken over their ranks for the past 30 or 40 years. And if they really are serious about changing, they'd also cut ties with the evil empire known as Faux News but of course I would never expect that to happen.

by Anonymousreply 3September 10, 2020 5:54 AM

Yeah, Trump's beloved working class. Actually, it's the grifter class that Trump is really addressing, as he has done jack shit for workers.

by Anonymousreply 4September 10, 2020 5:55 AM

They will try to become more woke and more diverse, but the fact is that restricting immigration is already a popular issue and will only become more popular as competition for finite resources (jobs, housing, education, etc.) becomes more intense and as there is a backlash to the millions of people the next Dem president will amnesty. So I think that, much to the chagrin of the establishment republicans, the immigration issue is the one that will win the day with voters. If only they’d realized that before we imported every gang in the third world.

by Anonymousreply 5September 10, 2020 5:56 AM

There will be no Republican Party after Trump. Nor will there be a Democratic Party. There will be no more political parties. There will no longer be any need for any. There will only America Inc. after, win or lose, Trump remains in office courtesy of Russia.

by Anonymousreply 6September 10, 2020 5:57 AM

They’re going to nominate Godzilla in 2024.

The Godzilla-Voldemort ticket is going to be YUGE with them!

by Anonymousreply 7September 10, 2020 6:09 AM

The Republican Party will go full-on Deplorable. The majority of sane Republicans will grudgingly stage a hostile takeover of the Democratic Party. The leftern end of the Democratic Party will break off & take 1/4-1/3 with them as the new "Green Party", leaving the Democratic Party open to takeover by the remaining sane nominal Republicans.

End result: the "Democrats" will become the new de-facto Republican Party. The "Greens" will become the new de-facto Democratic Party. The rump Republican Party will become the 21st Century's Whigs & become increasingly radical & irrelevant.

A few election cycles later, we'll have two stable parties again... a center-left Green Party, a center-right Democratic Party, and a ragtag band of neo-Confederates embarrassing themselves and pretending they're still relevant.

by Anonymousreply 8September 10, 2020 6:33 AM

As Steve Schmidt said back in 2016, there is a deep intellectual rot in the Republican party. They consider ignorance a virtue. The conspiracy theories need to be addressed and called out for the bullshit that they are. Republicans are a profoundly stupid population of people. Education has got to become a serious issue for the party.

by Anonymousreply 9September 10, 2020 6:34 AM

They're dead in the water. With their greed, their climate change denial, their stubborn clinging to a rigid, far-right religiosity that is going out of style, they have nothing to sell that younger generations want.

by Anonymousreply 10September 10, 2020 6:38 AM

[quote] DeFacto

Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 11September 10, 2020 6:49 AM

The headline I want to see, "Trump led from White House in handcuffs, Trump supporters commit mass suicide."

by Anonymousreply 12September 10, 2020 6:54 AM

I predict more carnage among the right.

by Anonymousreply 13September 10, 2020 7:45 AM

America is a racist, bigoted, angry, violent country. Doesn't matter who is in power. America's inherent character remains the same.

by Anonymousreply 14September 10, 2020 7:52 AM

They will blame everything on Hillary Clinton and will try to coast on that for the next century.

by Anonymousreply 15September 10, 2020 7:58 AM

What'll naturally happen is a shift toward more traditional democratic values, while the democrats become increasingly progressive. When there's a successful pattern of republicans attracting minority voters, it will regain prominence. That's pretty much it.

by Anonymousreply 16September 10, 2020 8:25 AM

As long ago as 2004, I wished for them to go extinct as a party; for them to incur as much political and social stigma as the Nazis in the wake of WWII, so that they would never hold power again, and whatever sympathizers remained would assiduously deny being affiliated with them. The passage of time has only increased that sentiment on my part. Perhaps this time it will actually happen, especially once all the criminality they've done in the service of this president has been revealed.

A Republican should not even be appointed city dogcatcher.

by Anonymousreply 17September 10, 2020 9:09 AM

I think the Republicans will align themselves with Kanye West and everything will be alright!

Anyone know any launch codes?

by Anonymousreply 18September 10, 2020 9:43 AM

Wherever Tom Cotton, Ben Sasse or Nicky Haley lead it. They as some version of Trump-lite are the successors. However, got to get the Hispanic and Asian voters on board. That will make a new majority.

by Anonymousreply 19September 10, 2020 10:12 AM

They are a dying party. Which is why they have to resort to so many dirty tricks.

This is a liberal country. And we're always fighting these criminals.

by Anonymousreply 20September 10, 2020 10:33 AM

The Republican party has already rebranded itself as the Trump party. I’m afraid there’s no turning back. We are either in for a major civil conflict or else this country is bound to transition to a dictatorship. The Trump family, including Kushner, intend to remain in control. Everyone seems to think that Donald Trump is orchestrates everything himself and ignores the ambitions and amorality of the people around him who have spent years or their entire lives watching him and learning how he gets away with crimes and with violating all common social norms. They’ve been groomed to take over after him and they will do their damndest to retain control. After this, the Republican party has done itself in completely. They have gone all in on a regime that has shredded the US Constitution, abandoned any possible claim to being ‘the party of family values,’ and turned against their own country to support anti-US foreign governments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 10, 2020 10:54 AM

On day 1 of the next democratic presidency, whenever that occurs, the republicans will suddenly become deficit hawks again. We will have debt ceilings and fiscal cliffs and all that bullshit again as soon as there is a Democrat in charge and influencing where and how money should be allocated. Same thing they pulled after allowing Bush to blow up the deficit and the broader economy, but suddenly when a black guy is calling the shots, there’s simply no way the republicans would allow one more red cent of deficit spending. Also they’ll probably resume Benghazi hearings.

by Anonymousreply 22September 10, 2020 11:20 AM

R21, linking the pic alone without the accompanying article was not cool.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 10, 2020 11:23 AM

The Republican Party peaked with Reagan and trickle-down economics. When that policy was a bust, they had nothing left to run on, so they had to resort to hot-button issues (abortion, gun rights, same-sex marriage) to rile up their voting base while they continued pillaging the Treasury at every opportunity . Trump focused all of the Republican voter rage into White Supremacy, now there's no going back. Good fuckin' riddance to the whole lot of them.

by Anonymousreply 24September 10, 2020 11:28 AM

Be afraid. The next round of fascists -- Cotton, Cruz, Hawley -- is just as evil but more competent than the Trumperly Hillbillies.

by Anonymousreply 25September 10, 2020 11:37 AM

If things don't go totally bonkers, this is a great opportunity for the fomratiin of three parties: deplorables, a merger of Republicans and Republican lites, and a progressive democratic Party.

by Anonymousreply 26September 10, 2020 11:43 AM

Part of Trump’s anomalous strength is his wildness and his perceived incompetence. The way he whips people into hate-fueled frenzies is Hitler like. His foolishness and constant self-contradictions to some people are virtues. It has become clear to me that some people in this country believe they want to see everything around us crash and burn, somehow believing that that will make life better for them. It’s utter insanity but it is a pervasive idea now. We have a lot of actual anarchists who fantasize that destruction of our entire government and even our infrastructure will benefit them.

by Anonymousreply 27September 10, 2020 11:45 AM

As long as they have Fox News feeding their swill to the uneducated whites, the Republicans will have a base big enough to hold on to a lot of state houses and to be a spoiler in Congress.

Nixon was supposed to be the end of the Republican Party, then Shrub, and now Dump. But they always manage to come back, with plenty of financing. Problem is the Democrats govern like responsible citizens and the Pubes are the crazy guys ready to tear everything down.

by Anonymousreply 28September 10, 2020 11:46 AM

[quote]all of it has been smashed to pieces and shat off a cliff

How vivid.

by Anonymousreply 29September 10, 2020 11:49 AM

I suspect the Lincoln Project types are hoping to form a center-right party with moderate Democrats. They may have decided that the crazies -- who, let's be honest, have been around since at least the 1980s and the ascent of far-right talk radio -- aren't going anywhere and they have to break off from them.

We may be entering a period like in the early 1900s where there wasn't a huge difference between the two parties.

by Anonymousreply 30September 10, 2020 11:53 AM

Its tough because they've consistently catered to the white religious right, who are becoming the minority, while the country as a whole is becoming more diverse. I'm not saying this will happen, but the repub party would be better off in the long term to stop catering to evangelicals - I mean, they're not becoming democrats, so why sweat it? - and bring in moderates, particularly women and minorities. I think there is a real case for fiscal responsibility/small government that people can get behind that isn't so attached to all these polarizing social issues.

by Anonymousreply 31September 10, 2020 12:20 PM

A lot of Latino (certainly not Latinx!) people vote Republican. I feel like the Bush family, courtesy of being from Texas and Jeb! being proudly married to Columba, a woman from Mexico, was working to draw Latino people into the Republican party before Trump came along. And despite calling Mexican-descended people ‘rapists and murderers,’ he has retained a lot of support from that demographic.

Yesterday on The View, Joy Behar questioned why Latino people vote Republican considering the things Trump has said about immigrants, and I think that is a prejudice Democrats need to hammer into their heads: not all brown people and not all Latino people are immigrants. Many are second, third, fourth or greater generation Americans by birth and I’ve known Latino people who resent that every white person they meet assumes that they immigrated here from Mexico. It really rubs them the wrong way, understandably.

by Anonymousreply 32September 10, 2020 12:27 PM

Regarding the Latino vote, there is a group of older Puerto Rican men who go to my gym (pre-COVID) who are complete Trumpers and FOX addicts. We have gotten into some heated arguments about it, and I really can't get just why they would support a man who has deliberately withheld aid to Puerto Rico, causing untold suffering and deaths.

It may simply be that a sizable number of Latinos are drawn to 'strong man' caudillo-types.

by Anonymousreply 33September 10, 2020 12:36 PM

Again, demography is the time bomb for the Republican Party. In just a short while, this country will be majority minority. And most of the younger generations are considerably more open and liberal. So unless they can entrench dictatorship and forever compromise our voting system on every level (which is possible) Republicans are just a cycle or two away from obsolescence and political impotence.

by Anonymousreply 34September 10, 2020 12:37 PM

There is no going back to where the party was in the days of W. The party of trump will continue, stronger than ever. Fox News and the new Trump network will continue to spew hate. As long as the Dems continue to address the problems of the white working class and focus almost exclusively on minorities, there will be plenty of members of this group. Moderates will cease to have any influence.

by Anonymousreply 35September 10, 2020 12:43 PM

they will simply go harder and become the new KKK Klan party

by Anonymousreply 36September 10, 2020 12:44 PM

They won't. They'll get eaten up from the inside by Qanon nuts until the party splinters and dissolves.

by Anonymousreply 37September 10, 2020 12:47 PM

White Americans also never were taught, and Latin Americans obviously do not brag, about white-supremacist racism that runs throughout Latin America. The US in my lifetime has focused on Europe and to some extent Asia when it even bothers to acknowledge the world beyond the US. We ignore Latin America. And we seem not to recognize despite having been taught the basic history that countries south of the border all speak Spanish and Portuguese because they were invaded by European countries, too, just not England or France. They were colonized, most native populations were wiped out or absorbed, and white European ancestry was acculturated to be understood as superior just as it was here. I used to work with a guy who moved here at age 18 from Chile, who had a very ‘foreign’ name that turned out to be indigenous. He told me that racism here is pretty bad but it in no way compares to racism in Chile: he said, “here, some people are rude to me as a ‘Mexican’—they all think I’m Mexican—but at least I can get a job and get by. At home, I am Indian, and when you’re Indian you have no chance. Nada. You are dirt.”

At the same time I worked with him, I worked with a young guy from Panama and a young woman whose parents were from the Dominican Republic and both said they are ‘white’ and they have always checked off the ‘white’ or ‘Caucasian’ box on tests and applications and surveys even knowing they might benefit from minority-serving interests if they chose ‘Hispanic.’ There was quite a heated debate among my coworkers about it, since many of them perceived this as the two of them denying their Latin American heritage, but both of them were fair skinned and claimed European heritage. More proudly than the typical white American would do.

by Anonymousreply 38September 10, 2020 12:49 PM

Wanna know what I really think, or what sounds PC?

Here’s what I think:

I think that Trump’s presidency has been wildly successful in this way:

it has now manipulated via misinformation, propaganda psychological ops disseminated via MSM, at least 1/3 of our population. I believe that this pandemic will be exploited for the advent of an entirely different ball of wax to be rolled out within the next 5-10 years. The next pandemic will be even more virulent than this one, and as a result, FOX News and other conservative news outlets will rehash the successful playbook from 2020, and manipulate the party into its demise.

The ones who are stupid and pursue protests via no containment measures, will die off. The wealthy and educated ones will survive, because they’re not entirely stupid. As will the dems or libtards with a brain.

The party will then reinvent itself after a catastrophic national loss, and emerge as the new “centrists”, and be the party of Obama, but rebrand as compassionate conservatism with a dash of common sense for the common good.

Survival of the fittest, may the best man win.

The party cannot survive as it stands. They will cull the herd, rebrand, remessage, and that’s one and done.

by Anonymousreply 39September 10, 2020 12:55 PM

How about the Latinos who seem to support him at high numbers? It's just not whites.

by Anonymousreply 40September 10, 2020 12:57 PM

We've already seen that they no longer are a party of ideas - just fear and inaction. The only ideas they have are regressive and punishing.

Expect more of this - not less. Otherwise, they'd have to admit somehow that they were wrong and deceitful - which will never happen.

Also, don't underestimate the sociopathy of its members who lie with absolutely no remorse.

You all expect them to be intellectually honest NOW? No way - unfortunately, this is just the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 41September 10, 2020 1:10 PM

I'm not sure how the GOP reinvents itself as long as certain old guard members retain their seats.

Imagine that Biden is declared the winner, and Trump immediately vows to run again in 2024, therefore keeping the Republicans captive to his tweets for another 4 years. This will throw a huge monkey wrench in the plans of several of them to run next election. Rubio, Cruz, Haley, Cotton. Why would Trump just slink away and relinquish his power in the party? If they don't threaten legal action against him, why would he go away? He never does the right thing.

If they are stupid enough to let him keep control of their party, they get what they deserve. The GOP needs to get on board with a presidential crimes investigation committee, but I'm afraid it might see some of those Republicans in legal jeopardy.

They are in a difficult position with few options, and I don't feel sorry for them at all. I believe the demise of the Republican party is going to take years, if ever.

by Anonymousreply 42September 10, 2020 1:12 PM

They will just pretend that none of this ever happened. When it comes to Trump, they will be all "I don't know her" and continue to gaslight us.

by Anonymousreply 43September 10, 2020 1:27 PM

R28, agreed, which is why I believe that uneducated, poor whites are at grave risk for whatever pops up.

As are Evangelicals.

These are the vestiges of the HOP that we’re witnessing right now, and either the poor, white, uneducated voters get with the program,!or they become more radicalized via white supremacist groups online and locally. These people will always exist, however, they cannot survive in massive numbers as they currently stand and believe. And they will he asked to pull their weight in ways they’ve never encountered, and the ones who don’t will be taken out via whatever.

And this isn’t a new phenomenon. Look at the opiate crisis. No one lifted a finger. Before that we had the shutting down of coal mines, we’ve had the extinction of manufacturing plants, shuttering Detroit, and now we’re seeing swaths of elderly dying regardless of color, via CoViD-19, and modern life will come at them again, and again, until they’re gone.

You cannot move forward in America as of now, with tribalism or populism because the numbers are there.

And I understand that the GOO is now hoping that Latinos come in and replace this dinosaur, however, what the GOP and the Democrats do not understand about Latinos is that other than Cubans and perhaps certain Central Americans and South Americans, Latinos that they’re hoping to absorb, all grew up in this country and went to college. They’re conservative, but most are not tied to religion or the mega-church phenomenon. They vote with their wallets and that includes their taxes. They want to see THEIR faces when they elect people into office and they are not fooled by bullshit thinking such as: the ACA or something better than it, is bad for me and my families’ future. They too, want their kids to go to college and they don’t want debt and they do not want their kids joining the military if they can help it and they don’t want to hear the fire and brimstone stories they heard at church as kids, because they too, love Netflix and have an Amazon side hustle or play golf.

They are fickle. They are picky AF, and they’re not terrified of AIC, or even Trump, and they will vote for the candidates who represent their personal interests best, rather than because a news anchor told them to or because their pastor did.

These aren’t peasants from Mexico laboring in fields, and even if they are, you’d be astonished if you spoke to some of the folks and found out how educated they are, and knowledgeable and well read and abreast of current events and TRUTHFUL current events, not “alternative facts”.

You cannot bullshit this crowd and if you want their vote, you’re going to have to work for it because they’re not running out for a fentanyl scrip, nor are they running around QAnon Reddit threads, or holding Café Con Leche Party meeting, displaying rifles or intimidating folks for protesting and marching.

They understand protest because many came from poor dirt families or countries where there parents got wiped out.

As for Cubans? If they’re anywhere but Florida and they’re under 40? They’re not interested in Castro and DGAF that he is dead or alive, so watch out, because they’re on the move too, and they don’t see people like Bernie Sanders the way their Abuelo does.

by Anonymousreply 44September 10, 2020 1:30 PM

Probably won't happen this time around, but would love to see the Republicans shit their pants watching North Carolina, Georgia, Florida and Texas all go blue on election night. This will happen eventually mostly because of demographic changes and the cities getting more power. Their Electoral College math would be smashed.

by Anonymousreply 45September 10, 2020 1:50 PM

Probably won't happen this time around, but would love to see the Republicans shit their pants watching North Carolina, Georgia, Florida and Texas all go blue on election night. This will happen eventually mostly because of demographic changes and the cities getting more power. Their Electoral College math would be smashed.

by Anonymousreply 46September 10, 2020 1:50 PM

[quote] Imagine that Biden is declared the winner, and Trump immediately vows to run again in 2024

Trump would be 78 years old, so that’s not going to happen. No one older than 75 years should run for president and no one should vote for anyone that old.

by Anonymousreply 47September 10, 2020 1:50 PM

Tom Nichols:

Reconstructing the GOP—or any center-right party that might one day replace it—will take a long time, and the process will be painful. The remaining opportunists in the GOP will try to avert any kind of reform by making a last-ditch lunge to the right to fill the vacuum left by Trump’s culture warring and race-baiting. In the short term, the party might become smaller and more extreme, even as it loses seats. So be it. The hardening of the GOP into a toxic conglomeration of hucksters, quislings, racists, theocrats, and cultists is already happening. The party gladly accepted support from white supremacists and the Russian secret services, and now welcomes QAnon kooks into its caucus. Conservatives must learn that the only way out of “the wilderness” is first to vanquish those who led them there.

No person should ever get a second chance to destroy the Constitution. Trump has brought the United States to the brink of civil catastrophe, and the Republican Party has protected him from the consequences of all his immoral and illegal actions more ably than even Fred Trump did. Conservatives need to put the current Republican Party out of its—and our—misery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 10, 2020 1:59 PM

"Education has got to become a serious issue for the party"

Education has got to become a serious issue for the DEMOCRATIC party, so that the waves of idiocy die down enough that the Rethugs don't get in again until they've returned to something a thinking person could feasibly vote for. This would take a generation, but it'll also take that long to raise a generation educated in critical thinking again.

Something also has to be done about the stultifying effect of social media on original thought. But anyone who thinks the Republicans are going to do any of this is as whacko as Trump.

by Anonymousreply 49September 10, 2020 2:01 PM

It kills me when people say the 2 parties are liberal vs. conservative. No - both parties have deviated from these stances the past 25 years. The Dem party is centrist, even a bit on the right on some issues.

The Republicans have gone full on fascist - they're not conservative.

by Anonymousreply 50September 10, 2020 2:09 PM

R27, we don’t have a lot of anarchists. We may have a lot of 4Chan, 8Chan, Reddit and Kewdipie anarchists talking shit on YT, but real anarchists?

Where?

You mean the idiots hurling Campbell Soup cans at each other in Portland and the paid to stir shit up wankers who need the extra cash to pay for more of their gaming shit? No. These aren’t that

What we are having is a re-organization and re-emergence of domestic terrorists who are too stupid to have an ideology that is driven by solid funding. The purchase of explosives is almost impossible without live data tracking it via ports and on, and no one plans this shit as a group anymore, where eventually a Timothy McVeigh, who was a DT and NOT an anarchist, arises.

No. It’s easier to become dismayed and rage filled online for whatever reasons, and by a rifle at Walmart, load it in your car, and go back in the store and kill 20 people.

That’s today’s brand of domestic terrorism and that is a HUGE threat because of it cannot be predicted or identified 100% of the time.

Crap like the Bugaloo boys are FBI agents ready to entrap you in your gaming “anarchist” fantasies and while we have our challenges, and while this following remark is one of them, white Americans are just way too comfortable to move to England or into any kingdom, to rise up in anarchy!

LOL.

Sans the conspiracy theory bullshit, the stuff we’re seeing on the news with protesters are engineered and misrepresented. They got actual bloodshed from Portland and Kenosha, and that’s what these people who weren’t protestors went there for. Lone wolves, who chose a peaceful protest instead of a Walmart.

Again, the GOP as we know it is dying of old age, and/ or being left behind AGAIN. Politicians use them as do FOX, however they never lift a single finger to help them regarding any of their complaints, because these people do not want help, they want anger. And when all you have is anger, and you’re surrounded y a bunch of gender fluid, mixed race kids with legal marijuana, as they all move in together in communal living and Netflix and chill, that anger becomes less valuable because for every one of you, there 20 of them, and they don’t wanna sit with you and your CoViD, gun-toting, freedumb ass.

It’s over.

Either the party changes or something completely new emerges, which will in fact be, the part’s change, in and of itself.

by Anonymousreply 51September 10, 2020 2:10 PM

Lady Lindzey could formally trans and be a Caitlyn-type Republican.

by Anonymousreply 52September 10, 2020 2:14 PM

They need to shitcan Mitch McConnell.

by Anonymousreply 53September 10, 2020 2:15 PM

[quote]They need to shitcan Mitch McConnell.

#2 for that is Ron Johnso.

All the Republican Senators determined to have ties to Putin and his oligarchs via Wayne Lapierre's NRA and/or directly.

by Anonymousreply 54September 10, 2020 2:25 PM

^Johnson

by Anonymousreply 55September 10, 2020 2:26 PM

[bold]Tom Nichols/[italic]The Atlantic:[/italic] This Republican Party Is Not Worth Saving[/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56September 10, 2020 2:29 PM

R52, or better yet, Caitlyn can run for POTUS herself, wearing her Olympic medals and the outfit he/she wore on those Wheaties boxes! I mean she’s won every race that mattered before, and she plays golf!

I’d actually prefer her than her very smart, yet morally bankrupt stepdaughter and/or her rapper, looney bin bound-fashion mogul-husband, YEEZY. .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57September 10, 2020 2:35 PM

"We're the party of death, destruction, financial ruin, racism, and now even TRUTH! Embrace your inner demonic goblin and vote Republican!

- Christians in name only

by Anonymousreply 58September 10, 2020 2:36 PM

I think a key aspect of the Republican base is that a significant number of them don't want things to get better, even for themselves. They've given up on the American Dream because they've never seen it. They want to see those they perceive as elites (anyone doing better than they are) trashed and they want non-whites trashed even more.

After that, as long as they have their double-wide and their daughter to fuck, they're good.

by Anonymousreply 59September 10, 2020 2:37 PM

Republicans no longer believe in democracy and the rule of law. They believe in power and greed with any means necessary.

by Anonymousreply 60September 10, 2020 2:42 PM

The last part. Did they vote? Doesn’t matter if they are Not voting. And the nature of people is to grow more conservative with age.

There are more GenY’s out there owning property. What if god forbid they had rental property and the tenant won’t pay. You can’t evict them for a couple of months. I bet you would get real conservative then.

I always vote liberal. No matter what party But the peoples revolution will eventually change the landscape. The question is how?

by Anonymousreply 61September 10, 2020 2:54 PM

Oh, and did everybody notice how coherent Trump was in the tapes? Its all bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 62September 10, 2020 2:58 PM

I did notice that, R62, and how it made him look like he knew the truth but chose to lie to the public.

He's so insane in public appearances, unable to differentiate truth from fiction, unable to even read from a teleprompter, and that's why the tapes don't make a lot of sense. But there's no real way they could be faked, Trump would be screaming 24/7 about it if they were.

by Anonymousreply 63September 10, 2020 3:48 PM

Anyone else get tired of hearing about the heyday of the Republican party? When was that- Abraham Lincoln? All I remember is Nixon, Reagan, Bush, Bush, Trump- all losers. And haters.

by Anonymousreply 64September 10, 2020 3:58 PM

R62, I’ve been saying this exact thing forever, but people call me Boris or crazy.

Not Boris. Not crazy. Just not in denial.

It’s ALL bullshit. And not because pandemics aren’t real, but because a pandemic is real, and it has been used for profiteering and market manipulation via preventing aid, help, truth, and spreading lies so that the POTUS and his cronies worldwide can profit from this.

It is unbelievable that people believe this man is nuts in the way a nutty homeless dude is. Nope. He’s a real deal, grade A, I’m the flesh psychopath and anyone who thinks differently is really mistaken.

This man will literally slit anyone’s throat for money. Kids, wife, doesn’t matter.

Same with his “aids and advisers”.

by Anonymousreply 65September 10, 2020 4:03 PM

Agreed r65. With the TV experience, i think he is trying to be a magician. He knows he’s lying. And he delivers it with such heart. But the manipulation is a big reward for him.

by Anonymousreply 66September 10, 2020 4:13 PM

One big problem is the parts of the Constitution, designed actively to prevent parties developing or assuming they wouldn't, now help entrench the Republicans beyond their actual vote - the Senate, Electoral College, the ability of gerrymander congressional districts

by Anonymousreply 67September 10, 2020 4:39 PM

R67 - what I hate is that Dems gerrymandered districts in the 60's and 70's in order to provide minorities a vote and representation. Minorities just happen to vote Dem.

Republicans gerrymander to ensure control for their party alone. Very different perspective and, although both parties have done it, it is done with entirely different goals.

by Anonymousreply 68September 10, 2020 4:48 PM

Trump will get 42% of the vote as a given. Then the additional 6% to 8% he needs to win the electoral college will be done by cheating, i. e. voter suppression, fucking with the mail, Russian meddling, and placed insiders in predetermined locations tampering with the machines and the counts.

by Anonymousreply 69September 10, 2020 4:58 PM

R67, yes it is.

I’m not sure why the electoral college hasn’t been revisited seriously, however, I suppose it can tip a close election either way for races like 2016, and gerrymandering is definitely a problem, the GOP voters will ignore until one day, it actually affects them.

Which is why these vultures are holding on to ANYTHING and doing ANYTHING to win. Things are changing, and the party understands big data as well as anyone else who also reads charts and follows projections.

That all said, I’ve gotta tell you guys what “snap-shot” REALLY floored me in a way a poignant phot has the ability to do. One that is captured in real time and just personifies why a picture is, indeed, worth a 1,000 words.

Wanna know which one?

The snapshot of Mike Pence pandering for pennies at a fucking Q-Anon event, because he is mistaken about his duty, when he is told to or he himself believes, that being. “Yes” man for DJT, is more beneficial than not, for whatever his motives, malignant or beneficial, are.

I cannot even fathom something like this. You are the. Ice President of the United States of America, and your con-man of a boss, has mismanaged his campaign funds so poorly, and specifically for the purposes of creating false scenarios in order for the MSM to feed to a mentally hi-jacked electorate who have intentional and manipulative cognitive dissonance performed upon them daily, so that you can raise money for him, so that he can be elected into office again

When I read in a WaPo excerpt, that Pence turned to Woodward and whispered, “Stay the course”, after Woodward had shot him a look expressing incredulity, I just became dismayed. It’s like the wind got knocked out of me, because there is nothing rational or justifiable about “managing” a psychopath who is actively striving to undermine our democracy.

Imagine spending 4 years, kow-towing to a fucking sociopath who turns around and tells you, or you humor him, by agreeing to speak at a Q-Anon fund raising dinner!!!

Pence would have saved face had he called Disney and scheduled a fundraising dinner with the seven dwarves and had cyanide marinated apple for dinner, served to him by the wicked witch of the west!

This grifter has made a mockery out of everything and everyone. And we deserved it. Totally and completely, no question. We’re all responsible for this and we need to stop blaming the Republicans and the Evangelicals and Russia, because this is US. We gave birth to this monstrosity and if we want to end this horror show we’re going to have to ask ourselves what we believe it means to be Americans, as opposed to being “marks” for a con-job that is actually dependent upon the participation of white, middle class, Christian, conservative voters, whom he, our president, seeks to destroy, just because he loathes their values and naivety, and ALSO believes that they’re too stupid to live, and deserve to get sodomized with a splintered baseball bat, before, during and after they also get sick with a virus or have a loved one die or lose their jobs.

This man just doesn’t give one flying fuck about anything or anyone, which is why we are hearing these recordings.

This isn’t a scandal or a mistake! The man planned this because he wants us to know he fucked before he leaves, because he thinks it’s actually really funny, and laughs even harder when he reads poll numbers, showing zero difference in support from his hardcore base!

He’s enjoying this, and he doesn’t give a fuck one way or another.

He’ll leave office in January 2021 and hit the golf course all weekend if he loses, or he will leave office in January 2021 and hit the golf course all weekend if he wins.

by Anonymousreply 70September 10, 2020 5:12 PM

Look at this helmet head, aqua net Vice Presibot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 10, 2020 5:16 PM

To answer the OP's question, they're going to act like it all never happened and continue on. It's what they do best.

by Anonymousreply 72September 10, 2020 5:30 PM

"You'll be amazed by how much this never happened."

by Anonymousreply 73September 10, 2020 5:32 PM

R72 - "that's all in the past - I don't want to talk about that. I want to talk about now and the crisis facing Americans with the Democrats in charge."

Every. Fucking, Time.

Yet somehow they can go on for YEARS about Benghazi and emails.

by Anonymousreply 74September 10, 2020 5:35 PM

She'll bring all the GOP menz together ❤., and still get her instructions from Pootie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 10, 2020 8:11 PM

There has to be a party that is the mirror image of the Democrats in its beliefs, whatever you call it. A one party state is not desirable.

by Anonymousreply 76September 10, 2020 8:18 PM

White (not Jewish) straight men of all economic strata absolutely adore Trump and the Republicans, no matter what they tell their wives and social groups. Black and Hispanic straight men are turning to him as well. Democrats are too feminized.

They will continue to vote for him in secret.

by Anonymousreply 77September 10, 2020 8:31 PM

That is horseshit, R77.

by Anonymousreply 78September 10, 2020 8:47 PM

I think some of it will depend on what happens with Trump after he's out of office. If Fox News keeps putting him and his family on the air every 5 seconds to spew their nonsense then it will remain the Trump party for the foreseeable future. If, however, Fox decides to deplatform then then I think the Republican party will pretend the whole thing never happened and find some ex-military type like Dan Crenshaw to groom as an eventual nominee.

by Anonymousreply 79September 10, 2020 8:47 PM

R79 I agree - and I think a big part of what happens to Trump (assuming lawsuits don't do him in) is whether Twitter shuts him down the day after his presidency ends. Without that platform, he's finished.

by Anonymousreply 80September 10, 2020 9:35 PM

Sales office for time shares in Russia and Israel's occupied territories.

by Anonymousreply 81September 10, 2020 9:37 PM

Trump/Republicans are hanging onto 20th century fears and politics in a 21st century world. The country is changing and they show no skill or willingness to adapt. This isn't brand new information -- their internal 2012 Autopsy Report detailed just that -- but they don't care. They'd rather stick their head in the sand like ostriches. They're in for a big surprise within the next 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 82September 10, 2020 9:42 PM

If Trump wins or loses, I think he stays as the head of the Republican Party for awhile. The Democrats could lose the 2024 election and Trump or Trump lite could win. I think the Republicans have to continue to be the populist, anti immigrant party for awhile. But no longer the party of wars and small government.

If the Democrats become the party of wokeness and reparations, they’ll end up marginalized. The Republicans will become the party of everyone else, whites, Latino and Asians. Then they can stay in power for decades.

by Anonymousreply 83September 10, 2020 9:47 PM

[quote] The Republicans will become the party of everyone else, whites, Latino and Asians.

Attacking communities with large immigrant communities and painting them as the enemy 'other' is a very, very strange and ineffective way to do outreach to demographics that you hope to absorb as your own. Ask Pete Wilson and the California GOP how that tactic worked out for them.

by Anonymousreply 84September 10, 2020 9:51 PM

Republicans will have to become more inclusive but the populism isn’t going anywhere, The anti immigration will keep the deplorable loyal.

But it really depends on what happens to the Democrats. If Biden loses, the party could splinter into factions. If it goes too left, the Republicans can pick up the right and the middle.

by Anonymousreply 85September 10, 2020 9:56 PM

[quote] Republicans will have to become more inclusive

After embracing the grossness of Trump and his administration, I think any overtures from Republicans will be too little, too late. They did too much lasting damage which has tainted their name. Many voters will neither forgive nor forget.

by Anonymousreply 86September 10, 2020 10:06 PM

“finite resources (jobs, housing, education, etc.)”

R5 you’re just so overwhelmingly stupid.

by Anonymousreply 87September 10, 2020 10:09 PM

We got a "feminized" troll, R78. Posts with multiple accounts and then (ironically) cries like a girl if someone casually mentions that trolls use sockpuppets on here.

by Anonymousreply 88September 11, 2020 10:25 AM

Per a recent 538 analysis, the Hispanic and Black vote for Trump is almost identical to what it was in 2016, so there isn't any flood of non-white voters turning to Trump this year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89September 11, 2020 10:28 AM

[quote] After embracing the grossness of Trump and his administration, I think any overtures from Republicans will be too little, too late. They did too much lasting damage which has tainted their name. Many voters will neither forgive nor forget.

The best example of why that doesn’t necessarily hold true is the modern loyalty of African-Americans to the Democratic party after 150 years of slavery and Jim Crow. That shows that literally anything is possible in realigning voting blocs. Another example is the recent switch of working people to the GOP and the neocons and corporate interests to the Democrats. Groups that spit at the GOP today may become its most loyal adherents in the future.

by Anonymousreply 90September 11, 2020 11:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!