Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Katy Perry BOMBS with new album, "Smile"

Opened with 35k pure sales, 50k total.

In it's second week, it is predicted to sell 1k copies. Currently at 873 copies sold.

Epic BOMB!

Thoughts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 526October 8, 2020 2:09 PM

She became a little too 'TMI' the last few months. Nobody wants to see that.

by Anonymousreply 1September 10, 2020 1:53 AM

Bet she is glad she got that 15 million from American Idol.

by Anonymousreply 2September 10, 2020 1:59 AM

The music business is a young person's game. she's been morphing into TV and other endeavors. Im sure she'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 3September 10, 2020 2:01 AM

She's 35, she slammed into the Wall years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4September 10, 2020 2:30 AM

That album cover is unfortunate given the news.

by Anonymousreply 5September 10, 2020 2:33 AM

She is the Paula Abdul of the 00s/10s. Really. She had a handful of huge hits and then BAM, she's over.

by Anonymousreply 6September 10, 2020 2:45 AM

R6, who really isn't the Paula Abdul of music industry? It's a lot of fizzle and burnout

by Anonymousreply 7September 10, 2020 3:14 AM

The days of the pop girls are over. Britney, Gaga, Katy, Rihanna, none of them can sell now.

by Anonymousreply 8September 10, 2020 3:21 AM

I can...

by Anonymousreply 9September 10, 2020 3:24 AM

Me too.

by Anonymousreply 10September 10, 2020 3:25 AM

I’m glad the public is finally starting to come to their senses.

by Anonymousreply 11September 10, 2020 3:26 AM

Maybe it’s because she’s fat?

by Anonymousreply 12September 10, 2020 3:28 AM

R8 Gaga had a successful single but beyond that, her album didn't do too well either. I don't think people are buying any new music anymore. All those women are lucky they got in when they did.

by Anonymousreply 13September 10, 2020 3:30 AM

People stream now

by Anonymousreply 14September 10, 2020 3:32 AM

She has no talent. Sounds like a reckoning in music tastes.

by Anonymousreply 15September 10, 2020 3:38 AM

There is no reckoning. The ceo of Spotify made it abundantly clear that he intends to screw over recording artists at a time when they can’t tour or promote their music. This is coming from someone who made their billion dollar fortune by stealing peoples intellectual property. No sane person would sacrifice their livelihoods to pursue a career in the recording industry. If anything, music will become even more shit, with tiktok and YouTube stars who become overnight successes producing auto tuned garbage, only to fade away just as quickly.

The same thing will happen to the movie industry if they go all in on streaming.

by Anonymousreply 16September 10, 2020 3:46 AM

[quote] I can...—Adele

Honey, you’ll be lucky if you can squeak out any of your old hits after your weight loss. Can you even sing any more?

by Anonymousreply 17September 10, 2020 3:47 AM

Good. Can we sink her already?

by Anonymousreply 18September 10, 2020 4:06 AM

Maybe if there’s no fame or fortune to be had actual musicians who love what they do will be the only ones left making music. Imagine a world where you don’t have to look like a model to be a musician.

by Anonymousreply 19September 10, 2020 4:21 AM

[quote] who really isn't the Paula Abdul of music industry? It's a lot of fizzle and burnout

Rihanna and Taylor have had much longer longevity than Katy did. Katy didn't even release much material during her 5 year peak which doesn't bode well for her streaming numbers in the future.

by Anonymousreply 20September 10, 2020 4:56 AM

Katie is worth several hundred million dollars, has had all the best dicks, just had a baby with Orlando Bloom and can't sing a note. Not a single note. She's been a very lucky christian girl. Of all the chicks who can't sing, she can't sing the most.

by Anonymousreply 21September 10, 2020 5:07 AM

People are sick of her.

by Anonymousreply 22September 10, 2020 5:08 AM

I would have thought Swift’s fans would be over her by now but her new album sold 2 mil in the first week

by Anonymousreply 23September 10, 2020 5:09 AM

She seems tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 24September 10, 2020 5:11 AM

Another example of these young bitches copying all of my career milestones. Are NONE of them original?

by Anonymousreply 25September 10, 2020 5:15 AM

Taylor Swift's album has done well.

by Anonymousreply 26September 10, 2020 5:27 AM

Swift album's did/is doing great. So did Gaga's - considering she had no promo for it. Both have gone double platinum world wide. I think Swift's album is much bigger in the US, Gaga is a bit bigger the world over.

Both Swift and Gaga can change and morph from album to album. They also have annoying die hard fans that have aged with them. So Gaga will do pop, dance, alt-pop, standards, rock which broadens her appeal. Swift will do country, pop, folk, for the same reason.

Katy has no real talent. She can't really change like Swift, Gaga, and Beyonce (to throw her in the mix as well). And most of her fans from 2010s have grown up and aren't die hards. She's like the poor gal's Britney. She couldn't evolve. Of course her shelf life was shorter than the others.

by Anonymousreply 27September 10, 2020 5:36 AM

I stopped with her after Witness. I liked the first single and the Swish Swish song, but she tried imitating Miley circa 2013 to promote it. It was unoriginal, and the livestream thing was especially disturbing. All the new music I've heard on the radio sounds the same.

by Anonymousreply 28September 10, 2020 5:38 AM

I just won an Oscar, bitch.

Besides Katy lied in court and this is her karma.

by Anonymousreply 29September 10, 2020 5:43 AM

She might have lost a few folks when she campaigned for Hillary in 2016.

by Anonymousreply 30September 10, 2020 5:44 AM

R30, that's true. That was around the same time she released that song Rise that didn't do that well. That was probably the beginning of the end for her.

by Anonymousreply 31September 10, 2020 5:50 AM

Taylor Swift called out Bumfuck Mitch and the Turd, and she still rules the Billboard charts.

by Anonymousreply 32September 10, 2020 5:50 AM

You guys are overthinking it.

Her music just sucks. There has been nothing of the caliber of her first few songs.

She just keeps settling for slop music. If she can get better songs and put out another one and chalk this one up to Covid.

by Anonymousreply 33September 10, 2020 6:03 AM

Oh, shit.

What’s the single?

by Anonymousreply 34September 10, 2020 6:05 AM

Cupcake tits are hard to top.

by Anonymousreply 35September 10, 2020 6:09 AM

I think she hits the right notes R21

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 10, 2020 6:11 AM

Lady Gaga should have gone with a Star Is Born type spund with her new album. The dance pop stuff is not what's going to sell the current climate.

by Anonymousreply 37September 10, 2020 6:23 AM

Her career took a nose dive as soon as she dropped Dr Luke. Ke$ha wasn't satisfied with ruining just her own career, she had to take Katy's too

by Anonymousreply 38September 10, 2020 6:25 AM

Why do we hate her? I don’t remember. We’re saying she can’t sing but she’s no better or worse than all the other floozies selling millions.

by Anonymousreply 39September 10, 2020 6:25 AM

I don't think Katy Perry is worthy of hate R39. But she was a huge pop star who, unlike her peers Swift, Gaga, Beyonce, and Rihanna, seems to have gone the way of the dodo. It's more a "huh, look at that" than it is hate.

by Anonymousreply 40September 10, 2020 6:29 AM

Losing Dr. Luke as her producer didn't help things. He was pretty much responsible for her sound - and hits.

She couldn't find the right fit after she stopped working with him.

by Anonymousreply 41September 10, 2020 6:29 AM

I don't like Kesha anymore R38

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42September 10, 2020 6:32 AM

There’s always Max Martin. T hat would have done the trick.

You only need one great single to make a comeback. She just doesn’t have anything to say. She rich. She’s pregnant. She’s got a man. She should enjoy her success and family and wait for some more inspiration instead of putting out crap.

To be fair, it happens to a lot of acts. Mariah comes to mind. When the music sucks, there’s only so much you can do.

by Anonymousreply 43September 10, 2020 6:34 AM

Poor Katy, she had a good run though...

by Anonymousreply 44September 10, 2020 6:35 AM

She tied with Michael Jackson to have five #1 hits from one album and had a number of smashes. So she'll always have those hits.

by Anonymousreply 45September 10, 2020 6:38 AM

Her career went downhill when she decided to become a judge on AI. She seemed to be at the top of her career and that seemed like a downgrade.

by Anonymousreply 46September 10, 2020 6:40 AM

[quote] Another example of these young bitches copying all of my career milestones. Are NONE of them original?

[quote] Madame X

JFC you must be an old. Please head for the glue factory.

by Anonymousreply 47September 10, 2020 6:54 AM

I went to take a look at the Dr Luke affair - and, to my complete surprise, things are not going well for Kesha. It seems to me that Dr. Luke is completely innocent of all the things he was accused of, and in recent years, he has enjoyed victory after victory in the courts. More recently:

[quote]Gottwald sued the singer in 2014, accusing her of defaming him by fabricating a rape allegation in a bid to get out of her recording contract. Kesha has alleged that Gottwald drugged her and raped her, and also claimed in a text message to Lady Gaga that Gottwald had raped Katy Perry.

[quote]In a ruling on Thursday, New York Supreme Court Judge Jennifer G. Schecter ruled that Kesha had defamed Gottwald in the text message to Lady Gaga, noting that Perry has denied the claim and there is no evidence to support it.

I should have known this before. Kesha changed a lot from one hour to the next. At first, she seemed like a free spirit, a bit of a whore, but a cheerful one, who didn't seem to have any worries other than putting herself in the focus of a TV camera; a while later, all her appearances in the media consisted of making exaggerated weeping faces from the stand. It's now clear to me that she was acting, that she was trying to manipulate public opinion. This was something I learned when I read about an arsonist couple from Britain who set fire to their own home, killing their children. After the couple's guilt was determined, an expert told the media that one should always mistrust people who frown too much for the camera in the course of days, as this couple did.

To finish it off, I just want to say that -- Dr. Luke is a lot hotter than Kesha. He should have been the one with the pop star career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 10, 2020 8:21 AM

K-Pop has supplanted Katy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 10, 2020 8:35 AM

Rhianna, Swift, Beyonce, and Drake are really the ONLY ones who can sell anything.

by Anonymousreply 50September 10, 2020 9:28 AM

Witness not doing great was beginning of the end. Chained to the Rhythm was not big and swish was a minor hit. 365 and Never Really over were good songs with the later a Katy Perry song and on the latest album, but the former did nothing and the later did OK and did hang around a bit. No other song has hit. With her um talent, you need consistent hits

by Anonymousreply 51September 10, 2020 9:34 AM

Her voice always sounds suspiciously doctored. Has she ever bellyed-up to a microphone and belted out a song live?

by Anonymousreply 52September 10, 2020 9:38 AM

She's one of the least talented and most annoying female singers. I hope SJWs dig out this old 'masterpiece' of hers and cancel her forever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53September 10, 2020 9:43 AM

And let's not forget her original fat and fake Christian self...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 10, 2020 9:44 AM

her teeenie bop shit is so over

by Anonymousreply 55September 10, 2020 9:51 AM

R54 the lyrics are cheesy but I like the song more than her usual music and her voice was better back then.

by Anonymousreply 56September 10, 2020 10:51 AM

I think she's a good person, but that generic kind of music is just... generic.

by Anonymousreply 57September 10, 2020 10:54 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58September 10, 2020 11:00 AM

Never underestimate the power of prayer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59September 10, 2020 11:07 AM

[Quote] The dance pop stuff is not what's going to sell the current climate.

Ohreally?

by Anonymousreply 60September 10, 2020 11:08 AM

I think she is very wise. She wouldn't be where she is if it weren't for her smarts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61September 10, 2020 12:34 PM

By the time Prism came out people were starting to get sick of her, because she isn’t someone who is trying to make good music, but just someone who is trying to make hit singles. Her behavior during Teenage Dream, and even releasing a new version with more singles to push so she gets more number 1s was obvious.

Then after Prism she did Witness and that did not go over well. The singles weren’t hits and people didn’t like her new look or sound. Like someone said upthread, she was trying to promote it by acting like Miley circa 2013 and people weren’t having it.

She also mocked Britney more than once, which went viral at the time, and people were upset at her for it. Her personality has turned people off more than anything.

by Anonymousreply 62September 10, 2020 12:36 PM

Didn't she call Mariah "good for a throwback"?

by Anonymousreply 63September 10, 2020 12:45 PM

I loved “chained to the rhythm” even though “witness” was widely trashed. Perhaps she shouldn’t have changed her image trying to become blonde? Can she go back to her old dark haired image? It’s not easy to sustain a music career that’s why Beyoncé’ is a perfectionist with her singing and performing...she knows she can be dropped at any moment if she doesn’t work her ass off so she doesn’t leave anything to chance.

by Anonymousreply 64September 10, 2020 1:05 PM

I loved “chained to the rhythm” even though “witness” was widely trashed. Perhaps she shouldn’t have changed her image trying to become blonde? Can she go back to her old dark haired image? It’s not easy to sustain a music career that’s why Beyoncé’ is a perfectionist with her singing and performing...she knows she can be dropped at any moment if she doesn’t work her ass off so she doesn’t leave anything to chance.

by Anonymousreply 65September 10, 2020 1:05 PM

She’s a natural blonde, r65

by Anonymousreply 66September 10, 2020 1:12 PM

[Quote] she knows she can be dropped at any moment if she doesn’t work her ass off so she doesn’t leave anything to chance.

Her Lion King project has underperformed. Her duo album with Jay-Z wasn't so hot either.

by Anonymousreply 67September 10, 2020 1:12 PM

R63 yes. She is always shading other female artists. That is part of her own downfall. Many people dislike her for that.

by Anonymousreply 68September 10, 2020 1:13 PM

She's a dyed blonde, whatever her hair color is underneath the dye.

by Anonymousreply 69September 10, 2020 1:13 PM

The long black hair (sometimes with bangs) seemed to have some sort of mystical power. After she cut that off for the super short Miley Karen look, her career started slipping.

I thought Teenage Dream and the songs she tacked on for the re-release were great. She needs to get back with Dr Luke and Bonnie McKee who helped fix/enhance her songs, write lyrics, etc. I never believed Dr Luke sexually harassed anyone. I bet Katy wishes she could work with him again.

by Anonymousreply 70September 10, 2020 1:14 PM

Her career has never been the same since she ditched her long, dark hair in favor of the Ellen DeGeneres hairstyle and then started preaching about politics. And there is also the fact that no one lasts forever. She was lucky to have as good of a run as she did. Many people thought I Kissed A Girl would be a one hit wonder, but then she proved them all wrong when Hot N Cold, Firework, E.T., Roar, Teenage Dream, California Gurls, Dark Horse, Part of Me, etc. were hits as well.

The young kids don't really care to see a 35-year-old woman make dance pop and she just doesn't have the talent or creativity to make anything else of any interest. Plus that kind of music isn't doing that well anyway. The charts today are mostly dominated by rap and Katy is most definitely not a rapper.

by Anonymousreply 71September 10, 2020 1:15 PM

She had a major breakdown during the era of her last album — Witness — and I think it changed her. She was struggling with a lot in 2017 and that album not performing as well as it did only fueled the fires. I think she eventually got help for her mental issues and decided to put her career on the back burner in favor of personal happiness (marrying Bloom and becoming a mother). Now I don't think she cares about success and just makes music for her fans, which is respectable.

by Anonymousreply 72September 10, 2020 1:16 PM

The haircut and bleaching was a result of her dealing with mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 73September 10, 2020 1:16 PM

R65 Beyoncé could start making meditation music and her label wouldn't drop her. Beyoncé as an artist no longer matters because she's become a black cultural icon. She could start making country music and she'd still be famous. Nobody really gives a fuck about her music, it's all about her specifically.

by Anonymousreply 74September 10, 2020 1:18 PM

R74, She actually has experimented with country music before. I remember she performed this with the Dixie Chicks on The Country Music Awards and many of the country fans watching were really pissed that Beyonce was on there. I bet we all know why.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 10, 2020 1:26 PM

Beyoncé is from the south. Her roots are southern music and R&B. She’s spoken about this.

by Anonymousreply 76September 10, 2020 1:31 PM

Katy talks about mental health issues.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77September 10, 2020 1:36 PM

Talking about depression due to Witness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78September 10, 2020 1:37 PM

Record sales as a measure of success ended a decade ago

by Anonymousreply 79September 10, 2020 1:37 PM

Please, remind us who she is. Fame is so fleeting

by Anonymousreply 80September 10, 2020 1:37 PM

On the Howard Stern show discussing how this album helped her deal with mental health issues.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81September 10, 2020 1:38 PM

Can't pad record sales with concert tickets this time. Pop music is up for a rude awakening.

by Anonymousreply 82September 10, 2020 1:42 PM

She is a very curious case. It's true that from the beginning she was always more a hit maker than someone who sells a lot of albums, but for a while she was everywhere, hit after hit, and suddenly she started to tank.

I think she makes teen oriented pop and her fans simply grow up. She didn't evolve to kept them and right now she is in a tough position

by Anonymousreply 83September 10, 2020 1:57 PM

Teenage Dream turned 10 this year. I’m shocked she didn’t release an anniversary edition of that album

by Anonymousreply 84September 10, 2020 2:00 PM

R84 Teenage dream was huge, the first five singles were number one

by Anonymousreply 85September 10, 2020 2:03 PM

R85 I am aware, which is why I am shocked she isn’t releasing an Anniversary edition.

by Anonymousreply 86September 10, 2020 2:05 PM

[Quote] I’m shocked she didn’t release an anniversary edition of that album

That would be admitting she's a legacy act.

by Anonymousreply 87September 10, 2020 2:05 PM

What the fuck is a legacy act????

by Anonymousreply 88September 10, 2020 3:53 PM

I like the new music. It's good but I do think AI hurt her fan base. Plus, pushing 40 doesn't help.

by Anonymousreply 89September 10, 2020 4:00 PM

R8, I don't think it's fair to lump Gaga in with those other "pop girls". She is truly talented, and has become a true artist over the years. She's more than just a product - the same cannot be said for Britney, Katy, and Rihanna (to a lesser degree), unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 90September 10, 2020 4:25 PM

R16, yeah, I fear the music industry may be on its way out and the album may die out as an artform. People need to roll back on the streaming and actually commit to buying an album every once in a while. We really need to "roll back" on much of technology, it's getting out of hand.

by Anonymousreply 91September 10, 2020 4:28 PM

You're acting like most albums are even worth people's time. Most albums have always been "the singles + filler." Even trendy "concept albums" had plenty of bloated, inessential material.

by Anonymousreply 92September 10, 2020 4:31 PM

Gaga's problem is that she's clearly no longer interested in music and wants to branch out into other things, but has a contract to fulfill. She's barely promoted her new album, Chromatica. Her last two albums were "personal projects". She's spent the last five years branching into acting and cosmetics. Gaga is clearly done with being Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 93September 10, 2020 4:32 PM

Only with pop music, r92.

by Anonymousreply 94September 10, 2020 4:38 PM

Concept albums as an idea were a recent thing in music history. They say it was Woody Guthrie, The Beatles, Miles Davis and Bob Dylan that pioneered the cohesive/concept album. Concept albums are still around in country, folk, hip-hop, soul/R&B and rock music. They have never really been a pop music thing.

by Anonymousreply 95September 10, 2020 4:39 PM

There's classical music. And there's pop music.

by Anonymousreply 96September 10, 2020 4:52 PM

It's really hard to do a concept album in pop because pop music is designed to simple, catchy and appeal to a wide audience which makes it pretty hard for deep storytelling and continuity. But Janet Jackson, Madonna, Beyonce, Mariah and Christina Aguilera have concept albums though.

by Anonymousreply 97September 10, 2020 5:01 PM

For a female singer to thrive past age 30, she has to be talented, or be a compelling figure. Katy is neither.

Beyonce, Rihanna, Gaga, Madonna, Barbra, Taylor, Celine and Adele are all talented and compelling figures.

by Anonymousreply 98September 10, 2020 5:01 PM

R96 There's pop music with a cultural influence and message, think Madonna, Laly Gaga, Beyonce etc. Katy on the other hand never released anything substantial and meaningful.

by Anonymousreply 99September 10, 2020 5:03 PM

[Quote] It's really hard to do a concept album in pop because pop music is designed to simple, catchy and appeal to a wide audience which makes it pretty hard for deep storytelling and continuity.

That is such bullshit. Aimee Mann writes pop music. She also has a concept album ("The Forgotten Arm").

by Anonymousreply 100September 10, 2020 5:04 PM

Is Cher very talented? Her last album was just ABBA covers.

by Anonymousreply 101September 10, 2020 5:05 PM

I don't think she's aware enough to fight for it, but I can picture a world where she successfully pivots to a Sheryl Crow-type of sound and image. The overt campiness of her children's TV host "image" truly got old after Teenage Dream, yet she continues to this day. The ONLY performance of hers I've ever liked — ever — was a downbeat Fountains of Wayne cover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102September 10, 2020 5:15 PM

I never really liked Katy Perry. She always seemed fake. She started out doing Christian pop music under her birth name Katy Hudson. She just dyed her hair black and wore eyeliner which made her resemble Zooey Deschanel and started singing folk pop music. Then she became a manufactured pop tart with the help of Max Martin and Dr. Luke. Then she went to host and judge on a bunch of reality competition shows. She just seems a businesswoman that wants money than a true artist, no different than a lot of other pop stars. Support real musicians please.

by Anonymousreply 103September 10, 2020 5:20 PM

But despite my dislike of her, I admit Teenage Dream and California Girls are catchy and my guilty pleasures. Other than that, I don't care for her.

by Anonymousreply 104September 10, 2020 5:24 PM

R48 Seriously, go fuck yourself. Luke is such a flop that he has to use aliases to fool people into streaming any song he writes. Doja Cat's career is going to tank because he co-wrote her only hit record. If you have to resort to deception to make money because people hate your ass so much, then you are pretty much a lost cause.

by Anonymousreply 105September 10, 2020 5:26 PM

Her voice works best with a more light-rock sound.

by Anonymousreply 106September 10, 2020 5:26 PM

She’s overexposed and boring.

by Anonymousreply 107September 10, 2020 5:29 PM

She had quite the run; things end eventually.

Still has more money than I'll ever have.

by Anonymousreply 108September 10, 2020 5:33 PM

Her first album, One Of The Boys, is a pop-rock album and it's lightyears better than anything that has come after it. She should just return to that sound.

by Anonymousreply 109September 10, 2020 5:34 PM

r98 I think for some they can feel the pressure even before 30, Pink's people placed the marker down at 35 when she planned on releasing a new album in 2017, she talks about it here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110September 10, 2020 5:38 PM

It's not just an artist's chronological age. It's also how long they've been in the business. Everyone becomes uncool to the teens.

by Anonymousreply 111September 10, 2020 5:40 PM

Also, she hasn't really ever built a large gay fanbase. As we've known time and time again, the most loyal fanbase are gays.

by Anonymousreply 112September 10, 2020 5:42 PM

oops that was really more of a mention than a talk, still quite interesting

by Anonymousreply 113September 10, 2020 5:42 PM

Katy Perry was always more of an old fashioned showgirl type, her shows were very pretty, raunchy in a cute way, almost burlesque in style - it was never something that was going to last

by Anonymousreply 114September 10, 2020 5:44 PM

in the "current climate", I mean - I'm one of the people who thinks she could come back if she wanted, but the magic black hair would have to make a return as well

by Anonymousreply 115September 10, 2020 5:46 PM

[Quote] Katy Perry was always more of an old fashioned showgirl type, her shows were very pretty, raunchy in a cute way, almost burlesque in style - it was never something that was going to last

Ohreally?

by Anonymousreply 116September 10, 2020 5:48 PM

I like KP - must admit I've not listened much to this new album so I haven't got an opinion on it yet, I think it's just a consequence of her not being as well-liked and fresh as she was in her Teenage Dream era when her singles dominated the airwaves.

I really like the song "Never Really Over" though and was surprised that it didn't do as well in the charts as some of her other songs.

I feel like she needs to bang out an awesome Greatest Hits collection with 2-3 really great new tracks for Christmas, get back some mojo and get some new producers/songwriters in for the next album, go a bit less safe.

by Anonymousreply 117September 10, 2020 5:58 PM

She’s too gimmicky with all the random props and silly costumes. It’s not “in” anymore. Too goofy.

by Anonymousreply 118September 10, 2020 5:59 PM

Greatest Hits collections have been rendered obsolete by streaming.

by Anonymousreply 119September 10, 2020 6:08 PM

Watch her get a talk show in the next 5 years. Hell, make it 3.

by Anonymousreply 120September 10, 2020 6:13 PM

Pop music in general seems to be on life support these days. Even an artist like Gaga who has delivered solid pop in the past seem to be phoning it in mostly. Pop music should primarily be fun and catchy and when it gets too conceptual or rigidly locked into trying to fit a theme of an album, it can seem forced and airless. The best example of good pop music currently is probably Dua Lipa. She actually released an unabashedly well produced and hit laden pop album that doesn't seem too overwrought or trend chasing.

by Anonymousreply 121September 10, 2020 6:13 PM

Jessie Ware's "What's Your Pleasure" should be getting more attention.

by Anonymousreply 122September 10, 2020 6:15 PM

The world is dying for something new. We’ve had these same 6 or 7 pop tarts recycling the same old schlock.

Remember when Ricky Martin came out and was so dazzling? We need someone to come out of nowhere and give the people what they want. Someone unknown to most people like Ricky.

by Anonymousreply 123September 10, 2020 6:17 PM

She bombed so hard, she needs to get herself a talk show.

by Anonymousreply 124September 10, 2020 6:18 PM

R123 We do have that already. Billie Eilish.

by Anonymousreply 125September 10, 2020 6:20 PM

R111 And that's the reason why you need adult fans.

Pablo Alborán came out of the closet this year, some people are wondering how a singer who is so popular with women is going to survive now that everyone knows he is gay. The answer is without any problem because he has a big adult fanbase and his fans really like his music.

When you only rely on teens you are done in a short time, because they change their taste overnight. You need to grow up with your fans.

Anyway i don't agree pop girls are done. It's true that they lived better times, but Ariana Grande is doing perfectly fine and one can't dismiss Rihanna, because she didn't release a song in a long time and of course Taylor Swift is doing very well.

Perry needs to rethink herself and do the music she wants to do without looking for big hits or what's trendy or she will follow Madonna's path but several decades younger

by Anonymousreply 126September 10, 2020 6:25 PM

Well then we need someone else, r125.

by Anonymousreply 127September 10, 2020 6:28 PM

R123 Unknown? Ricky Martin was everywhere at the beginning of the millenium. Living la vida loca was a planetary hit, and he was always big on the latin market. He was famous since teenager.

It's curious that coming out not only didn't damage his career but relived it

by Anonymousreply 128September 10, 2020 6:30 PM

Relived it where?

by Anonymousreply 129September 10, 2020 6:33 PM

All the female singers are over when reaching 40. Beyoncé, Rihanna, Pink, Britney, Christina, Gaga etc no longer sell like they used to.

Mad respect for Madonna

by Anonymousreply 130September 10, 2020 6:47 PM

The marketing of this album was so stupid and confusing. The album was supposed to be about "getting her smile back," but then she has all these sad clown motif images. Then, the big single is "Daisy" which is about not giving up until you're dead and covered with daisies (??) and then she names her daughter that?

by Anonymousreply 131September 10, 2020 6:52 PM

R125, Billie Eilish has one good song (bad guy). All the rest are dreary, boring trash. I can't understand how she got so popular. I guess teenagers identify with her depressed outsider appearance. If she is the future of pop, then pop really is dead.

by Anonymousreply 132September 10, 2020 6:54 PM

[quote] Mad respect for Madonna

It's crazy how she managed to have big singles and albums into her late 40s. Consistently. That's part of the reason I cringe when I see her so desperately hanging on to her fame and not accepting the fact that she's a legacy act now.

by Anonymousreply 133September 10, 2020 6:55 PM

[quote]Anyway i don't agree pop girls are done. It's true that they lived better times, but Ariana Grande is doing perfectly fine and one can't dismiss Rihanna, because she didn't release a song in a long time and of course Taylor Swift is doing very well.

Taylor is a great songwriter and has a massive fanbase in the US and UK. Ariana has moved away from pure pop and more into R&B, which was a smart move for the sake of career longevity. Rihanna also moved into a R&B sound.

The pure pop sound of Katy and Britney is dead in the US and it's not coming back anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 134September 10, 2020 6:57 PM

Duh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135September 10, 2020 6:58 PM

Debbie Harry had a #1 single aged 54. Cher had one at a similar age. And of course, Tina Turner only became a solo success in her forties.

by Anonymousreply 136September 10, 2020 6:59 PM

Last friday night is fun as fuk

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137September 10, 2020 6:59 PM

[quote]Imagine a world where you don’t have to look like a model to be a musician.

Lizzo, Louis Capaldi, Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith...

by Anonymousreply 138September 10, 2020 7:05 PM

Billie Eilish appears to have already peaked. She's released 4 songs since Bad Guy and they've all flopped, including that dreadful Bond theme. She got too much fame and critical success too early in her career.

by Anonymousreply 139September 10, 2020 7:07 PM

B.E. is more of a model, a vibe, her vocals are just window dressing for whichever of her fans want to feel a connection to her or project themselves onto her.

by Anonymousreply 140September 10, 2020 7:08 PM

R140 Lana Del Rey is the same. Summertime sadness was catchy but the rest of her songs sounded like window dressing.

by Anonymousreply 141September 10, 2020 7:11 PM

[quote] Imagine a world where you don’t have to look like a model to be a musician.

Adele.

by Anonymousreply 142September 10, 2020 7:14 PM

Music is cyclical. Nobody thought pop music would have another peak in the early to mid 2010s back in the mid 2000s, when R&B and hip-hop dominated radio. Then came Kesha with TikTok, Gaga with Bad Romance, Rihanna with Only Girl, Katy with California Gurls, etc. Female-fronted pop is in another lull, with slight upticks with Ariana and the Thank U, Next album, Billie Eilish, and Dua Lipa. It'll have another resurgence this decade, probably in the next few years.

by Anonymousreply 143September 10, 2020 7:14 PM

R130 Madonna doesn’t sell like she used to either and Rihanna doesn’t sell because she’s not releasing jack shit. We’ve been waiting for her record for years.

R74 I didn’t mean Beyoncé getting dropped by her label but rather dropped by the public. Having said that, she wouldn’t be dropped by her label either of course because she’s made herself compelling enough to not be. Like you said, she’s a cultural icon. She’d have to have a Mariah style breakdown or do something really bad for that to happen.

Katy is just out of vogue right now. She needs to take a break..maybe even from idol and then come back with her usual kooky bubblegum fun stuff with a good message. I believe in her pop stardom whether she can sing or not, she’s had really good catchy music.

Gaga on the other hand, for me, will never come back I don’t care how talented she is (which she is as a singer and a pianist). The reason we liked Gaga was for her songs on The Fame and the image that came with that. Once we discovered her image was fake, manufactured by Laurriene Gibson and a rip off of several posters especially Madge, she was finished. Steffani Germanotta is not that compelling and unfortunately, she’s also a shit songwriter/producer. Can’t she just have one record where she partners with really great songwriters and producers? Britney does it, Rihanna does it, lots of people do it..ain’t no shame in that!

by Anonymousreply 144September 10, 2020 7:15 PM

[quote] Debbie Harry had a #1 single aged 54. Cher had one at a similar age. And of course, Tina Turner only became a solo success in her forties.

True, but none of those women had the consistent success Madonna had in her 40s, from the Ray of Light era to COADF. Even Hard Candy was a minor hit. What other person was topping the charts in 40+ countries at the age of 47?

by Anonymousreply 145September 10, 2020 7:16 PM

[quote] Madonna doesn’t sell like she used to either

Of course not--she's 60.

by Anonymousreply 146September 10, 2020 7:17 PM

[quote] What other person was topping the charts in 40+ countries at the age of 47?

Meant to say that Madonna had several huge hits in her 40s--Hung Up being the last really huge one and 4 minutes being a small hit too.

by Anonymousreply 147September 10, 2020 7:19 PM

Madonna’s Confession on A Dance Floor is one the of best selling albums of the year 2005 when she was 45 yo. The album has sold over 11 mil records worldwide

by Anonymousreply 148September 10, 2020 7:20 PM

Katy's problem is that she's still trying to have mass appeal even though her five minutes were up years ago. Gaga gave up with trying to have mass appeal some time around "Born This Way" and just started making music for the gays and for herself. And it's payed off, because she's still floating all these years later. Katy refuses to find a target demographic and stick to pandering towards it, she keeps trying to make "hits", and as a result she's drowning.

by Anonymousreply 149September 10, 2020 7:20 PM

[Quote] none of those women had the consistent success

Not true. Tina was a big seller from "Private Dancer" in the early/mide 1980s up until the end of the 1990s when she retired. The US didn't care much by the late 1980s but the rest of the world did.

by Anonymousreply 150September 10, 2020 7:20 PM

Katy's major demographic isn't Americans anymore. She's HUGE in foreign countries, especially Brazil and India. She's doing just fine because of how foreign countries like picking through the dregs of America's culture, everything hits them 5 years after it hits us. Katy's still a relevant star in South America and Southern Asia.

by Anonymousreply 151September 10, 2020 7:24 PM

r139 I find it difficult to tell what are hits and what are flops these days, because everything seems to rise to the top of some digital chart, and records are broken, and fans celebrate etc etc But evidently, that all means very little!

by Anonymousreply 152September 10, 2020 7:24 PM

Katy Perry: Smile

Nuns: Karma BITCH.

I wonder if it will drop off the charts entirely this next week. Even Madame X didn't flop this hard.

by Anonymousreply 153September 10, 2020 7:24 PM

R129 You know USA is not the only musical market, or at least you should know that

by Anonymousreply 154September 10, 2020 7:26 PM

And for those craving that pure, sugary dance pop, it's still available via fringe artists who aren't necessarily mainstream yet. Rina Sawayama is probably the best example that popheads will go to. This song is just dance floor camp!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155September 10, 2020 7:29 PM

I can't forgive Rina Sawayama for utilising Nu Metal. Fred Durst might even have a comeback. Bleugh.

by Anonymousreply 156September 10, 2020 7:31 PM

R156 Poppy already brought back Nu Metal before Rina did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157September 10, 2020 7:35 PM

Poppy was kind enough to remain obscure.

by Anonymousreply 158September 10, 2020 7:37 PM

Where she really went wrong was doing the Halftime Show in early 2015...and then not releasing an album for two and a half years after that. She was already starting to slip in popularity at that point, and it would have guaranteed her a hit record.

Personally, I found her appealing at first because she seemed in on the joke and seemed to realize that she wouldn’t be on top forever and was just enjoying it. Then she started taking herself too seriously with Witness and it’s been downhill since.

by Anonymousreply 159September 10, 2020 7:37 PM

[quote] Not true. Tina was a big seller from "Private Dancer" in the early/mide 1980s up until the end of the 1990s when she retired. The US didn't care much by the late 1980s but the rest of the world did.

Based on her discography entry on wiki, her big hits in the 80s were almost all in the Private Dancer era. Madonna had huge success in her 20s, 30 and 40s. That kind of success--especially for a woman and ESPECIALLY for a woman in pop--is unfathomable. Gaga was struggling in her twenties to continue the success she had with The Fame until she had A Star is Born. Let's see where she is in her 40s. And we know Britney stopped having hits after her early 30s.

by Anonymousreply 160September 10, 2020 7:40 PM

R147, r148 Madonna is a phenomenon but I think Whitney and Michael would have continued to succeed like her if it wasn’t for being a druggy and a crazy person respectfully. In some ways, Madonna’s need for attention and relevance is way stronger than her craziness and so it has somehow kept her away from the pitfalls that befell George Michael, MJ and Whitney. She was also very lucky to have moved to Europe in her 40s and make pop music on the heels of Kylie’s success with Fever. Her music had a ready audience there unlike America which was a youth obsessed Britney world.

Also, music is very disposable now and the labels don’t develop and promote artists like they used to even in 2005. In the 80s and 90s it was quite possible for artists to have hits in their 40s like Diana, Tina and Aretha did in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 161September 10, 2020 7:40 PM

Michael wouldn't have been relevant in the 2010's had he not died. He would have been cancelled either during the #MeToo era for the Leaving Neverland shit or he would have been cancelled during the BLM era for bleaching his skin and for songs like "Black Or White". Either way his career wouldn't have made it.

by Anonymousreply 162September 10, 2020 7:50 PM

Madonna was also older than artists like Michael and Whitney when she got into the business. She was 24 when “everybody” came out and I think she really appreciated her success more. It’s like Meryl who really started making films in her 30s...she’s just smarter than an artist who got famous really young.

Madge also seemed somewhat more grounded back then having struggled for years in NY and appeared to be surrounded by more solid people like her brother who kept it real with her. She also knew, like everybody knew, that she wasn’t as talented as all the other artists on the charts and so she had to work hard (like JLO does now). I think her fear of losing her career, her suffering to get there, her endless need for attention really maintained her.

Artists who came from the bottom and know where they came from and what it took to get them there are not willing to lose it. Diana Ross is another one who really doesn’t get enough credit...from The Supremes to her solo career at a time when women, let alone black women, were so minimized.

by Anonymousreply 163September 10, 2020 7:59 PM

I think Dua Lipa has completely replaced her. Similiar voice, sound, look and image - just better than Katy in all regards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164September 10, 2020 8:09 PM

I think she actually has singing chops (can hit notes), but it sounds more like yelling or screaming than singing.

by Anonymousreply 165September 10, 2020 8:11 PM

That's nonsense, R3.

The two biggest tours in the world last year were...U2 and the Stones.

by Anonymousreply 166September 10, 2020 8:15 PM

She is ok I like some of her songs especially “one kiss” but she’s not at Katy’s level oh please! Katy has actually had a very stellar career she’s just having a bad moment.

by Anonymousreply 167September 10, 2020 8:20 PM

^^ in response to r164

by Anonymousreply 168September 10, 2020 8:21 PM

R168 = crazed Frau.

Here's another post from this starfucker: "Yup! Megharry have paid back the $3.1 Million of taxpayer money that went into renovating Frogmore Cottage. Come on, love them or hate them, you’ve got to admire them for that right?

How long until they’re billionaires? Meghzy will not stop until the royal family come begging for her to come back! Suck it Kate!"

In this idiot's world, Katy Perry has singing talent and Meghan Markle is a beloved public figure.

I love fraus.

by Anonymousreply 169September 10, 2020 8:25 PM

No one’s gonna mistake her for Adele, but I do like Katy’s voice.

by Anonymousreply 170September 10, 2020 8:27 PM

The frau-do and being well past 30 is pretty much what did her in. She had a good run with such limited vocals.

by Anonymousreply 171September 10, 2020 8:33 PM

She's lucky in the sense that her fame allowed her to meet, fall in love with, marry, and get knocked up by Orlando Bloom. With his money her success doesn't matter. She could flop for the rest of her life and still die a multi-millionaire.

Not to mention she's got Orlando's hot cock and ass.

by Anonymousreply 172September 10, 2020 8:37 PM

R164, Dua is nowhere near Katy's level of success. Katy had huge album/single sales and high-grossing concert tours during her peak years. She also performed at the Super Bowl halftime show. Dua has had none of that, especially in the US.

by Anonymousreply 173September 10, 2020 9:19 PM

Katy really was like Paula Abdul. It was Paula Abdul--not Madonna, Mariah or Celine--who came close to tying Whitney's record of 7 consecutive number one hits. And it was Katy Perry who tied Michael Jackson's record for 5 number one hits from one album. Both of these things are quaint to think about now and both these women had about 5 years of popularity before crashing and burning. And they both were the non-singer judges during their runs on American Idol.

by Anonymousreply 174September 10, 2020 9:23 PM

At least Paula was smart enough to not go back after her last album flopped.

by Anonymousreply 175September 10, 2020 9:47 PM

R175, I do miss the old days--i.e. the 90s--where when someone flopped, they were never heard from again. Now, someone flops, and they seem to get a million opportunities to try again. And sometimes they succeed!

by Anonymousreply 176September 10, 2020 9:51 PM

"Smart enough." I think she was able to release one single in the 21st century.

by Anonymousreply 177September 10, 2020 9:51 PM

Katie and Adam Lambert have the same original hair color. And it ain't black.

by Anonymousreply 178September 10, 2020 10:13 PM

She isn't married.

by Anonymousreply 179September 10, 2020 10:18 PM

[quote]Madonna was also older than artists like Michael and Whitney when she got into the business. She was 24 when “everybody” came out and I think she really appreciated her success more.

And it made her more of a grounded person because she had lived an adult life in the real world and knew what reality was about. Michael and Whitney never had that.

by Anonymousreply 180September 10, 2020 11:11 PM

R180, I was going to say that. Both Whitney and Michael had early adulthoods that were taken from them. They always had to maintain the "perfect" image until it consumed them--Michael before Whitney, of course.

by Anonymousreply 181September 10, 2020 11:12 PM

[quote]The world is dying for something new. We’ve had these same 6 or 7 pop tarts recycling the same old schlock.

True. It's the same beats with the same style of lyrics and the same choreographed backup dancers. It's been going on for YEARS now and I really think people are sick of it.

I don't like Billie Eilish but I can understand why she was a big deal right out of the gate because at least she was something different.

by Anonymousreply 182September 10, 2020 11:22 PM

R144, Gaga won three Grammy's last year, a couple the year before, an Oscar that year as well, moved over 9 million units of A Star is Born at time when numbers like that just don't happen for pop starts not named Adele or Taylor, moved over 2 million units of Chromatica, and her last three singles have gone 1, 5, and 1.

She ain't over just yet. I agree I thought she was around 2015-1016. But she rebounded big time.

by Anonymousreply 183September 10, 2020 11:22 PM

R121, I disagree wholeheartedly. Chromatica is Gaga's best album because it is so conceptual, personal, and detailed. She's pushed the boundaries of what pop music can be several times, but never more than with this album. It is essentially a concept album.

by Anonymousreply 184September 11, 2020 12:11 AM

R125, Billie Eilish's album is actually really bad. An example of people just liking something because it's trendy, for sure

by Anonymousreply 185September 11, 2020 12:13 AM

[quote] K-Pop has supplanted Katy.

I actually listen to K-Pop and watch their videos more than I do American artists. It reminds me of the days of MTV and the 1990s when Michael Jackson dominated the scene. The dancing is mesmerizing.

BTS has topped the charts because their message is more positive and uplifting than the hits from American artists who are mostly rappers who rap about sex, drugs, partying, etc. IMO, they're popular because of Social Media. Their music is mediocre at best, there are other K-pop artists better and more talented than those 5. They just happened to get lucky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186September 11, 2020 12:35 AM

I really don't think Orlando is going to marry her. I'm really feeling runaway groom.

by Anonymousreply 187September 11, 2020 12:50 AM

I’ve been waiting hours during prime time to clarify that Ricky Martin coming out on the scene, not coming out of the closer.

by Anonymousreply 188September 11, 2020 1:00 AM

closet.

by Anonymousreply 189September 11, 2020 1:00 AM

[quote] Her career went downhill when she decided to become a judge on AI. She seemed to be at the top of her career and that seemed like a downgrade.

AI overexposed her. She is no longer viable as a pop artist. Same thing happened to JLo and Mariah.

by Anonymousreply 190September 11, 2020 1:04 AM

It was new and refreshing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191September 11, 2020 1:04 AM

Michael Jackson was already a joke in the 1990s, he didn't dominate any scene.

by Anonymousreply 192September 11, 2020 1:28 AM

I can’t believe a team of people let this be the name of her album. Brian Wilson has his own mental health issues on a much grander scale and has the talent to create amazing melodies that have been iconic for decades. Why invite the comparison?

by Anonymousreply 193September 11, 2020 6:21 AM

Katy Perry's fanbase has no idea who Brian Wilson is.

by Anonymousreply 194September 11, 2020 6:45 AM

But her critics do.

by Anonymousreply 195September 11, 2020 8:43 AM

[quote]I think she's a good person, but that generic kind of music is just... generic.

Nah, she’s a monster. I’ve read about it and met people with first-hand knowledge. I mean...if you ever seen one of her interviews, it's fairly obvious she's high maintenance as FUCK. She and Orlando will NOT make it.

That being said...

Her work with Dr. Luke is poppy as hell BUT great. That guy can create a hook that would catch a shark.

by Anonymousreply 196September 11, 2020 10:01 AM

R63 & R68 Perry also has a history of being a cunt to Britney Spears, including mocking her mental health condition at the 2017 Grammys. It was totally unwarranted. So to see her cry about her mental health in that clip at R77 made me give her the side eye.

by Anonymousreply 197September 11, 2020 10:32 AM

by Anonymousreply 198September 11, 2020 10:43 AM

Thoughts, you ask, OP?

Here’s a thought: she kissed a girl (and liked it) 13 years ago and you’re still talking about her.

by Anonymousreply 199September 11, 2020 10:50 AM

R197 I think she is a pretty rude and condescending person most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 200September 11, 2020 11:32 AM

R197 Here. I absolutely agree, R200.

by Anonymousreply 201September 11, 2020 11:35 AM

Gaga can’t sell for shit. She was lucky to get Ari to help her get streams. The current pop girls blow her away. Katy has far more hits and #1s. Katy overall is more popular than Gaga and has a more pleasant voice than Gaga honking caterwauling.

by Anonymousreply 202September 11, 2020 11:41 AM

Side Note: I know that Marc Jacobs didn't invent check patterns, and that the look in OP's photo of Perry's album cover is decidedly more on the costume side of fashion (as a lot of Moschino can be)...but it immediately reminded me of Jacobs' SS 2013 collection for Louis Vuitton.

The Vuitton collection was steeped in/inspired by the 1960s. Jeremy Scott's sense of whimsy can be entertaining, but he's no Marc Jacobs for Louus Vuitton. In fact, Vuitton was the pinnacle of Jacobs' career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203September 11, 2020 12:02 PM

R203 Katy never delivered anything more than entertainment. I don't think of her a as an artist, she's just a performer and face/voice for the output of her producers. Gaga has real culture influence, she changed societies and the lives of millions of people with her songs (e. g. Born This Way was a huge hit in Asia and opened up the idea of self love and diversity to these people).

by Anonymousreply 204September 11, 2020 12:21 PM

R185 I don't know if it's bad but it's incredibly boring, but it has some good songs (when the party is over or Lovely) so there's some hope fo the future

by Anonymousreply 205September 11, 2020 2:03 PM

R196 I agree she’s high maintenance. Orlando said in his Howard stern interview that they had problems because she couldn’t understand that his son came first in his life. That was a reason for their first break up.

by Anonymousreply 206September 11, 2020 2:07 PM

[quote] Gaga has real culture influence, she changed societies and the lives of millions of people with her songs

Changed societies? Let's not get carried away--she wasn't The Beatles or Elvis.

by Anonymousreply 207September 11, 2020 2:13 PM

R207, Gaga is a cultural force though. I'd say Born This Way helped lead to the passage of gay marriage, for example.

by Anonymousreply 208September 11, 2020 4:14 PM

And Marry the Night inspired the wedding of Kel Night and Kath Day Night.

by Anonymousreply 209September 11, 2020 4:16 PM

I like the song Daises 🌼

by Anonymousreply 210September 11, 2020 4:18 PM

Has anyone actually listened to the album? Is it better than witness?

by Anonymousreply 211September 11, 2020 4:44 PM

Katie is great doing this song. She looks better than usual too. I like the short blonde hair. Why wasn't it a big hit?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212September 11, 2020 4:52 PM

Pop music life is short.

by Anonymousreply 213September 11, 2020 5:05 PM

R187 ia. thought it was just me thinking that.

He always seems to be forcing a smile when he’s with her, and his dead sad eyes belie the effort. She appears to drag him behind her in pictures, as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214September 11, 2020 5:09 PM

R206 wasn’t it discovered that the son of Miranda’s who Orlando raised isn’t actually his?

by Anonymousreply 215September 11, 2020 5:10 PM

R214, they go really well together. Two has-beens.

by Anonymousreply 216September 11, 2020 5:11 PM

The world left her behind in 2015, She is a relic of early 2010’s , next.

by Anonymousreply 217September 11, 2020 5:13 PM

She lost the best thing about her music.

Producer/alleged rapist Dr. Luke.

by Anonymousreply 218September 11, 2020 5:18 PM

[Quote] At least Paula was smart enough to not go back after her last album flopped.

That's not actually true. Paula did try to come back multiple times after the flop album. First with the song Spinning Around, which was given to Kylie Minogue, who used it for her own comeback album, after Paula couldn't find another label to sign her. Then she released two mega flop singles in the late 00's during her time on Idol. Most recently, she did her tacky Vegas residency. Just because no one noticed or cared about her attempts to reestablish her relevancy doesn't mean she didn't do what Katy's doing now with this latest flop.

by Anonymousreply 219September 11, 2020 5:20 PM

R219, that's why I miss the 90s. If someone was trying to comeback, you wouldn't hear too much about it unless they were actually on their way back up. Now, someone like Katy is getting tons of attention after flopping with two albums. BORING.

by Anonymousreply 220September 11, 2020 5:23 PM

R220 We're also in the middle of a pandemic and there's limited entertainment news right now, so this kind of flop is really one of the only stories out there. If this were during normal times, it wouldn't be getting this much press. Also, the pandemic is likely going to be Katy's excuse for why this album flopped, the way artists used (and still use) 9/11 as an excuse for flops during that time. Katy's label probably will give her one more chance to flop in a few years time and then drop her like used garbage. Alicia Keys' team was smart enough to postpone the release of her new album this year, probably to avoid sharing Katy's fate.

by Anonymousreply 221September 11, 2020 5:29 PM

And the difference with Alicia Keys is that she did have a hit this year, with that song featured in the Amazon commercials. Katy didn't even have one moderate hit under her belt from this flop. Embarrassing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222September 11, 2020 5:31 PM

Alicia Keys has talent whether her album flops or not. Katy Perry can't sing. Or dance. Or play music. Or entertain. Or stop being an asshole. It's time to get fat and relax now Katy. You're headscratchingly bad.

by Anonymousreply 223September 11, 2020 5:34 PM

R219 Paula’s career was stalled by the fact that she was in a plane crash!

Gaga is the least interesting pop star ever! She can sing and play the piano and dance but she’s just sooo uninteresting. She’s such a disappointment to pop and to the music industry considering we all thought she was the greatest thing ever. She’s the Kourtney Kardashian of the pop world.

by Anonymousreply 224September 11, 2020 6:38 PM

IIRC Paula Abdul's career came to a screeching halt with that awful "Vibeology" performance on the MTV VMAs which turned her into a laughingstock. It was also the changing times, grunge and hip hop were taking over and dance pop was going out of style.

by Anonymousreply 225September 11, 2020 7:00 PM

R224 makes literally zero sense. How is Gaga the Kourtney Kardashian of music? Kourtney has zero talents, and Gaga obviously has talents, plural. They aren't comparable.

And even the most obsessed Gaga hater (OGH) can't deny Gaga is one of the most fascinating artists in music. So... make it make sense

by Anonymousreply 226September 11, 2020 7:07 PM

R225, Paula Abdul's music was also godawful and the epitome of pop fluff. She was one of the worst pop singers ever, but a gifted choreographer.

by Anonymousreply 227September 11, 2020 7:09 PM

I like some of Gaga's music, but as a "personality" she's rather uninteresting. She doesn't have much spark or charisma or sense of the outrageous, which Madonna had in spades when she was in her prime. Madonna always gave great interview.

by Anonymousreply 228September 11, 2020 7:10 PM

I always thought Paula was drinking lean out of her Coca-Cola cup on American Idol.

by Anonymousreply 229September 11, 2020 7:10 PM

R228, she's created a pretty fascinating mythology and alter ego though, which could only come from an "interesting" person with a lot of demons. There's more than one way to be interesting you know. Madonna was more playful and irreverent, Gaga is a philosophical type, a bit more serious

by Anonymousreply 230September 11, 2020 7:15 PM

But r230 she seems joyless and sullen. Not really something that's appealing in a pop star.

by Anonymousreply 231September 11, 2020 7:23 PM

Gaga is a total fraud. One affectation on top of another. She has no distinguishing personality and she is certainly not a philosopher. She's vocally talented. In a piano bar kind of way.

by Anonymousreply 232September 11, 2020 7:30 PM

R227 Paula Abdul's came around at the same time as Jody Watley, Karen White, Pebbles, Taylor Dayne, Shalamar, and Janet Jackson. Of her contemporaries, only Janet Jackson can be considered more successful. Paula did extend her fame with American Idol, which at the time, was one of the most watched shows in television history. It doesn't mean anything to judge the show now.

by Anonymousreply 233September 11, 2020 7:59 PM

R230 don’t forget Gaga store most of her gimmick from poor dead Peaches.

R233 I was obsessed with Jody Watley’s choreo & style as a babygay. OBSESSED. She’s the only truly cool pop artist to be mentioned on this thread so far, and she should have been so much bigger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234September 11, 2020 8:05 PM

^^*stole

by Anonymousreply 235September 11, 2020 8:05 PM

I like the album. It's good background noise when I'm doing chores.

by Anonymousreply 236September 11, 2020 8:15 PM

Peaches isn't dead.

by Anonymousreply 237September 11, 2020 8:16 PM

There is nothing special about Chromatica. Beyond 2-3 songs, it gets stale after only a few spins.

by Anonymousreply 238September 11, 2020 8:17 PM

I loved Jody Watley too! She had some fabulous songs, and unlike a lot of other dance pop from that era, her songs have held up really well.

by Anonymousreply 239September 11, 2020 8:17 PM

[Quote] Paula’s career was stalled by the fact that she was in a plane crash!

That plane crash never happened.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240September 11, 2020 8:29 PM

Paula's career stalled because My love is for real flopped. It was a risky move and it didn't work. The fact that CrazyCool flopped even harder didn't help.

Those were tough times, if the first single flopped you better have a hit on store or your career was in danger. Sometimes even if the first single did well, if the following flopped you were done too like what happened to Cyndi Lauper

by Anonymousreply 241September 11, 2020 8:32 PM

I love how a thread about Katy Perry's flop album has devolved into a discussion of Paula Abdul. Shows how irrelevant Katy is that we all find that coked up junkie more interesting than her. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 242September 11, 2020 8:35 PM

R232 exactly, Gaga talented as she is, is so boring as to appear as (cue Alexis Carrington) nothing more than a secondary lounge act! What’s her personality? Whitney, Mariah, Madonna all have/had personalities. Katy, Beyoncé’s, Rihanna, all have personalities. Gaga, she’s just a vacant personality. Even Ariana Grande has a personality. Even Jlo has a personality. Even Celine! Gaga needs to have her stardom revoked.

I think the problem with Gaga actually, is that she’s just an imposter, she posed as a brave person but in reality, she’s never been brave enough to show us who she really is. She lives in a very false place in her head and when she starts being more real, I bet her music will be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 243September 11, 2020 8:36 PM

The Vibeology performance was ridiculed everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 244September 11, 2020 8:36 PM

My Love is For Real was a good song. The album is pretty good overall. Music really became shit after 95.

by Anonymousreply 245September 11, 2020 8:36 PM

After thinking about it, I don't think the amount of hype and discussion of Katy's recent album is unique to this covid time period but it is something that seperates the pre-social media times from today. Think about Lady Gaga--she had a bunch of flops in between Born This Way and ASIB. Even Born this Way itself was not anywhere near as big as The Fame (combined with the EP). Yet every single album she released was constantly promoted and hyped as if it was the next big thing. In the 80s or 90s, I don't think that would have happened back before social media. Now, it's all about "trending" and even people who fail are constantly finding life somehow. I liked it better before, honestly.

by Anonymousreply 246September 11, 2020 8:50 PM

R246, Gaga never had a flop on par with Smile. ARTPOP sold three million copies and Joanne sold 2 million and won three grammys. She also released Cheek 2 Cheek to critical raves and had what many said is the best Super Bowl performance by a pop star (I think Prince still wins over all). She was around (performing the Sound of Music medley at the Oscars, getting an Oscar song nod for Til It Happens To You) and relevant even if she wasn't selling like she did during The Fame and Born This Way. Then ASIB happened and brought her back front and center.

Gaga has tons of haters and just as much die hard fans. That usually translates to a long career and (the haters posts notwithstanding), someone that enough people find "interesting" to keep her on their pop culture radar. Sadly, I don't think Katy has such a situation.

by Anonymousreply 247September 11, 2020 9:09 PM

ASIB was one of the biggest movies and albums of the past several years. It was HUGE. And everybody thought it would flop. Not to mention the fact that she won an Oscar and was nominated for every major acting award, including the Best Actress Oscar.

Her most recent single, Rain on Me, went Top 10 on more official charts around the world than any single by a female artist in over 5 years. Beyonce wishes she could still have that kind of global success.

Madonna has never had that kind of multi-media success and acclaim during her career.

by Anonymousreply 248September 11, 2020 9:12 PM

R248 Tons of BI talking about how that movie will tank, how it'll be unwatchable, and so on only to become a big hit

by Anonymousreply 249September 11, 2020 9:14 PM

[quote] Madonna has never had that kind of multi-media success and acclaim during her career.

I guess the last time we had a similar phenomenon to ASIB would be The Bodyguard. Did anyone know that one would be that big of a hit?It's one of those movies you look back on and go "really? THAT was a hit!?". The Whitney soundtrack is great though.

by Anonymousreply 250September 11, 2020 9:30 PM

I agree, R50. The Bodyguard and ASIB have many similarities. Big risk for the stars for sure. Huge payoffs for both as well. I know Gaga landed a plum role in the Gucci biopic starring Adam Driver, Pacino and Deniro. Whitney has some great roles post Bodyguard, too. Assume she would have had more if not for the whole junkie thing.

by Anonymousreply 251September 11, 2020 9:39 PM

Oops. Meant R250

by Anonymousreply 252September 11, 2020 9:39 PM

R208 Wow that’s an insulting post on so many levels.

R250 She was nowhere, and I mean nowhere, as big as Whitney and the Bodyguard. Gaga is not vocally talented. Her voice is grating and try hard. Taylor kills her on piano. Katy’s voice is more pleasant. Gaga is not popular among the general public. She can’t get hits on her own. Most of her latest sells are streaming only thanks to the far more talented and popular Ariana.

by Anonymousreply 253September 11, 2020 9:41 PM

R253, I know she has never been as big as Whitney, I'm saying The Bodyguard was a similar type of unexpected hit movie plus soundtrack though.

by Anonymousreply 254September 11, 2020 9:46 PM

Argh Gaga needs to be cancelled on the grounds of being chronically uninteresting! She cheated us all with her debut.

by Anonymousreply 255September 11, 2020 9:47 PM

R254 She is especially lucky as the movie itself was overhyped and mediocre, just like The Bodyguard. The soundtrack had some great songs on it though.

by Anonymousreply 256September 11, 2020 9:48 PM

Enough with the limited vocals shit. American Idol ruined singing. Now everyone sings the equivalent of over acting. It’s grating and lacks emotion. Most singers are average. They are successful because people like their voices. They connect to the lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 257September 11, 2020 9:48 PM

R253 I meant “sales”. I’m oh dearing myself

by Anonymousreply 258September 11, 2020 9:50 PM

R253 et al, we get it! You hate Gaga. Haha. Move on.

by Anonymousreply 259September 11, 2020 9:51 PM

Katy Perry would need to improve a lot to be considered an average singer R257. The girl can't sing. At all. She should limit herself to Happy Birthday.

by Anonymousreply 260September 11, 2020 9:53 PM

R257 Great point. Dionne Warwick is an example of a singer who could deliver sincere and heart wrenching vocals even with a limited range. Whitney could do both, a fact lost on her imitators. Gaga's style is overly theatrical but she's still a decent songwriter.

by Anonymousreply 261September 11, 2020 9:56 PM

Variety:

This year’s MTV VMAs delivered a whopping 41.1 million interactions across social media, making it the second most-socialed show of the year, behind only the Super Bowl (and only 7% behind at that).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262September 11, 2020 9:59 PM

R260 And she can't even do that well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263September 11, 2020 10:01 PM

yay.....been waiting for that boring fug to tumble.....

by Anonymousreply 264September 11, 2020 10:18 PM

R261 gags is not even a decent songwriter. She’s shit without Red One. She has like 5 or 6 writers on her songs. She’s a joke. Taylor blows her away. Katy is bombing but she has way more legit hits and #1s than gags.

by Anonymousreply 265September 11, 2020 10:30 PM

I also wonder why Lady Gaga doesn't want to work with Red One again. I think he was clearly the brains behind her sound and maybe even her image too.

by Anonymousreply 266September 11, 2020 10:56 PM

Katy's new album didn't even sell 100,000 copies WORLDWIDE its first week. Yikes! Biggest album bomb of all time?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267September 12, 2020 1:18 AM

I grew up with Toni Tennille, Karen Carpenter, Helen Reddy, and Olivia Newton-John.

Singers.

by Anonymousreply 268September 12, 2020 1:29 AM

[Quote] I think he was clearly the brains behind her sound

Then why aren't "Now United" stars outside of Brasil?

by Anonymousreply 269September 12, 2020 1:55 AM

R270 They are stars in the Philippines too, but the reason they aren't more famous worldwide is because Simon Fuller has not signed them to a legitimate major label and his management strategy is shit. They release one song a month, so their singles can't resonate with people. Not to mention that RedOne hasn't produced one of their songs in almost two years now.

Plus, Simon has invested 0 effort in trying to make Now United famous in America. If they broke the US market, the fame would follow worldwide. He did get them an appearance at the VMA's this year, but beyond that, nothing.

That's not to say Now United can't eventually break out globally (their material certain warrants it...see Legends), but until Simon starts to actually take them seriously and push them the way they need to be pushed in order to achieve global superstardom, then they aren't going anywhere.

With any artist, there are many things that have to align for things to take off. Now United has the talent and material to make it big, but they need the push. Whether that requires pushing Simon Fuller out as their manager or pushing the management to do their end of the job properly is up for discussion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270September 12, 2020 2:14 AM

Now United's catalogue is made up of mostly Euro Championship football theme tunes. "Na Na Na" has been their most commercially viable track so far. "Wake Up" is nice but the fanbase don't seem to be here for Noah.

by Anonymousreply 271September 12, 2020 2:18 AM

R215 never heard that rumour before. Who's the real dad?

by Anonymousreply 272September 12, 2020 2:22 AM

Actually, the RedOne produced "Who Would Think That Love" is their most successful single to date. It has over 100 million views on Youtube and they performed it live on So You Think You Can Dance and a bunch of other shows globally. If Simon had actually promoted this as a legitimate single, it could have been a top 10, maybe even a top 5 hit, but again, Simon's shitty management is largely to blame for why they aren't successful yet outside of Brazil and the Philippines.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273September 12, 2020 2:23 AM

"Who Would Think That Love" is a prime example of too "Euro-pop." It wouldn't have a chance of success in the US market.

by Anonymousreply 274September 12, 2020 2:27 AM

R274 It could have easily broken globally as a #1 record worldwide. It could have even been a top 10 hit here in the US, even though dance pop isn't trendy right now. The only reason it wasn't more successful is because of their management. Their lack of success is really on Simon. Not the group, not RedOne and not the fans.

by Anonymousreply 275September 12, 2020 2:29 AM

Music acts from non-English speaking countries have a lot of trouble breaking into the US market.

by Anonymousreply 276September 12, 2020 2:29 AM

By the way, for those of you who don't know, Simon Fuller is the manager of the Spice Girls and S Club 7 and he created the American Idol franchise. He has a good track record of making these types of groups work, but his reliance on corporate sponsorships (Pepsi and Rexona finance the group) and not breaking them in a more traditional way (pushing radio and TV, building a streaming audience) is what is holding them back.

by Anonymousreply 277September 12, 2020 2:31 AM

[quote]Now United's catalogue is made up of mostly Euro Championship football theme tunes.

Which Americans have zero interest in.

by Anonymousreply 278September 12, 2020 2:31 AM

Where are the majority of views from for "Who Would Think That Love"? Radio Disney have shown them some support. Fuller should try to hook them up with a TV show. That's probably the only way they could make inroads in the US.

by Anonymousreply 279September 12, 2020 2:31 AM

Maybe people are finally getting tired of this kind of assembly-line Autotuned pop shit.

by Anonymousreply 280September 12, 2020 2:33 AM

No. There's always more tweens.

by Anonymousreply 281September 12, 2020 2:34 AM

I’ll take this kind of pop over the trap and rap shit were getting now

by Anonymousreply 282September 12, 2020 2:35 AM

This video has 8.4 million views and it was only posted 11 months ago. The song is shit. The singing is not good. The dancing/movement is... a choice. But it found an audience through a movie aimed at kids. Those kids are now grown and they still care enough to contribute to its views from 2019 to the present.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283September 12, 2020 2:37 AM

Also keep in mind that Now United does have an American in the group who has quite an appeal. Noah Urrea. He was a kind of bit player on Nickelodeon and other tv/movies before he joined the group. He is very sexy and is extremely charismatic. The key for them to break here is to push him to the forefront and to release a single that's more acoustic pop (Shawn Mendes or Harry Styles styled). The success would follow. That requires component management that can read the pulse of the current trends, which Simon seems incapable of doing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284September 12, 2020 2:37 AM

Heyoon's "Nobody Fools Me Twice" has 5.6 million views in a month. "Wake Up" has 5.9 million views in 5 months. The fans weren't here for Noah's solo debut...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285September 12, 2020 2:40 AM

[Quote] a single that's more acoustic pop (Shawn Mendes or Harry Styles styled).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286September 12, 2020 2:41 AM

One of the problems with Now United is that the fans have a "Everyone deserves a medal" attitude, which had led to more of the members soloing on tracks, even when they have no business doing so, based on their vocal "talents."

by Anonymousreply 287September 12, 2020 2:43 AM

Also let's keep in mind about Katy's flop: Pop music is kind of dead at the moment. As R282 pointed out, the charts are primarily dominated by mumble rap, trap music and hardcore rap. Pop comes in ebbs and flows. Right now, it's out. Remember, though, between like 1992 when Nirvana came and 1997, pop music was really dead like it is now on the charts. You know who brought it back? Simon Fuller's Spice Girls. So maybe Now United hasn't broken out yet, but if history repeats itself, the group may do what the Spice Girls did two generations ago. They could bring back the kind of pop music that made Katy successful a decade ago. Perhaps if they do, then Katy could make a comeback. Otherwise, it really seems like it's over for her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288September 12, 2020 2:44 AM

[quote]Taylor Swift called out Bumfuck Mitch and the Turd

aha! my new band name

by Anonymousreply 289September 12, 2020 2:45 AM

Sabina is the star of the group. The voice is rather on the nasal side but she's a commanding performer and she's very funny in their docu series. Heyoon is the other charismatic and funny female in the group.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290September 12, 2020 2:46 AM

Katy’s fanbase then were mostly 6 year old girls- why their parents thought it was cute their little baby girls were mimicking katy perry is beyond me. Taylor Swift fans skewed a bit older, more like 9 years old pretending they were 12. And her fans grew along with her, they now have the emotional age of a 13 year old.

by Anonymousreply 291September 12, 2020 2:50 AM

Really? Because based on pure viewership alone, Any Gabrielly is the most popular member of the group and why they have any fans at all whatsoever. Brazilians (their main fan base) love her. The reason they actually broke in Brazil (when most foreign acts cannot) is because of her. She has the talent, the personality and the voice. Not to mention the inspiring backstory and her command of the English language is better than all of the other non-westerners in the group. She and Bailey May have the most potential to break out as solo stars. Sabina, on the other hand, will end up like Victoria Beckham if her fiancee, Pepe Gonzalez, breaks out as a soccer star. She just isn't on Any's level, nor Diarra's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292September 12, 2020 2:51 AM

Any comes across very... professional in her personality. She says herself that she's not funny. She's earnest and very clearly hardworking. But she doesn't win over people with her personality like Sabina or Heyoon.

Bailey has the largest social media following. But he's not a star. He has no charisma.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293September 12, 2020 3:02 AM

[Quote] She just isn't on Any's level, nor Diarra's.

XIX never saw it for Diarra. She was cast as Any's understudy. And she didn't emerge from that shadow.

by Anonymousreply 294September 12, 2020 3:04 AM

Gaga was raped by someone within the industry. My money is on Red One.

by Anonymousreply 295September 12, 2020 3:10 AM

R295, it was Rob Fusari.

by Anonymousreply 296September 12, 2020 3:11 AM

R293 Any is nice and humble and that counts for something, especially with American audiences. Americans reject talented artists if they think they are divas and assholes. On the other hand, Americans will support total shit artists if they are nice and down to Earth. Any has the personality middle America likes and also happens to be very talented. She has the it factor. She is the one who is going to break out.

As for Bailey, his it factor mainly comes down to the fact that he's the least fem guy member of the group. With the exception of Lamar (who puts in no effort at all to participate...why he is even still officially a member is beyond me), Bailey is the only one anyone could be considered masc. Krystan is the most obviously gay guy and both Noah and Josh have fem traits that make them seem at least bi, if not gay themselves. Bailey may not be as talented as the other boys, but he looks good and Simon Fuller clearly sees him as his favorite guy. It's why he chose Bailey over the other Filipino girls, Ylona Garcia and AC Bonifacio, who were clearly more talented than him. I happen to agree.

And yes, they definitely had it out for Diarra, which is why she's kind of half in, half out of the group right now. She has been working on solo material and several major music players, including the rapper Tyga, have taken an interest in her, though I don't see her going anywhere because R&B is out. She should really stay with Now United because she really has no chance of making it as a solo artist.

by Anonymousreply 297September 12, 2020 3:12 AM

Can you assholes stop with some shit Brazilian teen pop act nobody in America has ever fucking heard of? Jesus Christ.

by Anonymousreply 298September 12, 2020 3:13 AM

Is Red One not... ya know...?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299September 12, 2020 3:21 AM

[Quote] She has the it factor.

She has no edge. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 300September 12, 2020 3:22 AM

[Quote] Simon Fuller clearly sees him as his favorite guy.

Then why is Noah more heavily featured?

by Anonymousreply 301September 12, 2020 3:23 AM

[Quote] It's why he chose Bailey over the other Filipino girls, Ylona Garcia and AC Bonifacio, who were clearly more talented than him. I happen to agree.

I expect it was more to do with the fact there was already two Asian females in the group.

by Anonymousreply 302September 12, 2020 3:24 AM

Diarra is not best suited for their chirpy image. She looks like she should be sashaying down a runway. I thought she might do alright if they pursue a Summer Walker type of sound. She's sultry, she could even do haughty well.

by Anonymousreply 303September 12, 2020 3:26 AM

OMG nobody cares about these Brazilian nobodies.

by Anonymousreply 304September 12, 2020 3:45 AM

Thread Dead

by Anonymousreply 305September 12, 2020 3:48 AM

r305 = Thread Dad

by Anonymousreply 306September 12, 2020 3:51 AM

^ Dead Dad

by Anonymousreply 307September 12, 2020 3:58 AM

Gaga received about 60-80% credit (can't remember the exact number) for writing "Shallow," which is a smash on par with any hit she released with RedOne.

R266 She was working on an album with him in 2015, but then scrapped it after David Bowie's death. It was supposedly going to be about the "art of darkness" inspired by her role on AHS.

by Anonymousreply 308September 12, 2020 4:12 AM

I think Katy's career is truly dead and gone. These are truly abysmal sales - there are (relatively) unknown artists who sell more than this. Also, her last real hit was 7 years ago.

Gaga won that one. To think in 2013, Gaga was being dragged for her supposed "flop" album ARTPOP, and nearly a decade later, Gaga has a Golden Globe, Oscar, 10+ Grammys, and 6 #1 consecutive albums.

by Anonymousreply 309September 12, 2020 4:43 AM

Cute photo but she really looks like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310September 12, 2020 4:53 AM

I don't believe Artflop failed in terms of sales, but in terms of image and popularity. None of the singles went #1, compared to her last album, where the lead single debuted at #1. And Applause was not in the top ten that long. It wasn't necessarily a failure in terms of money and sales, but it wasn't comparable to the success of her earlier work. It was her first "failure", and the public reveled in it.

I think she and RedOne should get back together and make an album in about 10 to 15 years, when the next generation discovers her work.

by Anonymousreply 311September 12, 2020 5:00 AM

Actually Applause is one of her biggest hits, R311. It just didn't reach number one - much like Bad Romance and Telephone. It stayed in the Top 20 for something like 20 weeks. Sold over 6 million world wide.

What ARTPOP did was bring her back to earth. She thought she was still in her Imperial Phase then. Clearly, she wasn't. But as you noted, she was by no means "over". ARTPOP has sold millions WW.

She needed to regroup though. Did the Tony Bennet jazz thing. Then a striped down Joanne. Then wowed everyone at the Superbowl. During those years saw her image change from crazy Gaga to a really talented performer. Soccer moms started liking her. And she was smart enough to keep her Little Monsters engaged. So when ASIB came out? Damn. That was huge. Adele huge.

(Btw, my partner lives next door to her. So if I seem like a stan, I am not. Just a normal fan who's met her and her dogs more than a few times, causing me to learn/know more about her than I should. Btw, she's one of the nicest celebs I've met - and I grew up in LA.)

by Anonymousreply 312September 12, 2020 8:09 AM

[quote] This year’s MTV VMAs delivered a whopping 41.1 million interactions across social media, making it the second most-socialed show of the year, behind only the Super Bowl

This wasn't due to Gaga. It's because BTS was on MTV VMA's. Those guys have the biggest fan base on social media.

by Anonymousreply 313September 12, 2020 8:15 AM

Haha no one cares about the flop Gaga. There are at least 10 pop stars more popular. Her stans are lol funny. No one cares. She’s a dud.

by Anonymousreply 314September 12, 2020 8:16 AM

R312 That is next level trumpian bullshit. Nobody cares about that nobody.

by Anonymousreply 315September 12, 2020 8:18 AM

r312

Are you or your partner the one who lived near Emilia Clarke?

by Anonymousreply 316September 12, 2020 8:19 AM

300 posts? I'm surprised.

by Anonymousreply 317September 12, 2020 8:20 AM

If in the near future we must have a revival of female-oriented pop, may we pass over the insulting misogynistic Fuller-esque schlock and instead see a return to laidback, cool, Lilith-Fair adjacent late 90s-00s style songwriter-chanteuse a la Badu, Cerys Matthews (Catatonia), Lauryn Hill, Alanis, Fiona, Tori, PJ, Mary J., Sinead, Beth Gibbons (Portishead), Cassandra Wilson, Sarah McLachlan, Lucinda Williams, Stacie Orrico, Michelle Branch, Gabrielle, Abra Moore, Jann Arden, Joan Osbourne, Meredith Brooks, Monica, Paula Cole, Shawn Colvin, Natasha Bedingfield, All Saints, The Corrs, Norah Jones, Katie Melua, Tegan & Sara, and even Dido?

Perhaps with the hibernation of lurid noisy bubblegum for 6-year olds and Frauen, we can once more enjoy a fecund era for female artists & singers who make lyrical, and interesting music for sophisticated adults, instead of vapid cartoon characters designed only to titillate and sell out. It’s time for the Katys of the world to just go back in the box for a while.

It’s only Robyn who is left from that period doing well with pop hits. Alicia is still trying it, to be fair, but it’s not really working. Aaliyah would probably be an enduring success today, had she lived.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318September 12, 2020 10:31 AM

PJ Harvey is laidback?

by Anonymousreply 319September 12, 2020 10:33 AM

[Quote] Aaliyah would probably be an enduring success today, had she lived.

Aaliyah's final album underperformed.

by Anonymousreply 320September 12, 2020 10:34 AM

All Saints' "One Strike" helped its parent album chart peak respectably but the single did nothing. Streaming has made tweens and teens even more dominant as an audience. If it can't go viral on TikTok, it's fucked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321September 12, 2020 10:36 AM

I think the music industry's biggest problem is its lack of flexibility to adapt to the technology advancements. And the record companies' greed, of course.

Social media has the potential to make indie bands go viral with a catchy song. The old school "word of mouth" if you will. Record companies have no clue how to nurture new talent. They just look for instant hits, make quick cash, rely on already established cash cows. The most they do is come up with some PR image backstory how non-manufactured the performer is when all the performer does is sing some song written in some music factory and produced by one of the few music producers (who's more likely a predator in some way). And, of course, the music print press relies on the record companies' goodwill to stay in business and promote their mass-produced music and pretend it's credible and artistic done by real artists.

by Anonymousreply 322September 12, 2020 11:29 AM

That Atlantic article was well done, but the bottom line is you’re not going to endure as a pop act without great song craft. There’s a reason why Taylor Swift is the only pop tart from the early 2010s that has endured commercially: she is an excellent songwriter and consistently delivers the goods.

It’s also interesting that everyone has chosen to ignore that Kesha appears to have made everything up about Dr Luke.

by Anonymousreply 323September 12, 2020 12:12 PM

Pop Tart?

by Anonymousreply 324September 12, 2020 2:29 PM

The duckface at R321 is enough to make not listen to that group.

by Anonymousreply 325September 12, 2020 5:32 PM

Feel good Pop Music reached its apex in the 80s with Katrina and the Waves "Walking on Sunshine", the Bangles "Walk Like an Egyptian", Cyndi Laupers "Girls Just Want to Have Fun", and Bananarama's "Venus". I miss that style.

by Anonymousreply 326September 12, 2020 6:15 PM

[Quote] Kesha appears to have made everything up about Dr Luke.

Says rape apologists.

by Anonymousreply 327September 12, 2020 6:29 PM

[quote] If in the near future we must have a revival of female-oriented pop, may we pass over the insulting misogynistic Fuller-esque schlock and instead see a return to laidback, cool, Lilith-Fair adjacent late 90s-00s style songwriter

I listened to this type of music at the time and liked a lot of it but it really is boring when compared to the ecstatic highs we had with the 80s girl groups, the pop sensibilities of Stock Aitken and Watterman, Madonna and Michael at their peaks, freestyle, the worldly rhythms of Bowie, Talking Heads, Prince, and The Police, the second British Invasion, etc. The 80s really was the pinnacle of music.

by Anonymousreply 328September 12, 2020 7:08 PM

R311 The main problem with Artpop was not Applause which was a decent first single, not a smash but it did quite well but Do what you want.

The song is one of Gaga's best and was destined to be a smash but she decided to make the duet with R Kelly which was a very very bad idea, and then they didn't released a video (and there are a lot of theories about that) when the video was the thing that should help the song to break

by Anonymousreply 329September 12, 2020 9:03 PM

R329 the problem is no one cares about her

by Anonymousreply 330September 12, 2020 9:26 PM

R329 I care about her. She is and will continue to be an enduring talent. Kate Perry makes basic music for basics. She’s done.

by Anonymousreply 331September 12, 2020 9:41 PM

Artpop was a fairly decent album. Some of her video choices were, uh, questionable (Andy Cohen and some Real Housewives?????) ,

by Anonymousreply 332September 12, 2020 9:52 PM

No one on DL cares about Gaga, but her 40 year old gay monsters love her. Her music gets attention. But it fades quickly because when is the last time any artist released a real banger? Bruno Mars maybe. I don't any straight people who cared about Gaga before ASIB. She's not as great a singer as her fans think. She can sing which makes her unique enough. But she makes you feel nothing. Not joy or sex or romance or sadness. Outside of dance music - Gaga is a void.

Katy Perry is just crap. Sorry. I like some PoP music, but she's crap.

Swift is better than I like to admit.

Here is Kelly Clarkson the other day on her show - she sings a ( too damn short cover) everyday. But she knows the heart of the song and doesn't dismantle it. Even in a different location from her band and back up singers - Kelly is phenomenal, as a vocalist and a singer who directly connects. Yeah, she's not glam or dangerous or very exciting. But this woman can sing AND not leave her fans humiliated. And she can sing just about anything. She was once a pop star. Some very good hits too. She can cover Xtina, Adele, Eminem, Tammy Wynette, Aretha, Sia, Florence and the Machine, Bob Dylan, Patti Griffith, Keith Urban, Gwen Stefani or Gaga equally well. She's the best singer in the damn game. Her vocal gifts and musical ability are astounding. Kelly loves to sing. She has always covered other artists songs in every concert she gives. She's 38, overexposed, too nice and a bit dull. She's not chasing hit records anymore. But she'll never make an album that bombs. She's just too damn good.

But real pop stardom has always be more about image and the public's imagination than talent. Katy, Britney, Gaga and Madonna wouldn't be so fucking wealthy otherwise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333September 12, 2020 9:57 PM

R230? Give it up. I fear you're treading into Jabba territory. It's cool that Gaga isn't your thing. That notwithstanding, she's one of the biggest pop stars on the planet these days. No, not as big as her peak, but certainly not irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 334September 12, 2020 9:59 PM

This is karma for Katy taking a swipe at Britney’s mental health issues and head-shaving incident.

Britney, for all her troubles, is still beloved and could probably sell in another Vegas stint if she wanted to.

When’s the last time you heard a Katy Perry song that wasn’t a Target commercial?

When’s the last time you heard “Roar”?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335September 12, 2020 10:02 PM

R334 Dear, she’s not. She’s not even top 10 current females. Her success is minor compared to even Katy. Katy has dozens more hits. Actual hits not something that is attached to another more popular female. Gags is not even in the conversation much. Except her mentally fragile fan base who attached to her because she’s equally as mental and weak.

by Anonymousreply 336September 12, 2020 10:17 PM

Gaga was on the VMAs last weekend, R336.

Where was Katy?

Surely, that pop powerhouse would’ve been invited to perform her new single, no?

by Anonymousreply 337September 12, 2020 10:29 PM

I really liked Gaga in the beginning, her first two albums were solid but then I lost interest.

by Anonymousreply 338September 12, 2020 10:30 PM

Pop music success is a difficult thing to measure because it's relationship to America is different than its relationship to the rest of the world. Pop stars have five seconds of fame in America, but in other countries, because of culture lag, they can still top charts, sell millions of albums, and sell out stadiums 10+ years after their last U.S. hit. This is how artists like Kylie Minogue, Shakira, the American Idol singers, Madonna, etc are able to have long careers.

by Anonymousreply 339September 12, 2020 10:31 PM

Yes, look at Michael Jackson. He was still selling out stadiums in Europe in the 90s when he was a joke in the US.

by Anonymousreply 340September 12, 2020 10:33 PM

Katy is one of the best-selling artists in South America. She will be fine. Even if her fame in America proper is done she still has a very lucrative international status.

by Anonymousreply 341September 12, 2020 10:33 PM

You can be the biggest star in China or Spain and posters on DL still insist you are a nobody because only the US market matters to them.

by Anonymousreply 342September 12, 2020 10:36 PM

Katy is the first 2010's pop star to become a legacy act, the rest will follow suit shortly. Her mistake is she keeps trying to do new things. She should just capitalize on the nostalgia of Teenage Dream and hits like "Roar" and "Dark Horse" and spend the rest of her life branching out to TV hosting, popping out babies, and taking up the hobbies of the wealthy such as collecting art.

She just had a baby. Now would be the perfect time to "retire to focus on being a mother" before making a comeback in five years time when everyone who grew up with her music will be in their late 20's and early 30's and she'll be able to properly capitalize on nostalgia.

by Anonymousreply 343September 12, 2020 10:38 PM

R342 See R298 and R304.

by Anonymousreply 344September 12, 2020 10:39 PM

Gaga's on her way to becoming a legacy act too. In a few years time artists like Rihanna, Madonna, Taylor, and Katy will all be doing what Mariah, Janet, Madonna, et all are doing now.

by Anonymousreply 345September 12, 2020 10:39 PM

Meant to say Adele, not Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 346September 12, 2020 10:40 PM

Gaga will stand the test of time versus the forgettable Dr. Luke hits Katy happened to record.

by Anonymousreply 347September 12, 2020 10:46 PM

Legacy act. Is that like a nostalgia act, or is there a difference?

by Anonymousreply 348September 12, 2020 10:46 PM

Yeah, about 100 posters already suggested that R343.

Beyonce will never be a legacy act. Neither with Taylor Swift. They've got too much power and personal dignity. Gaga already is already on her way to being a legacy act. Her presentation of music is so fake and she half assed most of her concert performances from the beginning. That terrible "jazz" she attempted. Singing New York New York on a Sinatra special. All the bad tributes she got to do on Award shows for far more important artists. She's not far from telling long stories while she tinkles on the piano - before bursting into one of her "hits." Gaga has always been corny. She's much more like Bette Midler and Liza Minnelli than she ever was like Bowie or Grace Jones.

Lots of music stars have too much dignity to ever become a legacy chaser or to spend their time in Japan or Brazil for the APPLAUSE. Sara Bareilles, Jessie J, Annie Lennox, Pink, Kelly C, Norah Jones, Esperanza Spalding, Beyonce, Lorde, MJ Blige, Celine, Brandi, Alicia Keys, The Chicks, Janelle Monae and others keep singing without selling out. Chasing PoP stardom seems kind of anachronistic now. If you're the best performer in the world who puts out one of the greatest albums of all time - you're still only going to be in the cycle for 8 to 12 weeks. You'll make some year end lists on thousands of platforms. But nothing remains important anymore. Good news for the mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 349September 12, 2020 10:57 PM

I was doing a search for a gay porno with a guy named Perry on GayMaleTube and was shocked at the number of videos guys had recorded jacking off on to photos (they call them tributes to) of Katy Perry, there were hundreds of them. It was really rather disturbing, considering it is a gay porn site.

by Anonymousreply 350September 12, 2020 11:03 PM

R208 is probably thee most delusional thing I have ever read on DL. And that is really saying something.

by Anonymousreply 351September 12, 2020 11:21 PM

[quote]Lots of music stars have too much dignity to ever become a legacy chaser or to spend their time in Japan or Brazil for the APPLAUSE. Sara Bareilles, Jessie J, Annie Lennox, Pink, Kelly C, Norah Jones, Esperanza Spalding, Beyonce, Lorde, MJ Blige, Celine, Brandi, Alicia Keys, The Chicks, Janelle Monae and others keep singing without selling out.

They're legacy artists whether they want to admit to it or not. They might release new music, but it's their old hits that people want to hear.

by Anonymousreply 352September 12, 2020 11:23 PM

The fake-bisexual energy-vamp Fraulein who abused my personal time in College to vent for hours about her food problem and her Mommy issues and her awful social life, only to turn on me and badmouth me to all our mutual friends once she lost 20lbs and found a Brau and got a person-facing job?

You guessed it - a lifer Katy Perry stan. Obviously. She even had a Perry-centric karaoke/cosplay night for her 21st birthday house party, for which she donned the blue-wig & cupcake bustier attire to perform a ‘Firework’ routine (which was....so, so uncomfortable).

She also had (and probably still has, I wouldn’t know) a borderline-scary obsession with GLEE, Disneyland, Tumblr, and the tv show MERLIN. The funny thing is she thought *she* was too cool to hang out with *me*. I just laughed when I realised she started oh-so-flippantly flaking on our social plans, and instantly moved on with a relieved quickness. Never was I so glad to ditch a ‘friend’.

I assume every KP fan loosely fits this profile of look-at-me Basic-bitch crazycakes.

by Anonymousreply 353September 12, 2020 11:36 PM

You've never been to a concert in your life R352. I can tell. If you were - it was over 35 years ago.

Maybe you've seen your favorite, Cher! That old canned bitch is THE legacy artist. She doesn't even have to be there to have a successful concert tour.

by Anonymousreply 354September 13, 2020 12:00 AM

R336 Gaga has plenty of hits. Just Dance, Telephone, Bad Romance, Alejandro, Pokerface, Paparazzi, Born This Way, The Edge of Glory, You And I, LoveGame, Shallow, Applause, Million Reasons, Rain On Me.

by Anonymousreply 355September 13, 2020 12:00 AM

r354 I was barely in elementary school 35 years ago. What I meant is that they artists you listed are mostly legacy artists whether you want to think so or not. Nobody is going to see Annie Lennox to hear a song she just composed. They want to hear the hits from years ago. There's nothing wrong with being a legacy artist but it happens to all of them if they hang around long enough. Even Madonna is now a legacy artist, nobody goes to a Madonna concert to hear her latest shit, they go for the old hits.

by Anonymousreply 356September 13, 2020 12:25 AM

To me, Katy Perry is just walking tits. She would be nothing without them and she has nothing else to offer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357September 13, 2020 12:33 AM

You're a rapidly aging Gaga fan who cherry picked from my original post R356. I wasn't even born when you entered grade school. I was an amoeba.

[quote]Beyonce will never be a legacy act. Neither with Taylor Swift. They've got too much power and personal dignity. Gaga already is already on her way to being a legacy act. Her presentation of music is so fake and she half assed most of her concert performances from the beginning. That terrible "jazz" she attempted. Singing New York New York on a Sinatra special. All the bad tributes she got to do on Award shows for far more important artists. She's not far from telling long stories while she tinkles on the piano - before bursting into one of her "hits." Gaga has always been corny. She's much more like Bette Midler and Liza Minnelli than she ever was like Bowie or Grace Jones. Lots of music stars have too much dignity to ever become a legacy chaser or to spend their life in Japan or Brazil for the APPLAUSE. Sara Bareilles, Jessie J, Annie Lennox, Pink, Kelly C, Norah Jones, Esperanza Spalding, Beyonce, Lorde, MJ Blige, Celine, Brandi, Alicia Keys, The Chicks, Janelle Monae and others keep singing without selling out. Chasing PoP stardom seems kind of anachronistic now. If you're the best performer in the world who puts out one of the greatest albums of all time - you're still only going to be in the cycle for 8 to 12 weeks. You'll make some year end lists on thousands of platforms. But nothing remains important anymore. Good news for the mediocre.

Where do I say they don't have to sing their hits? I said they weren't chasing legacy fame - they still produce new music and tour when they want to. Not whores for attention and LOVE like Gaga and Mariah. My last statement was profound. But R352, aka R356 - anyone who proclaims....

[quote]Even Madonna is now a legacy artist, nobody goes to a Madonna concert to hear her latest shit, they go for the old hits.

... is getting up there. EVEN Madonna? What does that mean? She's like 70 years old. She hasn't been anything BUT a legacy artist for 15 years now. And she reportedly doesn't do it as well or convincingly as CHER.

I've never heard a dude my age refer to it as elementary school either.

Gaga is unlikeable, arch, narcissistic and weirdly inauthentic for such a gifted and successful provider of musical content. She's the Barbra Streisand of the the 2010s.

by Anonymousreply 358September 13, 2020 12:57 AM

[quote]You're a rapidly aging Gaga fan who cherry picked from my original post [R356]. I wasn't even born when you entered grade school. I was an amoeba.

I'm only a casual Gaga fan, from her earlier work. I don't really follow her. And good for you for being around all of five or so years younger than me lol!

[quote]Where do I say they don't have to sing their hits? I said they weren't chasing legacy fame - they still produce new music and tour when they want to.

Dipshit it doesn't matter whether they produce new music. They're still legacy acts because that's what their fans want to hear when they go to concerts. You think when Stevie Nicks give a concert her fans are going because they want to hear stuff from her last album? No, they want to hear Landslide. They ALL become legacy acts if they hang around long enough. All of them.

by Anonymousreply 359September 13, 2020 1:15 AM

[quote]I've never heard a dude my age refer to it as elementary school either.

I believe that's a regional thing.

by Anonymousreply 360September 13, 2020 1:17 AM

I love Lady Gaga, and I think she’s got one of the greatest voices in the world: powerful, convincing, passionate and sensitive.

She’s definitely one of the most inventive artists we’ve ever seen. Her artistic expression has no rules, no boundaries. When she first came on the scene with her outrageous style, she didn’t care what the critics said. She marched to the beat of her own drum, knowing that her message of individuality was a way to express her inner strength. What makes her even more special, and such a powerful influence on society, is that she empowers her fans to adopt the very same values in their lives—to stand up for what they believe in, despite what others might think. By doing so, she gives her followers the strength and confidence to believe in themselves. Whether it’s her unstoppable support for the LGBTQ community, or her anti-bullying campaigning, Lady Gaga’s voice is being heard where it really counts.

Yes, she’s an amazing musician, composer, performer and, as we saw in A Star Is Born, an incredible actress, but her legacy reaches well beyond show business. She will continue to inspire love and freedom around the world, for generations to come.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 361September 13, 2020 1:19 AM

Katy could never ever.

by Anonymousreply 362September 13, 2020 1:20 AM

Stevie Nicks is also in her seventies R359. Do you think Stevie needs the money? A new black dress? No, she's one of the pathetic who can't give up the limelight, long after they should. A singer wants to sing, a performer loves to perform. BUT, the self aware and intelligent ones do not keep disappointing their fans with increasingly terrible vocal renditions of ancient "hit" songs every 3 years. That's Cher's gig.

Gaga will be appearing at the airport lounge in outer space. Her voice is already shot. It won't be long.

The young guys from elementary school call each other dipshit?

by Anonymousreply 363September 13, 2020 1:29 AM

Best-selling female artists in Equivalent Track Sales*:

#1 Rihanna – 628M

#2 Beyoncé – 427M

#3 Taylor Swift – 413M

#4 Ariana Grande – 331M

#5 Katy Perry – 327M

#6 Madonna – 322M

#7 Lady Gaga – 307M

#8 Adele – 256M

*Equivalent Track Sales / song units: Career Total TEA+SEA * 10; gives songs their original value back after being converted into Equivalent Album Sales / album units

As you can see, Katy Perry is ahead of Gaga in career sales, worldwide.

It's also interesting that Madonna has fallen to 6th place, since her music has become irrelevant in the streaming age. She's no longer the biggest-selling female artist of all time.

by Anonymousreply 364September 13, 2020 1:32 AM

[quote] Sara Bareilles, Jessie J, Annie Lennox, Pink, Kelly C, Norah Jones, Esperanza Spalding, Beyonce, Lorde, MJ Blige, Celine, Brandi, Alicia Keys, The Chicks, Janelle Monae and others keep singing without selling out.

All of these artists that you mentioned are drawing crowds who want to hear their old hits. Their current material is not terribly relevant. That, my dear, is a legacy artist.

[quote]The young guys from elementary school call each other dipshit?

I have no idea what they're calling each other now. And you're hardly a "young guy" either.

by Anonymousreply 365September 13, 2020 1:35 AM

R363 Listen to Celine and get over your blind hatred:

YES, she’s an AMAZING musician, composer, performer and, as we saw in A Star Is Born, an incredible actress, but her LEGACY reaches well BEYOND show business. She will continue to INSPIRE love and freedom around the world, FOR GENERATIONS TO COME.

by Anonymousreply 366September 13, 2020 1:37 AM

[quote] I wasn't even born when you entered grade school. I was an amoeba.

Really? You posted the following in the "Have you ever been seated next to a celebrity or semi-famous person?" thread:

[quote]I met Ann Miller. At the perfume counter. She was performing Sugar Babies in my town, how would I know? I was 22 years old and didn't know anything about her except that I had to put my mom and aunt up overnight when they came to see Ann and Mickey Rooney. Toronto. 1985.

You're almost old enough to be my father.

by Anonymousreply 367September 13, 2020 1:40 AM

^That post was signed by Cinesnatch. I'm not that old racist fuck. That dude is mentally ill. Cinesnatch thinks Meryl Streep can sing! I think he is banned from this site R367.

I was born in 1983. What's your problem. You're the one who referenced Madonna and Stevie Nicks as pop stars. 😝🤩🛑

At R352, R356, R359.

Old man, if you ❤️ Gaga too much & she helped you get gay married in your sixties -congratulations. I believe you were born this way. For sure.

Now leave the men alone.

by Anonymousreply 368September 13, 2020 1:49 AM

This thread is amusing because, to anyone with good taste in music, all of these acts sound the exact same. They’re all hyper-manufactured auto tuned garbage. Gaga is only edgy to basic bitches.

by Anonymousreply 369September 13, 2020 1:51 AM

[quote]That post was signed by Cinesnatch. I'm not that old racist fuck. That dude is mentally ill. Cinesnatch thinks Meryl Streep can sing! I think he is banned from this site

Nope, that was you.

by Anonymousreply 370September 13, 2020 1:56 AM

r358/r363/r368 is also the "ancient white fags" poster who Muriel should've banned from this site long ago.

by Anonymousreply 371September 13, 2020 2:07 AM

Meryl Streep is autotuned and she still can't sing as well as RuPaul. And he can't sing at all. It's an old man's complaint. Most of you don't even know what it does. Streisand uses autotune, to stay on pitch and prolong the notes she can't hold. Whitney's last album was heavily autotuned. Michael Buble publicly objected when his record company (producers) autoned his last album. He doesn't need it but they said the public wouldn't buy it without that compressed pro-tools sound. It's like crack to the ear. Blame Cher. And Britney. Katy can't even sing with autotune.

What ancient white fag? R371. There are a lot of you here on weekends. Datalounge used to be full of nothing BUT ancient white racist misogynist fags. Effeminate grampas trying to push people around and degrade fine men and women with nasty epithets from their keyboards. Thankfully, they're dying off. Black lives matter. It's not pointless bitchery to hate on other races and call women cunts. Those are the men who are banned from this site.

by Anonymousreply 372September 13, 2020 2:15 AM

[quote]What ancient white fag? [R371]. There are a lot of you here on weekends. Datalounge used to be full of nothing BUT ancient white racist misogynist fags. Effeminate grampas trying to push people around and degrade fine men and women with nasty epithets from their keyboards. Thankfully, they're dying off. Black lives matter. It's not pointless bitchery to hate on other races and call women cunts. Those are the men who are banned from this site.

You're a gay man in his late fifties and you constantly call others on this site "ancient white fags." Do you even know how ignoredar works?

by Anonymousreply 373September 13, 2020 2:18 AM

Stop spitting lies and racist insults R373. Or you'll go the way of miss warwicke. I know how everything works. Would you like to find out?

by Anonymousreply 374September 13, 2020 2:21 AM

R373, your posts from "Have you ever been seated next to a celebrity or semi-famous person?":

[quote]Shirley Maclaine sat next to me at the ABT tribute to Fred and Ginger. When Darci Kistler and Peter Martins were dancing divinely in this beautiful number - Shirl grabbed my thigh for a minute. Like with real pressure. Not sexual, just excitement at what we were seeing. Her date was the late Brian Linehan. Trust me, I have much better thighs. She also smiled at me several times and we talked about how beautiful certain moments were. Suzanne Farrell danced that night too, though she had retired a few years earlier. Shirley and Linehan were having a great time too. A lot of laughter. Shirley Maclaine is fun y'all. Or she was 27 years ago.

[quote]I met Ann Miller. At the perfume counter. She was performing Sugar Babies in my town, how would I know? I was 22 years old and didn't know anything about her except that I had to put my mom and aunt up overnight when they came to see Ann and Mickey Rooney. Toronto. 1985.

Now tell us how you were born in 1983 lol!

by Anonymousreply 375September 13, 2020 2:21 AM

You sound too weird and overly upset R375. Why not have another drink? I was born in 1983. I don't remember it, but it was March, so it was probably cold. I wish you good luck and some relief from your suffering.

by Anonymousreply 376September 13, 2020 2:26 AM

r375/376 I'm fine believe me, you're the mental case. Don't spout bullshit on DL and get all pissy when called out on it.

by Anonymousreply 377September 13, 2020 2:41 AM

Even guys who were born in 1983 are not young.

by Anonymousreply 378September 13, 2020 2:45 AM

r376 got caught in his lies! Learn to switch accounts before you post some shit, idiot, or trolldar will catch your ass.

by Anonymousreply 379September 13, 2020 2:49 AM

I'm not sure what TROLLDAR is - but I'm positive that you've had it since the mid eighties, R379.

by Anonymousreply 380September 13, 2020 2:53 AM

Click the icon next to ff at the bottom right of your own post, then click the ignored tap on the top of your page. Your posts will all be there. And you're a fucking nutcase and a liar.

by Anonymousreply 381September 13, 2020 2:58 AM

Enough with the f word. How mentally blown out do you have to be to stoop to that language?

by Anonymousreply 382September 13, 2020 2:59 AM

Good lord. Can we stop calling Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift great songwriters. They are average at best. Gaga is considered a very good singer only in comparison to these weak singers like Brittany, Janet, Taylor, etc... Her voice is not appealing. Just because she sings with force and, to me, fake passion, doesn't make her a great singer. Beyonce is the same. Lot's of effort and very good branding.

by Anonymousreply 383September 13, 2020 3:05 AM

Taylor has her moments but she also steals a lot of great/good lines from other writers

by Anonymousreply 384September 13, 2020 3:06 AM

I like Folklore, but i wouldn't say the lyrics are genius.

by Anonymousreply 385September 13, 2020 5:14 AM

My sides at the Gaga loon. She’s a bore and an average talent no one gives a shit about.

by Anonymousreply 386September 13, 2020 5:56 AM

Almost 400 posts. kd perry is a DL fave!

by Anonymousreply 387September 13, 2020 6:02 AM

R358. You’re not into Lady Gaga... we got it after the first ten comments about it. Jesus, let the thread breathe. The thread isn’t even about her FFS.

by Anonymousreply 388September 13, 2020 6:37 AM

R59 Thanks for posting this. It shows that we should always wait for the full story like with Dr. Luke.

by Anonymousreply 389September 13, 2020 7:24 AM

This is a pretty epic bomb. It had a lot more promotion than Christina Aguilera’s ”liberation” and that sold 60k in pure sales in it's first week after a 6-year break.

by Anonymousreply 390September 13, 2020 7:50 AM

R206 That's why I would never want a man who already has children. Bisexual men and men in general are stupid when they trust women saying that they are on birth control.

by Anonymousreply 391September 13, 2020 9:09 AM

R230 was it really her though who created the alter ego Lady Gaga?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392September 13, 2020 9:17 AM

[quote]Gaga was raped by someone within the industry. My money is on Red One.

My money is on someone very old and obviously blind.

by Anonymousreply 393September 13, 2020 9:47 AM

Stevie Wonder gets around.

by Anonymousreply 394September 13, 2020 9:50 AM

R393 She hasn't provided any evidence for her claim AFAIK and didn't she only mention that at the time she made that tedious rapist song "till it happens to you"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 395September 13, 2020 9:58 AM

Returning to the point...

Orlando really played his cards right on this one. He either gets to milk Katy’s resurgent success, or hand their baby over to her if/when she flops. Either way he looks hetero and respectable. He can’t lose. I really have underestimated the elf’s cunning.

by Anonymousreply 396September 13, 2020 10:12 AM

Oh shut up, dear. Not everything is an elaborate bearding plot.

by Anonymousreply 397September 13, 2020 10:19 AM

Apparently only crude and sluttish sells in these decadent days, the formidable Taylor Swift excepted.

by Anonymousreply 398September 13, 2020 11:23 AM

R364 Streaming and sales are two different animals and there's no equivalence at all, no matter how much billboard insist.

The truth is there are people getting a top 10 hit because their music was on a viral video and nobody remembers that song five minutes later.

There are a lot of records that are totally irrelevant, right now a popular artist is able to make all the songs of an album to hit the billboard hot 100 when in the past some incredibly successful songs like Don't speak or Torn didn't chart because they were not formal singles

by Anonymousreply 399September 13, 2020 7:46 PM

See Drake breaking Madonna’s record for most top 10s. His “hits” barely stay in the top 10 for more than a few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 400September 13, 2020 7:59 PM

[quote]See Drake breaking Madonna’s record for most top 10s. His “hits” barely stay in the top 10 for more than a few weeks.

And neither would Madonna's if she were at her peak today. Times change, and it's all about streaming now. You can live in the past if you choose, but you're only making yourself irrelevant.

The fact is that adjusted for today's industry standards of sales and streaming, Madonna has fallen to 6th place on the all-time most successful female artists.

by Anonymousreply 401September 13, 2020 8:07 PM

R388, that creature is an obsessed Gaga hater (OGH). It just can't stand the fact that Gaga is light years more talented than Madonna and their other faves. Ignore it.

by Anonymousreply 402September 13, 2020 8:18 PM

Yeah, I think trying to compare album / single sales where people spent actual money and spotify chart positions is a bit like comparing apples with oranges. Why not compare spotify with radio charts for example?

by Anonymousreply 403September 13, 2020 8:30 PM

R392, yes she did. Lina and Stefani were both working on debut albums with the producer Rob Fusari (who raped Gaga). Fusari probably dropped Lina to work with Stefani/Gaga and Lina, probably already suffering from severe depression, committed suicide. It's tragic what happened to her, and Gaga definitely felt responsible on some level for what happened to her. On "Aura" she sings that she killed her "poor friend", for example, playing off the wacky conspiracy that she pushed her, while also acknowledging that had she not been chosen instead of Lina, she might still be alive.

There was definitely some "consolidation" going on in that debut era, The Fame. Gaga and Fusari probably incorporated some of Lina's style and personality into the creation of the Lady Gaga, maybe as a tribute, but also for cohesion's sake.

by Anonymousreply 404September 13, 2020 8:39 PM

[quote] emember, though, between like 1992 when Nirvana came and 1997, pop music was really dead like it is now on the charts.

This isn't true--it's funny how people believed this then and believe it now. The biggest song of the 90s was I Will Always Love You. Mariah also had huge success during this time period and Janet also was doing well. Remember Ace of Base? Pop music wasn't dead, it was just getting way less critical attention than grunge and rap.

by Anonymousreply 405September 13, 2020 8:52 PM

I know exactly what genre Katy should've jumped on, but I'm not saying it here on DL because I know she's reading this thread. If she can release another album within this genre in the next seven months, she can probably get lots of streams/millions.

by Anonymousreply 406September 13, 2020 9:02 PM

[quote] The fact is that adjusted for today's industry standards of sales and streaming, Madonna has fallen to 6th place on the all-time most successful female artists.

No, not at all. Madonna is by far the number one selling female artist of all time. Mariah, who has the same catalogue size, is far away from her. 1 million streams is not equivalent to 1 million album sales. Album physical and digital sales are worth far more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 407September 13, 2020 9:02 PM

Madonna can have probably ten more #1 hits but she's her own worst enemy. She has some weird fixation on Guy Oseary, even though her career went into a fucking TAILSPIN after promoting him. He probably refuses to fuck her or something. Fire him and get Liz Rozenberg back (who doesn't give a shit, will fix lyrics with no demands for co-writing credits, and has uncanny ability to understand what people want from Madonna).

You people think that Madonna is THE WORST, but she's ten years younger than Cher/Dolly, who are media darlings. I reluctantly went to the Madonna Brooklyn shows, and bitch could still dance and sing at the same time. Ass implants were a mess though. Get those out, hon.

by Anonymousreply 408September 13, 2020 9:12 PM

R408, I don't think a 60 year old pop star has any chance of success. And if the star is a female, it's even harder. Madonna really should have a greatest hits tour around the time of her Superbowl performance (instead of doing MDNA) and dissapeared from the public eye.

by Anonymousreply 409September 13, 2020 9:19 PM

R407, Pure sales are irrelevant today. Everybody streams now rather than buying records. Madonna may have ruled the era before streaming, but that era is long gone.

by Anonymousreply 410September 13, 2020 9:58 PM

[quote]Gaga is light years more talented

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

by Anonymousreply 411September 13, 2020 10:04 PM

[quote] Pure sales are irrelevant today. Everybody streams now rather than buying records. Madonna may have ruled the era before streaming, but that era is long gone.

Yes, but those sales still stand. You have to take both into account. And streaming is not equivalent to album sales. It is much harder to haul your ass to the record store to buy an album than it is to press play on spotify. And let's not forget that music markets were much smaller decades ago when artists like MJ and Madonna were popular. The fact that they sold so much is made more impressive by that fact.

by Anonymousreply 412September 13, 2020 10:09 PM

Damn how this thread derailed. That really tells you how much Katy bombed.

by Anonymousreply 413September 13, 2020 10:31 PM

True r408. Nothing was the same for Madonna after Liz Rosenberg and also Freddy DeMann left. They knew what the public wanted. Guy Oseary is vastly overrated and kind of a scumbag.

by Anonymousreply 414September 13, 2020 10:32 PM

R401 Not remotely true. You’re dumb asf. Madonna is the best selling female. By far. Even including streaming. By far.

by Anonymousreply 415September 13, 2020 11:09 PM

Taylor Swift is eons more talented than Gaga. Ditto Ariana Grande.

by Anonymousreply 416September 13, 2020 11:16 PM

[quote] It is much harder to haul your ass to the record store to buy an album than it is to press play on spotify.

If today's top artists debuted during the 1980s like Madonna did, then they would have sold just as many records as she did. And I'm sure Madonna would be a big streaming force if she were in her 20s today. But when you average all of that out, Madonna is no longer the top-selling female artist.

What you're trying to argue is that the success of current artists doesn't count because they weren't born at the same time as Madonna, which is the height of absurdity.

by Anonymousreply 417September 13, 2020 11:55 PM

No, that's not what I said. Again, 1 STREAM doesn't equal 1 album sale. It counts but it's not even close to being equivalent. At all. Madonna is absolutely the biggest selling female artist of all time.

[quote] If today's top artists debuted during the 1980s like Madonna did, then they would have sold just as many records as she did

LOL no, they would not have. Even "newer" artists like Beyonce and Rihanna who have been solo artists for 15-17 years are nowhere near selling what Madonna by 2000. Not even close. The only artist who stands a chance of surpassing Madonna's sales is Eminem.

by Anonymousreply 418September 14, 2020 12:23 AM

Hopefully Katy disappears and is never heard from again. Obviously no one is streaming her unnecesary "music" on Spotify or watching her lame youtube videos. If Luke or Bonnie are not involved, she's got nothing interesting to say. Capitol Records is likely going bankrupt due to this huge flop. Hopefully Orlando sticks around to try to get her preggers before her 40th, but that will be an uphill struggle. She's already so old.

by Anonymousreply 419September 14, 2020 1:09 AM

Couldn't happen to a nicer person.

by Anonymousreply 420September 14, 2020 1:45 AM

R416, I've never seen a more dishonest LIE in my life. Gaga is supremely talented. She has one of the greatest voices of all time and is a powerfully moving songwriter. Taylor with her little twee white songs about "love" could never compare to the depth of Chromatica.

Ariana is an AMAZING singer, but I prefer Gaga's voice by far. Also, Gaga brought out the best in Ariana, so... yeah.

by Anonymousreply 421September 14, 2020 2:18 AM

R419, Katy just popped out a baby, where were you?

by Anonymousreply 422September 14, 2020 2:20 AM

R421 If you think Gaga is supremely talented. You have a low bar. I think you must be trolling.

by Anonymousreply 423September 14, 2020 2:43 AM

R423 We‘re comparing Gaga to Katy and not to Maria Callas or something... Katy can’t even sing without shouting. She is very rude and condescending. Her songs are only for mindless entertainment and have no message at all.

by Anonymousreply 424September 14, 2020 2:48 AM

R416 next level batshit. I love it. If it’s trolling it’s 3/10. Katy has a much more pleasing voice than the caterwauling gag and her try hardness. Nothing is organic with her.

Taylor is more talented in every way. It’s why everything she does is instantly successful and loved.

by Anonymousreply 425September 14, 2020 2:53 AM

R425 Wow, I’m not gonna bother discussing quality of singing with you until you get some hearing aids, lol.

by Anonymousreply 426September 14, 2020 2:57 AM

R426 Queen, spare me what you think is good singing.

by Anonymousreply 427September 14, 2020 3:00 AM

R424 Are you even bothering to read the posts? This is a quote "Gaga is supremely talented. She has one of the greatest voices of all time and is a powerfully moving songwriter."

by Anonymousreply 428September 14, 2020 4:32 AM

[quote] And streaming is not equivalent to album sales. I

Following up on this-- streaming is generally far more passive since a lot of the biggest streaming hits are on playlists--it's more comparable to hearing a song on the radio. It's not the same thing as the conscious act of choosing to purchase something. Two completely different things. So it makes sense that physical albums and singles are given more weight than stream.

by Anonymousreply 429September 14, 2020 5:42 AM

R424 I think Katy's songs have more of a message than Gaga's. The message I got from Gaga's songs was "ra ra ulala" and "Eh Eh there is nuthin I else can say".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 430September 14, 2020 8:30 AM

R428 'I love Lady Gaga, and I think she’s got one of the greatest voices in the world: powerful, convincing, passionate and sensitive.' - Celine Dion

by Anonymousreply 431September 14, 2020 8:39 AM

R430 You didn't get the meaning of those songs. Bad Romance is about paranoia/mental health, sweetie.

by Anonymousreply 432September 14, 2020 8:41 AM

Poor Gaga bot- it needs validation. Gaga sucks. She flopped even with needing help from Ariana. She has mediocre talent and her voice sucks, has terrible tone, and has a unpleasant timbre. Good thing since she isn’t much in the conversation except those PR ads she pushes. Payola.

by Anonymousreply 433September 14, 2020 11:30 AM

I don't know why most artists bother with full albums that are loaded with filler. Just release singles or partial albums every so often. I don't often listen to full albums, anymore. I pick the 2-3 songs I like and add them to my current playlists.

by Anonymousreply 434September 14, 2020 11:35 AM

R432 bwhahahaha. Suuuuuure. She’s as deep as a dried up river bed.

by Anonymousreply 435September 14, 2020 11:35 AM

R425 -Taylor more talented than Gaga? You have to be kidding? Taylor is only as big as she is because she is plain and average so people find her "relatable." She has very little singing talent and is overrated as a songwriter as well. Teenagers who have never had real problems beyond the cute boy in math class not asking them to prom are most of her fanbase.

R430 -You must not have listened to a Gaga song since 2009. Try listening to Million Reasons, Born This Way, Joanne, Angel Down, Dope, and I'll Never Love Again, just to name a few.

by Anonymousreply 436September 14, 2020 12:33 PM

R430 When has Katy ever released a song like this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 437September 14, 2020 12:57 PM

R430 When has Katy ever released a song like this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438September 14, 2020 12:57 PM

R438. Diane Warren. She wrote that. Gaga added a word. Warren’s demo leaked and that fraud changed a word. The only other songwriter who has more writers per song is Beyoncé. Taylor is waaaaay more talented and she wins the awards to prove it. I dare a Gaga fan to say awards mean nothing because when Gaga is even nominated they flip their fragile minds out. Taylor wins so much it’s ridiculous.

Taylor sells a shit ton and has hits hits hits without needing more popular artists to help

by Anonymousreply 439September 14, 2020 9:56 PM

R439 Yes, Gaga has plenty of awards as well. For example, every album of hers with the exception of ARTPOP is Grammy winning. And she has an Oscar for Best Original Song and was nominated for Best Actress as well. And she won the Golden Globe for American Horror Story. She wins awards for both music and acting. So awards do mean something. That's why Gaga has so many.

by Anonymousreply 440September 14, 2020 11:57 PM

R439 LOL. Are you are 14-year-old girl? Taylor Swift is incredibly fake. She delivers fantasy stories for her juvenile fans. She has a very weak voice and very small eyes. She is incredibly unremarkable for any adult person. Btw, Taylor is only popular in the US mostly. In most parts of the world (Europe, Asia etc.) she has very few fans and is more known as a tabloid queen.

by Anonymousreply 441September 15, 2020 12:22 AM

R440 “validate my idol with meaningless awards or my fragile little mind can rest”. No, she buys awards. Those awards are phony but Taylor slays that ugly bitch to hell. Poor fug Gaga can’t be successful without 10 songwriters and more popular singers helping her get streams.

by Anonymousreply 442September 15, 2020 12:46 AM

R364 That was pulled right out yo ass. And it’s completely wrong.

Folks, for real album sales with all the new ways to measure, there are reputable sites go get that.

And yes, Madonna is still the most successful female by a lot. Taylor may reach her if she has a long career.

by Anonymousreply 443September 15, 2020 3:52 AM

R443, That list is accurate. Madonna has been passed in the streaming era. This isn't 1990 anymore.

by Anonymousreply 444September 15, 2020 4:00 AM

R444 Repeating it like Our prez does doesn’t make it true. No reputable site has said this. If fact, Madonna increases her lead thanks to the new methods.

by Anonymousreply 445September 15, 2020 4:14 AM

It's the worst title for a record ever but I like the music.

by Anonymousreply 446September 15, 2020 4:15 AM

Katy has a gazillion hits. She’ll bounce back soon. People like her.

by Anonymousreply 447September 15, 2020 4:20 AM

WEHT to Lorde? She was the next thing for about 30 seconds.

Maybe ol Kunt Katy can make a pretty little ditty with her.

Sad how this thread has derailed.

That said Gagabot needs to go.

Now.

by Anonymousreply 448September 15, 2020 4:31 AM

I thought lorde was boring

by Anonymousreply 449September 15, 2020 6:50 AM

Lorde was over the minute it was revealed she was really a middle aged father living in Colorado.

by Anonymousreply 450September 15, 2020 9:06 AM

[quote] Swift is incredibly fake. She delivers fantasy stories for her juvenile fans. She has a very weak voice and very small eyes. She is incredibly unremarkable for any adult person.

OK, I’m a bitter envious bitch and I wish I had Tay’s money and clout and hot model girlfriends, but this made me laugh. She is a plain, reedy, creepy weirdo, isn’t she? I know straight man are crazy over her but to me she just looks like a stick-woman badly cosplaying as Betty Draper, and sounds like a sneering tween girl when she boasts about how much fun she’s having ostensibly not caring about shit. And she’s so hatchet-faced about it all, too.

At least Katy-Kat is upbeat, wilfully camp, and can sing about something other than how superior she is to other people. And I’m a pro Perry hater saying that.

by Anonymousreply 451September 15, 2020 11:14 AM

It's her best.

by Anonymousreply 452September 15, 2020 11:27 AM

Lorde postponed her new album indefinitely because her dog died.

by Anonymousreply 453September 15, 2020 11:43 AM

R442, So when Taylor wins an award, it is because she is popular and makes quality music. But when Gaga wins an award, it is because she paid to have it. I see you have an excuse for everything. You can choose to live in your delusional fantasy land all you want. But Gaga is not a flopped and she will be remembered as one of the greatest of our time decades from now whether you like it or not.

by Anonymousreply 454September 15, 2020 12:25 PM

“Chromatica” is currently the 25th bestselling album of the year in the US accounting for total activity (album sales, streams, and track sales). And that’s with two top five hits.

by Anonymousreply 455September 15, 2020 3:16 PM

R455 And A Star Is Born was the 3rd best selling album of the year only last year.

by Anonymousreply 456September 15, 2020 3:57 PM

Katy has no taste. She's the Christina Aguilera of her generation

by Anonymousreply 457September 15, 2020 4:06 PM

I liked her until the tennage dream album.

by Anonymousreply 458September 15, 2020 4:42 PM

[quote] I liked her until the tennage dream album.

You liked her when she was Katy Hudson?

by Anonymousreply 459September 15, 2020 5:35 PM

R455 That’s terrible for somebody you claim is popular. She buys awards. So does Taylor. But Taylor is talented and popular. Katy’s music just got bad. She’ll have a comeback.

by Anonymousreply 460September 15, 2020 11:58 PM

Katy is not haivng a comeback--she's tried twice in a row and failed spectacularly,

by Anonymousreply 461September 16, 2020 12:03 AM

Wait - is some idiot actually implying that Katy Perry is more successful that Madge? Bitch, please.

by Anonymousreply 462September 16, 2020 3:51 AM

R462 I don’t think anybody said that. Nobody is more successful than Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 463September 16, 2020 4:00 AM

^ her name is VADGE!

Please get it right.

by Anonymousreply 464September 16, 2020 6:18 AM

R453

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 465September 16, 2020 7:35 AM

[quote] Nobody is more successful than Madonna.

Only The Beatles, MJ, Elvis, Queen (and soon the Rolling Stones) have sold more than Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 466September 16, 2020 1:28 PM

R466 And to think all of them sold those huge amounts with far fewer markets is astounding. No wonder they were so massively popular.

by Anonymousreply 467September 16, 2020 9:30 PM

R466 she’s much more successful than those when it comes to touring

by Anonymousreply 468September 17, 2020 1:46 AM

R467 Yes, and some of those markets like Russia and Eastern Europe , Madonna is hugely popular. Imagine those markets and all the others, South America where she is also hugely popular, being open to her and the others mentioned at r466. Their numbers would be even more astronomical.

by Anonymousreply 469September 17, 2020 2:08 AM

R469, true. Madonna is actually popular all throughout Latin America.

by Anonymousreply 470September 17, 2020 3:53 PM

How is this an ongoing thread? Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 471September 17, 2020 4:00 PM

R471 it is very fun watching the downfall of a non-talent like Katy Kat, it's not that deep

by Anonymousreply 472September 17, 2020 5:56 PM

And to the Obsessed Gaga Haters in here, Gaga is only "boring" because she is profound. Basics won't get it. Seethe that your flop faves could never.

by Anonymousreply 473September 18, 2020 3:35 PM

Gaga’s “911” video is embarrassingly bad, and I’m a fan.

It’s like she hasn’t seen/has ignored the memes about what makes the intro so great.

I thought she had course-corrected with “Rain on Me,” but I guess not.

by Anonymousreply 474September 20, 2020 4:48 AM

Really, R274? I was shocked at how much I loved it. I thought it was pretty clever. And the song is so damn robotically catchy.

by Anonymousreply 475September 20, 2020 6:01 AM

R473 Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 476September 20, 2020 6:20 AM

It just seems cheap and on-a-budget the way the “Stupid Love” video does. It even recycles an old The Killers set.

My boyfriend, who is a first responder, also pointed out that a doctor in a white coat would never be on the scene of a crash. Can’t get passed that.

Nit-picky, I know, but this is supposedly state-of-the-art pop and Gaga allegedly labors over every single detail.

Blah.

by Anonymousreply 477September 20, 2020 6:24 AM

R477 Shes bad at it. Gaga is a fraud. A laughing stock. She’s not even. In the top 10 of current popular females.

by Anonymousreply 478September 20, 2020 6:27 AM

R478, yes she is. That's just a stupid comment. The only female led album released in 2020 that's sold more is Taylor Swift's. Her album was number 5 on Spotify listens yesterday for female albums - and she's not known as a big streaming artist. Taylor, Billie, Dua and Cardi (I think) we the only artists above her.

So in terms of sales and streaming she's definitely top 5. Currently. Oh, and her new video is number trending number 1 on youtube.

But you knew all this.

We all know you don't like her, but at least be honest with you hate. I believe in you, Janbot.

by Anonymousreply 479September 20, 2020 7:03 AM

The video may be steaming at number one, but it still sucks.

Where’s the “yasss” at the beat drop?

But you knew this.

by Anonymousreply 480September 20, 2020 7:09 AM

You're much more fun when you're Janbot. You as Anti-Gagabot is just depressing.

by Anonymousreply 481September 20, 2020 7:17 AM

You're right, R477!! A doctor in a white coat would simply NEVER be walking past an accident and help! Or in a car driving home and stop!! NEVER!!! I'll never get passed it!

by Anonymousreply 482September 20, 2020 1:46 PM

R479 She’s nowhere near as popular as any of those artists plus you leave out more popular artists who don’t have new material. She’s ugly and boring.

by Anonymousreply 483September 20, 2020 10:22 PM

The JanBot turned OGH is pathetic! It just can't STAND Gaga's greatness.

It's actually quite funny to watch its meltdowns.

by Anonymousreply 484September 21, 2020 1:24 AM

Am I allegedly Janbot because I called out a shitty Gaga video?

I bet Gaga would defend every decision in that garbage 911 video is as if they were her own. And, again, I like Gaga! But she’s no better than Madonna in terms of intellectual property theft.

The only difference between Gaga and Madonna is that Gaga’s theater nerd ARTISTE persona is grating, particular for a 35 year old woman.

Wasn’t this a Katy Perry thread?

by Anonymousreply 485September 21, 2020 4:35 AM

R485

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486September 21, 2020 8:29 AM

R486 You know Stephen Sondheim wrote that song you fucking idiot, not Madonna.

I’ve not weighed in yet but Gag fans (what few we have left) are nuts. She’s average talent with a shockingly ugly body/face and a schizophrenic personality. She’s always trying too hard. Her latest alien look or whatever it is has given me some hysterical laughs.

by Anonymousreply 487September 21, 2020 11:25 AM

The Lady Gaga haters like R487 are demented and scary. Lady Gaga is the face of the brand new, international Valentino campaign because she's "shockingly ugly." Just be honest and say that you hate successful women.

by Anonymousreply 488September 21, 2020 12:48 PM

R488 Sure, Jan lmfao

by Anonymousreply 489September 21, 2020 9:31 PM

And 911 rockets all the way to #... 103 on US iTunes.

15 million views on youtube - down 19 spots to 22.

Spotify? Apple Music? N/A.

For such a groundbreaking visual artiste... 🤣🤣

by Anonymousreply 490September 22, 2020 3:15 AM

R487, she's beautiful with a fat ass and a tight little pussy. I know you watched the 2020 VMAs performance, so don't lie.

She is batshit insane though. And a creative genius. That's why I love her.

Katy is such a non-factor, we're not even talking about her in her own thread. 🤣🤣

by Anonymousreply 491September 22, 2020 10:19 PM

Creative genius who needs to steal songwriting credits from Diane Warren (look at Linda Perry’s Twitter) and has to duet with more popular artists to get a hit or needs 5+ songwriters per song? Bwhahahaha

by Anonymousreply 492September 22, 2020 10:40 PM

R492 Did Perry talk about Gaga's boring hunting ground song?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 493September 23, 2020 2:19 AM

Mark Ronson threw Gaga a bone and gave her a writing credit on Shallow, knowing that it would be nominated for an Oscar. He's a very nice and generous guy who didn't have to do that.

by Anonymousreply 494September 23, 2020 2:35 AM

R492 Absolutely that was all Ronson.

by Anonymousreply 495September 23, 2020 2:50 AM

[quote] Absolutely that was all Ronson.

Except for the "ahhh ahhhh ahhh ahhh ahhh ahhhhh" part of the song, that was all Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 496September 23, 2020 4:43 AM

R496 True. The brilliance!

by Anonymousreply 497September 23, 2020 11:25 AM

A Katy Perry thread and no one wants to talk about anything but Lady Gaga. I think that says it all right there. Gaga is far more interesting. Everyone thought Gaga was over and Katy was queen when Roar slaughtered Applause, but this thread proves otherwise. Despite a couple bumps in the road along the way, Gaga ended up being the one with more longevity in the end.

by Anonymousreply 498September 23, 2020 12:28 PM

R496, Bitch, you know Miss Gaga wrote a good part of Shallow. It was a collaborative process. Gaga wrote CHROMATICA which is >>>>> than that basic song, anyway. Always Remember Us This Way is far superior to Shallow as well, and that was likely a singular Gaga vision

by Anonymousreply 499September 23, 2020 6:25 PM

R499, Always Remember Us This Way is easily Gaga's best song. It's what made me start really liking her.

by Anonymousreply 500September 23, 2020 6:34 PM

R498 A few bumps. Lolololol. 9 years of nothing. A few duets yet she’s struggling to be relevant to the top 10 current females. Katy, on record, is more successful. Period. And a muuuuuch better songwriter, more pleasant voice. General public has been over Gags even after ASIB. Teehee

by Anonymousreply 501September 23, 2020 11:06 PM

R501 Katy Perry, a songwriter? Are we talking about the same girl? Lady GAGA has several legit writing credits to her name, including You and I, solo.

by Anonymousreply 502September 24, 2020 12:54 AM

The JanBot (and now Gagabot) is so interesting! This is my first time witnessing it out in the wild!

by Anonymousreply 503September 24, 2020 12:54 AM

R502 Lololololol. Gags sucks as a songwriter. Katy is legit more successful. And like able. And actually pretty.

by Anonymousreply 504September 24, 2020 1:32 AM

R504, Katy and pretty don't belong in the same sentence. She is the definition of basic white girl, and without makeup, fugly.

Gaga has a hotter body and more unique and naturally pretty face. Also, lights years more talented, intelligent, and creative than flop Katy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 505September 24, 2020 4:00 AM

Lady Gaga without makeup, compared to fug flop Katy Kat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 506September 24, 2020 4:06 AM

More Gaga make-up free

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 507September 24, 2020 4:09 AM

R507 But not filter-free

by Anonymousreply 508September 24, 2020 9:03 AM

Gaga is a lot of things but she’s not attractive in the least.

by Anonymousreply 509September 24, 2020 11:36 AM

R509 Yes, I think that makes her success all the more remarkable. It isn't usual for an "ugly" woman to make it in the pop world. Lots of women make it in that industry despite not being particularly talented or creative because they are very pretty. Gaga isn't what you'd call "conventionally attractive," but she made it anyway out of sheer talent and creativity.

by Anonymousreply 510September 24, 2020 1:02 PM

She's downright homely.

by Anonymousreply 511September 24, 2020 2:46 PM

R510 Sheer talent of others. She spent 9 years not having hits. Bradley gave her a minute back but largely no one cares. Her latest did tepid though her few fans will lie. The majority of her “sales” are from streaming thanks to the far more talented and popular Ariana.

by Anonymousreply 512September 24, 2020 11:41 PM

What will Katy do now that her music career is over?

by Anonymousreply 513September 30, 2020 4:41 AM

A talk show.

by Anonymousreply 514October 1, 2020 1:51 AM

Katy, Taylor, Britney...I never liked any of them, a song here or there was okay.

I grew up in the 70s; Olivia Newton John, Karen Carpenter (RIP), Toni Tonielle, Helen Reddy (RIP), and Melissa Manchester.

There's no comparison.

by Anonymousreply 515October 3, 2020 12:51 AM

People always rate the music they grew up with higher.

by Anonymousreply 516October 3, 2020 1:22 AM

She is a smart cookie. She laid a golden egg with Legolas and if they break up she will get massive child support payments until the kid is 20.

She never needs to make another album ever.

by Anonymousreply 517October 3, 2020 1:52 AM

You think Legolas has money?

by Anonymousreply 518October 3, 2020 1:56 AM

R518. Why ask a rhetorical question? All the LotR lead actors made tens of millions.

by Anonymousreply 519October 3, 2020 1:58 AM

And also Legolas made tons of money with those ghastly Pirates movies.

Oh yes, he is rich.

Final proof: Miranda Kerr latched on to him and laid a golden egg as well. Kerr is a pure gold digger and wouldn't mess with anyone who isn't really rich. She ended up marrying Snapchat dude worth 5 billion.

by Anonymousreply 520October 3, 2020 2:01 AM

He's not Katy Perry rich.

by Anonymousreply 521October 3, 2020 2:02 AM

Thank you R370. Some people are just so obsessed with me on DL, including some on my Ignore List. Funny, even some of them threatened to place me on ignore and then never followed through.

Sad really.

by Anonymousreply 522October 3, 2020 3:02 AM

Fair enough, R516, but these girls today can't hit the high notes the way the singers in the 70s could.

by Anonymousreply 523October 3, 2020 3:14 AM

Karen Carpenter? High notes?

by Anonymousreply 524October 3, 2020 3:15 AM

R517, Katy is worth like $250 million. She doesn't need his money.

by Anonymousreply 525October 3, 2020 3:52 AM

Katy Perry's bombtastic "Smile" has left the Billboard 200 after just 4 weeks. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

by Anonymousreply 526October 8, 2020 2:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!