Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Men of "Sex and the City"

The women on Sex and the City were perfectly cast, but most of the male actors were cringeworthy and annoying.

Every scene with John Corbett and Miranda's baby-voiced boyfriend Steve is unbearable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 601September 13, 2020 10:25 AM

Would any breathing human being reject Blair Underwood for David Eigenberg?

by Anonymousreply 1September 9, 2020 9:56 PM

Good ole country boys like Aidan don't live in Manhattan, and Carrie would never have dated him. All of her friends would have called him out as a redneck.

by Anonymousreply 2September 9, 2020 9:56 PM

Yes, r1. I'd love a bartender at home.

by Anonymousreply 3September 9, 2020 9:56 PM

John Corbett is always annoying. I couldn't watch Northern Exposure, and after Maggie, Chris in the Morning was the biggest reason why. It always bothered me that NE was the most popular program Brand-Falsey ever made.

by Anonymousreply 4September 9, 2020 9:58 PM

What was the guy's name who played Burger? I found both the character and the actor unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 5September 9, 2020 10:01 PM

It was unrealistic that uptight Upper East Side women like Charlotte would be associated with a promiscuous downtown cougar like Samantha.

by Anonymousreply 6September 9, 2020 10:01 PM

R5

Ron Livingston, and I agree. The most hilarious part of that storyline was that he dumped Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 7September 9, 2020 10:02 PM

Charlotte's ugly bald husband who demanded that she convert to Judaism and then acted overburdened when she tried to be a hood jew. That whole storyline was so messed up.

by Anonymousreply 8September 9, 2020 10:04 PM

R1

Nothing against Blair Underwood, but I think David Eigenberg is hot as hell. I'd love to get some of that.

Maybe he's not classically or gay vernacular hot, but he's definitely my type.

I would have suggested him for the 'Hot Jewish Men' thread, but he was brought up Episcopalian.

by Anonymousreply 9September 9, 2020 10:04 PM

I thought it was brave for the times to cast a man in the Carrie role.

by Anonymousreply 10September 9, 2020 10:04 PM

*a good jew, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 11September 9, 2020 10:05 PM

SATC didn't pay especially well, particularly in the early seasons. It really only exploded toward the end of its run and then became a money machine in syndication (and the godawful movies), and then only for the leads.

I assume the producers never really got their first choice for any of the male roles. Justin Theroux (back when he was no one of note) actually appeared twice, as two different characters in different episodes. Matthew McConnaghy's cameo in the LA episode (and Vince Vaughan's guest role in the same arc) makes no sense whatsoever: it's so clear the part was written for someone else altogether.

The ultimate example of this is Baryshnikov in the final season. Just godawful. No chemistry with SJP, playing a charmless, underwritten character (and badly)... you know that he was probably last on a short list of "names" to play Big's rival.

by Anonymousreply 12September 9, 2020 10:06 PM

this is the only thing i will ever remember that show for

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 9, 2020 10:11 PM

The Aiden character should have been two episodes max.

It's so disappointing that once Steve and Aiden are finally broken up with, THEY BOTH COME BACK and become recurring characters again!

by Anonymousreply 14September 9, 2020 10:12 PM

I thought Jason wasnt great casting. A cliche perfect gent, the only twist being he liked an older woman. I think Samantha and Richard were more interesting, and worked better with Kim's character. Should have just left their story as neither were really monogamous But they still had a connection. Instead they wrote him into a mostster that anyone would seem better than.

by Anonymousreply 15September 9, 2020 10:13 PM

[quote]The ultimate example of this is Baryshnikov in the final season. Just godawful.

Yes! Awful.

And then they gave SJP a completely unnecessary storyline that didn't take place with her biggest costar -- New York City -- just so she could go to Paris on HBO's dime.

by Anonymousreply 16September 9, 2020 10:13 PM

Jason Lewis actually seems like a sweet, down-to-earth fellow. A great actor he is not.

And he will never look quite like that again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 9, 2020 10:14 PM

Bradley Cooper also had a cameo early on.

by Anonymousreply 18September 9, 2020 10:15 PM

Justin Theroux played Valerie Harper's son dating Carrie with the charismatic family in season two, and a different character in season one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 9, 2020 10:19 PM

Justin Theroux season 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 9, 2020 10:22 PM

Poor Skipper, Carrie's "friend" who is abused by Miranda (at her cuntiest). A regular in S1, then he completely disappeared.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 9, 2020 10:26 PM

The hottest: Nick Scotti was either UPS or FedEx and hooked with Samantha in her office. He was so hot. Loved him in Kiss Me Guido and thought he would have a bigger career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 9, 2020 10:34 PM

R22 ew, no. So sleazy.

Older Skipper looks like Tom Hanks.

by Anonymousreply 23September 9, 2020 10:42 PM

The gay men were the biggest disappointment. They should have thrown in a few cuties. Sanford Blatch was OK but the bitchy queen was unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 24September 9, 2020 10:47 PM

Carrie was superficial enough to have cuter gay friends.

by Anonymousreply 25September 9, 2020 10:50 PM

I really hated the Stanford Blatch character, but in retrospect, that had more to do with the poor writing and concept for the character than with actor Willie Garson.

The show was never, ever about men, but the gay characters (Stanford, Mario Cantone's Anthony, some others) were pretty terrible. Cantone is/was very funny, but these characters were never more than a stereotype/accessory for the women. And the show's explorations of bisexuality in a couple of different episodes were phobic and dumb (much like their attitude toward race).

by Anonymousreply 26September 9, 2020 10:50 PM

How about cute and simpatico?

by Anonymousreply 27September 9, 2020 10:52 PM

Eh, I liked all the male leads. Big (Chris Noth) was great casting.

by Anonymousreply 28September 9, 2020 10:53 PM

Where is Carrie's modelizer friend?

by Anonymousreply 29September 9, 2020 10:53 PM

Stanford was essentially a reverse fag hag.

by Anonymousreply 30September 9, 2020 10:54 PM

Sarah Michelle Geller whispers "Warren Beatty" to Carrie in the LA episode since it was shot before he backed out and was replaced by Matthew McConaughey.

by Anonymousreply 31September 9, 2020 10:55 PM

Chris Noth was so hammy and always sounded like he was just saying lines.

by Anonymousreply 32September 9, 2020 10:56 PM

One of my fav!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 9, 2020 10:58 PM

None of you homos have mentioned my Trey. He was the most beautiful of all the men, and that whore Charlotte was never good enough for him.

by Anonymousreply 34September 9, 2020 11:01 PM

R34 His shirtless midnight tennis will forever be a series highlight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 9, 2020 11:03 PM

Actually, that blue collar firefighter daddy Samantha fucked at the beginning of S3 was very hot.

by Anonymousreply 36September 9, 2020 11:04 PM

Aidan was the worst. Whiny faux redneck. So depressive. Couldn't stand him.

by Anonymousreply 37September 9, 2020 11:05 PM

I liked the politician Carrie dated who wanted her to pee on him. For a sex columnist, she was such an uptight prude.

by Anonymousreply 38September 9, 2020 11:07 PM

MacLachlan is a pro and he made the most of a pretty thankless, buffoonish part.

The end of their marriage was actually touching, Watch how good MacLachlan is in these scenes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 9, 2020 11:09 PM

I always wished Mr Big would bang me against a wall

by Anonymousreply 40September 9, 2020 11:11 PM

The were all five hands too short and weak in the withers.

by Anonymousreply 41September 9, 2020 11:11 PM

[quote] And he will never look quite like that again.

He went from the naked Times Square cowboy to a Kurt Cobaine-esque cowboy.

by Anonymousreply 42September 9, 2020 11:12 PM

I thought Trey was fantastic. The cardboard baby was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 43September 9, 2020 11:12 PM

Sex and the City is one of those "groundbreaking" shows that hasn't aged well. It always looked ridiculous and if it wasn't for Samantha, it would be unbearable. Someone from England said it best "In America, SATC is a drama. In England, it's a comedy."

by Anonymousreply 44September 9, 2020 11:14 PM

I had a problem with how nasty Blair Underwood’s character became when he bumped into Miranda & Steve after they got back together. He was a perfect gentleman throughout the rest of his storyline, and then all of a sudden he’s getting vulgar? I get he was hurt and pissed, but it didn’t ring true.

by Anonymousreply 45September 9, 2020 11:15 PM

I admit: I always crushed on Eigenberg, and wanted to see him do full-frontal. Thankfully, he did "Take Me Out" on Broadway, and showed it all there. I believe the photos are still online somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 46September 9, 2020 11:15 PM

R36 I liked the firefighter and the other guy with the big ass Samantha meets on the street who has a huge dick.

by Anonymousreply 47September 9, 2020 11:16 PM

Remember Friar Fuck? He was hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 9, 2020 11:21 PM

John Enos, aka Mr. Cocky.

He dated Madonna for a while, BTW.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 9, 2020 11:24 PM

Don’t forget Bon Jovi!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 9, 2020 11:30 PM

R39 I agree they made an extreme even disturbing mama's boy into a character you could feel for- and in no small part credit for that goes to MacLachlan

by Anonymousreply 51September 9, 2020 11:33 PM

Oy, that episode. The idea that Carrie was the only one of the 4 women in NYC who ever even explored psychotherapy, and then only long enough to fuck Bon Jovi.

by Anonymousreply 52September 9, 2020 11:34 PM

R50’s picture of Bon Jovi under blacklight.

by Anonymousreply 53September 9, 2020 11:37 PM

Eigenberg had a banging body all throughout that series. I don’t know how anyone would fine him unattractive. The face is cute in a Norman Rockwell way.

by Anonymousreply 54September 9, 2020 11:38 PM

R21, poor skipper seems the most realistic of the whole cast

by Anonymousreply 55September 9, 2020 11:47 PM

R54, always had the hots for him, loved the accent and the boy next door gone to seed looks

by Anonymousreply 56September 9, 2020 11:54 PM

I loved David Duchovny as Carrie’s high school boyfriend who lived in a mental institution. I’d have waited for him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57September 9, 2020 11:56 PM

Eisenberg did look good but I will agree with OP - the way he talked and some weird childish facial mannerisms gave me the creeps. Also, his character was a wet blanket and a whiner extraordinaire.

by Anonymousreply 58September 9, 2020 11:57 PM

I read Stanford was based on a real person. Who was it, any info?

by Anonymousreply 59September 10, 2020 12:07 AM

I liked Stanford. He was a cliché but an endearing one.

by Anonymousreply 60September 10, 2020 12:08 AM

A (young-ish) John Slattery as Carrie's pee-on-me-politico.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61September 10, 2020 4:42 AM

Bradley Cooper and his douchey late 90s hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62September 10, 2020 4:44 AM

Timothy Gibbs, the detective who dated Miranda after Carrie's shoes were stolen on the street, played Mary Tyler Moore's son in "Just Between Friends."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 10, 2020 4:44 AM

That David Hamburger guy is unbearable as an actor with that freakish vocal fry of his and a complete asshole in real life. Ask.

by Anonymousreply 64September 10, 2020 5:06 AM

^Do you mean David Eigenberg?

by Anonymousreply 65September 10, 2020 5:07 AM

I guess I'm in the minority on this thread, but I thought SJP had the best chemistry with John Corbett and I found Carrie's relationship with Aidan the most believable. I never understood the love for Big after season 2 by Carrie or the many of fans of the show. By the end of the series and definitely in the movies, he was sort of a shell of a character and not worth the effort (nothing against Chris Noth). There was only one episode where I thought he was genuinely charming and utilized well and that was the I Heart NY episode and that slow twist to Moon River scene, other than that, his character was a void for me.

by Anonymousreply 66September 10, 2020 5:11 AM

Carrie’s boyfriends ranked. I think the guy who ranks last (the recovering alcoholic) was the hottest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67September 10, 2020 5:14 AM

^Do you mean David Eigenberg?

Yes

by Anonymousreply 68September 10, 2020 5:15 AM

Big would probably have ended up with Charlotte, since Natasha was just a Charlotte-clone.

by Anonymousreply 69September 10, 2020 5:19 AM

I had the biggest crush on DJ Kane from VH1, and then he showed up on the "KFC/High as a Kite" ep of 'SATC' with SJP out on the balcony. I wonder if they even paid him for that, or if it was done as a Viacom favour to have him guest star.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70September 10, 2020 5:20 AM

Candace Bushnell (who created the vaguely autobiographical SATC column/stories in the first place) has gone public, saying Carrie would never, ever have wound up with Mr. Big (based on a real-world publishing magnate, can't remember who). I think the finale was more about satisfying the expectations of the rabid frau fanbase they had by that point.

by Anonymousreply 71September 10, 2020 5:23 AM

Here’s a list of the Broadway actors who’ve been SATC boyfriends. I always wanted Dan Futterman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72September 10, 2020 5:25 AM

Sam Robards "The Male Samantha" is the son of Jason Robards and Lauren Bacall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 10, 2020 5:30 AM

r19 because he was friends with SJP irl.

by Anonymousreply 74September 10, 2020 5:33 AM

Berger was a douchebag, so dull, so boring. Carrie would never have dated him.

Big was the best BF for Carrie, he was as superficial as she was.

I never found Carrie very deep or all that interesting. Most fashionistas are deathly dull. Carrie was very immature. Her apartment was super depressing, like she was in some odd holding pattern, waiting for some man to give her a huge beautiful apartment. I've know some women who live like Carrie, they never make their places a home, boxes still filled with stuff, until their Mr. Big comes along. Their apartments are treated like hotel rooms, not a real home. Know what I mean?

Carrie didn't even have the downpayment for her apartment! Remember when her place went co-op! However, she had $40,000 worth of SHOES in her closet!

by Anonymousreply 75September 10, 2020 5:34 AM

r25 There was Oliver, the Aussie shoe distributor... #Jocks&Cocks4

by Anonymousreply 76September 10, 2020 5:38 AM

Carrie and her friends had pretty damn materialistic lifestyles. Which is fine if you're a law partner or a publicist with her own agency.

Not so good when you're an aging bohemian with a weekly newspaper column and a designer label obsession. Did bohemians ever wear Roberto Cavalli?

by Anonymousreply 77September 10, 2020 5:39 AM

Who here has had Sean Palmer (Marcus)? Spill!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78September 10, 2020 5:41 AM

I'd forgotten about Marcus. At least Stanford had a cute BF for a few episodes.

Pairing up Stanford and Anthony in the movies just felt... desperate.

by Anonymousreply 79September 10, 2020 5:45 AM

r62 My high school boyfriend had that exact hair.

by Anonymousreply 80September 10, 2020 5:46 AM

If you leave me now, you'll take away the biggest part of me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81September 10, 2020 5:52 AM

I hated Big from day one. I loved Aidan and thats who that dumb bitch shoulda stayed with. I loved Harry,Charlottes jew husband,because Ive been there done that with guys who are so not your taste and not the most attractive who throw that dick like a champ. You get dickmatized ! I loved Steve too,short nebbishy guys like that just send me. Berger is one of those sexy/ugly guys who I adore as well. Most of the boyfriends were good choices ,they all complimented their women in certain ways. I liked Stanford,hated Cantone's character (hate Cantone actually) . I know SATC gets a lot of hate ,and I admit the last couple of seasons sucked dog dick,but I still love it and watch it often . No,I have zero desire for another movie or a remake,but Im a loyal fan of the series for life.

by Anonymousreply 82September 10, 2020 5:55 AM

[quote] [R25] There was Oliver, the Aussie shoe distributor... #Jocks&Cocks4

Former toothpaste model and star of Looking and Tales Of The City, Murray Bartlett.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83September 10, 2020 6:09 AM

83 replies in 8 hours. Boy, DL sure hates this basic ass show.

by Anonymousreply 84September 10, 2020 6:15 AM

I remember thinking that the show was groundbreaking the first season or two. Back then, it was not exclusively watched by women and gay men; the audience while not exactly the most faithful (very few "Melrose Place-like" viewing parties for instance) was somewhat more broadly diverse and the show felt sexy/racy/singles-making-it-in-a-big-city. Plenty of straight guys watched Friends and the Real World and SATC was no different from what I remember. As the show progressed it became more whiny, bitchy and focused more on finding Mr. Right or bitching about men in general and less about independent, young singles enjoying sex and city life. Despite an increase in popularity, I think that the show lost its more broad appeal. I still enjoyed it personally - but it seemed less fresh. Let's face it - the actors were getting a bit too old to play youthful, careless and single. As for the men, I thought the show brought plenty of eye candy - many of Samantha's fuck buddies in general were damn hot.

by Anonymousreply 85September 10, 2020 6:18 AM

I love Ron Livingston in Office Space so much so I was disappointed when Berger turned out to be so douchey.

That’s pretty spot on, r85. Most people here point to when SJP became exec producer and I think that’s about right. And of course the city had changed a bit since the late 90s, too. What season did Carrie finally stop smoking?

by Anonymousreply 86September 10, 2020 7:22 AM

Smith was hot in the series but aged like milk by the movie

by Anonymousreply 87September 10, 2020 7:30 AM

Few men have gone from hot to not as quickly as Jason Lewis.

by Anonymousreply 88September 10, 2020 7:44 AM

Canuck actor Victor Webster playing Wall Street yuppie stockbroerk Chip Kil-Kinney.

There irony is that Webster actually did work as a stockbroker once in real life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89September 10, 2020 7:50 AM

Male model Andrea Boccaletti as male model Derek

Candace Bushnell loosely based him on her interactions with 90s Calvin Klein male model Michael Bergin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90September 10, 2020 7:57 AM

r90 I hope Candace hit that.

by Anonymousreply 91September 10, 2020 8:25 AM

What about the Power Lesbians?

by Anonymousreply 92September 10, 2020 8:29 AM

To this day I'm not sure if the show cleverly spoofed the vapid, shallow, materialistic culture of the late 90s or full-on glamorized it to please the fans (just like Glee turned from a biting satire into a sappy teen rom-com show).

Loved David Eigenberg. Steve was the necessary counterpoint who got Miranda's giant broom stick out of her ass. Nobody else of her romantic interests were ever able to accomplish that. That's why he had to come back. He was the one who could make her see reason and even move to some un-hip neighborhood and take in a relative who needs care.

Carry was a horrid shrew. Entertaining to watch, but would be unbearable as a friend (and even worse as lover). She was the ultimate poser who talked a big, provocative game but got overwhelmed by the smallest things. It made great entertainment, but didn't make me like her character much.

Charlotte was somehow interesting in the sense that Kristen was able to sell the desperate WASP aching for a fairy tale marriage and yet getting some edgy scenes by kissing a lot of frogs on the way only for her fairy tale marriage to be destroyed by picking a spineless momma's boy.

Kim Catrall as Samantha was just fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 93September 10, 2020 8:34 AM

Sorry, Carrie (not Carry).

by Anonymousreply 94September 10, 2020 8:37 AM

Agree with the poster above who said Charlotte’s hideous husband, Harry. Remember the scene where he’s walking around naked and sitting on the sofa?

by Anonymousreply 95September 10, 2020 8:56 AM

Bunny MacfuckingDougal was the star of the whole thing, running circles around everyone and everything.

by Anonymousreply 96September 10, 2020 9:43 AM

Looking back, SATC was just a terrible series. The hype was unwarranted. SJP always looked like shit without the styling of the show.

by Anonymousreply 97September 10, 2020 9:53 AM

The series would have been SO much better if SJP hadn't been in it at all.

by Anonymousreply 98September 10, 2020 10:22 AM

Daniel Sunjata

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99September 10, 2020 10:24 AM

How about Mirandas guy who could cum only when caught. It culminated with his mom walking in on them.

And of course, there’s Charlotte’s “You fucking cunt you fucking whore”, darling words to scream while shooting a load. That’s where see you next Tuesday came from.

by Anonymousreply 100September 10, 2020 10:26 AM

More Sunjata

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101September 10, 2020 10:27 AM

8 of Samantha's fucks are here, with photos of what they look like 20 years later. Shocking that the actors had to bring their own clothes along to film in.

I'd still milk Farmer Luke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102September 10, 2020 10:29 AM

R66 Agree about the I Heart NY episode (which eerily was shot before 9-11) but Big wasn’t even going to let Carrie know he was leaving New York. It just wasn’t plausible that they ended up together — in Paris.

R71 Mr. Big was based on publisher Ron Galotti.

by Anonymousreply 103September 10, 2020 10:40 AM

Didn't Ron Livingston go to court once because his wikipedia article said he was gay? He must be as insufferable in real life as he was on SATC.

by Anonymousreply 104September 10, 2020 10:58 AM

Isn't John Corbitt a right-winger?

by Anonymousreply 105September 10, 2020 11:57 AM

I hated what they did to Samantha - Kim Cattrall’s character started out much more balanced. She had stones and would fuck anything that stood still, but she also had heart. Remember the episode when Carrie confessed that she’d cheated on Aidan with Big and told Samantha to go ahead and judge her? And Samantha just gave her a wink and said “Not my style.” That summed her up perfectly. By the 2nd movie she’d become a shrill, angry caricature of herself.

by Anonymousreply 106September 10, 2020 12:06 PM

If we’re counting the movies, Raza Jaffrey as Carrie’s butler was delicious,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107September 10, 2020 12:09 PM

Jew in the Hood. Wasn't that a brief Norman Lear sitcom in the 70s?

by Anonymousreply 108September 10, 2020 12:17 PM

Frau here. I thought the show was a live-action cartoon. Funny but completely unrealistic. Big would never have married Carrie, Charlotte maybe, never Carrie. Aidan would have been appalled by Carrie's shallow materialism and vapid writing. Samantha was the show.

by Anonymousreply 109September 10, 2020 12:30 PM

[quote]Didn't Ron Livingston go to court once because his wikipedia article said he was gay?

yep

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110September 10, 2020 12:35 PM

How pathetic. What kind of person do you have to be to sue over a WIKIPEDIA entry?! Or doth the lady protest too much?

by Anonymousreply 111September 10, 2020 12:51 PM

I thought the main male characters were well drawn. The minor male characters were designed to parody run-of-the-mill sexual humiliation/mishaps, so were weak/unlikeable/ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 112September 10, 2020 12:53 PM

These are REAL New York men!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113September 10, 2020 1:21 PM

Yeah because Bobby Cannavale, Justin Theroux and John Enos weren’t good enough for OP! Racist!

by Anonymousreply 114September 10, 2020 1:24 PM

I actually bought a calendar of this guy after the movie came out. 😌

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115September 10, 2020 1:38 PM

This show aged like milk. It also ushered in an insufferable demographic who moved to nyc to live their “Carrie life”. I hate this show so much.

by Anonymousreply 116September 10, 2020 1:49 PM

Jason Lewis was very hot!

by Anonymousreply 117September 10, 2020 1:54 PM

I always liked Steve. Wanted more for him than Miranda. Imagine being married to her. Exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 118September 10, 2020 2:01 PM

Miranda I liked, she was elitist and too fancy pants for me, but she seemed aware of it at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 119September 10, 2020 2:07 PM

[Quote]I always liked Steve. Wanted more for him than Miranda. Imagine being married to her. Exhausting.

After we moved to Brooklyn, she couldn't even be bothered waxing her pussy for me anymore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120September 10, 2020 2:13 PM

Didn’t the Jazz musician Carrie dated (Craig Bierko) have ADHD?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121September 10, 2020 2:28 PM

R44 has it. The show was fun, ridiculous, groundbreaking, interesting, pointed, observant at that time. It generated lots of dialogue.

However, on retrospect, SATC didn't age well. There's little continuity. Some of the men were mistreated by these highly self-entitled thoughtless women.

by Anonymousreply 122September 10, 2020 2:51 PM

Hottest guy - the gardener at Bunny's Conn. house

Biggest dreamboat - Smith Jerrod

Unsexiest - 3-way tie, Steve, Harry, Aiden

Funniest - Anthony

Least likely to be a good husband - Big

by Anonymousreply 123September 10, 2020 2:54 PM

Here's David Eigenberg nude on stage. Not bad, actually, as long as we don't hear him speak.

His character on SATC always reminded me of Radar O'Reilly on MASH.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124September 10, 2020 3:05 PM

[quote] Hottest guy - the gardener at Bunny's Conn. house

That was Burt the Gardener, played by Steve Richard Harris.

Webster was probably the most classically handsome guy on the show. But they oiled up Harris, so his body looked more shiny.

by Anonymousreply 125September 10, 2020 3:10 PM

Forgot to add a photo of Harris

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126September 10, 2020 3:11 PM

I largely agree with OP. Steve was the worst. Whoever said they wanted David Eigenberg, please take him.

by Anonymousreply 127September 10, 2020 3:15 PM

Victor Webster is beautiful. I'd like him better with longer hair.

by Anonymousreply 128September 10, 2020 3:16 PM

R66 I agree with almost everything you said. I think the series should have ended with I Heart NY. Carrie as evident in the Bon Jovi episode, had to deal with "I pick the wrong men" as her main arc. Big was only about the excitment of living dangerously in one's youth. But it makes for misery.. However the emotional caos is what made the show interesting. You wouldn't want to watch the show without Big, but like Bushnell in rl, he wouldn't last with Carrie. Not his style.

by Anonymousreply 129September 10, 2020 3:17 PM

"Oh, Charlotte, you're a MacDougal now!"

by Anonymousreply 130September 10, 2020 3:17 PM

"None of you homos have mentioned my Trey. He was the most beautiful of all the men, and that whore Charlotte was never good enough for him. "

Not sure he was the most beautiful, but I really enjoyed the Trey character and his mother.

by Anonymousreply 131September 10, 2020 3:18 PM

"I had a problem with how nasty Blair Underwood’s character became when he bumped into Miranda & Steve after they got back together. He was a perfect gentleman throughout the rest of his storyline, and then all of a sudden he’s getting vulgar? I get he was hurt and pissed, but it didn’t ring true. "

I can believe it. People act over-the-top to breakups sometimes. And what did he really do. He was bitter towards them in the elevator and then got over it with his condo threesome.

by Anonymousreply 132September 10, 2020 3:21 PM

How about Miranda's marathon running guy who she faked orgasms with? I remember him being hot.

by Anonymousreply 133September 10, 2020 3:25 PM

The actor who played Charlotte’s brother in one episode (Jack Mulcahy) was hot. Samantha got to fuck him. Both he and Cattrall appeared in Porky’s about 20 years earlier. I couldn’t find a decent pic of him to post.

In that same episode, Miranda meets a single dad at the gym. He was played by Daniel McDonald who died young - I think from a heart attack. He was also Jen Aniston’s “first love”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134September 10, 2020 3:25 PM

"What about the Power Lesbians? "

I liked that episode. Tamara Tunnie was one of the lesbians; forgot who the other main one was. Then the Asian lesbian tells Charlotte that they don't need any hanger-on lez hags. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 135September 10, 2020 3:30 PM

Big might have ended up with Carrie. At the beginning he was a hot 43 yr old exec and Carrie was a cute but dorky unsophisticated girl. By the end, Big was over 50, overweight, had big bags under his eyes, had had a serious heart op, and 2 divorces behind him. He had tried and failed to leave NY for Ca. By then, Carrie had wised up, had published a book and become a NYC personality. She was making more money and was a lot more polished and assured. Big was tired. So you could say she had won by default.

by Anonymousreply 136September 10, 2020 3:30 PM

I can still watch and enjoy the first three seasons at least.

by Anonymousreply 137September 10, 2020 3:36 PM

I don't think any Americans thought SATC was a drama.

by Anonymousreply 138September 10, 2020 3:40 PM

R102, Thanks for linking that. Sounds like Kim Cattrall is a real class act.

by Anonymousreply 139September 10, 2020 3:41 PM

I liked the first season when it was like they were interviewing singles in the street and they spoke to the camera. That ended fast.

I never could figure out why Carrie fixated on Big to the point she was stalking him like a psycho and it always bothered me that she would pull out a cigarette and try smoking wherever she happened to be like she just fell off the turnip truck. There was some swanky party Big took Carrie to and she pulled one out and tried lighting it in this woman's penthouse and when the woman says "outside" Carrie has a tantrum. No one would have done that without first seeing others smoking or asking first. Carrie was always childish and whining. I liked her at first but she was too materialistic and self-centered as the show went on. I actually liked Aidan, who would never date Carrie. When he took her to his cute little cabin all she did was complain and screech every time she saw a fucking squirrel.

Charlotte was likable but such a desperate social climber and she loved to scream in excitement (hate those types of women). Miranda was a ball-busting, cynical bitch but I did grow to like her more as the show went on. Her hairstyles was so butch when the show went on and then it grew out and she looked much better. Loved Samantha but as the show wore on she seemed more and more like a desperate sex addict who needed counseling. It's one thing to like sex but fucking random guys on the street is dangerous. Realistically there is no way she could escape an STD or abortion or two.

The other thing that always bugged me was zero mention of families except the episode when Miranda's mother dies. Did these women all come from a cabbage patch? No phone calls from annoying parents nosing in their lives? I know the show was about the four women they never had parents drop in for the weekend or visited for Christmas. Seemed weird to me.

by Anonymousreply 140September 10, 2020 4:13 PM

Work. Work. Au Bon Pain. Work.

by Anonymousreply 141September 10, 2020 4:37 PM

[quote]Loved Samantha but as the show wore on she seemed more and more like a desperate sex addict who needed counseling. It's one thing to like sex but fucking random guys on the street is dangerous. Realistically there is no way she could escape an STD or abortion or two.

Samantha have an ABORTION? I can't help but remember she was SIXTY!

by Anonymousreply 142September 10, 2020 5:14 PM

"Loved Samantha but as the show wore on she seemed more and more like a desperate sex addict who needed counseling. It's one thing to like sex but fucking random guys on the street is dangerous. Realistically there is no way she could escape an STD or abortion or two."

Do people really take sitcoms this seriously?

by Anonymousreply 143September 10, 2020 5:16 PM

Just making a comment R143. I do believe Carrie had an abortion that was addressed while she was dating Aiden.

by Anonymousreply 144September 10, 2020 5:19 PM

Carrie was supposed to be so stylish, but the way Patricia Field dressed her was tacky. A button-down guy like Big would never date her.

by Anonymousreply 145September 10, 2020 5:28 PM

I agree about Samanthas character arc. it went from fun and fierce and independent to just needy and sad. My favorite character was Miranda . I know that puts me in the lower percent but I just related to her. My least favorite was of course Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 146September 10, 2020 5:29 PM

Carrie wore some of the most ridiculous shit. Even in the movie, a 40 year old Carrie is wearing a mini skirt with thigh high socks. Remember the pink tutu and a lot of times she seemed really overdressed for some occasion.

by Anonymousreply 147September 10, 2020 5:37 PM

If we were doing the Mary and Rhoda comparison for SATC, I'd definitely be a Miranda.

by Anonymousreply 148September 10, 2020 5:39 PM

I liked Mr Big but I never thought he would marry Carrie and jetting off to Paris in the final episode to bring her back was just fan-wanking. Agree that his type of character would never be interested in a boho chick like Carrie; as a side piece maybe (like that time he took her to the out-of-the-way restaurant). I also never understood what Aiden or Barishnikov saw in her, seriously WHAT did they talk about? They have nothing in common.

My favorite couple ended up as Charlotte and Harry. After she dumps him for being too hairy and sitting naked on the sofa and not good enough for a princess like her, then there’s the scene where they reconnect at the singles event and she apologizes. So her character shows real growth and her character arc ended right there.

by Anonymousreply 149September 10, 2020 5:42 PM

My least favorites were Berger and that annoying as fuck jazz musician. I wanted to slap the shit out of him.

by Anonymousreply 150September 10, 2020 5:48 PM

I hated Berger but liked the episodes he was in, if that makes any sense. All culminating to the Post It episode which has to be one of my favorites of the entire show.

Totally agree about the jazz musician -hated him and always skip the episodes he was in!

by Anonymousreply 151September 10, 2020 5:52 PM

[quote]I agree about Samantha's character arc. it went from fun and fierce and independent to just needy and sad.

I think that happened because SJP became a producer and wanted to humiliate the actress. SJP also made Kimi do a lot of nudity, something SJP refused to do.

by Anonymousreply 152September 10, 2020 5:54 PM

[quote]My favorite couple ended up as Charlotte and Harry. After she dumps him for being too hairy and sitting naked on the sofa and not good enough for a princess like her, then there’s the scene where they reconnect at the singles event and she apologizes. So her character shows real growth and her character arc ended right there.

I agree with this. That was the most "real" moment of the whole series.

[quote]I hated Berger but liked the episodes he was in,

I liked that he called Carrie out for her ridiculous, tiny hat -- and she got so tetchy about it. "It's fabulous!" We were supposed to side with her, but I was on his side in that scene. She seemed so silly.

by Anonymousreply 153September 10, 2020 5:56 PM

Berger was totally correct about her hat and didn't she have some ridiculous shrieking screed about "scrunchies!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 154September 10, 2020 6:03 PM

That was a shitty thing of her to do -- point out a flaw in his already published book.

Anyone with any sense and decency would have kept quiet.

by Anonymousreply 155September 10, 2020 6:07 PM

Victor Webster was sex on a stick. I loved him in Mutant X. I wish he was gay. He has aged well

by Anonymousreply 156September 10, 2020 6:07 PM

The ugliest guy Samantha screwed was that guys with the Suzy Wong housekeeper. I kept thing "ewww". The Turtle was pretty gross too but I don't think she screwed him, just cleaned him up.

by Anonymousreply 157September 10, 2020 6:09 PM

I was done with Carrie when Big dropped the bomb that he was moving to Paris and she hurled the McDonald’s bags across the kitchen, like a monkey flinging its own poo.

by Anonymousreply 158September 10, 2020 6:11 PM

[quote]The Turtle was pretty gross too but I don't think she screwed him, just cleaned him up.

Wasn't she with him because he ate pussy like a champ?

by Anonymousreply 159September 10, 2020 6:13 PM

No, R159 that was Charlotte's brief fling with the pussy eating champ.

by Anonymousreply 160September 10, 2020 6:14 PM

R81 The ending of the prom episode was sweet. I actually thought that scene would have made a perfect end to the series, just Carrie dancing alone and happy.

by Anonymousreply 161September 10, 2020 6:20 PM

Carrie treated Aiden like shit. She saw that he was happy and BEGGED him to come back to her, just so she could treat him like shit again. The whole thing about the engagement ring was nauseating.

by Anonymousreply 162September 10, 2020 6:30 PM

Big was such a weirdly opaque character, it always felt like a committee of aliens had come up with him using some algorithm after been shown a series of flash cards about “masculine energy”. Also, it’s funny now to watch all of his cheeseball boomer shtick and think that it was intended to read as “sexy”.

by Anonymousreply 163September 10, 2020 6:37 PM

"I'm sorry. I can't. Don't hate me."

"The motherfucker's concise..."

by Anonymousreply 164September 10, 2020 6:41 PM

YOU HAVE TO FORGIVE ME!

YOU HAVE TO FORGIVE ME!!

YOU HAVE TO FORGIVE ME!!!

by Anonymousreply 165September 10, 2020 6:43 PM

Petrovsky was a horrible character, lazily acted by Baryshnikov, but it's ludicrous to believe that an internationally famous artist would become infatuated by unsophisticated sex-column writer Carrie. It was pure ego-strip for SJP.

by Anonymousreply 166September 10, 2020 6:51 PM

^trip^

by Anonymousreply 167September 10, 2020 6:51 PM

Whenever Steve and Aidan were shown together they seemed to have a more genuine rapport than the women. The show's main friend group only related to each other through Carrie; the only subplot between two of the women without Carrie I can recall is when Charlotte's brother shtupped Samantha.

by Anonymousreply 168September 10, 2020 6:59 PM

The most laughable and ridiculous thing about SATC is every handsome and rich men wanted to date Carrie who is certainly not a young and attractive woman.

by Anonymousreply 169September 10, 2020 7:02 PM

[quote]The most laughable and ridiculous thing about SATC is every handsome and rich men wanted to date Carrie who is certainly not a young and attractive woman.

Hold my beer.

by Anonymousreply 170September 10, 2020 7:06 PM

R169 if you’re whorish you don’t have to be — have you seen some of the catches avg looking women in NYC have been able to snag? Especially if you have a good body, which she did.

by Anonymousreply 171September 10, 2020 7:14 PM

I remember laughing my ass off at the outfit Carrie wore to meet the artist in Paris in. Carrie's idea of chic Parisian wear.

by Anonymousreply 172September 10, 2020 7:19 PM

Sarah Jessica Parker was quite attractive in a “mouseburger who knows how to put herself over” way for the first few seasons - and she had an insane body. I feel like she was a casebook example of “motherhood steals a woman’s beauty”. After she had her kid, she came back looking 20 years older - all old lady sinew and features that seem to get harder and sharper by the episode.

by Anonymousreply 173September 10, 2020 7:36 PM

SJP looked her best in S5 when she was preggers and sported the shorter styled ‘do.

by Anonymousreply 174September 10, 2020 7:39 PM

Oh god now. When she had the horrible short Berger hair. No.

by Anonymousreply 175September 10, 2020 7:49 PM

I personally think SJP looked her very best in season 3. Her make-up was softer, the fuller hair with more dimensional color (not too dark and not too light with some contrast), and some of the most iconic style moments (Dior newsprint dress, lapel flowers, etc.). It was jarring when the series returned in season 4 and her hair was really blond and frizzy, which washed her out and made her features appear sharper than they already are. It was a noticeable change for the worse, but her appearance improved as that season went on. I think she looked good in the last season as well.

by Anonymousreply 176September 10, 2020 7:50 PM

Word was that SJP bobbed her hair because it literally broke off in pieces with the constant bleaching/highlighting, straightening, blowing out, etc. She grew it long again as soon as possible.

Long hair used to suit her but now it just makes her look like an aging hag. I think she's stuck in that look, always pretending it's still 1999.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177September 10, 2020 7:56 PM

She did have a great body but like most women who are too thin and muscular she looked haggard as she aged.

by Anonymousreply 178September 10, 2020 8:01 PM

I remember when she first won the Golden Globe (I think it was January 2000), and thinking to myself for the first time “wow, she actually is kind of pretty.” I think that was her peak looks wise, assuming I’m right on the year.

But r173 is totally right, too.

by Anonymousreply 179September 10, 2020 8:02 PM

I liked the series well enough when it first aired but I didn’t have cable so I didn’t see it very often. Then around ten years ago it was being rerun on a local station, all the sex, nudity, and curse words cut out so it ran about 20 minutes plus a shit ton of commercials. Watching it night after night like that, it was very easy to come to despise Carrie.

There’s a new attempt, starring Lily Collins as a social media person moved to Paris to show the French how it’s done. It looks obnoxious as hell.

by Anonymousreply 180September 10, 2020 8:16 PM

Also R172 we were supposed to believe she wore that on the flight from New York?

by Anonymousreply 181September 10, 2020 8:41 PM

One of the best episodes is My Motherboard, Myself.

That and What Goes Around Comes Around & Cock A Doodle Do!

by Anonymousreply 182September 10, 2020 8:48 PM

Not too many actresses can pull off physical comedy and transition into emotional scenes like Sarah Jessica Parker and Cynthia Nixon did throughout the series.

by Anonymousreply 183September 10, 2020 9:25 PM

R151 the post-it episode and the one where Carrie's shoes are stolen at Tatum O'Neal's party are my favorites

by Anonymousreply 184September 10, 2020 9:43 PM

Kim brought class to the show that elevated it to a level that it inherently didn't deserve.

I'm re-linking the article about the men who worked with her on the show, everybody needs to read it, she was a class act and a consummate professional.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185September 11, 2020 12:49 AM

What I read was that she was a CUNT!

by Anonymousreply 186September 11, 2020 12:54 AM

So handsome Mark Devine (aka Maytag Repairman), also was one of the SATC boyfriends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187September 11, 2020 1:04 AM

Wasn't the Allstate guy Carrie's fuckbuddy in one or two episodes?

by Anonymousreply 188September 11, 2020 1:08 AM

Two words: Kyle MacLachlan.

Handsome, successful WASP physician who was also wealthy and from an excellent background.

Charlotte was an ass letting him slip through her fingers, and look what she ended up with; a squat not very attractive Jew and he still couldn't give her the children she wanted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189September 11, 2020 1:11 AM

R161 I always thought the prom scene should have been the end of the series.

The episodes with Mikhail Baryshnikov were like a completely different show and should have never been produced.

by Anonymousreply 190September 11, 2020 1:22 AM

She adopted and got pregnant/had a child r189

by Anonymousreply 191September 11, 2020 1:22 AM

Season One, IMO, was unwatchable. SJP looked like shit (jacked up teeth, hair, makeup) and the episode with the modelizer is cringe-worthy.

Samantha, like others have noted, was fierce and empowered at first. Then the direction of her character turned her into a sex addict. . Samantha had to hit some hard walls to learn a lesson (screwing Richard when she was with Smith)

by Anonymousreply 192September 11, 2020 1:27 AM

I watched the First Wives Club whole super baked a few years ago and decided that it was the perfect companion piece to SATC, not only because they exist in the same female-centric Giuliani-era Manhattan, but also because I became convinced that Carrie and Shelley the barracuda (also played by SJP in what must have been one of the last of her nineties bimbo roles) were meta depictions of the same woman. Carrie, the quintessential girl about town with the messy love life, was how the woman saw and mythologized herself and Shelley, the tacky, acquisitive skank with the morals of a house cat, was how the world saw and judged her.

by Anonymousreply 193September 11, 2020 1:32 AM

Am glad Carrie got her emotional ass kicked when running into Aiden on street and he's got his new baby in tow. Carrie got a cold slap in the face realizing Aiden truly had moved on and nothing her skank self could do would lure him back.

Aiden was truly a nice guy who deserved much better than Carrie; he had a lucky escape in way things played out. Poor guy would have had the life sucked out of him had he married Carrie. That and the continuous humiliation of her lusting/chasing after "Big".

by Anonymousreply 194September 11, 2020 1:36 AM

I hate Steve Eisenberg’s goofy voice with all my might. He makes any show unwatchable. Not that it’s very good to begin with, but he ruins Chicago Fire with that stupid voice.

by Anonymousreply 195September 11, 2020 1:46 AM

^Eigenberg

by Anonymousreply 196September 11, 2020 1:47 AM

The men of desperate housewives were SO much hotter. Just further proves that DH is far, far better than sex in the city.

by Anonymousreply 197September 11, 2020 1:49 AM

R197 Of course. DH was substance, SATC was (tacky) style. But SATC was able to get away with a lot more. Just imagine how much better DH could have been had it been on HBO.

by Anonymousreply 198September 11, 2020 1:52 AM

DH was boooring.

by Anonymousreply 199September 11, 2020 1:59 AM

It's surprising Miranda's gay co-worker only appeared in one episode.

by Anonymousreply 200September 11, 2020 2:08 AM

Another SATC observation, Carrie as played by Sarah Jessica Parker was a good (perhaps the last?) example of the very 90s “ambiguously Jewish girl” syndrome alongside Elaine from Seinfeld and Rachel from Friends (Monica too, though Courtney Cox is so goyishe that Monica never read as Jewish).

by Anonymousreply 201September 11, 2020 3:19 AM

[quote]Male model Andrea Boccaletti as male model Derek Candace Bushnell loosely based him on her interactions with 90s Calvin Klein male model Michael Bergin

I thought I was watching Joe Dallesandro. Andrea is as good looking as Joe was, his voice sounded a lot like Joe's and his acting was definitely as BAD as Joe's!

by Anonymousreply 202September 11, 2020 3:28 AM

I never understood Big. I think he was the perfect embodiment of that guy you were madly in love/lust with in your 20's who fucked you over too many times to name and it's hard to explain what you thought was so great about him all those years later.

by Anonymousreply 203September 11, 2020 3:36 AM

That sounds like you get him

by Anonymousreply 204September 11, 2020 3:40 AM

Interesting, R201. SJP usually reads as "kind of Jewish" to me (as she is, in real life). But the 4 central women were deprived of any real ethnic identities along with family or socioeconomic backgrounds. I understand the point of "reinventing yourself" in the big city, but it's a less interesting writing choice in the long run. (There's a tantalizing suggestion that Samantha's origins might be a little white-trashy, but nothing was made of it. And Charlotte's WASPness is just a recurring punchline.)

Jewish identity only became an issue with Charlotte and Harry. I wonder if Charlotte would be under greater scrutiny now by younger audiences for blithely accepting Harry's mandate to convert or end the relationship.

by Anonymousreply 205September 11, 2020 3:42 AM

I, too, thought Steve was hot. Until the episode where they showed his nasty skid marks. Then I was over him.

by Anonymousreply 206September 11, 2020 3:49 AM

David Eigenberg is officially "5'7 and a half inches" tall on IMDB. I saw him (in his naked glory) in TAKE ME OUT on Bway back in 2004. His role wasn't major and he was dwarfed--literally--by some other very beautiful men in the cast, also nude. He was fine onstage, regardless.

Apparently, he wrestled in school and then was in the Marines, which explains that build. I have no idea what kind of shape he's in now at 56.

by Anonymousreply 207September 11, 2020 3:56 AM

Since we never learned Big's real name, Steve should have always been referred to as Skidmarks Guy.

by Anonymousreply 208September 11, 2020 4:07 AM

R203

Big was just a nastier version of Ashley Wilkes.... At least Ashley was a gentleman and didn't mess with Scarlet that way; but he still was too much of a wuss to say "hey, I'm just not into you..." Big knew Carrie was pretty much stalking him (what fucking female other than a deranged one with a fixation follows a man to church to spy?), and used her when he had an itch to scratch, then dumped.

Carrie being a stupid bitch was always there when Big wanted a booty call; even sleeping with the guy in the marital bed she shared with his wife at their home. Again only a major skank would do something like that... Typical Carrie she only has a tiny bit of remorse for the emotional (and physical) pain she caused Natasha . Oh did I mention The Skank was seeing Aiden at same time she was carrying on with Big?

That Carrie had any girlfriends at all was always a wonder to me; especially the ever self-righteous Charlotte. There was a reason men were constantly mistaking Carrie for a prostitute, and they weren't far off the mark.

by Anonymousreply 209September 11, 2020 4:17 AM

Big's name is John, R208. It's revealed in the series finale.

by Anonymousreply 210September 11, 2020 4:22 AM

John Preston.

by Anonymousreply 211September 11, 2020 4:30 AM

Y'all making me want to rewatch. It's been well over a decade since I did!

by Anonymousreply 212September 11, 2020 5:10 AM

[Quote] There’s a new attempt, starring Lily Collins as a social media person moved to Paris to show the French how it’s done. It looks obnoxious as hell.

It belongs in the 00s.

[Quote] Am glad Carrie got her emotional ass kicked when running into Aiden on street and he's got his new baby in tow. Carrie got a cold slap in the face realizing Aiden truly had moved on and nothing her skank self could do would lure him back.

And that's how it should have ended but instead they decided to have her kiss him in the second movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213September 11, 2020 5:16 AM

"There are men who hold your hand and men that fuck you."

by Anonymousreply 214September 11, 2020 5:34 AM

Clearly Adien while unwilling to say things to Carrie's face never the less got his own back by bad mouthing his ex behind her back. Which is what Carrie deserved, but she seemed shocked sweet, nice and gentle Aiden was capable of doing such a thing. Think she would have rather he just whacked her upside the head or something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215September 11, 2020 5:36 AM

R213

Clearly SJP had more influence in that movie than should have been allowed. That or person(s) coming from same camp thought Carrie should have a chance to get her own back with Aiden and thus that tender moment with a kiss. That was how Carrie would have liked the chance encounter on street several years prior to have gone... but it didn't.

In some ways Aiden was a glutton for punishment in how character was written. A true NYC or any other straight guy with his main head on straight would have run a mile from Carrie. She wasn't that hot, nor had a particularly endearing personality (everything was me, me, me....", and was a mistress of using people. Why he wanted her in first place was a mystery, but continued to be drawn to her (as in that chance middle east encounter) just doesn't fit. Aiden was a married man by that time with three kids; WTF was he going to tell his wife if she found out? Mr. Upstanding always moralizing about fidelity and love succumbing to the charms of a well known skank.

by Anonymousreply 216September 11, 2020 5:45 AM

Emily in Paris looks unbearable. It will likely tank instantly.

by Anonymousreply 217September 11, 2020 6:07 AM

Only people of a certain chromosome persuasion would even imagine this show had anything to do with real women.

Nada. The Kardashians are salt of the earth compared to these trashy hos.

by Anonymousreply 218September 11, 2020 6:22 AM

I had a crush on David Eisenberg. Didn't think his Steve sounded whiny. And he was just the kind of fit that rocks my world.

by Anonymousreply 219September 11, 2020 6:34 AM

Well, since this thread has developed ates from its topic (the MEN , guys, not SJP) I’ll just say that I enjoyed it until everyone started running into each other in the streets of Manhattan. I lived for 16 years in the same apartment midtown and ran into my neighbor maybe three times, all inside my building.

by Anonymousreply 220September 11, 2020 6:35 AM

When you develop ates, you deviate

by Anonymousreply 221September 11, 2020 6:36 AM

I never saw Carrie Bradshaw as a quasi Jewish character, except for maybe when she does that The Way We Were bit with the curly hair and Big. SJP, I get it, but I never got that “vibe” as you do with Rachel, Elaine, etc. I guess also because it’s based on Candace Bushnell who’s most definitely not Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 222September 11, 2020 6:42 AM

Bushnell is a Mayflower descendant wasp.

by Anonymousreply 223September 11, 2020 6:43 AM

Oh and as of next Monday MTA will start issuing fines of $50 to those on trains and buses who aren't wearing masks.

That's all I've got for latest updates in NYC covid-related news.

You're welcome.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224September 11, 2020 6:53 AM

What about us?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225September 11, 2020 6:55 AM

I've always liked Sam Robards, who Samantha fucks on the sex swing. And the fireman.

I've always wondered who played "Sebastian Wise" , the guy who fucks Samantha while the bed is rolling across the room in the Frenemies episode.

by Anonymousreply 226September 11, 2020 7:18 AM

I thought she came off as Jewish because she was a spoiled entitled pushy girl who tried too hard to be peppy and quirky.

by Anonymousreply 227September 11, 2020 7:24 AM

How many shows prior to Sex And The City had a main female character who was deeply flawed and frequently unsympathetic?

Jackie Payton, Valerie Cherish, Piper Chapman, Rachel Berry, Carrie Mathison, and that Lela Durham woman followed Carrie Bradshaw but how many were there before?

by Anonymousreply 228September 11, 2020 7:39 AM

R220: the "chance encounters in Manhattan" bit shows the influence of Woody Allen.

by Anonymousreply 229September 11, 2020 7:47 AM

R189, two words: Bunny MacDougal.

by Anonymousreply 230September 11, 2020 7:59 AM

R227 alllll girls who work in fashun and all those transplants who come to New York because of this fucking show, the ones we all bitch about here, are all materialistic as fuck no matter if they’re Jewish, WASP, or anything else. It’s not like Carrie had any Long Island kind of vibe so I never “read” her materialism and obsession with labels in that way.

by Anonymousreply 231September 11, 2020 8:02 AM

[quote]Two words: Kyle MacLachlan. Handsome, successful WASP physician who was also wealthy and from an excellent background. Charlotte was an ass letting him slip through her fingers, and look what she ended up with; a squat not very attractive Jew and he still couldn't give her the children she wanted.

Harry did give Charlotte a child (the one she went into labour with after telling Big "I curse the day you were born") but more importantly she got buckets loads of orgasms from him, something Trey couldn't give her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232September 11, 2020 8:07 AM

I never bought that they cured Trey's impotence that quickly, if at all.

by Anonymousreply 233September 11, 2020 8:55 AM

A young Will Arnett as the freaky deaky that loves being caught. Always had that forehead, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234September 11, 2020 9:48 AM

Clark Gregg! Who gives a fuck he wasn’t a doctor and actually worked retail? He was gorgeous. I would have made him a fuck buddy for life!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235September 11, 2020 12:13 PM

Carrie was at her most unlikeable in the Atlantic Titty episode. She was a cunt to the other girls the entire trip, trying to stop Miranda’s gambling and the worst was when she shoved Charlotte out of the tram.

by Anonymousreply 236September 11, 2020 12:34 PM

SJP was always the DUFF (designated ugly funny friend) but after she became exec producer of SatC, all her fantasies came true. She got all the hot guys running after her and gave all the bad storylines, clothes and hair to the others. By the end, she was so starlet-y, she was unbearable. The idea of anyone preferring her to Kim or Kristen, except to drunkenly fuck, is risible.

by Anonymousreply 237September 11, 2020 12:41 PM

It irritated me that in the movie Big won her back by having some intern type up the greatest love letters of history and periodically emailing them to Carrie

by Anonymousreply 238September 11, 2020 12:56 PM

Have we covered Carrie giving Charlotte shit for not lending her money?? That episode is infuriating to watch.

by Anonymousreply 239September 11, 2020 1:19 PM

It was a silly show designed for woman and their need to feel 'fabulous'. Outrageously expensive clothing, glamorous gallery and restaurant openings along with attractive but flawed men were just plot devices to further the narrative.

by Anonymousreply 240September 11, 2020 1:27 PM

R142 lol yes, why did SJP never bare her boobs? Samantha says she had 2 abortions in the past, Carrie had one.

R149 Harry broke up with Charlotte because she basically screamed that he was so lucky to have her and that people laugh when they see them together. The nicest moment was her begging for his forgiveness at the Jewish singles mixer. Plus the fact she didn't just drop being Jewish after Harry ditched her.

R182 those are my favourites too!

The hunk I loved was the naked guy fucking Samantha in the episode she throws water over the tranny hookers. Lovely ass.

by Anonymousreply 241September 11, 2020 1:33 PM

R233

Trey's little problem was eventually dealt with, but that marriage had far more deeper issues.

Remember it was Charlotte who pretty much dragooned Trey into marriage by proposing to him; this after they hadn't been dating very long.

Once Trey and his Jack Thomas were up and running Charlotte basically decided *she* wanted to start a family *now*. Trey went along for a bit even putting up with fertility treatments. But in end he was getting fed up. Charlotte was a demanding, selfish harpie who had this set pattern for her life that ran according to her schedule.

Marry an attractive, well off and socially connected man. Check

Have a child by same . Check

Thing is Charlotte tried to bulldoze Trey into parenthood same way she did into marriage. Trey even breaks down at one point when Charlotte is telling him to give her fertility treatment shots saying "it shouldn't be this hard, if we're meant to have children it will happen..." or words to that effect. When it becomes clear Charlotte won't breed of her good looking WASP husband, she goes to Plan B; pushing him into adopting some foreign baby.

Meanwhile like many outsiders who marry into WASP families Charlotte is totally oblivious to the MacDougal family dynamics, in particular the relationship between Trey and his mother (which could explain volumes why he was in no rush to be a father). When Charlotte does connect the dots her reaction is to start laying down laws telling Trey their marriage won't be anything like his family and then their child won't be brought up like Bunny MacDougal did her children. Charlotte's reaction to Trey telling her his mother would come into the bathroom while he bathed (drink in hand no doubt), and discuss events of the day was priceless.

So no, it wasn't any wonder Charlotte wasn't getting all she wanted out of her first marriage. There was precious little for Trey to be a man about, Charlotte called all the shots in trying to create her own perfect upper class wife, mother, society matron life.

Even when she first meets the Jewish guy she tries to out Jew him by telling him what to do on High Holy days. Charlotte at that point had been "Jewish" for barely weeks, with the man had been one since birth. In the end even the Jew bolted from Charlotte until she got herself together and came down a bit off her high horse.

by Anonymousreply 242September 11, 2020 1:35 PM

Charlotte was as much of a WASP as Trey.

by Anonymousreply 243September 11, 2020 1:39 PM

R239

Again Carrie was all about me, me, me and me!

WTF, just because Charlotte had "some" money and lived on Park Avenue (in an apartment she got in divorce settlement) doesn't mean she had to cater to every mooching friend who walked up to her front door.

I would have told Carrie to go and do what she does best; whore her tired skank behind around to make that money. Or better yet go and hit up Big who was cause of Aiden calling off wedding plans and wanting his money out of that apartment.

by Anonymousreply 244September 11, 2020 1:40 PM

I never got the sense Charlotte came from a super wealthy WASP family like Trey did.

Samantha once said in the 13yo girls episode that at their age she was selling ice creams at Dairy Queen to make money and in another episode she wouldn't be like her mother, stuck with three kids and a drunk husband.

I always thought Carrie read like she came from a lower middle class family, same with Miranda.

by Anonymousreply 245September 11, 2020 1:44 PM

I too never noticed u til I grew up that Carrie was a horrible person but she does get criticised too much for the deposit money episode.

She refuses both Samantha and Miranda when they offer money but she takes her anger out on Charlotte because she turns away and ignores her when the other two are concerned Carrie may lose her home. She even says she wouldn't have accepted if Charlotte offered her money, she just wanted her to be there for her, not turning away

by Anonymousreply 246September 11, 2020 1:49 PM

Yes r241, that’s what I said albeit with more brevity.

by Anonymousreply 247September 11, 2020 1:52 PM

If the writers had added just one line about Carrie repaying Charlotte, either when she got her book deal (for those shitty columns) or when she infeasibly got a €25k royalty cheque, this would have added some growth to an otherwise irresponsible and selfish character.

by Anonymousreply 248September 11, 2020 2:10 PM

R246

Charlotte tells Carrie (in response to her begging cup request) that her poverty or money problems aren't her fault, or words to that affect, and she's correct.

Carrie was forever blowing money on shoes and shit she didn't need (nor could really afford), and in general not taking her career and life as a grown ass adult woman seriously. When Charlotte calls her out on this and about Carrie not working as much as she ought (or something), Carrie goes on about she just got something from a magazine that is going to pay her a bit over per word than usual. Big deal!

Carrie totally keeps glossing over fact that she is in the money situation is because having screwed over Aiden (who she got to pony up his money for their apartment as soon to be husband and wife), now rightfully wants what is his back. Even Miranda tells Carrie she doesn't have a leg to stand on legally and shouldn't have done that deal anyway.

Carrie was too old to be acting like some 21 year old who just got her first job in Manhattan. The women around her are moving on and up in their own way, but Carrie is still the mooching friend living above her head chasing a man she shouldn't.

by Anonymousreply 249September 11, 2020 2:29 PM

I do think in that episode she does realise its her own fault. It would have been good to see her a bit more responsible in future episodes but as mentioned, when she gets that royalty check she takes Berger to some high end store to "splurge"

by Anonymousreply 250September 11, 2020 2:33 PM

They should have bounced Carrier out of her apartment. That was a missed opportunity to force some character growth but it would run counter to SJP glamed up vision of SATC.

by Anonymousreply 251September 11, 2020 3:14 PM

She could have become a waitress in New Jersey and saved her tips for a weekly dinner and drinks with the "Manhattan girls".

by Anonymousreply 252September 11, 2020 3:21 PM

[quote]The hunk I loved was the naked guy fucking Samantha in the episode she throws water over the tranny hookers. Lovely ass.

That was Josh Hartnett's brother Jack, sadly a Trump enthusiast.

by Anonymousreply 253September 11, 2020 3:23 PM

[quote]Two words: Kyle MacLachlan.

Two other words: Bad actor.

by Anonymousreply 254September 11, 2020 4:04 PM

She had a hard time understanding him, but she understood he was hard.

by Anonymousreply 255September 11, 2020 4:06 PM

I wonder which set Kyle preferred? SATC or DH?

by Anonymousreply 256September 11, 2020 4:07 PM

Samantha picking Ted King up in a cab is perhaps the biggest instance where she was really a gay man masquerading as a woman.

by Anonymousreply 257September 11, 2020 4:09 PM

I don't really see how the Samantha character worsened as the series went on? She was just put in more embarrassing situations.

by Anonymousreply 258September 11, 2020 4:13 PM

Do women really need a second pair of hands to removed a misplaced diaphragm? Sounded like a ploy for Carrie to get the girls to find out she'd got the stick out of her ass and a cock in her cooch!

by Anonymousreply 259September 11, 2020 4:18 PM

For the development of this thread, we can conclude, men in SATC were attractive, but not that interesting.

by Anonymousreply 260September 11, 2020 4:19 PM

For the development of this thread, we can conclude, men in SATC were attractive, but not that interesting.

by Anonymousreply 261September 11, 2020 4:19 PM

Was it really in character for Miranda to get totally drunk and blow her chance with the hot Detective?

by Anonymousreply 262September 11, 2020 4:21 PM

R72 Add to the Broadway actors: Daniel McDonald ( Mama Mia, High Society, and Tony nominee for Kander and Ebb's Steel Pier.) His character on Sex and the City dated Miranda.

by Anonymousreply 263September 11, 2020 4:25 PM

I linked an article about Daniel McDonald at r134. His widow was not too happy with Jennifer Aniston.

by Anonymousreply 264September 11, 2020 4:27 PM

R263 I know him as the sexy but thuggish stepson of Jean Simmons in Murder, She Wrote!

by Anonymousreply 265September 11, 2020 4:30 PM

Are we forgetting, or did I miss mention of, that hot Frenchman Carrie meets through her Eurotrash high end hooker and international party girl friend Amalita Amalfi who also thinks Carrie is a hooker? He was very attractive.

by Anonymousreply 266September 11, 2020 5:34 PM

R237 but that’s the thing — in real life SJP WAS the butterface who (somewhat inexplicably) got all the hot men. So....perfect casting.

by Anonymousreply 267September 11, 2020 5:37 PM

That article about Kim Cattrall and her costars was interesting. I was surprised at how explicit the sex scenes were. On of her costars says the cup coving his dick slid into Kim's pussy and she said, "I don't mind."

One of her costars said after he was cast he still needed approval from Kim, who stuck her head in the door and said, "I'd fuck him!"

Can you imagine if that were reversed and it was an older male star giving approval to a young unknown girl by saying, "I'd fuck her!"?

by Anonymousreply 268September 11, 2020 5:40 PM

[quote]in real life SJP WAS the butterface who (somewhat inexplicably) got all the hot men. So....perfect casting.

Not so inexplicable: SJP was a celebrity. And celebrities get hot dick all the time.

by Anonymousreply 269September 11, 2020 5:42 PM

[quote]Can you imagine if that were reversed and it was an older male star giving approval to a young unknown girl by saying, "I'd fuck her!"?

Yes. Yesterday, today, and everyday in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 270September 11, 2020 5:47 PM

R270 yes, but one is considered “wrong,” the other is considered “you go gurl” “female empowerment.”

There’s not the same issue of power imbalance, obviously, I get it.

by Anonymousreply 271September 11, 2020 5:51 PM

Then there was the guy Samantha sat next to in a bar. He was a hot shot lawyer or finance guy and they hit it off, except when he stood up to leave, he was only about 5’2”. I forget exactly what she said, something like “you’re short!” and he said, “and you’re a slut” and they walked off arm in arm.

by Anonymousreply 272September 11, 2020 5:52 PM

R270 I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I'm just saying the story isn't seen as "cute" and "fun" when the roles are reversed.

by Anonymousreply 273September 11, 2020 5:54 PM

Charlotte grew up in Conn. and had her own horse and did show jumping. That takes real $$$. She went to Smith, an expensive private girls' college.

by Anonymousreply 274September 11, 2020 6:04 PM

And I was a "teen model" at the Ralph Lauren store!

by Anonymousreply 275September 11, 2020 6:09 PM

I always felt like Samantha was the only one who grew up working class in somewhere like Scranton or Buffalo.

by Anonymousreply 276September 11, 2020 6:38 PM

[quote] Charlotte's ugly bald husband who demanded that she convert to Judaism and then acted overburdened when she tried to be a hood jew. That whole storyline was so messed up

That’s very realistic, r8

by Anonymousreply 277September 11, 2020 6:41 PM

[quote]She was just put in more embarrassing situations.

Tell me about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278September 11, 2020 6:43 PM

Inspired by this thread, I'm in the midst of rewatching the first season of Sex and the City. I've watched all the other seasons a few times, but have never before rewatched Season 1 because I remember it as being so terrible.

But, rewatching, it ain't that bad! Other than Skipper and all that stupid breaking the 4th wall nonsense, it's a pretty good rookie season.

by Anonymousreply 279September 11, 2020 6:49 PM

R272 it was quite witty

Samantha: You shop at the Boy's Department.

Jeff: So what? The clothes fit me better, plus they're cheaper. Where do you shop, the Big and Tall Horse Store?

Samantha: Hmmhmm. You know, you're nothing but a big dick with a little man attached.

Jeff: You're nothing but a big pair of tits with too much extra leg room.

Samantha: (Bursts into laughter)

by Anonymousreply 280September 11, 2020 6:50 PM

It wasn't the horse store, it was the whore's store, dummy.

by Anonymousreply 281September 11, 2020 6:52 PM

R281 I thought he said whore too, I just copied that off a website.

by Anonymousreply 282September 11, 2020 6:54 PM

The short guy Samantha dated was actually perfect for her.

by Anonymousreply 283September 11, 2020 7:18 PM

Kim Cattrall made that show.

by Anonymousreply 284September 11, 2020 7:27 PM

Cynthia Nixon worked with Tatum O'Neal before in "Little Darlings"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285September 11, 2020 7:27 PM

[quote]I always felt like Samantha was the only one who grew up working class in somewhere like Scranton or Buffalo.

I can't believe I remember this, but Samantha mentioned that she worked at a Dairy Queen when she was in high school, so I guess you could surmise that she grew up working class.

by Anonymousreply 286September 11, 2020 7:28 PM

At the Denver Comic Con I walked past Jason Lewis's table and there wasn't a single person in line. Very sad.

by Anonymousreply 287September 11, 2020 7:32 PM

The first time I ever saw Cynthia Nixon in anything was Amadeus. And I only noticed her because she was AWFUL.

She sounded so modern American.

by Anonymousreply 288September 11, 2020 7:33 PM

R279, I really like the first season when they're establishing everything and it's a little rougher and grainier and they're out so much in the city (per the name).

by Anonymousreply 289September 11, 2020 7:42 PM

It wasn't that Carrie made Charlotte lend her the money, it was that she guilted her into selling her wedding ring to finance it by suggesting there was something wrong with Charlotte for not letting it go after the divorce.

That is some real A-class cunty shit right there.

by Anonymousreply 290September 11, 2020 7:43 PM

And Charlotte was doing a good job of reading Carrie for filth - basically "it's not my job to fix your financial problems." I have no idea why she had the change of heart. I guess when Carrie confronted her about offering the money, it had nothing to do with the ring; that was secondary. So, I get the feeling Charlotte would not have given her money that wasn't from the sale of the ring. Even so, it was ridiculous. Wonder if Carrie paid her back. Could have done it in a lump payment once she married Big.

by Anonymousreply 291September 11, 2020 7:51 PM

Did Charlotte even get money from the divorce or just the apartment? I assume she must come from some money cause the bitch never worked another day of her life and somehow could manage the taxes and service fees from that apartment. until she married Harry. Her first marriage felt really rushed. I don't understand why she couldn't wait a couple of years to let them work their crap out.

by Anonymousreply 292September 11, 2020 7:56 PM

Jason Lewis was terrible in Brothers and Sisters!

by Anonymousreply 293September 11, 2020 7:57 PM

Jason Lewis looks like David Muir’s boyfriend!

by Anonymousreply 294September 11, 2020 8:00 PM

Since there is a scene with Charlotte spending the afternoon at home wearing her ring walking around by herself, she may have realized that's all she would ever do with it. She would never wear it out anywhere.

Also it gives her a lifetime of friendship leverage where she won't always be outnumbered and Carrie will feel obligated to take her side, give her gifts and indulge all her girly girl fantasies.

by Anonymousreply 295September 11, 2020 8:19 PM

[quote] Are we forgetting, or did I miss mention of, that hot Frenchman Carrie meets through her Eurotrash high end hooker and international party girl friend Amalita Amalfi who also thinks Carrie is a hooker? He was very attractive.

That was former soap hunk Ed Fry (AW and ATWT). I lusted after him as Bay City Detective Adam Cory.

by Anonymousreply 296September 11, 2020 8:28 PM

As I said, there was no mention of Carrie paying the money back, but a clever writer who wanted to show some character development would have added at least one line about it after Carrie came into her book money.

The episode does show Carrie taking some control. by getting a second job but just 2 episodes later she's back to buying €500 shoes for Big's last night in NYC, the Ginger's water broke on them. if I was Charlotte I would have pissed on them.

And I very much doubt you could leverage any amount of loaned money for Carrie's undivided attention. Just the next season Carrie treated her like shit on their Atlantic City trip. On Charlotte's birthday.

by Anonymousreply 297September 11, 2020 9:02 PM

SJP and Nixon worked together as kids alongside Vanessa Redgrave in Life My Child, where Redgrave plays a sexually active 40something Catholic who becomes unwell and is prescribed certain medication only for it to be revealed that she is actually pregnant and the medication has left her unborn baby hideously deformed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298September 11, 2020 9:11 PM

Cattrall should have won at least 3 Emmys for the show

by Anonymousreply 299September 11, 2020 9:32 PM

BTW please can nobody spoil the end of My Body My Child. I am yet to find out whether Vanessa Redgrave has an abortion or not.

by Anonymousreply 300September 11, 2020 9:36 PM

[quote]where Redgrave plays a sexually active 40something Catholic who becomes unwell and is prescribed certain medication only for it to be revealed that she is actually pregnant and the medication has left her unborn baby hideously deformed.

Was it a musical?

by Anonymousreply 301September 11, 2020 9:37 PM

R300 grow a brain. The deformed baby obviously grows up to be either SJP or Nixon

by Anonymousreply 302September 11, 2020 9:46 PM

Don't you dare insult Cynthia Nixon or Miranda! Miranda was the toughest one of the bunch and the only one who consistently and quietly worked her ass off, then did so with a baby, a manbaby and a bossy nanny in tow, only to be ridiculed and criticized for it by Carrie Bitch.

by Anonymousreply 303September 11, 2020 10:09 PM

Bushnell is a WASP on her father's side, Italian (what a scandal that must have been) on Her mother's. The Bushnells are an old Hartford family--I'm guessing she grew-up comfortable, but not rich. She lived in Glastonbury, a nicer than average suburb of Hartford. We get less of Carrie's backstory than the others, but my guess is that it's a mix of Bushnell (Big--in the beginning, writer) and SJP (father left the family). Bushnell married a ballet dancer and perhaps that inspired the arc with Baryshnikov, even if they didn't cast him as a dancer. The thing with Big was both inevitable and tedious for his obvious toxicity. Aiden was too nice to be true. Berger made no sense as a character unless he was a trust fund baby. Her one night stands were more interesting than her long term relationships and she obviously had no chemistry with Baryshnikov. It's odd that she wound up with someone who sort of fit her, whereas the other three wound up with "opposites".

Miranda was from Philly money (remember her mother's funeral). Working at the Dairy Queen isn't necessarily working class, but Samantha probably doesn't have the high brow background of Miranda and Charlotte. Her friendship with Charlotte and even Miranda is a bit inexplicable and the falling apart of the "girls" was a missed opportunity of the Baryshnikov arc. Kyle MacLahlan was great as Trey and Frances Sternhagen stole every scene she was in.

by Anonymousreply 304September 11, 2020 10:18 PM

The obsession with class on this website is astounding.

by Anonymousreply 305September 11, 2020 10:22 PM

I'm with R303. In what universe would an ambitious woman working her ass off to make a partner in her law firm have time for endless high school cafeteria talk about boys and trivial problems of the three barely-employed friends?

by Anonymousreply 306September 11, 2020 10:29 PM

I thought the Amalita Amalfi guest character was genius and the actress deserves a lot of credit for making it so good - ridiculous of course, but in the best possible way. The accent his hilarious and underscores everything she says perfectly "he has a TYN-ee little penis." Lol.

by Anonymousreply 307September 11, 2020 10:34 PM

"I'm with [R303]. In what universe would an ambitious woman working her ass off to make a partner in her law firm have time for endless high school cafeteria talk about boys and trivial problems of the three barely-employed friends? "

I think the only reason they even focused that much on Miranda's work life was so that once she broke up with Steve after they got the puppy, there could be the voice over line " ..., so Miranda lost a partner, and the next day gained 10 partners" or something like that. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 308September 11, 2020 10:38 PM

I think it was the first episode of the second season Miranda was trying to make intelligent conversation and the others kept talking about boys. She got up and walked out.

I thought Miranda was more working class background and she used her brains to get to Harvard.

by Anonymousreply 309September 11, 2020 10:49 PM

I never really thought Miranda was working class just "plain" middle class - like "middle middle" - not "upper middle." She was from suburban Philly? Though that doesn't say much unless we know the specific place.

by Anonymousreply 310September 11, 2020 10:52 PM

[quote]Bushnell is a WASP on her father's side, Italian (what a scandal that must have been) on Her mother's.

I'm also half WASP half Italian from the Hartford area and neither side of my family cared when my parents got married. Of course, I'm nearly 20 years younger than Bushnell so back in those days maybe it was a big deal.

by Anonymousreply 311September 12, 2020 12:02 AM

I liked the one of Carrie meeting a young guy and she went to his apartment, actually his mother's and they smoked dope. His mother walked in and he pointed at Carrie and said it's her's. Carrie said something like that's right and I'm taking it with me.

by Anonymousreply 312September 12, 2020 12:46 AM

The show is quite dated now, but it's become an interesting time capsule.

by Anonymousreply 313September 12, 2020 12:47 AM

For those interested, Justin Theroux actually played three characters during the show. First as the waiter at the table where Carrie meets her "eurotrash" friend Amalita, then as a guy Stanford introduces her to (she nearly picks him up as revenge for a fight with Big, but decides to meet with Big instead), and then as the premature ejaculator.

This show was kinda important to me and my friends as teenagers, we really loved it, went to the movies and a tour in New York and everything. Then a year ago, I put on an episode, then watched a couple more and realised: "this is a BAD show". So, I agree with others that it is very much of its moment, and has aged badly. Carrie is the worst sex columnist - half the time she is more prudish than Charlotte!

It's interesting because in the earlier seasons Carrie is a proper character. She's pretty rough around the edges, does some morally questionable stuff, but is more interesting arguably. As the show went on, she just came across as simply Sarah Jessica Parker. She was a "wacky", I-may-fuck-up-but-don't-you-just-love-me? type (and "no I'm not a sex columnist! I write about loooooooove!" retconning) and the show just couldn't pull it together. By the Atlantic City episode above, it was like the show was trying to force us to love her by creating an episode where Carrie is "let down" by all her friends on a girls' weekend, because Carrie is all about her friends! Except, we've by then had 4 seasons of Carrie being a selfish bitch, and the audience knows full well that at the first sight of a man, Carrie would dump them all anyway. I mean only a few episodes before she was whinging about being alone on her 35th birthday with no man, and pretty much rolls her eyes when the rest of her friends tell her they are all willing to be there for each other with or without men.

by Anonymousreply 314September 12, 2020 2:15 AM

SATC Broadway connection!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315September 12, 2020 2:18 AM

Carrie's treatment of Standford is pretty piss-poor. In one episode she invites everyone to meet her new boyfriend the next night, and then turns to him and tells him it's just the girls invited, not him. Couldn't she just have asked the others when he wasn't around?

by Anonymousreply 316September 12, 2020 2:18 AM

All 107 men of SATC

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317September 12, 2020 2:19 AM

Did Carrie slut-shame Samantha for blowing the delivery guy before or after Natasha caught Carried in her apartment after fucking her husband?

by Anonymousreply 318September 12, 2020 2:24 AM

What about Kevin (David Lansbury), the rageoholic fellow lawyer Miranda dated briefly and who gave her chlamydia?

by Anonymousreply 319September 12, 2020 2:25 AM

R292

IIRC bulk of Charlotte's divorce settlement was that Park avenue apartment. It had been in the MacDougal family for years and Bunny MacDougal fought a fierce battle, but Trey threw all that effort under a bus. She obviously got some money, because otherwise Charlotte never would have been able to afford keeping that place.

As for the Jewish divorce lawyer, Charlotte did same thing to him as Trey, instantly deciding upon a program of change to make him more worthy of her stuck up self.

It was Charlotte who had fertility problems, not Trey nor her second husband. At end of series Charlotte and second husband adopted that Chinese infant, and that was how series ended. However when movie was done lo and behold Charlotte finally does get pregnant

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320September 12, 2020 2:32 AM

[quote]She obviously got some money, because otherwise Charlotte never would have been able to afford keeping that place.

Wasn’t there an episode where Trey gave Charlotte a prenup and she negotiated for more money?

by Anonymousreply 321September 12, 2020 2:36 AM

R321

Trey MacDougal initially presented Charlotte with a pre-nup that gave her a flat $500k in case of divorce. He told her it was the "standard sum" in his family IIRC. Of course when "the girls" hear about this they are shocked and then tell her to haggle Trey up, which Charlotte eventually does getting Trey and his family to increase amount to one million.

by Anonymousreply 322September 12, 2020 2:43 AM

R322 Not that I’d turn it down, but a million doesn’t go all that far in New York. Especially with a lifestyle like Charlotte’s.

by Anonymousreply 323September 12, 2020 2:47 AM

More on Trey, Charlotte and pre-nup....

As common in many cases Charlotte's pre=nup put her on vested schedule. The longer she remained married, more she would receive in case of divorce. The one million sum was supposed to only pay out if marriage ended after at least 20 years. with Charlotte receiving substantially less if that event occurs before that time.

Bunny MacDougal largely handles Charlotte's haggling for more money (after her friends convince her to do so), claiming she is worth at least 2 million (again after twenty years). Don't think we ever know final amount Trey MacDougal forks over to Charlotte in addition to that apartment.

by Anonymousreply 324September 12, 2020 2:50 AM

The "modelizer" was her friend Barkley (the dude from Suits), not a hookup or date for Carrie. He ends up fucking Samantha.

What about the guy where Carrie turned out to be the "freak" because she was so convinced that all men are freaks that she went through his stuff when he wasn't home and he walked in on her. That same episode, Miranda dates "city guy" who only likes the city and trashes everything outside of NYC.

Did anyone mention "Catholic Guy" - who had to wash after sex?

by Anonymousreply 325September 12, 2020 2:50 AM

Also, if Charlotte had any boy children she would have gotten a sum on top of the prenup. Girls got nothing causing Charlotte some dismay.

by Anonymousreply 326September 12, 2020 2:54 AM

R323

A million dollars is a considerable sum, but it would have to be handled carefully if to last Charlotte her life, especially in case she never remarried.

Maintenance on an UES Park avenue building easily would reach $10k per month. Then would be all other living and so forth expenses, especially if Charlotte didn't go back to work.

In best situations one always lives off interest, not touching capital. Even considering fact Charlotte did marry the Jewish attorney, between his money and interest on her millions they could afford a very comfortable life on UES Manhattan. This would include standard things like private school for the children, a house in country, etc....

by Anonymousreply 327September 12, 2020 2:55 AM

I love this thread

by Anonymousreply 328September 12, 2020 2:57 AM

R326

It has been that way for ages both in USA, Great Britain and other parts of Europe. Heirs/sons matter usually over girls. Remember in Dynasty we learn Blake Carrington deeded his (then) wife Alexis a home on estate grounds for presenting him with a son as their first child.

Once dated a guy who had seven sisters; his father wouldn't stop until the wife gave him a son. The guy grew up like "Guido" from play Nine; pampered, adored, worshiped by his mother, grandmothers and all those sisters along with girl cousins.

by Anonymousreply 329September 12, 2020 3:00 AM

Carrie's lifestyle didn't reflect her income, so why should Charlotte's?

by Anonymousreply 330September 12, 2020 3:00 AM

[quote] Did anyone mention "Catholic Guy" - who had to wash after sex?

Wasn't that John Benjamin Hickey, the real life asshole extraordinaire?

by Anonymousreply 331September 12, 2020 3:01 AM

I think so, R331.

It never mattered to me that they in theory couldn't afford their lifestyles. It's a sitcom, not a documentary. It was funny when Carrie had to briefly look for new apartments and the agent had enough of her.

by Anonymousreply 332September 12, 2020 3:03 AM

Charlotte's income/lifestyle was far more believable than Carrie's. At least to those of us used to certain circles in NYC, Paris, etc...

Plenty of daughters from "good" and well off families end up as docents, interns, and otherwise working in art galleries, museums, auction houses, etc... These jobs don't pay well if at all but these girls live in Manhattan (UES, Tribeca, Greenwich Village, etc...) in their own apartments and you wonder how they manage.... Bank of Daddy or the Family, that's how. Princess Eugenie of York worked in an art gallery here in NYC after college, and then moved onto London.

In fact plenty of gays are same; they are at Sotheby's, and other places but live on UES or whatever in their own apartments, and you know they never can afford rent or other costs based upon their income.

This has been driving "BLM" or other equality people crazy for decades. They want to see more POC in art galleries, auction houses, etc.. but those jobs always seem to go to white connected sons and daughters of well off families. Again these jobs don't pay very well and there is now way anyone could claim they earn anywhere near a living wage. But if one's parents, a trust fund or whatever is picking up the slack....

After her divorce Charlotte was set as it is more than sure Trey MacDougal was very generous; the man sent a telegram to his mother basically telling her to draw in claws and give Charlotte what she wanted.

Often with middle-class and even some upper divorces a husband will "give" his wife the house knowing full well she cannot keep it up. Thus her only option would be to sell and hopefully have enough after all is said and done to live upon. The other option would be for court to order sale of property period, then proceeds split.

Long story short Charlotte came from some money, and wasn't totally ignorant of finances as Carrie. Yes, there was no way Carrie could have lived in that West Village apartment unless she nabbed it as a rent regulated unit with a very below market rent. When building went co-op she got Aiden to buy the place (because she didn't have money), but we've been down that path.

Rest of Carrie's lifestyle likely was funded same as many females do now in NYC, credit cards....

by Anonymousreply 333September 12, 2020 3:15 AM

Carrie actually lived in Yorkville, on E. 73rd St. She'd been in that apartment for years before the start of the series, and if it was rent controlled it wouldn't have been all that expensive by NY standards. Yorkville was relatively cheap for Manhattan back in the late 80s when Carrie presumably moved into that apartment.

by Anonymousreply 334September 12, 2020 3:19 AM

Carrie's apartment ins Season 1 was a dump, and probably far more realistic.

by Anonymousreply 335September 12, 2020 3:21 AM

R316

Sanford is the type of non threatening gay guy that would tolerate a "friendship" with Carrie.

OTOH an attractive or even hot gay guy, who also was successful or at least not poor like Carrie would have told her to fuck off long ago.

by Anonymousreply 336September 12, 2020 3:28 AM

Remember when Carrie made friends with the attractive Australian gay guy, and then threw a strop in the nightclub because he wasn't paying 100% attention to her? I think another guy came up and chatted to him for five seconds, which was enough for Carrie to completely flip out.

by Anonymousreply 337September 12, 2020 3:40 AM

R318, it was after. Carrie's affair with Big was season 3, Samantha blowing the World Wide Express guy was season 5.

by Anonymousreply 338September 12, 2020 3:44 AM

R337

That actor would be Australian born Murray Bartlett; but he played a shoe importer named Oliver Spencer IIRC.

Because it is what straight girls do nowadays the episode was "All That Glitters" and girls go out to a gay dance club called "Trade".

Carrie meets Oliver Spencer (which annoys Sanford).

Samantha gets all hot and bothered by all the hot, sweaty, attractive and muscular gay men (along with booze and XTC), that she runs to Richard and bones him to death even saying that she loves him, but he doesn't say the words back.

Charlotte meets some other handsome gay guy who introduces her to his lover who works at House Beautiful. The lover suggests doing a spread on Charlotte and Trey's apartment which sends her over the moon. Later when informed Trey is less than enthusiastic, and project fades, further causing Charlotte to pull away from her husband.

Miranda sees a co-worker at Trade who next day is going to light things up at her law office about her being pregnant; that is until Miranda spills his tea saying she saw the closeted attorney at Trade night before. Mutual hostilities are then toned down....

Hated that GD episode of SATC because it promoted if not outright began the trend of straight women and girls invading gay bars and clubs in packs. Taking over as if they owned the place... One or two females (usually fag hags) aren't that bad, besides they usually are cover for hot questioning guys who otherwise might not summon courage to go into a gay bar/club on their own. But a gaggle of cackling females invading a male only space is more than can be endured. They just change total nature of the place...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339September 12, 2020 4:07 AM

I watched SATC because of Samatha character. I’m not interested in that phony selfish bitch Carrie

by Anonymousreply 340September 12, 2020 4:07 AM

R313 Well yes, it's dated now. No one is wearing masks. Of course, it it were filmed now, Carrie would have some kind of mask-like decorative things made by Manolo Blanik.

by Anonymousreply 341September 12, 2020 4:10 AM

[quote]Hated that GD episode of SATC because it promoted if not outright began the trend of straight women and girls invading gay bars and clubs in packs. Taking over as if they owned the place..

Absolutely. These basic straight bitches would show up in packs and act like gay guys were exhibits in a zoo. God, we loathed them. And we blamed that episode of SATC for it.

by Anonymousreply 342September 12, 2020 4:15 AM

Oh r341 you're such a card!

by Anonymousreply 343September 12, 2020 4:16 AM

Ben was the guy she freaked out on, played by Ian Kahn. He was hot, the right combination of nerdy and attractive that I go for. I would have called the police if I found that skanky bitch rifling through my stuff, with, if I recall correctly, a stinking cigarette hanging from her lips whilst standing on his bed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344September 12, 2020 4:16 AM

Yeah people bitch about the smoking but among the social set that Carrie moved in at that time, smoking was not uncommon. There was still a fair amount of smoking going on in the late 90s.

by Anonymousreply 345September 12, 2020 4:18 AM

I'm just going to leave this here...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346September 12, 2020 4:19 AM

I wonder if that was the actor's actual ass or a stunt ass. I bet it was a stunt ass.

by Anonymousreply 347September 12, 2020 4:21 AM

The smoking in itself on the show never bothered me R345, it was very normal for the period and the context. But the fact she was smoking in his apartment, on his bed, whilst trying to pry open a box of his just maddened me. Carrie was total trash.

by Anonymousreply 348September 12, 2020 4:21 AM

Trump was in that episode. He was a friend of saggy ass.

by Anonymousreply 349September 12, 2020 4:22 AM

[Quote]I wonder if that was the actor's actual ass or a stunt ass. I bet it was a stunt ass.

I'm willing to believe it was SJP's ass.

by Anonymousreply 350September 12, 2020 4:23 AM

R346

Have been thinking about that "old man's ass" episode, but didn't have time to read all posts to see if it was previously mentioned.

Who knew the skanky town bike Samantha had a line she wouldn't cross.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351September 12, 2020 4:23 AM

Carrie was almost as selfish as all 4 main characters of "Seinfeld" rolled into one. Miranda started off very strong but with a grudge against the world, and she started softening and actually looking lovely by the time she was in love with Steve. Charlotte was a spoiled, pretty girl, but could relate to other people and had some sense of reality, unlike Carrie. Samantha was the star of the show (sorry SJP) who made the show palatable for even straight guys who watched because of her sexiness and more Mae Westian (and HBO-allowable) permissiveness, plus she actually seemed to listened to her friends. Carrie listened but you could always tell she related everything back to her and would leave them if a cute guy who she could manipulate came along.

by Anonymousreply 352September 12, 2020 4:27 AM

Ugh, Kim Cattrall is awful on the show and in real life. Seriously!

by Anonymousreply 353September 12, 2020 4:38 AM

R135, I remember when I first saw that episode as a teen and thinking how rude that woman was to Charlotte, because she just wanted to join in and hang around with the lesbians. I think Charlotte goes on a big speech about how wonderful it is to be around lesbians because there is no need to think of men and how it helps her to get away from that kind of thing, blah, blah, and the woman responds: "That's nice, but if you don't eat pussy, you're not a dyke." And then, the last time I saw this episode I realised I understood that much better. Because there are women like Charlotte, who use the gay community more as an escape from their own relationship issues, and are then just as quick to dump their gay friends once they're ready for the next man, so gay people can be a bit wary. Or they use the gay community so they don't have to face up to their own relationship issues, and they end up becoming weirdly proprietary over the community. Like, they can't face going out and being rejected by straight men and dealing with dating and stuff because it brings their own insecurities out, so they hide amongst us. I know one girl who does that, and she gets super possessive and angry if one of "her gays" hooks up when out ("you're leaving me! It's so rude!"), and also thinks she is our spokesperson. At dinner once her sister said something about gay men and she snapped at her: "I think I know more about gay men than anyone else at this table!"

There were 9 of us actual gay men also seated at that very same table. 😂

by Anonymousreply 354September 12, 2020 4:42 AM

R347 - it was a stunt ass. They told us that on the tour we did a few years ago. The actual actor, being an actor, kept himself in really good shape, and apparently had a nice ass, so they had to get someone else in.

by Anonymousreply 355September 12, 2020 4:44 AM

I did a freelance job for a memorial about 5 years ago that was star studded in NYC. SJP was there and I thought she was very striking, beautiful blue eyes, and sexy. Not the dog people make her out to be at all.

by Anonymousreply 356September 12, 2020 4:46 AM

It's horse, not dog.

by Anonymousreply 357September 12, 2020 4:47 AM

Back in the late 90s I was walking around near Union Square and happened upon a SATC shoot at an outdoor patio of a restaurant (can't remember what restaurant it was). The show had not aired yet and I had no idea what they were shooting, it could've been the pilot episode. Of course I recognized SJP and Kim Cattrall. SJP looked really odd in person, very witchy looking and she only would've been in her early 30s at the time. Kim Cattrall looked the same as she does on tv, they really caked the makeup on her. I had no idea who Cynthia Nixon or Kristin Davis were. I pegged Nixon as a lesbian right then and there, she was homely in person. Kristin Davis was RADIANT. The camera does not do her justice. Absolutely beautiful in person.

by Anonymousreply 358September 12, 2020 4:54 AM

That FACE in 2018

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359September 12, 2020 4:56 AM

Re: Kristin Davis being stunning, it always baffled me in that Atlantic City episode how the writers had those two men say: "No, ask the hot one!" meaning Carrie. In what world would SJP be considered "the hot one" when standing next to Kristin?

by Anonymousreply 360September 12, 2020 4:58 AM

Amalita Amalfi, the hooker with a passport, would have been a better choice for Samantha's lesbian girlfriend.

Sonia Braga's performance was way too over-the-top and shrill.

by Anonymousreply 361September 12, 2020 5:07 AM

Who was the guy who kept calling Samantha "Jonesy"?

She wanted a commitment from Richard but ended up screwing this guy in the bathroom and Richard caught them and laughed.

by Anonymousreply 362September 12, 2020 5:07 AM

The jazz guy - Craig Bierko - was only in a couple episodes, but his grating performance makes him a contender for most annoying.

by Anonymousreply 363September 12, 2020 5:09 AM

Charlotte's brother Wesley, from Wesley and Leslie, had an Patrick Warburton/Alec Baldwin appeal.

by Anonymousreply 364September 12, 2020 5:11 AM

I liked Charlotte's Irish doorman that Samantha fucked.

by Anonymousreply 365September 12, 2020 5:45 AM

I haven't rewatched this in ages. But it seems like it didn't age well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366September 12, 2020 5:55 AM

Wasn't Jason Lewis's character supposed to be based on Travis Fimmel. I saw that on another thread.

by Anonymousreply 367September 12, 2020 5:56 AM

R360 stereotypical straight man goes for the body and the hair and hardly even looks at the face.

Not that SJP wouldn’t have made sure she was “the hot one” no matter what, but there are plenty of guys who think that way...

by Anonymousreply 368September 12, 2020 6:11 AM

368 replies and no mention of Timothy Olyphant?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369September 12, 2020 6:16 AM

R365

That would be Brooklyn, NYC's own Karl Geary....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370September 12, 2020 6:34 AM

Not exactly my cup of tea; but De gustibus and all that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371September 12, 2020 6:35 AM

r346 YASS

by Anonymousreply 372September 12, 2020 7:02 AM

Karl Geary was in Madonna's Sex book. What an unappealing look.

And who knew he was married to Lydia Rodarte-Quayle?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373September 12, 2020 7:09 AM

r369 ALUMINUM HANDS!!!

by Anonymousreply 374September 12, 2020 7:28 AM

r349

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375September 12, 2020 7:30 AM

I seem to remember Carrie's apartment was about €700 pm rent controlled. Was it meant to be in the location where the stoop is or another part of the city?

In the Atlantic City episode when Charlotte decides to glam up and wears a sexy dress, is it Carrie who basically tells her she looks like she's turning tricks?

by Anonymousreply 376September 12, 2020 7:52 AM

I seem to remember Carrie's apartment was about €700 pm rent controlled. Was it meant to be in the location where the stoop is or another part of the city?

In the Atlantic City episode when Charlotte decides to glam up and wears a sexy dress, is it Carrie who basically tells her she looks like she's turning tricks?

by Anonymousreply 377September 12, 2020 7:52 AM

[quote] I would have called the police if I found that skanky bitch rifling through my stuff, with, if I recall correctly, a stinking cigarette hanging from her lips whilst standing on his bed.

You just gave me a huge laugh R344 Thanks for that hilarious mental image. He should have jumped onto the bed and trampolined her out the window!

by Anonymousreply 378September 12, 2020 9:13 AM

I loved that scene, R344, and all the others where Carrie looked bad, eg, the magazine cover for Single and Fabulous, her being found by Aiden crouching on the curb, smoking a cigarette she had fished out of the gutter, and her being caught on the balcony with the cater waiter looking at his tattoo, but seeming to look as if she is blowing him.

One of my absolute favourite scenes is where Carrie tries to appease Natasha with an apology whilst insouciantly drinking from her glass, and Natasha treats her with icy scorn...the build-up to Natasha's rejection of Carrie is fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 379September 12, 2020 9:53 AM

It's amazing how poorly this show aged.

by Anonymousreply 380September 12, 2020 10:13 AM

Oh yeah R379, that scene with Natasha was great. Carrie is pulling her "aww shucks" routine, and Natasha isn't having any of it. "Not only did you ruin my marriage, you've also ruined my lunch."

by Anonymousreply 381September 12, 2020 10:18 AM

Natasha was so pretty.

by Anonymousreply 382September 12, 2020 10:44 AM

I've been in Charlotte's position where a close friend tried to make me a co-owner of their financial problems. Their thinking is, if we really are close, I should be able to rely on you for help when I need it and you can provide it, as you could rely on me if you were in trouble. It's a question of boundaries. When I have drawn a line in the sand, the friendship has been lost. That is why rich people choose not to have poor friends unless they are willing to subsidise them financially.

I might help, but not if the needy friend had had other offers of help which s/he rejected, eg, Carrie tearing up Big's cheque.

by Anonymousreply 383September 12, 2020 10:58 AM

Was Carrie secretly going to Big, asking for tips on how to make money quickly, like it's that easy! When in fact she had her begging bowl out?

by Anonymousreply 384September 12, 2020 11:14 AM

[quote] That is why rich people choose not to have poor friends unless they are willing to subsidise them financially.

If you pay them they're an entourage, not friends. Celebrities have entourages who are either hired help (like celeb's personal make-up artist or stylist) or "yes / Oh Blossom, you're so beautiful" support system or "yes, Sir! That bag of pills / drugs is mine!" fall guys.

by Anonymousreply 385September 12, 2020 11:18 AM

How I wish I had been in Charlotte's shoes when Carrie tried to shame her for wearing her diamond ring! I'd have laughed in her face.

by Anonymousreply 386September 12, 2020 11:25 AM

Charlotte's "is he or isn't he?"pastry chef from season 20:

[quote]Charlotte’s boyfriend Stephan opens the definitely not politically correct debate: can a guy who “seems” gay be straight? Stephan himself says yes: “I’m a 35-year-old pastry chef who lives in Chelsea,” he tells Charlotte. “If I were gay, I’d be gay.” Charlotte attests that he seems super straight in bed, and that might be enough for her. But when he flips out over a mouse in his kitchen, she decides she can’t deal with a relationship where neither party has an evolved “masculine side.” Another very yikes SATC moment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 387September 12, 2020 11:45 AM

R93 I always felt Steve probably had his own giant broomstick. There had to be more to him than met the eye.

by Anonymousreply 388September 12, 2020 11:45 AM

r387. Charlotte wanted a man who could provide and do manly tasks while she could play high society princess. That vision didn't include having to deal with rodent problems herself while her knight in shiny armor hides in fear.

by Anonymousreply 389September 12, 2020 11:52 AM

Miranda said the first time they slept together she had multiple orgasms.

Remember when Miranda was exhausted with her newborn baby and getting ready for WORK and Carrie was calling her first thing in the morning to whine about some girl giving her a dirty look?

And going around whining to all her friends about this like they were in high school "Am I the bad breakup girl?" "Is she trashing me to everyone she meets". I would have hung up on her and never spoken to her again.

by Anonymousreply 390September 12, 2020 11:53 AM

I really enjoyed the relationship between Miranda and Samantha. Miranda was always delighted by/curious about Samantha and took her as she was. Found it highly believable and well drawn. Also thought Kim C and Cynthia N very good actors.

Kim also was a very believable friend to Carrie, though didn’t find the reserve to be true, mainly because SJP not as good of an actor. Her personal animus to Kim seemed to create a wall that made the fictional friendship seem ephemeral. However, I didn’t feel that Kim let the off screen tension infiltrate her character...and I looked for it! Also thought friendship between Carrie and Miranda was realistic.

Charlotte might have been friends with these broads for a wild year or so in her twenties, but no way in hell would she have been hanging out with them in her 30s. Although, she was the weakest link in the foursome, she blossomed in the Trey and Harry storylines.

I felt the Miranda-Steve relationship was realistic and believable. Also interesting look at reverse power dynamic in a couple. Also found Carrie-Big dynamic well crafted and surprisingly layered. It was engaging and believable throughout, even with the fairy tale ending.

by Anonymousreply 391September 12, 2020 12:02 PM

Carrie was basically that dog, from one of her other friends, that kept barking and needed some strong alpha male to shut her up. And that's why none of Carrie's lovers were meant to last, because nobody would put up with her constant yapping. Her ending up with Big was a fan service, but it never felt real, because it was obvious that Big got tired a long time ago of her constantly asking for approval for everything. Same thing with her friends. She's constantly going on and on about her life and how she struggles with life and then expects her friends to be all "oh yes, your life is the hardest from us all and while we try to give you well-meaning advice we know you will come up with something even better! Or fail, but don't worry. We are here for you. Always!".

Charlotte was so fixated on following her plan for her future life that she completely dropped the ball on everything including her marriage because things didn't work out as she expected. She simply couldn't adapt quick enough. It took her and Harry to be some time apart that she finally could come around to settle for Harry and that's what it really was. She had such high expectations how her life should turn out that even a decent life with a decent husband was her settling for less.

by Anonymousreply 392September 12, 2020 12:23 PM

I’ve told this story on DL before....

Around the time the show premiered, I was in NYC with friends and stopped at the Cubby Hole (mainly lesbian bar in the Village—I’m a woman). I was single at the time and was there with my BFF who was in relationship but desperate to at least attract the attention of a native New Yorker. (We lived in Chicago and considered NY the height of sophistication.)

Where my BFF tried to fit in with the NYers—wearing black, acting gloomy and cynical—I embraced my Midwest wholesomeness, so I was like a gazelle wandering into a pack of wildebeests. I was absolutely tickled that I attracted so much attention while my arty BFF stewed in the corner. (The reverse was true in Chicago. The gals were always more attracted to my tortured artist friend than me. So this was a fun change!)

Anyway, one of the women who pounced on me was a costume designer for a TV show. My BFF had tried to attract her attention, but the woman was focused on me. She wasn’t my type but I flirted with her just to needle my friend.

This woman told me she worked for a new show starring SJP. I love gossip so I pumped her for details. She told me that it was a show about 4 women navigating single life in NYC...and then told me that two of the women had an affair in real life, it ended badly and there was tension on the set as a result! But that SJP was not one of the women. She said an actress from Porkys was a lead, but not one of the women in the affair either.

My BFF dismissed the gossip as just a ploy that the costume designer was using to get me into bed.

A few years later when Cynthia Nixon came out, I called my friend and said “Remember that gossip that costume designer told me....” So, it must have been Cynthia Nixon and Kristen Davis. Davis has never married (I don’t think).

by Anonymousreply 393September 12, 2020 12:29 PM

Cynthia and Kim are the two best actresses, pity they haven't got a great series or interesting movies.

by Anonymousreply 394September 12, 2020 12:35 PM

R351, thanks for linking to that clip of Samantha and the 72 year old wealthy guy. It was funny the first time the maid rolls her eyes at the jewelry gift but then it was a little odd/sad that this attractive older woman is working for the old rich guy, he’s her age but chasing younger women for companionship. Yes, it’s the way of the world, but it would’ve been just as funny if it had been a male butler rolling his eyes.

The other off note was at the very end, they are all at a bar and Samantha has just finished telling everyone about it. They’re all laughing and Big says, “So did you ever get it on with the old coot?” Everyone laughs hysterically except Samantha. She looks distinctly put out, now they are laughing AT her. And then Carrie has a voiceover as she lays her head adoringly on Big’s shoulder, “And that’s the night we went from being a myth and started becoming real”. Which doesn’t even make sense but Big was being crass (his thing) and Carrie was happy to dump on Samantha so she could bond with Big. The writers inserted these brief jabs when on the surface these were all great friends.

by Anonymousreply 395September 12, 2020 12:37 PM

R391, I always enjoyed the friendship between Miranda and Samantha too and thought Nixon and Cattrall played off each other really well in those moments when they were allowed to. One of the moments I enjoyed like that was after Samantha and Maria broke up and she arrives at Steve and Aiden's opening night with a sore back after using the strap-on on Maria. Carrie is behaving like the self-centred person she was, and tries to control the conversation: "can we not have the strap on talk now?" because the most important thing to her at the moment was that she wanted to get Aiden's attention, not that her supposed best friend's relationship had ended. But while Carrie is trying to shut up the conversation, Miranda is sneaking in questions behind her back: "So, how does the strap on work?" etc. That was cute.

When they were discussing tea-bagging was another nice Miranda/Samantha moment (of course Carrie was put off her food, like any sex columnist would be?), or when Miranda demanded Samantha tell her all about her cancer diagnosis even though it was her wedding.

by Anonymousreply 396September 12, 2020 12:38 PM

R395, I remember that moment at the end too, and it really did strike an odd note (I may be misremembering, but I actually thought in that scene Charlotte also looked put out by Carrie, and more in sympathy with Samantha - Miranda had left to chase after Steve already). All it did really was show exactly the type of woman Carrie was; the type to turn on her friends as soon as she had a man. It's so weird, they actually wrote a realistic type of character - many of us know a self-absorbed, only-a-good-friend-while-single type person. Carrie is well drawn like that... except you get the feeling at the same time that that is not what the show was intending to do, that they wanted Carrie to be lovable.

by Anonymousreply 397September 12, 2020 12:45 PM

R381

Wanted to reach through television screen and slap Carrie silly.

That super skank had the nerve to run Natasha to ground, once finding her invites herself to sit down at luncheon because she needs closure. In true Carrie fashion she is one of the few people on earth who can turn an apology around to being all about themselves.

Hello! Bitch you slept with this woman's husband in their home and marital bed; then caused her to fall down a flight of stairs injuring her mouth. And you fucking want to talk about *YOU*?

Am truly surprised Carrie made it through all those seasons and SATC movies without someone opening a giant can of whoop ass on her behind.

by Anonymousreply 398September 12, 2020 12:53 PM

Can any of the Kim Cattrall fans recommend any other series or movies she's starred in? I'm embarrassed to say I've only ever seen her in SATC.

by Anonymousreply 399September 12, 2020 12:58 PM

Ms. Cattrall has a new television series....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400September 12, 2020 1:03 PM

She had a role in Ghost Writer, a Roman Polanski thriller about a former British PM with Ewan M, Pierce Brosnan. Worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 401September 12, 2020 1:17 PM

r401. Yes, that movie was good. Though the clear stand-out was Olivia Williams seducing Ewan McGregor. Apparently Tilda Swinton passed on the role that was played by Olivia in the end. I imagine Tilda saying: Ewan? Been there, done that (Little Adam).

by Anonymousreply 402September 12, 2020 1:26 PM

Another fan of the dynamic between Samantha and Miranda here. They were different in many ways, but both intelligent and hard working and I can honestly believe they would have been friends in real life. I enjoyed the episode where Samantha looks after baby Brady and sends Miranda for her long awaited salon appointment. She settles Brady by resting his bouncer against her new massager/ vibrator.

by Anonymousreply 403September 12, 2020 1:46 PM

"That better be BRAND new."

by Anonymousreply 404September 12, 2020 1:49 PM

I liked the Bradley Cooper episode. That was when Carrie was being shot for the cover of a magazine with the headline "Single and Fabulous" but it ends up being "Single and Fabulous?". Lol. There's a lot of funny beats in that episode including Stanford's bitchy queen friend who helped Carrie get the gig. "You're about a fucking MONTH late."

by Anonymousreply 405September 12, 2020 2:07 PM

Carrie’s low point for me — and believe me, it’s hard to pick — was in the second movie, when Big bought her a TV for their second anniversary so they could lie in bed and watch old movies together. And she whined that a piece of jewelry would have been nice instead.

If I had been Big, there wouldn’t have been a third anniversary.

by Anonymousreply 406September 12, 2020 2:17 PM

I haven't seen the second movie other than the beginning. I think I started it once and it opened with Stanford and Anthony's wedding? WTF? I turned it off.

For some reason I give the movies some slack - I don't hold them to the same standards as the series just because they're obviously big budget movies trying to make lots of money off of a brand and never pretended not to be that. Why that makes them deserving of slack I don't know. I should actually watch the second movie just because I've seen everything else.

The character of Carrie is self-involved and very annoying, but this thread has actually made me realize how much I like a big chunk of the show. Definitely seasons 1-3 and a lot of 4. It's realistic that they would settle down but the more settling down they did, the worse it got for me. Miranda's first go-round with Steve was fine, it's when they got back together - those episodes don't hold up as well. And I always hated Aiden.

Some of Carrie's most obnoxious antics I actually have a love-hate thing with just because they're SO obnoxious - like her dealing with Big's marriage by convincing herself that she's the difficult, wild, multi-faceted and interesting girl like in The Way We Were. The whole "Hubbell" arc.

by Anonymousreply 407September 12, 2020 2:27 PM

R379 And Carrie’s takeaway from ruining Natasha’s marriage and causing her physical injury was that she put such a beautiful woman back on the singles market. Carrie could never take responsibility for hurting people on her journey to find all-consuming love.

In the Paris episode where she stands up the young people from the bookstore at the dinner they held for her (a ludicrous subplot) couldn’t she have called the restaurant to let them know she was running late or not coming?

by Anonymousreply 408September 12, 2020 2:43 PM

SJP was very cute in her appearance in Steve Martin's film "LA Story". She has/had a good bod, but she's otherwise charactery, but reasonably attractive, not what producer SJP thinks she is as Carrie though to have all these good-looking guys bed her (and her keep her bra on!).

by Anonymousreply 409September 12, 2020 2:47 PM

I honestly don't find it THAT unreasonable. Early seasons she could put herself together and she had a tiny, good body -- and she put out. Guys go for that. I completely get that Carrie isn't the most beautiful woman ever, but I don't agree with this notion that no good looking successful man in the universe would date her, even hook up with her.

by Anonymousreply 410September 12, 2020 2:50 PM

They hook up with her. They don’t marry her.

by Anonymousreply 411September 12, 2020 2:55 PM

In episoe 3.10 when Samantha is sick with the flu she asks Carrie to make her a home remedy including cough syrup, Fanta soda, and ice, that always sounded like pure white trash to me.

by Anonymousreply 412September 12, 2020 3:10 PM

R406 at the very least, I would have rolled my eyes at her after the jewellery comment. And then she gets annoyed with Big because he doesn't want to go out and is paranoid about getting stuck in a rut 🙄

by Anonymousreply 413September 12, 2020 3:14 PM

[quote]Some of Carrie's most obnoxious antics I actually have a love-hate thing with just because they're SO obnoxious - like her dealing with Big's marriage by convincing herself that she's the difficult, wild, multi-faceted and interesting girl like in The Way We Were. The whole "Hubbell" arc.

When she asked him “Why wasn’t it me?” I always wanted him to reply “Because you’re a needy, neurotic, narcissistic freak, that’s why.”

by Anonymousreply 414September 12, 2020 3:14 PM

R413 Right? The guy’s working all hours to keep her ass in Manolos and then when he wants to stretch out and take it easy after a long day, she throws a royal fit.

by Anonymousreply 415September 12, 2020 3:16 PM

They should have done more with the Samantha-Miranda relationship; it was interesting when Miranda the ice princess showed sensitivity toward her. Making Carrie the protagonist/narrator would have made more sense if she was still more of an every woman by the end of the show. The problem was that they had settled down everyone but her and they had had one too many breakups with "Big"---they were inevitable but you knew it wouldn't last.

by Anonymousreply 416September 12, 2020 3:40 PM

[quote] SJP was very cute in her appearance in Steve Martin's film "LA Story".

SJP have had some performances (including that one, "State and Main" being the other) that make me think she would've been great as a quirky, kind of comedic actress until SATC had her fooled into thinking she's the modern prototype of a femme fatale or a sophisticated, high society woman around the town. Her career suffered as a result.

by Anonymousreply 417September 12, 2020 3:41 PM

[quote]Re: Kristin Davis being stunning, it always baffled me in that Atlantic City episode how the writers had those two men say: "No, ask the hot one!" meaning Carrie. In what world would SJP be considered "the hot one" when standing next to Kristin?

This is what happens when one of the actors has control on production.

On Cybil, the writers used to call it "the moment of shit" -- when they had to write some nonsense to flatter the ego of the star.

by Anonymousreply 418September 12, 2020 3:46 PM

SJP *has* had, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 419September 12, 2020 3:52 PM

I could imagine Carrie being friends with the other three, but found it unbelievable that they would be friends with each other, especially Samantha and Charlotte or Samantha and Miranda. Miranda and Charlotte could respect each other, and became closer when they became a mother. Each of them described Carrie as their best friend. Despite Carrie's tedious self-centredness, she made each of the others look good. She was plainer, less polished and less successful.

No idea why Miranda settled for Steve, unless she was just exhausted and desperate. In fact, the entire show is a cautionary tale of what happens to women in NYC if they party too long and don't find someone to settle down with before they hit 30. Big and the Russian were well past their prime, Steve was just a dull, stupid loser, and Harry was coarse and really unattractive. Their younger selves would have been horrified if they could have seen into their future. Charlotte should have stuck with Trey and moved to London or California, away from his toxic mother.

by Anonymousreply 420September 12, 2020 3:54 PM

[quote]Charlotte should have stuck with Trey and moved to London or California, away from his toxic mother.

There is no way Trey would have moved away from mommy.

by Anonymousreply 421September 12, 2020 3:56 PM

I thought she was a weak link in "State and Main"--almost everyone was better and I could ignore the obvious parts of the plot. She was awful in "Family Stone"---yes, she was meant to be unlikable, but she didn't make you care about her.

by Anonymousreply 422September 12, 2020 4:00 PM

Did anyone mention Dean Winters as Carrie's fuck bud who she tries to go on a date with and it's a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 423September 12, 2020 4:10 PM

Admittedly they made Harry less attractive, he was sweaty and hairy, but he was sweet and adored Charlotte and (eventually) vice versa and believe me, that’s worth a thousand Treys and their weird hang ups.

by Anonymousreply 424September 12, 2020 4:24 PM

[quote]She was awful in "Family Stone"---yes, she was meant to be unlikable, but she didn't make you care about her.

And yet, we were supposed to believe that two very good looking brothers were fighting over her.

by Anonymousreply 425September 12, 2020 4:28 PM

I still half-watch this fondly (mostly as background noise) on E!.

Older me actually likes Berger. He was a dick for sure, but Carrie was especially insufferable at this point in the show and he just didn’t put up with it.

And the post-it breakup is forever hilarious for a fragile egomaniac like Carrie, though I’m sure the writers meant it to be offensive and the ultimate asshole move.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 426September 12, 2020 4:57 PM

Berger/Carrie pairing was a perfect example of something good being done for the entire humanity: why should four people be unhappy when it can be only two. They should've kept them together. He was basically the male version of her and just as insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 427September 12, 2020 5:00 PM

That's true. Berger had a super fragile ego

by Anonymousreply 428September 12, 2020 5:02 PM

I really liked SJP in Honeymoon in Vegas. Also in Hocus Pocus.

by Anonymousreply 429September 12, 2020 5:02 PM

Agree R246 - Livingston is hot and I also liked the Berger character. Carrie was a juvenile fool, carrying on about the za za zoo or whatever the fuck she was babbling about when she was trying to woo him in the Hamptons. Berger was insecure, but he was also the only love interest I can think of who ever called Carrie out on her shit. The post-it note breakup was the ultimate kick in the cunt.

by Anonymousreply 430September 12, 2020 5:13 PM

At the point where Carrie was paired with Berger, my friends and I hate-watched the show because Carrie was so obnoxious. We applauded at the post-it breakup. I did love when Carrie cornered Berger's friends at some club and harangued them about the post-it and they were all like WTF? We can't blame him.

by Anonymousreply 431September 12, 2020 5:18 PM

When Berger told Miranda that her date just wasn't that into her and Carrie got all pissy at him, I wanted to slap her sunken cheeks. The advice liberated Miranda, and was far more useful than any of the bullshit Carrie had been waffling about for years as an "expert" columnist.

by Anonymousreply 432September 12, 2020 5:23 PM

I can't believe you racist bitches haven't mentioned Miranda's hot doctor Robert yet! Not only was he one of the best looking men on the show, he actually was a lovely person.

I was genuinely bummed when she dumped him for Steve. That was one of the most implausible moments in the whole series - she just REALIZES out of the blue how much she loves Steve-o.

Of course, ending up with a man who wasn't the father of her baby is an impossibility for prudish American TV.

by Anonymousreply 433September 12, 2020 5:26 PM

He was mentioned in R1, you lazy bitch!

by Anonymousreply 434September 12, 2020 5:27 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435September 12, 2020 5:29 PM

South Park in the City

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 436September 12, 2020 5:33 PM

R434 oh sorry but I didn't know the actor's name.

by Anonymousreply 437September 12, 2020 5:44 PM

Carrie deserved the post-it drama after ignoring the alarm bells ringing from his FUCK YOU! FUUUUUUCK YOU! temper tantrum aimed at an answering machine message of his ex. I mean, her head could've ended in his freezer. Instead, she got the easy way out with the post-it note. But I always love how the episode ended with Carrie being so shocked there wasn't even a narration segment at the end.

by Anonymousreply 438September 12, 2020 5:56 PM

Eigenberg is to me stunning (a hot muscular body with glasses is for me an unbeatable combination), but I could never find him even the slightest bit attractive after that episode which revealed Steve left skid marks on his underwear. I was nauseated by that episode.

They were always trying to be edgy, but they went over the line sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 439September 12, 2020 6:00 PM

[quote] On Cybil, the writers used to call it "the moment of shit" -- when they had to write some nonsense to flatter the ego of the star.

Alan Ball said once he had written an episode where Cybill had an Italian foreign exchange student staying at Cybill's house, and the plot was that he would have a deep crush on her daughter, Zoe. He said Shepherd called him at home after she read the script, and demanded two big changes: 1) she wanted the Italian foreign exchange student to have a crush on her character (who was 40 years older than the student was) rather than Zoe, and 2) she wanted an opportunity worked into the script so she could sing an Italian opera aria.

by Anonymousreply 440September 12, 2020 6:05 PM

Carrie treated Berger like a kept boy: "I want to introduce you to my Prada!"

by Anonymousreply 441September 12, 2020 6:07 PM

Both Samantha and Carrie are whore but Sam at least has the guts to admit it. Carrie is a self centre selfish hypocritical snowflake

by Anonymousreply 442September 12, 2020 6:07 PM

LMFAO

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 443September 12, 2020 6:09 PM

Nina Katz and Heather Graham talking shit about Carrie to Jason Bateman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 444September 12, 2020 6:10 PM

It still stuns me how so many women (and some gay men) find Carrie to be this wonderful character that they aspire to become. This has always been the main issue with the show. At first, it almost seemed like a satire of women like that. She kept getting knocked down and could never understand why. It was enjoyable for a bit until they tried to turn her into some sort of aspirational role model and gave us the insanely unrealistic ending of her and Big ending up together. In real life, he would have ended up with someone like Natasha and washed his hands of her years ago.

In a better show, they'd have had Carrie's affair with a married Big be a huge wakeup call and she'd have never seen him again. It could have been moving. She could have seen how much she hurt Natasha and maybe they could have both realized Big was a pig and moved on.

The rest of the gals were fun and more the type of women I'd want to hang out with. They really did seem like good, supportive friends.

One of the best episodes was the one where Miranda finally lets Carrie have it when she keeps talking about Big and tells her that it's driving her nuts and she's just going to have her heart broken again.

by Anonymousreply 445September 12, 2020 6:34 PM

Carrie ending up with Big...they might as well have had her winning the lottery. It would’ve been more in character.

by Anonymousreply 446September 12, 2020 6:46 PM

R445 And there was the episode where Carrie dispatched Aiden to rescue Miranda, who was naked on her bathroom floor unable to move from a neck sprain. Miranda called her out on her bullshit when she showed up with bagels the next day as a pretext to obsess about Aiden. And rightfully so.

by Anonymousreply 447September 12, 2020 6:47 PM

The Berger breakup seems dated in such a weird way now. I don’t feel like anyone would demand an in-person breakup after a couple of bumpy months of dating anymore...send me an apologetic text and I’ll unfollow you on Instagram. Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 448September 12, 2020 6:55 PM

Didn't they deal with ghosting even back then with Berger's sage "maybe he's not into you?" advice?

by Anonymousreply 449September 12, 2020 6:57 PM

I look forward to the day--not too far off--when SJP has to do one-woman nightclub acts in places like Evansville, IN and Duluth, MN, and will preface her songs by talking about how she opened doors for so many women by creating such a strong smart woman character who took charge of her own life as Carrie.

She'll be the Linda Lavin of the future.

by Anonymousreply 450September 12, 2020 6:59 PM

You say that jokingly R450, but I'm stunned that a revival of Gypsy hasn't been announced staring SJP. She'd probably be just as poorly received as Lavin was when she did it.

by Anonymousreply 451September 12, 2020 7:01 PM

Sarah Jessica Parker makes millions from her perfumes and products, and millions from acting/producing residuals from SATC. She won't be doing regional theatre in middle America.

by Anonymousreply 452September 12, 2020 7:09 PM

Its so funny when you are single like I was 20 years ago and then now the way I look at the show. As a single gay man I thought it was like the holy bible. I related to the show and the search for relationships. I look at it now and the Carrie character in particular as such a hot mess. I think the others at least had something going for them but she seems the most juvenile and the most adrift. She never evolved.

Her relationship with Big bordered on abusive and anyone that thought they belonged together is equally fucked up. He stands her up at altar. He buys her a big closet she rushes into his arms and they get married. No discussion. Aidan was who she belonged with but she didn't deserve him.

I felt like the beginning of the show at that very Woody Allen New York feel to it. I loved it. And then it got popular and the characters began so outrageous and heightened that it became ridiculous. The ending for Charlotte, Miranda and Samantha was perfect. I cried a bit. Carrie was an idiot of course. I have nothing but contempt for that character.

by Anonymousreply 453September 12, 2020 7:37 PM

After she finally became Mrs John Preston, Carrie finally found the confidence to go braless for Big..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454September 12, 2020 7:42 PM

Same, r453. I was a single gay man in his 20s in NYC during the original run of the show and I loved it. I'm now in my 40s and when I catch a rerun I think a lot of it is just so shallow and ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 455September 12, 2020 7:44 PM

Alan Ball talks about how he hated working on Cybil's show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 456September 12, 2020 7:45 PM

Aiden is who Carrie wanted to love, but let's face it - he wan't high profile or rich enough for her. In her big speech to Petrovsky, she claims that she's looking for love. What she was looking for was a man who would put up with her shit AND who had a fat wallet.

by Anonymousreply 457September 12, 2020 7:53 PM

This nonsense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 458September 12, 2020 7:57 PM

The basic problem with media entertainment and life itself is that people claim they are looking for love, but deliberately look for love in all the wrong places, because what's life without its hilarity ensue moments where you kiss a frog and he turns out to be a toad?

by Anonymousreply 459September 12, 2020 7:57 PM

Men from the LA episodes:

1. Vince Vaughn's personal assistant for Carrie Fisher faking like he's a producer or something - "I'm Carrie, you're Carrie." 2. Porn guy with the big cock who's also a poet - Samantha just wants to fuck him. 3. The formerly fat guy from NYC, a friend of Miranda's, who doesn't swallow food 4. The "nice guy" that Charlotte meets at the playboy mansion who offers to buy her tits.

by Anonymousreply 460September 12, 2020 7:59 PM

Who paid for her mortgage and the airline fees for carting all those awful outfits when she was in Paris?

by Anonymousreply 461September 12, 2020 8:01 PM

Lexi Featherston left her a lump sum in her will.

by Anonymousreply 462September 12, 2020 8:02 PM

What a cunt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 463September 12, 2020 8:05 PM

"Aiden should have known that that ring wasn't me."

How would he know that?

by Anonymousreply 464September 12, 2020 8:08 PM

"You take a nap-a; you don't move to Napa."

Jesus I hated some of Carrie's lines.

by Anonymousreply 465September 12, 2020 8:10 PM

[quote]"Aiden should have known that that ring wasn't me."

That scene makes no sense. Her best friend, Miranda, picked the ring.

by Anonymousreply 466September 12, 2020 8:14 PM

I never realized that Bea Arthur played Carrie:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 467September 12, 2020 8:20 PM

Kristen Johnston as Lexi Featherston was the best one-shot character of the whole series. A pity she didn't survive that fall so they could've brought her back from time to time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 468September 12, 2020 8:40 PM

Lexi and Amalita. I wish the entire show was about those two characters.

by Anonymousreply 469September 12, 2020 8:44 PM

I agree, R468 - even before the "New York is over" speech/fall she was great in that episode.

by Anonymousreply 470September 12, 2020 8:44 PM

Kristen Johnston was in that episode for less than three minutes and she stole the whole show.

by Anonymousreply 471September 12, 2020 8:45 PM

Lexi's character also resonates because she's symbolic of the old NYC finally gasping its last, deperate breath before killing itself unintentionally.

by Anonymousreply 472September 12, 2020 8:45 PM

Amalita was apparently retarded because she kept telling everyone Carrie was so fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 473September 12, 2020 8:46 PM

Carrie was about as fabulous as a sloppy wet fart in a white Chanel pantsuit when going pantiless in The Hamptons on Labor Day!

by Anonymousreply 474September 12, 2020 8:51 PM

Fabulous in the way her crowd would find someone fabulous - Carrie likes to party and stay out and she'll fuck guys. She wasn't wrong in that regard.

by Anonymousreply 475September 12, 2020 8:52 PM

Carrie did not write a sex column. She wrote a relationship and dating column. Carrie was so priggish and uptight regarding sex as others above have noted.

by Anonymousreply 476September 12, 2020 8:55 PM

She had that meltdown with the bi guy who told her pretty early on. She should have nixed it then instead of dragging him along. Not that I think he cared.

by Anonymousreply 477September 12, 2020 8:57 PM

I thought it was highlighted several times she wrote a sex column.

by Anonymousreply 478September 12, 2020 8:58 PM

The bus card says "Carrie Bradshaw knows good sex"

by Anonymousreply 479September 12, 2020 8:59 PM

Whether it was called a sex column or dating/relationship column, it seemed to touch on all of it.

by Anonymousreply 480September 12, 2020 8:59 PM

That was Eddie Cahill, R477. And then she freaked out when she had to kiss Alanis Morissette during a game of "Spin the bottle". C'mon, bitch, someone who's supposed to be as hip as she was would freak out at the prospect of kissing another woman??

by Anonymousreply 481September 12, 2020 9:01 PM

david does it for me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482September 12, 2020 9:01 PM

That Russian artist thing was so ridiculous and it's obvious he had some level of disdain for her. Remember when she had the dinner party to introduce her friends to him? He barely tolerated them and made his contempt obvious.

by Anonymousreply 483September 12, 2020 9:01 PM

R481 Eddie Cahill was cute as Tag in FRIENDS

by Anonymousreply 484September 12, 2020 9:02 PM

R478, I was merely expressing my opinion of her column. I know in the show it was a sex column but she rarely got into sex. Just dating and relationships. It's not like she was getting down and dirty about anal and oral. The raciest she got was the "To Pee or Not to Pee" column.

by Anonymousreply 485September 12, 2020 9:03 PM

Like, someone who was married to Carole Bouquet would find Carrie Bradshaw attractive or interesting enough...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486September 12, 2020 9:03 PM

Remember how much contempt Petrovsky's daughter had for Carrie. Lol. "Bitch, don't bother, I'll speak English."

by Anonymousreply 487September 12, 2020 9:05 PM

Go get our girl

by Anonymousreply 488September 12, 2020 9:06 PM

I liked her apartment, it was cosy.

by Anonymousreply 489September 12, 2020 9:07 PM

and a nice man would have given his daughter shit for her rudeness. Goes to show how much of an elitest cunt Petrovsky was.

by Anonymousreply 490September 12, 2020 9:08 PM

They all missed a great time during Fleet Week. Can't believe even Samantha didn't score with a Navy boy.

by Anonymousreply 491September 12, 2020 9:09 PM

They all missed a great time during Fleet Week. Can't believe even Samantha didn't score with a Navy boy.

by Anonymousreply 492September 12, 2020 9:09 PM

Petrovsky never pretended to not be an asshole. Carrie being Carrie, was enamored of his FAME and money.

by Anonymousreply 493September 12, 2020 9:09 PM

But as I remember, most of the contempt was the the camera focusing on her so we could read it; not anything she actually said to Carrie. She was diplomatic and fake nice to Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 494September 12, 2020 9:10 PM

Best looking guest star was Chip Kilkenny.

by Anonymousreply 495September 12, 2020 9:36 PM

The actor who played the guy with the geisha at home who dated Samantha claimed in that interview he gushed to Cattrall over her being in Big Trouble in Little China when he was "a kid." Bitch, please. His IMDB birthdate says 1966 (which I find hard to believe, as he looked like he was in his 40s in that episode) and even if that's true, he was a full grown adult when that movie came out.

by Anonymousreply 496September 12, 2020 9:37 PM

The whole Petrofsky debacle unfolded like a bad romance novel. I'm surprised that they went with a former dancer and not with some esteemed royal in exile whisking Carrie away to Paris to a fabulous royal ball.

by Anonymousreply 497September 12, 2020 9:42 PM

Lol I remember that servant turfing Samantha out of the bed and calling her a dirty whore or something similar, then reverting back to meek and submissive when her boss came home.

by Anonymousreply 498September 12, 2020 9:43 PM

Suzy Wong had plans for her boss. She wasn't going to let some other woman put a stake on her claim. Suzy was aiming for wifehood.

by Anonymousreply 499September 12, 2020 9:47 PM

I fucking loathe Ron Livingston with the heat of ten billion galaxies. Their dating arc was as bad as the Andy/Angela engagement on The Office.

Chris Noth has stated in interviews that the black diamond ending of the second movie was stupid, she has an emotional affair and rather than ream her ass Big buys her a black diamond?

by Anonymousreply 500September 12, 2020 9:50 PM

Miss Pearl Cream was more than welcome to Harvey. He was an ugly, paunchy motherfucker. Quite possibly the ugliest man Samantha dated in the entire series. Even the old coot was better looking.

by Anonymousreply 501September 12, 2020 9:51 PM

Dirty.

Filthy.

Cock-a-sucking whore!

No time for breakfast!!!

by Anonymousreply 502September 12, 2020 9:54 PM

I hate the "Boy Girl Boy Girl" episode. Carrie writes a fucking sex column and all she does when she's with him is ask him how having sex with a guy compares to having sex with a woman. "Do I kiss better than a boy?" Eat my ass, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 503September 12, 2020 9:57 PM

R497

Candace Bushnell was (briefly) married to ballet dancer Charles Askegard, that might have influenced things.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 504September 12, 2020 9:58 PM

I never could figure out why dumb bitch Carrie even tells Big about kissing Aidan. They didn't fuck.

by Anonymousreply 505September 12, 2020 9:58 PM

When SJP became an executive producer it was in her contract that everyone in the show call Carrie “fabulous.”

by Anonymousreply 506September 12, 2020 9:58 PM

Plus, for someone who writes a sex column, she is very narrow-minded.

She mocks him for saying he is bisexual, saying, "Bisexual is just a stopover on the way to Gayville."

I know many of you share that opinion, but it seemed an odd thing for a woman who is an expert on sex to say.

by Anonymousreply 507September 12, 2020 9:59 PM

r341, you mean a fabulous mask like this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 508September 12, 2020 10:01 PM

I don't get SJP at all. All the other women did nudity, even prudish little Charlotte flashed tit. Carrie has sex with a bra on which makes me wonder if the real life SJP is an uptight prude. Frankly, I can't see her having sex with Matthew Broderick at all.

by Anonymousreply 509September 12, 2020 10:02 PM

Haha that always cracks me up - Chloe speaking fast French and Carrie being like: "A little slower, s'il vous plaît." and the expression on Chloe's face: "Oh? You don't speak French?" Hahaha.

And then a couple of minutes later, Carrie up in her room, fingering the curtains: "Les rideaux de fenêtre". 😂

by Anonymousreply 510September 12, 2020 10:02 PM

Here's Harvey and Sum in a nutshell. I forgot he also had a hairy back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 511September 12, 2020 10:04 PM

Thanks for that link R456, it was really interesting. Especially as a non-American, hearing him talk about how writers hate "the moment of shit" in each episode, and how annoying it is having to balance the network's insistence to make everyone nicer, is fascinating. These are things that we often point to as examples of why we think American TV is often inferior to say, British TV, and it's really refreshing to find out that it's not the writers doing it, that they hate it just as much. God, having your writing micromanaged that much must suck.

by Anonymousreply 512September 12, 2020 10:08 PM

R490

You obviously don't know much about the French, much less Parisians.

French will respond to anyone who speaks their language to them in kind. However when or if it becomes clearly apparent beyond a few mere pleasantries their interlocutor is woefully ignorant of correctly conversing in French two main responses are likely to occur, especially among Parisians.

One is to simply continue responding in French, but have this look which says (I don't understand a word of what you've just said), when interlocutor tries to answer. Or, they simply switch over to English which most if not all Parisians (and many other French from certain backgrounds) are usually fluent.

by Anonymousreply 513September 12, 2020 10:11 PM

"I have something to tell you all."

"I'm a dude."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 514September 12, 2020 10:12 PM

Anyone got the clip of Scary Carrie chowing down on a baguette while she sits by the river?

by Anonymousreply 515September 12, 2020 10:13 PM

I liked when that little French brat hit Carrie on the head and stuck her tongue out at her. It was like she was speaking for all of Paris.

by Anonymousreply 516September 12, 2020 10:15 PM

R513 that doesn't change my statement. The girl was a little cunt and her father should have give her shit. I don't care how the French act. To an American, it's appallingly rude. If I acted like that to a non-native speaker my parents would have been appalled and thrashed me.

by Anonymousreply 517September 12, 2020 10:16 PM

My favourite was when she took a spill in Dior

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 518September 12, 2020 10:17 PM

Carrie was always out of her depth with European men and or on their home court. That married French businessman thought she was a whore (he left her money after their one night stand). Then Carrie attempts to take up with Petrovsky were foolish and bound to end in disaster. Most cultures of European men, especially those Latin based (French, Spanish, etc...) are just a whole different world compared to American men. Out of the box they aren't going to put up with Carrie's (or any other American woman's) needy, self-centered emotional bull shit.

by Anonymousreply 519September 12, 2020 10:22 PM

Yeah, Because no one in America screams SPEAK ENGLISH at anyone ever.

by Anonymousreply 520September 12, 2020 10:23 PM

That SNL skit was painfully unfunny. Poehler sounded more like she was channeling Chris Farley than SJP, and Maya Rudolph was completely off the mark. Dratch was okay and Aguilera was great at first, but she lost it mid-way through. The script itself was terrible. A shining example of head writer Tina Fey at her overrated worst.

by Anonymousreply 521September 12, 2020 10:24 PM

[quote] Carrie was always out of her depth with European men and or on their home court. That married French businessman thought she was a whore (he left her money after their one night stand). Then Carrie attempts to take up with Petrovsky were foolish and bound to end in disaster.

Wow, one and a half examples. I can't wait for your full dissertation.

by Anonymousreply 522September 12, 2020 10:25 PM

"Most cultures of European men, especially those Latin based (French, Spanish, etc...) are just a whole different world compared to American men. Out of the box they aren't going to put up with Carrie's (or any other American woman's) needy, self-centered emotional bull shit."

Would you say this is true in reverse too? I see an awful lot of needy, self-centered American men and I can see European women not being into it.

by Anonymousreply 523September 12, 2020 10:26 PM

R513

Americans and perhaps the British have found French to be "rude" or "arrogant" for ages; what of it? It all comes down to different cultural norms; *you* and your parents are Americans and thus yes would find Chloe's conduct towards Carrie wanting, but Petrovsky obviously saw nothing out of place. His only comment basically was that he would be too busy to sit around and translate between the two all day.

by Anonymousreply 524September 12, 2020 10:30 PM

[quote]That SNL skit was painfully unfunny. Poehler sounded more like she was channeling Chris Farley than SJP,

Poehler is a talent-free impressionist. I never understood why anyone liked her Hillary Clinton.

Aguilera nailed Samantha's way of speaking, but had to deliver bad lines. And, of course, the skit was very transphobic.

by Anonymousreply 525September 12, 2020 10:31 PM

I thought the skit made fun of the fact that many perceived SATC to be a show about women acting like slutty gay men.

by Anonymousreply 526September 12, 2020 10:33 PM

From my personal life experience, I’ve found Europeans are generally more classy and sophisticated which make them more attractive.

by Anonymousreply 527September 12, 2020 10:34 PM

Europeans usually give you a break when you struggle with their local language or customs but show some effort. When they perceive you as rude they either act indifferent and turn away from you or return the favor and be rude to you.

But, of course, everywhere in the world you may encounter elitist snobs who look down on you for whatever reason (common tourist, a poser, inappropriate in some way, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 528September 12, 2020 10:43 PM

Even Rose from GG was more open minded about sex than Carrie. How was she able to write that column?

by Anonymousreply 529September 12, 2020 10:43 PM

I didn't hate Berger--the problem was that he starts out a nice guy but different from Aiden who obviously was too nice for Carrie or anyone else. Then he becomes a jerk rather suddenly, although Carrie carrying around that dumb purse with a train was equally dumb. He was underdeveloped as a character--probably a trust fund baby, a detail that would have made him more rounded and believable. He was really something of a plot device---a way to bridge at a time when they didn't know what to do with Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 530September 12, 2020 10:52 PM

R529: in the beginning Carrie had curiosity. She lost that and become so self-centered.

by Anonymousreply 531September 12, 2020 10:53 PM

"I'M ON LONDON TIME!!"

by Anonymousreply 532September 12, 2020 10:57 PM

Berger was an insecure douche. "Please, tell me what you think of my novel! PLEASE!" ... "scrunchy!" ... "How dare you shit all over my novel, you bitch!". Neither showed any kind of humility. Ever. They were both self absorbed cunts.

by Anonymousreply 533September 12, 2020 11:02 PM

Charlotte's SCREAMING at shit all the time made me want to shoot my TV.

by Anonymousreply 534September 12, 2020 11:10 PM

R533 She was a published author. She knew she shouldn't be pointing out a fault in a published novel, especially when never asked.

If Berger had given her a manuscript or a galley, that would have been different. But it was gratuitous to scold him about it once the book was published.

I've had friends say things like, "I really don't like the cover of your new book." And I just wonder why people feel it is helpful to provide that information about a book that has already been published.

That being said, Berger was a sulky brat. Although I am glad he called her out on her silly little hat.

by Anonymousreply 535September 12, 2020 11:14 PM

Have we mentioned "Asshole Jim" (Dominic Fumusa) yet?

by Anonymousreply 536September 12, 2020 11:16 PM

Samantha did have boundaries, she said she would never rim a man.

by Anonymousreply 537September 12, 2020 11:18 PM

Berger and Carrie deserve each other. They are both self centre selfish fragile arseholes

by Anonymousreply 538September 12, 2020 11:21 PM

"There are some things people don't say because they don't like how it sounds. Like, I'm getting divorced."

"I'm lonely...I am. The loneliness is palpable."

by Anonymousreply 539September 12, 2020 11:22 PM

[quote]Samantha did have boundaries, she said she would never rim a man.

Women generally don't do that, even the slutty ones. Rimming is definitely a male thing.

by Anonymousreply 540September 12, 2020 11:24 PM

Samantha Jones was the best according to Ms Mojo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 541September 12, 2020 11:25 PM

Good one R539 I remembered that one. She totally cut Charlotte off when she was talking about how she feels. And Carrie is lonely cause she fucks up her own relationships.

by Anonymousreply 542September 12, 2020 11:25 PM

R539 Oh my god, I remember that quote! Couldn't even bother responding to Charlotte in any way before turning it all around to her. Probably the lowest point Carrie reaches with how she treats her friends is during that entire episode. Carrie's behaviour towards Samantha in that episode is also terrible and makes you wonder why anyone actually puts up with her!

by Anonymousreply 543September 12, 2020 11:27 PM

Yea she forced Samantha to come to her book launch (of a collection of her shitty columns you can read for free in the daily rag). Then she treated her like shit because of her chemical peel.

by Anonymousreply 544September 12, 2020 11:29 PM

Basically, every guy who she dated and who had been previously married seriously downgraded with her: both of Big's wives, the one working for a publishing house and Natasha were both well above Carrie, as was Petrovsky's ex-wife. She looked and acted like gutter trash in comparison to any of them. Apparently, she was everybody's favourite "slummin' it" girl.

by Anonymousreply 545September 12, 2020 11:31 PM

I went to YouTube to look for some obnoxious scenes of Carrie speaking French and found this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 546September 12, 2020 11:59 PM

There wasn't even a hint of an accent in Carrie's French. A first year high school student would have done better.

And WTF was up with that hat?

To be fair the rapid pace of Parisian French can be off putting for non-native speakers. The cardinal sin many Americans and others who don't speak French well is to try and imitate this speech pattern garbling their words, using incorrect tenses, etc....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 547September 13, 2020 12:11 AM

Reaction and facial expression of saleswoman at Dior to Carrie's stumbling French is classic French, especially Parisian or any of the larger cities.

For record universally all or most front line staff at Dior and rest of high end shops in Paris all speak English and perhaps one other language besides native French. It is part of job requirements and of course necessary in large part due to vast numbers of American or British who shop at such places.

If a particular sales person or whoever didn't speak English someone on that floor would, and summoned to deal with Carrie.

For record many French adore their language spoken with a "charming" American accent. Carrie's butchering of French was not anything remotely near. Was rather like Bugs Bunny goes to Paris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 548September 13, 2020 12:18 AM

I always find it cringey how in that scene above the receptionist asks her "American?" and she says: "New Yorker" and for some reason he acts all impressed. Really?

by Anonymousreply 549September 13, 2020 12:19 AM

I always find it cringey how in that scene above the receptionist asks her "American?" and she says: "New Yorker" and for some reason he acts all impressed. Really?

by Anonymousreply 550September 13, 2020 12:19 AM

Charlotte was an ass....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 551September 13, 2020 12:22 AM

The receptionist was just humoring her

by Anonymousreply 552September 13, 2020 12:22 AM

^ Haha maybe that was it (also apologies for double posting, I'm sure I only pressed post once).

by Anonymousreply 553September 13, 2020 12:24 AM

Books are back.

by Anonymousreply 554September 13, 2020 12:26 AM

Over the course of the series, Carrie's voice become breathier. It really irritated me how she put on that whole breathless delight in Paris.

I don't condone domestic violence, but what I would have given to see Petrovsky give that bitch a good left hook!

by Anonymousreply 555September 13, 2020 12:27 AM

R555

Petrovsky did give Carrie what she had coming, though not on purpose and certainly no where near hard enough. Hahahaha

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 556September 13, 2020 12:29 AM

I am that GRAPE Carrie eats as she settles into her Fabulous Parisian Hotel Suite!

That FUCKING grape!

by Anonymousreply 557September 13, 2020 12:30 AM

Did anyone else see SJP when she was on Jonathan Ross and he told her Carrie was kinda annoying, and asked why she was never happy, for example with The Russian, and SJP starts hemming and hawing and eventually says: "... and he was abusive towards her."

It's so clear in the show that the slap is an accident and a really ham-fisted device to show Carrie being woken up out of her dream. Even later on when Big thinks Petrovsky slapped her on purpose and gets angry about it, Carrie is pleading with him, telling him that it's not what he thinks.

Then SJP completely rewrites that during an interview in order that she can defend this stupid character she plays? Haha!

by Anonymousreply 558September 13, 2020 12:33 AM

R550

First of all he was hotel concierge, not receptionist.

Reaction to Carrie saying she is from New York would be no different than someone in similar position in an American hotel welcoming Parisians or anyone else from a world class city.

Somehow don't believe arriving at Plaza Athénée and saying you are an American from Mobile, Alabama would illicit same response.

by Anonymousreply 559September 13, 2020 12:35 AM

Jimmie Fowlie is adorable . General consensus is we all watched SATC for everyone BUT Carrie .

by Anonymousreply 560September 13, 2020 12:39 AM

It never would have worked between Petrovsky and Carrie if the former kept his home base in Paris, France. Parisian women (starting with Chloe) would have eaten Carrie alive.

Carrie was a horrid little provincial who lacked even basic sophistication required to pull off being wife or even mistress of a man like Petrovsky. This would have been apparent to all and sundry, thus wouldn't be long before one or more females decided to teach Carrie a lesson.

Hint, if you think Les Liaisons Dangereuses is some old French novel totally based upon fiction; think again. Such games went on then, have since and still continue. Using sex as a weapon is a highly refined art in some French social circles, and Carrie wouldn't have had a clue.

by Anonymousreply 561September 13, 2020 12:45 AM

[quote] I know in the show it was a sex column but she rarely got into sex. Just dating and relationships. It's not like she was getting down and dirty about anal and oral.

Let us be clear. You are actually [italic]complaining[/italic] that Carrie did not talk in her column about oral and anal. You would have preferred to have been asked to actively imagine Sarah Jessica Parker engaged in oral and anal sex.

You are really saying this. About Sarah Jessica Parker.

by Anonymousreply 562September 13, 2020 12:50 AM

"Horrible little provincial" is actually a really apt description of Carrie. Remember when she freaked out because Petrovsky was wooing her in an old-fashioned way? And for some reason she couldn't be a grown up and either discuss with him that it wasn't her preferred style of romance, or could she look at it from his perspective and see that someone was doing something nice for her. Instead she just faints all over the place and ends up saying: "I'm an American - take me to McDonalds!" and then they dance while waiting for their fries? It was so tacky!

by Anonymousreply 563September 13, 2020 12:58 AM

Carrie is basically just a stylish frau.

by Anonymousreply 564September 13, 2020 1:41 AM

Buster!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 565September 13, 2020 1:45 AM

These guys deserve a very special mention for yelling at Carrie on her 35th birthday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 566September 13, 2020 1:55 AM

More men - remember Bradley Migo - the good on paper guy? Forgive me if someone has mentioned him. Carrie met him at an event in the city but then meets up with him in The Hamptons where she has that virgin groupie Laurel.

by Anonymousreply 567September 13, 2020 1:58 AM

Question: do you think the writers (and perhaps the producer) intentionally tried to make Carrie look extra-selfish and just bad in general to somehow counter SJP's probably really thinking that Carrie should be (and is in her mind) the most fabulous person in NYC and was giving off obnoxious vibes to others trying to get it written that way?

by Anonymousreply 568September 13, 2020 2:11 AM

Stanford's men - off the top of my head; I'm sure there's more.

Derek - his client and underwear model - not dating but he's infatuated with him

Thick dude in leather jacket he tries to hook up with but who rejects him on the street - "this isn't happening."

Alim, Alam? - some young guy of color who he's dating

Nevin - the bitchy photo shoot guy - "you're about a fucking MONTH late."

Marcus - the guy with the escorting past

The guy he meets at the underwear party via online chat under the handle Rick9Plus

by Anonymousreply 569September 13, 2020 2:13 AM

You're right about that, R519. Americans and others think European culture is sophisticated, but another way of saying that its that it is chauvinistic and conservative, ie, backward by New World standards. It's changing somewhat now, but basically European men expect to be the boss in their r'ships. Women in turn are devious and manipulative to get some control.

by Anonymousreply 570September 13, 2020 2:21 AM

I hated Stanford. Fucking HATED him.

by Anonymousreply 571September 13, 2020 2:32 AM

Ok, that's fine. Calm down.

by Anonymousreply 572September 13, 2020 2:33 AM

Wow, this thread is already nearly done. Shall we move to a Part 2?

by Anonymousreply 573September 13, 2020 4:15 AM

Yes r573

by Anonymousreply 574September 13, 2020 4:19 AM

There have been a lot of interesting discussions on here, actually. I watched a couple of clips just to revisit — like with Charlotte and the money.

I love that SNL sketch, but that’s just me. Not surprising Tina Fey wrote it though, I remember when she was on I think Dennis Miller and she said it was such fucking bullshit that SATC was “feminist” (all true) and it was so clearly written by gay men and a fantasy about how they would talk (again, true). I believe she made a couple of “tranny” references too which of course, get her cancelled today. But she was spot on.

by Anonymousreply 575September 13, 2020 4:30 AM

[quote] I remember when she was on I think Dennis Miller and she said it was such fucking bullshit that SATC was “feminist” (all true) and it was so clearly written by gay men and a fantasy about how they would talk (again, true).

Actually all complete bullshit. After Season 1, SATC had a predominantly female writing staff. Tina is an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 576September 13, 2020 4:37 AM

Mark Kermode's hilarious review of Sex and the City 2.

Such consumerist obsessed hyper-capitalistic garbage it was almost enough to turn him into a Communist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 577September 13, 2020 4:56 AM

[Quote] I never could figure out why dumb bitch Carrie even tells Big about kissing Aidan. They didn't fuck.

Samantha made the same point. But naturally, Carrie wasn't going to take her advice.

by Anonymousreply 578September 13, 2020 5:02 AM

R576 women don’t talk that way when they “do brunch.” At all. Total fantasy of a certain subset of gay men.

by Anonymousreply 579September 13, 2020 5:17 AM

r504 She was married to him for a decade. Not exactly "brief."

by Anonymousreply 580September 13, 2020 5:31 AM

[quote] [R576] women don’t talk that way when they “do brunch.” At all. Total fantasy of a certain subset of gay men.

That's delightful, dear, except it has nothing to do with my comment, which is fact.

by Anonymousreply 581September 13, 2020 5:35 AM

[quote]And, of course, the skit was very transphobic.

So is DL.

by Anonymousreply 582September 13, 2020 6:05 AM

r546 I actually lol'd at that.

by Anonymousreply 583September 13, 2020 6:14 AM

r569 Alan. "Stanford and Alan worshipped the same God, Style."

by Anonymousreply 584September 13, 2020 6:33 AM

r569 The Rick9Plus guy was pretty cute, BigTool4U I think.

by Anonymousreply 585September 13, 2020 6:37 AM

Do we need a second thread or has someone done the honors?

by Anonymousreply 586September 13, 2020 6:45 AM

Here's a part 2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 587September 13, 2020 7:09 AM

Candace Bushnell's husband dumped her for a young ballerina.

The funny hing is, she is very pretty, in a blonde, WASP-y way. More of a Charlotte than a Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 588September 13, 2020 7:59 AM

UPS guy who fucked Samantha was hot. Gay man’s dream to have a regular super hot UPS guy who fucks him every time he delivers

by Anonymousreply 589September 13, 2020 8:12 AM

The problem was that both the audience and the stars took the show too serious after a while. That's why Samantha is still considered the most fun. Kim just had fun with it and was in on the joke ... at first, until Sarah became a producer and took all the fun out of it for good.

I love the show, but the show changed for the worse and it was only to preserve the franchise and milk it some more. The show had so many opportunities to end on a high note (just like, say, Absolutely Fabulous), but greed kept it on air (and in theaters with those dreadful movies) for way too long.

Sarah, again I love her and the show, tried to please the audience and made it more frau than satire. And I think if the show had stayed on the satire path it would've feel less outdated and more considered a time capsule of its time and pop, social & political culture.

by Anonymousreply 590September 13, 2020 8:26 AM

r588 I replied to this in part 2

by Anonymousreply 591September 13, 2020 8:39 AM

UPS guy just let Sam suck his cock-a-doodle-do

by Anonymousreply 592September 13, 2020 8:44 AM

Wasn't Billy Wirth one of Samantha's hookups??

by Anonymousreply 593September 13, 2020 8:56 AM

Top 37 men Samantha Jones bedded. Rather a skank wasn't she?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 594September 13, 2020 9:21 AM

Nick Scotti (aka Joe, the Worldwide Express Guy)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 595September 13, 2020 9:33 AM

Not exactly my cup of tea, but to each his own..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 596September 13, 2020 9:37 AM

Anyone think he tapped Madonna's ass?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 597September 13, 2020 9:37 AM

Victor Webster! Played Chip Kil-Kinney in season six episode, went to prison for insider trading.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 598September 13, 2020 9:41 AM

Big Daddy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 599September 13, 2020 9:42 AM

Last one....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600September 13, 2020 9:44 AM

I thought most of the supposedly fashionable clothes Carrie wore were cringeworthy, especially the over the top crap she wore in final couple of episodes in Paris.

by Anonymousreply 601September 13, 2020 10:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!