Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Self Control” (1984) by Laura Branigan

Am I the only one who thinks this is her best song? I know a lot of people who say Gloria and/or Solitaire are better. I couldn’t disagree more.

Self Control is pure 80s pop-rock, with a lot of edge, and her vocals sound incredible. But it’s not only 80s Classic, it’s a song that still sounds great today. Some 80s songs sound dated and awful today, but this is one of those that sounds great still, and makes you wanna sing along. The lyrics are a lot of fun too!

This is a true classic. Gloria isn’t.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 15, 2020 1:51 AM

Thanks, OP--I haven't watched that video in 36 years...

And it's pure, unapologetic, stylish 1980s CAMP. The masked dancers writhing around on miles of Reynolds Wrap is just one highlight.

Branigan should have had a longer career. Her voice had balls, and she was pretty. I wonder what (if anything) "Self Control" would sound like in a much more stripped down, acoustic arrangement.

by Anonymousreply 1September 9, 2020 9:35 PM

It is her best. Spanish Eddie is a close second.

by Anonymousreply 2September 9, 2020 9:41 PM

We always referred to this as Elf Control.

by Anonymousreply 3September 9, 2020 9:49 PM

William Friedkin directed the video.

by Anonymousreply 4September 9, 2020 9:52 PM

You are NOT, OP. This is my absolute favorite Laura Branigan song. The others don’t even come close.

by Anonymousreply 5September 9, 2020 9:59 PM

This is definitely her best song.

by Anonymousreply 6September 9, 2020 10:13 PM

Love this song.

by Anonymousreply 7September 9, 2020 10:47 PM

Certain songs from the 80’s take me straight back. The feeling can be intense. This is one of the songs that does that for me.

by Anonymousreply 8September 9, 2020 10:48 PM

Actually, it's a cover of this Italian hit from the same year. Which, in Europe, was just as popular as Laura's version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 9, 2020 10:50 PM

Gloria's MO was covering European artists. Gloria was another cover from an Italian artist.

by Anonymousreply 10September 9, 2020 11:57 PM

No Laura’s version was more popular throughout Europe. Check your chart data bitch.

by Anonymousreply 11September 10, 2020 2:29 AM

Laura’s version was much bigger.

by Anonymousreply 12September 11, 2020 12:00 AM

It's easily her best song and it has aged the best as a production.

by Anonymousreply 13September 12, 2020 3:29 AM

It’s a great song and video

by Anonymousreply 14November 15, 2020 12:58 AM

Laura only had four hits. Gloria and Self Control were the two biggies. Solitaire and How Am I Supposed To Live Without You were moderate hits. Yet, she's a DL icon.

by Anonymousreply 15November 15, 2020 1:05 AM

She was really big for awhile in the 80s. I'm old enough to remember Gloria and that song was HUGE. You heard it everywhere for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 16November 15, 2020 1:07 AM

Self Control is definitely her best song, followed by Gloria.

by Anonymousreply 17November 15, 2020 1:09 AM

Very sexy lady.

[quote] Laura only had four hits.

Five

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 15, 2020 1:11 AM

Self Control is not only Laura's best song, it's also one of the best songs of the '80s in my opinion.

And I still love the fact that William Friedkin, director of The Exorcist and CRUISING, directed the video.

by Anonymousreply 19November 15, 2020 1:12 AM

It's a good song. However, gayboys couldn't shake their asses to it in NYC dance clubs. They could to "Gloria" and so that song became a bigger hit on the club scene.

by Anonymousreply 20November 15, 2020 1:15 AM

I’ve always liked Moonlight on Water, though it wasn’t really a hit.

by Anonymousreply 21November 15, 2020 1:16 AM

Was the Madame Alexander doll in the video raped?

by Anonymousreply 22November 15, 2020 1:17 AM

The video is fun

by Anonymousreply 23November 15, 2020 1:43 AM

R22 looks like it

by Anonymousreply 24November 15, 2020 1:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!