Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DL fave Angela Lansbury spotted eating lunch in Malibu

She looks great for 94.

Are those things real?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277September 19, 2020 12:33 PM

She had breast implants after the 3rd season of Murder She Wrote.

by Anonymousreply 1September 5, 2020 2:10 AM

I read she doesn't like to be approached.

by Anonymousreply 2September 5, 2020 2:12 AM

[quote] Are those things real?

She invested in the best implants money could buy LONG ago.

Her unrepentant harlotry was notorious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 5, 2020 2:13 AM

She looks good and healthy

by Anonymousreply 4September 5, 2020 2:13 AM

She looks lovely and healthy.

by Anonymousreply 5September 5, 2020 2:14 AM

She’s always had big tits.

by Anonymousreply 6September 5, 2020 2:15 AM

She was a Charles Manson enabler, she got in over her head and moved abroad.

by Anonymousreply 7September 5, 2020 2:16 AM

[quote] I read she doesn't like to be approached.

I’ve approached her in public, my partner even asked for her autograph, and she was sweet and charming

It probably helped that he was gushing over her performance as Mrs. Lovett and not Jessica Fletcher

by Anonymousreply 8September 5, 2020 2:17 AM

"Are those things real?"

Thank God, yes.

by Anonymousreply 9September 5, 2020 2:19 AM

[quote] I read she doesn't like to be approached.

I can verify this firsthand. I was a shopbottom back in the '80s when she was on tour with SWEENEY TODD she came into the store in which I worked. She was pleasant but all business when I waited on her, but when someone approached her for an autograph she declined, telling the woman 'This is my personal time'. I saw her point, but felt it would've taken less time to scribble an autograph than it took to state her boundaries, although I suppose that being stopped every three feet must be exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 10September 5, 2020 2:24 AM

She looks very pleasant in the photo

by Anonymousreply 11September 5, 2020 2:25 AM

Substitutionary bewbeez

by Anonymousreply 12September 5, 2020 2:26 AM

[quote]r10 I was a shopbottom back in the '80s when she was on tour with SWEENEY TODD she came into the store in which I worked. She was pleasant but all business when I waited on her, but when someone approached her for an autograph she declined, telling the woman 'This is my personal time'.

That story makes me giggle....especially since she was returning a pair of her husband's pants or something at the time (?)

"I have [italic]importany business[/italic] to attend to!"

by Anonymousreply 13September 5, 2020 2:26 AM

ugggh ... "IMPORTANT business"

by Anonymousreply 14September 5, 2020 2:27 AM

Someone on that thread asked what she was eating and NOBODY replied "a meat pie"???

by Anonymousreply 15September 5, 2020 2:29 AM

[quote]I suppose that being stopped every three feet must be exhausting.

Then she should have invested in a large pair of sunglasses and a floppy hat. That's why God created disguises.

by Anonymousreply 16September 5, 2020 2:35 AM

[quote]She was pleasant but all business when I waited on her, but when someone approached her for an autograph she declined, telling the woman 'This is my personal time'.

She should have said, "Oh, you must think I'm Angela ... I'm actually her identical Irish cousin Emma MacGill."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 5, 2020 2:52 AM

what was on the menu?

by Anonymousreply 18September 5, 2020 2:57 AM

[quote] That story makes me giggle....especially since she was returning a pair of her husband's pants or something at the time (?)

Close. Believe it or not, she was exchanging a Members Only jacket (remember those?) for a different size. She'd bought one the day before (my day off, damn it) and her husband thought it was too small on her so she went up to a medium.

Not that she would've known it, but store policy didn't require a signature for exchanges and I was so intimidated by the upbraiding she'd given that woman that I was too scared to ask for her to sign a receipt lest she find a floorwalker and complain. I just scribbled the date and 'exchanged' on the receipt, thanked her, and sent her on her way.

I finally got her autograph decades later after a performance of DEUCE, and she was lovely

by Anonymousreply 19September 5, 2020 2:59 AM

Everyone always has something nice to say about her. If you write to her for an autograph she’ll respond within two weeks, even thank you if you sent her something. She’s a very nice woman. I would love to know what she and Bea Arthur were like together.

by Anonymousreply 20September 5, 2020 3:04 AM

love this pic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 5, 2020 3:07 AM

Just a coupla song & dance girls, r20!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 5, 2020 3:10 AM

I love her.

Screw Malibu, Angie, go North.

by Anonymousreply 23September 5, 2020 3:15 AM

I thought she was living in Britain. She looks fantastic either way.

by Anonymousreply 24September 5, 2020 3:15 AM

And she'll be 95 next month.

by Anonymousreply 25September 5, 2020 3:17 AM

And she'll be 96 13 months from now, R25, you helpful little reporter, you.

by Anonymousreply 26September 5, 2020 3:31 AM

R19, good story. Have you recounted this Members Only jacket return in another thread as well? (Not criticizing, I've told the same celebrity encounter stories in different threads.)

by Anonymousreply 27September 5, 2020 3:38 AM

Yes he has, r27, I remember it.

by Anonymousreply 28September 5, 2020 3:50 AM

Angela lives in Los Angeles. Not sure if she still has her home in Ireland or not. She did a radio interview last year where she announced her love of reggae music.

by Anonymousreply 29September 5, 2020 3:50 AM

They sat her near the rubbish bin!

by Anonymousreply 30September 5, 2020 3:51 AM

I read that Bea had issues with Angela during Mame, mainly feeling she wasn't getting her just due for its success. Also, she didn't like the fact she had to wear black while Angela wore white during their Bosom Buddies showstopper.

I see Bea wore white and Angela wore black when they recreated the number at the Tonys in 1988. Angie still looked smashing.

Here they are in costume rehearsing for the original production.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 5, 2020 3:56 AM

Here they are at the 1988 Tonys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 5, 2020 3:59 AM

At least, she still got her wits and not senile like Baba Wawa.

by Anonymousreply 33September 5, 2020 4:11 AM

R26, my point was just that she looks great at almost 95. Thanks for the snark though.

by Anonymousreply 34September 5, 2020 4:14 AM

Do you think Bea was bitter that Angela became more famous when MSW became such a massive success? After Mame on Broadway, Bea became the much bigger star with Maude and then Golden Girls, but Angela topped all that with MSW.

Bea was well-known to be a jealous and vindictive person. I have no doubt that she resented Angela later in life.

by Anonymousreply 35September 5, 2020 4:34 AM

She’ll be dead by Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 36September 5, 2020 4:36 AM

Angela never topped Bea on TV. MSW was a long running show but not showey enough for that kind of recognition Bea got for GG or Maude. I'm sure Angie and Bea didn't give a shit about that.

by Anonymousreply 37September 5, 2020 4:52 AM

Angela never topped Bea on TV.

by Anonymousreply 38September 5, 2020 5:09 AM

I believe Angela never received an Emmy for MSW. Bea did for GG.

by Anonymousreply 39September 5, 2020 5:56 AM

[quote] Angela never topped Bea on TV.

God'll get you for that, Walter.

by Anonymousreply 40September 5, 2020 6:00 AM

Isn't Murder She Wrote bigger today than Golden Girls?

by Anonymousreply 41September 5, 2020 6:03 AM

Yes, r41. Murder, She Wrote is a huge money maker internationally to this very day. It’s exported in every language. They just released the show on remastered Blu-ray in France. The book series has now surpassed 50 novels. Retailers in Italy sell clothes with the character on it and I think in Brazil the character Jessica Fletcher is used as a rebellion character in protest posters. The show’s longevity is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 42September 5, 2020 6:07 AM

Has anyone played the two Murder, She Wrote video games? I got the Jessica Fletcher Funko pop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 5, 2020 6:08 AM

Angela admitted a few years ago that she regrets selling off the rights to the show. It sounds like she no longer has any stake in it beyond residuals.

Some reggae group put out a Murder, She Wrote inspired song recently.

by Anonymousreply 44September 5, 2020 6:10 AM

[quote]They sat her near the rubbish bin!

That’s what I was thinking! What restaurant was this?

by Anonymousreply 45September 5, 2020 6:17 AM

r45 It looks like that casual seafood place where Jax proposed to Brittany on Vanderpump Rules.

by Anonymousreply 46September 5, 2020 6:23 AM

R46 I don’t watch that stupid ass show so...

by Anonymousreply 47September 5, 2020 6:27 AM

I love the wedding dress she wore here when she married Peter Shaw. I think it's beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 5, 2020 6:32 AM

Peter Shaw was a hottie! She was lucky to snag him as a fat old hag.

by Anonymousreply 49September 5, 2020 6:36 AM

A living treasure

by Anonymousreply 50September 5, 2020 6:40 AM

She looks radiant in that photo r48, the dress is indeed lovely, as is the head...thing. (Not up on names for head things). R49 is crying in the basement, as per usual. Pay no mind.

by Anonymousreply 51September 5, 2020 6:40 AM

Her first husband was gay

by Anonymousreply 52September 5, 2020 6:43 AM

She still wears her wedding ring.

by Anonymousreply 53September 5, 2020 6:45 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 5, 2020 6:46 AM

Oh, to be young again...

by Anonymousreply 55September 5, 2020 7:31 AM

Is that actually Dame Angela in the photo? I'm usually good with faces and I don't see the resemblance.

OP's pic looks a bit like the late actress Mabel Albertson( the poor man's Jessie Royce Landis)

by Anonymousreply 56September 5, 2020 8:03 AM

Just to second what's been said, MSW was a bigger hit when it aired, it got higher ratings than GG. And it's still massive over the world.

Angela won 4 Golden Globes but notoriously lost all 12 of her Emmy nominations for playing Jessica. Bea was (controversially to her!) the last of the three to win an Emmy for GG lead. Only Estelle win a Golden Globe for the show.

I read that Bea was disappointed she didn't get to be lead in Mame in 1966 but she seems to have considered Angela to be a true friend.

I'm jealous of all those who got to speak with her and have kindly shared their stories!

I saw her in Blithe Spirit in the West End 2014 (she stole the show) . Unfortunately there were lots of fans waiting at the stage door each time but she did come out and pose for photos (not selfies) and thank us for coming. Very gracious and she looked terrific.

The theatre is in London's Sohi and before Angela came out this group of drunk girls joined us at the door, yelling a version of the MSW theme, saying the thought she was dead and generally taking the piss. A bunch of us turned round and told them to FUCK OFF! They did.

by Anonymousreply 57September 5, 2020 9:43 AM

r51, we in the world of professional costuming call those...head things. Or to be more accurate...

by Anonymousreply 58September 5, 2020 1:46 PM

Her husband must have had a big uncut English schlong.

by Anonymousreply 59September 5, 2020 1:53 PM

Pretty show...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 5, 2020 1:58 PM

Paper plates? Oh my.

by Anonymousreply 61September 5, 2020 2:01 PM

She looks incredible for 94! My god!

by Anonymousreply 62September 5, 2020 2:05 PM

How did people avoid having loads of kids before the pill?

by Anonymousreply 63September 5, 2020 2:06 PM

Fuck you, r61.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 5, 2020 2:06 PM

She looks great.

by Anonymousreply 65September 5, 2020 3:49 PM

And she'll be 95 next month!

by Anonymousreply 66September 5, 2020 3:53 PM

Why is Bedknobs & Broomsticks never shown on TV? It's like it was taken out of circulation for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 67September 5, 2020 4:24 PM

Maybe Malibu Seafood? It’s a seat yourself kind of place, so she chose to sit there!

by Anonymousreply 68September 5, 2020 4:44 PM

MSW might have gathered larger ratings at the time but without question GG has surpassed it. GG is one of those weird comedies that looks to be an evergreen and I never would have expected that.

by Anonymousreply 69September 5, 2020 6:33 PM

GG attracts the gays

by Anonymousreply 70September 5, 2020 8:38 PM

[quote]Why is Bedknobs & Broomsticks never shown on TV? It's like it was taken out of circulation for some reason.

Probably because it’s so fucking long.

by Anonymousreply 71September 5, 2020 9:02 PM

[quote]Why is Bedknobs & Broomsticks never shown on TV? It's like it was taken out of circulation for some reason.

[quote]Probably because it’s so fucking long.

More likely because it's so fucking boring.

by Anonymousreply 72September 5, 2020 9:25 PM

She's a class act.

by Anonymousreply 73September 5, 2020 9:49 PM

Class act

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74September 5, 2020 10:43 PM

It's so strange how Angela's kids turned out so horrible. She must have been a terrible mother. What's the real story?

by Anonymousreply 75September 5, 2020 11:20 PM

Horrible in what way ?

by Anonymousreply 76September 5, 2020 11:38 PM

Angie eats clams in Malibu.

by Anonymousreply 77September 5, 2020 11:39 PM

For R76:

"In the latter part of the 1960s, Anthony and Deirdre became involved in the growing counterculture movement and started using recreational drugs. Deirdre developed an acquaintance with the Manson family, while Anthony became addicted to cocaine and heroin, giving it up in 1971. After recovering, Anthony became a television director, and directed 68 episodes of Murder, She Wrote, also marrying and having three children."

by Anonymousreply 78September 6, 2020 12:02 AM

She's a true national treasure. The day she dies will be a very dark day indeed.

I do wish she could have one last great film role. I remember hearing she desperately wanted the lead in Notes on a Scandal, but Dench got it. She'd have been fantastic in it.

by Anonymousreply 79September 6, 2020 12:13 AM

[quote] MSW might have gathered larger ratings at the time but without question GG has surpassed it. GG is one of those weird comedies that looks to be an evergreen and I never would have expected that.

Not worldwide. MSW is bigger.

by Anonymousreply 80September 6, 2020 12:19 AM

[quote] It's so strange how Angela's kids turned out so horrible. She must have been a terrible mother. What's the real story?

Huh? They’re fine. Her niece did a mini doc on her aunt. It’s on YouTube. They’re a close knit family.

by Anonymousreply 81September 6, 2020 12:20 AM

R67, it’s on Disney+

by Anonymousreply 82September 6, 2020 12:20 AM

She's sitting in the parking lot next to the trash snacking on something on a paper plate. Class.

by Anonymousreply 83September 6, 2020 12:54 AM

Why does her hair have a pink tint?

by Anonymousreply 84September 6, 2020 12:57 AM

Who is Angela eating with in OP's pic?

by Anonymousreply 85September 6, 2020 1:13 AM

Why is she eating out in a restaurant in the first place? She's 94 years old!

by Anonymousreply 86September 6, 2020 2:12 AM

[quote] Have you recounted this Members Only jacket return in another thread as well? (Not criticizing, I've told the same celebrity encounter stories in different threads.)

Other than sitting next to Ruth Buzzi at the counter at the Westwood Hamburger Hamlet, it's my only celebrity encounter, so yes, I'm guilty of telling the story before.

by Anonymousreply 87September 6, 2020 2:21 AM

Oops, I should've signed the above post R19 not R27

(Thanks for the kind words R28)

by Anonymousreply 88September 6, 2020 2:24 AM

Did she try and sell you a stone, r87?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89September 6, 2020 2:25 AM

I know at 94 it might be expected, but that looks like a walker next to her.

by Anonymousreply 90September 6, 2020 2:32 AM

She must have a strong immune system.

by Anonymousreply 91September 6, 2020 2:33 AM

Stamina, r91. It takes stamina to get through MAME, 8 shows a week.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92September 6, 2020 2:40 AM

That shirt is way too tight.

by Anonymousreply 93September 6, 2020 2:41 AM

Did straight guys consider Angela a GILF during the MSW days?

by Anonymousreply 94September 6, 2020 3:03 AM

R94, Pee Wee Herman had a joke that older women/younger men was the trend in Hollywood so he was making out like a bandit.....Lucy, Angela Lansbury, etc.

by Anonymousreply 95September 6, 2020 3:08 AM

Proudly display those knockers in your rockers, older famous ladies!

by Anonymousreply 96September 6, 2020 4:11 AM

I remember another thread on here about Angela liking black cock. I can't even imagine it.

by Anonymousreply 97September 6, 2020 4:16 AM

There's a cigarette lighter on the table near her phone. I think Angela used to smoke in her younger days but I doubt she smokes now at her age, so I'm guessing it's her companion's but would they really be allowed to smoke at a public dining area, even if it's out in the open?

by Anonymousreply 98September 6, 2020 4:30 AM

I can't believe that Angela is out spreading disease all over Malibu. Didn't she kill enough people in Cabot Cove to satisfy her bloodlust?

by Anonymousreply 99September 6, 2020 4:38 AM

R81, I recall Angie being upset with Barbara Walters for bringing up her kids' issues and making her cry on camera.

by Anonymousreply 100September 6, 2020 5:26 AM

R94, She had a facelift a few seasons into the MSW run.

by Anonymousreply 101September 6, 2020 5:27 AM

R101 she said in an interview she didn't like how frumpy and chubby she looked in the first season of MSW so she lost weight and had her neck tightened by surgery. She freely admits having a face-lift in 1966, before MAME opened.

R99 it was Sheriff Amos TUPPER!

R97 She starred in a controversial musical in 1970 called "PrettyBelle" where she offered herself sexually to black men. It never made it to Broadway.

R79 I completely agree. It's unlikely now but I wish she had the chance at one last great screen role. She's said the same in interviews but it looks like she's stepped back now. Notes On A Scandal would have been a magnificent role and completely subverted her public image.

R75 her two teenagers, like millions of others, got into recreational drugs in the late 60s. Her biggest failing might well have been that she was in NYC on stage a lot and didn't get to have much control over them. But then she was the bread-winner at this point. All her children turned out really well eventually and it seems they're a close family.

Angela and her husband basically gave up work for several years and took them to the middle of nowhere in Ireland until they were clean. Ironically they had a house right there in Malibu that burned down during the 1970 bush fires.

by Anonymousreply 102September 6, 2020 5:33 AM

[quote]Her first husband was gay

Richard Cromwell. He was a very well known stage and film actor. especially in the late '30s and 40s. He was several years her senior. Angela was only 19 and naive. It was the first marriage for each and lasted less than a year. She said the marriage was mistake but the two remained close friends until he died in 1960.

by Anonymousreply 103September 6, 2020 9:43 AM

Angela said Richard thought of her as the actual character she played in "The Picture Of Dorian Grey" and fell in love with her (Sybil Vane).

She and her second husband seem to have had a great, solid 55 year relationship. He became her manager later in and she got most of her family (brothers, sons, husband) involved in cash cow MSW.

by Anonymousreply 104September 6, 2020 10:03 AM

[quote]Why is she eating out in a restaurant in the first place? She's 94 years old!

People in their 90s should be stuck at home? Huh? She didn't get to 94 by sitting around.

by Anonymousreply 105September 6, 2020 11:51 AM

She sure left a lot of uneaten food on her plate.

by Anonymousreply 106September 6, 2020 1:21 PM

It was therapeutic rape, r102.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107September 6, 2020 4:14 PM

R107 lol!

by Anonymousreply 108September 6, 2020 4:16 PM

I believe she gave up smoking when she did MAME. She really would have had to to get through 8 shows a week. Whether she's smoking now...well...does it really matter?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109September 6, 2020 4:23 PM

Oh, bravo Mr. Herman. I sat here and listened to that again. Such a perfect 11:00 number. Character/plot specific, yet able to be taken out of context and used as a traditional torch song.

by Anonymousreply 110September 6, 2020 4:30 PM

Richard Cromwell said she drank tea all the time and it got on his nerves.

by Anonymousreply 111September 6, 2020 7:22 PM

WEHT that MSW reboot with Octavia Spencer?

by Anonymousreply 112September 6, 2020 8:36 PM

Her brother Bruce Lansbury produced the major portion of Wild Wild West (thank you, Bruce) as well as being producer of MSW.

by Anonymousreply 113September 6, 2020 8:51 PM

The standards here are slipping. It must be the pandemic. It's always WHET; are you new here R112?

by Anonymousreply 114September 6, 2020 9:12 PM

Her grandfather was a raving red socialist.

by Anonymousreply 115September 6, 2020 9:13 PM

[quote]WEHT that MSW reboot with Octavia Spencer?

Angie wouldn't approve it.

by Anonymousreply 116September 6, 2020 9:18 PM

Her father was a commie.

by Anonymousreply 117September 6, 2020 9:19 PM

And your mother wears army boots.

by Anonymousreply 118September 6, 2020 10:13 PM

She said in that her doctor allows her one cigar a day.

by Anonymousreply 119September 7, 2020 2:52 AM

[quote] Her grandfather was a raving red socialist.

Yes, it’s called the Labour Party, dear. What’s your point?

by Anonymousreply 120September 7, 2020 2:53 AM

[quote] WEHT that MSW reboot with Octavia Spencer?

Octavia didn’t want to end up as one of JB Fletcher’s victims.

by Anonymousreply 121September 7, 2020 2:54 AM

Angie didn't have any say in the reboot except to whine to the press that she didn't want to see it. Similar to how Merman felt about her version of Gypsy.

by Anonymousreply 122September 7, 2020 8:26 PM

Quite big tits, Eddie.

by Anonymousreply 123September 7, 2020 8:34 PM

R122, Angie badmouthed the remake of "The Manchurian Candidate" without having seen it.

by Anonymousreply 124September 7, 2020 8:38 PM

So that’s who that old dear was milling about the Mary Poppins 2 set. I had no idea. I thought she was someone’s great great grandmother just there for a lark. Of course, I never watched the film (just a favor to Rob and Disney). Come to think of it, I never saw the Manchuria Candidate I did, either.... was I merely great or simply unforgettable?

by Anonymousreply 125September 8, 2020 4:25 AM

I hope France releases season 7 of MSW on blu ray. Amazon Prime streaming only has the first 5 seasons, so I had to buy season 6 on blu ray from a French label (they had also released the first 5). I’ve gotten really into the show just in the last year. I can’t imagine ever tiring of it.

by Anonymousreply 126September 8, 2020 5:09 AM

Amazon used to have the entire series up, but now they are being stingy with what seasons go up when. It’s annoying.

by Anonymousreply 127September 8, 2020 5:55 AM

Season 6 and 7 contain the dreaded "bookend episodes" where Jessica is in less than 5 minutes and someone else solves the murder. They were a compromise to get Angela to stay on the show.

by Anonymousreply 128September 8, 2020 6:19 AM

Murder, She Wrote shouldn’t be remade. Periodt.

by Anonymousreply 129September 8, 2020 7:25 AM

Angela Lansbury is why Murder, She Wrote worked. She was playing herself. Had Jean Stapleton played the part it probably wouldn’t have lasted 12 seasons and 4 TV movies.

by Anonymousreply 130September 8, 2020 7:26 AM

She wasn't really plating herself at all but Angela freely admits the role was very easy to play and presented no real challenge.

by Anonymousreply 131September 8, 2020 7:29 AM

R10, what is a "shopbottom?"

Were there "shoptops?" I was in a few establishments in the 1980s where there were bottoms and tops, but I don't recall them at Saks, Altman's, Lord&Taylor's, or Bonwit Teller's. Perhaps at Henri Bendel?

by Anonymousreply 132September 8, 2020 8:31 AM

R131, the show creators told her to play herself. Angela wanted to make Jessica wacky with a variety of wigs. It was easy because she was playing Angela.

by Anonymousreply 133September 8, 2020 9:18 AM

They did not tell her to play herself. Angela has said they wanted an "everywoman" character that everyone could relate to. She also said she is much more reserved than Jessica.

by Anonymousreply 134September 8, 2020 9:23 AM

Who is the fool at that eatery who sat Dame Angela Landsbury next to the damned trash can?

by Anonymousreply 135September 8, 2020 9:58 AM

She is the earliest surviving to have received an Academy Award nomination.

by Anonymousreply 136September 8, 2020 9:59 AM

A couple of other tidbits. Her father, a wealthy businessman in Britain was a member of the Communist Party. And Peter Ustinov was her brother in law from 1940-1950.

by Anonymousreply 137September 8, 2020 10:04 AM

I heard that she farts alot and they are smelly.

by Anonymousreply 138September 8, 2020 11:44 AM

R135, It looks like the type of outdoor restaurant where you place your order at a window and then find yourself a table, no host or server involved.

by Anonymousreply 139September 8, 2020 1:20 PM

Poor Angela. Best known to the general public for her TV work but 18 Emmy nominations and never won.

by Anonymousreply 140September 8, 2020 1:44 PM

R135, Tony Awards mean nothing in Malibu.

by Anonymousreply 141September 8, 2020 2:51 PM

No one cares about that, R140.

by Anonymousreply 142September 8, 2020 3:14 PM

I thought she had 19 nominations?

She also has 7 Golden Globes and a Grammy.

by Anonymousreply 143September 8, 2020 5:58 PM

Bea and Angie were friends the whole time. Bea did often say she wished she had a chance to play Mame. She wore black in the 'Bosom Buddies' scene whereas Angela wore white because it was a joke: Mame just came back from her husband' funeral, Vera was in mourning and Mame was showing that life goes on. It's a very funny moment. Remember with Roz in the film AUNTIE MAME when she finally turns around (wearing black) and has a Huge rose stuck in the bottom of her low-cut dress ? Very funny. Life Does go on !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144September 8, 2020 6:27 PM

R131 / MSW-Troll. All this time, I thought "MSW" referred to Masters in Social Work. Does your MSW actually stand for Murder, She Wrote? TIA.

by Anonymousreply 145September 8, 2020 6:32 PM

yes, r145, and did you know TIA means Total Idiot Analysis?

by Anonymousreply 146September 8, 2020 6:36 PM

The stage version of Auntie Mame was even more outrageous with Mame's mourning dress. When she turned around at the end of the scene, the dress was cut so low in the back that it showed the top of her ass crack. Of course that couldn't be filmed back then so they did the rose gimmick but it wasn't the same.

by Anonymousreply 147September 8, 2020 7:08 PM

Barbra Streisand wanted to direct a TV version of Mame starring Cher, but it never happened for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 148September 8, 2020 7:17 PM

Haha yes R145 it's for Murder, She Wrote! I swear I don't start all the threads about it though!

by Anonymousreply 149September 8, 2020 7:22 PM

R148, Do they even know each other?

by Anonymousreply 150September 8, 2020 8:02 PM

I think MAME with Barbra and Cher as Vera Charles would have been a hoot.

by Anonymousreply 151September 9, 2020 7:26 AM

I love her, I don't know why. I would never approach her.

by Anonymousreply 152September 9, 2020 7:44 AM

[quote] They did not tell her to play herself.

Yes, they did.

by Anonymousreply 153September 9, 2020 9:12 AM

The creators told her they wanted Angela Lansbury, not a wacky character. This was told to her face. The creator even has a book.

by Anonymousreply 154September 9, 2020 9:13 AM

When her All in the Family contract was up, Jean Stapleton declined to renew. But she was a very popular performer and CBS commissioned several projects for her to keep her at CBS. Murder She Wrote was one of them. There was a script for a pilot episode and Stapleton was interested but wanted changes. A second script was written but in the end, she turned it down.

The script was then shopped around to a number of well known names and Angela was the first star to say yes. Initially, she felt obliged to go with the producers opinions and played a rustically dressed woman in a small town but as the show went on, her opinions became more and more important and by the time the show ended she was playing a very glamorously dressed woman living in Manhattan.

jean

by Anonymousreply 155September 9, 2020 9:45 AM

^ The "jean" at the end of my post above was an editing error. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 156September 9, 2020 9:53 AM

The show was a hit from the beginning but as the seasons went on it was apparent from surveys and polls that audiences were more interested in seeing Angela as opposed to a generic lady detective/writer. So she was given more and more producer's credits and creative control. Just to keep her on, the last 3 or 4 seasons were produced by her own production company, headed mostly by members of her family, giving her complete control.

by Anonymousreply 157September 9, 2020 10:06 AM

Doris Day was also offered the role.

by Anonymousreply 158September 9, 2020 10:15 AM

In addition to MSW and "The Graduate", what else did Doris pass on?

by Anonymousreply 159September 9, 2020 11:01 AM

I wonder why Jean Stapleton turned down MSW? It seems if she handled it correctly, it would have broadened her profile and people would have thought of her as more than just wacky Edith Bunker.

by Anonymousreply 160September 9, 2020 9:44 PM

R148 Gary talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 161September 9, 2020 10:09 PM

Angela was in Malibu. Did she meet-up with Caitlyn Jenner for lunch? Caitlyn may have been busy with her new cooking show.

by Anonymousreply 162September 9, 2020 10:52 PM

I want to smell a 94 year old pussy.

by Anonymousreply 163September 10, 2020 12:00 AM

You know, Jean Stapleton would have been great in MSW. Probably better than Angela.

by Anonymousreply 164September 10, 2020 5:57 AM

Lol R164 no one knows who she is. And no one would have been better than Angie. She is Jessica!

by Anonymousreply 165September 10, 2020 6:04 AM

Everyone knew who Jean Stapleton was at the time, idiot. She was a television icon.

by Anonymousreply 166September 10, 2020 6:07 AM

Not here in the UK she wasn't. Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 167September 10, 2020 6:09 AM

^^Girls, girls! You’re BOTH ignorant cows!

by Anonymousreply 168September 10, 2020 8:50 AM

Well she shouldn't have said that Edith Bunked would have made a better Jessica Fletcher than Dame Angela!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169September 10, 2020 8:54 AM

[quote]I wonder why Jean Stapleton turned down MSW? It seems if she handled it correctly, it would have broadened her profile and people would have thought of her as more than just wacky Edith Bunker.

She told them she didn't understand it. The creators said that she had just lost her husband and was obviously going through things.

by Anonymousreply 170September 10, 2020 9:13 AM

How would Angela have been playing Edith Bunker?

by Anonymousreply 171September 10, 2020 11:50 AM

R171 I'm sure she would have tired of it soon. Angie didn't want to keep doing MSW and had to be talked back each year. It was only in the last 5 or so years when she had creative control and the show was employing most of her family that she wanted to keep it going.

In the beginning Jessica was in almost every scene and it was a gruelling 7-day shooting schedule. Angela eventually got an 8-day shoot after she threatened to go off sick.

In the last few years when she was a producer and her company, Corymore, was making the show Jessica appeared less on screen, it had less prestigious guest stars and it became very "90s".

I think she said once she needed to see some challenge in the character in order to take it on. Plus in the early 70s she was living in Ireland and wasn't thinking about TV. I believe she deliberately sought TV work in the 80s for financial security.

by Anonymousreply 172September 10, 2020 4:17 PM

R172, A half hour, three camera, "live" audience, ensemble cast show would have been much less work for Angela than MSW.

by Anonymousreply 173September 10, 2020 4:30 PM

[quote]A half hour, three camera, "live" audience, ensemble cast show would have been much less work for Angela than MSW.

This would have been really fun. They could have set Angela up as a Park Avenue doyenne trying to make it on Broadway. Think of all the Broadway talent they could have run through that show.

by Anonymousreply 174September 10, 2020 4:50 PM

They sat her near the rubbish bin! That’s what I was thinking! What restaurant was this?

R45 My favorite Malibu hangout!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175September 10, 2020 5:00 PM

I like having nice tits.

I like having tits in a nice heliotrope shirt.

by Anonymousreply 176September 10, 2020 5:02 PM

In 1984 Angela had her agent look for a well paid TV role for her. Initially the scripts were crap. Angela herself said she was "pissed off" this is what they thought of her.

She rightly complained and after some better offers was finally was torn between a half-hour sitcom and MSW.

She was more interested in the "Jessica" character as something she could "do something with" and signed on to MSW.

by Anonymousreply 177September 10, 2020 7:18 PM

There used to be a story that Lucille Ball had considered MSW. I can't imagine her in the role. Did she want Gale Gordon for the Tom Bosley role?

by Anonymousreply 178September 10, 2020 7:46 PM

Groundbreaking post...imagine, someone eating lunch.

by Anonymousreply 179September 10, 2020 8:29 PM

R179 not just anyone

by Anonymousreply 180September 10, 2020 9:29 PM

She had the clam roll.

by Anonymousreply 181September 10, 2020 9:46 PM

DEUCE was horrendous.

Angela and Bea were close right up until Bea died; I recall Angela calling in to Larry King Live when Bea died (I think?) and saying she was sad, but relieved that "Bea was finally no longer in pain." That's always stayed with me; I find it very moving. And I'm sad when I think of Bea being in pain. (Yes, I'm gay.)

More context on the development of MSW: I recall that Helen Hayes had done a few Miss Marple TV movies in the early 80s, including A CARIBBEAN MYSTERY (a book I loved) and they did very well, ratings-wise. So there was thought to be an audience for an on-going show like MSW, and sure enough, there was. I did not know that Lucy had been approached--that would have been so odd.

by Anonymousreply 182September 10, 2020 9:51 PM

Those prices for Malibu Seafood restaurant are awfully steep, considering you eat outside and on paper plates with plastic forks.

by Anonymousreply 183September 11, 2020 12:38 AM

The Golden Girls is a beloved TV comedy classic.

Murder She Wrote is mildly entertaining garbage with a rather bland performance by Dame Angie (there's a reason she never won an Emmy for that dreck).

But, Angie made a shit ton more money from MSW than Bea did from GG.

by Anonymousreply 184September 11, 2020 1:26 AM

Does Angie loathe Tyne Daly and Sharon Gless for their Emmy wins?

by Anonymousreply 185September 11, 2020 1:28 AM

Folks, the only way you can eat at a restaurant in LA right now is outside. So restaurants have made do and put tables and chairs everywhere they can. The fact that she's sitting by a garbage can only means that that was the table available.

by Anonymousreply 186September 11, 2020 1:28 AM

MSW was a hit because there was a ton of senior citizens in the 1980s with nothing but time on their hands to watch it. Seriously, the 1980s was the first decade where senior citizens made themselves known. That's why Angie's workout videos were so popular. The old ladies watched because they wanted to look like Angie and the old men watched because they thought, "I'd hit that."

by Anonymousreply 187September 11, 2020 1:31 AM

Angela can’t do comedy

by Anonymousreply 188September 11, 2020 1:36 AM

R187, It also had a superb time slot, Sunday at 8:00 PM, following "60 Minutes".

by Anonymousreply 189September 11, 2020 2:00 AM

What did Angie think of Bea shitting on Betty’s dressing room floor?

by Anonymousreply 190September 11, 2020 2:08 AM

Is that little blue thing next to her mostly uneaten plate a cigarette lighter, too? What’s with all the smoking ?! An excuse your mask below your chin? Very bizarre, especially since she’s 94. The air quality in Malibu fucking sucks, as well. Those chem trails are insane - are they still doing them there?

by Anonymousreply 191September 11, 2020 2:38 AM

Actually, now that I think of it, maybe she’s seated next to the garbage can because that is the smoking section. A lot of restaurants with outdoor dining have a smoking section allocated, especially in rich areas/fancier restaurants. It’s astonishing what percentage of the rich and famous smoke.

by Anonymousreply 192September 11, 2020 2:41 AM

[quote]Very bizarre, especially since she’s 94.

Elaine Stritch started drinking again when she became elderly. I think these old broads say, "I've sacrificed for many years. Hell with it, I'm just going to do whatever I want." Olivia de Havilland was suing people at 104 years old.

by Anonymousreply 193September 11, 2020 2:41 AM

[quote]More context on the development of MSW: I recall that Helen Hayes had done a few Miss Marple TV movies in the early 80s, including A CARIBBEAN MYSTERY (a book I loved) and they did very well, ratings-wise. So there was thought to be an audience for an on-going show like MSW, and sure enough, there was.

Angela played Miss Marple in 1980's The Mirror Crack'd. Considering the amount of high priced talent both onscreen and behind the camera, it should have been a smash but it wasn't. Plans for two more Marple films with her were canceled.

by Anonymousreply 194September 11, 2020 3:25 AM

She was in too few few scenes in The Mirror Crack'd. Most of the attention was given to Elizabeth and Rock, which is weird for a Miss Marple mystery. It's not her greatest movie but you can see the seed of MSW in it and Kim Novak doing high camp is fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 195September 11, 2020 5:58 AM

Angie did "A Talent For Murder" in the early 80s with Lawrence Olivier which had the germs of MSW in it.

As pointed out, the TV Chanel found (by accident) that they got good ratings when they showed an old Marple movie in that time slot and that lead them to commission a similar Detective series which wouldn't be too violent or offensive.

With regards to Emmys, Angela has said she knew there was no way to compete with actresses who were playing characters fighting addictions, cancer, rape, abuse etc as their writing obviously provided a lot more acting opportunities. She suggested there should have been a separate category for these "lighter" shows.

R184 that "dreck" is still one of the most watched series around the world and for the most part was fairly well written, acted and was entertaining. It wasn't pretending to be an innovative or daring show.

R187 not true. It had fairly decent demographics with whole families watching it together on a Sunday night, at least in the 80s. It finished at least 10 out of 12 seasons in the top 10 for ratings. Even today there are many University students and other young people who watch it religiously in afternoon reruns.

R188 Angela is brilliant at comedy. Death On The Nile, Something For Everyone, Mrs 'Arris Goes To Paris etc. Even in clips of Sweeney Todd she's very funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196September 11, 2020 9:14 AM

R196, Laurence, not Lawrence.

by Anonymousreply 197September 11, 2020 10:02 AM

I didn't know The-MSW-Troll stood for Murder She Wrote troll either, R145, ignore the cranky old biddy at R146.

by Anonymousreply 198September 11, 2020 10:44 AM

R187, I worked at CBS when MSW was on the air and I can say that their older demographics were a huge problem. They got ratings but the sponsors didn't like who was watching. To say they skewed old is an understatement, hence all those old timey performers who appeared, similar to The Love Boat.

As for families watching MSW today, I'd like to know what country you're from. That is absolutely not the case in the States. Those fiction murder stories have been completed replaced with reenactment shows like Forensic Files or Dateline.

by Anonymousreply 199September 11, 2020 8:47 PM

If you watch the first few episodes of MSW, Angie thought she was still acting on a Broadway stage and her hammy performance didn't work at all. Studio execs had a word with Ms. Lansbury and told her to take it down a notch.

Neither Angela nor Bea are good actresses. They are personalities that connected with audiences.

by Anonymousreply 200September 11, 2020 9:01 PM

"Waiter, give me another Golden-what-have-you"

by Anonymousreply 201September 11, 2020 9:04 PM

R199 I meant in the 80s families watched it together on Sunday nights.

I do realise that part of the reason they dumped it on Thursday nights was because it didn't make enough from advertisers and they wanted to kill the show

by Anonymousreply 202September 11, 2020 9:08 PM

Even in clips of Sweeney Todd she's very funny.

She was absolutely brilliant in Sweeney Todd, as she was pretty much in everything she did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203September 11, 2020 9:16 PM

And this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204September 11, 2020 9:22 PM

R200 We 're all entitled to our opinions of art and artists and it's all very subjective but when you state that Angela Lansbury and Bea Arthur aren't good actresses only personalities that connect with an audience, that pretty much tells me you're an idiot with terrible taste and lousy opinions.

If anyone is suggesting Angela Lansbury isn't a good comedian, they're also an idiot.

I will say this again: Angela was very boring on MSW which I've never been a fan of despite being a huge fan of mystery shows. It was bland, formulaic and very contrived. I know people appreciate it for those cheesy values but it has zero charm for me. That said, I still think Angela Lansbury is terrific in roles well suited for her talents, either as cold hearted monsters (Manchurian Candidate) or loopy hams (Mame, Death on the Nile) or combos of the two (Sweeney Todd) which is more ham than monster. In roles requiring her to be sweet and twinkly or the "straight man", she's very fake.

by Anonymousreply 205September 11, 2020 10:17 PM

Lansbury’s performance as Rose in Gypsy, which I saw many times, was about the best stage work I have ever seen. Growing up in Boston I saw her on stage several times; also saw her later stage work when my partner and I moved to New York. Simply put, she is my stage performer and, off topic, her Honorary Academy Award was more than well-deserved

by Anonymousreply 206September 12, 2020 12:29 AM

That Oscar number is proof why Lansbury never had a career as a movie leading actress. Her avuncular face aside, she really does live up to John Simon's unflattering description of a bisected androgyne, male on top, female on bottom. There was a very odd look that worked onstage but was not for closeups.

by Anonymousreply 207September 12, 2020 2:09 AM

"John Simon's unflattering description" is redundant. Fortunately Lansbury has lived long enough to spit on vitriolic Simon's grave.

by Anonymousreply 208September 12, 2020 2:18 AM

R208, you mean drool on his grave?

At any rate, Lansbury does look like a female impersonator in that TMM number.

by Anonymousreply 209September 12, 2020 2:39 AM

Whatever, R209. Simon was vile in all ways. Come to think of it, I meant urinate.

by Anonymousreply 210September 12, 2020 2:51 AM

R210, Guess that would be easier since she's added Depends to her wardrobe.

And sorry but Lansbury really does give off tranny vibes in that number. It has zero sex appeal except to her gay fans.

by Anonymousreply 211September 12, 2020 3:52 AM

R207, I remember Angie's BFF, Rex Reed, raving about her Oscar appearance, writing that she returned to Hollywood and spit in their faces.

by Anonymousreply 212September 12, 2020 4:07 AM

Eldergays, tell me did Angela get standing ovations for her performance as Mrs Lovett ?

by Anonymousreply 213September 12, 2020 4:19 AM

R211 et al, kindly fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 214September 12, 2020 8:26 AM

Come on. Y’all had to laugh, as did everyone, when the old nosy busybody Jessica Fletcher took over a case on MSW. She’d demand to see the files. The police in charge should have said - get the fuck out of here you old battleaxe.

by Anonymousreply 215September 12, 2020 8:26 AM

Don't anger the lady, she knows hundreds of ways to murder someone.

by Anonymousreply 216September 12, 2020 8:29 AM

What I dudnt like about later episodes of MSW was that Jessica was hired by "New York University" to teach a course in Criminology when she had no formal training and also that Jess became much more brazen about inserting herself into investigations that, ostensibly, had little to do with her.

At least in the earlier episodes she was either unwilling drawn in, could see the investigators needed a hand or someone/herself was being wrongly accused. Later on it was more Jessica acting like a senior Cop.

by Anonymousreply 217September 12, 2020 8:37 AM

Check out my bosoms, you freaks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218September 12, 2020 8:42 AM

She has the nice titties.

by Anonymousreply 219September 12, 2020 9:17 AM

R43 I HATE dust collectors, and wouldn't ever own any of those annoying Funko things, but I didn't know they'd created a Jessica Fletcher version. This is pretty great!

by Anonymousreply 220September 12, 2020 10:30 AM

R205 - Shows like MSW, Matlock, Diagnosis Murder, etc., were formulated to be comfort food TV viewing for a certain demographic. They were going for ratings, not Emmys. And Angela did very fine work in "straight" roles, like Mavis Pruitt in Dark at the Top of the Stairs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221September 12, 2020 1:42 PM

r207 - Given she shrewdly went the character actress route early on, her close-ups are just fine. She's what I call "character actress pretty". On stage, they can approximate beauty and on film they can get as far as pretty. Sandy Dennis, Geraldine Page, Kim Stanley, etc. Having said that, she would not have been the ideal film MAME. But MAME wasn't going to work no matter who they cast.

by Anonymousreply 222September 12, 2020 1:58 PM

[quote]Are those things real?

Yes. And they are real bosom buddies.

by Anonymousreply 223September 12, 2020 2:35 PM

Sorry, but this is horrendous. And she was only about 40.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224September 12, 2020 5:59 PM

I thought she would have made a terrific "Eve" alongside Bette Davis.

by Anonymousreply 225September 12, 2020 7:06 PM

Agreed, R225, as would Jean Simmons. Lansbury also could have excelled in Separate Tables as either the spinster daughter or the hotelkeeper.

by Anonymousreply 226September 12, 2020 8:38 PM

Angela wasn't a strong enough actress to play Eve.

by Anonymousreply 227September 12, 2020 8:52 PM

Why do DLers always insist on recasting every movie role? She's good enough to play anything but not pretty enough to play everything.

by Anonymousreply 228September 12, 2020 9:10 PM

R227 she was a much stringer actress than Anne Baxter

by Anonymousreply 229September 12, 2020 9:10 PM

R229, But I have an Oscar, cunt. And mine was won, not some mercy honorary gesture.

by Anonymousreply 230September 12, 2020 9:18 PM

They didn't come any stringer than Miss Baxter, r229.

by Anonymousreply 231September 13, 2020 12:34 AM

Angela is less attractive version of Kaye Ballard.

by Anonymousreply 232September 13, 2020 12:41 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233September 13, 2020 1:45 AM

The toothache scene

by Anonymousreply 234September 13, 2020 1:55 AM

Link, R1. I know she took off some weight early on because she didn't like the way she looked at first. Have seen nothing about breast implants. That's a tight sweater. She wore a lot of jackets and cardigans on MSW.

by Anonymousreply 235September 13, 2020 2:02 AM

Angela and friend, S.S.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236September 13, 2020 2:12 AM

Many of the European/Irish/British episodes were done when she had creative control. Her son was developing a problem with drugs and she moved to Ireland to get him out of the California drug scene. I thought she had good stars on throughout the series. Before she got control she has talked about how she thought the series was going downhill in terms of quality. I thought she knew a lot of people theater work plus she brought back a lot of the older actors with whom she had worked on films in the past. Her ratings were always decent, but CBS wanted a younger demographic.

by Anonymousreply 237September 13, 2020 2:45 AM

I fucked Angela Lansbury off the coast of Malibu in her ASS one whole summer.

by Anonymousreply 238September 13, 2020 2:48 AM

It's funny - I've probably walked past or eaten next to many aged celebrities, but I just don't notice them because of their advanced age.

by Anonymousreply 239September 13, 2020 2:52 AM

R239 is Olivia deHavilland.

by Anonymousreply 240September 13, 2020 2:54 AM

Was.

by Anonymousreply 241September 13, 2020 5:49 AM

R241, At long last!

by Anonymousreply 242September 13, 2020 5:55 AM

When Angie takes off her bra, dem titties fall right to the floor.

by Anonymousreply 243September 13, 2020 4:46 PM

Thank you for sharing, r243.

by Anonymousreply 244September 13, 2020 4:53 PM

[quote]Angela and friend, S.S.

Is she using her tit to prop up Sondheim's saggy moob?

by Anonymousreply 245September 13, 2020 5:00 PM

Patricia Routledge was the first choice for Sweeney Todd. If she had taken the role, how would that have affected Angela's career. Would Angela even have been offered MSW? Routledge (after Keeping Up Appearances) did her own detective show in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 246September 13, 2020 6:32 PM

R237, her son developed the drug problem when she was in Mame.

by Anonymousreply 247September 13, 2020 6:52 PM

That was one new window he should *not* have opened.

by Anonymousreply 248September 13, 2020 6:55 PM

I wonder if he sang "We Need A Little Christmas" while snorting coke?

by Anonymousreply 249September 13, 2020 6:57 PM

He was trying to be three dimensional.

by Anonymousreply 250September 13, 2020 8:34 PM

R246 I love Patricia and would have loved her to even have done the London transfer. Great actress.

I very much doubt it would have affected Angela's career. She was already a big star of Broadway and consciously put herself out there for a TV show. The MSW creators said they were ecstatic she agreed to the show as they dudnt think they could get her.

I think her playing Miss Marple also helped.

by Anonymousreply 251September 14, 2020 12:37 AM

Why in heaven's name did Routledge turn down Sweeny Todd?

by Anonymousreply 252September 14, 2020 2:31 AM

Wasn't her cuppa tea, r252.

by Anonymousreply 253September 14, 2020 2:35 AM

[quote]Many of the European/Irish/British episodes were done when she had creative control. Her son was developing a problem with drugs and she moved to Ireland to get him out of the California drug scene.

Her son and her daughter developed their drug problems in the late 60s/early 70s. The daughter was also running in Manson adjacent circles. The family moved to Ireland in the early 70s, 10 or 12 years before MSW and by which time the family problems were pretty much resolved.

Routledge turned down Sweeney Todd for two reasons. She had been living in the US for several years but had just permanently moved back to England when the part was offered. She wasn't interested in uprooting herself again. But she also told Prince and Sondheim that she found the material distasteful. That's probably correct because when she was offered the first London production, she turned that down too.

by Anonymousreply 254September 14, 2020 2:41 AM

[quote]Why in heaven's name did Routledge turn down Sweeny Todd?

She said in an interview one time that she grew up hearing about the Sweeney Todd tale, that people would tell her "if you're bad that he would get you and kill you". She said it disturbed her too much and she didn't want to think about that.

by Anonymousreply 255September 14, 2020 2:46 AM

This thread is hilarious.

So many posters scandalized by Dame Lansbury daring to eat outside at her age; that she's possibly a smoker; that she's seated near a trash can; that she's eating off plastic plates; that she has a huge rack.

by Anonymousreply 256September 14, 2020 2:48 AM

[quote] The daughter was also running in Manson adjacent circles.

Angela moved her kids to Ireland because it was out of reach of the US authorities and she didn't want her children to be questioned by the police or testify in the Manson trial.

by Anonymousreply 257September 14, 2020 2:49 AM

Angela Lansbury is a lecherous, angry, unprofessional drunk. That's well known. A lot of ugly women in showbusiness end up that way.

by Anonymousreply 258September 14, 2020 2:50 AM

Patricia can sing ?

by Anonymousreply 259September 14, 2020 3:22 AM

[quote]Patricia can sing ?

She was in the Kevin Kline "Pirates of Penzance" and at least two Broadway musicals, one of which she won a Tony Award for. She played Nettie in the London revival of Carousel and sang "You'll Never Walk Alone."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260September 14, 2020 3:26 AM

Routledge had a wonderful trained singing voice. Her mezzo voice was exceptional and she did many musicals.

by Anonymousreply 261September 14, 2020 3:50 AM

She was in Bernstein's 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

by Anonymousreply 262September 14, 2020 6:04 AM

R247 Angela's the inspiration for mame-ograms.

by Anonymousreply 263September 14, 2020 6:30 AM

The picture @R3 is fascinating to me if only for the person who created it. Like someone actually sat there and picked out tits solely to create a really, really bad PS.

by Anonymousreply 264September 14, 2020 6:52 AM

Does Angela have anyone to fondle her titties at 94 years old? I hope so!!

by Anonymousreply 265September 14, 2020 9:37 AM

Why did she lose the Oscar on 62? Did she commiserate with Bette afterwards?

by Anonymousreply 266September 14, 2020 4:59 PM

Bump, lady lumps

by Anonymousreply 267September 14, 2020 9:25 PM

R266, Here's Angie losing the Oscar to Patty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268September 14, 2020 11:25 PM

R260's clip is from Joseph Papp's Public Theater production of The Pirates of Penzance in Central Park in 1980. The show was such a hit there that the production transferred to Broadway, where it had a long run. Although both productions were videotaped, in 1983 a commercial film was made and all the original cast repeated their roles except for Routledge, who either wasn't interested or wasn't available. Guess who replaced her in the film?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269September 15, 2020 5:24 AM

Wait. I saw the Pirates of Penzance on Broadway with Linda Ronstadt, Kevin Kline and Rex Smith. Are you telling me Ruth was Patricia Routledge? I had no idea.

by Anonymousreply 270September 15, 2020 7:24 AM

No, r270, read the signature: "—Yes, I know Estelle Parsons replaced Routledge on Broadway."

by Anonymousreply 271September 15, 2020 3:04 PM

[quote]Wait. I saw the Pirates of Penzance on Broadway with Linda Ronstadt, Kevin Kline and Rex Smith. Are you telling me Ruth was Patricia Routledge? I had no idea.

Routledge only did it at the beginning, before it moved to Broadway. It started out playing in Central Park and that's the production that Routledge was in.

[quote]all the original cast repeated their roles except for Routledge, who either wasn't interested or wasn't available.

Routledge had returned to London. I think she had already committed to working on the original production of"Noises Off" where she played Dotty. It's a shame that she couldn't be in the Pirates movie version because that really would have boosted her profile as an actress, but I can understand wanting to work on a new farce.

by Anonymousreply 272September 15, 2020 4:02 PM

"Replaced her on Broadway" could mean that Routledge started the run and was replaced by Parsons later.

by Anonymousreply 273September 15, 2020 11:56 PM

She really aged well for an Irish woman. Not like those hideous Kennedy skanks.

by Anonymousreply 274September 16, 2020 12:02 AM

What last great movie role would have been terrific for her in the 90s - 10s?

by Anonymousreply 275September 19, 2020 11:52 AM

R275, Sharon Stone’s role in Basic Instinct.

by Anonymousreply 276September 19, 2020 12:22 PM

Away From Her

by Anonymousreply 277September 19, 2020 12:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!