Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Walt Whitman: Cancelled!

Rutgers University has been asked to remove a statue of Walt Whitman, who was opposed to Black voting rights. D’Erica Boskie, who began the petition, stated: “I believe that the statue of Walt Whitman glorifies a man who we should not hold such a place of honor on our campus.” More recent reports showed 3,700 signatures for the petition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 5, 2020 6:38 PM

The lunatic is carried at last to the asylum a confirm'd case.

by Anonymousreply 1September 5, 2020 12:05 AM

Uh oh. Tearing down a statue of a gay man? Time to mobilize.

by Anonymousreply 2September 5, 2020 12:35 AM

Good, he should be cancelled

by Anonymousreply 3September 5, 2020 12:37 AM

And then they were all rounded up and murdered. No one helped them because they were afraid of what the Mob would do to them, too.

by Anonymousreply 4September 5, 2020 12:51 AM

Sheer lunacy.

by Anonymousreply 5September 5, 2020 12:56 AM

I have a copy of his poems in my apartment. Will the Woke Stasi come for me after the Revolution?

by Anonymousreply 6September 5, 2020 12:56 AM

Homophobia, plain and simple. The only white lives that matter are the gay and lesbian ones. This is a hate crime.

by Anonymousreply 7September 5, 2020 1:04 AM

It should be replaced by a gold 20-foot-high two-headed statue of Sylvia and Marsha, who started all LGBTQSDZI rights!

by Anonymousreply 8September 5, 2020 1:10 AM

Walt was known to visit wounded soldiers in the hospital late at night during the Civil War and orally service them in their beds.

by Anonymousreply 9September 5, 2020 1:10 AM

My cousin thinks he is the reincarnation of Walt Whitman. He has many crazy ideas.

by Anonymousreply 10September 5, 2020 1:49 AM

R9 were these wounded willing?

by Anonymousreply 11September 5, 2020 1:55 AM

It really is a crappy mall ,OP

by Anonymousreply 12September 5, 2020 1:59 AM

Fine - well, I want all black heroes and ministers who have been against gay marriage and gay rights to be taken down and cancelled.

See how that works?

by Anonymousreply 13September 5, 2020 2:02 AM

Did he invent the Sampler? I like the nougat.

by Anonymousreply 14September 5, 2020 2:32 AM

WE TWO BOYS TOGETHER CLINGING

We two boys together clinging

One the other never leaving

Up and down the roads going, North and South excursions making,

Power enjoying, elbows stretching, fingers clutching,

Arm'd and fearless, eating, drinking, sleeping, loving,

No law less than ourselves owning, sailing, soldiering, thieving, threatening,

Misers, menials, priests alarming, air breathing, water drinking, on the turf or the sea-beach dancing,

Cities wrenching, ease scorning, statutes mocking, feebleness chasing,

Fulfilling our foray.

by Anonymousreply 15September 5, 2020 3:25 AM

Well, sometimes life is like a box of chocolate assholes.

by Anonymousreply 16September 5, 2020 3:31 AM

Probably we should burn all his works, as a society. Just to be on the safe side. No great loss. Everything will be more just and equal then.

by Anonymousreply 17September 5, 2020 10:59 AM

I thought he would be cancelled for writing a beautiful elegy for that vile racist Lincoln /s/

I cease from my song for thee,

From my gaze on thee in the west, fronting the west, communing with thee,

O comrade lustrous with silver face in the night.

Yet each to keep and all, retrievements out of the night,

The song, the wondrous chant of the gray-brown bird,

And the tallying chant, the echo arous’d in my soul,

With the lustrous and drooping star with the countenance full of woe,

With the holders holding my hand nearing the call of the bird,

Comrades mine and I in the midst, and their memory ever to keep, for the dead I loved so well,

For the sweetest, wisest soul of all my days and lands—and this for his dear sake,

Lilac and star and bird twined with the chant of my soul,

There in the fragrant pines and the cedars dusk and dim.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 5, 2020 11:07 AM

These protestors must have been smoking lots of grass to think of something this nutty. You might say they were smoking leaves of grass.

by Anonymousreply 19September 5, 2020 11:11 AM

Sheer insanity.

by Anonymousreply 20September 5, 2020 11:17 AM

Cancel the protesters. No one cancels a gay man and gets away with it.

by Anonymousreply 21September 5, 2020 11:23 AM

This article is from June.

Does anyone have follow-up information?

by Anonymousreply 22September 5, 2020 11:35 AM

WTAF?

What was his crime, other than being white?

by Anonymousreply 23September 5, 2020 11:41 AM

Heterosexuality is wrong. This is why. Fucking fascists.

by Anonymousreply 24September 5, 2020 11:49 AM

R18, posting canceled poetry is literal violence ! You are now on the suspect list.

by Anonymousreply 25September 5, 2020 12:50 PM

Colleges will always be filled with young adults with some axe to grind and who, when they feel empowered with their voice, get drunk with power and think they can demand anything.

It's a learning process for them - but it doesn't mean the universities should bend to them and allow them to make these decisions. They are temporary students - they don't own the college or university anymore than any previous or future student.

And one more - why is it that there are no protests to remove the men who blocked women's suffrage, access to university, or women's equality? Cuz that's gonna be a long list.

by Anonymousreply 26September 5, 2020 6:18 PM

Because women are the ...

You know.

by Anonymousreply 27September 5, 2020 6:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!