Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"I'll Do Anything" (1994) or How Not To Make A Movie Musical

per Wiki:

[quote]Originally I'll Do Anything was conceived and filmed by James L. Brooks as an old-fashioned movie musical and parody of "Hollywood lifestyles and movie clichés", costing $40 million. It featured songs by Carole King, Prince, and Sinéad O'Connor, among others, with choreography by Twyla Tharp. When preview audience reactions to the music were overwhelmingly negative, all production numbers from the film were cut and Brooks wrote several new scenes, filming them over three days and spent seven weeks editing the film. Brooks noted: "Something like this not only tries one's soul - it threatens one's soul." He later said of the film,

[quote]I conceived the story as a musical because musicals have a heightened sense of reality. Through song you can get closer to the truth. But even before I had any music I believed I had a complete script. I wrote it like any script. As far as the music was concerned, I only knew where I wanted the songs to go. [...] The point is that with or without musical numbers, the story worked.

Who's seen it? Allegedly, there's a cut of the film with some of the musical numbers intact.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 5, 2020 5:14 PM

per Wiki:

[quote]One of the original songs meant to be performed in the film is heard during the closing credits and is included on the soundtrack album released by Varèse Sarabande, along with four instrumental tracks by the film's composer, Hans Zimmer. While other versions of songs penned by Prince resurfaced on some of his later projects, Girl 6 and The Vault: Old Friends 4 Sale, none of the actual performances from the movie were ever officially released.

Although James L. Brooks has mentioned he would like to release a director's cut restoring the musical numbers and including a making-of documentary, that project has yet to come to fruition. The film's commercially released version is available on DVD.

In a 2013 interview, Zimmer said that a release of the musical version is unlikely: "The deal structure on those songs was so complicated and so expensive, and it would cost so much money in rights to put it out.”

In an interview on Off Camera with Sam Jones, Jackson Browne stated that his song "I'll Do Anything", released on the 1993 album I'm Alive was originally written to be the title song for the movie. It was to be a comedic song sung by Albert Brooks where he is begging a test audience to favorably review his latest film.

by Anonymousreply 1September 4, 2020 6:37 PM

I saw this film about five years ago on cable. Yet another terrible '90s film. Nick Nolte did another bomb in 1994, I Love Trouble, with Julia Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 2September 4, 2020 6:45 PM

Can someone explain why/how Nick Nolte was still a thing in the 1990s?

He was hot looking for about 10 minutes in the 70s. He's not a very good actor.

by Anonymousreply 3September 4, 2020 6:52 PM

I learned about this film listening to the "You Must Remember This" podcasts about Polly Platt.

It sounded like an ill-conceived disaster from the start. It was just an odd idea to just plug in songs -- sung by actors who couldn't sing.

by Anonymousreply 4September 4, 2020 7:19 PM

He was very good in "Prince of Tides", but I mainly remember him for "Rich Man, Poor Man" which I thought Peter Strauss was just as good, but he kind of disappeared within a few years.

by Anonymousreply 5September 4, 2020 7:21 PM

Here is the Carole King song that was cut:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 4, 2020 7:23 PM

I saw it in a theater. I was in a mall, tired and it was warm. It didn't make a lot of sense. Very choppy and poorly edited. Not sure whose fault. I recalled previews and thought it was going to be a musical. Tracey Ullman's character seemed like she had a tremendous backstory but it was only a cameo.

by Anonymousreply 7September 5, 2020 1:03 AM

Thanks, R6. That was truly terrible!

by Anonymousreply 8September 5, 2020 1:14 AM

I can’t believe there’s a James L. Brooks/Twyla Tharp/Prince musical and we can’t see it. Zach Snyder's Justice League is a cause celebré but this gets lost to the ages.

by Anonymousreply 9September 5, 2020 1:19 AM

I just listened to that podcast, R4. Fascinating.

James Brooks sounds like he had no clue what he was doing whatsoever.

And producer Polly Platt HATED the Twyla Tharp choreography. I respect Tharp, but when she's gotten it wrong, she's dead wrong.

by Anonymousreply 10September 5, 2020 1:23 AM

[quote]And producer Polly Platt HATED the Twyla Tharp choreography.

It is suggested that Polly Platt was very competitive and didn't like having another woman on set who had more of the ear of the director than she had.

by Anonymousreply 11September 5, 2020 4:03 PM

I saw it in the 90s. I remember the little girl was awful. Total brat and unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 12September 5, 2020 4:06 PM

It could be worse. It could have had Tony Danza in it.

by Anonymousreply 13September 5, 2020 4:26 PM

Wasn’t this another instance where Tracey Ullman filmed scenes, but all her parts were left on the cutting room floor?

by Anonymousreply 14September 5, 2020 4:29 PM

New York’s hottest club is: [makes the noise of an insect flying by]. Written and directed by James L. Brooks…This place has everything: Backpacks, sea lions, Ron Wood, a rental car filled with bottled water, my best friend Joel, plus a special appearance by evil celebrity chef Wario Batali.

by Anonymousreply 15September 5, 2020 4:53 PM

R12, you'll be gratified to know that she went on to do.... a whole lot of nuthin'.

Seriously, that's what you get for being named "Whittni."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 5, 2020 5:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!