Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anna Faris Exiting "Mom" Ahead of Season 8

The role will not be recast says producers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303December 4, 2020 3:01 AM

Season EIGHT?

I thought it was 1 or 2 years old. Never seen it, though.

by Anonymousreply 1September 4, 2020 5:16 PM

There have been eight seasons of a show called “Mom”?

Is there also a “Dad” and an “Auntie”?

There are way too many TV networks.

by Anonymousreply 2September 4, 2020 5:16 PM

Why bother?

by Anonymousreply 3September 4, 2020 5:17 PM

Maybe they'll finally have her get her shit together and give her a happy ending. I'll miss her, but it could possibly continue with just Janney if she were still interested.

by Anonymousreply 4September 4, 2020 5:17 PM

An animal abusing cunt.

by Anonymousreply 5September 4, 2020 5:20 PM

I love Anna Faris.

by Anonymousreply 6September 4, 2020 5:25 PM

I think I laughed at the show once.....it's hard to remember.

by Anonymousreply 7September 4, 2020 5:29 PM

The cast got too large after the third season. And once Fitchner joined the focus seemed more on Janney.

by Anonymousreply 8September 4, 2020 5:33 PM

To add... the only surprising thing is it doesn't seem they're giving her a send off episode.

by Anonymousreply 9September 4, 2020 5:34 PM

Drugs?

by Anonymousreply 10September 4, 2020 5:36 PM

Chuck has Ashton on speed dial.

by Anonymousreply 11September 4, 2020 5:38 PM

I've never even heard of that show, and barely her.

by Anonymousreply 12September 4, 2020 5:38 PM

R1, I've never seen it either. Not one episode. I only posted the story because it popped up in my email as breaking entertainment news, so I figured some here might find it of interest.

by Anonymousreply 13September 4, 2020 5:39 PM

It would be nice if they let her character have a happy ending, like getting her dream job in another city. The irony is that Christy's life improved greatly once her kids moved out.

by Anonymousreply 14September 4, 2020 5:39 PM

Does anyone believe Anna Faris has "other projects" lined up?

Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 15September 4, 2020 5:41 PM

That ensemble cast is very good. They can continue. Faris's character has no place to go. She is about finished with law school, so no more room for Lucy and Ethel adventures with Alison Janney. Any of the other women are capable foils.

by Anonymousreply 16September 4, 2020 5:42 PM

Janney deserves a much better vehicle. I think I watched an episode of this show and found it rather unfunny. Granted, Lorre's sitcoms are always 22 minutes of the variations of the same 2-3 jokes repeated ad nauseam, but this felt like some flat-falling hybrid of what's basically Two And A Half Women and an earnest family drama a la Gilmore Girls. I'm really not sure who the target audience for such a show is.

by Anonymousreply 17September 4, 2020 6:04 PM

I really enjoy this show and think it's a little deeper than your average sitcom. I like that the two leads are addicts in recovery and, sometimes, they slip. It makes them flawed, real people. Taking Christy away doesn't sound ideal, but if they give her a good send off and a good reason to move away, it could work with Bonnie and co. The first season or two had Christy's children featured prominently and they rarely show up these days and no one seems to mind.

by Anonymousreply 18September 4, 2020 6:11 PM

I minded.

It made Christy seem like a deadbeat mom. Lucy forgot about her kids too on Here's Lucy. Doris Day forgot about hers too.

It is weird.

by Anonymousreply 19September 4, 2020 6:17 PM

"Lucy forgot about her kids too on Here's Lucy. Doris Day forgot about hers too."

What can one do? Sometimes there are no other options.

by Anonymousreply 20September 4, 2020 6:19 PM

I don’t do Chuck Lorre sitcoms.

by Anonymousreply 21September 4, 2020 6:22 PM

I've watched the whole run. I LIKE it. It's an easy watch when I'm cooking or washing up or folding clothes. You don't really have to watch it. Its like a radio play. Faris has withered to 2 sticks. She is obviously not well. Anorexic and something. Drugs, I guess. The show can have 2 more seasons. Its not very good but its comfort food.

by Anonymousreply 22September 4, 2020 6:22 PM

Some of you suffer with reading comprehension. She is just not coming back. NO SEND OFF with her acting. Written off.

by Anonymousreply 23September 4, 2020 6:24 PM

Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 24September 4, 2020 6:25 PM

Christy did not forget about her kids. Because of drugs and alcohol she was a terrible mother to her kids. Her older child, a daughter, was bitterly resentful of the abuse she suffered from her addict mom. She cut her mother out of her life. It was interesting territory for a sitcom to cover. Christy had no choice with that one. The little boy went to live with his father who married money.

by Anonymousreply 25September 4, 2020 6:26 PM

[quote] Lucy forgot about her kids too on Here's Lucy

It was Lucy’s “The Lucy Show” kids that Lucy forgot about. When the Lucy Carmichael character moved to LA, the daughter was forgotten, and the son sent off to boarding school.

by Anonymousreply 26September 4, 2020 6:29 PM

I love that Mom had the guts to tackle some really dark material from time to time and they did it in a really heartfelt way.

So, this means that the show will come back and someone will say something in the first episode like "gee, I know it's only been 2 weeks since Christy moved away, but I sure do miss her?" That's a little lame. You'd think they could at least get Faris back for a farewell episode. Something is fishy here.

by Anonymousreply 27September 4, 2020 6:34 PM

I'm available, Chuck.

by Anonymousreply 28September 4, 2020 6:35 PM

I probably watched like 3 seasons. Love Janney. Then forgot about it.

by Anonymousreply 29September 4, 2020 6:36 PM

Janney sucks

by Anonymousreply 30September 4, 2020 6:39 PM

Who’s leaving what?

by Anonymousreply 31September 4, 2020 6:41 PM

Octavia Spencer had an arc. She was good. It was funny. But the humor is often about desperation, too. I like to watch Fichtner. I know he's getting so old but I have a married horse-hung fuckbuddy who is a dead ringer for him.

by Anonymousreply 32September 4, 2020 6:42 PM

Christy tried her best to be a good mom especially in the first couple of seasons. She helped Violet throughout her teen pregnancy. Violet, who was a relatively mature character gave the baby up for adoption and went way downhill and blamed all her problems on Violet. She could never forgive her for her upbringing like Christy did Bonnie.

Sad.

by Anonymousreply 33September 4, 2020 6:45 PM

Blamed all of her problems on Christy, I mean.

by Anonymousreply 34September 4, 2020 6:46 PM

"I'm available, Chuck.

—Cybill Shepherd"

Hey, good buddy. I'm available too! Let's do lunch.

by Anonymousreply 35September 4, 2020 6:58 PM

I hope they don't pump up the Kate Micucci character.

Bring back one of the big stars.

by Anonymousreply 36September 4, 2020 8:12 PM

Thank you, R36. I hope the producers read this thread.

They could easily move Christy out and move Patty in as Bonnie's new roommate. But, ugh. NOT a breath of fresh air.

by Anonymousreply 37September 4, 2020 8:16 PM

RIP Anna.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 4, 2020 8:21 PM

I like the fact that once Christy let her son go live with his father, a decision she initially had trouble with, her life improved. She put herself through school and into a career she really wanted. The son, who wanted to live with his dad, has a good life with a caring step-mom in a substantially better home. The daughter got sober and appears to be a functional human being who can support herself, and she handles her bitterness by pouring it into a podcast. So the perverse point of Mom is that breaking up Christy's nuclear family was the best thing for all of them. Which is why it would be nice if Christy had a happy ending - away from her kids. If Christy just has a mental breakdown or some other bad ending as her off-screen exit, it undercuts the whole anti-family premise.

by Anonymousreply 39September 4, 2020 8:33 PM

The son needs his mother too. Their conflicts should have been explored. They dropped the ball on him.

by Anonymousreply 40September 4, 2020 8:43 PM

It's not so much that they dropped the ball. Matt Jones played Baxter, Christy's ex and Roscoe's father. And Matt Jones got hired on another sitcom. That really puts him out of reach for MOM. That makes that story line difficult to access. Plus, Roscoe grew up. The kid is almost unrecognizable now.

by Anonymousreply 41September 4, 2020 8:50 PM

[quote]There have been eight seasons of a show called “Mom”?

Actually, there have only been SEVEN seasons. Season 8 is coming up.

by Anonymousreply 42September 4, 2020 9:12 PM

Donna Pescow?

by Anonymousreply 43September 5, 2020 12:29 AM

Damn, this show had me contemplating going to AA - seriously. They make it seem so normal being a drunk to stopping. Love the show. It's a shame they didn't come up with a number they could agree on. Everything in America is about money, so im guessing that was the issue

by Anonymousreply 44September 5, 2020 12:46 AM

Poor Anna is a hot mess. I hope one of her “projects” is rehab. I wish her well, though. No snark.

The show is hamfisted, if you ask me. But the cast is quite good. It reminds me of later seasons of “Roseanne”.

by Anonymousreply 45September 5, 2020 12:46 AM

she has to stay home to take care of her pets!

lolz

by Anonymousreply 46September 5, 2020 12:52 AM

I'm surprised she made it as far as she did after being cut off from Chris Pratt's cock.

by Anonymousreply 47September 5, 2020 1:06 AM

It's not like she didn't experience that before they split. He hadn't even seen his dick for a while when he was fat.

by Anonymousreply 48September 5, 2020 1:11 AM

Is Faris a known druggie or boozer? I must have missed this.

by Anonymousreply 49September 5, 2020 2:26 AM

Eek. Yeah, she's not a well woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 5, 2020 2:31 AM

My God! I had no idea. She looks pretty normal on the show. She looks like she hasn't eaten since COVID started.

by Anonymousreply 51September 5, 2020 2:33 AM

She looks awful

by Anonymousreply 52September 5, 2020 2:35 AM

They'll have her run off with Will Sasso's character, Easy way to write them both off.

by Anonymousreply 53September 5, 2020 2:40 AM

Those rubbery features are great on a comedian, but fucking spooky on a junkie or drunk.

by Anonymousreply 54September 5, 2020 2:44 AM

Well, that pretty much explains things.

by Anonymousreply 55September 5, 2020 2:44 AM

I t would be kind of funny if they just keep saying she's at work or at school.

by Anonymousreply 56September 5, 2020 2:44 AM

She looked great here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57September 5, 2020 2:49 AM

The pics must be quite old as she was still with a chunky Pratt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58September 5, 2020 2:49 AM

I would replace her with Rumer Willis. Someone younger and far more attractive. Here is a little gossip: Allison Janney is not a team player.

by Anonymousreply 59September 5, 2020 3:05 AM

Rumer Willis isn't far more attractive than anyone

by Anonymousreply 60September 5, 2020 3:07 AM

Rumer Willis is lovely compared to Anna Faris. And she can sing. I hate that some ugly person with no talent like Liza Minneli could become a star back in the 1950s, but a beautiful young girl like Rumer is verzuz discriminated against just because her parents are superstars. Give the girl a chance!

by Anonymousreply 61September 5, 2020 3:14 AM

Thatstthe can-do spirit, 61! As a bulldog or buick, by putting her best face forward RW can plow through the rich material.

by Anonymousreply 62September 5, 2020 4:18 AM

Correct R62. Anna Faris could never do this!! Or look so great doing it. Rumor is amazing. ❤️

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 5, 2020 4:30 AM

Rumer even resembles a much more beautiful Allison Janney. She could play her other alcoholic daughter who left home and became a STAR on Broadway. Because of the pandemic, she is currently of work. What MOM needs is more musical numbers. From Rumer Willis. She's gorgeous and funny and talented and leggy and what a voice. She sounds like Amy Winehouse crossed with Gaga. She's better than both of them combined. Star of Broadway, winner of Dancing with The Stars, featured star on Empire and the Lion on the Masked Singer, Rumer is too big to co-star on mom. But she doesn't have a BIG head and that's what separates her from other Hollywood superstar children of superstars. Can we get a write in campaign going? Rumor has IT!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 5, 2020 4:49 AM

I would love to be on a Chuck Lorre sitcom.

It runs five years. I live off residuals the rest of my life.

Retire with about 10 million? Yeah.

That'd be nice.

by Anonymousreply 65September 5, 2020 4:58 AM

Interesting about Allison Janney, R59. I’ve only ever heard positive things about her, and suspect her great industry reputation was a large factor in her undeserved Oscar win.

I will say, she is a very aggressive self-promoter. Not uncommon in her business, and not unwise for a 60-year-old character actress with unconventional looks, but I do find it slightly off-putting.

by Anonymousreply 66September 5, 2020 5:00 AM

I watch the show off/on, mostly reruns. I'll binge for a while, then will fall out of it. The characters start to get annoying after a while. I do think maybe they should've kept the son on and recast him. The daughter (and the pregnancy storyline) was insufferable, so getting rid of her was a positive thing.

R59 - Rumor Willis more attractive? Maybe than a greyhound.

by Anonymousreply 67September 5, 2020 5:02 AM

Fun Fact: Mimi Kennedy was in the running for the spot on SNL that ultimately went to Gilda Radner.

by Anonymousreply 68September 5, 2020 5:15 AM

Wrong, R68.

Mimi and Jane Curtin were in the final running for the spot that went to Jane.

by Anonymousreply 69September 5, 2020 5:21 AM

You MUST be referring to the bus, R67.

Because the dogs are stunningly beautiful and lithe. Neither of which describes Rumer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70September 5, 2020 5:34 AM

Rumer brings out such jealousy in people. She's young beautiful rich and talented. Allison Janney insisted they cast someone ugly to play her daughter, that's how we got Faris. But Allison is not in charge anymore. Rumer will take over the spotlight, as CBS has big plans for an innovative musical drama for her in the near future. Rumer is a sweet and unaffected young woman and Janney would eat her up, but Kristen Johnson has her back. You heard it here first. Rumer will be the new daughter on Mom. A much younger and more beautiful daughter than Faris, of course. Who SINGS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 5, 2020 5:45 AM

IMO adding Kristen Johnson was the best idea the show had. Lovely actress and she can do physical comedy as good as Allyson Janney. At some point I thought she would replace Allyson who had quite a few movie hits while on the show and even received an Oscar (for Tonya).

However, I think it's difficult to replace the actual protagonist of the show which is Christy and believe the show keeps on going beyond further seasons.

by Anonymousreply 72September 5, 2020 5:49 AM

Maybe Faris can join the Christy Minstrels or reboot Get Christie Love!

by Anonymousreply 73September 5, 2020 6:02 AM

Congratulations, R69. You are infinitely smarter than I shall ever be.

by Anonymousreply 74September 5, 2020 6:06 AM

Didn't Anna's ex just have a baby with his new wife? That might have been hard to take.

by Anonymousreply 75September 5, 2020 2:37 PM

I enjoyed the show's entire run, especially the story arc involving Christy's bio dad (Bonnie's ex). The ensemble cast is great, and they carry funny and sad storylines simultaneously.

To maintain the show's Mom theme, there needs to be a parent-child dynamic. Earlier in the show, Bonnie met her bio mom but she wasn't ready to forgive her. They can recast the role of Bonnie's mom and make her a regular. Then Bonnie and her mom can have a Dorothy-Sophia dynamic. They can just say that Christy was offered a lawyer job in another state, and the door would remain open for Christy / Anna to return.

by Anonymousreply 76September 5, 2020 2:51 PM

Faris has been bone thin for some time. Scary thin, actually. You can see it clearly on the show whenever her legs are shown. "Camera thin, camera ready" carried much too far.

by Anonymousreply 77September 5, 2020 3:09 PM

Farris' departure will probably be explained with a covid related type death. Something sudden and unexplainable. Plus, Mom knows how to make grief work. It would make sense.

by Anonymousreply 78September 5, 2020 3:48 PM

Rumer Willis is already in rehearsals. They have to uglier her up to look more like Janney. Armie Hammer knows how lovely Rumer is....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79September 5, 2020 4:07 PM

Are u some sort of lunatic R79? What are u babbling about in regards to Rumer Willis in a Mom thread?!

by Anonymousreply 80September 5, 2020 4:11 PM

I only watched early on and I really like them both and think Janey is very talented. But she also strikes me as potentially monstrous and after the Oscar win demanding a larger part of the pie and forcing an equal billing costar off the show. I don’t think was an Anna Ferris problem, I think this was a what Oscar winning actress Alison Janey wants problem.

by Anonymousreply 81September 5, 2020 4:13 PM

Janney has two long running series, does she not?

by Anonymousreply 82September 5, 2020 4:14 PM

I thought Bonnie's bio mom died... that's when she met her black half-brother, who also had an addiction problem.

If they need to bring in a child, Bonnie could be surprised to find out that she has a stepdaughter that her husband forgot to mention. Or a young woman could show up, claiming to be Bonnie's biological daughter that she gave up for adoption, which was Bonnie's dark secret.

by Anonymousreply 83September 5, 2020 5:07 PM

Maybe she could meet her black half brother's full black sister, played by Regina Hall?

by Anonymousreply 84September 5, 2020 5:08 PM

Give William Fichtner a sex change. Bonnie already did the lez-lez with Rosie O'Donnell so this could work. Fichtner's already there. All he has to do is come out trans and he could play the Ethel role to Bonnie's Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 85September 5, 2020 5:31 PM

While Anna Faris' character won't be recast

Writers will introduce an adorable new character in her place

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86September 5, 2020 5:38 PM

Fuck me, now we have a Rumer Willis loon to contend with?

by Anonymousreply 87September 6, 2020 9:16 PM

No way did they just let her out of a hard-negotiated contract without there being more to it.

Especially interesting that this news was released at the start of Labor Day weekend, a take out the trash news day, when the show has known she was leaving since they started hiatus.

I wonder if she’d been driving the producers crazy for a while and maybe she petitioned to get out of her contract and they decided that between her being a pain in the ass and having a hefty per-show price tag, everyone would win if she moved on. But CBS would have been inclined to keep her—and they don’t like the precedent of an actor skipping out of a commitment—so there is more to do.

by Anonymousreply 88September 6, 2020 9:24 PM

r88 CBS doesn't produce the show.

by Anonymousreply 89September 6, 2020 9:34 PM

CBS licenses the show and, therefore, has a huge amount of say.

Most people don’t realize thIs, but the networks control casting. They provide lists of actors they consider acceptable for roles, which is why so much of the casting on these shows can be problematic. I imagine, though, that Chuck Lorre is able to wield a lot more power than most EPS.

by Anonymousreply 90September 6, 2020 10:38 PM

If only Susan Richardson was available....

by Anonymousreply 91September 7, 2020 5:23 AM

I had a strong fondness for the show when I watched it. I always thought the balance of humor and drama was executed very well and Faris and Janney were excellent in their roles. Jaime Pressly was always hilarious and Kristin Johnson was a great addition as well. I've always had a love/hate relationship with alcohol, never really suffering any major problems as a result of my drinking, but also never really reaping any real benefits from it, and largely tiring of the whole drinking-as-entertainment thing. A lot of shows and movies from the early-2000s (even prior to that) glamorized alcohol consumption, particularly in the 00s (I feel SATC opened America up to middle-aged female bar-hopping as an acceptable activity). I always appreciated Mom's pushback against that previous presentation of drinking-as-entertainment in the media and addressing the problems that come with, not just alcoholism, but also drinking generally.

As for Faris, I've always loved her, even back when she did those stupid Scary Movie films. There's just something about her that's always attracted me to her as an actress (although it sounds like she's something of a basket case, which I never really knew). I haven't watched in a long time, but I really don't see how the show could continue on without her.

by Anonymousreply 92September 8, 2020 6:34 PM

She played Cameron Diaz in "Lost In Translation."

by Anonymousreply 93September 8, 2020 6:37 PM

It seems like she is going through an illness of some kind.

I feel bad for her.

by Anonymousreply 94September 8, 2020 6:51 PM

Ashton Kutcher is the go to guy to replace someone on a Chuck Lorrie Sitcom. He could play a billionaire.

by Anonymousreply 95September 8, 2020 8:12 PM

Rumer was really good as Roxie Hart when she went into the Broadway "Chicago" for a couple of months.

by Anonymousreply 96September 9, 2020 8:09 AM

No job and now about to be homeless. Anna, you in danger gurl!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97September 9, 2020 1:51 PM

"Ashton Kutcher is the go to guy to replace someone on a Chuck Lorrie Sitcom."

As a comedic actor, AK is awful.

Charlie Sheen may have been a drunk, but even on his worst drug/liquor addled days, he could run comedic rings around Ashton Kutcher. Kutcher can't act for shit.

by Anonymousreply 98September 9, 2020 2:26 PM

I'm telling you, it's gonna be Kate Micucci. Her character will have a relapse and and move in with Bonnie (Janney). I just hope she doesn't bring her kid with her. That would be an official Shark Jump.

The show needs somebody who is still struggling with addiction. All the other girls have had enough relapses. Patty (Micucci) fills that need.

by Anonymousreply 99September 9, 2020 2:30 PM

Please not patty.

by Anonymousreply 100September 9, 2020 2:36 PM

Last season's finale included a scene where Christy kissed another woman. The scene came out of nowhere. Maybe the actress didn't want to carry out a gay storyline.

It would be hypocritical to fire an addict from a sitcom about addiction recovery.

by Anonymousreply 101September 9, 2020 3:02 PM

I love Kate M. in the dark comedy "Seven Stages to Achieve Eternal Bliss by Passing Through the Gateway Chosen by the Holy Storsh"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102September 9, 2020 3:24 PM

Or Lorre noticed the same warning signals that he saw with Charlie Sheen and had a talk with Anna and they decided to part ways.

Anna seems like a mental mess. Pratt's dick must be magical or some kind of drug you can't quit.

by Anonymousreply 103September 9, 2020 3:31 PM

R103, gay men think everything is about dick

by Anonymousreply 104September 9, 2020 3:54 PM

[quote] gay men think everything is about dick

It is usually. Most evil in this world comes from guys who think their dicks are not big enough. Or in your case, a lack of dick.

by Anonymousreply 105September 9, 2020 4:52 PM

Miucci's schtik is amusing for a few scenes, every few episodes (see: Raising Hope).

Maybe they planned to add her, and Faris said "fuck this."

by Anonymousreply 106September 9, 2020 5:38 PM

Her delivery is too monotone for my taste. Initially enjoyed her on Big Bang, though. Initially.

Maybe Violet will take up drugs?

by Anonymousreply 107September 9, 2020 5:40 PM

Does it have to be drugs/alcohol? They could add Chrissy Metz or Gabby Sidibe.

by Anonymousreply 108September 9, 2020 5:41 PM

Too bad they killed off the other chick, Jodi played by Emily Osment. She could've get "adopted" by Bonnie.

Isn't Micucci way too busy to tie herself to one show? She's usually popping up everywhere, and she voices Velma on recent Scooby Doo projects.

by Anonymousreply 109September 9, 2020 6:01 PM

I’d like to think Lorre recognizes that she’s a supporting player who is effective in small doses. I certainly can’t see her at the center of the action.

by Anonymousreply 110September 9, 2020 6:08 PM

r105 probably has a dick the size of a peanut

by Anonymousreply 111September 9, 2020 6:19 PM

r111 probably wishes his brain was as big as a peanut.

by Anonymousreply 112September 9, 2020 6:25 PM

r112 doesn't even have a brain.

by Anonymousreply 113September 9, 2020 6:28 PM

Hopefully y'all bitches don't write for "Mom" or season 8 will be its last.

by Anonymousreply 114September 9, 2020 6:32 PM

I for one hope they go over the top and dark having her slip up and binge drink and then drive plowing into a school bus full of children and leaving Alison Janey to sort through the aftermath in tears and humor.

by Anonymousreply 115September 9, 2020 6:57 PM

Anna did the movie May where she played a lesbian, so I'm sure the lesbian stuff wasn't a deal breaker.

by Anonymousreply 116September 9, 2020 7:23 PM

They'll probably have the wheelchair guy become a full blown alkie and his marriage with Bonnie completely disintegrates.

by Anonymousreply 117September 9, 2020 7:42 PM

I’ve haven’t seen a comment from Janney on her co-star’s departure.

by Anonymousreply 118September 9, 2020 7:46 PM

Susan Dey has suspiciously not yet commented either?

by Anonymousreply 119September 9, 2020 7:48 PM

They should retitle it to "The Alison Janney Show" and have Alison play her character's twin cousin.

by Anonymousreply 120September 9, 2020 7:50 PM

She dumped Chris Pratt and now leaving Mom. Clearly money means nothing to her. I have always loved her movies but the Christy character was getting annoying and playing fifth banana on what used to be her show must suck. Mom will be like Cheers when Shelley Long left, an opportunity for different SLs.

by Anonymousreply 121September 9, 2020 8:08 PM

If they feel they need a replacement they could always bring back the Violet character with an addiction, hopefully with a different actress though.

by Anonymousreply 122September 9, 2020 8:09 PM

Did she dump Pratt? Her weight loss suggests she was more devastated than he was.

by Anonymousreply 123September 9, 2020 8:10 PM

She's been anorexic for years before her marriage ended

by Anonymousreply 124September 9, 2020 8:37 PM

Yeah, I think Violet is a decent actress but she’s not funny.

by Anonymousreply 125September 9, 2020 10:24 PM

What about Amanda Bynes?

by Anonymousreply 126September 9, 2020 10:29 PM

Violet is a pretty name.

by Anonymousreply 127September 9, 2020 10:59 PM

Why do the loserish old gay men like ugly white chicks so much? Answer: Because they get the guy!! Same excuse for the insane preference for Sandra Bullock over Julia Roberts on this old man site. Ancient white gays are weird. Anna Faris looks like she is always just about to suck up some snot from her runny nose. What a weak countenance to champion. Dumb. Bring on Rumer Willis.

by Anonymousreply 128September 9, 2020 11:00 PM

No one thinks Rumer Willis is attractive but you

by Anonymousreply 129September 9, 2020 11:02 PM

[Quote] Why do the loserish old gay men like ugly white chicks so much?

No idea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130September 9, 2020 11:02 PM

This guy's right. Rumer Willis is super fug. Revolting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131September 9, 2020 11:12 PM

Rumer could actually do a good Dusty Springfield, visually.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132September 9, 2020 11:16 PM

Bump, dammit!

by Anonymousreply 133September 12, 2020 4:20 PM

I adore Anna and wanted to like Mom but the show just wasn't funny. Maybe much of that is my general revulsion to Chuck Lorre's brand of sitcom "comedy".

I hope it's not too late to regain her movie career. Loved in as the stoner who stole the original manuscript of the Communist Manifesto.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134September 12, 2020 4:59 PM

Um...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135September 12, 2020 5:25 PM

R135 I think it’s hyperbole to say the whole network was affected. The production house maybe, but this isn’t shutting down CBS.

by Anonymousreply 136September 12, 2020 5:31 PM

I don’t thing that account is accurate. I’ve read that the producers have known since they went on hiatus earlier this year.

by Anonymousreply 137September 12, 2020 5:42 PM

I just saw a movie with her and Chris Evans on HBO. She always has that white trash thing going, even when the character isn't. They also had very little chemistry in the film.

by Anonymousreply 138September 12, 2020 5:58 PM

Ana Faris makes Rumer Willis look like Miss Universe.

by Anonymousreply 139September 12, 2020 6:00 PM

R139 Demi Moore, drunk at 11 am.

by Anonymousreply 140September 12, 2020 6:02 PM

I'd be a nervous wreck in negotiations if I had my dream job -- which would be, actually, acting on a sitcom.

I've done a bunch of extra work on a few sitcoms and was even a 'regular' extra on two, doing about 7 or 8 episodes all in one season.

You get to see how it's all done. In a blue moon, you can get seen in a group reaction shot. I'd be so tempted to do it all for scale + 10% for my agent.

But if she felt she was worth more, then she should ask for it.

by Anonymousreply 141September 12, 2020 11:10 PM

R141 I'd be surprised if it was money. Wouldn't that have come up LAST year when she was renegotiating?

by Anonymousreply 142September 12, 2020 11:13 PM

Is this like when Nancy Mckeon didn't show up for the first two weeks of filming Facts of Life season 6, but then once the money was arranged, she was back on the show?

by Anonymousreply 143September 13, 2020 12:41 AM

R143 That girl WAS NOT going to take the bad without a major salary adjustment!

by Anonymousreply 144September 13, 2020 1:17 AM

She's under contract for the next season which she quit early. If it was a money issue, she will likely be losing some of her pay.

by Anonymousreply 145September 13, 2020 1:24 AM

The problem is right there in her name. Ana.

Rumer has it that a very talented Willis daughter will be brought in as a kid that Janney didn't remember giving birth to. A tall, younger girl who is beautiful and can sing.

by Anonymousreply 146September 13, 2020 1:32 AM

Of all the ridiculous things to come about in 2020 a Rumer Willis fan jockeying for her to replace Anna Faris on Mom has to be the strangest.

by Anonymousreply 147September 13, 2020 3:57 AM

Doesn't she pronounce her name as Onna?

by Anonymousreply 148September 13, 2020 4:01 AM

Rumer Willis is such a random person to be obsessed with, unless you work for her or are a relative.

by Anonymousreply 149September 13, 2020 4:22 AM

Not really. Gays often like the ducklings.

by Anonymousreply 150September 13, 2020 4:26 AM

Who isn't obsessed with Rumer Willis? She already has the part.

by Anonymousreply 151September 13, 2020 5:06 AM

Wouldn't it be a riot if Rumer Willis wound up being cast on "Mom" because of this board's Rumer Willis Loon? That would be hysterical!

by Anonymousreply 152September 13, 2020 5:43 AM

Sara Rue will get it.

by Anonymousreply 153September 13, 2020 5:46 AM

Demi, we like you better when you're chasing younger cock.

by Anonymousreply 154September 13, 2020 5:47 AM

Heather Locklear to the rescue? But could she believably play an addict?

by Anonymousreply 155September 13, 2020 5:49 AM

LOL, just spotted this thread and had the same reaction as everyone else. There's a show called Mom? Starring Alison Janney? And it's entering its 8th season? WTF?

And yeah, the Rumer Willis troll is loony as shit.

by Anonymousreply 156September 13, 2020 5:49 AM

The Rumer troll's schtick is to pick be contrarian by picking a DL NONfave and raving about them in inappropriate places. He's the same guy who raves about Meghan's beauty on the View threads. Before Meghan, he raved about Candace, knowing full well that 99% of the users on this board find both Meghan and Candace repugnant.

This is how he gets his high. It's how he gets attention. Just block him. You won't miss a thing, because he will NEVER say anything interesting, useful, or meaningful.

by Anonymousreply 157September 13, 2020 5:55 AM

[quote] Just block him. You won't miss a thing, because he will NEVER say anything interesting, useful, or meaningful.

He'll probably say some things that are crazy and hilarious, though, which is why I will not block him.

by Anonymousreply 158September 13, 2020 5:57 AM

Parody posts are welcome, especially if they elicit outrage from people who don't get that the post is a parody.

by Anonymousreply 159September 13, 2020 6:00 AM

It was crazy and hilarious the first five times he did it. After that, it became too repetitive and tiresome. It's a waste of time.

by Anonymousreply 160September 13, 2020 6:00 AM

[quote]Christy did not forget about her kids. Because of drugs and alcohol she was a terrible mother to her kids. Her older child, a daughter, was bitterly resentful of the abuse she suffered from her addict mom. She cut her mother out of her life. It was interesting territory for a sitcom to cover. Christy had no choice with that one. The little boy went to live with his father who married money.

The children's departure was never stated clearly. I don't know what episodes you were watching which explained their departures. I do remember the daughter putting her baby up for adoption, then she went to work in Las Vegas. Violet came back, then reconnected with the baby's father Luke. I don't remember any sort of official departure for either child. It was as if both kids were 'poof' gone. Christy's children are no longer in the family photo which was shown in the opening sequence.

I found this info online, "Speaking about where Christy’s kids are now, some reports say that Violet and Roscoe made an appearance only till the second season of the show. The kids were also missing in the family portrait of Mom’s season 5 opening sequence. According to reports, the makers of the show have not given any official statement about what happened to the kids on Mom. Their last scene in the show was when Violet was going to live with Luke and Roscoe escaped to live with Baxter and his fiancée. After which, there have been no scenes of the two in the show."

The actor who portrayed Christy's ex-husband, Roscoe's father, is currently on Chuck Lorre's other CBS series BOB LOVES ABISHOLA. It was a given he'd be leaving. Yet, the idea that a mom would give up custody of her young son is absurd. There was no discussion of joint custody, Roscoe was gone. There were no phone calls either. Pretty damn ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 161September 13, 2020 6:09 AM

Those kids were history the minute Janney emerged as the lead/star of the show.

The last I remember seeing the daughter, she had a podcast that strictly talked about what a shitty mother Christy was, and wanted nothing to do with her. She was a total cunt, and a welcome subtraction from the cast.

by Anonymousreply 162September 13, 2020 10:32 AM

This stupid show and Grey's Anatomy are two of the shows I don't understand. Neither of them are worth watching and yet they've been on FOREVER.

Let's have something new please.

by Anonymousreply 163September 13, 2020 2:21 PM

Christy's relationship with her daughter, Violet, deteriorated over time. The daughter was resentful that Christy's alcoholism had negatively impacted her childhood. The daughter moved out (for the second time), and it looked like she was going to soften her stance towards Christy when she invited Christy to visit her and her boyfriend. When Christy arrived, she was stunned to learn that her daughter's boyfriend (or maybe husband?) was much older than her. She begrudgingly was accepting it because her daughter seemed happy with the stability. Then she offhandedly mentioned the baby Violet had given up for adoption. Violet had not told her partner about the adopted baby, and he was shocked to find out. Violet blamed Christy for the conflict that followed. Later, Christy learned that Violet had a podcast about what it was like growing up with an alcoholic. Christy practically begged forgiveness, but Violet made it clear she didn't want to have a relationship with Christy.

Then Roscoe's dad married a nice woman who happened to be rich, and Roscoe wanted to live with them. His dad and stepmom had a huge house with a pool, and Christy had an apartment that she shared with her mom. She had to let him go.

Like another poster above mentioned, it was a sad irony that Christy's kids rejected her after she managed to forgive her own mom for being a similarly bad parent.

There really wasn't any room for a Roscoe storyline. The Violet storyline would have been interesting to explore, but the show chose to carry out a very similar storyline for the older supporting character, Marjorie, whose adult son wants nothing to do with her even though she's now sober. I wasn't too disappointed by the disappearance of the kids, as their absence offered more air time for the excellent supporting cast.

by Anonymousreply 164September 13, 2020 7:13 PM

I sense a "Mom" Inconsistencies Thread in the near future...

by Anonymousreply 165September 13, 2020 7:16 PM

I hated the daughter, so I wasn't sad to see her go. The son could've been aged to be a teenager, they could've had some funny stories with that. The storylines didn't necessarily have to center around Christy being a shitty parent. They did that with Violet and it was kind of tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 166September 13, 2020 7:50 PM

R162, the best known actress playing the Mom in Mom emerges as the lead of the show?

I think she always was....

by Anonymousreply 167September 13, 2020 11:18 PM

Oh, okay, thanks R162 .

by Anonymousreply 168September 14, 2020 12:02 AM

Yet no one seems to tire of Christy's whining about Bonnie, R164. I love that Violet gave Christy a taste of her own bitterness.

by Anonymousreply 169September 14, 2020 12:03 AM

There was a whole episode about Christy letting her son go live with his father and his wife. She initially said hell no, but realized that the kid wanted it, so she later said yes. They joked about the boy not having to sleep in a closet anymore. There was a later episode, where the kid got into his father's pot, which he and a friend used when they were in a jacuzzi., and then Baxter and Candace walked in on them. What Candace didn't know was that the kid got into his father's stash. I seem to recall Baxter begging Christy not to tell Candace it was his pot, and she went along with that. The boy was disciplined (can't remember what it was) and all of the adults agreed on how to handle it.

After Violet broke up with her professor boyfriend, she went on a drinking binge. Christy and Bonnie talked about how to handle it - I think they were going to throw Violet out for her own good - but then Violet showed up and chirpily announced she was going to Tahoe (?) with a friend to be a cocktail waitress. A couple of seasons later, Christy was in college and a fellow student discussed a podcast about the worst mom ever. Christy found out that Violet was doing the podcast, and Bonnie admitted that she already knew about it, because she and Violet had stayed in touch through phone calls. Christy agreed to do a podcast with Violet. She visited Violet's apartment, they did the podcast with Christy admitting that Violet's outrageous stories were true, and after the podcast, Violet said it wasn't as bad as she thought it would be. But they didn't make up. Christy apologized again and then exited Violet's life. This is reminiscent of the first season - Christy told Marjorie's estranged son that Marjorie had cancer, and the son still didn't want anything to do with his mother.

That's why this show is subversive - the women put their lives back together, but after years of abuse, their children or loved ones don't come back. Bonnie coming back into Christy's life is an exception, not the rule.

by Anonymousreply 170September 14, 2020 12:10 AM

[quote]Christy's relationship with her daughter, Violet, deteriorated over time. The daughter was resentful that Christy's alcoholism had negatively impacted her childhood. The daughter moved out (for the second time), and it looked like she was going to soften her stance towards Christy when she invited Christy to visit her and her boyfriend. When Christy arrived, she was stunned to learn that her daughter's boyfriend (or maybe husband?) was much older than her. She begrudgingly was accepting it because her daughter seemed happy with the stability. Then she offhandedly mentioned the baby Violet had given up for adoption. Violet had not told her partner about the adopted baby, and he was shocked to find out. Violet blamed Christy for the conflict that followed. Later, Christy learned that Violet had a podcast about what it was like growing up with an alcoholic. Christy practically begged forgiveness, but Violet made it clear she didn't want to have a relationship with Christy. Then Roscoe's dad married a nice woman who happened to be rich, and Roscoe wanted to live with them. His dad and stepmom had a huge house with a pool, and Christy had an apartment that she shared with her mom. She had to let him go. Like another poster above mentioned, it was a sad irony that Christy's kids rejected her after she managed to forgive her own mom for being a similarly bad parent. There really wasn't any room for a Roscoe storyline. The Violet storyline would have been interesting to explore, but the show chose to carry out a very similar storyline for the older supporting character, Marjorie, whose adult son wants nothing to do with her even though she's now sober. I wasn't too disappointed by the disappearance of the kids, as their absence offered more air time for the excellent supporting cast.

The older guy Violet lived with was played the excellent comedian/actor David Krumholtz, Yes, his character was much older, they did split and from what I remember, Violet re-connected with Luke the father of her baby and her high school BF. You're talking about a storyline which ended quite quickly. Neither Christy or Krumholitz characters mom (Linda Lavin) approved of the relationship.

Roscoe's dad Baxter's new wife Candace was not a nice woman. She was a wealthy rude control freak. I like the actress who portrays her, she played Bertha's pregnant daughter on "Two and Half Men" and she's been on many other sitcoms. Her character on this series was awful, she never wasted one minute reminding Christy she was better than her. She was always reminding Christy how RICH she was. Giving Roscoe material things doesn't make this character a better mother. What this rich woman saw in Christy's ex-husband, a pothead and a car salesman, who the hell knows.

I honestly don't buy that Christy has no contact whatsoever with her son. That doesn't happen in real life. She wasn't a super bad mother to him, she didn't beat him etc, she doesn't have any reason to complete lose contact with the boy. Even if Roscoe left the state, or country, to live with his father and step-mom, that's what phones are for. Have at least one aspect of the son's departure be somewhat real.

Basically the inconsistencies in this series are super annoying.

by Anonymousreply 171September 14, 2020 12:16 AM

You know who's super?

❤️ Rumer Willis

by Anonymousreply 172September 14, 2020 12:24 AM

Did they say she never talks to him, R171? I'm inconsistent with watching the show, maybe she keeps in contact off camera? Did the ex move away? That would be weirder, that the kid lives nearby and she never sees him. If he lives elsewhere, I think that's how they might write her out. She took a job and moved to live closer to her son.

by Anonymousreply 173September 14, 2020 12:46 AM

Okay, I’m coming around on the Rumer Willis troll.

by Anonymousreply 174September 14, 2020 2:18 AM

R174 Hi Bruce

by Anonymousreply 175September 14, 2020 2:19 AM

R175 Yippee Ki yay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176September 14, 2020 2:24 AM

Speaking of sitcom recasting, I just read that the role of the younger daughter on "American Housewife," which has been played by the girl who was in "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood", is being recast with the girl who played the younger daughter on "Life in Pieces."

by Anonymousreply 177September 14, 2020 3:29 AM

Candace was a bitch because her father (played by Harry Hamlin) was always putting her down. She desperately wanted his approval but never got it.

by Anonymousreply 178September 14, 2020 11:21 AM

[quote]Candace was a bitch because her father (played by Harry Hamlin) was always putting her down. She desperately wanted his approval but never got it.

IIRC, Candace's rich father dated Christy.

Some of the MOM storylines are just ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 179September 15, 2020 4:24 AM

Ana Farris could easily pass for 60 years old. Harry Hamlin is too handsome to date her in real life.

by Anonymousreply 180September 15, 2020 4:30 AM

[quote]IIRC, Candace's rich father dated Christy.

And Adam's rich brother (Steven Weber) did as well.

by Anonymousreply 181September 15, 2020 4:55 AM

Fichtner and Weber look like they could really be brothers.

by Anonymousreply 182September 15, 2020 6:06 AM

That's because they are brothers. Everything in H'wood is 100% real, don'tcha know.

by Anonymousreply 183October 18, 2020 10:14 AM

Rumer's come hither looks have ensared men from Zac Efron and Aaron Carter to Armie Hammer. It's rumored that she has set her sights on Henry Cavill and Colton Haynes. (Ssssh!)

by Anonymousreply 184October 18, 2020 10:36 AM

So.... Has Rumer landed a role on the re-tooled "Mom" yet? She deserves at least "Special Guest Star" billing at the end of the acting credits, a la Heather Locklear in "Melrose Place"!

by Anonymousreply 185October 28, 2020 10:28 PM

New season is next Thursday. Should be interesting to see how they deal with Ana's firing.

by Anonymousreply 186November 1, 2020 7:24 AM

Marjorie is a terribly annoying and irritating character. I never understood that casting decision.

by Anonymousreply 187November 1, 2020 8:30 AM

Mimi Kennedy is terrific. She centers the women, and the show, in many ways.

by Anonymousreply 188November 1, 2020 11:35 AM

I disagree. I feel her character adds very little to the group. A more dynamic character would be a much better choice.

by Anonymousreply 189November 1, 2020 12:38 PM

r186 Who says she was fired?

by Anonymousreply 190November 1, 2020 12:52 PM

The talk has been that she pulled out very late into pre-production for the season and that they've been left scrambling.

by Anonymousreply 191November 1, 2020 1:21 PM

Is Anna still alive? This all seemed like an ultimate downward spiral with no coming back?

by Anonymousreply 192November 1, 2020 1:41 PM

The fact that they let her out of an iron-clad contract makes it pretty clear that it was either a health issue or that she wanted to move on and was such a pain in the ass that they just let her. I mean, she was one of the stars, so they wouldn’t undertake the decision lightly.

The only relatively similar situation that comes to mind is when Mandy Patinkin left Criminal Minds early in the show’s run because he found the show revolting. But a drama is different than a sitcom, which is reliant on the chemistry of the cast and the right combination of characters, and in the case of Criminal Minds, I suspect the network realized that the value of Mandy on the show was in launching it and it had caught on and the formula would carry it with or without him.

But even if she was a real pain in the ass on the set, while the writers and producers might be happy to ship her out, I doubt the network would feel the same unless there was some other factor. A major cast change like that can be the kiss of death for a sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 193November 1, 2020 4:24 PM

But don't they sign for seven years? This is the eighth year.

by Anonymousreply 194November 1, 2020 4:26 PM

If she was a pain in the ass, we'd have heard about it in the years the show has been on the air.

by Anonymousreply 195November 1, 2020 4:27 PM

A year ago she signed a new two-year deal and was halfway through.

Just read that apparently her exit won’t be addiction-related. It was be tied to some positive developments in Christy’s life and that the other characters will continue to refer to her and Bonnie will have phone calls (one way) with her.

Still, note one important fact: she didn’t return for an episode or two to allow them to tie her story up. That says a lot.

by Anonymousreply 196November 1, 2020 5:00 PM

Every time I see that broad's name I read it initially as Anna Farts

by Anonymousreply 197November 1, 2020 5:34 PM

Maybe she's going to rehab?

by Anonymousreply 198November 1, 2020 5:37 PM

Considering Ana Rexic is now skinnier than Gollum, no way she wasn't fired. Who wants to see her skinny lil anorectic ass on the show. Anorexics have zero opportunities in Hollywood. Look at the poor girl from Reba years ago. She wasted away to nothing and had no career after Reba.

by Anonymousreply 199November 1, 2020 7:12 PM

She's already been skinny for a long while. They cover her up, in terms of clothes, on the show.

by Anonymousreply 200November 1, 2020 7:30 PM

LEAVE ANNA ALOOOOOOONE! She's always reminded me of B. Spears.

by Anonymousreply 201November 2, 2020 7:14 AM

[quote] Roscoe's dad Baxter's new wife Candace was not a nice woman. She was a wealthy rude control freak. I like the actress who portrays her, she played Bertha's pregnant daughter on "Two and Half Men" and she's been on many other sitcoms.

R171 The actress that played Candace is Sara Rue, she also played a lesbian who carried a baby for Audrey Bingham on Rules Of Engagement, Grace's sister Joyce on Will & Grace, Leonard's girl friend on Big Bang Theory, she even played a Teenage Roseanne on one of the Roseanne Halloween episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202November 2, 2020 10:42 PM

Sara Rue was also a regular on Ryan Murphy's "Popular."

by Anonymousreply 203November 2, 2020 10:47 PM

[quote]The actress that played Candace is Sara Rue, she also played a lesbian who carried a baby for Audrey Bingham on Rules Of Engagement, Grace's sister Joyce on Will & Grace, Leonard's girl friend on Big Bang Theory, she even played a Teenage Roseanne on one of the Roseanne Halloween episode.

She was also the STAR of "Less Than Perfect" (featuring DL faves Zachary Levi, Sherri Shepherd and Andy Dick) for FOUR SEASONS on ABC.

by Anonymousreply 204November 2, 2020 11:08 PM

I'm in the middle of season 2, after Alvin dies. The show lost a lot when they got rid of the kids and Christie's ex. Then the show was no longer about a "mom". It should have been called Bitches of AA. Now that Christie's gone completely, Mom is no longer on at all. Seems like the last season will be a disaster. Janney has no straight man to play off anymore. In the first few seasons, before Christie wasted away to nothing, she was actually a comic genius. She and Janney were gold together and could do the physical comedy perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 205November 3, 2020 8:02 AM

^^^ I don't William Finctner (sp?) - the Janney character's love interest - is going anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 206November 3, 2020 8:11 AM

William Sphincter. He is hot but not good at comedy or physical comedy at all. He's a one note character. After Janney, the next strongest actor is the fat blonde from 3rd Rock from the Sun.

by Anonymousreply 207November 3, 2020 8:19 AM

The show was better before it focused so much on the AA group.

by Anonymousreply 208November 3, 2020 9:11 AM

Disagree. Hated violet, the idiot boyfriend and special son

by Anonymousreply 209November 3, 2020 9:12 AM

I think Lorre let her go, because he doesn't want another Charlie Sheen situation where Anna acts out, because she's so unhappy and mentally unstable (due to addiction issues?).

by Anonymousreply 210November 3, 2020 10:05 AM

HA to be something like that. You just don’t let one of your stars...already under contract...to walk away from a successful show. No goodbye scene = cannot risk having them back on set, even just for a week.

by Anonymousreply 211November 3, 2020 10:29 AM

It was obvious that she was fired. You gals are right. She probably has no other gigs lined up. Who wants a 50 year old washed up anorexic these days. She screwed the pooch.

by Anonymousreply 212November 3, 2020 10:35 AM

Washed up when she has fuck you money from seven seasons of a network sitcom?

by Anonymousreply 213November 3, 2020 10:40 AM

[Quote] The fact that they let her out of an iron-clad contract makes it pretty clear that it was either a health issue or that she wanted to move on and was such a pain in the ass that they just let her. I mean, she was one of the stars, so they wouldn’t undertake the decision lightly.

She's so relatable.

by Anonymousreply 214November 3, 2020 10:45 AM

I blame Chris Platt. He probably did a number on her.

by Anonymousreply 215November 3, 2020 10:46 AM

I doubt she has much, if any, saved. She is not a big A list actress, after taxes she probably has nothing left. She will regret it, hugely. I doubt she got more than 100k per episode. That's nothing.

by Anonymousreply 216November 3, 2020 10:47 AM

When I first saw it I did not realize that Anna Faris' character had children. I assumed the title refereed to Janey since she was the only Mom.

by Anonymousreply 217November 3, 2020 11:46 AM

Anna Faris was the straight woman? I've always seen her as a kook.

by Anonymousreply 218November 3, 2020 11:49 AM

Her character has run its course--they've gotten as much out of law school as they could. The AA group is much more interesting than the original set-up and can carry the show given the number/range of characters. The daughter was annoying and the son was more plot device than real character. I'm guessing health issues--there'd have been gossip about problems on the set.

by Anonymousreply 219November 3, 2020 12:20 PM

How long has there been gossip about problems on set?

by Anonymousreply 220November 3, 2020 12:23 PM

So the show did not always center on the AA group?

by Anonymousreply 221November 3, 2020 12:42 PM

Season 1 was all about Christie as the title Mom character. Season two they move to a new apartment due to Christie's gambling issues. The place is very small so kids are only in about half the episodes and they only have a few minutes per episode they are in. Around end of season two is when they switch over to focus on the AA bitches.

by Anonymousreply 222November 3, 2020 12:59 PM

I felt the switch to the AA women was very smart and all of them are very interesting in their own ways and they have great chemistry with one another.

When I first started watching the show, I was a bit disappointed that Anna Faris was very un-Anna Faris like. She's usually the source of the laughs in most of her comedies and is great at it, but she's much more of the straight man on the show always trying to do it by the book and stay on the right path. Being the straight man for a comic actor like Faris can get old quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if she was just sick of not having any fun with with the character on top of any other reasons she left.

by Anonymousreply 223November 3, 2020 8:08 PM

Good point. If Faris and Janney were both still train wrecks it would have been more interesting for her. But they did make her character true to life. Many alcoholics are too fucked up and toxic to ever keep a relationship long term. And the daughter played the role perfectly as many children of alcoholics hate their mothers with the heat of.... whatever.

by Anonymousreply 224November 3, 2020 8:17 PM

[quote]I blame Chris Platt. He probably did a number on her.

Don't you mean Crisp Rat?

by Anonymousreply 225November 3, 2020 11:13 PM

Chris Pratt had nothing to do with Ana's downfall. Her huge cunty ego is to blame. She was with Pratt when he was a fat nothing working at Parks and Rec. Then all of a sudden he worked out and became a huge star while she was still nothing but a C grade actress. Her career was nothing in comparison to what he became.

by Anonymousreply 226November 4, 2020 12:56 AM

I'm going to miss her. I've really grown to love the show this year during The Pandemic, since it's available free-on-demand. The show is definitely going to miss something special with her gone. Nothing against Alison Janney, who is great.

by Anonymousreply 227November 5, 2020 1:08 AM

The decision to drop the children and focus on her AA friends was also very wise. That daughter Violent in particular is a Grade A Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 228November 5, 2020 1:10 AM

"Violent?"

by Anonymousreply 229November 5, 2020 2:56 AM

How did Anna Faris get out of her sitcom contract early?

by Anonymousreply 230November 5, 2020 3:04 AM

r230 Not something you'll ever need to worry about again, Connie, since no one will hire you after what happened on "Fresh Off the Boat."

by Anonymousreply 231November 5, 2020 3:06 AM

Sorry, R229. Typo. The character's name was "Violet." And she really was a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 232November 5, 2020 4:44 AM

They already have Jaime Pressley in the ensemble who is a deadringer for Faris anyway ,they dont need to add anyone new.

by Anonymousreply 233November 5, 2020 5:37 AM

R231 she better make the most of those Crazy Rich Asian movies.

by Anonymousreply 234November 5, 2020 8:04 AM

She can play Meghan McCain in the Lifetime biopic.

by Anonymousreply 235November 5, 2020 8:22 AM

I have been a fan since the first season. I thought the dynamic between Faris and Janney was realistic in the way their characters sniped at each other, like members of a real family might. I also appreciated the fact that the episodes didn't try to tie up everything in a neat bow after 22 minutes. Some of the story arcs ran through an entire season.

I agree with posters here who found Christy's (Faris) daughter Violet insufferable. It wasn't the actor's fault; it was the way the writers chose to portray her as a mean-spirited tramp. Redemption often came in the form of her devotion to "Teen Jesus" boyfriend Luke. But I think Chuck Lorre made the right call to ease the show out of the nuclear family rut. That it became more of an ensemble show was brilliant in that it allowed more attention to be paid to the complicated lives of addicts at AA meetings and it showcased some fine female character actors who otherwise might not be getting well-deserved work. I am especially partial to Jaime Pressley's sometimes clueless rich bitch.

Faris' departure seemed preordained, given recent accounts of her drug problems. And, no, she wasn't given the usual sitcom sendoff. There was no very special episode chronicling her many scrapes over the run of the series. According to entertainment media reports, though, her character will be mentioned in upcoming episodes.

The one regrettable aspect of all this, in my opinion, is that there aren't likely to be any more episodes with scenes at The Rustic Fig, the Napa restaurant where Christy was an on-again, off-again waitress. French Stewart's head chef Rudy was comedy gold with his dyspeptic outlook on life, sex and the often empty braggadocio of wannabe four-star restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 236November 5, 2020 8:28 AM

Violet was just as fucked up as her mother. It was basically history repeating itself where daughter blames mother for her life sucking so bad. But with Christy the show managed to make her come around to forgive Bonnie, move on and have a somehow functional relationship with her mother. Last we've seen Violet she basically told her mom that she'd prefer for her to stay away from her for good in a passive aggressive "Don't call me I'll call you!" kind of way.

by Anonymousreply 237November 5, 2020 9:09 AM

I loved the character of Violet. She could hold her own acting-wise against anyone on the show. Her portrayal of an alcoholic's daughter was spot on. I came from an alcoholic family and I always hated my mother and my whole family. I cut them out of my life decades ago. Violet was not passive aggressive in telling her mother to fuck off out of her life. She had her awesome lil podcast and was pretty direct in telling Christy how awful she was and how she had no interest in ever seeing her again. That is what healthy people have to do with alcoholics. Kindly tell them to fuck off and never contact me again. In my whole life, I have never associated with drinkers, smokers, or drug users. There are way too many good sober people out there to waste any time with these losers. They did a great service to Violet in showing her living life independently and not co-dependent on anybody. She lived alone, paid her own way, and was a total success compared to her mother and grandmother.

by Anonymousreply 238November 5, 2020 9:37 AM

[Quote] The one regrettable aspect of all this, in my opinion, is that there aren't likely to be any more episodes with scenes at The Rustic Fig, the Napa restaurant where Christy was an on-again, off-again waitress.

Can't they have Pressley's character fall on hard time. "It's either waitressing or Onlyfans."

by Anonymousreply 239November 5, 2020 11:21 AM

That is a good point. I never thought about them having no reason to go to Rustic Fig but perhaps the fat blonde can be dating the other guy from 3rd Rock from the Sun. French Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 240November 5, 2020 11:26 AM

The problem with Violet is she is not funny. At all. It’s a comedy.

by Anonymousreply 241November 5, 2020 12:55 PM

Is she worse than Alicia Witt in CYBILL?

by Anonymousreply 242November 5, 2020 12:58 PM

[quote]She can play Meghan McCain in the Lifetime biopic.

The fat suit budget would be astronomical.

by Anonymousreply 243November 5, 2020 1:08 PM

Stop calling Kristen Johnston fat. Is that all you notice about her? She’s an incredible comedic talent.

by Anonymousreply 244November 5, 2020 1:17 PM

r244=Kirstie Alley

by Anonymousreply 245November 5, 2020 2:06 PM

I like the show a lot and watch reruns almost daily. I have cable so the show is Paramount Network and CMT (Country Music Television) in the afternoons and evenings. I will miss the dynamic between Janney, Faris, and the others but am also interested to see where this new development will take the series.

I've loved Janney since West Wing and Juno. I thought the 1st season or 2 focused on Janney as the Mom when she moved in with Faris and her kids. Then the show seemed to focus on Faris as the Mom as she dealt with her own kids.

Since we've mentioned the kids being mysteriously gone, what happened to all of Marjorie's cats???!!! I saw an episode where Kristen Johnson's character is at Marjorie's house, getting ready for a date. There are NO cats??

by Anonymousreply 246November 5, 2020 3:08 PM

Marjorie hit tough times. She didn’t love those cats, she kept them in case of an emergency.

by Anonymousreply 247November 5, 2020 3:17 PM

As part of Christie's exit, she should pull some strings to let Kristen Johnston's character replace her at the Rustic Fig. Johnston's character is an ex-con who is still trying to polish up her social graces, so a food service position would allow for lots of comedy. And it would reunite her with former co-star French Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 248November 5, 2020 3:32 PM

I'm sure the fat blonde will end up somehow at the Rustic Fig w French Stewart. No way they can let those two get away. I've decided after Janney, Jaime Pressley is the second best actor. She has serious acting chops and since she was also in My Name is Earl, she could always do comedy.

by Anonymousreply 249November 5, 2020 9:29 PM

I love this show. I will miss the Christie character, but I love all of the members of Bonnie's support group. The premise of this show is that you build a family with your friends. Bonnie will be able to "mom" young proteges who are getting sober, and Margie will continue to be the unofficial mom of the group.

I look forward to the season premiere tonight!

by Anonymousreply 250November 5, 2020 10:22 PM

That is the lamest stretch LOL. Let's just say your rectum is the "mom" to every cock in the universe instead. If anyone watches the 10pm premiere let us know what happens tonight.

by Anonymousreply 251November 6, 2020 12:37 AM

Chuck Lorre, if you are listening a spin off of Rustic Fig with French Stewart would be a much more interesting show than Positive B. I would so watch that show.

by Anonymousreply 252November 6, 2020 1:26 AM

Tonight's episode was funny and sweet. There were a few laugh-out-loud moments. I didn't even miss Christie's nervous energy.

by Anonymousreply 253November 6, 2020 1:26 AM

I only laughed once. It will never work without the star of the series. Like Cosby Show without Bill Cosby LOL. Christie is a moron now. She cannot figure out a 3 hr time difference. It is like Suzanne Somers being fired from 3s Company all over again. I doubt I will make an effort to watch this season but I'll hatewatch once in a while.

by Anonymousreply 254November 6, 2020 5:33 AM

"[R244]=Kirstie Alley"

That's so odd that you mentioned Kirstie Alley. I thought Kirstie Alley (instead of Kristen Johnson) was the actress playing the ex-con in the group. I guess Kirstie and Kristen have become the same person.

by Anonymousreply 255November 6, 2020 8:24 AM

^^^ THAT'S! IT!

I put up with the asswipe upthread who referred to me a buncha times as "the fat blonde," but you don't EVER compare me to or confuse me with that talentless, Scieno-psycho whale Alley! I will hunt you down and hurt you BAD!

by Anonymousreply 256November 6, 2020 10:30 AM

R264, yes Christie is a moron and kook! What show were you watching?

by Anonymousreply 257November 6, 2020 10:54 AM

Christie was never that stupid, stupid fuck. It is not like she was Chrissy in 3s Company who could not even tie her shoes by the end of her run. The whiter Chrissy's hair got on the show the dumber she was.

by Anonymousreply 258November 6, 2020 4:38 PM

[quote][R264], yes Christie is a moron and kook! What show were you watching?

What post were you reading? Because 264 doesn't exist yet.

Are you Miss Cleo?

by Anonymousreply 259November 6, 2020 4:50 PM

She was a dumb bitch, R258.

by Anonymousreply 260November 7, 2020 4:02 AM

I forgot all about this, what with the election and all.

What's with the dropping off of Christie at Georgetown? I thought she was already in law school! What did I miss?

Of course, I've only watched the first minute or so -- perhaps this is explained later. Still, I don't like it. It seems artificial (duh) and Bonnie (although I love Allison Janney) really looks old. Bless her heart.

by Anonymousreply 261November 7, 2020 11:40 AM

Janney is 61. She is old. Think of all the poor aids dudes in the 80s who never even made it to 30.

by Anonymousreply 262November 7, 2020 3:26 PM

Yes, I suppose at least they escaped looking old.

by Anonymousreply 263November 7, 2020 3:28 PM

Janney looks way younger.

I assume over time we will learn how the Georgetown thing came about.

Lorre was quoted this week not ruling out a guest return from Faris.

by Anonymousreply 264November 7, 2020 4:30 PM

That makes me wonder if Faris has gone to rehab.

by Anonymousreply 265November 7, 2020 4:32 PM

R264, Janney does look a lot younger. I was wondering if she had some work done over the hiatus, and if the new blond highlights are meant to district from that.

It sounds like the door is open for Anna/Christie to return in the future.

by Anonymousreply 266November 7, 2020 8:07 PM

Younger? You guys must not look at women as closely as I do.

And I really disliked this episode. It seemed artificial and saccharine.

I watched all seven seasons of the show and loved Allison Janney. But I guess I liked her interaction with Faris more than I realized.

I'll give it another try next week.

by Anonymousreply 267November 7, 2020 11:54 PM

I find Faris exceedingly untalented.

But I am sure she has loads of money. First of all, this sitcom is syndicated widely. SHe's raking in big bucks for that. Secondly, she was married to Chris Pratt during his biggest super hero movies. Under California law, she got half of all that when they divorced.

by Anonymousreply 268November 13, 2020 7:08 AM

R268 Nahhh. She has no money. Considering how they spend and their monthly expenses, she'll be a homeless girl in no time. I'm no longer calling it Mom since Christie's gone. I am halfway through The Bitches of AA. What a horrible episode. Unfunny. The white guy is super obnoxious. Jill accidentally donating 50k? Bottom of the barrel humor. This fucking show is finished.

by Anonymousreply 269November 13, 2020 9:48 AM

Without Christie, you can really see how annoying and intolerable every one of the cunts on this show are. Jesus! I hate all the bitches now. I'm sure the audience will too. The producers will regret firing Faris once the ratings fall to nothing.

by Anonymousreply 270November 13, 2020 9:57 AM

R249 I so totally agree with you about Pressley. She has a dynamism the other AA members do not. And it was an interesting choice to have the knock-out actress in a fat suit for several episodes. It seemed to me that her entire persona changed with the added weight. Even the way she talked. And her evolution from sexpot to being in a committed relationship with the burly cop also seems genuine the way she plays it.

by Anonymousreply 271November 13, 2020 9:58 AM

She wore the fat suit cuz she was preggers. Will Sasso was the funniest thing about MadTV. He is a comic genius. He is good even slumming it in this shit show.

by Anonymousreply 272November 13, 2020 10:02 AM

Finally got through the horrible episode and I'm so angry I wanna stab every one on the show ten trillion times. I don't know if I can sit through another epi.

by Anonymousreply 273November 13, 2020 10:10 AM

R269, the show hardly ever referenced the Faris character being a mother.

I watched half a dozen episodes and did not know that Faris was supposed to be a mother till I read it on DL.

The mom of the title to most people appeared to be Janney, especially since she is the better known actress.

by Anonymousreply 274November 13, 2020 11:55 AM

She was pregnant with twins wasn't she?

by Anonymousreply 275November 13, 2020 12:33 PM

Not on any episode I saw.

It seemed like a decent sit-com, but I stopped watching because a comedy about an AA group is hard to watch if you have been though addiction.

by Anonymousreply 276November 13, 2020 12:40 PM

Many of the cunts in this thread don't get that Faris was the star and focus of the show. No one else is interesting enough or fleshed out enough to build a show around. They are all stock characters. She was a comic genius and excelled at physical comedy and had perfect timing. If the producer's are going to replace her with that wretched white man who attacks and criticizes every person he comes across - this show is finished. And Marjorie would never be so clueless as to be with someone so cruel and vicious. If anyone came across someone so attacking and vicious they would never invite that fucker anywhere near them.

by Anonymousreply 277November 13, 2020 12:51 PM

R277, when you have a well-known actress playing a mom on a show called Mom, it is reasonable to think that she is the star and focus.

That may not have been the intent, but there you go.

The bigger question is why call the show Mom when the focus is an AA group.

by Anonymousreply 278November 13, 2020 12:55 PM

What R277 said. Mimi Kennedy played the lines written for her, but she's way too savyy an actress to have thought any of it worth doing. There's just way that Marjorie would be such a sap as to bother with that guy. Last night's was one of the worst episodes in the entire run of this show. And last night, they really needed to bat it out of the park.

Janney is a wonderful supporting actress. She was the perfect acid to Faris's sweetness. But moving her into the center square, making her the Mom of the titile... seems extremely risky.

by Anonymousreply 279November 13, 2020 1:03 PM

R279 Well said. I actually stopped watching the show around the end of season 5. By that point, it was so convoluted and not worth watching. I am a huge fan of both Janney and Faris. I thought Janney earned her Oscar in I, Tonya. Mom was always a comedy duo with Faris as the star and Janney as the supporting actress. Kind of like Faris as GG's Bea, the star, and her mother as the supporting actress but after Bea left the show it completely fell apart. The same thing is happening now with Mom. Faris is gone and the show is without a rudder and spinning round and round, going nowhere. You cannot do a show with nothing but stock characters or supporting actresses. GG's proved how quickly it falls apart. Bea was ALWAYS the only star and focus of the show.

by Anonymousreply 280November 13, 2020 1:15 PM

Marjorie fell for the guy who shared. And it made her completely oblivious how much of an annoying douche he is otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 281November 13, 2020 1:46 PM

Clearly you have at least 200 IQ points for noticing that. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 282November 13, 2020 1:48 PM

Poor Kevin Dunn. Nobody mentioned his name, and everybody, above, hates his character.

by Anonymousreply 283November 13, 2020 4:36 PM

This is just like when Bea Benaderet left Petticoat Junction to die :(

by Anonymousreply 284November 13, 2020 6:25 PM

I agree the first two episodes fell flat but I’m willing to stick around and see what develops. Apparently the writers were left in a lurch when Faris quit/got fired. It’s not easy to restructure a show, especially a long running one, under a tight schedule.

by Anonymousreply 285November 14, 2020 2:02 PM

[quote]The mom of the title to most people appeared to be Janney, especially since she is the better known actress.

Anna Faris always had top billing, and for most of its run, Janney was always in the supporting category at the Emmys.

by Anonymousreply 286November 14, 2020 2:44 PM

Yes. Even if they did get rid of the kids in season 3 and stopped focusing on Anna Faris as a Mom, she was still the lead/star. Bringing in that horrible new boyfriend of Marjorie is something I can never forgive. They may as well have replaced Janney with some random black girl. I predict the ratings will fall in half and whatever few fans remain will ditch the show like me. Janney and the Bitches of AA does not interest me enough.

by Anonymousreply 287November 14, 2020 3:29 PM

Faris is Lucy. Janney is Ethel.

"I Love Ethel" would never have been successful. And this change isn't going to be successful, either.

by Anonymousreply 288November 14, 2020 4:11 PM

[Quote] They may as well have replaced Janney with some random black girl.

Why black?

by Anonymousreply 289November 14, 2020 4:15 PM

Yikes. Some of you guys must be under the assumption that Majorie's new boyfriend is becoming the new lead or something. *facepalm*

by Anonymousreply 290November 14, 2020 4:43 PM

Nobody has suggested that the guy is going to become the new lead. But the character is so off-putting that no one wants him to be a recurring supporting character, either.

Perhaps its just bad luck for the show that this guy was cast, contracted, and the episode written, when Faris backed out. They really needed someone - anyone - to be more charming at this exact moment. Not less.

by Anonymousreply 291November 14, 2020 4:54 PM

I think he did a fine job with the monologue about his estranged son at AA.

by Anonymousreply 292November 14, 2020 5:03 PM

R292, I agree. I found him tiresome but his share revealed a very engaging, charming person. I think this is part of arc for Marjorie growth. I would like to see where it goes.

by Anonymousreply 293November 14, 2020 5:33 PM

An awful episode with a cliche character. A shame because that actor has terrific comic timing. The share at the end redeemed him, but this is a rare case where the character really needs to grow in order for not to kill the show.

by Anonymousreply 294November 14, 2020 5:42 PM

Of course you revolting cunts would defend such a revolting cunt of a man.

by Anonymousreply 295November 14, 2020 10:42 PM

British pathological liar who lives with his British mama in Napa and Tammy trying and failing to make the kitchen handicapped friendly. Lame. I never laughed once. Poor Janney.

by Anonymousreply 296November 20, 2020 5:19 PM

I enjoyed the episode. I teared up when Adam got the tiara for Tammy.

by Anonymousreply 297November 20, 2020 10:01 PM

Mary! That made you cry? Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 298November 20, 2020 10:21 PM

Yes, I thought it so sweet.

by Anonymousreply 299November 22, 2020 2:26 AM

I've never seen it, OP. But I adore Allison Janney, & love Anna Faris in "Smiley Face".

Also: I will never NOT want to fuck John Krasinski.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300November 22, 2020 2:36 AM

I watched the first couple of episodes...Christy who?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301November 22, 2020 3:50 AM

French Stewart is back! He's running a food truck, and he's interacting with Tammy (his 3rd Rock co-star). And it's hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 302December 4, 2020 1:11 AM

French Stewart is usually good. Glad they kept him in a new SL. Hope he and the fat blonde get together.

by Anonymousreply 303December 4, 2020 3:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!