Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

John Boyega unhappy again

Maybe he and Ray Fisher should have sex or something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164September 30, 2020 2:07 PM

Lol. This bitch. You still got paid, didn’t you?

by Anonymousreply 1September 2, 2020 2:22 PM

Perhaps they should have hired someone else. I don't disagree with his premise, but does he need to be the one to say it? This bitch is just looking for reasons to never get hired again by anyone.

by Anonymousreply 2September 2, 2020 2:27 PM

How many African American actors got passed over for this role so Hollywood can continue to cast black British actors who think they're entitled to stardom?

by Anonymousreply 3September 2, 2020 2:28 PM

I’m getting real tired of these actors whining about their billion dollar franchises that they willingly joined.

by Anonymousreply 4September 2, 2020 2:31 PM

I suspect the reason he was "pushed to the side" in sequels is that he wasn't very compelling in the first movie. He doesn't have a lot of on-screen charisma, IMO. He's been forgettable in movies both good (Detroit) and bad (Pacific Rim).

by Anonymousreply 5September 2, 2020 2:39 PM

I don't think the main point that minorities are under represented in these big budget pictures is an incorrect one, but I seem to recall some poster indicating that his character was marginalized because Boyega's onset behavior was so bad that Kathleen Kennedy threatened to cut him out entirely. And while I don't doubt that actors in the SW franchises have to put up with all kinds of crazy, as I recall, he *also* put some provocative shit out there on social media.

by Anonymousreply 6September 2, 2020 2:40 PM

Everything he said was true. It doesn't matter whether he is rich or not what are you saying is true, that's the point.

Some of you were the same ones who wanted to boycott the film because they cast a black guy as a Stormtrooper.

by Anonymousreply 7September 2, 2020 2:41 PM

He’s no Chadwick Boseman. That’s for sure.

by Anonymousreply 8September 2, 2020 2:45 PM

That bitch can't act.

by Anonymousreply 9September 2, 2020 2:46 PM

R7 of course what he is saying is true. But what exactly did he think he was signing on for? This corporate cash grab was never interested in telling a compelling story about minorities. It was a cold, calculated corporate paint by numbers plan to include minorities only insofar as it had to to seem adequately woke to be able to make a lot of money without pissing off the SJWs. All I’m saying is he shouldn’t be so shocked he wasn’t signing on for racially nuanced art.

by Anonymousreply 10September 2, 2020 2:47 PM

He’s not wrong. Abrams, Kennedy, and Disney were patting themselves on the back for their diversity only to do nothing with those characters. Kelly Marie Tran’s role was completely sidelined in Rise of Skywalker. Boyega’s Finn was supposed to be force sensitive (that was the big thing Finn wanted to tell Rey except that was never resolved on screen). Issac’s character was supposed to die in the first movie but Abrams liked him, kept him around and did nothing with him. Nothing wrong with a diverse cast. Make the characters meaningful.

by Anonymousreply 11September 2, 2020 2:50 PM

Just after he was hired for Star Wars he contacted Robert Downey Jr. and asked him what to expect now he's a movie star, watch any of the interviews with Boyega (especially the Graham Norton ones) and you can tell the guy thinks of himself as something special.

During the production of the second film of the new trilogy he threw a hissy fit because he wasnt in a shared starring role with Daisy anymore and Adam Driver had a larger role than he anticipated. For the majority of shooting Boyega's scenes it was about massaging his ego, until it got to the point that Kennedy stepped in and informed him if he continued to behave in such a poor way they'd re-write the ending, notice that his character is built up to make the sacrifice until the Asian chick saves him. Boyega will never be happy until he is considered a movie star.

by Anonymousreply 12September 2, 2020 2:55 PM

He's worth 8 figures. Fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 13September 2, 2020 3:05 PM

A drama bitch who can barely act and isn't good looking. The only way he can get attention is by bitching about 'diversity.' Save all that energy for acting lessons and being thankful for what you've got.

by Anonymousreply 14September 2, 2020 3:19 PM

[quote]Some of you were the same ones who wanted to boycott the film because they cast a black guy as a Stormtrooper.

What was the issue with a black Stormtrooper?

by Anonymousreply 15September 2, 2020 3:22 PM

What a stuckup bitch.

by Anonymousreply 16September 2, 2020 3:30 PM

Its interesting how much hate he gets here. How dare this young, unconventional looking black man speak out against these shitty movies? I bet if he looked like Michael B Jordan you whores would agree with him. Every time we have a thread about the latest trilogy, you people say the same thing he is saying about these movies. The general consensus is that these movies were poorly executed trash. Ive seen people here write the same comments about lack of character development in these movies. Every black actor should not have to wait 20 years on like Thandie Newton to let their true feelings be known.

by Anonymousreply 17September 2, 2020 3:38 PM

He is acting like Katherine Heigl, he is probably right, but that actitud will not get him more or better jobs.

by Anonymousreply 18September 2, 2020 3:48 PM

The problem with Kelly Marie Tran wasn’t her, but that she was saddled with an awful character. Now it’s not right that she had to put up with all the racist bullshit. However, the character was just awful and poorly written.

by Anonymousreply 19September 2, 2020 3:49 PM

Bad actitud

by Anonymousreply 20September 2, 2020 3:53 PM

[quote]Kelly Marie Tran’s role was completely sidelined in Rise of Skywalker.

This was after Boyega publicly chastised her for leaving social media because of trolls, right? Saying she should have been stronger when dealing with the trolls, like he is?

Let's not pretend like he cares about diversity. He's always saying sexist stuff or borderline homophobic stuff like "suck a dick" as an insult.

by Anonymousreply 21September 2, 2020 3:59 PM

Maybe his role got reduced because his on screen presence was lacklustre compared to fan favorite Adam Driver? And at the end of the day studios only care about money. They don’t want some SJW loudmouth actor bashing the franchise he’s currently in. What a diva.

by Anonymousreply 22September 2, 2020 4:22 PM

Boyega is saying he believes Disney capitulated to negative public reaction to the prominence of a Black character in the Star Wars storyline. It sidelined his character due to irrational blowback from a vocal minority of racist nutjobs.

I don't understand the criticism of him just for stating his dissatisfaction with his employer. I mean other than that he is Black and this is Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 23September 2, 2020 4:32 PM

Boyega really thinks very highly of himself. He was a minor indie actor before Star Wars, not really a star. He's now bitching about the franchise that made him a millionaire and sort of a star. Unfortunately he's overplayed his hand and is now thought to be a liability. Someone who's willing to publicly attack one of the most profitable movie franchises ever he himself is part of can and will do it again and again.

He's now attached himself to the BLM movement and it sounds like he's expecting to get better roles because he demands things to be so. I'm a white gay man and I've met enough bullying to totally emphasize with the struggles of black people so I'm not saying there's anything wrong with him being proud of his skin color. However he seems to totally lack any kind of humility and gratitude. He's demanding things to himself because he truly seems to believe he's entitled to them. He feels he's entitled to be a huge star who can demand script changes in productions with the budgets of hundreds of millions. Bitch, you're just a weird-faced mediocre actor who got the opportunity of a lifetime, or millions of lifetimes since that happens practically to no one, and he decided to piss on it.

This has absolutely nothing to do with his skin color. He's just a narcissistic asswipe, and as we know they come in all colors.

by Anonymousreply 24September 2, 2020 4:48 PM

Color me confused. There was already a prominent black character in two of the three original films, in 1980 and 1983: Lando Calrissian, a roguish good guy played by Billy Dee Williams. Of course, unlike Boyega, Williams is fun to watch and charismatic, even sexy. When you watch those films, you always look forward to his scenes. Agree with those who say this bitch is lucky he was plucked from relative obscurity. He's got nothing: No acting chops, no charisma, not even a campy sense of fun.

by Anonymousreply 25September 2, 2020 4:54 PM

[quote]Maybe his role got reduced because his on screen presence was lacklustre compared to fan favorite Adam Driver?

His role was poorly written and all over the place, because Abrams designed a shitty action movie from the get go. The character of a defected Imperial trooper had great potential, and it was wasted. The half assed romance plot with Rey could've been better planned by a Star Wars fan in the 3rd grade. And spare me with the Adam Driver bullshit, his troubled emo character was largely panned here.

by Anonymousreply 26September 2, 2020 4:56 PM

r25 Billy Dee Williams came on during ESTB, the whole production staff on that movie was made of movie making legends, unlike Abrams. His role would have been a hit even if he barely tried, because there was true talent at the helm of the film.

by Anonymousreply 27September 2, 2020 5:00 PM

He was pushing for a prominent gay storyline and homophobic Disney and producers shot him down.

Not understanding why the gays here would be against him speaking the truth.

by Anonymousreply 28September 2, 2020 5:01 PM

[quote] Kelly Marie Tran’s role was completely sidelined in Rise of Skywalker.

Kelly Marie Tran fucking sucked donkey balls, she is such a shit actress. And thoroughly annoying on screen.

by Anonymousreply 29September 2, 2020 5:13 PM

Blockbuster movies have too many cooks in the kitchen. It's all about juggling mass appeal. Oh sure, let's be diverse. Oh sure, let's have gay characters. Sure, let's make a movie EVERYBODY can like.

The problem is pandering to too many (minority) demographics leaves no room to actually satisfy any of them. It's a very cynical treatment of the so called PC culture where everybody gets a crumb and that should be enough for now.

Maybe it started with good intentions, but then other things happened, some other voices were heard and things got shuffled around, some things fell apart and then it was time to edit the movie. Or it was just lip service from the start.

Why pay someone and not use him or her to his or her full potential? That's the very idea of tokenism. Just paying someone to be around so the producers can point and say "see? We are all for diversity!"

by Anonymousreply 30September 2, 2020 5:18 PM

You have to ask yourself: "why was the original trilogy such a phenomenon yet this one got panned by critics and audiences?"

by Anonymousreply 31September 2, 2020 5:21 PM

R30

You got it a bit twisted. There were no real gay characters besides the extremely minor lesbians who got little screen time.

The cast, especially John and Oscar, were pushing hard for Finn and Poe romance and were shot down. It could’ve been a nice storyline but they wouldn’t allow it.

by Anonymousreply 32September 2, 2020 5:29 PM

R35 again. Forgot to mention handsome. Billy Dee Williams is handsome. And Boyega's head looks like a potato. The whole damn world is full of good-looking, sexy, talented black men. Somehow Boyega got the role instead.

by Anonymousreply 33September 2, 2020 5:30 PM

Somehow I don't think being cast in a tentpole franchise will be a huge problem for Boyega going forward.

by Anonymousreply 34September 2, 2020 5:33 PM

r30 Rogue One had an extremely diverse cast and movie was awesome. You can make a movie everyone likes, you need the right people making the movie.

by Anonymousreply 35September 2, 2020 5:34 PM

R33

So the only reason you hate him so much is you don’t find him attractive.

DL gays are so stupid and shallow.

by Anonymousreply 36September 2, 2020 5:35 PM

[quote] The cast, especially John and Oscar, were pushing hard for Finn and Poe romance and were shot down.

It was Oscar Isaac doing the gay baiting. Quick googling tells that Boyega at first opposed the idea but later on was more open to it. However did he ever truly push it, let alone hard?

by Anonymousreply 37September 2, 2020 5:36 PM

[quote] You got it a bit twisted. There were no real gay characters besides the extremely minor lesbians who got little screen time.

Uh, wasn't it announced with pride that there would be LGBT characters in the new Star Wars franchise? They weren't just added on the downlow hoping nobody would notice. The LGBT inclusion was promoted in the press and it turned out to what you described.

by Anonymousreply 38September 2, 2020 5:37 PM

R17 of course these movies are trash— hugely profitable trash that didn’t really require hard work from an actor. Shut up and be happy you were cast in them. Trashing these movies is for those of us who didn’t make millions from them just by standing there.

by Anonymousreply 39September 2, 2020 5:43 PM

[quote] R33 So the only reason you hate him so much is you don’t find him attractive.

R36, I'm not R33 but if you haven't noticed we've been discussing Boyega's over-inflated ego throughout the thread. Even if he was gorgeous he'd still be an asshole. Mind you I actually found him rather sexy with his thicc butt, and he is cute in his own way but for some reason he apparently thought he's the new Harrison Ford. He's nowhere near young Ford in star power or hotness, which actually do matter when A-list stars are created. He just expected it all to be handed to him. I wonder if he grew up being told by his parents how perfect he is.

by Anonymousreply 40September 2, 2020 5:47 PM

r35. Rogue One is a great example how to do it right. Call me a conspiracy tin-hat, but I think RO had less meddling, and as a result more freedom, from higher ups than the Abrams helmed franchise for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 41September 2, 2020 5:49 PM

They cut his role down because he CANNOT ACT and is UGLY.

He’s like Trevor Noah. It’s baffling how they got to where they did, they’re so unwatchable. They were expected to bring new audiences to their shows but instead, their irritating personalities and questionable looks killed them.

And ultimately, that’s what it boils down to. He’s pissed because every day he reads about how ugly he is online. Actors are such babies.

by Anonymousreply 42September 2, 2020 5:51 PM

[quote]They cut his role down because he CANNOT ACT and is UGLY.

And the others had Academy Award worthy performances? The movies are HORRIBLE. It had nothing to do with his acting skills or appearance.

by Anonymousreply 43September 2, 2020 5:59 PM

True that, R42 on Trevor Noah. I'm still trying to figure out how that happened.

by Anonymousreply 44September 2, 2020 6:07 PM

It's funny for all the big speeches he makes about black lives and how they should be equal in terms of storytelling, which I agree with, he only sleeps with white girls.

by Anonymousreply 45September 3, 2020 10:27 AM

[quote] Rogue One is a great example how to do it right. Call me a conspiracy tin-hat, but I think RO had less meddling, and as a result more freedom, from higher ups than the Abrams helmed franchise for some reason.

THEY FIRED THE DIRECTOR AND RESHOT THE ENTIRE MOVIE WITH THE SCREENWRITER, you blind bat!

by Anonymousreply 46September 3, 2020 11:04 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 3, 2020 11:05 AM

[quote]John Boyega has expressed his frustration at being “pushed to the side” in the sequels to his Star Wars debut The Force Awakens, saying that Disney gave “all the nuance” to Adam Driver and Daisy Ridley’s white characters in the later films.

Yes, why did Disney focus on the two lead characters instead of focusing primarily on the supporting characters?

by Anonymousreply 48September 3, 2020 11:11 AM

He’s like a black male Karen.

Maybe we can call them “Boyegas.”

by Anonymousreply 49September 3, 2020 11:14 AM

I'd call him Duchess.

by Anonymousreply 50September 3, 2020 11:36 AM

R48 It sounds to me like he thought he was going to be the main character when he was cast and working on the first film. That was obviously Rey.

by Anonymousreply 51September 3, 2020 11:42 AM

Star Wars characters have “nuance”?

by Anonymousreply 52September 3, 2020 11:47 AM

r12 he beat out tens or hundreds of candidates for that part, why SHOULDN'T he think of himself as special? Was he too uppity for you?

by Anonymousreply 53September 3, 2020 2:29 PM

R42

There is absolutely no truth to your post. You’re making shit up and presenting it as fact. Fuck you.

Many find him attractive, including myself. I’d let him ravage my hole anytime.

by Anonymousreply 54September 3, 2020 2:38 PM

Sweety r54, the easy access to your hole is hardly a parameter of anything

by Anonymousreply 55September 3, 2020 2:41 PM

[quote] [R12] he beat out tens or hundreds of candidates for that part, why SHOULDN'T he think of himself as special? Was he too uppity for you?

You can think you're special, and we all know most stars do, but when you start acting like your shit don't stink you've lost the plot.

by Anonymousreply 56September 3, 2020 4:46 PM

[quote]THEY FIRED THE DIRECTOR AND RESHOT THE ENTIRE MOVIE WITH THE SCREENWRITER, you blind bat!

Good! Lord knows Disney has enough money to reshoot the entire movie if they want. And that's what that bitch Kathy Kennedy should do instead of putting out these shitty movies.

by Anonymousreply 57September 3, 2020 4:49 PM

R53, yes, good point. Nobody criticizes white celebrities here, or ever calls them vain or egotistical. Only black celebrities, when they're "uppity."

by Anonymousreply 58September 3, 2020 4:53 PM

Are you kidding? White celebrities get raked over the coals here all the time.

by Anonymousreply 59September 3, 2020 4:54 PM

[quote] [R53], yes, good point. Nobody criticizes white celebrities here, or ever calls them vain or egotistical. Only black celebrities, when they're "uppity."

Is this your first day here?

by Anonymousreply 60September 3, 2020 4:56 PM

His whole character was basically a token black guy. His plotlines were just filler. Rey and Kylo were the two main characters of the trilogy, that's why they got "all the nuance" (typical example of a mouthy young SJW showing how undereducated they really are). And it would have been better if he'd died at the end of the first film, trying to save Rey. In fact when I first watched the second film I thought he had died and was surprised to discover that he had survived and had just been put in a incubator-like contraption.

by Anonymousreply 61September 3, 2020 4:57 PM

I thought all Stormtroopers were clones of the Temuera Morrison (who is Maori) character in Attack of the Clones.

by Anonymousreply 62September 3, 2020 5:04 PM

r60 he was being sarcastic.

Look people, the point is that what he's saying is correct. You guys cannot go on the Star Wars threads and trash the fuck out these movies, and then come back here and criticize him for saying the same things.

by Anonymousreply 63September 3, 2020 5:05 PM

r62 they were originally, but then more clones were added and regular humans were able to join the ranks.

by Anonymousreply 64September 3, 2020 5:39 PM

My theory is that the only timeline the majority of people care about is the Imperial era. They want the Empire vs. the Rebellion and Darth Vader. That's why the prequel and sequel trilogies got a lackluster reception, the Old Republic era and the New Republic era just isn't as interesting or compelling as the Imperial era. That's where all the drama and excitement is. Rogue One got a very good reception because it was set in that timeline.

by Anonymousreply 65September 3, 2020 5:43 PM

shut the fuck up r54 you stupid fucking publicist intern. He WENT ON TV and INSTA to clap back at everyone who was calling him ugly. You think I'm alone here? He has a face like a potato crossed with a toe.

But then, I bet you'd let a homeless guy lick your taint as long as his diseases weren't TOO contagious.

I repeat, fuck off and die.

by Anonymousreply 66September 3, 2020 8:41 PM

Lookwise, Boyega is no Michael B. Jordan or even a Chadwick Boseman. Compared to his peers, he's clearly not attractive and is nowhere near as good an actor as the leading Black actors.

by Anonymousreply 67September 4, 2020 7:52 AM

Maybe he is unberable but he is not wrong here.

Disney loves to be seen as woke but they are unable to deliver, even a show as family frienly as Love, Victor was a big problem for Disney.

It's obvious that Oscar Isaac pushing for a gay storyline was a nightmare for them because they love the attention they get for adding diversity and all that jazz but they failed big time at deliver.

It's perfectly ok if they don't want to add gay character but at least have the decency to not promote your film on gay media promising representation.

Everybody knows what happened with Boyega's character in China's posters, that send a message clear and loud

by Anonymousreply 68September 4, 2020 1:25 PM

exactly r67. There are plenty of goodlooking talented African-American actors out there, and they cast HIM? Again, if he were a fantastic actor (Jack Nicholson is no looker) nobody would care, but he's neither and complaining that they cut around him.

He has no star quality. Zero. Except for bitching. He's managed to reach Faye Dunaway levels of bitchery.

by Anonymousreply 69September 4, 2020 1:28 PM

I thought the storm troopers were all supposed to be clones?

by Anonymousreply 70September 4, 2020 4:32 PM

He is very smug and up his own ass. He is not a bad actor, but he is not a particularly interesting one. He doesn't have much range and doesn't have any sex appeal. Maybe it was his bad attitude, his ego, or maybe it was just they didn't know what to do with his character.

However, the last Star Wars trilogy was a complete shit show so he does make some valid points. The Force Awakens only worked because people missed the characters and the film cherry-picked the best bits of the first trilogy and worked the nostalgia factor. But then it was obvious when The Last Jedi came out that there was no overall story to connect the three films. It was a mix of egos and Disney interference when it should have had a clear vision to guide it.

The problem with Boyega and Tran's characters were that they were not very interesting or dynamic. It's unfortunate, though, that they were targeted by racists, when there should have been a demand for better writing for their characters. However, I'm not sure the two of them are strong enough actors to have pull it off. Isaac however has TONS of charisma and probably would have been the one to benefit from better writing. Ridley's character was dull.

It seems all of the Star Wars films have had issues. Moving it to Disney has been a curse.

by Anonymousreply 71September 4, 2020 4:50 PM

The recent SW movies have made battle scenes and CGI to be the main stars. As a result, new characters are not written for story advancement but as a sidekick to the plot. It’s not just black or other racial minority characters but all characters.

by Anonymousreply 72September 4, 2020 5:09 PM

He was one of those actors saying how America offers so much more opportunities for black actors but now seems to have gone full blown black supremacist. What a shame.

by Anonymousreply 73September 4, 2020 5:20 PM

Are there really five people who couldn't tell R58 was being sarcastic?

by Anonymousreply 74September 4, 2020 5:34 PM

[quote]The Last Jedi came out that there was no overall story to connect the three films. It was a mix of egos and Disney interference when it should have had a clear vision to guide it.

THIS. It is just unbelievable that they took the most popular, famous and lucrative franchise in film and pop culture history and didn't have a complete, concise storyline all mapped out before the first film even went into production. Everything should've been set in stone. The fact that they basically made it up as they went along is rather shocking with a franchise such as Star Wars.

by Anonymousreply 75September 4, 2020 6:04 PM

His character was very popular in the first film. It’s the writers’/directors’ fault for fucking it up in subsequent films.

by Anonymousreply 76September 4, 2020 6:10 PM

[quote] and didn't have a complete, concise storyline all mapped out before the first film even went into production

Absolutely. Had they followed The Force Awakens' story and style logically throughout the trilogy it might have turned out alright. For some weird reason they allowed Rian Johnson to write the sequel how he liked and of course he ended up destroying it totally. I hated The Last Jedi so much I still haven't wanted to watch the last one, especially since so many people apparently hate it.

by Anonymousreply 77September 4, 2020 7:20 PM

r77 you haven't missed anything by not watching the last one, believe me. It was a convoluted mess. Bringing the Emperor back just shit on the whole original trilogy and it was like they were desperate and just pulled that out of their asses the day before the damn movie started shooting. It was such a cop-out hack job.

by Anonymousreply 78September 4, 2020 7:29 PM

The Emperor and ten thousand Star Destroyers (each with their own Dead Star laser). Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 79September 4, 2020 7:34 PM

Yeah, each Star Destroyer could destroy a planet just like the Death Star. Unfuckingbelievably stupid. I can't believe the screenwriters weren't sent back to come up with something else.

by Anonymousreply 80September 4, 2020 7:37 PM

That butterface thinks he's a star?

by Anonymousreply 81September 4, 2020 7:38 PM

Ten thousand planet killing ships, but they had no navigation system of their own, and you could blow them up if you aimed at their Death Star gun. Shoot them in the dick, basically. Epic dumbassery.

by Anonymousreply 82September 4, 2020 7:41 PM

I think he's sexy as fuck. I'd suck his dick for at least half an hour every day. And swallow his jizz.

by Anonymousreply 83September 4, 2020 7:42 PM

Thank you for sharing, r83.

by Anonymousreply 84September 4, 2020 7:43 PM

Is he right? Despite the many ways in which Disney fucked up the films and how they let too many people do whatever they wanted so there was no cohesion... the story was always going to be about Rey and Kylo. Oscar and John's characters were always just going to be the sidekicks and not the stars of the movies.

by Anonymousreply 85September 4, 2020 7:52 PM

The third film was kind of a rush job because of Carrie Fisher's death. Not that that's any excuse for the shit they came up with.

Princess Leia was supposed to have a major arc in the last film, which imho was pretty stupid to begin with. I loved Carrie Fisher and her untimely death was tragic but this was a woman who for decades was a very well-known drug addict and suffered from severe mental illness and she wasn't getting any younger. You're really going to build a whole damn movie around a person like that? Not a very wise decision and of course look what happened.

by Anonymousreply 86September 4, 2020 7:56 PM

I did not realize there were so many "Star Wars" fans with such strong opinions at Datalounge. I am aware that there's an abundance of DL-ers who would seize any chance to degrade or disparage a Black man. I think 90% of the posts do not address, or even attempt to understand, Boyega's commentary. It is all just personal attacks because he is perceived as arrogant or without talent or -- God forbid -- "ugly."

This whole thread should disappear.

by Anonymousreply 87September 4, 2020 8:08 PM

Eh, all I know is I saw some clip of hin talking about he wasn't going to be "Disney Plus-ed", as if it would be so utterly painful and degrading to add more Disney millions to his existing Disney millions. Whatever you have to say about him and his face, his entitlement is way off the chart. Bitch needs to send his blood money my way.

by Anonymousreply 88September 4, 2020 8:10 PM

I have White Privilege yet I was sidelined too, WHY?????

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89September 4, 2020 8:23 PM

Honestly, once Carrie Fisher died, they should have gone back and reshot the last third of The Last Jedi - they had an out with her being sucked into space. They could have tidily written the character out and given her a proper send off.

Bringing Palpatine back in TROS didn't bother me so much - the fact that Palpatine was the mastermind all along could have made sense, he was the big bad in the first two trilogies - especially with the unceremonious way they just did away with Smoke.. It's just the way it was done - so ham handed and with very little exposition. It's not like Ian McDiarmid can't deliver an engaging soliloquy - the scene in Episode III with Anakin in the Opera House was completely engaging and I could watch him chew the scenery any day.

at the end of the day though, I am getting tired of Boyega whining about Star Wars - oh boo hoo you got to be in three Star Wars movies. And his talking about them not knowing how to write characters of color is bullshit - we're not talking about race in earth terms. The same rules don't apply in a galaxy far far away. Humans are humans.

What about the Rodians? Watching Han Solo gun down poor Greedo? Rodian Lives Matter!

by Anonymousreply 90September 4, 2020 8:57 PM

I forgot about that Disney+ comment r88. He came off as such an asshole. I bet most actors would dream of headlining their own series on Disney+.

I don't think Boyega is unattractive. In fact, I think he gets better looking as he gets older. But he's nowhere near as good an actor as Chadwick Boseman was or Michael B. Jordan is. Even in Detroit, Algee Smith and Anthony Mackie were far superior. Same with Jason Mitchell who was a good actor but a complete fuck-up behind the scenes.

by Anonymousreply 91September 5, 2020 12:39 AM

r84 You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 92September 5, 2020 12:41 AM

[quote]I forgot about that Disney+ comment [R88]. He came off as such an asshole. I bet most actors would dream of headlining their own series on Disney+.

I think perhaps Boyega is under the assumption that he's a "movie star" and movie stars don't do tv, which is ridiculous.

A) he's not a movie star and B) there is no longer any division between movie actors and tv actors. Those days are over.

by Anonymousreply 93September 5, 2020 12:48 AM

[quote]I think 90% of the posts do not address, or even attempt to understand, Boyega's commentary. It is all just personal attacks because he is perceived as arrogant or without talent or -- God forbid -- "ugly."

Exactly r87. Most of the comments here have nothing to do with what he's actually talking about.

by Anonymousreply 94September 5, 2020 3:04 AM

[quote] I don't think Boyega is unattractive. In fact, I think he gets better looking as he gets older. But he's nowhere near as good an actor as Chadwick Boseman was or Michael B. Jordan is. Even in Detroit, Algee Smith and Anthony Mackie were far superior. Same with Jason Mitchell who was a good actor but a complete fuck-up behind the scenes.

I think comparing him to (only) other Black actors is part of the issue he has identified. He is at least as competent as the other actors in the franchise and if his character's story had been more substantive perhaps that would be more apparent. His complaint is that Disney allowed his character to languish because he (the actor) is Black.

I don't know if that is true or false so I can't say he is wrong. I certainly can't begrudge him his right to voice his opinion. Any of us would expect that we could advocate for ourselves if we felt our employer mistreated or undervalued us.

by Anonymousreply 95September 5, 2020 3:48 AM

As has been said, Rey and Kylo were the two main protagonists in the trilogy. Everybody else was supporting.

by Anonymousreply 96September 5, 2020 3:49 AM

R75 has it in a nutshell. This "trilogy" was a mess. "Let's make it up as we go along! What could go wrong?!" I'm in no rush to rewatch any of the three films, and I have Rogue One and Solo on Blu-ray.

And I think Boyega has a lot of valid points, but definitely some ego thrown in. Daisy dealt with sexism, poor Kelly had sexism AND racism. You're not the only one who dealt with shit, John. But since no one else has posted the interview...here you go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97September 5, 2020 4:04 AM

Who is his agent? Monique? He is just ruining his career.

by Anonymousreply 98September 5, 2020 4:56 AM

[quote] Who is his agent? Monique? He is just ruining his career.

See, B*tch...

You are talking way out of school about sh*t you don't know anything about. If you want to invoke my name, get it right.

by Anonymousreply 99September 5, 2020 5:00 AM

I think John will be ok. His ego has definitely inflated the issues, but he presents his case (unlike Ray Fisher) and he's not batshit like Mo'nique.

by Anonymousreply 100September 5, 2020 5:08 AM

‘WHAT I SAY TO DISNEY IS DO NOT MARKET A BLACK CHARACTER AS IMPORTANT AND THEN PUSH THEM ASIDE’

I mean..where is the lie there? Disney hyped up a lot of characters as important who meant jack shit. Remember all the buzz about Gwendoline Christie's casting?? What a waste.

by Anonymousreply 101September 5, 2020 5:14 AM

Everyone can't have everything.

by Anonymousreply 102September 5, 2020 5:16 AM

[quote] ‘WHAT I SAY TO DISNEY IS DO NOT MARKET A BLACK CHARACTER AS IMPORTANT AND THEN PUSH THEM ASIDE’

They pushed you aside because you're a charisma free void. It's called Show BUSINESS. The fans spoke and they were almost unanimously uninterested in Finn. So what is Disney supposed to do- keep giving people what they don't want? Maybe if he actually registered instead of boring us all to sleep, they'd have used him better.

by Anonymousreply 103September 5, 2020 5:17 AM

Isn't the Star Wars fan base like 99% white anyway?

by Anonymousreply 104September 5, 2020 5:21 AM

R104 no.

by Anonymousreply 105September 5, 2020 5:22 AM

His character didn’t languish because he is Black; it languished because they didn’t know what to do with it. Like they didn’t know what to do with the rest of the series. They actually botched Finn from the start. They had an interesting premise of Finn crossing from the Empire and could have explored that more.

However they did pay fan service to the racists by diminishing Tran’s role in the last film.

by Anonymousreply 106September 5, 2020 5:22 AM

There was Lando...and... um...do wookies count?

by Anonymousreply 107September 5, 2020 5:23 AM

You could have pretty much cut-out Fin, Poe, Rose, Luke, Leia, Snoke and the story wouldn’t have changed much.

by Anonymousreply 108September 5, 2020 5:24 AM

[quote] However they did pay fan service to the racists by diminishing Tran’s role in the last film.

Umm, no. Rose was the most irritating SW character since Jar Jar Binks. She was like an overexcited yappy Pomeranian.

by Anonymousreply 109September 5, 2020 5:28 AM

I think Kelly did as good as could have been done with her character. Yes, she was annoying, but that was the script. M or G couldn't have made Rose a fan fave. Turning her into an extra wasn't fair.

by Anonymousreply 110September 5, 2020 5:29 AM

Another “woke king” mad that he sucked in a movie and is blaming the studio for getting sidelined. Lmao! Does he want to work again? I guess not. He was the LEAST interesting thing in the force awakens. It was all about Adam Driver because of how incredible he was. He’s a star. They gave us more kylo ren because we wanted more kylo ren. No one was asking for Fin. These Brits like to come to America, make their millions, reap the benefits, and then shit talk us when they’re back home. Here’s what I say: stay home in the first place

by Anonymousreply 111September 5, 2020 5:31 AM

[quote] They pushed you aside because you're a charisma free void. It's called Show BUSINESS. The fans spoke and they were almost unanimously uninterested in Finn. So what is Disney supposed to do- keep giving people what they don't want? Maybe if he actually registered instead of boring us all to sleep, they'd have used him better.

I wonder how much things shifted between TFA and TLJ thanks to Disney’s attempt to appeal to the Chinese market which is not welcoming, to put it kindly, to black performers or protagonists.

by Anonymousreply 112September 5, 2020 5:33 AM

Oh please, what OTHER films or projects has he done? He has no bragging rights.

by Anonymousreply 113September 5, 2020 5:38 AM

It's been discussed many many MANY times that the sequel trilogy had no framework. They ran it like a game of telephone. But I don't think anyone has ever explained how the fuck they did something that stupid. There should've been a frame for 7, 8, and 9 before a single scene was shot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114September 5, 2020 5:38 AM

He was lucky to have 2 seconds in any Star Wars movie. Who wants him in their film? Who wants to work with him now?

by Anonymousreply 115September 5, 2020 5:42 AM

He's proven the SW trilogy wasn't a fluke by underwhelming performances in Detroit and The Circle. He'll be wishing Disney + wanted him in a couple years.

by Anonymousreply 116September 5, 2020 5:45 AM

He even said at the BLM protests that he may not get hired again. And maybe he’s right.

by Anonymousreply 117September 5, 2020 5:48 AM

Boo fucking hoo.

by Anonymousreply 118September 5, 2020 5:58 AM

[quote]His character was very popular in the first film.

So was Chewbacca, but that didn't change the fact that he was only a supporting character.

by Anonymousreply 119September 5, 2020 7:38 AM

[quote]Billy Dee Williams came on during ESTB

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 120September 5, 2020 7:46 AM

This dude has a massive ego and thinks he's this big star. The "Pssh, you're not gonna Disney+ me" comment he made during the press tour for Rise of Skywalker turned me off of him. You're not Will Smith or Denzel Washington. Sit down the fuck down!

by Anonymousreply 121September 5, 2020 8:11 AM

R121 who wouldn't have a big up their ass, though? He spent Last Jedi in a dumb boring subplot and Skywalker running around shouting REYYYYY

by Anonymousreply 122September 5, 2020 8:15 AM

Michael Rappaport told him to suck it up

by Anonymousreply 123September 5, 2020 8:26 AM

I read the interview and Boyega has some good points. Disney made LOTS of promises with the sequels that they didn't keep.

by Anonymousreply 124September 5, 2020 8:35 AM

Ahem...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125September 5, 2020 8:39 AM

R125 I don't understand why this sagas want to be seen as woke. I just don't understand it.

The times people were just happy because they have a barely there gay character (with no story at all) are long gone.

Stop promoting your films as gay friendly and the complains will be way less than if you do what they usually do (a ready to cut for China market scene with character nobody knows)

by Anonymousreply 126September 5, 2020 11:22 AM

He proved that Disney is just as racist now is any time in their history. For that he deserves credit.

by Anonymousreply 127September 5, 2020 11:25 AM

Is = as

by Anonymousreply 128September 5, 2020 11:25 AM

Adam was good but I didn't find Kylo's story that interesting. The poor villain with a dark past has been done before.

by Anonymousreply 129September 5, 2020 11:34 AM

Curiously Adam was bashed by fans too.

These franchises have vicious fans

by Anonymousreply 130September 5, 2020 11:42 AM

"Color me confused. There was already a prominent black character in two of the three original films, in 1980 and 1983: Lando Calrissian, a roguish good guy played by Billy Dee Williams. Of course, unlike Boyega, Williams is fun to watch and charismatic, even sexy. When you watch those films, you always look forward to his scenes."

This is a bit of history rewriting here because there were Star Wars fans even back then who did not like Lando and were not happy with seeing a black man in their beloved sci-fi movies. I knew several of them. The big difference was that they had no social media to bitch about it endlessly and harass Billy Dee Williams online.

And lol to the poster upthread who praised the producers for Rogue One. That movie was a production nightmare from start to finish and it's a miracle that it turned out ok. Same with Solo, where they once again fired the directors several months into filming and hired Ron Howard to finish it. It's obvious that they have no idea what to do with this franchise.

by Anonymousreply 131September 5, 2020 11:44 AM

White heterosexuals should be blacklisted. For years, they have taken work from talented gays and actors of color. This stops now.

by Anonymousreply 132September 5, 2020 11:47 AM

Disney also needs to be broken up for the good of everyone and everything.

by Anonymousreply 133September 5, 2020 11:47 AM

[quote]This is a bit of history rewriting here because there were Star Wars fans even back then who did not like Lando and were not happy with seeing a black man in their beloved sci-fi movies.

I think Sci-Fi lovers more than the average person want an explanation for things. With Star Trek, it was clear that the Black and Asian characters were from Earth or descended from Earthlings, so it made sense that the various humanoids from Earth matched the races on Earth. Battlestar Galatica revealed that its racial diversity came from Earth. Other science fiction stories like Star Wars don't explain how there are white, Black and Asian people in space who didn't come from Earth. Are there different planets in that universe where everyone looks like black people on Earth or look like Asian people on Earth? Another thing that new Star Wars doesn't explain is how the male dominated civilizations of the original trilogy morphed into female or multi-gender control in only a few short years. It's very bad discontinuity

by Anonymousreply 134September 5, 2020 1:36 PM

The whole franchise has been "very bad discontinuity" since the second movie came out.

by Anonymousreply 135September 5, 2020 2:36 PM

They should replace him with Ray Fisher.

by Anonymousreply 136September 5, 2020 2:40 PM

R135 but at least it had Lucas's vision overseeing it, a constant in its inconsistency. Kennedy has no vision for the movies other than "the force is female", ironically in the 5 years disney has been producing star wars movies none of the directors have been female or a poc.

by Anonymousreply 137September 5, 2020 4:20 PM

Well, he didn't know Vader was Luke's father or Luke and Leia were siblings until he made the second movie....

by Anonymousreply 138September 5, 2020 4:30 PM

Ugly and a bad actor. How he got an opportunity as big as Disney? He probably has mad cock sucking skills.

by Anonymousreply 139September 5, 2020 4:35 PM

He should sue Disney then if he is so upset.

Oh, wait. But for what? They actually lived up to their side of the contract because he was in each film. He even had his own side story in TLJ. Maybe it sucked but go blame the screenwriter, not Disney.

He took the pay cheque and did he complain between films as he saw he was being "sidelined"?

He's not a good enough actor to put up with his whiny bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 140September 5, 2020 4:39 PM

[quote] Battlestar Galatica revealed that its racial diversity came from Earth. Other science fiction stories like Star Wars don't explain how there are white, Black and Asian people in space who didn't come from Earth.

BG had little racial diversity and no LGBTQ representation. It was still a great series. The idea that the origin of Black and Asian people has to be explained is preposterous. It is sci-fi. If there are other humanoids in the universe they are no more likely to be white than any other color.

Boyega's character was introduced as someone central to the plotline. There were allusions to him being a Jedi. Then by TROS, inexplicably, he was just an ensemble player with no significant part of the plot. If I were him I would be disappointed with my character arc too.

by Anonymousreply 141September 6, 2020 7:09 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142September 16, 2020 5:02 AM

who is he/she ????

by Anonymousreply 143September 16, 2020 5:08 AM

“Pushed to the side.” “Nuanced.”

Has he actually [italic]seen[/italic] any of these movies? Or the earlier films?

How “nuanced” was Han Solo?

by Anonymousreply 144September 16, 2020 5:09 AM

He is not heppy.

by Anonymousreply 145September 16, 2020 5:10 AM

Well, John, just be glad you haven't won an Oscar...'cause if you do, there's nothing left for you but heartbreak!

by Anonymousreply 146September 16, 2020 5:16 AM

I hope he'll be okay. This is really horrible and tragic.

I lost my job due to COVID, then I actually got COVID and couldn't pay my medical bills because of my job loss.

I'm lying here in my hospital bed and the only thing I can think of is poor John Boyega, pushed to the side but still got paid for his Star Wars role and his ad campaign.

I hope he is not suffering.

by Anonymousreply 147September 16, 2020 5:42 AM

Many people are not attractive. Unfortunately for Boyega, he isn’t either.

by Anonymousreply 148September 16, 2020 6:10 AM

Thanks for the article R142.

I thought ‘What’s the big deal being replaced by an Asian actor for the Asian market’ until I read that the original commercial was based on John’s life - his friends, family and experiences - and that the company just recast him IN HIS OWN LIFE ANECDOTES with an Asian actor.

That’s not just fucked up, that’s plain fucking stupid.

Like ‘are you sure this isn’t a satire?’ stupid.

ps. John was the company’s Global Ambassador.

by Anonymousreply 149September 16, 2020 10:09 AM

This is an awakening for Black Britons. For decades they were encouraged to assimilate and made to believe that British racism was negligible -- especially compared with America. However, I think now Black people are able to see the full scope of the ruin colonialism has cast around the globe. I applaud Boyega for speaking up. It is so much easier to remain silent and continue to reap the status and money that comes with celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 150September 16, 2020 4:59 PM

LOL at R147! I'm glad you can see the big picture & aren't caught up in your petty, whiny "I have COVID" concerns!

by Anonymousreply 151September 16, 2020 5:15 PM

omg his face is sad, how did he get cast in any good movies????

by Anonymousreply 152September 17, 2020 7:03 AM

No kidding, looks like someone hit him in face with a frying pan.

by Anonymousreply 153September 17, 2020 8:59 AM

He was also unhappy when Ridley turned down his advances multiple times during the filming of their first star wars movie.

by Anonymousreply 154September 26, 2020 9:13 AM

My god, look at that pieface at r142. And people think that's sexy? He's not even average hot. He's honestly hard to look at. Again, wouldn't be a problem if he were a great or even good actor, but nope, he's none of the above.

by Anonymousreply 155September 26, 2020 2:40 PM

He's hot. Has he done nudity?

by Anonymousreply 156September 27, 2020 12:38 AM

So many actors would gladly play his roles and wouldn’t bitch the entire time. He really thinks he’s the most talented man in the world doesn’t he?

by Anonymousreply 157September 27, 2020 12:59 AM

who cares what he says.....he is nobody

by Anonymousreply 158September 28, 2020 2:50 PM

The reason they were sidelined was because The Last Jedi stopped dead in its tracks every time it cut to the painfully dull subplot with Finn and the Asian girl. Bad performances and bad character choices.

by Anonymousreply 159September 28, 2020 3:29 PM

Speaking of Anthony Mackie, R91, I don't hear either him or Sebastian Stan whining about going from the Marvel movies to leading their own Disney+ show, The Falcon and The Winter Soldier. Or for that matter, neither have Elizabeth Olsen, Tom Hiddleston or Paul Bettany. I predict that in a couple of years Boyega will be begging Disney for a 7th billed role on a Disney+ series.

by Anonymousreply 160September 28, 2020 4:28 PM

Leave John Boyega alone!

by Anonymousreply 161September 28, 2020 8:47 PM

R161, we will.

by Anonymousreply 162September 29, 2020 11:56 PM

HE CAN SUCK MY YELLOW COCK

by Anonymousreply 163September 30, 2020 1:21 PM

I guess he's lucky that he was smart enough to wait until after the last movie had finished to start trashing it. He's already made plenty of money, and if he plays his cards right is set for life, so he can say whatever he wants and get away with it as long as he doesn't plan on ever working again.

by Anonymousreply 164September 30, 2020 2:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!